Sound Of White Noise Review

anthrax: Sound Of White Noise
Release Date: May 1993
Label: Elektra
Genres: Rap-Metal, Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Sound Of White Noise isn't a peerless, groundbreaking album like Among the Living or I'm the Man, but it does return them to the esteemed state of metal masters that is their birthright.
 9.1
 8.2
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Sound Of White Noise Reviewed by: Sadlyno, on july 23, 2007

Sound: On "Sound of White Noise" Anthrax bursts at the seams with dark brooding anger. They found themselves in a new era of metal at the end of "Persistence Of Time". With the advent of "grunge" and an edgier metal on the rise they booted then vocalist Joey Belladonna for Armored Saint frontman John Bush, who's own band was sidelined by tragedy. The quality of this record is better than previous efforts mostly in my opinion due to Bush's strong vocals and time spent developing a thickness to the overall sound. Still Anthrax, but much beefier. They strayed from traditional thrash to create moods and emotions never heard before on an Anthrax record. I got this disc when I was 14 years old and it quickly became an all-time favorite, up there with "Master Of Puppets" and "Reign In Blood". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this one are pissed off and a little depressed, like a man whose been fired from his job, dumped by his girlfriend, mugged by thugs and kicked in the crotch and now he's come back with a shotgun to have his way with all of them. The grit in the vocals blend perfectly with the guitars and harmonies are expertly placed. Highlighted on "This Is Not An Exit" when he screams "love what I kill, kill what I love," just awesome. John Bush is like a more talented and soulful version of James Hetfield. He remains an unsung hero in metal and one of my personal favorites. // 10

Overall Impression: A totally new sound for Anthrax, this record doesn't compare to the older ones. It's not the traditional speed/thrash, that they used to be known for. It's slowed down and groovier while retaining that fuel for the fire mentality with lots of chugging guitars. Far more diverse and flowing, it doesn't lag so much with repetition like their past efforts seemed to. while it could have used a couple more "thrash" parts it doesn't lack in creativity. Standout tracks in my opinion would be "Potter's Field", "Room For One More", "Invisible", "1000 Points Of Hate", "Black Lodge" and "This Is Not An Exit". If this one was stolen I have to go kick somebody in the teeth, if I lost it I'd kick myself in the teeth then go buy 2 new copies! // 10

More Anthrax reviews rating latest review
+ Anthems [EP] 7 03/25/2013