Among The Living Review

anthrax: Among The Living
Release Date: 1987
Label: Megaforce/Island
Genres: Rap-Metal, Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
This is, without a doubt, Anthrax finest hour - a roaring, adrenaline-pumped collection of flailing beats, precise, razor-edged riffs and shout-along refrains.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.7
 9.9
 9.5
Among The Living Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 03, 2005

Sound: This has to be Anthrax's best album that they have ever released. It has one of the best metal songs of all time which are: Among The Living, Caught In A Mosh and I am The Law. Scott Ian and Dan Spitz are excellent guitar players. Anthrax is also one of the best thrash metal bands of all time. If you ever read the Megadeth Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? booklet it states that Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica were known as the four horsemen. // 10

Lyrics: I like the lyrics to each of the songs. I especially like the part in Among The Living when Joe Belladonna songs 'I'm the man with the power among the living follow me or die'. The lyrics fit the music perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that it's Anthrax's best work. The introduction to I am The Law is very complex. I don't hate anything about this album. If this album were stolen or lost I would be so mad I would propely go on a rampage or something like that. // 10

Among The Living Reviewed by: Azdogga, on may 13, 2006

Sound: Wow! And from out of the blue came Anthrax! Anthrax were basically unknown before this cd. It turned out to be one of the greatest albums of all time. Anthrax's sound is that of long and complex intros to songs before it settles down to let the easy-flowing lyrics do their stuff. They have lots of nifty little riffs in each song, and no song sounds like another one. Everything is precise and polished until it shines. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantastic. The Joe isn't the best singer, but he manages to make his fast, almost rap-like lyrics slot in beautifully with the guitars. In particular, "Indians" is the song that stands out the most. The theme of the lyrics is the terrible treatment of the native American Indians and shows Anthrax's softer side. Yes, even rock gods like Anthrax do have soft sides. // 9

Overall Impression: Not many albums could even hope to compare to this. Among The Living is up there with Metallica's "Black Album", Pantera's "Vulgar Display Of Power" and Slayer's "Reign In Blood". It is part of the immortal group of albums that you simply must get. Anthrax never made any where near the quality of Among The Living, so this is the Anthrax album of choice. If I was to lose mine, I would tear the world upside down to get it. The great riffs and laid-back singing just puts you in a good mood for the rest of the day. Go out, buy several copies, and give them to everyone you know, including yourself. Now. // 10

More Anthrax reviews rating latest review
+ Anthems [EP] 7.1 03/25/2013