Spreading The Disease Review

anthrax: Spreading The Disease
Release Date: 1985
Label: Megaforce/Island
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Anthrax's first album with vocalist Joey Belladonna is a huge leap forward, featuring strongly rhythmic, pounding riffs and vocals that alternate between hardcore-type shouting and surprising amounts of melody.
Spreading The Disease Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 11, 2005

Sound: This album was released in the year 1985. It's also Anthrax's second album. The music on this album is great. The bass introduction for Lone Justice is awesome. The opening riffs to the track AIR are great also. I think this has to be one of the greatest thrash metal albums of all time. Another good song on this album would be The Enemy. Scott Ian and Dan Spitz are great guitarists. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album is great also. I like the part in the intro to Madhouse where the crazy guy is laughing then the guitars cut in. The lyrics I like the best are in Lone Justice when Joe Belledonna sings "Burn 'em, clear the streets as he rides into town, cause the nameless one's gonna have some fun, gonna bring an outlaw down". Joe Belledonna is also a great vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that it is one of my favorite Anthrax albums and it is one of my favorite metal albums of all time. The most impressive song on the album would be my favorite Anthrax song of all time which would be Lone Justice. Another great song on this album would be Madhouse. If you ever played the game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City when you turn on V-Rock you will hear Madhouse because it comes on after Megadeth: Peace Sells. The album art is pretty cool too. I don't hate anything about this album and if I lost it I would go buy it again. // 10

Spreading The Disease Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2006

Sound: This is the album in which Anthrax became a heavy hitter in thrash metal. The razor-like sound of Ian and Spitz's guitars sound menacing and Bello's finger plucking bass (on his first album with the band) just brings speedy reminiscance of Steve Harris and beneath all that is Charlie's hard pounding drums. Just listen to the intensity of songs like A.I.R, or Madhouse. It's enough to make you wanna punch someone! // 9

Lyrics: Joey Belladonna's first album with the band. To Me he is one of the most underated or unknown singers in history. His voice is comparable to the likes of Tate, Dickenson, and Halford, which it's rare to hear a singer like that in thrash metal. The lyrics are pretty good with comic book heroism (Lone Justice), to being locked away (Madhouse) or being seduced (Medusa). // 9

Overall Impression: If you are a fan of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Iron Maiden, or Priest, than you will probably maybe definatley love this intense album. My favorite songs are Lone Justice, Medusa, Madhouse, AIR, and Armed and Dangerous. If it was stolen I would definatley download it to my mp3 player. I mean this is a very underated album. My only complaint is that sometimes the drumming in the songs get repetetive. // 9

Spreading The Disease Reviewed by: (...), on august 04, 2007

Sound: First of all, I love the production on this album. The guitars sounds great, the bass is decent, the drums are clean, and the vocals are not slaughtered by effects. I would think that this album can be barely called thrash. Some songs are really thrashy ("Gung-Ho," "Aftershock"), yet some are not so much ("Medusa," "Lone Justice"). Good solos, good riffs, and good acoustic sections are all to be found on this album. // 10

Lyrics: This is Anthrax's first album with singer Joey Belladonna. He fits the Anthrax sound perfectly, and sings great; one of the best around. The lyrics for this album are great, with very few "2 year old lyric" moments. The only reason why I rated this section "9," is because I am not particularly fond of the background vocals on a few songs. They sometimes sound like a robot (like on "Lone Justice"), yet sometimes they sound great, as found on "Gung-Ho." // 9

Overall Impression: I find this as one of Anthrax's best albums. It happens to contain one of their most famous songs "Madhouse," which I believe actually got some radio airplay. All the songs are so good actually, it is hard to find stand out tracks, although "A.I.R." off this album is probably my favorite Anthrax song. I love just about everything on this album. Lyrics, vocals, and production are just about perfect. For their second album, Anthrax did a mighty fine job. // 10

Spreading The Disease Reviewed by: GotTheTime, on august 15, 2008

Sound: Spreading the Disease is Anthrax's second studio album, and the first to feature both Joey Belladonna and Frank Bello. Because Belladonna has a slightly more melodic voice than Neil Turbin, the voaclist on their debut Fistful Of Metal, the band also becomes a bit more melodic. Honestly, it sounds like a rougher Iron Maiden. But the style of Anthrax (specifically drummer Charlie Benante and guitarist Scott Ian) is there, from the mid-tempo bridges to the amazing drumming of Charlie Benante. // 8

Lyrics: Belladonna's style, while not radically different from Turbin's, is cleaner, if nothing else. The best way to describe it is a cross between Steve Perry of Journey and Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden. But Belladonna blends well with Anthrax's sound even when his vocals don't follow the guitar. His only weakness is to be on the thrashier songs such as Gung-Ho, where he sounds a little out of place. Keyword being a little; he still sounds good. It's just that the rest of the songs sound effortless (in the good way). Lyrically, the album is quite varied. "Armed and Dangerous" and "Gung-Ho" were both written by former singer Neil Turbin, and "Medusa" has lyrics written by none other than Johny Zazula, founder of Megaforce Records. All of them fare well. Overall though, the lyrics are quite strong, the best being "Lone Justice", a song about an old west vigilante, and AIR. However, I can't help but feel writing about the Holocaust has been done (although if anyone should, it's Ian and Spitz, who are actually Jewish). // 8

Overall Impression: Ultimately, Spreading the Disease is a logical stepping stone one the way to Among the Living, Anthrax's finest album. On Spreading the Disease, they just can't quite seem to fine the perfect blend of hardcore punk, thrash, and Maiden-like melodicness that would be realized two years later with Among the Living. That eing said, it's still a damn fine album. The finest songs on Spreading the Disease are "Lone Justice", "Gung-Ho", and "Aftershock". "Lone Justice" is probably the best performance of the album for bassist Frank Bello. "Gung-Ho" is a straight-forward thrash song about war, propelled by Benante's extremely fast double-bass work. Seriously, this dude is probably one of the most underrated drummers in metal. What makes "Aftershock" good is that Belladonna blends his melodic singing with the thrashier music extremely well. A good album from a great band. At least that's what I think. // 9

More Anthrax reviews rating latest review
+ Anthems [EP] 7.1 03/25/2013