I Am A Bird Now Review

antony and the johnsons: I Am A Bird Now
Released: Feb 1, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Pop, Chamber Pop
It's a far more intimate affair than their debut. It's a testament to Antony's skill as a writer and arranger that these guest appearances are completely devoid of pretense.
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
I Am A Bird Now Reviewed by: drlazmeister, on march 24, 2005

Sound: I was hesitant about buying this album. I'd heard countless reviews that had compared Antony to the likes of Nina Simone and Jeff Buckley, and was unsure whether the CD would match up to these comparisons. I was in no way disappointed. When I first heard Antony's voice, I was again unsure, this time as to whether it was like the reviews had suggested, but listening further, his voice has a haunting beauty that really pulls you into the music and the meaning of the song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album also cover haunting topics, such as gender issues, in 'For Today I Am A Boy' for instance, "One day I'll grow up, I'll be a beautiful woman. For today I am a boy." This song in particular is extremely moving, it just captures all of his emotions, and you can just feel his pain. His music is in a league of it's own, lyrics included. The simplicity of the meaning of this song is amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was a big surprise to me. I listened to the whole thing without having heard any of his work, and I think this was the best way to do it. It was such a huge shock to hear such beautiful music, with memorable melodies and hauntingly beautiful vocals. Antony combines his talents with the likes of Rufus Wainwright, Boy George and Lou Reed on guitar, but his impression on this album is overwhelming. If you want to listen to 10 beautiful tracks and broaden your musical taste, this album is for you. What have you got to lose? // 10

Comments