Resonance Review

Antigama: Resonance
Release Date: May 15, 2007
Label: Relapse
Genres: Grindcore, Experimental Metal
Resonance is the sound of four pissed-off lads bashing and screaming away almost exclusively from beginning to end.
 6.8
 5.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Resonance Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2007

Sound: What these polish grinders offer to the ear, is something I find hard to explain to people when they are hearing it. Antigama (almost sounds like an electronic toy), produce such a different course on the grindcore plate. It's almost like a space journey, with many asteroids along the way, viciously breaking into your sound system. In "Resonance", it seems to be a different story of grind. An almost electronic sound of random bleeps, drum splashes, vocal effects, and guitar work is splattered all over this album. For example, tracks such as "Barbapapex" and "Shymrok", creating a bizarre mood of drowned sounds, warping glitches, and exotic guitar work. In the sound department, this album is well produced and has a very crisp noise to it. The drums time signatures are completely random in most of the scattered tracks (ending of "Stars".. had no clue what the hell was going on), usually not focusing on a certain beat, but just flying all over the toms and the many different symbol sounds, which almost make the song sometimes un-enjoyable, but it usually catches back into a more easy listening track. In the guitar cabinet, I didn't feel much is happening, I couldn't find any catchy riffs, as most of the fret work is suffocated by the drum annihilation and vocal fury. // 9

Lyrics: Speaking of vocals, I think they shine/destroy everything in their path. The yelling ukasz Myszkowski unleashes upon the microphone, is perfected with angered screams, alongside life struggling, psychologically challenged lyrics. There is strong emotional problem I believe behind the pen of Lukasz, it creates amazing imagery when reading though. // 8

Overall Impression: The thing that gets me about this album, is the diversity and different pace/take on the genre that is "grindcore". Blast-beats are offered every now and then at a blistering fast rate, as well as psychotic mashing of the guitar chords, with catchy rhythms (eg. After, and Pyschonaut), but that is usually what grindcore is all about. Antigama experiment with many recipes that aren't in the grindcore cook book, which obviously means a lot, as they have created their own style of electronic, ballistic-core music. Tracks I recommend: Persuit, Seismic Report, Order, Barbapex, Pyschonaut, No, After, and Types Of Waste. // 7

Comments