We Don't Need To Whisper Review

8.4
 8.4
 8.3
We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: Stevie B, on april 26, 2006

Sound: As many know this is Tom DeLonge's new band and they are very different to Blink 182 and Boxcar Racer. This is not a pop-punk or emo album but it is a true rock album similar to U2. This album has a lot of Tom's feelings in and he wanted to create atmospheric stadium rock which is exactly what has occured. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics differ from Blink 182 with songs about war and broken friendships but there are still songs about love which is what he general writes best. The lyrics fit with the music well and his voice, although not great, is very unique and this music suits it well. // 8

Overall Impression: This should not be compared to Blink 182 or Boxcar Racer as they are very different. The best songs on the album are Do It For Me Now, which stuck out instantly first time through, and Valkyrie Missle, which although has a huge intro, is an extremely well put together song which you may not like at first but really grows on you as a great track. What I dislike about this album is how much hype it has recieved. It is quite a good album but it is not going to be a stand out record in rock history like some people have made out. If lost I would get it again as it is something that can be listened to repeatedly. // 9

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: jem 22, on april 26, 2006

Sound: My first impression of the album was a great one. The first song on here is called Valkyrie Missle its a 6 and a half minute song. It has a great bass intro in the beginning along with sound effects the guitar is just about amazing. This song, Tom says, is a great intro because it describes AVA. It has some '80s sounding guitar. A lot of the album has a 80's sounding guitar. It almost sounds like the Edge's guitar from U2. The second song on the album is called The Adventure. It sounds as if you were in the future. The guitar in here is sort of like The Cure. Tom himslef agrees that it sounds like its from the future saying "This song is very anthemic and has a euphoric feel to it. Its got big programmed beats and guitar riffing that people expect from me, but it sounds like it comes from the future." The next song on the album is called The War. Its a surprising one because you think its gonna be another slow song but that's when the heavy stuff gets in. Tom wanted to make it sound as if soldiers were marching to this song. The 4th song on the album is called A Little's Enough. It's a great slow song with great lyrics a very passionate one indeed. The 5th song is called Distraction. This song has some more programmed beats, hand claps, and a drum role. The guitar in the beginning has a 80's sound then it goes to TOM'S style. Tom wanted to make the people imagine as if they were in a completly destroyed city and your passing through it all the smoke and crap that has destroyed it. To some people, I guess, think it's about Blink I don't know why I personally don't get the impression, but it isn't about Blink. It Hurts is the 6th song on the album I simply love the beginning it has a great intro. The bass drum on here is pretty cool because it goes in a pattern if you were listening to it right now with me I bet you would agree with me. Tom made this song for his friend plain and simple. He says "My friend has this girl friend that is the cheating type. It's a terrible situation where my friend is being crushed inside out by all the manipulative stuff taht she's doing and thats what this songs about." The 7th song on here is called Do it For Me Now. I dont think there is one song on here that doesn't have programmed beats. So therefore this one has some, well actually the whole song. Dont worry it still sounds pretty bad ass. The guitar has a crap load of reverb and the drums is basically by it self. The guitar is there but they just let the note ring. Belive it or not Tom says he wrote this song for a rapper. Yes I said it a rapper. He changed up the lyrics and made a kick ass song. The 8th song is called Start the Machine. Again programmed beats and just like "A Little's Enough" it's a slow song. It has a nice bass line and good slow drums. The lyrics simply speak for it self. The 9th song is called The Gift. It again has programmed beats and this song is the one that sounds like The Edge's guitar. The drums sound as if they are an electric drum kit. Some of the song though when they get out of the intro the acoustic drums nust out. The last song is called Good Day. Its a great song I love the drums and guitar, the programmed beats really go with the song, not that none of them go with the other songs but this one definatly fits the picture. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics here are basically self explanitory. Some songs aren't though. For example A Little's Enough has a part where they say god you may be a little confused. Well Tom wanted you to imagine this so START imagining, that what if we fucked up the world soo bad that God came down to earth and told us what were doing wrong and he fixed everything. Other songs I pretty much explained. Tom has a pretty good voice personally I like his voice but sometimes when people try to sing like him they whine! Why do they whine? Well I must admit some times it sounds as if he is but that is rarely ever. All and all these songs have personal messages that has been going on Tom's life. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said it sounds like some 80's bands and crap like that. I think you'll love each and every song. I love how every song has its own message/moral/metaphore. It is just a wise abulm that AVA has come up with I perswonally love A Little's Enough and Good Day. They are just wonderful slow songs and the instruments and vocals just inspire you. If it was stolen/ lost I would totally buy this damn album again! What you do with this album is entirly up to you. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: Kwokinator, on april 26, 2006

Sound: The sound is original. The material is very different from Blink 182, so if fans of them are looking for something Blink-like, they might be a little disappointed. The music gives a The Killers kinda feel. The guitars sound very Edge-like (guitarist from U2). So much controversy surrounds this album. What are the tracks? Who's playing in the band? I saw someone post up that the bassist from Iron Maiden was playing in it? Steve Harris? What Tom has presented us with here is original material and it shows he can make a decent album on his own. kudos to him. He said that this was going to be the greatest rock and roll revolution. Hmm I think its quite a bit shy of that. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are about the recent american invasion of iraq. Tom has drawn a lot of inspiration from how his brother had to go to the war. Another inspiration is the Blink 182 break up. The song Valkyrie Missiles (title track) is supposed to be about how something beautiful can come from something destroyed (Angels And Airwaves coming out of the ashes of Blink 182). Tom voice is a one of a kind. Passionate. Good skills. // 8

Overall Impression: Tom boasted the album would be over an hour. In the end only 1 track was over 1 minute. There are 10 tracks. You do the math. If there was something I could describe this album with is that it is overrated. I saw people so hyped up about this. Some people went so far as to write: "you guys are my favourite band." They haven't even heard the album yet. Others heard a 7 second preview of a song. They created an audio file of that 7 seconds just so they could hear it some more. 7 seconds! One track on the album (Start the Machine) is played on a toy piano Tom bought at a toy store. If he makes music using a toy piano and expects us to treat him like a professional, then I think that anyone that can play a toy piano is a rock star. if this album were stolen I would not buy another one. however there are a few good tracks, but one listen was enough for me. For those of you that will become a 'fan' of this band, think before you act. Just because these guys are going to get a lot of airplay and all your friends at school will listen to them, doesn't mean you should jump on the bandwagon. Blink 182 was an awesome band. If you liked them, it does not mean you should automatically like these guys just because one former member is in it. // 3

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2006

Sound: First off, I am a huge Blink fan, so the breakup of blink hurt me just as much as it hurts any of you. However, Blink's last album was by far my favorite album of theirs. It really showcased Tom's songwriting. So needless to say, I had a feeling that this album would be good. I absolutely love this album. I've listened to it every day for like a month, yes I illegaly downloaded it, but I almost made up for it by buying 2 copies of the CD. The sound is a lot more mature than anything I've heard from Tom. Grant it, the sound is very U2/The Police-like, it really is very good. The different instruments used on this album are amazing, such as the little toy kiddy piano on Start The Machine. I think that was a really cool thing to throw in there. I really don't think this album could be any better. Also, I love the guitar effects especially on "Do It For Me Now", the intro with the delay and the tremolo picking that kinda makes it sound like a helicopter, that's really cool. I just love the sound on this album. It's incredible. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album. They are very inspirational, especially on "The Adventure". The lyrics that I think are most impressive are on "Do It For Me Now", "A Little's Enough", "The War", "It Hurts", and "Start The Machine". The lyrics work very well with the music, it's almost completely flawless. Now we all know that Tom isn't the best singer ever, but I love his voice on the album. It's so different and unique and really adds something to the beauty of this record. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album is amazing, absolutely amazing. I really don't see why people are ragging on it. Sure, it does sound VERY U2- like and definetely has hints of The Police in there, but like Tom said, those are the kinds of bands he listened to over the last year, and all of us know that the music you listen to is reflected and inspires the music you write. The most impressive songs are definetely- "Do It for Me Now", "A Little's Enough", "The War", "It Hurts" and "Start the Machine". Those songs have the best lyrics out of any songs on the albums. The songs I really don't like are "Good Day"-great song, but the chorus is terrible, and "The Gift"-which is a wonderful song, but sounds far too much like U2, and "Valkyrie Missile"- I love every part of it, except it is very repetitive, but the end with the slides and everything is really cool. I love pretty much every part of this album. I love the lyrics, the guitar, the drums, the overall feel of it is amazing. It's a very inspirational CD. If it were lost or stolen, I would definetely but another copy, I can't live without this album. Here's an overal sum-up of the songs. 01. Valkyrie Missile - only song that reaches the 6-minute+ mark. However, about 2 minutes of that is an intro. The lyrics are very repetitive and creates the same feel throughout the whole song, without really changing. But it has a really cool ending. 02. Distraction - probably my least favorite song on the album. The intro is about a minute and a half of the same stuff over and over and over. It gets very annoying. The verse lyrics are very good, but the chorus "I'll be your distraction" is kind of just dull, and lacking imagination. It's just too bland. The end of the song is also very good with the "I'll be, I'll be yours" I really like that part. Do It For Me Now - one of my personal favorites. I love every single part of this song. The lyrics are absolutely amazing. This song is just classic. 04. The Adventure - great song. Lyrics are very inspirational. The music to this song is very good, very catchy. 05. A Little's Enough - my absolute favorite song on the CD. This song is a beautiful song. I love the chorus of this song and I love the ending where in the background Tom is going "Just A Little". The song is absolutely amazing. I love every part of it. 06. The War - a very powerful song. Every part of this song, lyric-wise, is just worn on the sleeve. Unlike any other song on the CD, this song starts out hard, mounting in frustration throughout the intro. Then the lyrics come in, and you're just taken back, by how powerful they are, and mixed with the music make this song just perfect. 07. The Gift - great song. Probably one of the best choruses on the album, or even in the last decade, in terms of a "love song". It's something you can say to a girl and just make her melt. This song is just absolutely amazing. 08. It Hurts - wonderful song. The angry lyrics in the verse are so catchy and fit so well. However, I don't like the "It Hurts, it hurts, it hurts... " It goes on forever, and even though it fits well, it gets old. 09. Good Day - I love the verses of this song especially the verses, especially the 1st verse "I should have turned back, I should have known better..." I love the pre-chorus "Oh I need you now.." But I really don't like the chorus, it lacks imagination. I think Tom was going for one of those- so simple, but so good types of things, and although this song is still fun to sing along to, he didn't accomplish that part in the song. 10. Start The Machine - one of my favorite songs. I love the lyrics in this song. All the lyrics. I love the kiddy toy piano in the beginning. That takes a lot of imagination to do that, and a lot of courage because Tom went out on a limb, and it worked. This song is a great end to the album, especially with the powerful bass line in it. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: stumaster18, on june 05, 2006

Sound: Well, to me, it's horrible. It's all stupid emo music, and there's only 2 good songs. Even though all the instruments suck, I like the drum beats. I really don't like the sound of this CD. // 3

Lyrics: Tom DeLonge. oh where do I start. You know how emo people put lyrics from songs in their MSN Messenger names and have crying faces around them? well, this CD is just phrase after phrase of that crap. Tom's voice is still intact. What happened? People who complain about Green Day's lyrics will have a heart attack if they hear this. // 2

Overall Impression: This is by far, the worst CD I have heard all year. It is no where close in comparing to anything by blink-182 or Boxcar Racer. This cd has only 10 tracks, and 8 of them are a bust. The best songs on the CD (and that's NOT saying much) are "The Adventure", which is the first and hopefully only single, and "The War", the only distortionized, heavy song on the entire album. If this CD were stolen or lost, I wouldn't even care. Complete garbage album, and I'm pretty sure we won't ever see anything else from this band in the future. No wonder Mark and Travis ditched Tom. Can't wait for Plus 44! // 2

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2006

Sound: I've heard this sound before many times. It was like I could see exactly what was coming before it even did, a blatant U2 and Police wannabe. You can only use and rearrange and use the same type of chords and chord progressions so much in this genre of music and this is just overdoing it. When I listen to a band I expect originality. If they "sound like" another band but aren't even as good, what is the point of paying attention to them. To put it short, its been done before and there are better bands out there. // 1

Lyrics: The themes are serious but the lyrics fail in their symplistic nature and pathetic rhyming patterns. Both the music and lyrics felt awkward together. The singer has talent but its nothing that you havn't heard before and isn't better than anything that it sounds like. There may be small traces of "emotion" but theres not much else to it. The voice makes the vocalist, not the emotion. // 1

Overall Impression: Once again, this sounds like other artists and thats the problem. It is trying too hard too be an '80s band when we are well beyond that. You can find MUCH MUCH better material if you just look back a few years and the funny thing is that it has the same sound but is much better. The revolution was a few decades late Tom. Also no matter how close you get to an hour, it's still not an hour. The CD was at least 10 minutes short of what was boasted. If I lost this cd, frankly I would be quite content knowing that my music collection was not brought down by this "revolutionary album." // 1

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2006

Sound: AVA definitly brings the Tom DeLonge sound. With hints of blink and Box Car Racer (which Tom plays "Down" and "There Is" at live shows), Angels will definitly sound just as good live as the CD does. There is some extra keyboard and synth sounds, and it could be somewhat hard to do all that as far as a live show. It's good to see Tom back with something, and with what I've heard with their "musical masterpiece in progress", I don't think Plus 44 will be as good. // 10

Lyrics: "Your a thief and a witch but I love you to death, you steal my heart and curse under your breath" is just a piece of the song "Do It For Me Now", which is definitly one of my favorite songs on the CD. These songs are beautifully written by Tom and Company. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think this album can compare to anything blink, or Box Car. You can definitly hear hints of both in the music, but being a huge fan of blink as I was, I can say that I love AVA, and I'm glad Tom has had the time to open up creativly, and do more now than he did with blink. As far as I'm concerned, Mark and Travis are dead to me now. AVA is all there is left. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: h0ax_c0d3r, on may 22, 2006

Sound: Angels & Airwaves have such a unique sound, which is totally different from Blink 182 or box-car racer. It is a true rock album for our day and age, I think they're nest album might have an awesome rock ballad. This band brings in a lot of differnet sounds into the album it doesn't take away from but it adds character and depth to the music. David Kennedy whom some know played in box car and Hazen street gives a great add depth in the melody, the verse wherever he is needed on his guitar. Atom Willard who was a drummer for so many bands in his musical career (American Hi-Fi Rocket From The Crypt, and most recently The Offspring) adds dynamic drumming which good to here after bands who just like to bust the skins on their drums. And the bassist Ryan Sinn who played in "The Distillers, and 400 Over Par" adds a good under part which just pulls the songs into on complete package. Then theres Tom, whom you all know, and his a guitarist/Lead Vocal for this band. And just sounds som much better in AVA than in Blink 182. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were great, its nice to listen to a record. If you spend time and listen to this record right before you go to bed with a candle for light and sitting on the ground and just let yourself go, you really understand the story (which takes place during WWII). // 10

Overall Impression: I'll buy it the week it comes out (this week). They just need market it better and it can be number 1 first week. It is the best album I have ever lisnted to (even "The Wall") I downloaded it before it came out (shame on me) but I can give you guys this almost biased review. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: boyan89, on may 24, 2006

Sound: The sound in this album is amazing. Tom has definetely made true rock on this album rather than the old poppy stuff he used to write in Blink-182 (they're an awesome band to though so I'm not badmouthing them). The guitars on this CD are awesome, the drums are breathtaking and the bass is simply amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Tom has definetely taken a more mature step in writing music with AVA. Tom can still sing on this album the lyrics are about relationships and have a lot of Tom's feelings on this album. This album is defenitely one if the best lyrical sounding ever to be made. // 10

Overall Impression: This album can compare to some rock bands out their like U2 etc. All the songs are amazing on this album I don't have a favorite but the most catchy one is probably "The Adventure." I don't hate anything about this album I love everything about it. If this album were stolen I would definetely buy it again. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: johnnybgoode1, on may 24, 2006

Sound: A new album which has come from a 'supergroup' of Tom Dewonge (Blink) and three other members from The Distillers, Offspring and Box Car Racer. The sound is along the lines of U2 effects wise but the sort of feel I get for it is that of Blink 182's final self titled album and Box Car Racer. It gives a feel of outer space by using the many different effects. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much basic in the songs, using themes of war, love and broken friendships, however in some songs the lyrics are really well thought through. Tom's voice has matured a lot which I think gives the band something, however in some songs, mainly 'distraction' it is slightly annoying and the range isn't exactly diverse, but like I said before fits the style of music. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I think the album is pretty good but once it's finished you feel the sense that it lacked something. The first track 'Valkyrie Missile' takes some time to finally start following effects but is overall a very good song, especially with the build up towards the end riff, which kind of reminds me of Blink 182. The next song 'distraction' is a down tempo song about war and is good in places, however the chorus becomes slightly annoying. 'Do It For Me Now' is the next song and is generally good, but in my opinion lacks that spark. The first single off the album 'The Adventure' kind of captures the overall sound of the album and is technically simple but as tom has showed throughout Blink, the simple chords and riffs make a decent song. 'A Little's Enough' is another down tempo song, with the harmonising used to be very effective. The simple riffs once again show that they make a good song, this does take a couple of listens to get into however. 'The War' is a pretty self explanitory song and describes well the type of conditions on the ebaches in the second world war. This also has quite a heavy quitar riff which leads into a calm verse, which I think makes the song very good. 'The Gift' is another down tempo song, but the vocals in this song are very powerful which brings the song to life. 'It Hurts' is in my opinion the best song on the album by far as it is very uplifting. The intro, verses, pre chorus, everything in my opinion is brilliant and is a must listen. 'Good day' the next song is alright, but is another slow song, in which the vocals can get slightly annoying in the chorus, however it is well structured. The final song on the album 'Start The Machine' is another song about the war and is the song which makes the album feel like its lacking something. Overall, it is a good first album, nothing incredibly special, but you feel as though there is something missing in it. I would give it a listen even if you are a blink, box car racer fan as it still has some good songs. // 7

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2006

Sound: All these rave review's make me a bit sick. Sure the guitar parts are cool but you would swear the edge was playing the guitar in every song. Tom says this is the greatest CD of the last 2 decades, but all he does here is recycle sounds from the past 2 decades. To make a truly revolutionnary record he should of look forward to create his own sound not imitate wat was done a while back. There are a few stong tracks such as The Adventure and Valkyrie Missile but there are so many weak tracks also. While trying to make this album sound so epic and anthemic Angels And Airwaves have made intro's that just go on forever and once the song really starts its like it just goes on and on. There is really nothing anthemic about the songs as they just go on and on without any really peaks. // 6

Lyrics: Wow, the lyrics. Some of the lyrics are great but some of them just seem corny. It is impossible to not associate or compare this band with Blink 182 because of Tom's voice. He does not have the most anthemic voice in the world. His voice is without doubt very original but it doesn't really fit the theme and style of the record. // 5

Overall Impression: This record truly dissapointed me because I was a huge Blink 182 fan and by the way Tom DeLonge was hyping this record up I was expecting something great. The CD have a few great songs but overall it is a great dissapointment. Tom DeLonge should realise that you don't need epic and grandiose songs to get peoples attention and make them love you're music as he did unintentionnaly in Blink 182. And to all you peple out their that love this record, I recommend that you actually go listen to U2's Joshua Tree and some The Cure records because even though you mention these in your reviews I doubt you have actually listened to them if you love this record that much. // 6

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: scrat-182, on may 27, 2006

Sound: Even though I'm into more of a fast rock myself A&A have really done it for me! There is a story in this album which makes it more enjoyable! They are totally different to Blink 182, they are not a metal or emo band but a true rock band which I think will allways be remembered! // 9

Lyrics: As we all know Tom is exallent at writing lyris! They really have meaning to them and fit well with the songs. I like the way they sing in harmony. It really gives the songs some feeling! I have to say though that Tom isn't the best singer but the songs allways seem to fit well with his voice! // 9

Overall Impression: Well compared to Blink 182 and Boxcar Racer, A&A are a big step in Toms career! They are a mature band as I would put it and I would really recommend buying the album! My favourite songs have got to be The Adventure, The War and It Hurts! They erally tell a story. Personally I love this album and if it was ever lost or stolen I would buy it again. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: Bored_2_Death, on june 01, 2006

Sound: Angels And Airwaves is way different than Blink 182's pop punk sound. This album's sound is now synth rock, similar to The Killers and U2. Tom takes the position of lead guitar and starts playing single notes more than his usual power chords. Palm muting in this album is a lot better than older Blink CDs. Tom and David even start using effect pedals. An example of this is the song, It Hurts. The sound of this album may not be pop-punk or any other type of music, but nevertheless, it still sounds awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Gone are the days when Tom wants to write songs about f--king a dog in the ass. The lyrics in this album are mature. These lyrics are inspired by how Tom felt when his brother had to go to war and the Blink 182 breakup. Tom still writes about love as he always does. All of the lyrics in this album are good, but I really, really, hate the parts where Tom or Ryan repeat a line in a song a lot. Examples of this are when Tom in the Adventure says "I cannot live, I cannot breathe unless you do this with me," about 10 times, the part in It Hurts with Ryan or Tom saying "It hurts, it hurts," a couple of times. But even those don't interfere with the overall impression of the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: As stated earlier, this album sounds similar to The Killers and U2. The intro for It Hurts even sounds a little like the one for the Killers' Mr. Brightside. My favorite songs of this album are Do It For Me Now, The Adventure, The War (has great guitar riffs), It Hurts, and Good Day. The latter being my least favorite due to the very annoying part where Tom says, "Do dada dodo dadada." I love everything about this album except for the parts where Tom DeLonge repeats the lyrics so much times. I absolutely hate those parts! Overall it was a great album and worth every bit of my dad's $10. If I lost it, I would definitly buy another one (the explicit version if I lost my old album). // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: sk8rocker, on june 30, 2006

Sound: The sound has both modern guitar and a bit of '70s and '80s guitar. It blends in all the right instruments and made one awesome CD. The music and singing blends like ice in water. No doubt that this cd has the most amazing effects in some of the songs. The guitarist does an awesome job in keeping it in the perfect volume zone as does the whole band. I also like to add that this cd is about war and human life. People should not think that a cd about that stuff is bad. It is true. They made this CD by reading WW2 books. They took pictures of WW2 and posted them on one side of the room and nothing on the ohter and in between they made a song. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a blend of love and Toms feelings. I the lyrics and music blend good toghter. It's not music to where the words dont go. The music is a good blend of soft easy music to rock music that makes you want to sing. The words go great with the the title of the song. The title of the CD (We Don't Need To Whisper) goes good with the singing because tom sings out not needing to whisper. Besides AVA Tom has had a great life being in Blink 182 and Boxcar Racer. He quotes "this is not a side job, this is the new other half of Tom Delonge". He wants people to be able to listen and understand what he is singing about. // 8

Overall Impression: This album compares to no other album out there. It is unique in its own way. Tom Delonge, David Kennedy, Ryan Sinn, and Atom Willard have created a CD that people can listen to and understand. The Adventure and It Hurts are the most impressive songs, but Start The Machine, and The War are also impressive. I like the CD the most becase I can get comfortable and turn the lights out and listen to the CD. It isn't a CD where its all headbangin or screaming. This CD is a perfect blend of rock and soft rock. If I lost this CD I would deff buy it again. I suggest that any Blink 182 fans should buy this CD. // 9

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: RLaunch, on august 29, 2006

Sound: Angels and Airwaves gives you a softer feel than what you might remember Tom Delonge for. The songs are often filled with exaggerated intros, but the mechanical as well as ethereal feel gives a nice touch. Tom's voice can get repetitive and annoying after a while, though. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics remind me of what a boy band's hired songwriters would write. It sounds like he's trying to get famous, which really isn't all that great. If you like that kind of phoney 'message' stuff, go right ahead. Whatever floats your boat. But Tom sounds like he's just trying to get lovesick. // 6

Overall Impression: Don't buy this album. Please don't. Even you crazed girls who just want to praise him like a god for his looks. Because that's all he has. My guitar teacher's brother-in-law has actually talked with the Man, and he says that Tom uses an auto-tuner on his mic. That's right, Tom can't sing. Remember Carousel? From Blink 182? That's probably what he sounds like. He basically sold himself out to try and get famous. He doesn't even play guitar anymore. So do yourself a favor, and waste your money on something actually worth buying. // 3

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2006

Sound: This album was suppsosed to be huge. With only the adventure being released concerts sold out in two and half minutes, thats insane. Tom said this was going to be the next nevermind. I love the album but I dont think its going to change anything. It sounds like Blink 182 meets The Cure. Most of the guitar riffs are very similiar to waht you would from Robert Smith, yet others are very Tom Delonge if you are familiar with his style it is him, with less descendants influence and way more cure. And the song Not Now by Blink could have made it onto this album would barely stand out. I like the sound a lot, but it's nothing totally new from Tom's guitar playing just with effects. // 9

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics are impressive. Some I absolutly hate including 'It Hurts x1000' or 'I'll Be Your Distraction' repeated alot. The song 'Do It For Me Now' was actually written for a rapper, that's kinda cool. The song Good Day has excellent lyrics one of my favorites same with A Little's Enough, about god coming to earth and fixing the problems. Tom likes to 'oooOOOoo' 'da da da da da' in most of the songs, and with this band he does have a different voice. // 9

Overall Impression: I wouldn't say it's better than Blink. Really you can't compare them because they are different. I would rather have blink if given the choice. I'm sorry to admit some songs are kinda boring (don't really catch your attention as something that will stick in your head). While others are absolutly amazing, including The Adventure, Good Day, and Start The Machine. I would definatly buy this album agian, I'm a hardcore Blink fan. I love The Cure and I love Blink so this album is great. I feel it might have been rushed or not tried hard enough in the lyric department but like I said some are really great some aren't. I would definatly buy this if you like The Cure or Blink, maybe not if you like Megadeth and if you like Fall Out Boy you would like this, but like I hate you. This is ten thousand times better then Fall Out Boy. // 9

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2006

Sound: Well here comes another Tom DeLonge (Blink 182, Matchbox) band, but with a new twist, it's actually good. The sound of Angels And Airwaves is purely amazing. It has an almost epic/star wars feel to it. Definatley something new in this day where the same stuff is heard over and over. After listening I have decided that the best/favorite songs are their current single The Adventure, Do It For Me Now, and It Hurts. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are amazingly deep for Tom, I honestly didn't know he could think like this. The lyrics cover many topics ranging from love to war and beyond. As for the lyrics they too are epic and match perfectly. Tom's voice has never been considered great by any means, but it too matches the music and he sings with enthuiasm that I think he may have lacked earlier in his career. // 8

Overall Impression: Angels And Airwaves debut album is definatley something impressive. Compared to Tom's other bands it pretty much takes the cake. I love the catchy guitar riffs that the band has in almost every song and look forward to hearing newer and greater stuff from a band I plan on following for most of their career. // 9

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: IwishIwasADog, on may 27, 2006

Sound: With all the endless repeats of textbook metalcore songs thats festering in our music scene at the moment its nice to hear there might be a sniff of something new around. That sniff turned out to be Angels and Airwaves, and original they are, with epic, '80s style guitar and huge, landscape echoing intros there sound is orignal and loveable. Imagine the cure except performing in the middle of space with the voice of tom delonge and the programmed beats of an alien on acid and you have Angels And Airwaves distinct blend of noise. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically Tom DeLonge has matured as he himself has said time and time again, with lyrics about war, love, heartbreak (can't miss the idea of pain in the chorus of 'It Hurts') and a general sense of emotional extremity from pain to euphoric chance. The lyrics suit the epic sense of the music and visuals AVA have exploited and suptisingly Delonges sometimes whinish cadence complements the strutcture, not only the fact its Delonge himself communicating the message, but just in general. AVA aren't about dick jokes and f--king your mum, although Blink 182 kick arse, they take emotion to a musical level and as Delonge says himself, when youre hopeless they can give you a 'launchpad to feel good' or if youre not feeling melancholy then youll get an earache. // 7

Overall Impression: AVA are indeed epic as Delonge and many other critics have quoted them and there sound is welcomed with so many blueprint bands clogging the limelight, and for those who understand love or emotion in general, they are a band you can relate to and can give you hope. If you want dick jokes and titty munching look elswhere you perverts. Epic indeed, best album in 20 years? Not quite but it pays to be optimistic. Standout tracks are the ovbious 'Start The Machine' and 'The War' but also the emotion of 'A Littles Enough' and 'It Hurts.' Were it stolen and I couldn't get it back id buy it again or take someone hostage until I got it back. I hear the queen is in town, that would do. // 9

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: zduke2010, on may 29, 2006

Sound: The sound (guitar) reminds me heavily of a mix of Tom's old band Blink 182 and The Edge from U2, if you go to Angels and Airwaves Website, www.angelsandairwaves.com, you get some more background. They really surprised me, even though I still miss Blink 182. This will have to do if I want to listen to Tom. Some songs like The Adventure, use special effects, very unlike Blink 182, and I think that Mark and Tom singing together is what made Blink 182 such a good band because Tom need Mark low voice to contrast with his high voice. I think We Don't Need To Whisper is worth borrowing from a friend at least. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are so different from Blink 182, that I didn't even recognize Tom the first time I listened to them, A&A use uplifting lyrics, which are so different from the hilarious lyrics used in Blink (First Date, Man Overboard, Feeling This), they are catchy and okay, again, it's not as good as Blink 182 but they're not bad either. // 9

Overall Impression: I think A&A got way too much hype, I mean they have a movie coming out and their first album came out what, maybe three days ago. I mean they're a good band and all, but I worry that with all this publicity they'll sell out really fast (overplayed on the radio, huge concerts). Tom tried to take his life in a complete 180 degree turn, and the first time I watched the video of The Adventure I thought to myself "Wow, who is the singer in this new band, I've never seen him before," it took me a week or so to realize that it was Tom. // 8

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: Jaguarman, on june 05, 2006

Sound: Tom DeLonge used to absolutely hate effects and synthesizing. He said it himself. But on this album, he goes completely out of his way to add sounds and effects to these spacey, swirling songs. Much more akin to Box Car Racer and the last Blink album than anything else he's done. He utilizes the amazing drum power of Atom Willard and the sick bass playing of ex-Distillers bassist Ryan Sinn to make a massivly powerful rhythm section. // 7

Lyrics: Suprisingly, Tom still manages to write great lyrics, albeit much less funny ones. He sings about love growth and war, and they are some of his most powerful ever. The band supposedly wrote the lyrics in a room with pictures of space on one side and pictures of war on the other side. I'm not sure what this did to the writing process, but the end result is incredible. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is unlike anything Tom has done in the past, and likewise for his punk rock rooted rhythm section. "The War" is probably the most agressivce track on the album, and I think Tom sounds best on "A Little's Enough". I love the multi-layered sound of the album, but there are a lot of over-extended intros or boring choruses. // 7

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: iambrennan, on june 10, 2006

Sound: The first thing I noticed about this album was the sound. To me, A&A make a big deal on making their music sound good. They made great use of computer-aided sound, and the actual playing itself, along with the vocals, earned them a 9/10. A&A seem to be about pure modern rock. No Emo, punk, or metal for them. This is how they should be. The subtle differences between A&A and Blink 182 are quite hard to come by in some aspects, but easier to in others. Such is the case with the lyrics. Angels and Airwaves seem to use more lighter-noted lyrics, and they seem to flow well, unlike some Blink 182 songs where the lyrics made few sense. Another difference is the way they approach a chorus or an intro. They don't seem to stall like in Blink 182's "Not Now", or "I Miss You". A&A flow smoothly, like any song should, unless you reffer to the atonal music of the early 20th century. // 9

Lyrics: Overall, I'm impressed with the lyrics. It's not every day one can take out a pad of paper and a pen and write down something with a futuristic theme like "The Adventure". Angels and Airwaves seem to know what they're doing with their lyrics, finally! A band who doesn't mess crap up by including overly explicit lyrics or through the use of horribly put together slant-rhyme. // 8

Overall Impression: To Angels And Airwaves: I congradulate you. Your first album has set the standard to what we hope will be many others to come. This ensemble of music and lyrics was amazing for your band's first release. I can see you men going somewhere. To the consumers: buy this album! It is exactly what you'd expect from Blink 182, with some changes. If you like strong, powerful lyrics meshed together with inspiringly catchy music, this album is the one for you. Until next time, I'm out! // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: minitruckssuck, on june 13, 2006

Sound: The Sound is absolutely amazing I love Tom and Dave's use of effects in their bridges, outros and solos and their use of kinda space like sounds especially the conversation between Tom and Atom at the beginning of Valkyrie Missile. // 10

Lyrics: My first thoughts when I got this CD were how much Tom's lyrics had changed since Blink 182 and how much deeper and meaningful his lyrics were, a good example is the track Distraction, can you really imagine the Tom of Blink 182 singing that? I also noticed how much Tom's voice has evolved and changed, in a good way. If you want to hear the difference listen to Blink 182's Wrecked Him then listen to Angels And Airwaves' Start The Machine. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this album is better than all of Blink 182's albums from a skills point of view and it is the beginning of something incredible. My favourite song off the album is The Adventure but it is better by about 0.00001% than the other songs I also think Valkyrie Missile Is a very important song for the album as it is the beginning of one the best albums of the past decade. I absolutely love everything about this album especially the lyrics but the only bad bit of the album is that I think that the line "I think I like today, I think it's good" from Good Day is a bit cheesy but that's my only complaint. If It were stolen I would hunt the person that stole it down and kill him because my copy is signed by the band and I absolutely love it to death. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2006

Sound: Now lots of people have let how Tom talked about this album influence how they review it. For starters no it isn't going to change the world, one album cant. However this album is a solid piece of work and is a nice change to the crap thats out today (not saying its new and never been done before). The band has some awesome songs with emotion in them like the adventure. The music complexity is far greater than that of Blink 182 and Boxcar Racer. I loved Box car and Blink but Blink had really simple and repetative chords progressions and boxcar had some f--ked up songs on it. I have a hunch that David Kennedy helped write in Boxcar Racer and Angels And Airwaves. The synth intro's are cool but the intro's are a bit long in distraction and valkyrie missile. // 8

Lyrics: Well the lyrics, Up and down is the way to describe it. Some songs have awesome lyrics and some dont. For example start the machine has awesome lyrics but the gift is pretty ordinary. The signer well such a different voice to any other singer. but I like the singing in this album however either lip sync or get better at singing live otherwise you cant pull this album off live tom, I'd prefer to hear it sung live than lip sync. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall its one of the best albums this year along with 10 000 days. I would buy it agian if I lost it. my favorite songs are The Adventure, Do It For Me Now, It Hurts, Start The Maching, Good Day. There is one song that doesnt live up to the rest in my eyes which is the gift. I'm sick of hearing so-cal Huge Blink fans saying this is shit I'm dissapointed in Tom. They are just cut that it isn't Blink 182. This is a new band hence it's not going to be what Blink 182 was. A great album overall if your open minded and not just someone who wants another Blink album buy it. // 8

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: thenewstyle6, on june 22, 2006

Sound: The sound of AVA is something that lives on me and is something new and more meaningful than Blink or Boxcar ever was. However Blink 182 and Boxcar Racer in my opinion are nothing like the sound of Angels & Airwaves. Expect stadium-rock meets The-Edge like guitar riffs followed by some Robert Smith influence in there. Tom DeLonge mentioned that he has never used guitar pedals and for this album the band used them numerous times. I like Tom's new sound that he has created. It is very futuristic and sets it self apart from all of the boring bands like Fall Out Boy with the same reptitive videos & songs. // 9

Lyrics: Classy. Tom finally wrote some songs that didn't revolve around anything involving sex & having intervention with a dog, I'm kidding. I'm actually the biggest Blink 182 fan and that is why I will always love Tom's lyrics. The lyrics no this album are something that I wasn't expecting, but once I listened to the album it hit me, that these are amazing. He maintains the epic-sounding words that grow on you and keeping the same love songs that have inspired me also. Tom may not have the greatest sounding voice but he has defenitly matured his voice since the Blink and Boxcar days. He no longer sings about growing up but realizing that even if we live in a world of hate, there can be something great found in the middle of everyting negative. Overall, the lyrics are very well thought out and sung. // 9

Overall Impression: If I had to compare this to any albums I'd compare it to Kiss Me. Kiss Me. Kiss Me. by The Cure of The Joshua Tree by U2. Valkyrie Missile reminds me of something New Order even U2 would put together, but with more of a Punk-Rock sound to it. The most impressive songs on the album have to be; A Little's Enough, Start The Machine, The War, and of course The Adventure. A Little's Enough is defenitly an emotional yet uplifting song that has a wonderful feel to it while The Adventure is all about waking up and saying to yourself, Hey, you know what, I'm alive, and that is all that matters. What I loved about the album is how the sound is nothing like what I expected it to be and it's much more climatic and emotional than anything either of these individuals have put together. The one thing I hated about this album is that the tracklisting doesn't really make alot of sense to me, they should have made it into an order where it would have really told a story of what the album is all about. If it were stolen or lost, I would for sure buy it again. All hale Angels & Airwaves. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 26, 2006

Sound: I would like to start off by saying this is the best album I've heard in a long time. I think it's extremly unique and no band that I can think of sounds close to the way that Angels And Airwaves sounds. I personally like the effects that they used for the guitars because I think it really gives it a unique feel and sound and it sounds almost like an adventure in a way if that makes sense. It sounds like a kind of space effect and I think part of the inspiration of the album was the unknown of space so they really accomplished their mission if they intended for the guitars to make you think of space. Honestly I've never heard a guitar effect like that before, and it really makes them stand out. The drumming is great. It sounds a little like euro rock, and I'm not a big fan of euro rock, but I like the sounds of the drums a lot, so I think that says alot about the skill of the band. The bass isn't the best I've ever heard, but not alot of songs have a good bass line in them, and ill admit there are quite a few good bass lines in this song. The best one I think is in the begining of "Valkyrie Missile" is the best bass line on the cd, but thats just my opinion. And last but not least, Tom's singing: in case some of you dont know (and there are people that I talked to that didnt know this, so thats why I'm saying this) Angels And Airwaves was made by Tom Delounge, one of the two singers from Blink 182, and the lead singer of Boxcar Racer. Now as for his singing, nothing about his voice has changed much since Boxcar Racer, he still sounds the same, and I love his voice because I think its unique, like Jordan Pundik of New Found Glory, but anyways, I love his voice, but ill be honest, at times I think his voice sounds a little unpolished and rough, but through most of the album his voice sounds great. // 9

Lyrics: I think that the lyrics are some of the best Tom has ever written. even after being in blink and Boxcar Racer for so long he still has the abillity to write great songs that dont sound alike, which is something that bands like Green Day lost in American Idiot. the lyrics are deep and go PERFECTLY with the sound of the music. I think the lyrics from some of the songs are really inspiring and make you wanna get up and go make a change in the world of explore something new and unique... its almost like listening to a fairy tale except its alot better... it just makes you dream and think and imagine, which is a great thing in my opinion. there are also some songs about war which are I think striking a blow against bush and the war that hes gotten us into... and the lyrics are great, but not as good as some of the other songs. and of course, we cant have a member of blink and not have a few love songs. I think the love songs are the best songs on the album, like "Do It For Me Now" and "A Little's Enough". they are very deep and I think they relate well to things that I am going through at the moment. heres and example of "Do It For Me Now": I really had it with the rain and the tears/The predictable storm that has come every year/And it sneaks from the shore with the bat in its hand/I'm trying I'm trying I'm trying I'm trying I can't/You're a thief and a witch, but I love you to death/You steal my heart and curse under your breath/But the one thing that I can most willing prove/That when you are gone I'll be fine without you. It's very down to earth and I think it makes sense, unlike some of blinks older songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I love Blink and they are one of my favorite bands, but honestly, I'm kind of glad because that they broke up because I don't think Angels And Airwaves would turn out as good. I think angels and airwaves is generally better than blink was, although its really hard to compare the two because theyre both pretty much totally different styles of music. I would encourage anyone who reads this to go out and make this the next cd they buy. You will not be dissapointed unless all you like is country or rap or metal or something. If you like any kind of music other than that I think you will be happy with this CD, no matter if you like rock, alternative, punk (punk rocks), jazz, blues, other stuff. Yeah you'll like it 'cause it's got a little of everything in it. // 9

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: aloveforenemies, on july 24, 2006

Sound: My first impression of Angels And Airwaves as someone who's held Blink 182 as their favorite band since 8 years old when I first saw the video to Dammit on MTV in like 97 was honestly amazed. I knew Tom Delonge was never gonna go back to the old school brand of pop-punk he had with Blink, (look at the last Blink cd and Boxcar Racer)But Angels And Airwaves, was better than I thought. It's got alot of U2 and Cure influence but still Tom Delonges signature style of songwriting. I honestly find that to be amazing. The cd has not one bad song on it. // 10

Lyrics: I can honestly relate to all of the lyrics in this cd. They're all well written, but I gotta admit there are a few low points in it. In "Good Day" the chorus line is pretty weak, "I Think I like today/I think it's good/Something I can wrap my head around." But overall the lyrics are really good. Tom Delonge was always good at penning good lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Amazing. I'm really depressed about the Blink 182 breakup, but it could be worse. Tom Delonge could quit music in general, so could Mark Hoppus. But Angels And Airwaves partly makes up for Blinks breakup. If you're a fan of Early U2 or The Cure, or even Blink 182s self-titled CD, this cd is for you. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: DelongeFootwear, on august 01, 2006

Sound: My impression of Angels & Airwaves and their sound is incredible. Each track can argueably be said they sound the same in a sense, but each track on the album uses different effects and keeps you hooked listening to it all the way through. The effort and thought put into this record really shows in the music. The sound is very much stadium rock such as U2. I really love how Toms guitaring abilities have really exceeded Blink-182. He has learned about effects and he knows equipment such as other guitar players just know how to stomp on a button for distortion. The production and mixing truely makes this album a breath of fresh air from similar sounding artists today. The style of the sound is very much futuristic. There is a lot of delay effect usage, flange effects, and chorus effects. Distortion is used in like 2 songs for a limited time. And through my experience of watching bands (old and new), the best guitarists always have a clean tone, which is exactly what Delonge and Kennedy are doing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are exactly what I expected after Tom's dilemma of Blink 182. Although, I figured Tom would write an album that emphasized his sorrow and his loss of Blink-182. However, to my surprise, The lyrics were nothing but influential and sends a positive message to listeners which is rarely seen in todays music scene. Tom's vocal range is limited and is probably not the best singer on the planet but he makes it work and sound beautiful throughout the record. My overall impression of the lyrics to this album is that again, its a breath of fresh air from Emo sounding lyrics and that Tom really outdid himself considering he wrote lyrics about girls, f--king dogs, and other silly things. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is everything I expected from Tom DeLonge after the dilemma of Blink 182's hiatus. This is a complete departure from the typical pop punk sound/lyrics like Blink 182 demostrated gracefully. It is similar to U2 where we see Tom's influence of The Edge. Highlight songs on this album are 'Valkyrie Missle', 'The Gift', 'Start The Machine' and 'Do It For Me Now'. This band like I said before is comparable to U2. I love how this band has a positive message and beautiful sounding music to accompany it. The only thing negative I can say about this album is that I wish there were more songs, 10 doesn't cut it for me. If this album was stolen, I'd go out and buy 2 more. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: musicfreak003, on august 23, 2006

Sound: The sound is actually pretty good and I'd give it a 10 if Tom didn't sing. His voice is unique but kind of annoying. Most songs sounded like the slower Blink 182 songs, which was a good thing. I liked how it wasn't pop and didn't sound "happy" like a lot of the Blink 182 songs. I personally think the drummming and keyboard bits sounded better than the other things. Angels and Airwaves would sound better if they're lead guitar actually played a few solos in some of the slow songs, such as "Distraction" or "It Hurts". Those songs sound like they need solos, unlike some "happier" songs by Blink 182, such as All The Small Things, First Date, and What's My Age Again. // 9

Lyrics: Again, this would have a better rating, perhaps 8, if tom didn't sing. As I said, his voice is annoying, sorry. His lyrics are pretty good, though, and not all about falling in love like in some Blink 182 songs. Obviously, most of the lyrics are about losing someone close and about war. Angels and Airwaves would be a better band if Tom still composed music but didn't sing. It's a good idea that he sang about the war with a lot of heart, but his voice just doesn't sound suitable enough for singing more "painful" songs. "Your best friend, is not your girlfriend!" from "It Hurts" is pretty funny, and it shows how Tom can add some humor to a depressing song like that. Sometimes, the lyrics sound a little repetitive. Overall, the lyrics have a meaning and sound good, though. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this album was pretty good and I liked it because it was deeper and more meaningful than anything else Tom has done. I liked how the music is very original, too. Unlike Blink 182, it's deeper and isn't just a bunch of "happy" songs, like All the Small Things, or First DateA few songs I liked were "Distraction", "It Hurts", and "The Gift". Again, I hated how Tom had to sing every song, and I think Angels and Airwaves would be better off without Tom singing. If this was stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy it again. Instead, I'd just download the songs if I felt like listening to them, because it isnt just that worth it, compared to something like Guns N' Roses, or Nirvana. Overall, it's a pretty good album, though, and I'd recommend it, if you were a huge fan of Tom Delonge. If not, you might as well just download it, because it's not that great. // 8

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: Tjskater, on august 30, 2006

Sound: 'Angels And Airwaves' have been compared in many ways to the world-conquering 'U2', who over the years have produced a very original Epic sound and changed the face of rock music, selling millions upon millions of albums wordwide and selling out arena's all over the globe. 'Angels and Airwaves' ambitions are no different. The debut album has produced a very much unique sound, but is by no means original, which in itself is the main bad point to an all round mind-blowing album. 'We Don't Need To Whisper' is based around a very Atmospheric, Epic rock sound, but also with the influence of the bands, specifically Tom DeLonge's, punk rock roots thrown in for good measure. The album is full of joy and sadness with and throughout it is taking us on a journey through broken heart's, friendship's and most dominantly, the break-up of possibly the biggest pop-punk band in the World, Blink-182, but yet with all that sadness, it still manages to give us the main positive message, Impossible is nothing. The main influences for Angels and Airwaves have been a selection, everything from U2 and The Police to World War 2 and the current War in Iraq. Everything that this band is about is developed through a large number of metaphor's about war and the creative passion put into the album is clearly felt, but unfortunately, so is the studio button creating the intro's for the songs, which can get repetitive and tiresome in parts. 'We Don't Need To Whisper' has, unfortunately, failed to meet up to the 'second coming of Christ' reputation, that, to be fair, would take some beating, but Tom DeLonge has clearly meant everything in this album and has truly created something special, but it stills leaves one question unanswered, 'Was it worth breaking up Blink 182 for this?' // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, all written by Tom DeLonge, are possibly the best he has ever written, and in parts, the best I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Even though the songs could have had that bit more, something, to make it a truly memorable album, the lyrics remain a true gem of writing creativity, in my opinion. 'They lay still black and blue, a gift from us to you' from 'The War' is specifically the main lyric that sticks in my mind when I think about Angels and Airwaves because that lyric on it's own, truly creates the atmosphere of the current War, and captures the full emotion of when someone just isn't coming home. Tom DeLonge has managed to create a successful mixture of lyrics, from the self-explanatory War influenced lyrics in, 'The War', to a more passionate side in, 'It Hurts' with lyrics like, 'How did I let her inside/We're dripping of sweat/And feeling alright' sang to the total quality of Tom DeLongue's voice, in my mind create the image of passion coming from a lustful situation which many of us have felt. On this album I think that Tom DeLonge has sang to the true best of his ability, his purely original voice taking on and I think, succeeding in his new found genre of Rock, this is truly an album that would only suit Tom's voice. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of 'We Don't Need To Whisper' is that it fails in the most part to take us to that place it promised, and with all the media build up from Tom DeLonge it was an anti-climax in itself. But having said that, the album still creates an amazing feeling for the listener and will, for many who haven't heard U2 at their best, be an original 10/10 album. I, however, would give this album 8/10, because it succeeds stongly in places, laregely lyrically and in parts, instrumentally, but fails to impress with repetitive introductions which seem to be there just to make the songs longer, becoming a pain and some songs seeming to slow, dull and in parts, depressing. When I was first listening through the album, with each song I had the feeling that there was something missing, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was, this adds to my disappointment. I would definitely recommend buying this album to anyone, young and old, but don't create a false hope of hearing something totally spectacular, because you will be slightly disappointed, because there is definitely something this album lacks but it is indescribable. But as for most Blink fans, it's obvious what this album truly lacks - Mark and Travis. Although Dave, Ryan and Atom are fantasitc musicians, nothing can really beat the magic that was created by Blink 182, no matter how hard Tom DeLonge tries. 01. Valkyrie Missile - the first song on the album, and the only song to reach over 6 minutes in length. The song opens with large cinematic sounds, with whispers throughout such as, 'I can see the sun coming over the horizon', before the song breaks into a great bass riff and then follows up into Delay washed guitars. The intro makes up for 2 minutes of this song, but is finally broken with the first words, 'Everyone, everyone will listen'. The song is a fantastic start to the album and really shows what Angels and Airwaves is about, already taking us on a journey and ends in a very powerful way, but does seem quite short after the introduction. 02. Distraction - this song again opens with a cinematic sound, but slightly less Epic as Valkyrie Missile. After a minute of this it cuts into a very powerful chorus, 'I'll be your distraction' and is followed up by very calm verses. This song I think, really creates an image of a war, and finding that special something amidst all the horror. 'It's a world of hate/Gone incredibly wrong/We cared to late/We just followed along' are the main lyrics that stick out for me to show possibly just believe everything we hear without question. 03. Do It For Me Now - this song agains open with a cinematic, studio created sound which plays throughout the verse with a strong backing bass line and a beautiful delayed guitar in parts. The lyrics for the verse I think show Tom DeLonge's true talent on show, 'I'm frightened at night and the wind has a roar/It seeps through the hall and from under the door' introduce us to the song, which I think is one of the best on the album. However I feel that the chorus is still missing something, but it is a good Epic tune about a relationship. 04. The Adventure - the first single from the album, starting much faster in comparison to the first 3, and it is possibly the most Epic on the album with again, delay driven guitars very much at the heart of it. The lyrics are so passionate and really create a sense of some sort of haven. 'Hey yo/Here I am/And here we go life's waiting to begin' takes us through the chorus with a powerful drum-beat consuming the sound throughout this and gives off such an amazing feeling. 05. A Little's Enough - a cinematic opening which made me think of a 50's film for some reason, seems very in place for this very beautiful song. The let down in this was for once, the lyrics, they were good, but they seemed that an alternative would of made for a better song. This song is about God coming down and fixing everything wrong in the World. 06. The War - a palm muted intro leads into the heaviest riff on the album, but then brings us back down into quite a calm verse and pre-chorus but leads us into a very impressive chorus, 'Why won't you tell me that/It's almost over/Why must this tear my head/Inside out'. I think this chorus was sang especially well by Tom, but for live shows it proves too much to take. My second favorite on the album. 07. The Gift - yet another cinematic opening, but unlike the others this is really beautiful and fits well with the song. Tom DeLonge's voice and vocals work very well over the music and consumes attention so it's completelty focused on this. The song is a lot more romantic lyric wise than the other songs, 'Oh God I feel like I'm in for it now/And how this kiss would be wonderfully vain/I swear I'll melt if you touch me at all/Then I'll ask you to do it again and again' show this. The chorus, like The War is very powerful, but not in volume, but overall passion. 08. It Hurts - possibly my favorite song on the album, I think the lyrics are well written, with a good powerful build up in the introduction. The verse is wonderfully written with a synth guitar effect being usedm takes us into my favorite part of the album, 'How did I let her inside/We're dripping of sweat and feeling alright/Her lips were the last thing touched tonight/Your best friend is not your girlfriend' - I think this is sang so amazingly and creates a full lustful scenario with the girl having total control over the guy. A very powerful song for anyone who's been in love and lost. 09. Good Day - beautiful sounding intro, takes us into a familiar quiet verse, another beautiful song, 'Oh I need you now/The Earth fell fast asleep/This room is safe and sound/Will you lay here with me and feel it' to me these lyrics create a scenario of, for some reason, a couple laying in a bomb-shelter with the guy holding onto the girl. This is a more relaxing song on the album that truly stays relaxing throughout. It's about everyday being the best day of your life if you give it a try. 10. Start The Machine - the final song on the album, starting in a very unusual way. Tom DeLonge told of a pink piano he bought for his daughter, and he played it in the shower, which I think is the strangest place to try it out, but the intro was created from that. This song is Tom's own version of the Blink 182 hiatus, but unlike 'No It Isn't' by Plus 44 [Mark and Travis' new band], it isn't direct, and uses metaphor's as the rest of the album does, to help Tom express his true feelings. I think this is a really good song, but may take one or two extra listens to really appreciate the full quality of it. A brilliant way to end off the album. // 8

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on september 01, 2006

Sound: This is an amazing CD, with 10 amazing songs, with 4 amazing band members, Tom Delonge, Atom Willard, David Kennedy, and Ryan Sinn. When Blink 182 broke up, I was absolutley devastated. They were my favorite band, but I'm glad Tom took a more serious side and formed Angels & Airwaves. Every song is beautiful, and so creative. I hope with their albums to come, they'll live up to Blink 182's reputation. // 9

Lyrics: Tom's lyrics show his more serious side. The titles of the song suggest they are about war, (which some are) but they also show Tom's feelings to everyone he loves. AVA made it into my top 10 favorite bands, and I know they will for you to if you give them a chance. Tom finds the exactly perfect tone, and pitch for the lyrics to fit with the song. This is a genius album. Tom has a great voice, and which is more amazing can play great guitar parts at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: Angels & Airwaves compares nothing to Blink 182, Tom's grown up, and now has a more serious side. My favorite songs on this album are "Valkyrie Missle," "Start The Machine," "A Little's Enough" and "The Adventure." They're all very beautiful, provactive songs, I strongly suggest this album. If you "liked" any of Blink 182's songs, you will love this album as much as I do. // 9

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: turnfoot, on september 27, 2006

Sound: The sound of this band is very different from anything that I've heard before. It sounds a bit futuristic at times. Especially on tracks like Valkyrie Missile & The Adventure. Tom said it himself that the sound of the CD is epic & atmospheric. I think that that explains the sound of this band quite well. They had a very interesting, if not, weird way of making the songs in the album. All of them would go inside a room, & on one side of the room they would stick pictures of the results of war & war itself. On the other side they'd put a huge TV. Then they would sit in the middle of the room & write songs. Tom explained that they did this so that on 1 side of the room they had the mistakes, pain & loss caused by war & on the other side they had emptiness & space. And this really reflects on their music. Since most of their songs are about war & have an atmospheric sound. As I said before, most of their songs sound futuristic & atmospheric. This makes them very original & different from all the other bands out there. // 10

Lyrics: I really wasn't impressed in their lyrics here. As most of them don't seem to make any sense. And those that do make sense seem to always have a connection or reference to war. But I have to say that the lyrics go pretty well with the music. A good example is The Adventure. The song is about looking to the future & moving forward. So they made the song sound really futuristic & spacy. Tom has always had a very unique voice & I have always liked this. I wouldn't say that it's the best voice out there, but I wouldn't say that it's bad either. // 9

Overall Impression: As always, here is my impression on the songs: 01. Valkyrie Missile - from the moment you play the CD, you know that it's going to be good. The 1st time I heard this song, I could only say "wow!" The most impressive intro I've heard, ever! Actually, the longest intro. Running about 3 minutes until the actual song starts. Also very epic & atmospheric. 02. Distraction - the intro of thie song can get a bit annoying. But the lyrics are the highest points of this song. 03. Do It For Me Now - I loved the guitar riff on the beginning of this song. A good example of "futuristic". 04. The Adventure - this is my favourite song. And also the best in the album. Loved the intro riff. Also the most futuristic sounding song in the CD. The chorus is definitely the best part of this song. But the entire song is just awesome. 05. A Little's Enough - the organ in the intro sounds really dark/weird in this song. The song makes up for it though. Good song. In the outro, they brought back the organ. But this time played it to sound atmospheric. 06. The War - very catchy song. Also the hardest song in the album. Tom said that he wanted to make a song that sounds as if soldiers were marching to it. 07. The Gift - this too is one of the best songs in the album. Probably the best chorus I've heard. The bridge & chorus is played with "traditional-african drum" sounding drums. 08. It Hurts - at first I didn't like the intro to this song. But it eventually grew on me. Good Song. About cheating in a relationship. 09. Good Day - the intro is very unique in this song. It starts of with the sound of snapping fingers & a couple of guys whispering. Almost all of the songs in the album have very unique intros. But that's not a bad thing. 10. Start The Machine - it starts of with either a toy piano or a xylophone playing. I'm not really sure. Most of the song is very subtle & simple. But it explodes on the bridge with heavy guitars & drumming. The toy piano/xylophone is definitely the best bit of the song. The outro is also really interesting. All the instruments fade away little by little until only the toy piano/xylophone can be heard. 11. Do It For Me Now (live) - I thought that because this is live, there'd be a couple of differences & improvs. But it still sounds like the original. This is a bad thing since it's just like the original only with Tom speaking in the beginning & screaming fans in the end. I really can't compare this to any other band I've heard. Since they are very original & have a very unique sound. The most impressive songs would have to be Valkyrie Missile, because of the epic intro, and The Adventure. I loved the fact that they tried to be different & created their own sound. As a rule, I never buy the same CD twice if it were lost/stolen. As it is just a waste of money. And I wouldn't care anyway since I have it in my computer. But even though it were stolen, I'd still hit the guy in the neck with a bat. I couldn't blame him anyway. Since it is a good CD. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: fli.pansy, on october 20, 2006

Sound: When I first heard that Tom Delonge had quit Blink 182, I was so disheartened for a long time. But then I heard that he was going to release an album of his own, I was jumping up and down until my brain went numb. But I think I jumped up and down too much for this album. Don't get me wrong. I love this album. But it didn't have much affect on me as a person. Sure the lyrics were powerful, and contained a lot of meaning, but some of the vocals didn't flow as well as I would've liked. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are perhaps the best thing in the whole album, other than some wicked guitars, destroying drums, and killer bass. Tom Delonge talks a lot about true love, and the pain that some people live through everyday. Tom said that in a way that made you want to change how you live, other than sobbing while you're listening to the album. His vocals in this album is addicting. Some hits such as "The Adventure", and "The War" include some of the best vocals I have heard from him ever since his previous album with Blink 182. // 10

Overall Impression: I was pretty dissapointed that I didn't love this album as much as Blink 182 (self-titled), but I got to hear more of Tom's voice, which was really the best part about the album. I would recommend this album to anyone who likes U2, or The Police, as I have heard from many people on UG who think that AVA is very similar to those bands. If I lost this album, I would probably go buy another one, since I love Tom so much. But if they come out with another AVA album soon, I hope that it will sound more like Blink-182. // 8

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: Dumpweed_182, on november 14, 2006

Sound: The album is great. Even thopugh their music isn't that heavy it is still good. The guitars on this album are very good especially the strumming which is very fast paced. The vocals are also very good even though Tom's voice sounds a little weinney. This is one album that you can listen to over and over again and still enjoy it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are one of the many strong points which make the album so good. They are very strong and you can tell they come from the heart. Both the lyrics and music go together in perfect harmony. Tom Delonge, the band's lead singer and guitarist hits every note perfect and his voice goes with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD one of my favorites out of my collection. It compares to no one else. It is unique and no one could make thier band sound better than this. My favorite songs of this album are "It Hurts", "Distraction", "Start The Machine", "Good Day", and "The Gift". I love everything about this album and hate nothing. If I were to ever loose or have this album stollen I would buy three more copies just to be careful. Angels And Airwaves are the best. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: andociompa, on november 22, 2006

Sound: We Don't Need To Whisper the debut ablum by Angels and airwaves. The sound of this band is a lot like U2. Electronic sounds are in every track. It is a good ablum, but the ablum has a lot of things sound alike that keep me think did the CD skip, haven't I heard this before? But the ablum has many good songs. // 9

Lyrics: As many of you know the singer is from the band Blink 182, Tom Delonge. He really changed of the lyrics from Blink 182. the lyrics and the music go along great, but he repeats several thing over and over again like In the song The Adventure he repeats I cannot live I can't breath unless you do this with me. He repeats that several times But his skills are good. // 8

Overall Impression: I really like the ablum even though it is nothing like his previous band. Some of the best songs of the ablum are The Adventure, The War, The Gift, It Hurts, and Good Day. If it was lost or stolen I would buy it again. But not a third time. I love the sound of the song but I hate the repeated lyrics. Overall It is a good ablum. // 9

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2007

Sound: Ok, before I say anything, I was a huge fan of Blink 182, but I kind of grew up and grew out of it. Boxcar Racer was very good, probably Tom's best lyrics ever, he put his emotions into the songs. Angels and Airwaves was just average to me. Yes, it's a different sound, very unique. That is the part I like about AVA, they went out and tried something new. But they didn't stand out as much as I thought they would have. I listened to the hole CD once, and I haven't really done that again. The drumming was amazing in my opinion, but everyhting else was just ok. Maybe Tom could quit using power chords, and do something new. // 6

Lyrics: Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with the lyrics. After hearing Boxcar Racer, I don't feel Tom put his true voice into the lyrics for AVA. There was no message in the lyrics, no hidden meaning. I believe that Tom has hiw own unique lyrical style, and with AVA he tried to break out of that style, and it jsut didn't workout. Of course there are some lines that stick out, but there just aren't very many of them. Tom isn't that great of a singer, but most of the time his voice sounds good with the music. This time, I felt that his voice didn't maych perfectly with the music. Tom is a pop/punk rocker, and he should go back to Boxcar Racer's style of music. If Tom wants to continue with this style of music, he should take a lesson from Jesse Lacey, one of the best songwriters ever. // 4

Overall Impression: This is more mature then blink-182, but not that much better. I prefer Boxcar Racer and Plus 44. The songs that stood out more to me were "Start The Machine" and "The War". I love the drumming on this album, but that is about it. There are a few splashes of lyrical depth, but just a few. I don't like the guitar, it's just too simple. I think Tom is lost without Mark and Travis. If my CD was stolen/lost, and I actually lost it, I wouldn'y buy it again. This band, in a sense, is a one hit wonder. // 5

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: xxloserkid182xx, on june 11, 2007

Sound: This music is a very different sound, definatley not what you would expect. The sound alone is extremely inspirational and emotional. When your hear it you feel over powered and filed with happiness, literally, even if you are the worst mood you could possibly be in. The music on this album is probably the best music you will ever hear. It's Very Very powerful. // 10

Lyrics: These are some of the most inpirational lyrics ever. They are the deep and meaningful lyrics I have ever heard and they are extremely easy to understand, you can understand the lyrics without even thinking about them and they get stuck in your head for days. The lyrics compliment the music extremely well, like a match made in heaven. The singer (Tom DeLonge) has an amazing voice, it suits the lyrics and music. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this album is very different to a lot of other artists music. All the songs on this album are amazing but some of the best would have to be 'Start The Machines', 'The Adventure', 'Do It For Me Now' and 'Good Day'. I love the way it was put together and all the different sounds that are used. If it were stolen off me or lost I would definatley buy this album again, no questions asked. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: blakehell182, on august 08, 2007

Sound: Angels and Airwaves is the part of the aftermath of Blink 182. When Blink 182 split in 2005, Tom Delonge (guitar, vocals) announced his new band Angels & Airwaves featuring band members David Kennedy(Boxcar Racer) Atom Willard (The Offspring) and Ryan Sinn (The Distillers). In December, Angels & Airwaves released a short version of "Valkirie Missle". This also released a new side of Tom Delonge. Normally, in Blink 182, and even Boxcar Racer (a side project with David Kennedy) Tom always created simple Punk riffs. With Angels & Airwaves, he used a lot more effects such as synth, delay, and even xylophones. Not everyone was satisfied with the new sound of "Blinker" Tom Delonge, however, The band released four singles of of their Debut album, which featured 10 songs. I, for one, love the new adventure that Tom has taken us on, and can't wait for the next one. // 10

Lyrics: One advantage that Angels and Airwaves has over Tom's former band members, now in Plus 44, is his lyrics.All of the lyrics on We Don't Need To Whisper take me away to my own world.The songs I most appreciate are "the gift" "Do it for me Now" "A littles enough" and "It Hurts". All of the songs make me feel as if someone actually understands how I feel. All of the songs are mixed brilliantly; each have there own style, and each have unique effects. Tom Delonge the most amazing voice I've ever heard.Some people don't agree, but it's there, throught We Don't Need To Whisper. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this is definatly U2-the Joshua Tree, relived in the 21st centry, along with all of the anthems U2 forgot to include. This Album is the most amazing thing I've ever listened to. I could honestly say there's not anything I would change. The most impressive song on the album is Do it For me Now. That song is simple, yet amazing. The outro in that song makes you feel like you're flying. If I didn't have this album, I'd definatly buy another one the seconed I needed to. // 10

We Don't Need To Whisper Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2009

Sound: Firstly, the sound is different from anything any of the members have attemted before in any of their previous bands, and its amazing. Many of the songs on the album have epic guitar riffs and synth build ups. I don't think anyone could have seen this coming after the break up of Blink 182 I think all the build up to this album was due, Its such a masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics are that they are truly brilliant, songs such as "It Hurts" and "The War" have angrier lyrics whereas songs such as "The Adventure" and Valkyrie Missile" are very inspirational. The lyrics to the last verse in "Start the Machine" stick out to me and portray what AVA is all about, and the music backing that verse completes the album brilliantly. Toms is obviously not the greatest singer in the buisness, but he has such an individual voice, it goes with the individuality of the music perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this is an amazing album, and you'd be missing something in your life if you didn't listen to it, whether you enjoy it or not. 01.Valkyrie Missle: an amzing build up that really sets the tone for the rest of the album, with a brilliant ending "Who do we think we are/we're Angels and Airwaves" 02.Distraction: another epic build up that at first seems quite odd, this is one of the best songs on the album as the lyrics and music completely suit eachother and it has a brilliant concept 03.Do It For Me Now: I remember when I first heard the album and this was the first song that really stuck out, the slick guitar riff and Toms vocals in this are amazing. 04.The Adventure epic build up that ends in what I believe is the greatest riff ever written. The lyrics to this song are amazing and inspirational. Definately the best song on the album 05.A Littles Enough this is a great song,it seems to evolve from one song to another, which is showing Toms blink roots. Probably the catchiest chorus of the album. 06.The War: a real "stand out song" compared to the rest of the album, its got a good heavy intro backed by meanful, anti-war lyrics. 07.The Gift: not my favourite song off the album, brilliant none the less, the chorus is beautiful and the bridge takes you to a different place 08.It Hurts: a good song, definately one of my favourites, Tom definately gets the point through that "You're best friend/Is not you're girlfriend", another "stand out song" from the rest of the album 09.Good Day: this is probably the worst song on the album but thats not to say its bad. Its actually really good and has good lyrics in the verse but looses it in the chorus. 10.Start the Machine: what a song. The bass fits the song perfectly and the Toy piano was a genious addition to the song. The final verse is probably the greatest bit of music ever composed And if I lost this I would buy it again as soon as I could. // 10

More Angels And Airwaves reviews rating latest review