Smile For Them Review

armor for sleep: Smile For Them
Release Date: Oct 30, 2007
Label: Sire
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Emo, Indie Rock, Dream Pop
If you were a fan of any of their previous albums you will be very impressed and satisfied with this one.
 8.9
 9.9
 7.9
Smile For Them Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2007

Sound: I've been waiting for this CD for a very long time and Armor For Sleep, as always, absolutely thrilled me with their current release "Smile For Them". The Band has once again improved their overall sound but has kept it similar enough to bring back amazing memories of their previous album "What To Do When You Are Dead?" The use of edited and electronic rhythms and background noise once again perfectly establishes an amazing mood when listening to the CD and carries on all the way through. Armor For Sleep evolves their style to the next level keeping listeners interested, but yet not loosing that classic Armor For Sleep style we've all grown quite fond of. // 10

Lyrics: Ever since "Dream to Make Believe" Ben Joregensen's lyrics have absolutely thrilled me in the way he pours soul and emotion into his lyrics. The lyrics match with the rhythm of each of the songs perfectly and makes the already amazing instrumentals of each song even better through his raw emotion. // 10

Overall Impression: Must listen songs: Smile For The Camera, Williamsburg, Lullaby, Chemicals, Stand In The Spotlight. I don't think I could find anything wrong with this disc even after listening to it well over a dozen times. The songs are unique yet fit together quite nicely and you'll be looking up sheet music for some of the songs almost immediately so you can play along. If you were a fan of any of their previous albums you will be very impressed and satisfied with this one and even if you haven't heard them before I suggest logging onto their website and giving some of the tunes a listen. Definitely worth the money! // 10

Smile For Them Reviewed by: parkerguitars24, on january 12, 2008

Sound: I guess the most important thing to say is their sound has evolved enough to attract new fans, but not so much that it will alienate old ones. The depressing overtone of "What Do To Do When You Are Dead" still lives on on "Smile for Them" but not in a big way. They've actually got some hopeful, almost inspiring, songs on this one, such as "Hold the Door", "Stars in Your Eyes", and "My Saving Grace." They've used synthesizers and background noises on previous works, but not as prominently as "Smile for Them." // 9

Lyrics: Finally on this album, Ben has written some hopeful lyrics that aren't as depressing. "Dream to Make Believe" and "What to Do When You are Dead" had great lyrics but, none quite like these. Like I mentioned before, this album is tinged with hope, which is almost kind of taking a risk. // 10

Overall Impression: I definitely am more than satisfied with this album. The way they've matured on this one really gets me. I'd recommend this for anyone who enjoyed their previously albums, but wants something a little different. The strongest songs on this were "Williamsburg", "Snow Globe", "End of the World", "Stars In Your Eyes", and "Lullaby." If this were lost or stolen, I would buy it again, without having to think about it. // 10

More Armor For Sleep reviews rating latest review