Funeral Review

arcade fire: Funeral
Released: Sep 14, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Post-Rock/Experimental
Montreal's Arcade Fire brings a theatricality, an intensity, an insanity, and a penchant for amazing hooks to their debut full-length.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.8
 9.1
 8.4
Funeral Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2005

Sound: Arcade Fire has a unique way of finding the instrument that would best fit the song. The song Laika, is completely mesmerizing with the accordion. And the song In the Backseat is amazing, when the guitar comes in and starts thrashing for a few seconds it creates a song that is both heavy and light rock. Appropriate, for it being a song about a dead person (Alice died, in the night). Rebellion (Lies) is absolutely amazing, only Arcade Fire could make one note on a keyboard a solid bassline. The sound is absolutely mesmerizing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics would be a poem without the music. They seem ridiculous at first but they hit something inside you, that makes you think that this isn't that bad. The lyrics fit so well with the music, in In The Backseat, when Regine starts singing: Alice died. The guitar coming in right then is amazing. Simple yet it fit the lyrics perfectly. The downside, Win Butler has an annoying and whiny voice, but compared to the lyrics that he's singing, it's nothing. // 8

Overall Impression: Funeral, really cannot compare to anything, some songs like Power Out, is a indefinate rock song. Whereas songs such as In The Backseat really cannot be called a rock song at all whatsoever. What are the most impressive songs on the album? They are all, I'm not kidding every song on there 1-10 is absolutely incredible. I love how the lyrics and music fit together seamlessly, how nothing seems overemotional. I think I'd die if it was stolen, but when my grief subsided, I would definately buy another, maybe two. It is absolutely amazing how Arcade Fire suffered so much grief and agony from so many deaths in the family, that they could turn it into such an amazing album. // 10

Funeral Reviewed by: xZEROx, on april 18, 2006

Sound: Guitar, Piano, Accordion, xylophone, recorder, synth, organ, and of course drums. Just from the list of instraments you can tell that there is a difference that seperates this band from the mainstream of todays "ideal band." The new sound that the Arcade Fire brings to todays music is the best thing that has happend this year by far. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are smart and well thought out, you can tell they have put a lot of effort into the composition. The singers in the group (Win Butler and Regine Chassagne) are not the best the world has seen (infact if you think you cant sing listen to these guys) but, in the end the music and the message of the lyrics over power and make the music still just as enjoyable (besides when a band hire's a singer, the singer always ends up defining the band and trying to change it, in other words why change what's working for you). // 8

Overall Impression: This band has some real creative potential. I suggest listening to "Rebellion (Lies)" and "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" to get the best of what the band has to offer. There is no way I would ever not have a copy of this CD, 3 miniuts after it goes missing I'll be at the CD store. // 8

Funeral Reviewed by: emidog, on april 01, 2010

Sound: The sound of this album is really unlike anything I've ever heard. The album has a sound that always brings a smile to my face. The tone ranges from being very folky to being ominous and having furious burst in it. I've also never heard these instruments flowing together and this well orchestrated since Pet Sounds. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are very solid. I got this strange vibe that Win Butler was switching from an almost child like lyrics to a grandfather like perspective sometimes. I really like the lyrics. The lyrics tell great stories like a good song should do. My favorite songs on this album would probably be Neighborhood #1, #2, #3, Wake Up, and Rebellion Lies. Win does an amazing job as does Regina. Both do their role very well. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that it is definitely an album for the ages. I personally like this album much more than Neon Bible. Because of this album I've moved Arcade Fire to number three on my favorite contemporary bands. Every track is very good and once you start with Neighborhood #1, you won't want to stop til the very end. If I lost this album I would probably either cease to exist or I would just have to go buy another. Either way it would suck to lose this album since I listen to it a lot. Check this one out for sure. // 10

More Arcade Fire reviews rating latest review