For Blood And Empire Review

anti-flag: For Blood And Empire
Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
Label: RCA
Genres: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
After being together for over ten years and boasting almost as many releases, For Blood And Empire marks Anti-Flag's entry into the big leagues.
 9.2
 9.2
 9.1
For Blood And Empire Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 30, 2006

Sound: The latest Anti-Flag album is different to any other previously released. In some ways its like The Terror State, at least in recording quality its as good or better. The drumming is maybe a bit slower than on other albums, and Anti-Flag seem to have re-shuffled the volume of the instruments, bass and guitar turned down, and drums and vocals cranked up. Its less blatantly punk as albums like Their System Doesn't Work For You, with some slower riffs like on 'Emigre'. But the political side to the album is stronger than previous albums, the last song being purely about Depleated uranium and its horrific effects. Lead guitar repeatedly throws out some of the best high pitched riffs I've heard, from the first to the last song, Justin sane appears not to drop below his 12th frets, which works really well with the usual amazingly skilful basslines and powerful singing. // 10

Lyrics: Like the other albums, this album is highly politically orientated, with many songs like 'The WTO Kills Farmers' purely about political issues. The whole band takes a more active role in the vocals, many chorus' featuring the whole band, apart from maybe pat thetic. The lyrics are more in time with the music than the earlier albums, which gives the songs a better sense of timing and beat. Like 'Mind The GATT' on The Terror State, 'Depleted Uranium Is A War Crime' has some spoken word on it, which gives a lot of information yet somehow fits in with the background beat. The lyrics are still pretty indecipherable though, with only a few songs actually having discernible verses, so not the albums strongest feature. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is brilliant, the best I've bought this year and the best I'm likely to buy for a long time. But I still prefer The Terror State. This album contains a couple of songs with slower drum beats and less all-out punk riffs, and the whole album seams to show off the bass a little less than other albums, which is what got me into Anti-FLag to begin with. Still, its well worth the money and if I lost it id definitely but it again. Diverse sounds and new lyrical focus' make this album among my top 10 at the moment, and possibly top 5. The best songs in my opinion, are 'I'd Tell You But', 'Hymn For The Dead' and 'The Press Corpse' which are all pretty amazing. // 9

For Blood And Empire Reviewed by: shugo449, on january 17, 2007

Sound: On For Blood and Empire, the ranting political Anti-Flag score another hit with their simple punk rock. Instead playing so fast that they bleed, they keep simple, catchy riffs going, some o which are actually hard to master. This, in my opinion, is their best CD. It features the to mainstream hits "This Is The End (For You My Friend)" and "Press Corpse". Those songs are good. But the really good ones are hidden in their. Besides those, my favorites are "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man", "Project For a New Amaerican Century", "One Trillion Dollars", and "Cities Burn". The later features a really cool drum intro. All their playing on this disk is real tight, and it all works together. // 9

Lyrics: If you have ever heard of Anti-Flag before this review(or even heard their name), you can geuss it's gonna be prettuy much political stuff. Well, it's all political. Anti-Flag is a political band. All the songs rant on about the, you geussed it, the government. Some are highly profain, too ("One Trillion Dollars", "Confessions Of An Economic Hit Man"). Unless your a radicalist too, the words get a little boring an tiresome after a while. // 8

Overall Impression: For Blood And Empire is a great disc. Awesome punky guitars with lots of attitude and really catchy songs. But, the lyrics get old and repetitive around track eight, and some songs are far more profain then they need to be. Overall, it's a pretty good CD. If I lost it, I'd buy it again. Maybe I would get something else instead, because for me, the lyrics are a little to out there and political for me. I prefer a band that doesn't care, that just wants to have fun. I recomend this CD for any true punk fan. // 9

For Blood And Empire Reviewed by: imapunkforlife, on march 31, 2006

Sound: This had the newer Anti-Flag sound, a lot like The Terror State. Each song has great political meanings and they all even have little essays under the lyrics in the cd booklet. Well on the top of this it said the band was over 10 years old and as that is true theyre technicaly 20 years old. They started in 1986, took a 3 year break and have been really working at it since 1989. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics go GREAT with the music. Their albums just keep getting better and better. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier this is one of their best albums to date, which is saying a lot because all of the albums are great, personaly I have 8 of there CDs and a live DVD, this tops it all. It some one even tried to touch this CD I'd kill them this is perhaps my all time favorite CD. // 10

For Blood And Empire Reviewed by: lespaul_rentals, on june 09, 2006

Sound: Anti-Flag's newest album, "For Blood And Empire," has its ups and downs, but when the CD is done spinning, you'll have enjoyed yourself. The album kicks off with the energetic "I'd Tell You But". A catchy, high-string, guitar riff comes through the speakers as an addictive powerchord rytym plays. Anti-Flag is known for their skill at creating a great riff while keeping things simple, and they once again deliver. Musically, "For Blood And Empire" is great. The guitar work is simple but, as stated earlier, catchy. Most of the songs on this album display a maturing Anti-Flag. Justin Sane's guitar work just keeps going uphill. The same with Chris Head. As for #2, his bass work is something I look up to. His style adds complexity to some of these songs. Pat Thetic is a great drummer, and he does well here. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on "For Blood And Empire" take a stand against the Bush Regime's (excuse me, I meant "Administration's") war in Iraq. "Confessions Of An Economic Hitman" deals with exactly what the title says (in fact, the name of the album was taken from a line in this song). Probably the most powerful song on this album is "Depleted Uranium Is A War Crime". Here, Justin Sane directly addresses the issue of using depleted uranium in ammo rounds. Nowhere on "For Blood And Empire" does it appear that Anti-Flag are going to back down in the fight against tyranny. // 9

Overall Impression: However, some of the songs on this album are just mediocre. "War Sucks, Let's Party" lacks the attraction that many of the other tracks have. I can honestly say that this song bores me. Overall, the album can't be labeled a masterpiece, but rather a large collection of great singles, and a couple of filler tracks. Anti-Flag, after "The Terror State", has been labeled "sellouts" by some hardcore, punk fans. "For Blood and Empire", it should be noted, is quite polished. Justin Sane's vocals are a bit less rash than in previous albums. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Anti-Flag has sold out, but I will admit that the new production quality and sound is much different than their older albums, such as "Die for Your Government" and "A New Kind Of Army". I rather enjoyed the change. Overall, a good album. If you are a new Anti-Flag fan looking for a starting place, get the CD. If you're a spike-haired punk who has his or her head buried in The Sex Pistols, Operation Ivy, The Dead Kennedys, and only likes pre-"Underground Network" Anti-Flag CDs, this is not going to be your favorite. // 7

For Blood And Empire Reviewed by: Tster, on december 13, 2007

Sound: Man, this CD is totally rockin'! You know when a CD is great when every track is awesome, and in this album every track is awesome. Every song has a political meaning and even if your not one to be into music that has a political theme you still gotta check these guys out. They're so good. The riffs and sound they throw out your speakers are wickid! Some are high-speed and above the 12th fret, some have a great rythem and others combine both but matter what it is, it all rocks. The tone of their voices goes with the music so well, it's truely a music experience. If you like rock or punk you gotta get in on this. // 10

Lyrics: Firstly Justins vocal skills, they're wickid!! His voice is so good and fits the music really well. The timing, tone and everything is amazing. The backup vocals are also really good aswell which also have great tone and timing. The lyrics are all political, the the booklet you recieve with the CD you get like a essay which helps back up the song. All the songs are about the goverment and some lines can really get you thinking like "be the voice of a generation." Every line is thought-out but sometimes they just end up repeating themselves from other songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is so out there and beats so many other artists out there today. All the songs are real catchy, 'rock-able' and awesome to rock with your guitar too. it's really an awesome CD and you'll probably like it. There are some real quick songs and then songs like 'One Trillion Dollars' which are slower but still such an awesome track. Honestly, I like every track. It's an awesome CD. If it got lost/stolen I wouldn't just be pissed but I'd buy it again! // 9

For Blood And Empire Reviewed by: alexander_MCR, on april 25, 2011

Sound: Pittsburgh punk veterans Anti-Flag, in 2006 put out their most accomplished, and defining album of their careers: "For Blood And Empire". Now as its Anti-Flag, fans will love it, if you're a newcomer then this as good an album to get into them. Every song has a meaning behind it, and those meanings/inspirations vary from: corporate arms trading ("1 Trillion Dollar$"). Illegal war crimes ("Depleted Uranium Is A War Crime"). The beauty/cosmetic industry ("This Is The End"). 9/11 ("Hymn For The Dead") Anti-war ("War Sucks, Lets Party!") Economical subversion ("Confessions Of An Economic Hitman") Capitalism/corporations abusing control ("The W.T.O Kills Farmers") That last song, in particular is a tribute to a Korean farmer named Kyung Hae Lee, who in 2001, at the protest against the W.T.O (World Trade Organization) in Cancun, Mexico. He climbed the security fence with a sign which read "The W.T.O Kills Farmers". He then stabbed himself the heart, his sad and unnecessary death attracted far more media and international concern and/or interest, which wouldn't have been possible without him. So yes every song has its own perspective and meaning, and to no one's surprise as Anti-Flag have always had a left wing attitude to their music. // 10

Lyrics: "Seems every station on the TV is selling something no one can be. If every page was torn from the magazine, would cash still drive the media machine." These are lyrics from one of the best songs on the album; "This Is The End (For You My Friend)". Like I mentioned before heir songs and lyrics take a very left wing attitude and a little anarchism thrown in for good measure. Bassist and co-vocalist, Chris Baker sounds incredibly good, his rough, loud punk-rock-born voice is deviously good and rhythm guitarist and other co-vocalist Justin Sane also offers some vocals but his range feels somewhat limited but you won't really notice that (well you might now that it's been stated...) and lead guitarist Chris Head offers some extravagant riffing on the opening track "I'd Tell You But". Drummer Pat Thetic is still a grand sticks man, I sometimes wonder wether or not he was born just for playing punk rock! // 10

Overall Impression: With their sixth record Anti-Flag have established themselves as one of this decade's best punk rock bands, and with every record after this will continue to gain ground and speed! NOFX, Rise Against, Against Me!, watch out 'cause Anti-Flag are raising their flag high (Pun intended). In short this is one the best punk rock albums I've ever heard (only 2nd to Refused's "The Shape Of Punk To Come"). 10 out of 10! // 10

More Anti-flag reviews rating latest review
+ The General Strike 7.1 03/22/2012