Shadows Are Security Review

Released: Jun 14, 2005
Label: Metal Blade
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hardcore Punk, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Grindcore, Thrash
The third full-length from this California band finds vocalist Tim Lambesis and drummer Jordan Mancino the only remaining ties to the band that made 2003's Frail Words Collapse.
 Lyrics: 8.5
Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: atkm2891, on december 16, 2005

Sound: As I Lay Dying is the reason I got into speed metal/metalcore. And I think shadows are security is their best album yet. In every song the percussion is loud and the guitar is always consistent. Metalblade records did a good job recording because the sound is perfect. This is their second album with Metalblade (previously with Pluto Records) and the band has their own record label, Clockwork Recordings, that helps upcoming bands who want to get their record out. One of the songs, "Control Is Dead" is played with Zao Lead guitar, Dan Weyandt. Oh, and if you haven't noticed, if you put as I lay dying next to their album names you make a sentence, like: As I lay dying, frail words collapse. It also works with some of the songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics haven't changed much, just the same christian lyrics. Although, they talk a lot about darkness in this album. They really come up with good song and album names. They also talk about war in this album, in a negative way. Tim Lambesis has a great yelling voice and after a while you get used to it and understand everything he says, but he doesn't do the singing (not yelling), the lead guitar takes care of that. // 10

Overall Impression: It's lighter than Frail Words Collapse but is faster in a way. As I Lay Dying is pretty unique, and I can't think of any bands alike. I love every song on the album, but my favorites are: Meaning In Tragedy, Confined and Reflection. I love the speed and consistence of the songs, and I don't hate anything about it. If it were stolen/lost I would definitely buy it again, and while I'm at it buy Beneath the Encasing Ashes. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on april 10, 2006

Sound: I have no problem with the sound quality, I just hate this music in general. If the members actually had any talent and stopped screaming like thry're throwing a freakin' fit I might actually not recieve a headache when I listen to this genre of music. // 2

Lyrics: I can't understand one word they're trying to get across to you. They're "christian" even though they're playing satanic music. This whole genre of music is some of the worst stuff spawned out of modern day. If you want to hear real metal musicians who don't falsely label themselves to steer clear of bad boy reputations, listen to bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden. You can hear real music, or something close to it. // 1

Overall Impression: Overall bands like As I Lay Dying and Underoath, etc. are the worst thing t happen to music since lip synching and rap. At least those fake studio voices don't give me a friggin migraine. Hopefully my crusade to revive the classic rock sound is successful someday so people will see these bands for what they really are, fakes. // 1

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2005

Sound: First off, As I lay Dying is the best band out right now! None better. I love Phil's and Nick's work on the guitar the riffs are just too good. The solo in the truth of my perceptions fits perfectly. The rhythm guitar and bass have an amazing sound that fit every song and again like on the last album (Frail Words Collapse). Jordan's drums are too damn good. I've met AILD at Ozzfest and seen them play tons of times they are the best. // 10

Lyrics: Well again Tim Lambesis has the best scream ever and thats a fact. But yeah I don't believe in the whole death and bleeding crap he writes about real stuff and it all means something. I wish my screaming came anywhere near his if it did my band would be amazing just like AILD. And another great thing about the vocals Clint Norris! He puts the clean vocals in some songs choruses (Confined, The Darkest Nights, Through Struggle) and with Tim's screaming under it, you can't beat it its the best sound ever. // 10

Overall Impression: No, it doesn't compare its the best album released when they release the next one it's gonna have to top a lot of stuff. Shadows Are Security is by far my favorite album ever and it's so meaningful. I think that the best songs are all of them but my favorite are, Meaning In Tragedy, Losing Sight, Through Stuggle and Morning Waits. They aren't the hit songs but I think they are the best. Well I love the whole album all 43 mins of it I listen to it every day and can play all their riffs. I played this CD so much it stopped working and I had to buy it again so yes if it was stolen I would be pist because it's signed by them but I would buy it again in a heartbeat and anyone reading this should do the same. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: matt_1688, on july 20, 2005

Sound: If you can find a more brutal, migraine inducing hardcore band on the scene today, I'd love to hear it. Tims vocals are just insane, and the music backing him up doesnt fall short. The guitar riffs are insanely fast, addictive, and catchy. The rhythm guitar is very well coordinated with the lead guitar, it just meshes so perfectly. The drumming is second to none, Jordan is a genious. When I heard FWC I fell in love with these guys, they're sound is incredible. I didn't know how they would improve that with the next CD, but they did. Even better, they actually through a few more-than-decent solos into the mix. Some songs that really stood out to me were Confined, The Darkest Nights, Empty Hearts, Repeating Yesterday, and Meaning In Tragedy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics written by Tim are interesting, to say the least. They are written on an incredibly deep level, everything this guy writes comes from his heart. The lyrics in The Darkest Nights really stood out to me. The way Tim manages to write with such a positive outlook impresses me. // 10

Overall Impression: Shadows Are Security was an amazing album, no doubt. I was blown away hearing it the first time, the sound this band puts out is just about as subtle as a massive head trauma, it's incredible what they can produce. If your into hardcore/metalcore, buy this CD now, your collection just isn't complete without it. If this CD were lost, I'd buy 2 more, one for a safety deposit box, and the other for my CD player. If it were stolen, I'd hang the buttmunch who stole it by his genitals. Then go buy it again. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: Splynter3715, on december 13, 2005

Sound: Metalcore, thrashcore, hardcore, hard rock. All these describe As I Lay Dyings newest work Shadows Are Security. I was a huge fan of Frail Words Collaspe, and was a bit skeptical when I heard that they had lost their guitarist(s). But when I bought this album and stuck it in, I was completely relieved. The riffs are still just as technical and just as earthbreaking. Phil and Nick do an excellent job on the guitar duties, two thumbs way up! What would As I Lay Dying be without their drummer Jordan Mancino. Not half as good for sure. He has to be one of the best drummers on the scene right now. NOBODY competes with him in his double-kicks, simply incredible. Tim Lambesis is back holding the microphone, and still kicking serious ass while doing it. I think I can honestly say noone quite sounds like him. He just has a whole freaking lot of power in his scream. I've noticed he keeps it lower, more like a yell in this album, creates a very good effect. Clint Norris is handeling bass duty, and is doing the clean singing youll hear every once in a while on the record. The clean vocals along with the super charged guitars help keep the music emotional. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are not super good, but they do give good heart felt looks at (I think) Lambesis' love life. I heard say in an interview that the lyrics were about the ups and downs of love which I think works well with the style of metalcore theyve gone for because it almost has an emo tint to it. Tims vocals are still perfect. Hes one of the few metal vocalists to get "screaming lessons" (yes they do exist), and I think it shows. // 6

Overall Impression: I think overall its a pretty good album, I would compare it to albums like All That Remains - This Darkened Heart, Shadows Fall with less singing, or even Lamb Of God. I would have to say the most impressive songs would be Confined, The Darkest Night, and Control is Dead, which features Dan Weyandt from ZAO. If this CD were stolen Id burn off my computer. Its good, but not good enough to go spend another 17 bucks on it. I've got guitar strings to buy. // 7

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: th3_us3d, on december 19, 2005

Sound: Okay, so this album I bought because I wanted something a little different to listen to, and I'd heard 'Meaning In Tradgedy' and thought it was a great song. I put in the CD, and as I went through the songs I realised they all sound the same! Yes, ladies and gents, every song sounds just like the one before. You just kind of get tired of hearing them over and over. // 4

Lyrics: I do like the lyrics in this CD. They are quite insightful, and touch on relatable topics. The singer has a pretty good scream voice, but a little singing would help break the songs up. That may not be their style, but I would personally prefer to hear something a little different. // 8

Overall Impression: I've just heard so many better metal CDs. I really wouldn't suggest you buy it. Maybe download a couple songs, but don't buy the CD. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably go out and buy a different CD. Yes, I would not pay for this again. // 5

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: Razorhead, on july 25, 2006

Sound: As I Lay Dying's "Shadows Are Security" has one standout feature about the sound besides the actual music: it is very well mixed, engineered, and produced. It sounds very professional, but not to the point of not sounding emotional and true. Why the hell anyone would classify these people as emo completely baffles me. Their official classification is usually referred to as metalcore, but if As I Lay Dying are metalcore and In Flames are death metal, they may as well just merge the two genres, because honestly, I think that is who As I Lay Dying sound very similar to on this album. So, about the specifics of the music, where to start? Well, I suppose I could begin with the guitar. The better songs on this album have either one of these two things (or both, in some cases): Clint Norris's melodic vocals (the bassist), or melodic guitar riffs. The riffs may seem heavier than they are occasionally because they are accompanied by heavy double bass drumming (a technique in which the drummer has two bass drums and therefore achieves machine gun speed drumming), but they are often very harmonious, as in the second riff in "Losing Sight" or some of the riffs in "The Darkest Nights". The drumming is spectacular and, well, to be honest, I can't hardly hear the bass, but I'm sure it's there, and the bassist has a good voice so he is a valuable element to the band on this record. // 9

Lyrics: Tim Lambesis, the lead vocalist, has a way of referring to God without being overly preachy about it. He never directly refers to Jesus or God by name, and I wouldn't actually be able to tell he was referring to him if it weren't for the fact that when he does in the lyrics book "you" becomes "You", "your" becomes "Your", et cetera. His faith in these songs seems a lot more spiritual and personal than most Christian bands, and for that I immensely respect As I Lay Dying. Also, not all of the songs deal with faith and God, only five out of twelve on this album mention God. All of these songs do not have all that many lyrics, for one, and secondly do not follow any rhymeline. Often they do not follow the traditional verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus structure. Of course, since the majority of the songs (9 out of 12) are entirely screamed with no melodic singing, there is very little need for rhyme or structure. Lambesis has one of the best screams in all music, and over the course of As I Lay Dying's career, it has not really changed at all. He sounds just as strong as he did on the previous recordings. Norris is moderately talented as a melodic singer, especially on "The Darkest Nights", but he's not quite at the caliber of say Alexisonfire's melodic vocalist, Dallas Green or of Aaron Gillespie of Underoath. // 10

Overall Impression: Essentially, "Shadows Are Security" is an excellent death metal record, with good performances from all band members. Sure, it falls short on a few tracks, such as "Empty Hearts", which besides the guitar solo sounds not really very unique, "Control is Dead", and "Reflection". Besides that, the album is excellent. I highly recommend you purchase it if you are a fan of In Flames, At the Gates, Avenged Sevenfold, Underoath, Alexisonfire, or a shitload of other bands that I'm not going to list. // 8

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2006

Sound: I'm not too heavy into this type of music, but I do enjoy some of it, so I figured I'd give this CD a try. It was on sale for $2 at Sam Goody's going-out-of-business sale, so I figured why not? I will say that I feel I payed way too much for this CD. It is terrible. It's worse than terrible. It has the complete opposite effect of what metal should do: metal should create and inspire energy. That is the point of the fast, heavy music. This CD drained me of all energy; it made me feel weak and tired. Every song sounds exactly the same: a bunch of idiots just hitting their instruments as hard as they can. Monkeys could make this CD. // 1

Lyrics: I tried to sit down with the lyrics to figure out what message this band is trying to get across, but even with the words right in front me, I still couldn't figure out what he was saying. Perhaps he had an accent? Or perhaps he was in the middle of a violent vomitting fit and they decided to record it. Anyone can growl like this. That's why so many bands do it: screaming/growling takes no talent what'soever. These guys can't sing but want to make a bunch of money, so they say "Eh, screw it. Gimmie that mic." There's no vocal rythym, either, which is another aspect of this music that sucks the life from me. Listen to any other type of music, and there is a certain rythym to the singing that fits right in to the music. And even if it doesn't fit, they at least try. For this cd, they recorded the "lyrics" at random, then placed them into the song at random. They don't fit the song. At all. The lyrics in the insert book are actually quite good, but I guess the singer/growlerperson can't read, because what comes out of his mouth sure as hell isn't what's printed in that little book. // 1

Overall Impression: This is the worst CD I've ever heard. Every song sounds the same. It starts with the same heavy intro as the screamer/yeller lamely builds up a deep growl that says to me "I act tough and mean because my penis is small". I've read that this is a Christian band. If I were a devoted Christian, I would be ashamed to have this band associated with my faith. It wouldn't matter if this CD were lost or stolen; I've already lost it. Why keep it? This band has no talent at all. Speed is not talent. Talent, in my opinion, is creating music that is interesting, inspiring, original, and/or somewhat enjoyable to listen to, which this is not. // 1

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: shadows333, on june 22, 2005

Sound: Their sound has improved so much. They have more technical guitars and believe it or not the drummer has gotten better. The songs are pulled together and have a faster, tighter sound to them. They have stepped up there game alot since FWC. // 10

Lyrics: Once again Tim does it again. His lyrics are deep and personal but in no are they emo. His scream is more complete on this album and he sounds very good. His screams fit so well with the music. I would put him up there with the great current screamers in metal right now. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before the album is a step up from FWC and the boys really shine on this release. I can't say that I hate anything about this album every song is complete that it sounds just right for my taste. If it were stolen serious ass kicking would occurr. I recomened picking up this amazing album. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: LisTenToThriCe, on july 01, 2005

Sound: Believe it or not, As I Lay Dying has become even better. In my opinion, Frail Words Collapse was one of the best metalcore albums ever released, now it's a close second to Shadows Are Security. The drummer has the fastest double-bass kick I've ever heard in a band and has some of the most technical drumming around, and yet he's improved. The guitarists never cease to amaze me and their sound is just more complex than before. The vocals are just as crazy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, like on the previous album, are personal. He writes from the heart but it's in no way like an "emo" band. The lyrics go well with the music and all fits in to place. The vocalists have always been among my favorites and his scream is just unquestionably good. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite songs on this album are Confined, Repeating Yesterday, Through Struggle, Control Is Dead, and Illusions, I like every song however but these just stand out. I love everything about this CD, just so well done, production is excellent as well. I think any fans of AILD will not be dissappointed and any new fans will be hooked. Everyone who is a fan of this genre should buy it. If it got stolen or if I lost it I would kill whoever stole it and take it back or buy a new one. Definetly not a sophomore slump, more like a sophomore improvement. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: AvengedUNEARTH, on july 21, 2005

Sound: As I Lay Dying has definitely made the metalcore album of the year. I see why in an interview Lambesis said this wasn't a full blown "concept" album but its deifinitely a huge step up from FWC. Jordan Mancino has gotta be one of the best damm drummers around these days. From his intricate breakdowns to double bass drums sounding like a cannon assualt rifle being shot out. The guitarists will blow your ears out with fast tremolo picking and hard drives. Another noticeable thing is the longer song duration compared to FWC. Kickass Sound. // 10

Lyrics: Tim's lyrical skills have improved as well as everything else on the album. Definitely not "emo" but the lyrics are filled with personal thoughts instead of satanic plaguing or blood and skulls etc. AILD has always had their christian faith and you can find it throughout the lyrics strongly and Tim shows it proudly. Tim remains to hold on to his deep filled roars and pitch changing through verses and chorus. // 10

Overall Impression: Well along with Darkest hour's new album thia album is definitely on my top list of kickass CD's. I highly suggest picking up this album. For AILD fans who like the first album or just metalcore fans in general. I gaurantee you will not be dissapointed. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: bmanbks, on august 24, 2005

Sound: First off, the sound is incredible. I have to tip my hat to the guitarist who I believe deserve a bit more soloing time, but that's me. The drummer also deserves some credit for the awesome double bass. The way the music collides but sounds so perfect is great and not to mention mesmerizing. I doubt many people could capture the sound they put out. // 10

Lyrics: Tim, got to tell you I like the vocals on this album better than the last one. I noticed that right off, his scream was, in a way, mor deep and controlled. The lyrics he writes (as you probably already know) are deep and from the heart. I was still in question whether they were Christian or not but after reading them I knew for sure they were. The lyrics go great with the guitar and really is the icing on the cake! // 10

Overall Impression: As I Lay Dying really blow me away, so in comparison to other artist, I can't say they really compare to any others lyrically or sound wise. The geatest songs on the album really has to be (in my opinion) Confined, Meaning In Tragedy, Through The Struggle, and Truth Of My Perception. The best thing about AILD is the way everything comes together to create some the best music I have heard in awhile. If my cd were stolen, I would definitely buy it again. All in all, AILD is a must for any metal lover or maybe even some Christians looking for new music. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: Kotie, on december 19, 2005

Sound: The sound quality was very impressive. I believe Tim Lambessis (vocalist) produced this album himself, though I could be wrong. Anyways, vocals are top notch, the riffs are fast and catchy, and the drumming is like no other. The only problem I have with the sound is that a lot of the songs sound very much alike. Even then, I still love every track on this album. One of Zao's guitarists comes in on the track "Control Is Dead" as well. Also, you'll hear a remake of Illusions from their self-titled album. // 9

Lyrics: I love As I Lay Dying's lyrics. As always, they are passionate and full of meaning. Tim's vocals and lyrics complement eachother, and they always flow perfectly with the instrumentals. The lyrics are a bit different style than off FWC, but still just as good and just as meaningful. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a most excellent metal album. If you are a fan of bands like Haste The Day, Still Remains, and/or The Agony Scene, you will love this album. A must have for any metal collection. My favorite songs were Meaning In Tragedy, Confined, Empty Hearts, Darkest Nights, Reflection, Repeating Yesterday, Control Is Dead, The Truth Of My Perception, and Illusions. All very good songs, but like I mentioned earlier, most of them sound alike. But what makes them different makes them worth listening to. I would definitely buy this album again if it were stolen or lost. It is a great follow-up to "Frail Words Collapse." // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: rockerofchrist, on march 29, 2006

Sound: This band is amazing at putting the word into a type of music those who were without can enjoy. It sounds amazing, and is relatively easy to play for an experienced gutiarist. The lyrics are understandable for those who listen to hardcore music. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are amazing, the background singer blends perfectly on some of the songs in which he sings in. The lyrics go well with the music. The lyrics are great, at the beginning, I recommend you get the lyrics off the internet. Then as you hear more from the band you'll understand it better. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to other albums, it is just that great. I listen to it knowing that the lyrics are clean, and that there aren't any swears because music is highly influential in today's society. I think that Through Struggle is a great song on this album. It blends hardcore music wonderfully. I hate nothing about this band, I think that they are on the right track. If it were stolen or lost, I would go out and purchase another copy because to be without their CDs, my life would be chaos. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: mr_paprazzi, on april 13, 2006

Sound: Wow. Never heard anything better than this! Loads of effort gone into the song writing music. All the instruments and vocals work as a team to make an ultimate. Everything just seems to flow and work. The guitars sound like they are singing, and it all just fits. The recording material was brilliant. If you are a fan of metalcore, the songs on this album will make your heart stop. This sounds amazing! I would give it 11 if I could. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, they sing about how the world is and God helps. You have to look carefully to interpret the meaning of the lyrics. But they are good. The screaming style is my favourite, you will never hear someone scream like Tim Lambesis, and you always know who it is, it is such a definite sound! The lyrics and the pattern they sing them has no connection, it all goes to the music. Brilliant! // 10

Overall Impression: This album left, and still leaves me crazy. Its a crave, you just want to hear more and more. I love frail words collapse, but there is just something about this album! All the songs are amazing, best are Meaning In Tragedy, Confined, The Darkest Nights, Repeating Yesterday, Through Struggle, The Truth Of My Perception. I love everything about this album. Wow! // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: RIP Dime, on april 14, 2006

Sound: As I Lay Dying is a metalcore band, and a damn good one. OK I don't really like metalcore, because usually the talent in the bands are pretty low, but I like bands that have lots of talent and As I Lay Dying is one of them. The vocalist is great, his death metal growls, and screams is probably the best in the Metalcore scene. He makes his screams sound good with the music, witch adds alot to the sound of the band, and his screams can sometimes be so brutal that I can't help but like him. The guitarists play the usual droped-C open power chord chuggs, but the thing that makes them sound unique is the technical little riffs between the chuggin' gives depth to the guitar playing. They do have a few solos that are good and match the song, while being tehnically impressive; but I would like to solos as a common thing for them, it would really add a lot to thier music. I can't hear the bassist alot of the time because the guitars sound so low, but his clean vocals really add alot of depth in there. OK now for the big fish, the core of the band. Jordan Mancino the drummer, his drumming is amazing, probably the top of the new wave of good metal, he has skill, and great rhythm, his drumming adds so much to the band that you might actually remember the drum bits more than the riffing! Overall, great quality. The music has great elements of thrash, and death metal, witch makes for a brutal, killer, badass album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great Tim writes from his heart about his feelings, and religion, I love that every song has meaning. Tim's vocals are brutal, and very strong. He doesn't possess to much range he has a low growl, a low scream, and a kinda high scream, not bad. His tone is that of a grizzly bear, I like it. He has quite a bit of power for a screamer, probably the most I've ever heard from a screamer, witch isn't bad. Overall, very good! His lyrics can sometimes sound like he is praying to God, because he capitalizes You in the book, witch is cool, he is letting you in on his most inner feelings. // 10

Overall Impression: Firstly thier religion doesn't take away from thier music, witch means that even someone without religion, or with a different religion could listen to thier music. You might have to listen through the album a few times before really getting it, but that is only if you aren't used to hardcore music, hardcore metal fans should feel right at home. As I Lay Dying has made a great album with great riffs, drumming, singing a lyrics, and even a few catchy tunes, and few great solos. If I could change anything about this album it would be alot more guitar solos, As I Lay Dying could really benefit from it. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: IlIk2plygUItAr, on august 23, 2006

Sound: The sound is high energy metalcore. Although I don't like most metalcore, since a lot of it is generic, this one of my favorite bands. They fuse powerful guitars with fast, tight drumming for an amazing sound that makes you want to play air guitar and drums the whole time you listen to them. // 10

Lyrics: The singing on the CD is about 95% screaming. It fits the music very well, and the screamer is a very good screamer. It makes you want to scream along, even if you can't scream. When there is singing, it is very high quality, very strong, and very catchy. The lyrics are all christian, as it is a christian band. They aren't annoying at all though, and actually fit the music well, even though by just listening to the music you wouldn't be able to tell they are a christian band. // 10

Overall Impression: Shadows Are Security ranks among the top two metalcore CD's of all time, along with End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage. If you like metal chuggage and metal riffage, screaming, and super fast double bass, this CD is for you. You can't possibly sit still while listening to this CD, it's so high energy. I would recomend this CD to anyone who is into Killswitch Engage or into metal, metalcore, or hardcore in general. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: _godsmack_, on august 31, 2006

Sound: First things first. As I Lay Dying owns all your bands, unless godsmack is your band. The band sounds great on this album, great guitar work and the drummer does a great job too. Of course, you have the wonderful screaming to go along with the sound, which makes the world a better place. This is a great metal band, and the only other band I'd recommend over these guys is Lamb Of God. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually better than what you'd expect from a guy who screams every song. It seems he bases the lyrics on life situations and beliefs he has, since most of his songs are about being alone. The lyrics sound great with the songs even though the lyrics don't really match what you'd picture people who scream to loud music to sing. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my favorite album by these guys. 'Confined', 'The Darkest Nights', and 'Control is Dead' are my favorite songs off of the album, but just about every song is a good one. I like the fact that these guys can actually rock the metal sound instead of most bands who act like they can. Also like how their songs are more of a challenge to play on the bass than most other bands. // 9

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: lucky_number_13, on september 18, 2006

Sound: "Shadows Are Security" is the 3rd album from As I Lay Dying, and it has clearly evolved in sound and musicianship. Although in my opinion, "Frail Words Collapse" was there hardest sounding album, "Shadows Are Security" is high ranked in my book. From it's hardcore opener "Meaning In Tragedy", it's drum-pounding "Confined" to it's melodic "The Darkest Nights", this album is booming with a professional and mature sound, but A.I.L.D. still keeps it's metal roots alive with this CD. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics remain the same writing style A.I.L.D. has kept over the years, but they've chosen to add dark twists and turns to them. Frontman Tim Lambesis drives at each set of lyrics with ear crushing growling/screaming. For fans new to A.I.L.D., it may be hard to understand the lyrics, but you get used to it quickly and soon you may even find yourself growling along with Lambesis. Bassist Clint Norris takes care of the melodic singing, which accents the twin guitar lines very nicely. A.I.L.D. writes from the heart, and it cleary shows. // 10

Overall Impression: Some of the songs that really stand out from this album are "Confined", "The Darkest Nights", "Remembering Yesterday" and "Empty Hearts". My overall impression? It's a solid album and I would advise someone who hasn't tasted As I Lay Dying yet to start off with this album. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: terryn0, on november 17, 2006

Sound: I love the way they sound. They have very good melodys in all of there songs with plenty of breakdowns that just bring the music together. Their guitarists are always together and never miss a beat and I have to say that they have some of the craziest, fastest music around. If you don't believe me, find a live video and watch their guitarists and listen to the bass drum. I swear your mouth will drop open. // 10

Lyrics: There lyrics are extremely well though out. I'm not exactly sure how they relate to Christianity because the band is listed as christian metal. The vocals always stay on top of the music and goes well with it, and the singing is great. I'm not sure if they used a different backup singer than they did with their last album but it's a big improvement. // 9

Overall Impression: I could not compare As I Lay Dying to any other artist. When I heard the song "Confined" before the album's release, I had to pre-order it. It was so amazing that I couldn't stand to just think about how good the other songs would be. If I lost it, I would cry, and then be happy again cause I'm smart enough to make CD copys just in case that does happen. // 10

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: angels side, on march 07, 2007

Sound: As I Lay Dying's music goes together better than most bands that I know of. They're second record for Metal Blade Recoeds (Shadows Are Security) was a fanominal hit.Shadows are Security has a lot of meaning behind it. The artists were trying to portray that although you love someone that person might not know it. And that love is meaningless unless there is sacrafice involved, and if you are not willing to sacrifice yourself for that someone, than your love has no meaning behind it.Out of every band I have listened to, none can speel-bind me the way As I Lay Dying Does.You remember an As I Lay Dying song after listening to it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for Shadows Are Security have more meaning behind them than any band I know. The bands signing goes along with all the other instruments. The Singer has a way with writing lyrics and putting them into a song. My over-all impression with this bands singer is that the band would not have gone this far without him. // 7

Overall Impression: I do not think it compares to any other band, the singing sounds somewhat like Darkest Hour but other than that they do not really compare to any other band. The best songs on the album to me is track 4 (The Darkest Nights), track 6 (Reflections), track 10 (Control Is Dead) and track 11 (Morning Waits). Each has awesome guitar bass and drum riffs and they all have a lot of meaning behind them. I love how their riffs and how the songs have so much meaning behind them. If this album was stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again. // 8

Shadows Are Security Reviewed by: PrayforPlaguesx, on april 30, 2007

Sound: I'm a huge fan of metalcore and this whole style of music in general, and while this is an okay CD, it is not a great one. The recording quality is pretty good, but the musicianship is not. They're drummer is fast, but not technical. They're guitarists are boring, and play the close to the same thing in every song. Their vocalist Tim Lambesis is maybe the best part about this band. His vocals are so raw and high. // 6

Lyrics: Tim Lambesis writes a lot of insightful lyrics about struggles that he's been through, usually expressing how much God means to him in his own way, while not preaching to you about it and telling you that you must feel how he does. The lyrics don't really have any structure around the song, they just seem like they're thrown in there. // 7

Overall Impression: The song I was most impressed with was Meaning In Tragedy. I dislike how most of the songs sound the same. If you're a fan of As I Lay Dying, you'll probably like this CD. However, if you're a fan of Metalcore, and thoroughly listen to your CDs, spend you're money on something better. If this CD got stolen, I wouldn't buy it again. // 5

More As I Lay Dying reviews rating latest review