Frail Words Collapse Review

as i lay dying: Frail Words Collapse
Released: July 1, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hardcore Punk
Frail Words Collapse carrying the stereotypical hallmarks of harmonized dual-guitar riffing, heavy double-bass drumming, and roaring vocals.
 9.2
 9.5
 8.8
Frail Words Collapse Reviewed by: NCsoloist, on may 24, 2005

Sound: First off, they are freakin awesome, the guitar licks are insane, and they are played fast enough it's kinda hard to keep up with though. They are one of the heaviest groups I have ever heard. The drummer is completely insane, apparently loves double bass sets. And the bass is great and gives a strong sense of power in it. The only thing really weird about them is that most of the song sound really similar. Other than that they are awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can't be unerstood easily when hearing it, but when you read them you find that the yare in a positive outlook. With most heavey metal bands you find demon worshipers but these guys are firm christians. That suprised me when I found that out. // 10

Overall Impression: This band surpasses almost any band you can think of. They are heavier than Slipknot, but their lyrics are as possitive as Creed's. All of the songs were just plain crazy which is what I love to find in music. There isn't anything to hate about them unless you hate the style of music that it is. I didn't buy it in the first place, my friend bout it and let me burn a copy of it. But I would buy it if I didn't have the stuff already saved on my comp. // 10

Frail Words Collapse Reviewed by: stinger167, on june 10, 2004

Sound: First off, the band just plays fast, balls-out hardcore metal the whole way through with the exception of "Song 10", the album's slower tenth track. After hearing the first song, I knew had to listen to everything they had to offer. It's just that good, in my opinion. The sound of the music is what I had been looking for in a band for a long time: quick yet simple, percussive riffing from Evan and Jasun that follows the double-bass power of Jordan's awesome drumming that can't be beat. Sure, there aren't solos like I'm used to, but it's not necessary in this all-band effort which couldn't sound better. // 10

Lyrics: Now, looking through the lyric sheet without any knowledge of what the music sounds like, some of Tim's lyrics could be misled as being somewhat emo and whiny, but accompanied by the band, his ability to scream for the most part and sing at other times gives the feeling of his words and not just the shell that seems to be in all the fake emo-punk writers who are around now. Instead of singing about how much he loves a girl or when she left him, he sings of his down-spiraling aftermath in such a way that is almost morbid. // 10

Overall Impression: Before listening to this, I mainly focused on guitar-oriented music (Metallica, Slayer) and sometimes it seemed like it could get heavier and faster but nobody was doing it to the extent that I was craving. I haven't listened to that much hardcore, but now I am completely willing to listen to any of it after "Frail Words Collapse". "94 Hours" is a required track to hear as it is a single. Same goes for "Forever". Actually the whole album has to be listened to from beginning to end. If anything happened to this CD I would get a replacement right away as it is a staple of what I listen to. If you need something to listen to while tearing down your house with your bare hands, then you'll want to give As I Lay Dying a listen. // 10

Frail Words Collapse Reviewed by: ThatWouldBeJon, on march 25, 2010

Sound: As I Lay Dying released Frail Words Collapse via Metal Blade Records in the summer of 2003. This was there debut album with Metal Blade and outlined the future sound of Metalcore and AILD as a band. And yes, with most Metalcore albums such as this one you will find repetition but none-the-less this is still a rock solid album. I personally like to refer to Frail Words Collapse and As I Lay Dying in general as being a bridge for fans to broaden there musical horizons into heavier, more technical forms and sub-forms of metal. I myself was never into anything heavier than System of a Down or Disturbed until coming upon Frail Words Collapse and its unique combination of Metal/Hardcore and Singing/Screaming that had caught my attention. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in Frail Words Collapse are at times simple in content yet still manage to hold deep meaning. Tim Lambesis, the screamer and front man of the band tends to write positive lyrics that reflect upon his Christian religion and his own life experiences. There are times in the album where it can be extremely hard to decipher exactly what the lyrics are, for example in the track 94 Hours. Even though Tim's screaming throughout the album is quite monotone, it fits perfectly well with the rest of the band and their style. Track list goes as follows. 01. 94 Hours 3:11 02. Falling Upon Deaf Ears 2:31 03. Forever 4:43 04. Collision 3:11 05. Distance Is Darkness 2:39 06. Behind Me Lies Another Fallen Soldier 3:03 07. Undefined 2:17 08. A Thousand Steps 1:46 09. The Beginning 3:29 10. Song 10 4:16 11. The Pain of Separation 2:57 12. Elegy 4:47 // 7

Overall Impression: The Overall feel of Frail Words Collapse rings out to be a pretty good one. Though sound production does surely beat there previous compilation A Long March: The First Recordings, it still doesn't quite peak until there release of Shadows Are Security in 2005. The most impressive standout tracks in my opinion are 94 Hours, Forever, Collision, Behind Me Lies Another Fallen Soldier, The Beginning, and Elegy. All in all, If your a fan of AILD or Metalcore I would highly recommend this album to you if you don't own it already. // 9

Frail Words Collapse Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2004

Sound: As I lay Dying gives the listeners of the music to experience many emtions. The music has some load screaming wich could make for a good emtion break down but also cuts into softness making your body feel relaxed at points putting your body in a state of trance right before a nice break down comes and slams you right back and brings you directly to another state of being. This music is also very inspiring and brings remarkable sounds together all together bringing upon a blow out expierience surrounding with so many emtions. // 10

Lyrics: I truley belive the lyrics on this albumn represent a little bit of everyone. The words can have many diffrent meanings that relate to everyone and expierenes or feelings that they have had the chance to feel or atleast ponder. I honestly do think that the lyrics these artists have come up with could relate and touch to any individual. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all, this cd is deffinetly one that needs to be added to the collection of amazing and mind blowing cd's there isn't a song on this cd that I did not enjoy because all in there own since had there own effect on me and taught me a little somthing but most of all these songs would make one hell of a great mosh pit. // 10

Frail Words Collapse Reviewed by: MeTalMAnIac13, on june 15, 2004

Sound: What I noticed on this album, unlike most now-a-days, is how consistant the sound and style of the music is. I first heard about AS I Lay Dying from my friends a few months ago, and I have been listening to them ever since. I think the singer has a great scream, and i like it because it's much different than most metal bands. Now that I've been listening to Frail Words COllapse for so long, I'm looking forward to a new cd. // 10

Lyrics: AS I Lay dyings lyrics are very interesting mostly because 3/4 of them you can't understand because of the loud, raspy screaming. But, this goes for most of the other music I listen to, so I don't have a problem with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I would have to say that AS I Lay Dying is without a doubt one of my favorite bands, and will probably stay one of them for a long time. I play drums, and the drummer is so incredibly good and fun to listen to, so that too makes me like them more. If theres anyone reading this who hasn't heard them, you should definitely check them out because they are truly an amazing band. // 10

More As I Lay Dying reviews rating latest review