I'm The Man [EP] Review

artist: anthrax date: 04/06/2012 category: compact discs
anthrax: I'm The Man [EP]
Released: 1987
Genre: Thrash metal, speed metal, rap metal
Label: Island
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.5
 9.2
 7.8
I'm The Man [EP] Reviewed by: Kyle?, on april 06, 2012

Sound: At a time when music was starting to take itself a little too seriously, Anthrax decided to break the mould, and write a comedy rap metal song. With the main riff coming from a Jewish folk piece (Scott Ian and Dan Spitz being Jewish), it sets a rather bizzare scene. Musically, it's one of their most simple songs, nothing majorly complicated about its structure, with simple drumming (rare from a drummer as skilled as Charlie Benante) and the simple aforementioned riff. It bears more in common with early Beastie Boys than any thrash band (like I said, they really did break the metal mould) though there is a small sample of "Master Of Puppets"... As a music piece, it's pretty average, but that's not the reason behind this song. The Sabbath cover is pretty tight though, as you'd expect from Anthrax, good performances from all involved. // 8

Lyrics: This is where the song made it's name as a comedic piece. The band will start off each verse with a typical rap lyric e.g. "so listen up because you might get dissed" and ends with one member (I think it's Joey) messing up the final line (e.g. "Go drain the lizard or take a... Chair?") then getting shouted at by Scott for the mistake. The live version is even funnier, as the band get the crowd involved in the song, and it's live on the radio, and swearing isn't allowed, so the end features the band encouraging the crowd to shout "f--k". The band are in full voice on this, I believe that every member has a piece, a few get shout outs during the song (Frankie's never on time, he's always... Sleeping? LATE!) // 9

Overall Impression: If you want serious musicianship, look elsewhere, this is Anthrax having fun. It's nothing like their typical fare, no barrage of double kick drums, no heavy riffing, no piercing shrieks from Joey. I think it's one of their best albums though, the title track being just so different from normal works in their favour. // 9

I'm The Man [EP] Reviewed by: doomsdayscottie, on july 01, 2009

Sound: The production on this EP is more than excellent. The drums pound, the guitars rip, and the bass thunders. As far as stylistic sound, this is a bit of an odd turn for a metal band. The first two songs on the EP are two versions (the radio edit and the uncensored track) of "I'm The Man". This is an extremely funny rap song that will leave you on the ground laughing each time. The cover of Black Sabbat's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" is solid (with an odd jam at the track's end), and the live performance of "I'm The Man" is just as funny and well preformed by Anthrax and a willing audience. The EP ends with two Anthrax classics played live: "Caught In A Mosh" and "I Am The Law". These performances are amazing as well, with "Mosh" being my personal favorite track. I would suggest skipping the censored version (track 1), just so as to avoid listening to the song 3 times. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are drop dead hilarious on "I'm The Man." With "Joey" constantly "screwing up" the words and being yelled at by guitarist Scott Ian at the end of each verse. The vocals on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" are killer, and a fitting rendition of the words originally sung by one Mr. Ozzy Osbourne. The live tracks are all sung perfectly as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Perhaps the best part of this EP is the cover. It features the members of the band dressed up in hip-hop attire looking ridiculous. I personally enjoyed this deviation from the usual thrash of Anthrax. This is a solid EP and would recommend buying it if you can get your hands on it. // 10

More Anthrax reviews rating latest review
+ Anthems [EP] 7.1 03/25/2013