Free All Angels Review

ash: Free All Angels
Released: Jun 25, 2002
Genre: Rock
Styles: Britpop, Punk-Pop, Alternative Pop/Rock
This is a happy kick, with big guitars and a big attack and onrushing energy, and it's no tedious retro punk record, either.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.4
 6.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Free All Angels Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2005

Sound: After Nu-Clear Sounds Ash decided to go back to there pop-punk style and came out with this absolute scorcher of an album. The music was brilliant and every single track was a masterpiece. Two fingers to those who had written them off. Recorded while they were 1000 pounds from bankrupcy it saved there careers. Having got rid of the DJ it sounded much more polished than previous albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album where absolutely astonishing. Even winning Tim Wheeler a 'Best Contemporary Song' award at the British Academy Of Composers And Songwriters 'Ivor Novello Awards' for Shining Light! His voice was finally at its peak and Charlotte Hatherleys backing vocals were brilliant. Tim proved finally that he was among the best singers/songwriters in the world. Heres a sample: You walk like your in a daze, unresponsive eyes and a distant gaze, tumbling like the leaves, yeah we were spiralling on the breeze almost to the point of no return everything must burn baby burn. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Ash's finest hour and the best album I own. All the songs (apart from 'Someday') are absolutely amazing. With 6 top 20 singles (Shining Light, Burn Baby Burn, Sometimes, Theres A Star, Candy, Walking Barefoot) and beating Janet Jackson to the number one spot it is just brilliant. Other standouts include 'Nicole' and 'World Domination'. If I lost this I would have to buy it again. // 10

Free All Angels Reviewed by: JonoB23, on january 23, 2006

Sound: I'm a big fan of Ash. Their music is different on every album yet still good. Free All Angels is abit more "poppy" then other albums but it still has the energy that Ash always provide. // 8

Lyrics: Tim Wheeler is one of the most gifted vocalists to come out of Ireland. I would say he is on a par with Bono. The lyrics fit perfectly to the music. There's a Star is a perfect example of how well they gell together. The lyrics are also innovative if not inspired. Shining Light containing all the elements of a classic pop song yet sticking to soft rock. // 9

Overall Impression: There is only one Ash album better than this one. 1977. But, to be second best to 1977 is not shameful. Far from it. The best tracks from the album are easily chosen. Shining Light, Burn Baby Burn, Sometimes and There's a Star. These four tracks are sheer brilliance. I love the quality of the vocals and the instrumentals. Only thing I dislike is that because I overplayed it when I first got it, it got less interesting. If it were stolen, I would buy it again. If I lost it, I would find it. // 9

More Ash reviews rating latest review
+ 1977 7.7 03/16/2010