Persistence Of Time Review

anthrax: Persistence Of Time
Release Date: Aug 1990
Label: Megaforce/Island
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Rap-Metal
Persistence of Time rivals Among The Living as Anthrax's best album and might even be a clear-cut favorite if some of the songs had been trimmed a bit.
 9.3
 9.6
Persistence Of Time Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on february 20, 2006

Sound: This was the fifth studio album thrashed metal band Anthrax released. This album is a big improvement from their last album State Of Euphoria but State Of Euphoria was also good to. The album starts off with a clock ticking which is the song Time and around 40 secs the guitars kick in and the song is awesome. After that song starts the song Blood which is propely my favorite song on the album but then after Blood is over the song Keep It In The Family starts and that is a bit slower but then In My World Starts which is a good song. This song also has the song Got The Time originally by Joe Jackson but the Anthrax version I like better and theres also a video for Got The Time. Another good song on this album is One Man Stands which comes right after the song H8 Red and it has a cool intro and the rest of the song is good also same with the song H8 Red. Scott Ian, Dan Spitz and Frank Bello are three great musicians in thrash metal history. Charlie Benate is a good drummer to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to the songs on this album are great. I like in the song One Man Stands where the first thing you hear in the song is "The enemy is dead, I can't believe what I said, the enemy is dead, did he only exist in our head?" I like the lyrics just as much as the guitar riffs. This is also the last album that has Joey Belladonna as their vocalist. After that until that album We've Come For You All Armored Saint Vocalist John Bush is the vocalist for Anthrax. Joey Belladonna is a great vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums that Anthrax has released. I like this album better than State Of Euphoria. The most impressive songs on this album would be Blood, One Man Stands and Discharge. I don't hate anything about this album. If there album were lost I would definatly buy it again because it is a great album. // 10

Persistence Of Time Reviewed by: ThrashUnleashed, on september 29, 2011

Sound: Out of the Big Four, there's just something about Anthrax that has such a mass appeal. They started out with Speed influenced Thrash, then moved on to pure Thrash, and as their career progressed they added in a bit of Modern and Groove metal. But with the three pure albums, there's just something so special about the fact that they aren't special at all. No gimmicks with these guys. They aren't Brutal, they aren't Technical, and they're just natural. It's nice, refreshing, headbanging metal. The album appropriately starts off with clock ticking, the gradually increasing until the instrumental part kicks in. You might think that once the music starts it would just explode and go right into the killer riffing, but it actually continues to increase in speed slowly. This album continues to surprise you with subtle, minor details that go off the trail of typical Thrash metal. When it comes to the individual instruments, even though the main melodies and rhythms are always played by guitar, the drums and bass are incredible. Drummer Charlie Benante shows diversity by playing the thrashy beats you would expect, but also other techniques that end up sounding great. Frank Bello's bass keeps you grooving the entire album, never getting worn out. // 8

Lyrics: As for Joey Belladonna's vocal work, longtime Anthrax fans will not be disappointed. His ever popular style of combining quick, shouted phrases with rapid fire, spitting in words out in multiple succession is very much present. It's certainly an interesting combination, but it works so well with his unique voice. As for lyrics and song structure, it's pretty much a total Thrash formula. Low register but high power choruses with repeated lines, same old same old. But that's not what Anthrax is about. Yeah, so there's nothing innovative about the lyrics either. But Joey's special vocals make up for it all the way. This album also has a well-fitting cover of Joe Jackson's "Got The Time". Well, put it in the vault with Anthrax's other perfect cover. "Antisocial", and now "Got The Time". // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, while Anthrax is much better known for "Among The Living", this and "State Of Euphoria" - along with their other non-pure thrash albums - are truly awesome as well. I like a lot of bands, but I have no regrets or complaints when it comes to these guys. They have a well deserved place in the Big Four, and with the new release that throws back to this album, I'm sure they're not going anywhere. // 8

More Anthrax reviews rating latest review
+ Anthems [EP] 7.1 03/25/2013