Topsy Turvy Review

artist: apex theory date: 04/09/2004 category: compact discs
apex theory: Topsy Turvy
Released: Apr 2, 2002
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Angry, Visceral, Aggressive, Provocative, Brash, Fiery, Confrontational
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge, Emo
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Topsy Turvy Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2004

Sound: Simplicity is bliss. The guitar's dont need to be smashing power riffs to have the effect that they do on this album. The drums follow in form, as does the bass. One of my favorite aspects of the band tho are the vocals, he's got a real good voice. It's a real progressive sound, so if you're a fan of Tool or more so A Perfect Circle this is right up your alley. They also use keyboard effects in several places. In most it's ok, but one of the larger flaws of this CD are the keyboard "solos" that seem kind of stuck into the songs out of place, but they're not a big deal. // 8

Lyrics: This is the reason why I really like Apex Theory. They write great lyrics. Lots of metaphors and other tricks. Again, I'd most relate the word choice and lyrics to that of Tool, APC, System of a Down, and other bands that are pushing a "message." For example, the song Bullshed is my favorite song speaking out against conformisim. Great lyrics, and something for everyone. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this Topsy Turvey after seeing Apex Theory at Ozzfest and deciding it was one of the few bands on 2nd Stage that I really liked. This album was definitely worth my purchasing. I don't think this band ever got the attention they deserved and I usually hear this album being ranted against. For example a flaw that I DO agree with is that only, say, 75% of the tracks are good...BUT the ones that ARE good are REAL good (for me making it worth while). Apposibly is one of my alltime favorite songs. If you're into progressive music like some of the bands I mentioned earlier, or just want a change from the every day bang bang kill kill band Apex theory is definitely worth a buy. // 10

Comments