An Ocean Between Us Review

8.9
 8.6
 9.1
An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: RG_FANMAN, on august 31, 2007

Sound: It's been 2 years since As I Lay Dying released "Shadows are Security". Since then, they've been touring nonstop, writing, and dealing with the departure of bassist Clint Norris. Due to this, the band has changed their sound. AILD used to be known for being a pretty heavy metalcore band doing everything from growls to the typical metalcore chorus to breakdowns. Now, they've added a heavy thrash element to their sound that makes them sound even better. As for the reasoning behind the change in direction, Tim Lambesis (vocals) is quoted as saying: "(We) spent some time listening to our last album [2005's Shadows Are Security] and, just from being on tour, we became a little bit jaded by how the genre as a whole has sort of copied itself over and over again. We decided we wanted to be more diverse, even down to the point where we sort of felt like we should really focus on writing songs in different categories, and then pick the best songs from those categories and use them for the record." From the two solos in the opening track (actually the second on the CD, but the first is an instrumental piece), you can tell AILD's gone through some changes, and I'd have to say, they're welcome. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics on older AILD albums I've alway enjoyed (to a certain extent). They've never really been earth shatteringly contemplative (at least, to me), but they've gotten the job done. On this record though, they've been bumped up a few notches. The first single from the album, "Nothing Left" deals with humanity and it's obsession with pursuing material satisfaction. Again, Lambesis is quoted as saying; "I originally wrote the lyrics describing the certain decay of the world around us. While more and more people pursue meaningless relationships and desire for material things, I've realized that we have "nothing left" in common." The other lyrics are just as good (although cover different themes, from betrayals to relationships). Still, I think it is better than previous lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I can't complain. This album is excellant. AILD have evolved (and not in the Avenged Sevenfold way of making their music super commercial), and it's definitely a good thing. As guitarist Nick Hipa said: "Collectively we've all pushed ourselves, and we're all doing things that we weren't even capable of doing on the last record. And on top of just experimenting and trying different things, I think we just wrote some pretty sick jams, so I'm happy with it. That's all I can say. For kids who like our band and think they know what to expect from us, it might throw them off a little bit. I encourage anybody who likes our band to approach this album with an open mind." So, in conclusion, old AILD fans and those new to AILD's music should definitely check out this album. Undoubtebly, there will be something you'll like (hell, if you're a guitarist or drummer you'll at least dig the music aspect of it). // 9

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 31, 2007

Sound: An Ocean Between Us is As I Lay Dying's first album after 2005 release Shadows Are Security. I should admit this metalcore band puts out LPs as on schedule -- every two years in the summer! The majority of the tracks on the new album are very intense with bombing drums and furious guitars. Though comparing to the band's previous releases, An Ocean Between Us is more melodic and diverse. Working on it the album the guys were aiming to do something but generic metalcore and they quite achieved the aim! There is a solid backbone in the music which is performed by storming rhythm section -- Jordan Mancino on drums and Josh Gilbert on bass. Such a strong foundation allows musicians to put layers of different flourishes on top. There are a lot of wonderful, amazingly fast guitar solos. Learn one of them and you can say you know how to play guitar! The harmonies the guys use are as well something worth to be studied individually. The guys' songwriting greatly matured -- songs sound solid and thought-out. The production of the record was confided to the fellow colleague Adam Dutkiewicz from Killswitch Engage. The sound of both bands is quite close to each other, so the producer obviously knew what he was doing. Delicate Departed sounds like borrowed from some symphony and serves a very nice break. The follower aggressive and loud Wrath Upon Ourselves hits with a new force even harder. The album ends very peacefully -- galloping This Is Who We Are suddenly turns into mild acoustic grand piano and even finishes with a major chord. Which is probably the sign -- things are not as scary as they seem! // 8

Lyrics: Unlike a lot of bands of their genre, singing about the end of the world and destruction, As I Lay Dying are trying to find positive subjects for their songs. This way they hope more younger people can relate to their music. Instead of destruction they sing about salvation; instead of the end -- about the dream. The vocal job is shared between the frontman Tim Lambesis and new bassist Josh Gilbert. While Lambesis is in charge of harsh screamo he used to do on the past records, Gilbert is dealing with melodic parts. I should say the new vocalist is copping with his duties quite good -- he delivers intense singing, which goes well with Lambesis powerful screaming. Even though the formula of one guy screaming and somebody whining a melody on the background usually works out to be dull and uninteresting, As I Lay Dying somehow manage it to sound good -- could be the merit of improved songwriting or wise production. // 8

Overall Impression: The tracks on the album are balanced very good and the album goes smooth from one song to another without any extremes. As I lay Dying manage to keep their music on the same level one album after another, never being too far from their original sound. The new release is no exception and should not disappoint the fans of the band. // 8

- Kosh (c) 2007

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: BumSnack, on august 31, 2007

Sound: As I Lay Dying stay close to their sound featured on their past albums. Yet it may take old listeners some time to get used to this album. The vocals by Tim Lambesis are relatively the same and their new bass player Josh Gilbert provides clean vocals on most tracks. The vocals sound great and are catchy but gets unoriginal as you listen through the album. The guitar work is what this stands out from the rest of their albums. The guitars are incorporating almost Iron Maiden like harmonies throughout the album. Lead guitarist Phil Sgrosso also features some great solos on this album. The opening riff to "Within Destruction" is almost Slayer-like, showing that the guitarists bring some of their more thrash metal influences into this album. Overall the sound is nearly spotless. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics stay true to As I Lay Dying's Christianity. Lyrics consist of the troubles of the world, love, and redemption. Nothing satanic. The lyrics fit well into the songs, the more heartfelt lyrics are usually sung, and the lyrics that are more angry, or trying to get a point through are screamed. Both Lambesis and Gilbert sound great throughout the album. I was impressed by the lyrics and the capabilities of Lambesis and Gilbert's voices. // 9

Overall Impression: I was overall impressed by this album. Easily in my opinion their best songwriting to date. I bought this album and was never tempted to skip to the next track, each song had something to show for it. This song features 2 instrumentals and a ballad, this is new for As I Lay Dying fans and I don't think they will dislike them one bit. I love the guitars in this album, some technical riffs, and some simple yet catchy licks. The only bad thing I can say about this album is the vocals get a tiny bit repetetive. If this was stolen, hell yeah I would buy it again. Go buy this album, if you are an old As I Lay Dying fan, or even if you aren't that big of a metalcore fan (and I'm not) you will love this album. // 10

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: Nathan_393, on december 14, 2007

Sound: AILD has come quite a long ways since Shadows Are Security, and has made an arguably strong record. It feels like it's lost some of the brutality that they had before, though. That was the first difference that I noticed. It's got a really good thrash sound, but the best song on the whole CD is Nothing Left. It's the second track, and after that it just feels like the CD goes downhill. To be honest, I didn't like the last four or five tracks all that much. They were good songs, but they don't feel like they flow well with the album. Everything keeps getting quieter and less metal towards the end. I think AILD should have spiced it up with some more thrashy songs at the end of the CD. One of the things that saves the record is the solos, which are well done and I can't complain. But don't expect this CD to blow away your mind because, apart from the solos, it doesn't feel like the boys have evolved much. And it's not as thrashy as people would have you think. It still sounds really hard/metalcore. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are Christian. No swearing, nothing "bad" about them. They're pretty good. They're very hopeful. And the singer is pretty good, excellent, actually. He manages to balance well between screams and singing, although his growling presence is too similar to his screams for my taste. There's plenty left to be desired though, because his screams do sound very Killswitch Engage-inspired. That's no doubt thanks to their producer. The lyrics make this CD soar. // 8

Overall Impression: It sounds like pretty generic metalcore, apart from the solos. Maybe I'm being too harsh, because this CD has a much higher rating from most other people than what I've given it, but it isn't the glorious return of thrash. If somebody stole it from me, I'd be irritated, but it wouldn't be a huge deal. I have a copy of it on my iTunes. If they pushed themselves to get more brutal and have more solos and breakdowns, it would have been amazing. It had more potential than what it delivered on. // 7

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: pyritmann, on august 31, 2007

Sound: As I Lay Dying's sound has grown a bit more thrash in this album than in their previous. The new sound in my opinion is a very good sound for them. Because the album has a bit of a different sound it is very refreshing and change was very good for the band. Not that their old stuff wasn't amazing, it was, their new sound just is better. The Album starts out with a intro called Separation. It is a softer musical intro lasting a short 1:15 but is a great intro going into "nothing left". It opens perfectly for this song which I believe is the best song on the album and a great pick for the first single. I noticed in this album their was much more guitar solos in this album that in previous ones which was great! One other adjustment As I lay Dying has made to their music is their backup vocalist gives a lot more vocals in this album than previous albums. The Track "I Never Wanted" has him throwing a lot vocals for the song. This is really a great track to throw in the middle of the album to switch things up a bit. While some As I Lay Dying fans may think that Tim should get most of the vocals in every song, I believe that this is a great track to throw in an intense album. The rest of the albums sound is thrash/metal/hardcore, and I fell in love with AILD's new sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are great because they tied into the music magically and were screamed with much emotion and meaning. Tim's voice is at his best in this album and no one will be disspointed in him in this album. The Vocals are the main reason I fell in love with AILD and I was not dissapointed in the least. The Lyrics are meaningfull and were not just scribbled onto a piece of paper to go with any old song. The Lyrics really work with the music and AILD's beliefs have really shined through in this album. // 8

Overall Impression: They've done it again, I have fallen in love with this album, I managed to get my hands on the album before it was released and I was not let down. Solid Metal all the way through. Most impressive songs are Nothing Left and the Sound of truth. (Being a drummer) I love the drumming more than anything in AILD but the guitar solos and vocals were also spectacular in this album. 2 or 3 of the songs sounded very much alike and that was the only problem I had with the album. but the most solid metal album I've heard in a long time. If it was stolen I would definatly buy it again cause I just love it! // 9

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: soundoftruth821, on november 17, 2007

Sound: I think that there guitarists Nick and Phil have increasing gotten better at there instruments. An Ocean Between Us features all kinds of fast rifts mixing with sweeping solos and shredding lines. The music has influenced me greatly in music. The mixing of Tims and Joshs new vocals make every chorus on the record seem like something new. Each record keeps getting better. I recently saw them in concert where they mastered their new solos without problem at all. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics almost take a different direction on this album. They take on a new world that is coming to an end. On their previous albums they discuss more personal experiences. Comfort Betrays is a new song on the album which I figured out was pointed towards their former bassist clint norris. The title of the song is pretty self explanatory. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I feel like this is the best album to come out in very long time. Some of my favorite songs from the album are an ocean between us, forsaken, bury us all, and wrath upon ourselves. If you have a chance you should check these out. What I love most about the record is that unlike some bands such as atreyu and trivium, as I lay dying stays true to their sound and they keep it going. They don't complete change their image and their sound. There was nothing really I didn't like about it. If I had lost this I would buy it in a heartbeat. // 10

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: Amalgam, on august 31, 2007

Sound: I've never been a big fan of As I Lay Dying, but, I picked up this album from a friend of mine, and decided to give it a listen. I like some metal, and I like some metalcore, and was in the mood to hear some. Overall, the album was a good try, but fallen short of what I would call a great album. As I Lay Dying uses the usual growling as I've heard from a few tracks on their older album, and throws in a few well placed guitar licks here and there. The album, while well done, was fallen short of glory. The drums were generic, although not impressive to hear. The double bass was obviously used extensively, along with the snare. However, I will admit that they have good talent and do use it on this album very well. // 8

Lyrics: The singer uses powerful growls, sometimes background voices, and actual singing through the songs. While they are fun to listen to (if you can understand them), they're (once again) very fitting in the genre, and nothing too impressive amongst them. The catchy lines were lost on this album. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this was a weak album to hear from a band my friend had said was great. And, after listening to some of their older stuff, I expected more from this band than what I received. It was a good album, but not amazingly impressive. The songs are similar to the point of it being one long train ride instead of it being an adventure in the limits of sound. The album was loud enough for the metalheads, but did not have the energy I had hoped for. If stolen/lost, I'd probably buy "Shadows Are Security" (which sounds, from the few tracks I've heard), to be a better album than this one. Fans of As I Lay Dying will like it. Newcomers will be better listening to older albums, as I should have. A good album, but not a standout album. // 7

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: Anarion614, on august 31, 2007

Sound: You've probably been reading for a long time about how As I Lay Dying is going to make a thrash metal album, and distance themselves from the metalcore scene. Still metalcore? Yes. Generic? No. In An Ocean Between Us, AILD has definitely added new sounds and styles to their songs, including a noticeably higher use of their new bassist's excellent clean vocals, leading to a more melodic and catchy feel for some songs. Instead of the standard, chug-on-the-bottom-string-for-the-entire-song metalcore riffs, the guitar work on this album is definitely more creative and metal-oriented, and at some times (such as with the instrumental, "Departed") very beautiful. This makes the album rarely monotonous or repetitive, as AILD earlier work (which I still like) often was. This album also includes many more solos that actually fit the songs, such as in "The Sound of Truth". // 9

Lyrics: Again, Tim Lambesis's lyrics are deeply personal and powerful, with themes of betrayal, faith, and forgiveness. While AILD is a Christian band, the lyrics are not overly preachy. He usually refers to their faith in more subtle ways, with lines like "And I always wonder why we're given grace we'll never deserve, and a second chance we will never earn." Actually, the lyrics are rarely just religious, and they deal with universal struggles anyone of any faith can relate to. Lambesis's growl/scream has improved even more, but a real highlight of this album is their new bassist's, Josh Gilbert, vocals. He has an excellent range, sound, and strength, while manages to do this without sounding whiny or annoying at all. Some people complained that he sang too much on the album, but I saw his vocals as an excellent addition to this band and album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definitely a huge step up from AILD's other works, and won't disappoint current fans. My favorites must be Nothing Left, An Ocean Between Us, Forsaken, The Sound of Truth, and This Is Who We Are. While all the other songs are amazing, if I had to pick the weakest track I would say Bury Us All, even though it has a very nice solo. I can't really think of any weak point in this album. The insane drumming, melodic and brutal guitars and vocals, and good song structures make this album overall an excellent buy. And just to be like every other review, I would buy this again if it were stolen. So there. // 10

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: Sandman8591, on august 31, 2007

Sound: The new As I Lay Dying album has a different sound then their previous albums, which is not bad thing at all. While there previous albums have a more hardcore feel to it, they incorporate a "thrashier" sound to An Ocean Between Us (most notable on the track 'Within Destruction') while still retaining the hardcore feel of their other albums. I definatly see the new sound of this album as an improvement. The moment I put this CD in, I was glad that I bought it. Everything on this album stuck out and proved itself quite memorable. // 10

Lyrics: As everyone knows, Tim Lambesis is an excellent screamer. The vocal lines on this album seem a bit easier to follow than in their other albums as well. The few clean vocals on this album are also quite well done. Some of the clean vocal melodies are the most memorable parts on this album. I didn't really pay much attention to the actual lyrics of the songs, though from what I did get, they sounded well written and meaningful. // 9

Overall Impression: If this CD were lost or stolen, I would absolutely buy it again (well if I hadn't already ripped it into my iTunes). A few of most memorable tracks on this album are 'Nothing Left', 'Within Destruction', 'Forsaken', and 'Wrath Upon Ourselves'. Note the thrashy sound on 'Within Destruction'. But overall, I definatly loved this CD, and am absolutely glad I bought it. // 9

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: problem?!, on august 31, 2007

Sound: As I Lay Dying went through some significant changes with their new CD "An Ocean Between Us". They lost their bassist due to personal reasons and recorded the CD with their new bassist, Josh Gilbert. Josh also sings on the record which is considerably better than Clint's previous vocals. The overall sound on this record is incredible. Jordan does an amazing job with drums on this record, as he always does. He mantains his perfect double bass action flawlessly. The stars of the this record are, without a doubt, Nick and Phil. The bring a whole new style of thrash to this record, keeping Tim Lambesis' promise to their fans, while keeping their fantastic melodic leads through the chorus'. As I Lay Dying come into this record with amazing technicality and musicianship, and prove themselves to their fans and to all the naysayers out there that they are truly on the top of their game. // 9

Lyrics: Tim Lambesis is one of the most talented vocalists in the metalcore genre. His voice takes control of the songs with his raw emotion and gripping vocals demanding your attention. Also, Tim follows through with his typical amazing lyrics. Drawing on inspiration from his faith and battles that we all face in life, to make incredible lyrics. The vocals fit well with the music, although there are some spots where you wonder what exactly is going on with Tim's vocals (sounds like there are 7 Tim's), it all ends up fitting together well. Josh Gilbert does the singing on this CD, and he does the job the best that it has been done on and AILD record. He sings on almost 50% of the CD, bringing an extreme change to the record. Overall the vocals and lyrics are near perfect on this record. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I had been anticipating this CD for almost 3 months and when I finally got it I was not disappointed. With everything from thrashy guitars, followed by blazing guitar solo after guitar solo and melodic, moody chorus', this CD has everything a fan of music should need. It is easily better than all of they're other records. If I had to name my favourite songs, they would be: Nothing Left, I Never Wanted, and This Is Who We Are. If it were stolen I would easily buy it again. // 9

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2007

Sound: first off the sound of the album. Well it is generally a lot better than the previous LPs from the band. The guitarists have improved upon their style and the singer/screamer/growler whatever you wanna call him pretty much sounds the same. The old bass player sings like the new one. They have some vocal harmonies and what not on some songs. There isn't much as far as innovation which I will go into detail later. But overall the CD itself is mixed very well. And thanks to Adam of Killswitch to producing this quality. // 9

Lyrics: Well since it's As I Lay Dying you can't really understand anything the lead vocalist says. argue with me if you will but it's damn hard to distinguish what he says. This is overall a dissappointment because I was really hoping they would improve upon this. I wouldn't say either of the singers really have much talent. granted it's hard as hell to groul like Tim lambesis does (I think that's how you spell it) I do not find it appealing nor up to par with some other groulers such as phil anselmo, The dude from opeth, or lamb of gods vocals. Hell I'd prefer alexi laihos drunken blabbering scream to this guys. but whatever fits the music. I wish I could say something about the actually lyrics but I don't see the point of reading them if I can't understand it anyway // 2

Overall Impression: Well now for the criticism. Having listened to this whole CD and heard all the others I will say that this CD has the same fault as the rest. Most the songs don't really stand out and at times feel like filler. The intro and the second track were very good and gave me high hopes for this band I lost faith in but as the CD went on I found that wasn't the case. The Guitar parts bear a strikingly high resembelence to those on the shadows are security CD. It's almost as if they took those riffs and improved them. It kind of comes off as a revision CD they just took old songs and made them the way they should have the first time. I don't think that this CD is groundbreaking in any way and having used to love this band I don't see much reason to continue listening to them. Honestly the best songs on the album were the first two. Track nine was pretty good as well. My last gripe is the drumming. Is it absolutely necessary to have double bass pounding the entire CD? It's all the same melodies over and over it's easy to loose interest when the only thing that can distinguish from the songs is the guitar because the drumming is the same and repetitive. All that being said it's the best CD that they should have released when they debuted. But overall I give it a 7 because it is an improvement but it doesn't feel like anything new from these guys. Being a fan for years I feel let down. the genre appears to be dying and I don't see much of a future for this band and many copycats like it. // 7

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: drenvital, on august 31, 2007

Sound: I personally am a huge as I lay dying fan. Since I heard the track "Withen Destruction" I was hooked and so excited to hear more new songs. Many of the songs did not disappoint. With the band now trying to break away from the metalcore territory and venture into thrash and sometimes even death metal. This album is a completly diffrent experience than any other album by them. First off musically they stepped up their game. Instead of following the double bass the band now is lead by a hail of guitar riffs that could make dime say damn. Secondly the addtion of large choruses however this is one change that doesnt't go so well. The choruses are often boring and too long. // 8

Lyrics: As I lay dyings lyrics are simply amazing. Every albums lyrics are deep and meaningful. The band is very much christian however the lyrics don't directly meantion god and can be taken in many ways. For example "if music is a mirror revealing the depths of my heart then I will write the darkest song for without forgiveness my soul." However sometimes the lyrics don't seem to make all that much sense. // 9

Overall Impression: In direct comparison this is simply not the bands strongest album. Frail words simply owns this album. However this is not to say the album doesnt't have it's strong points. Songs like "Withen Destruction", and "Bury Us All" almost make tracks like nothing left forgivable. However all that said this is still an as I lay dying album and they are trying to do something new and diffrent and I still give them mad respect for breaking away from metalcore. If this album were stolen I would buy it again. // 9

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: NWP76, on august 31, 2007

Sound: As I Lay Daying latest sets out to bring every aspect of their music together, among new things. The sound itself is clear and crips, with each instrument easily audible. Musically, "new" features include clean vocals, and guitar solos. By "new" I don't mean to say As I Lay Dying hasn't had these before, but in this album they're used way more often. AILD have achieved what a lot of bands often fail at: A fresh sound without drastically changing their music to sell more records. It's hard to explain, but there's a balance of new and old. Enough new that fans won't get bored, but enough old that fans won't feel like they're listening to a new band. // 8

Lyrics: As I Lay Dying's lyrics have alaways been passionate and personal. While it make take a few listens to comprehend Lambesis' vocals, the lyrical concept remains the same. Tim explained that the title of the album reders to peoples' expectations of us, and our own personal expectations. Thus an "ocean" lies between the two. Overall Tim's vocals are what we can expect. However if anything, they are considerably heavier and in your face. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall the album is excellent. I'm always skeptical about buying CD's when they can easily be downloaded but there are a [very] few artists CD's I will always trust to pay for, including As I Lay Dying. You will not be disappointed or regret spending the money for this CD. I honestly have no complaints about this album. I haven't listened to it enough times to pick out any favorite tracks but a few I already like are, "Sepration" even if it is just an intro it effectively prepares you for the album. It builds up your anticipation (I almost couldn't wait the 1:15 seconds it took to run.) and the second track, "Nothing Left" just sets the stage for the rest of the album, along with the title track. There are no songs that will leave you bored or feeling like the album is slowing down. Again, definitely buy this, as it's worth every penny. // 9

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: Dooger, on september 01, 2007

Sound: As I lay dying is one of the best metal/hardcore bands out there right now. Their new CD "An Ocean Between Us" is faster and a little heavier than their previous record. The Vocals have been cleaned up a bit and the new clean vocals mix well with the screaming. The songs also flow in a nice order. The brutality of this CD is not as great as it was in the previous ones either. With the exeption of some of their songs like "Within Destruction" or "Wrath Upon Ourselves". // 10

Lyrics: I personally think the lyrics on this cd are pure gold. The song "Noting Left" describes a decaying world, much like our own. As I Lay Dyings lyrics range from brutal and dark to lyrics describing hope and fate. The vocalists do better than they have ever done this time around. The screaming and singing flow very nicely together. The singing has been dumbed down a bit in some songs but in others it is as brutal and hardcore as ever. // 10

Overall Impression: So far this is my favorite album this year. It hasn't left my CD player since the day I got it. To me the most impressive songs on the album were "nothing left", "within destruction", "forsaken", and the most brutal song "Wrath upon ourselves". I love that AILD has not changed their sound or their genre, but they have changed the way they put their music together to create something new and fresh. There is nothing that I realy hate about this album, although I wish they would have replaced the instrumentals with real songs. // 9

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 27, 2007

Sound: This album is far and beyond Shadows Are Security as far as sound. They quite relying on the open palm-muted riff so damn much. Thank God. That's why SaS is their worst album by far. And they also decided to play a few more solos. It's about time, they needed to do this or they would've come close to losing a fan. There are less breakdowns. It's more of a thrashy sound at points. They are not Trivium in that regard but a better band nonetheless. Adam D is great with producton and this album sounds amazing. Once again, AILD is superior to even his own band. Killswitch should take a hint from AILD and add some solos. Anyway, this album is pretty solid all the way through. The Sound of Truth is by far the standout track. The Lead riff during the clean sung chorus is very effective. The solos are downright awesome. Josh outshines Clint very easily and AILD has never sounded better. This album is great. They have so much more potential. Hopefully they build on it and get better with each album after Shadows are Security which is terrible in comparison with Frail Words Collapse and An Ocean Between Us. // 8

Lyrics: Tim never fails to write amazing lyrics. If the lyrics had sucked on SaS, I would quit listening to it. When this band fails instrumentally, he holds them up with his thought-provoking lyrics. Nothing Left has a message that is something that not many men would be willing to write about. Overall, these lyrics are enough to intrigue and non-metal fan. Once again, Josh Gilbert is a huge upgrade at clean vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: While this album destroys Shadows Fall's latest release. It is no "The Blackening." This, however, is still an amazing Metal album and is right up there with Frail Words Collapse in comparison to their other albums. I would definitely pick this album up for Jordan's Drumming and Tim's Lyrics. The guitarists step it up as well with better guitar solos and better leads. This is worth 10-18 bucks, don't mess with it if it's over though. // 9

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2007

Sound: When I first heard about how As I Lay Dying was talking about changing their sound, I was expecting to be disappointed. I was expecting them to follow what bands like Atreyu or Trivium did and become more "rock" or "thrash" and totally get rid of anything metalcore that they used to have and just straight up sell out. But AILD didn't do such a thing. They took metalcore to a whole new level. And I can only use one word to describe it: amazing. Taking their signature sound and throwing in amazing solos, incredible drum licks, and different styles of vocals is what made this album so incredible. Metalcore bands beware, As I Lay Dying is breaking some tough grounds and they're holding no punches. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics this time around are still what you'd expect to hear from AILD but with more power and passion behind it. And the music behind the lyrics just drive it perfectly. Especially on songs like "Nothing Left," "An Ocean Between US," "Forsaken," and "I Never Wanted." // 9

Overall Impression: As I Lay Dying really stepped it up about a hundred notches with this album. Breaking new grounds in metalcore with face-melting solos, fast-picking melodies, thundering and blasting drums, brutal breakdowns, and agressive yet passionate vocals is what AILD has brought to the table. This album is definitely a classic in metalcore history. // 10

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: MassacreDeicide, on december 03, 2007

Sound: This is possibly the most technical bass drum album I have ever heard. Jordan Mancino has once again amazed me with his skill on drums. I have been a fan of his for the longest time as well as an AILD fan. Phil Sgrosso and Nick Hipa also have taken a step into different territory. New sound and all both of the talented guitarists have changed their style but not enough to piss off the fans! I was kind of disapointed to see that Clint Norris left but not too far behind him, Josh Gilbert is here to pick up where Shadows Are Security left off. Overall no matter what, the band wouldn't be whole without Tim Lambesis. I noticed that his voice and screaming pattern has changed alot, deeper and stronger than Shadows. In the end An Ocean Between Us is worth it for any metalcore fan, I am glad I took the time to get it! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are basically the same as the last onerelationship, struggles, and modern Christianity still amazing work though. The lyrics were both powerful and insightful. Tim Lambesis is an amazing vocalist, but I know that his voice will eventually give way, so we have to enjoy the music he produces until he's gone. // 7

Overall Impression: Amazing technical metal heavy shit, I loved it and I recommend it for any metal fan to hear. I would buy it again. The most impressive song to me would have to be either Sounds of Truth or Comfort Betrays. It reminds me of Lamb Of God with Ashes Of The Wake. // 10

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2008

Sound: These guys really know how to make grinding music. I saw "Nothing Left" on youtube and thought it sounded amazing. I'm a year-long Underoath fan, so when I heard how low the AILD screamer was going, I was amazed. I'll admit, I wasn't exactly in love with the band until I actually got the album, and trust me, it's worth it! If you're new to the actual real metal scene, and not just hardcore stuff, you may find the album takes a little while to get used to. I know I did. But, the clean vocals are phenominal, simply put. The screamer is brilliant, and the guitar riffs and solos were amazing! If you're really new to the metal scene, be a little shaky about getting this album, but if you're pretty much used to it, this album is definately worth it! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are part of the reason I fell in love with the band! Besides Old Underoath, I never really thought that heavier stuff could be so profound! Boy, was I wrong! If you just want to listen to good screaming, get the album, if you like very spiritual lyrics, get the album. Just go ahead and get the album! // 10

Overall Impression: I'd probably compare it to Old Underoath, maybe older Norma Jean. To me, the best songs on the album are "Nothing Left", "Within Destruction", "Forsaken", "I Never Wanted", and "the sound of Truth". I love the lyrics so much, plus the screaming and clean vocals aren't half-bad either. The guitar's own! Meh, if it were stolen, I'd just burn it from my computer, lol, or else I'd just listen to it on my mp3 Player. // 8

An Ocean Between Us Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2008

Sound: My friend reccomended this album to me. I've never had any expirience with AILD until now, so this is going off of first impressions. Before I get to the bad, I want to point out that these are talented musicians. The guitar riffs are good and the solos are an air guitarist's dream. It's certainly proven on "The Sound Of Truth" and "Departed". The problem is that the riffs rely too much on the lower notes on the guitar. I swear, they just chunk the first few frets for most of the riffs. It would probably be better if the guitar effects weren't so burbly, the production isn't top-notch. The bass is barely inaudible for most songs, and they pretty much just blastbeat their way through the album. Now, I love double bass and all, but it sounds like he replaced the bass drums with pillows. // 6

Lyrics: My main gripe about Christian rock/metal is the lyrics. Being an atheist, I don't like hearing some vocalist death growling "God is awesome." The good thing about this band is that the lyrics aren't flat-out Christian. They can be interpreted that way, but aren't what I described above. There are some really great lyrics on this album, like on "An Ocean Between Us", "Nothing Left", and "Bury Us All." There are a few not so good lyrics, like "I Never Wanted", "Forsaken", and "Within Destruction." Like the opening lines of "Forsaken," "I've looked straight into your eyes/ And turned my head for the last time" There are only a few lines like these. Now the vocals, they're okay. Tim doesn't have much vocal range aside from his monotone death growl and the ocassional scream. The death growl isn't great, but it fits the music I suppose. The new bass player's clean vocals are a nice touch, especially when paired with the growls on "I Never Wanted." // 7

Overall Impression: My friend said this was the best death metal CD he had ever heard. To me, it doesn't deserve that honor (for best death metal album ever, see Colors by Between The Buried And Me). The main problem about this is that there just isn't enough variation here. Most of the songs are 3-4 downtuned, doubled bassed, death growled mosh fests. It does start to wear a little thin into the album. The death metal ballad "I Never Wanted" breaks it up a bit. There just aren't enough memorable songs that you can remember after the first 4 or 5 listens to the CD. A band three albums into their carrer shouldn't be putting out this. I'd have to say the best songs are "Nothing Left", the title track and "I Never Wanted." Honorable mentions are "The Sound Of Truth" and "This Is Who We Are." But sadly, even the best songs on here are no "Master Of Puppets" or "White Walls" (Between The Buried And Me). It disappoints me because I was really looking forward to this. If this album was lost or stolen, I wouldn't care. // 7

More As I Lay Dying reviews rating latest review