Fistful Of Metal Review

anthrax: Fistful Of Metal
Release Date: 1984
Label: Megaforce
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
The album is original nonetheless and if you like Anthrax then you will like this album.
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Fistful Of Metal Reviewed by: Takeover, on october 01, 2009

Sound: Here's what you get on this album. High pitched wails, some operatic attempts, fast guitar riffs, and harmonies. From the opening riff of Deathrider you know that you're getting hit with Anthrax's best. Since this album was released in '84, it was still pretty early for thrash metal releases. I think only Laaz Rockit, Slayer, and Metallica had out albums. So for a lot of people this sound was still brand new. Much like the other of the big five's debut (Exodus not so much) it has a high New Wave of British heavy Metal influence. Neil Turbin has a high voice and does lots of screams which lets you know that their style is rooted in the NWOBHM. So again this is probably the best Anthrax album ever, and the only to feature Dan Lilker who would form Nuclear Assault and Neil Turbin who would form Deathriders.) And this album has their best guitar solos, riffs, and harmonies. // 10

Lyrics: This is where the album doesn't do perfect. The lyrics. Neil Turbin sings good enough so that lyrics don't matter. Some of them are silly and sound like they were written by teenagers, but they probably were so give him a break. This is supposedly also why Neil was fired. Unfortunately he never got another chance. But enough with that, even though the lyrics don't always display the poetic mastering of Megadeth's debut, the vocals are executed amazingly. Neil had something special. You can tell it isn't Joey. Joey (2nd anthrax singer) sounds much softer and restrained. More like a power metal singer I've always thought, while Neil sounds like a NWOBHM singer more so. He can screams, sing smoothly, and almost everything in between. // 7

Overall Impression: I think it is only fair to compare this to the other big five debuts. It is not as good as Megadeth's (Killing is my Business... and business is good.), it doesn't beat out Exodus's (Bonded by Blood), but is overwhelms Metallica's (Kill 'em All) by far, and Slayers (Show no Mercy). Actually Slayer ties with Anthrax. The best songs from this album are Deathrider, Panic, Howling Furies (for that kickass harmony), Death From Above, and Subjugator. I don't hate a thing, not even the lyrics. They fit the whole "young band making a debut" vibe, and make it a lot more fun. If it were lost I'd work my ass off to get the $$$ to buy another copy. Buy it, it beats all Anthrax's other albums. // 8

Fistful Of Metal Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on february 18, 2006

Sound: This is the debut album of thrash metal band Anthrax. Anthrax are one of the big four of thrash metal along with Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer. Most songs on this album usually have fast guitar riffs and great solos. The riffs are also great. The sound of this album kinda reminds me of albums like either Show No Mercy or Killing Is My Business. You can also get another version of this album where it comes with bonus tracks which is the Armed And Dangerous single. Armed And Dangerous is a song that appears on the 1985 release Spreading the Disease. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics usually got to do with death. When this album was released Neil Turban was the vocalist at the time. The lyrics fit well with the music especially in the songs Deathrider, Soldiers Of Metal and Metal Thrashing Mad. Neil turbin is an okay vocalist but most people propely prefer either Jory Belladonna or John Bush seeing that with the release of their second album Spreading The Disease Joey Belladonna was the vocalist. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is just as good as any other album Anthrax has released. All the songs are the same on this album so I wouldn't be able to say what the most impressive songs are. The album art is pretty col for this album with the freaky fist going threw the guys face. I don't hate anything about this album. If it were stolen I would definatly get it again because it is worth buying. // 10

More Anthrax reviews rating latest review
+ Anthems [EP] 7.1 03/25/2013