What To Do When You Are Dead Review

armor for sleep: What To Do When You Are Dead
Released: Feb 22, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Emo, Post-Hardcore, Indie Rock, Dream Pop
Right from the very first palm muted chord on Armor For Sleep's sophomore release, it's clear the band wasn't interested in breaking any boundaries.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.4
 9.8
What To Do When You Are Dead Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2005

Sound: Recently I attended the Warped Tour, and had the privelage of hearing this great band. Upon my return to town I immediatley bought their CD and I'm glad to say I wasn't dissapointed. A band with the regular emo sound that you would hear at warped with a great twist thrown in. Awesome guitar riffs accompanied by the powerful drumbs really helped to bring out the best this band has to offer. // 10

Lyrics: Overall I was really pleased with the lyrics on this album. They dove deep into the human emotions and helped to tell stories from members of the band without the cryptic tongue. Anthony Dilonno can create phrases and lyrics out of seeming nothingness of ordinary everyday things. My favorite lyrical song is by far their current single "Car Underwater." // 10

Overall Impression: If I were to compare it to other albums, I coudln't. I think this band is in a league of its own. The best songs on the album are Car Underwater, More You Talk The Less I Hear, Basement Ghost Singing, and Walking At Night, Alone. Not to say the other songs arent good, but these are great. I love the whole emo vibe Antony can give off with his lyrics without having to succumb to talking about bleeding in every song. A very impressive CD, I recommend it to everyone who is a fan of the genre. // 10

What To Do When You Are Dead Reviewed by: Seenilerun, on june 08, 2005

Sound: Wow. I was seriously impressed. It was just one of those days where you pick up random CDs and bring them to the listening station to see if you found anything you liked. I did. I had not heard Armor For Sleep before, nor had I ever heard of them but they have a great sound. Mixing great vocal parts with equally enticing guitar and bass lines on almost every song on here. The disk is worth the ten to fifteen bucks you'll spend on it. // 10

Lyrics: Also was quite impressed. There are some times when you here some emo band screaming to what could be the dumbest lyrics ever but these have some depth and some meaning. The whole album basically revolves around this theme about a boy being dead and wandering around a familiar place as a ghost. The singer just pusts so much intensity and passion in these words that you can believe for a second that he's actually this character who has died. Great job all around. // 10

Overall Impression: Now if you like My Chemical Romance, Bayside, or Hawthorne Heights you will easilly like Armor For Sleep's "What To Do When You Are Dead." In all honesty, it holds par to all of their albums, and in some cases surpases them. Best songs would have to be "Car Underwater" and "The Truth About Heaven." Both have great lyrics and vocals. That's what is most impressive about this album and band. The singer. He has an imense amount of talent and you really got to hear it to understand. This is totally worth whatever they charge for it. // 10

What To Do When You Are Dead Reviewed by: random_player, on july 25, 2005

Sound: My first impression on the sound was amazing. I think AFS has really done a great job mixing all parts together. Not much else to say about the sound, it's great as it is. // 10

Lyrics: Loved the lyrics, they were fun to listen to. The singer really knows how to get his thought out into the music. They really attract your attention but it doesn't distract you while listening to the song because it's really well written. Yeah, they're some of the most awesome lyrics I've ever seen. // 10

Overall Impression: If your hesitant about buying this CD, don't! I'm never going to regret the day I picked this album up! If it were stolen or lost, I'd definately run back to the store and buy it again. Some songs I really enjoyed are "Car Underwater," "Awkward Last Words," "The Truth About Heaven" and "The More You Talk The Less I Hear." // 10

What To Do When You Are Dead Reviewed by: LacDog, on december 07, 2005

Sound: This CD definitely sounds amazing. There are some solid riffs and some good solos. This band has improved from their last CD, where most of the songs sounded the same. In this CD, each song is unique and interesting. You won't get bored with any of the songs and you will absolutely be able to listen to this CD beginning to end over and over again. // 10

Lyrics: This CD is about just what it is titled What To Do When You Are Dead. The songs take you through the afterlife of a man. The CD starts with Car Underwater, descriving the man's death. Then with songs like Truth About Heaven and Basement Ghost Singing, they continue the man's post mordem journey. The lyrics seem to fit in very well with the songs and sound very good. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a really impressive album. I was addicted from the first time I heard it and I am still listening to it constantly. I have even gone as far as learning all the songs on my guitar. This is defenitely valuable and worth buying. I strongly suggest this CD if punk emo is your type of music. // 10

What To Do When You Are Dead Reviewed by: chriswashere3, on june 22, 2007

Sound: Armor For Sleep is a terrific band. Their sound has some sort of original uniqueness to it. The dual guitar on some of the songs is great. Ben and PJ use great riffs followed up by Nash's hardcore drumming and Anthony's bass. Ben's voice is amazing! If you have the chance to see these guys live. // 10

Lyrics: What To Do When Your Dead is basically a concept album about, well, what to do when your dead. Their lyrics are really emotional and ingenius. Ben Jorganson is such a kickass singer. He can play guitar at the same time and hit all the notes perfectly. Live, he does scream, but it only makes it better. // 10

Overall Impression: Armor is just an amazing band. They also have another album, Dreams To Make Believe and it's kickass. However, I personally think both albums have their own unique sound and personality. Remember To Feel Real has a great intro and it's a great song along with Stay On The Ground. If you don't already own this, what the hell is wrong with you? Stop reading this and buy this album and headbang to it for the next three days straight. // 10

What To Do When You Are Dead Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2005

Sound: Well I first got hooked on armor for sleep when 'Dream To Make Believe' came out, it was an amazing CD, This one blows DTMB out of the water. Most people would say this was emo, and I agree, they definetly bring taste back into the genre. With fast and heavy songs to slow techno beats, this cd has it all. The lead singer has an amazing voice and defiently uses his skill on this record. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty good in my opinion, but a couple of songs lacked lyricle talent, 'Car Underwater' had the best lyrics in my opinion, 'The More You Talk The Less I Hear' well to put into nicely, isnt so good with lyrics, yet the songs are still amazing. The singer has amazing skills and I hope to see more from this amazing band. The lyrics went extremly well with the music, not once did I feel that the singing was out of tune with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this CD does not compare to any other bands. The most impressive songs are 'Car Underwater,' 'Remember To Feel Real,' 'The Truth About Heavn' and 'Stay On The Ground.' I love this CD and hate nothing about it. It is such an amazing record. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it in a heartbeat. // 10

What To Do When You Are Dead Reviewed by: NirvanaTDGfan, on july 07, 2005

Sound: This album is totally breathtaking. I picked up this album because I had heard good things about their first album, and I was very happy with this CD. It's probably one of the better CDs I've bought before. The guitar, bass, drums, vocals, everything just goes perfectly into place. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are the best lyrics I've ever seen from a emo band. At first read I thought it was a story following a dead kid who tries to come back home and he misses all his friends but when he comes back he is rejected and he finds out they have moved on, but if you interpret the lyrics it's about the singers' real life and that the lyrics about dying and being invisible are just metaphors for him feeling unoticed and finding out his friends never cared about him. I think the singer has a great voice for his genre and he can write great lyrics that fit perfectly with the music. On the last track he even puts ina nice scream. I hope to see more screaming on the next album! // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best punk/emo album I've bought. It's not an album I can ever see myself getting sick of. I can definetly listen to each song all the way through and not get bored. I love everything about this CD and I think one of my favorite parts is on the last track how the singer repeats the bridge from the truth about heaven. This is a masterpiece. Great choruses, verses, bridges and impressive guitar bass, and especially drum, pieces. I like the uniqueness on quick little flight. It's a peacefull little break from the rest of the album and it's different than anything I've heard. It's very much worth the 15 bucks I spent. If I lost it or it was stolen I would buy it over and over and over. // 10

What To Do When You Are Dead Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 17, 2006

Sound: I was speechless. Someone told me about these guys, and I never even downloaded anything about them, I just went straight out and purchased this cd. The opening track, Car Underwater, blew me out of the water. The guitars in this are all so well done, Whether it's the clean tones or the heavily distorted tones, their all very well played. The drum beats, too, are very well done. Congratulations to Nash. The bass is simple, but it gets the job done. Overall, the instruments are done well, although, the real power in this album is the singer. Ben's vocals are done twice as good as the first albums, with more expression on the emotions in his voice. On the first album I thought of his voice as bland and boring. But on this album, he does a great job. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are indeed, the albums strongpoint. From the opening track, Car Underwater, the lyrics bring you on a journey of a man who's ghost came back to follow around his old lover. These lyrics can also make connections to Ben's life in a whole, as'well. The lyrics fit directly in with the music. They fit perfectly in with the guitars and whatnot. Sheer perfections. "Put your heart on your sleeve and watch me pull it down." That, my friends, is a memorable quote from Stay On The Ground, one of my personal favorite tracks. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, the best songs are: Car Underwater, The Truth About Heaven, Awkward Last Words, and I Have Been Right All Along. Armor For Sleep are a band that I can't compare to anyone else. They get their emotions out without screaming at the top of their lungs, and unlike most emo bands; aren't 100% depressing to listen to. If I lost this album, I woulden't go buy it again, because I'd probaly be in a corner having a panic attack because I can't find it. Afterwards, however, I'd instantly run to the nearest HMV/Cd Plus location, and grab another copy. This is a complete listen, that can be enjoyed again and again. If you haven't already done so, buy it! // 10

More Armor For Sleep reviews rating latest review