Anthems Of Rebellion Review

Released: Aug 26, 2003
Label: Century Media
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Power Metal
Still, this is a reasonably solid album that should appeal to the band's fans.
Anthems Of Rebellion Reviewed by: Metal_link111, on july 26, 2005

Sound: This is the first album I heard of Arch Enemy, then I heard Wages Of Sin straight after. The sound is not uniquely different to that of Wages Of Sin, A lot of it is fast and heavy guitar riffs, plenty of double bass and brilliant vocals just like any AE albums. The best thing about this album is the guitars, Mike Amott never ceases to impress me, he is certainly one of my favourite guitarists and the reason I instantly loved Arch Enemy was because of the melodic driven sound, but the outstanding result. What the album lacks in lyrics it gains in sound. // 10

Lyrics: Angela isn't totally lyrically creative on this album, however, her voice certainly makes up for that. The most commonly featured song on this album was "We Will Rise," and it was the first song I heard. Although there is some debate of the quality of this album on Angela's part, I can disagree with the negative comments, Angela did impress me and so did the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: The band includes Mike Amott (lead guitar), Daniel Erlandsson (drums), Christopher Amott (rhythm guitar), Sharlee D'Angelo (bass guitar), and Angela Gossow (lead vocals). For anyone who is interested in Swedish death metal/black metal, this is certainly an album to listen to. If anything can captivate you on this album, it would have to be the brilliantly driven sound of the Amott's guitars and the vocals. It takes guts to replace a male vocalist with a female and expect her to be better, but this is one fairytale turned reality. Although there exists plenty of debate about this album, lots of mixed reviews, some saying, hated it, loved it, and even though I would much prefer an album like Wages Of Sin, I cannot deny that this album was the main reason for my interest in Arch Enemy and they deserve as much credit as they can get. In the end it's all based on opinion, so really the decision is up to you, all I can give is recommendation to listen to Athems Of Rebellion. // 8

Anthems Of Rebellion Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2006

Sound: I'm blown away, the Amott's got so incredible sound togather and there double guitar sound specially on end of the line, after hearing a song with them for the first time Mr M. Amott was my favourite I love all of his work from carnage to arch enemy (haven't heard much of carnage, and haven't got in touch with an album of spirtual beggers) the sound overall is kinda a mixture of Iron Maiden and Metallica and you can hear kinda like there is some old chinease melody going on there I swear and its really well done and Gossows vocals I expected some big wrestler and there was a beutiful woman singing and she is better than most man. // 10

Lyrics: Don't think the lyrics are very good after angela started writing them but they are good I think when Michael was the songwriter while John Livii was singing then they were amazing like on Let the killing begin "Sacrifice to the elders of justice" and "Feel the tourment within let the beuty of death sets in" and it all fits with the melody so well (maybe John Livii wrote that dno) but Angelas vocals make up for it and her lyrics fit with the melody and have a message that people get right away. // 9

Overall Impression: This album can not be compared to anything its incrediblly unique. End of the line, We will rise and marching on a dead end road the song are very good the message in the lyrics (except for marching instrumental) are good and well wrote. The back voice is good on end of the line and Dehumanization love the effect on that one. What I don't like much is the lyric style on wages of sin and the ones with Angela isn't really good cause it was amazing when Michael wrote most of them they were so complex and deep so the feeling with it was amazing. If I'd lose my Anthems Of Rebellion I would buy it back cause this album is worth buying 10 times. // 9

Anthems Of Rebellion Reviewed by: FacEraser117, on march 27, 2006

Sound: This is a great metal album. The guitar riffs are just brutal! The solo's are also great. Their song writting skills are very very good. It sounds like they are either playing 7 string guitars or are very low tuned. // 10

Lyrics: The singer Angela Gossow has a pretty good scream. It goes great with the music, but is not my favorite. I am not really into the whole screaming thing but, the music is awsome. Also the lyrics go great with the music. They are very weird and out there. Overall the lyrics are decent, but I wouldn't suggest this to people who can't take the whole constant screaming thing. // 7

Overall Impression: All in all, this is a very good album. I just picked it up a few days ago and am all ready very into it. There aren't that many guitar players these days that can do what Chris and Michael Amott can do. My favorite songs so far are Silent Wars, We Will Rise, and Dead Eyes See No Future. I would highly reccomend thid album to any fan of heavy music, or great guitar playing. The Cd also includes a bouns dvd which is also very good. So what are you waiting for, go pcik this CD up! // 9

More Arch Enemy reviews rating latest review