1977 Review

ash: 1977
Released: May 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Britpop, Punk-Pop, Indie Pop
It's a melting pot of pop styles, basically because the members of the band are so young, they haven't conformed to the standards of the indie and punk subcultures.
 7.7
 8.3
 7.1
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
1977 Reviewed by: Pedge, on october 08, 2004

Sound: This is the first studio album from three teenage boys from Nothern Ireland, Ash are are mix of indie and punk. After getting signed to Infectious records, they didn't disappoint. The sound in the album, to be honest, isn't the very best quality. It was recorded in 1995/96. A couple of the songs are fictional like "Girl From Mars" (A song about a relationship with an alien) and "Kung Fu" (Ash are big Jackie Chan fans), boys fanasies really. There's fast, adrenaline pumping songs such as "Lose Control" (Appeared on the first Gran Tursimo soundtrack) and "Darkside Lightside". Overall there's a good mix of songs. The vocals from Tim Wheeler to be honest arn't exactly always the best on this album, but the guitar work is decent. Tim uses a lot of Wah and other effects. The bass from Mark Hamilton isn't bad, obviously more noticable on songs where Tim hasn't layered his guitars as much, and does some cool guitar solos (nothing finger melting, exept Lose Control maybe). As for the drumming from Rick McMurray, I think it's his swift pace that give a lot of the energy the band have amazing. // 6

Lyrics: Tim did most of the writing here on 1977, with a bit of help from Rick on "Angel Interceptor" and Mark wrote "Innocent Smile." The lyrics, as I said earlier, can be quite fictional at times, but quite a great deal of the songs show Tim has got quite a soft side to him when it comes to relationships. The lyrics all fit in pretty well with the music, like I said Tim's vocals wern't top-notch but they fit with the music. I wouldn't say Tim was out of tune, but just a little weak. (his voice gets stronger on every album.) Also, there's a secret track of Tim and the guys puking into a bucket which is sick, but funny. // 8

Overall Impression: I know that Ash arn't exactly right at the top of Artists, but they're a really talented band and this early release proves that they're capable of a lot of stuff. Best songs are the forgotton classic "Lose Control", "Innocent Smile", and all five top singles that still find their way on to Ash's setlists today "Girl From Mars", "Goldfinger", Kung Fu", "Angel Interceptor" and "Oh Yeah." Still a top album today, 1977 was the best start Ash could've got. I love the energy in that the songs give off, kinda gives me a kick in a way. There's not really anything I hate about. I'd have to choice if I lost this but to buy it again. Good if you like Punk (not American cheesy punk) or Indie, or just something to make you feel young. // 8

1977 Reviewed by: squierbassist, on march 16, 2010

Sound: This album has a very raw sound. It's just loud and energetic. The guitar solos are awesome like in "Lose Control", there are a lot of distortion and wah-wah effects. Tim is an amazing guitarist, much better than most modern guitarists. The drums have that in-your-face snare sound and there are plenty of fast fills which are perfect for this kind of music. The bass stays in the background for this album but keeps a nice bottom end. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are the usual pop/punk stuff, Tim mostly sings about girls. The songs are less catchy on this album, it's better to just play this CD loud and rock out. I like Tim's voice on this album, it's very "calm" and less poppy than other albums. I like the way his voice sounds with the energetic music. // 10

Overall Impression: '1997' is my favorite album by Ash. I love the raw, energetic sound. My favorite songs are "Lose Control", "Kung Fu", and "Darkside Lightside". For some people this album might sound too bland because there isn't too much variety. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy this again because not many other bands have the same sense of energy. // 9

More Ash reviews rating latest review
+ Free All Angels 8 01/23/2006