The Game of Life Review

Arsonists Get All The Girls: The Game of Life
Released: Aug 14, 2007
Genre: Deathcore, Avant-Garde Metal
Label: Century Media
The Game of Life is the second LP released by Arsonists Get All the Girls.
 8.8
 9.1
The Game of Life Reviewed by: Spwee1494, on november 11, 2008

Sound: They started out as a joke, but got more serious and have their own sound. It's almost indescribable, but I'll do my best to explain it. Think of the Metalcore genre (don't get turned off by the term) style singing, with death metal, grindcore, jazz, Ska, an amazing keyboardist and guitarists that play the most interesting riffs and progressions I've heard in a good while. This album, this band is experimental metal. This thing clocks in about 40 minutes, not too long or too short. I almost overlooked this band, the fact some songs sound like things out of such things such as a circus to a video game, to a strings ensemble, to techno, to just metal. Listening several times brings a new voyage through your imagination everytime. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics range from so deep it would confuse Shakespeare himself, to death metal gore related obsession, to so freakin' random it's not even funny. The deepest lyrics come into play form "Save The Castle, Screw The Princess" "Told to take roads not even treaded on before We are dust thrown upon the dirt Ash made our eyes We say we are and obey another Does your right hand even know what your left hand is doing right now?" The intro to "So You Think You Know About The Game Of Life" will leave you laughing and repeating it several times. The piano at the end of the song is also clever. The vocals seem to match all the songs amazingly. I'd love to hear one song completely sung clean though. The screaming is soooo diverse from other bands that scream, ranging from satanic lows, to the most unique highs I've heard in a good while. The keyboardist and Lead singer scream, different styles and duets. // 9

Overall Impression: To other similar artists, not that similar even, because these guys sound so original, would be Between The Buried and Me kicked up a notch. The best songs are all of them! But ones to be brought to attention are "Shoeshine For Neptune", "Cuffed To Your Ankles", "Save The Castle, Screw The Princess" and "So You Think You Know About The Game Of Life" I love the sound. Sounds like each song was planned well. All diverse from one another and everything else on the market. They need one real hook filled song though, I mean melodic, to grab attention of those who don't like some of the extreme heavy songs. Regardless, worth checking this on out. If this were stolen or lost, I'd buy another one just to support the band. Worth it for only $8! // 9

The Game of Life Reviewed by: plague_runner, on december 19, 2008

Sound: This is an experimental/death core/Synth metal at it's wildest. Arsonists Get all the Girls's "The Game of Life" is really chaotic, humorous, heavy, and poppy all at the same time. You can be Moshing one minute, then dance the next minute. The sound quality though could use some work and everything can get pretty nerve racking. The drums are well done, the guitar riffs are good too, just not the most memorable. The synths are my favorite part of the band, because they are extremely poppy and get snuck in to most songs and really change things up a bit, and also gives the band a little industrial flavor. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very confusing, I can't tell what they are even trying to say, but they work some how. The vocals are screamed, shreiked, growled, and chanted by 2 vocalists(even though only one is in the band currently) You can pretty much tell the difference between the 2 vocalists. 1 of them has a more Nasaly sound and the other has more of a hard-core/punk sound. I believe that each others vocals compliment each other well and create some interesting noise. great for Death core and Hard core fans. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is pretty good just not the most beautiful peice of work out there but it's definently something unique and I love this band to death. Seeing this band live is a treat in itself, they are very funny and treat their shows as if it was a party v.s a metal show. If you like your spazz bands like Heavy Heavy Low Low, or your experimental Death core bands like Between the Buried and Me, then you'll love Arsonists get all the Girls. Check out these tracks: Matipede, Shoe Shine for Neptune, The Game of Life. // 8

More Arsonists Get All The Girls reviews rating latest review