Khaos Legions Review

arch enemy: Khaos Legions
Released: Jun 7, 2011
Genre: Melodic Deth Metal
Label: Century Media
It is pity that Arch Enemy's music will never reach the masses, because this is a musically triumphant force to be reckoned with.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.1
 7.9
 8.2
Khaos Legions Featured review by: UG Team, on june 08, 2011

Sound: Archy Enemy has often been likened to an acquired taste. The band's strictly non-commercial musical approach, although arguably supplanted by Angela Gossow's appeal, is quite admirable in the knowledge that there is so much untapped marketing potential to the band. Khaos Legions sticks to Arch Enemy's ethos, while the band's thrash metal influences come to the fore. New material has been a long time coming, but Arch Enemy fans won't be disappointing with what is another mark of Arch Enemy's consistency; the band's real strength is the drama to the song writing. "Khaos Overture" - the introductory track - is a dramatic minute and a half including tasteful guitars, well-worked drumming, and the best use of sirens in a song for a long while. The next song - "Yesterday Is Dead And Gone" - has an introduction similar to that of "Beast And The Harlot" (Avenged Sevenfold), while the next couple of tracks maybe lose a bit of drive "Under Black Flags We March" being a low point of the album. The middle of the album doesn't seem to have the ferocity associated with Arch Enemy, but that is redeemed by songs like "Through The Eyes Of A Raven" and "Cruelty Without Beauty" the latter of which is a highlight of the album for its well worked intro and dramatic overtones. The guitar riffs are terrific, and Gossow's vocals enter the fray at just the right time, before the song reaches its artistic high point in terms of instrumentation. Let's just say the song doesn't fizzle out. "Cult Of Chaos" produces the next highlight of the album by proving Arch Enemy's versatility. The band sometimes seems to lack focus when playing more melodically, but this track's combination of monstrous death metal with gripping melodies is a triumph. Meanwhile the Amott brothers' guitar tones are to die for. Songs as diverse and magnificently structured as "Thorns In My Flesh" and "Secrets" deserve plaudits from critics and fans of the band alike. This album's awesome sound and tasteful (reducing the volume in favour of character) production values are there for all to witness. // 8

Lyrics: The main criticism of Arch Enemy is often the band's reliance on Gossow to attract listeners, but at the same time, Gossow's vocals can be heard to be somewhat one-dimensional. She doesn't have the variety to her screams that others in the death metal genre boast. Indeed, the placement of the instrumental track - "We Are A Godless Entity" - serves as a welcome break at the right time. That's not to detract from Gossow's overall performance. Arch Enemy's classification as Melodic Death Metal is, unlike some other notable claims to the "melodic" tag, well-deserved. If Gossow were to seriously alter her vocal arsenal the band's dignity may never be recovered. // 7

Overall Impression: Archy Enemy's insistence on slowing things down makes "Khaos Legions" a memorable album, and much of that is due to rhyme to the Amott brothers' madness. There is a creative element to Arch Enemy that renders the band both success and failure. It is pity that this type of music will never reach the masses, because Arch Enemy is a musical force to be reckoned with. This is an album for fans of music, and if Gossow's vocals aren't for you, at least (legally) download the instrumentals. // 8

- Sam Agini (c) 2011

Khaos Legions Reviewed by: d3cr3p1tb1rth, on december 06, 2011

Sound: The album "Khaos Legions". Lets just start off with the first track is an instrumental, the guitar sounds fantastic, believe me I enjoy it. Later on in the song it has a nice sounding drum roll which goes perfect with the rest of the song. I would like to give props to another song titled "The Zoo", great song originally made and recorded by The Scorpions. When I first saw the track listing and I saw "The Zoo" I thought to myself, is it a cover or is it another song and it is just titled that. I listened to that song, it went over very well I was impressed, yes, they had some changes to the song but I simply love it, I actually love how they changed it, I find both simply fantastic. "Khaos Legions" is full of addictive melodic riffs, heart-stopping arrangements, and technical proficiency only produced by virtuoso musicians. "No Gods, No Masters" has some spiritual Beggars in it, and hearkens back to thrash metal in the 80's. I like the drumming in the song "Bloodstained Cross" that caught my attention the song. That is probably one of my favorites from this album. I also like "No Gods, No Masters" great quality in all instruments, props to Angela for the death growls I love it! // 9

Lyrics: Angela has some great singing skills, I like the death growls in the song "No Gods, No Masters". The Intro song "Khaos Overture". The voice over the intro spoke to me, it felt good. // 8

Overall Impression: "Khaos Legions" for some reason reminds me so much of the album "Doomsday Machine". That is my favorite album by Arch Enemy, and I personally loved "Khaos Legions". I love this album because I like the heaviness of the songs and how low they tuned their guitars, Angela's Death Growls. The Fact that this album reminds me of "Doomsday Machine" that means I will love "Khaos Legions" and I do love this album allot. // 7

More Arch Enemy reviews rating latest review