Doomsday Machine Review

Released: Jul 26, 2005
Label: Century Media
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash
Sixth full length from Sweden's Arch Enemy. Their superior blend of brutality and melody accounts for an ever-growing fanbase.
 Lyrics: 8.1
 8.9
 8.6
 9.2
Doomsday Machine Reviewed by: JVDumarC, on december 06, 2005

Sound: Man this album is awesome, Arch Enemy's guitarists got so much skill and melody, and I can't leave behind the super hot sexy vocalist that has and amazing voice, I still can't understand how she can sing this way. Just their first single it's amazing Nemesis the guitar its really great it got great melody, this song its not the only one, almost the whole album has great riffs and solos. // 10

Lyrics: Well on the lyrics some of the songs give good messages but overall it's not that complex they are just lyrics, but on other hand most of them fit well to the music so they arent that bad, but they are still good. // 8

Overall Impression: Well when I first hear it I tought immediately about Cradle Of Filth I don't know the style it's kinda the same, guitar tech, the voice and some other factors. The most impressive song for this album for me its NEMESIS its really awesome, other songs I really like are Skeleton Dance, Carry The Cross and like 4 more songs but I don't remember their name. Well I really don't hate anything about this album I really love it and enjoy listening to it, I strongly recommend it if you like Cradle Of Filth or really good bands, this is the first Arch Enemy's album I've heard and I really like it my first impression was totally positive. If this album gets stolen ill kick the ass of the person who took it and if it get lost I'll stole one from someone or buy it again. // 9

Doomsday Machine Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2005

Sound: Led by brothers Amott (Michael and Christopher), Arch Enemy seems to be on a rise to the top. "Doomsday Machine" marks the sixth release by the band, and the third with singer Angela Gossow. This album is probably the best sounding one I've heard, mixed once again by the great Andy Sneap. The title track, "Nemesis," delivers some very heavy riffs and leads that blend right into them. I would have to say favorite song of the album is "Skeleton Dance." But, I am forgetting some of the more important aspects of the albume. There is a guest lead on the first track, "Taking Back My Soul," which is performed by Gus G, the man that will be filling Christopher Amott's place during the Ozzfest tour. // 10

Lyrics: Angela delivers on this album, growling and screaming her way into your soul. She wrote most of the songs of "Doomsday Machine," and this shows that she is becoming more apart of the band, something that I like. The best lyrical song although, is written by both Angela and Michael, and is intitled, "Mechanic God Creation." Great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think this album compares to "Wages Of Sin," but it's a step up from "Anthems Of Rebellion." As I've stated above, this album has some great songs, and the instrumental, "Hybrids Of Stell," shows the brothers Amott's creativity musically. The only thing I didn't like about it was that some of Christopher Amott's solos were a little repetitive. Buy this album, and then write your own review because I'm sure mine sucks. // 10

Doomsday Machine Reviewed by: atkm2891, on december 15, 2005

Sound: This is a good album for people who thought Arch Enemy's recent albums were too heavy. The singing (yelling) is different and is more distorted than it was in Anthems Of Rebellion and Wages Of The Sin. I think Michael Amott shows his talent much more in this disc and the new guitarist Daniel Svenderrson is pretty good. They also use special sound effects in this disc. Like in the song My Apocalypse, you can hear a submarine sound in the intro. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are darker and symbolic. They talk about blood and killing a lot in the lyrics. Angela's voice is lower and distorted in this album, which I think is better than the high screechy voice in their recent albums. I really like the "One for All, All For One" in Nemesis, because it is very rebellious. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is nothing like the first albums: Black Earth, Stigmata Or Burning Bridges, nor their more recent albums: Wages Of Sin and Anthems Of Rebellion. It is slower and more instrumental. I like all the songs in this disc alot but my favorites are: Carry The Cross, My Apocalypse, Nemesis, I Am A Legeng/Out For Blood. // 10

Doomsday Machine Reviewed by: nothingface187, on november 10, 2005

Sound: The sound on this is the metal. Several power chords, at some points they have some cool solos. I was going to buy this record, but instead buying God Forbid's IV: Constitution Of Treason, which I might add is a hell of a lot better than this piece of crap. But my little brother bought it instead. so I gave it a listen, I must say I was very disappointed by what I heard. Really no innovation or anything different compared to God Forbid. It is really monotoneus after the single they realeased, basically sounds the same and is boring. // 5

Lyrics: I didn't read the lyrics, I didn't want to because, from what I could make from the music. Why would I want to read the lyrics. By the Way the vocalists whats' her name, isn't at all a good vocalist, except sounding the same through out the whole record. Just the same roars and screams, unlike Otep, who is dynamic in her screaming and roaring. Overall I give this 3 out 10. // 3

Overall Impression: What is there to be said, go out and buy God Forbid's IV: Consitution Of treason, you will enjoy that better than this cd. Also God Forbid tells a story in there lyrics which Arch Enemy does not. Overall if I had bought that CD, I probably would try to enjoy it as much as possible, and if I did lose it, I wouldn't buy another. // 3

Doomsday Machine Reviewed by: rg_metal, on january 17, 2006

Sound: I would describe the sound in doomsday machine as being breath of fresh air. The ammot brothers were flawless in their execution of the many insanely technical guitar riffs and solos. One of the highlights of the album for me was towards the middle of "My Apocalypse" when the music almost stops completely and then this riff comes out of nowhere and begins a very Beautiful arrangement of notes. Although some of the songs on the album sound similar to earlier albums it still signals that the band still has alot to offer in terms of guitar innovation. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very descriptive towards the overall attitude of the album. Angela's voice is explosive and menacing sounding like a demoness "Out For Blood." Every Song has integrity and gives strong meaning to what Arch Enemy is as a whole. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think that this album is A smooth transition from Anthems and they have changed a bit from Wages. This album is ambitious with the new attitude and guitar tech. // 9

Doomsday Machine Reviewed by: Romeo Amott, on march 31, 2006

Sound: The only death metal I mostly listion to is 'melodic' death metal, like Heartwork (1993) a true classic by Carcass, and any Arch Enemy record ever made. It just happens that Micheal Amott went to form Arch Enemy with his brother Christopher Amott, so you might find simularities in playing styles between Heartwork and any Arch Enemy record. Guest musicians included Gus G. on guest lead guitar on "Taking Back My Soul," Ola Stromberg on keyboards, and Apollo Papathanasio on additional backing vocals. Chris Amott left after recording of Doomsday Machine On Good Terms to attend college and was replaced by Gus G. for Ozzfest, whereafter Fredrik Akesson took on full time duties. Doomseday Machine was my first full Arch Enemy record I ever listiond to. It gave me goosebumps. It was very heavy, but not like most death metal albums who drown out everything with beserk sloppy fast for spite drum beats that sound about the same every song. The drum beats on Doomsday allowed the guitars to be heard clearer while making the songs a lot more catchy. But what I liked the most was the virtuism of the lead guitar solo's. They where not the typical death soloing. They still included screaming tremelo bars, fast picking and pinch harmonics, but they where planed out masterfully, sometimes very articulate, and even more than once VERY heart felt to my great surprise. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics where mostly written by Angela Gossow, and where mainely about the usual Arche Enemy topics of anit-society, death, and end of the world type stuff. They where short, but well crafted, so that there was plenty of time for the instruments to do thier thing while keeping most songs around 5 minutes. Angela Gossow is prehapes the best death metal vocalyst in history. Her voice is evenly distorted and not the usual like Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel. You can mostly tell what the vocals are when she sings them. And she's a woman too, which is pretty cool for someone who sings her style of music. My only problem with her is that an interview was once published where she said something along the lines of about how fans dont matter and they just get in the way. I don't remember the exact words, or can find the article but I remember that is her view. // 8

Overall Impression: As you can tell I mostly relate this album to Heartwork. The most impresive songs in my opinion are Nemesis which is very heartfelt and heavy at the same time, My Apocalypse which is catchy, I am Legend/Out For Blood 'cause the rythem is realy good, Hybreds Of Steel which is an instrumental that sounds a lot like Satch and is a masterpiece. My bigest problem is that the bass is not heard well unless the guitars are on clear tone, or in the instrumental. I will take this CD to my grave. // 10

Doomsday Machine Reviewed by: AngryGuitarist, on july 15, 2006

Sound: The sound to this is really heavy, the driving drum beats are crazy. The double bass explosions add to the crazyness, Michael Ammot and chris ammot are both great Guitarists. This band is unique becuase the lead singer is a lady, and all she does throughout the whole CD is growl, which I think she could try some melody, but no, apparently screaming is the thing for her, but the guitars make up for the melody. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics seem more Rebellious then most other metal bands at this time. Angelina gossow has a great voice for metal, but it does get kind of tireing after a while, pretty much preddictable. This CD would be the best if she actually sang, oh, and by the way, I've heard rumors that Angelina gossow uses technology to "distort" her voice even more. Which I think is a depressing thought, but then again I'm not sure if she is or not. Her vocalist skill gets an 8, if she sang though and not screamed all the time it would probably be a 10. // 8

Overall Impression: It doesn't really compare to any other albums, I do agree with somebody that said this that the guitar work is similiar to God forbid. The vocals in my opinnion could be way so much better if she actually sang. My favorite song would probably be Nemesis, love the intro. If I lost it, I would probably not even buy it again, I would rather get an all american head charge or a spineshank CD instead. // 7

Doomsday Machine Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is just like the rest of Arch Enemy's work with vocalist Angela Gossow - more pulled together and slick than any albums with their previous vocalist. But who cares about the sound quality? Look at Venom. What matters is that every single member of Arch Enemy is a monster at what they do. The brothers Amott are amazing as always, and have a way with being aggressive and beautiful at the same time. Some complain about Angela's vocals being too repetitive or "samey", but she IS a death metal vocalist, and anyone with enough balls to scream for an extreme metal band clearly doesnt't care if they win any awards for vocal deliveries. That said, she does exactly what screaming was meant for, aggression and heaviness. So if you don't like her voice, listen to Stevie Nicks. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are metal lyrics. That's all. They aren't horrible and they aren't good (although they can be cheesy at times) but I wont let run of the mill metal lyrics make this albums rating go down. They're easy to scream along to and fit the songs, so whatever. // 10

Overall Impression: This album (and this band, for that matter) is one of the heaviest out there right now. This is my favorite Arch Enemy CD so far, although Anthems of Rebellion takes a close second. If you are a fan of the Burning Bridges-era Enemy, then listen to this album with an open mind, as the songs on Doomsday Machine are slicker and catchier, although a little bit less raw. Overall this CD is worth however much it costs, and if someone stole it, I would probably just stare at pictures of Angela Gossow anyway. // 10

More Arch Enemy reviews rating latest review