Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Review

arctic monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Release Date: Jan 23, 2006
Genres: Indie Rock
Label: Domino
This album is simply magnificent. The band's sound covers all aspects of British rock worth covering, from punk, ska, pop, rock 'n' roll, and funk.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.9
 9.2
 8.5
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: top_hat_rocker1, on january 24, 2006

Sound: This is the first album from the Yorkshire, two time chart-toppers Arctic Monkeys. In their first video they declare "Don't believe the hype," but I beg to differ after to listening to this album, as the hype seems just to me. The band's sound covers all aspects of british rock worth covering, from punk, ska, pop, rock 'n' roll, and funk. The most obvious influences are; The Clash, The Smiths and The Jam, the usual suspects for the influences of the current crop of British indie bands. However, what sets this band apart, is that they embrace more than just these select groups for influence, they have claimed many times to be fans of Queens Of The Stone Age, and System Of A Down, and if you listen closely you can hear the influence. But more importantly, is that the lads listened predominantly to rap and hip hop growing up, e.g. Roots Manuva, and although it doesnt change the music, it becomes very important in the lyrics of the band. I have read in a review of the album thet "If saturady night fever had been shot in Rotherham it would have sounded like this." I think is a very fair way of describing this album (if you didn't know, it was a positive review), but the album is so much more than that, a better quote from another excellent review is "Possibly the most important record of the 21st Century!" Simply great sound. // 10

Lyrics: This is where the album shines, put simpy, Lex Turner's lyrics describe perfectly how it is to live in Yorkshire in the 21st century, if you live in Yorkshire (like I do) then its like he has held a mirror up to your life. Some examples of the lyrics are: from Riot Van "Hello lads, have you been drinking, you don't look old enough to me, sorry officer is there a certain age your supposed to be?" or from Fake Tales Of San Francisco "The band were fucking wank and I'm not having a nice time!" or the best song lyrically A Certain Romance "Over there, there's broken bones, there's only music so that theres new ringtones." I immediately fell in love with the last lyric, in a time when crazy frog can get a number 1, it sums up the music scene they've come to destroy in one line. Brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is simply magnificent, it sounds like Mike Skinner (The Streets) singing over a Clash record. The lyrics really made it for me, as they ring true so much to my life right now, but if you like bands like, The Libertines, Kaiser Chiefs, or the '70s punk bands like The Clash or The Stranglers, you should really try this album, as it beats anything of the current music scene, and the band are sure to be even bigger than they already are (almost impossible at the moment here in the UK), and although maybe not a classic album yet, they are only 19 and can only get better, so to classify this album, I would say it is a one of the greatest debuts of all time. This band at the moment in the UK are 'the only band that matters' and this album is definitely worth buying, seeing as though it is "the most important record of the 21st century." // 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: isaacistheking, on january 27, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is nothing revolutionary. It's nothing that hasn't been done before, but this Yorkshire four piece carry a swagger and natural talent not seen since "Definitely Maybe" hit the shelves nearly a decade ago. This album is a non-stop ride, no filler just pure energy. If you're more into slower, acoustic things this isn't for you, it's electric madness, with the closest to a ballad being still-class "Riot Van." Yet while not offering any real variety on the two electric guitars/bass/drums set up, they still cram so many different noises, so much brilliance into one tight genre that you never become bored with the album and each song stands on it's own. I read somewhere that their musical style is based only on music of the past decade, which you can definitely hear. The music gives a real vibe of them picking up a Strokes or Libertines album, giving it a listen, and going "fuck, we can do this!" and banging it out in a garage. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this song struck me heavily when I heard them. I'm a thousand miles from them but still the strongs hit me in the chest. The lyrical stories told are great, as opposed to vague lyrical ideas like the grandeur offered by other big bands of today, like U2 or Coldplay, real down to earth, accessible ideas, unjust cops, angry bouncers, fake women, prostitution, wonderfully crafted way of telling how it really is for a 19 year old. Singing wise vocals aren't great but are sung with conviction and without trying to hide his accent which draws kudos from me and critics alike. // 10

Overall Impression: For a first album, it's stunning. Arrogance and energy unseen and hard to imagine from a group of 19 year olds. Radiohead's debut was shaky, Coldplay were very good but not like this, they've really got amazing potential and it's hard to imagine this is a first album. The most impressive songs for me would be "When The Sun Goes Down" or the fantastic closer "A Certain Romance." I love the energy about it all, the raw musicianship and great lyrics, I don't really dislike anything about it although I would be fascinated to hear an acoustic side of them. It's not released here in the U. S. yet, but I had a friend send it to me, and if it were to somehow be erased off my computer, I'd do anything in my power to get it back. // 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2006

Sound: The sound from this album is absolutely incredible. There isn't a single bad song on the album, and for being the most anticipated rock debut ever, it certainly does live up to it's expectations. The highlights of the album for me would be 'Mardy Bum' which has such an upbeat feel to it, despite the unpleasent type of relationship it's about. Fake Tales of San Francisco is another amazing track, and the instrumental endings on 'from the ritz to the rubble' and 'a certain romance' are absolutely incredible. A certain Romance is a particularly great song. It doesn't follow the traditional format of a song (verse bridge chorus), it has a start, a middle and an end and each one sounds great. // 9

Lyrics: Most of the songs on this album are about Saturday night or sunday morning, and the lyrics definitly do reflect this particular part of the weekend. 'Last night what we talked about, made so much sense, but now the haze has ascended it don't make no sense anymore'. Lyrically my favourite songs are Mardy Bum and Riot Van. Mardy Bum is about a person in life that can be great fun and all that, but when they want they can be right hard to get on with. I think I like it so much because I can definitly think of people in my life that are like this, 'Oh mardy bum, I see your frown and it's like looking down the barrel of a gun'. Riot Van is quite comical, it tells the story of a group of kids getting in trouble with the police, but they don't seem bothered by it at all, they just 'Wind the coppers up'. 'have you been drinking son, you don't look old enough to me, I'm sorry officer is there a certain age you're supposed to be' // 8

Overall Impression: There's something about the Arctic Monkeys, it's a known fact they are going to be one of the biggest bands of 2006, if not THE biggest band of 2006. Their debut album has all ready sold over 360000 copies, making it the fastest selling debut ever. They are more than just an indie band, and this album prooves it. From the amazing fast paced catchy first single, 'I bet that you look good on the dancefloor' to the funkiness of 'you probably couldn't see for the lights but you were looking right at me' there isn't a single bad song on this album. To pick a favourite track would be too difficult, there are just too many brilliant tracks. It's only January and I can all ready say with confidence this could well be the best cd of this year. // 9

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: MiniMusicMasta, on january 26, 2006

Sound: First of all, I have to say these guys are genius. This album shows lots of things, two of the most notable being: they write the best music in England and they aren't a half brilliant. They are the new brit-rock boys in town with no one in their way. Basically, every single song on this album would make a half-decent single. Musically, a work of art. // 10

Lyrics: Alex Turner isn't the most talented singer, but he is brilliant. He sings with a talking voice with a tune to it and these lyrics all mean something. 'Mardy Bum' is about a nagging girlfriend, 'When The Sun Goes Down' is about a prostitute and 'Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secure' is about nights out. All these lyrics mean something. Genius. Absolute genius. // 10

Overall Impression: No one compares to Arctic Monkeys. In August, these guys hadn't even got a record label. But thanks to the internet, their debut hit single 'Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' went straight to number 1 in England. Their new single 'When The Sun Goes Down' has also been number 1 too. Literally, I cannot stress enough about how awesome these guys are. // 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: TheNirvanaHead, on may 06, 2013

Sound: The Arctic Monkeys delivered an absolutely eternal, classic debut. In my opinion, one of the best debut albums in the alternative/indie rock genre. Mixed with fast powerchord guitar riffs, thundering drums, smooth basslines and sleazy vocals, The Arctic Monkeys dominated the scene with this album, which includes their hits: "When The Sun Goes Down", "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" and "Fake Tales Of San Francisco". The album definitely shows that is the "early" Arctic Monkeys, as it is much more faster and louder than any of their later albums. This album is one of their greatest albums, if not the best. Tracklist: 1. "The View From The Afternoon" - A good, strong, catchy track. Great opener for the album. 2. "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" - An absolute classic! A rocking, catchy song that will get everyone moving! 3. "Fake Tales Of San Francisco" - Another rocking anthem! A great song backed by a prominent riff and rhythm. 4. "Dancing Shoes" - A great song. Really catchy with a great guitar-line. 5. "You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights But You Were Staring Straight At Me" - A good song with catchy vocals and riffs. Great melody in it. 6. "Still Take You Home" - An absolute pumper! A really fast, catchy tune. One of my favourite Arctic Monkeys songs. 7. "Riot Van" - A slow, chill track. A great song, it focuses a lot on the lyrics more so than other tracks. 8. "Red Lights Indicate Doors Are Secured" - A good song with a catchy, strong guitar-line. Possibly the weakest track on the album but still a good tune. 9. "Mardy Bum" - Another slow-ish track, but still really melodic and catchy. One of their hits. 10. "Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But..." - A really catchy song. A tad underrated. 11. "When The Sun Goes Down" - Another hit and classic! Great use of dynamics. Great guitars and drums in it! 12. "From The Ritz To The Rubble" - Such an underrated song! One of my personal favourites. Really catchy vocals supported by a great bassline. 13. "A Certain Romance" - A really great song! A slower song with a catchy melody. A good song to end the album on.. // 10

Lyrics: This album's lyrics mainly consist of activities in night clubs, which perfectly suit the tempo of the fast-paced riffs. This theme is obvious in the tracks: "The View From The Afternoon", "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor", "Dancing Shoes", "Probably Couldn't See For The Lights But You Were Looking Straight At Me", "Still Take You Home" and "From Ritz To The Rubble". "Riot Van" seems to be about male adolescents being in trouble with the law, possibly based on past experience of the band in their youth. "Mardy Bum" is probably the most personal song on the album, lyric-wise. It seems to deal with a relationship. "When The Sun Goes Down" stands out lyrically as it deals with the subject of prostitution. The lyrics in the album are well planned out and work well with the music. Alex Turner delivers them superbly, with his distinct vocal style and snarling, strong British accent. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is absolutely brilliant. The catchy melodies, well planned out guitar-lines, smooth but quick basslines, the fast thundering drums and, of course, Turner's excellent vocals which deliver the lyrics perfectly. This album is very unique; I couldn't find a band that compares to it, so I admire the Arctic Monkeys for dominating the scene with such a unique, rocking album. Again, this album is much more faster, heavier and in-your-face more so than "Favourite Worst Nightmare", "Humbug" and "Suck It And See", which are the albums that show how they gradually mature but still deliver classic tunes. This is one of my favourite debut albums ever and I'd encourage anyone to give a listen!

// 10

Sound: I don't think there's anything 'clever' about this album at all. It's excellence is from the non-caring attitude. The punk era that comprised four guys who wanted to play music is perfectly personified, and justifiably successful. It's people venting themselves to an audience who adore something that they can listen to and identify with. This album tears you from whatever you're doing, and inserts you beautifully into the life of an incredibly observant teenager. // 9

Lyrics: A cross between Paul Weller and Mike Skinner perfectly describes the Arctic Monkeys. Funny, observant, and real. I don't feel Alex's voice detracts from the music in the slightest, it complements it excellently, I wouldn't want the lyrics sung perfectly, I couldn't imagine the singer experiencing those things if they were pitch perfect, they're flawed, and that's why it's nice. If you set out to create a band like this, I doubt you could. The songs are poetic, but not patronising. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the Arctic Monkeys with their new-found fame, when what made them has been their 'down-to-earth' recounting of their world. // 9

Overall Impression: Take the Jam, maybe Madness, and the raw commentary from early Oasis, and this is what you come up with. Innovative, perhaps not, but maybe that's the point. It's genuine British music, returned to it's roots. A wakeup call to remind us of what we've been missing. // 9

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: fourstringpunk, on january 30, 2006

Sound: This album is absolutely amazing. I bought it after hearing "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" and "Scummy," so I was expecting to find that the rest of the album would be filler to squeeze in past the qaulity of these two tracks. Not the case. Every single one of these tracks could be a number one single. Each song is fresh and has a new appeal, from the disgustingly catchy riffs of "Scummy" to the slow, beautiful "Riot Van." All this sint bad going since both guitarists only picked up a guitar two years ago, whihc definately shines through on the album. I'm definately not saying that the guitar work is poor, but its so raw and fresh. Just total talent in a box here. // 10

Lyrics: I can really connect with these lyrics and everything what they are saying, as I'm a northerner and the bands lyrics are revolved around northern life, about wanting to break out from the shitty scumpit that is Northern England, which is definately a big factor to why I find this band so appealing. Yeah, the singer cant sing, but in this band it really doesnt matter, you are more occupied with what he is saying then the actual quality of his voice. // 10

Overall Impression: You must buy this album. This is the first time since Nevermind that an album has spawned so many amazing songs, there really is just nothing to dislike about it. I love the lyrics, the riffs, the spectre of genres they mix from funk to jazz to indie. If anyone ever stole this album from me id find them, break their legs and slowly tear off each limb in their body. // 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: supersonic1983, on january 30, 2006

Sound: The sound of the Arctic Monkeys is relatively simple; there's nothing here to disappoint you, but similarly there's nothing to astound you. The songs are built around pretty basic riffs, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but the hype surrounding the band would perhaps lead you to believe there's a little more substance than you will find. I can't fault the energy of the music, but over the course of forty minutes I personally started to long for a little more variety. Riot Van is probably the only song that steps away from the sound, but that, in my opinion, is at best an album filler. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics, on the other hand, are outstanding. This is the reason that I love the album; at times Alex Turner is an accidental comedy genius, and his ability to capture the everyday is unparalleled in today's modern music scene. Don't get me wrong, as a songwriter myself I generally find it easier to write in the vein of the so-called 'big bands', but that doesn't mean to say I can't appreciate the ideas on offer in these songs. // 10

Overall Impression: For a debut album, this is very good, just not as good as people would have you believe. There are some brilliant tracks on the album (Dancefloor, Sun Goes Down, Fake Tales Of San Francisco), but the other ten songs don't quite reach up to those high standards. It may well be the fastest selling debut album of all time, but put up against its predecessor (Oasis' Definitely Maybe) it is comparitively short on songs which are 'single quality'. A good album nonetheless though, and definitely the benchmark for the rest of 2006. // 8

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: guitaristclass, on march 01, 2006

Sound: The first impression of the arctic monkeys that you hear, and this is apparent in all of their songs, is that they have a very modern sound. I'm not saying they are unique but they are definitely making an impression over here in the UK. I think that most of their influence comes from the 'old skool' bands like the kinks and the hives. Which is awesome because I am a fan of them both. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. Most of them seem to be about relationships and life in general, which I seem to have made to sound veeeery boring, but its not. They offer a excelent comparison to other bands of this genre and the music suits the lyrics exactly as they should. No non-conformism here! // 9

Overall Impression: This is deffinatly one of my favourite albums so far this year. My favourite songs fromt this album are 'I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor' and 'when The Sun Goes Down'. I love the sound of the guitars and the mixture of the voice, that some years ago would have been regarded as rubbish. I reminds me of the kings of leon. This is deffintaly an album I would replace if it were lost or stolen or something. You need this album! // 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: hatfullofhollow, on march 27, 2006

Sound: The Arctic Monkeys have an incredibly fresh sound. The driving beats and incredible guitar riffs contribute to an overall sound that is incredible. From the get go with 'View From The Evening' with its manic guitar and faced paced vocals delivers a sound that keeps you hooked from first song to the last, well almost last. As the album continues, the crazy guitar and driving bass lines seem to cease. You end up around the ninth track wondering why the album slowed down so much. This is a great album with an incredible few first songs, if the Arctic Monkeys could have carried the same energy througout, they would have a truly remarkable album on their hands. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well thought out. The only problem with the lyrics is that sometime you can't understand them because of all the music in the background. The lyrics really deserve to be heard, and if you manage to pick them out, you will find out how great they are. // 9

Overall Impression: For the Arctic Monkeys debut album this is incredible. They released an incredible alternative work of art. It has grown to be the largest selling debut album in the UK, so that speaks for itself. if you have any doubts about buying this album, abandon them. Pick up 'Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not', you'll love it, a definite buy. // 9

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: leezer, on march 28, 2006

Sound: When I first listened to the album I noticed a very unique sound from all the songs. The pingy distortion gives the arctic monkeys a distinctive sound and to be fair with all the hype, the least that can be said is that the albums sound is certainly original. This could be seen as a dance/rock genre and it's music that rock kids can actually dance to as opposed to moshing. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are like rough diamonds, everyday stuff sung and mixed into a beat, in a way that makes it seem cool yet close to the heart and genuine. Without good lyrcs there can be no good music and vice versa. To try and hear what the lead singer is saying is difficult but when you do make it out you'll be thinking to yourself "That's a good point actually." You'll be grinning at the social overtones of the lyrics, not dealing with politics or religion but rather dealing with problems you have going out on a saturday night and the police and kids causing havoc around the estates they live in. They kept it real and said what thought and meant in their songs. The lyrics are offbeat but that's why people like this band so much; they are seen as non-corformists even in the rock world. The outlook of the band could quite rightly be described as narrow minded and self obsessed but that's all part of an image and that image comes across in this post grunge/garage music. // 7

Overall Impression: The sheer lack of fluidity of music and lyrics gives the Arctic Monkeys a punk sounding album but if you think about it they aren't particularly punk, just a bunch of mates who strum good chords and talk about stuff. Reminiscent of Oasis, they don't seem to care for long lasting hooks but it's time for the rock kids who sit in the corner to get on their feet. Clearly an album with negative mixed in with a positive message, this is an example of how music should be made; with vigor and without an egotistical tone saying that 'We are better than you', although to be fair there is a hint of it. These guys are similar to a lot of bands yes but I think the difference is that other bands worry too much about image rather than making good tunes, in my opinion Bloc Party did the job of making dance worthy music but clearly these fellas are more in touch with working class people and have an idea of what's going on in the real world, there are negative aspects like a clear urgency to intentially manipulate accents in singing but this is what makes this band so appealing to many. Could be improved upon but still very good effort at an album. // 7

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: SHREDDzilla, on august 18, 2006

Sound: Finally a good record. Something fresh. The british lads called Arctic Monkeys have created a lot of hype this year, well they live up to it as well. All the songs on this album are simply great, each being potential singles. Nice riffs, even though simple, everything sounds great. They combine the sound from garage rock to punk to ska to rock n roll to brit rock, all of 'em combined. Undoubtebly one of the best releases of 2006. Surely they're gonna be one of the biggest bands around. // 10

Lyrics: This is the highlight of this album. Alex Turner is a genius. All the songs have lyrics that can be related to and they tell stories of what is happening in the world, not the political shit though, just fun stories. The basslines are awesome and the vocals and the accent are jus the icing on the top. // 10

Overall Impression: I've found nothing comparing to the monkeys. I don't know why people try to compare them to earlier OASIS..they'r nothin like it. Take my advice and just buy this album. it's way better than 90% of the shit that's released these days..all the tiring modern rock shit, this album is a breath of fresh air. 'I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor', 'Mardy Bum', 'Riot Van', 'Fake Tales Of San Fransisco', 'A Certain Romance' are my favs. If this album gets lost a million times. I'd buy it a million times or maybe buy it once, and get a great security system. Well just buy it folks! // 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on august 23, 2006

Sound: The Arctic Monkeys are well known for their bass and two guitars, and even drums for that matter, which produce litrally stunning moments of sound. Such talent saturated all the way through. Every song is detailed with truly amazing stuff with the odd solo blasting out the amp. The teen's certaintly have a fair few jealous of their guitars (including me)! If your quite advanced in guitar playing then these songs were designed for you! Although a rock band the three songs: A Certain Romance, Mardy Bum and Riot Van which go quite slow but steady pace but still producing the pure quality you bought the album for. Steady beats and thumbs up all round. // 10

Lyrics: Their songs have meanings and good morals mainly talking about things in a teenager's world or eyes. The lyrics are something special. Alex Turner: Vocals fits a few long sentances into tight rhythms. For example in the cool song: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, the line: "But this lad at the side drinking a Smirnoff ice came and payed for her tropical reef" really shows talent and the use of company names is cool. And also their strong Sheffeild accents help promote that more than how good the song already is. The words arn't necessarily on the beat which is a nice and rock-y genre. The lyrics of the Arctic Monks are really something to look up to if starting a new band. It's as if Alex is a walking dictionary or's looked every single word up in the dictionary for a better one to replace it when producong these songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is defiently a must-buy. One word, attidude. Whatever they do they keep their cool even enphersizing on only 3 notes as shown in the song: Still Take You Home' Intro. If I lost this I'd certaintly buy another one and even if that one's lot I'd probably do the same. Hey, but why and how could it be lost? I take great care putting it into the CD case or drive! These are my second fab band to The Strokes who I've wrote a reveiw of their latest album if you'd like to see that. Talking about the Strokes they are probably one of The Monks' biggest rivals I expect. The teens really stand out in music as they let everyone know in this album. Best songs, well all the songs are the best but I'd say the two very best would be: Still Take You Home and A Certain Romance. Smoking, girls, late-night drinking, fights, drugs, alcohol, money galore it's all mixed and packed in the songs. Having sold over 350,000 copies of this album in the first week of it being in the shops I'm not surprised, and titled fastest ever selling dubet album, blimey. I must mention what a good band name they've chosen. Having impressed the U.k and the US, I'd say the band of '06. // 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: mental_zer0, on september 20, 2006

Sound: The Arctic Monkeys have a unique sound. Though some say that they sound too much like Oasis or other big English bands, these guys throw in their own little touches to make it their own. With their big single, "I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor" they establish a fair representation of their style. Though it can get repetitive at times, they will throw in something different just when it's needed to spice up the album. Some songs of note are: The View From The Afternoon, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights But You Were Looking Right At Me, Mardy Bum, When the Sun Goes Down, A Certain Romance. These songs got just the right amount of playtime, though mostly on satellite radio now. Just enough to be popular, but not so much that the songs are grating. The album is alays refreshing. // 8

Lyrics: If you aren't from the UK, the singing style may take some getting used to, but that shouldn't be considered a fault. If anything, it adds some style to every song. I don't know if I can call it singing though. It's more of a sing-talk. He is essentially talking lyrically. It does help people sing along though, increasing the party factor. The lyrics are extremely catchy too, especiall in "From The Ritz To The Rubble." // 9

Overall Impression: It's a great album, essential for a house party. Almost all of the songs make good dance songs and their great for getting everyonw moving. The songs and lyrics work really well together, and the fact that the guitarist hasn't been playing for very long earns the Arctic Monkeys some bonus points. What I found interesting though is that the versions of songs played on videos and satellite radio differ from those found on the album, most noticeably "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor." In any case, the album is great, definitely check it out to see if it matches your tastes. Chances are, it will. // 8

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: bluemoon05, on april 06, 2007

Sound: Arctic Monkey's album was overhyped to the max but it doesn't stop it being the best album of 2006. The band as a whole sound fnatastic the bass lines are fantastic with some great drumming. The rhythm guitarist is quite talented considering he's only been playing for a few years. However the most important part of the Arctic Monkeys is their lead guitartist and singer, Alex Turner. His voice is what gives the band their individual sounds and sets them apart from other bands in the genre. He comes up with some fantastic riffs and solos and make the band what they are. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a part of the Arctic Monkeys that puts them ahead of the band. The lyrics are about modern day life, going out on friday nights. Turner is as much a great lyricist as he is a great story-teller, this is what makes his lyrics so intresting. Each song is telling it's own story and the stand-out of these is the beautiful Riot Van. He talks about being chased by the police and when they catch him he gives these fantastic lyrics 'Have you been drinking son, you don't look old enough to me, I'm sorry officer is there a certain age you're supposed to be, cos nobody told me'. This shows how witty Alex Turner is. // 9

Overall Impression: In terms of other albums in the genre it blows them out of the pond and emerges as by far the best album of 2006. The best song in the album is Mardy Bum and this easily goes down as one of my favourite songs ever. The opening guitar riff with the fantastic singing and beautiful lyrics throughout makes it a top quality song. There are some other gems on the album as well such as Scummy, starting off a slow acoustic song and turning into a great rock song. The album is finished with A Certain Romance, another fantastic song. Telling another great story as Turner does so well. There is nothing I dislike about this album it is truly top quality. If it were stolen or lost I would have to buy it again because it is easily one of my favourite albums. // 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not Reviewed by: Amalgam, on august 18, 2007

Sound: The Arctic Monkeys are club indie rock at its finest. The sound can be smooth, the sound can be gritty, but it keeps a good beat and good sound. For a debut album the Arctic Monkeys have outdone themselves, and as an album Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not does everything that it should, and, for the most part, does it right. The sound is dominated by indie guitars infused with the spirit of the nightclubs, a well defined bass line, and a solid drum beat. The album is the best selling debut album in the UK ever. Don't worry, it definitely lives up to the hype. // 9

Lyrics: Alex Turner is an amazing lyricist, no question. He's not attacking the government or making some universal gesture, he's not even trying to say something so ridiculously important. Turner's lyrics are some of the most down to earth lyrics I've ever heard from a rock band. Most detail the life, love, and laughs of the British nightlife. The lyrics aren't profound or life changing, which is probably why they're so amazingly well written. The lyrics fit the music well, not going for an atmospheric, ambient album, but for a down to earth, "real" album. The sound is fresh and the lyrics are even fresher. And, while the British accent might turn off a few, Turner's voice fits the lyrics accordingly. // 9

Overall Impression: The Arctic Monkeys debut album is an instant classic in my book. It triumphs where millions fail, grasping the mundane lives of teenagers and making them fantastic. The most impressive songs on the album have to be "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor", "Riot Van", "When the Sun Goes Down" and "A Certain Romance". The album doesn't try to be mind blowing, and that's what makes it so incredible. If this album were ever stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again faster than you can the album's name. The Arctic Monkeys debut "Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not" is an amazing first work by a great band, and is surely a precursor to bigger and better work in the future. // 9

More Arctic Monkeys reviews rating latest review