Autobiography Review

ashlee simpson: Autobiography
Released: Jul 20, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Pop/Rock, Teen Pop
All in all, it's an unexpectedly strong debut from an artist who seemed destined to be a footnote to her famous older sister.
 Lyrics: 5.8
 5.7
 4.2
Autobiography Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on april 06, 2005

Sound: My God! What the hell is she doing on a guitar tabs site? The sound is of pure bubble-gum, punk-wannabe, assanine, Clear Channel Radio pop! She has no true musical talents. I feel sorry for the band that has to back her up. My sister plays s--t like that on the radio in the car all the time, and to be honest, anytime my CD player's batteries die and I have to be stuck listening to that on the whole ride, I would rather blow my brains out. No guitarist in his/her right mind would ever play her stuff. Her sound, in layman's terms, sucks! // 2

Lyrics: Her skills! What skills? If you are one of the many true music fans out there, her sales should have stopped after that SNL lip-syncing fiasco. Then she has the nerve to perform at a televised football game! Like I said, I feel sorry for her band. Her lyrics lack any sort of true emotional sense. At least some of us unknown songwriters can write a pretty damn good song by ourselves. // 2

Overall Impression: This is crap. That's capital C, capital R, capital A, capital P, crap! This the type of CD I would use for target practice with a 50 caliber. She is a hack, plain and simple. She has no right to be in the spotlight while guitar gods like Steve Vai, The Satch, and Zakk Wylde remain in only tight knit groups. So if you're reading this and have any respect for the world of music at all, trash this album! And I am through! // 2

Autobiography Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2005

Sound: There isn't much to say about Ashlee Simpson except that she is absolutely the most talentless, pathetic, worthless, 'musician' to ever walk on this planet. Ashlee simply got help from her sister to gain publicity, and eventually released the most pathetic excuse for any album, ever. She has never sang a day in her life, never will, and will still make millions. And when I say she's never sang, I'm serious! She was even caught lip synching on SNL! She got very embarassed and walked off the stage, which is what someone like her should do. You can't call her a terrible musician though, because she isnt one. Ashlee Simpson is a disgrace. // 2

Lyrics: Ashlee doesn't write her own lyrics, so I really can't comment on them. They are still pretty bad. Pretty pathetic, huh? // 2

Overall Impression: Garbage. Total crap. Never, and I mean never get yourself involved in music like this. It's simply not worth your time. Others like her to look out for include: Hilary Duff, Jojo, and any others that sound exactly them. These people are getting all the attention today, and this is ruining music. Try picking up a good Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or other good hard rock album. // 2

Autobiography Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2005

Sound: Is this supposed to be some punk/metal/emo album or what? You can tell that she tries very hard to sound "in the scene" or punk, whatever you might want to call it. But in the end, it sounds just as generic as you expect it to be. I'm sure you've heard "lala." Any self-respecting musician will recognize the chords immediately. Anyone can hold G major, a minor, blast the volume on a mesa boogie dual rectifier head, and sound good. But because her last name is Simpson and she happens to have a hot famous sister, it is supposed to be fresh and innovative. Sad. // 2

Lyrics: "You make me wanna lala" - 'nuff said. No song should contain those words ever again. And that yell, it truly is torture to the ears. She's a sad, pathetic excuse for an artist. Her lyrics are horrid and just to prove that point, here's an example: "You make me wanna lala, in the kitchen on the floor, I'll be your French maid where I meet you at the door, I'm like an alley cat, d rink the milk up I want more..." Did she just say alley cat, French maid, and lala all in the same chorus? // 2

Overall Impression: A horrible, horrible, poser album that does not know whether it wants to be punk, pop, or rock. Please do yourself a favor and do not buy this album. She has enough money. // 2

Autobiography Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2005

Sound: What is there to say? She screeches at the microphone and makes you cringe. Her band has suffered enough because of her. Especially after the SNL disaster where she blamed her drummer and then afterwards she then blamed it on acid reflux. Even after that she sang at the football game where she was booed off stage for her singing (screeching). Enough said. // 1

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't so bad as the singing (screeching). Mainly because they were written by a great person (John Shanks). Songs I really dislike in her album is just let me cry and lala. More specifically in just let me cry, the bit where she screeches about how shes a girl in a messed up world is horrible. But songs like shadow are well written. Not well sung. // 3

Overall Impression: Besides her dying her hair constantly form blonde to black and back and forth. She is just another punk rock wannabe who just doesn't seem to be able to sing. I still like her sister better mainly because she seems to be who she seems to be. Ashlee Simpson can join the many teen singers like Lindsay Lohan, Hillary Duff And Jojo. In a couple of years she be not as fmaous as she used to be. // 2

Autobiography Reviewed by: fallinsuburbia, on december 26, 2005

Sound: I wish I could rate this thing lower than 1. If I could I would give it about -128. I can't believe this is accepted as rock. I am ashamed to say that I like rock ever since she came out. But if Hilary Duff is accepted as rock, I guess anything is possible, but I digress. I won't say too much about sound except don't waste your money. // 1

Lyrics: I want to say what song cannot be a winner with lyrics like, "You make me wanna la-la in the kitchen on the floor i'll be your french maid where i meet you at the door i'm like an alley cat lickin milk up something something something you make me wanna, you make me wanna scream" if she sounds like anything she sounds like a little slut to me. The only way she is making money is by one, Being related to Jessica and by two, Having some preppy little pack of girls all," Like like like Ashlee Simpson is like so like cool and like I am like going to buy her CD so she can like get like real rich." // 1

Overall Impression: Yes it does. Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan. All three are terrible singers, all three can't really sing, and all thre are a bunch of little(excuse me while I mutter curses to myself) I am appaled that these people are making money. Even after her snafu on SNL her second CD made more than her first. They give a bad name to the face of music, even pop (excuse me for saying that I'm not sure if pop had a good name in the first place) If I even owned this CD (which I'm not planning on) I would pay you $50 just to get it out of my sight. Thank you for giving me time to rant about pointless subjects. // 1

Autobiography Reviewed by: alliecat, on august 02, 2004

Sound: First of all, Ashlee's sound can in no way be compared to her sisters. My first impression of her first single, "Pieces of Me", was that she was a pop singer for the 12 year old girls who can't handle punk but want to seem more hardcore. Whatever. The rest of "Autobiography" however, reminded me tremendously of Courtney Love. Which is good if you like Courtney. I'm not a big fan. // 6

Lyrics: A rare thing for pop singers these days, Ashlee co-writes every song on the album. She's not tremendously talented, but it still counts for something. Also, unlike the typical pop songs, they aren't all "I love you", "I hate you", "You broke my heart and now you're going to pay", blah blah blah. One song in particular, "Shadow", was about trying to find her own identity while growing up in her sisters shadow (go figure). Her singing isn't anything to brag about, but she does have a wide range for an alto singer and she uses her range in every song very well. // 8

Overall Impression: Not being a fan of pop music myself, in my opinion she is the best out there at the moment. The songs that stick out the most are "LaLa" which has a tendency to get stuck in your head really easily and "Shadow" is going to be her next single for a reason, it's a very good song. All in all, a pretty good album, not the best and not my favorite genre, but still something to talk about. After all, you can't sell 368,000 albums the first week of release and debut as the number one album on Billboard and be bad. Right? // 8

Autobiography Reviewed by: Guitar Diva, on august 24, 2004

Sound: I am now a huge fan of Ashlee Simpson. Her album is amazing. Her first single, "Pieces of Me," does not do justice to what lies in this record. Produced by my favorite (John Shanks), this album is great. The sound is more pop-py than Ashlee made herself seem on her reality show, but overall it is a good pop/rock blend. The guitars sound great, and I love the acoustic sound on the slower ballads. // 10

Lyrics: I was very impressed by Ashlee's writing skills. When I first heard that she was going to be making an album, I thought "great, another product of Hollywood who's famous by default," but I was clearly wrong. Writing with John Shanks gives her songs a semi-Michelle Branch type sound, but she definitely has her own style. I loved the fact that her songs are not all about love, being in love, or hating love. She writes about things that most people can relate to in other situations as well. As for her voice, I was impressed here as well. After hearing her sister scream the way she does (and overdoes I might add), I was expecting Ashlee to be somewhat similar. This girl knows her boundaries and doesn't attempt to cross them. She's in key, sounds great, and I love singing along to her. She's got a great range as well. In sum, she did surprise me with her singing ability. The raspy sounds usually turn me off, but she can actually make herself sound pretty too. // 10

Overall Impression: I think Ashlee should be thrown into the category with young songwriters such as Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, and Vanessa Carlton. She writes her own music, and has songs with substance. My favorite songs on this album are the upbeat "Surrender," and the guitar driven ballad, "Undiscovered." I love the sound and the fullness of the background. I dislike the 'squeaky-ness' in Ashlee's voice at certain times. I would absolutely buy this album again if it was lost or stolen. It is one that I am happy to have in my collection. // 10

Autobiography Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2004

Sound: When I first heard her debut single Pieces Of Me I know there's no stopping me buying her CD. The sound of the album is great definitely fits my taste. The album uses different sounds ranging from punk, pop, acoustic, rock and many more. The music goes with Ashlee's voice that sounds much like Courtney Love (younger version). Her voice is astonishing you can feel the emotions in her voice. This album can really make noise when you're playing it, like La La which can go straight into the disco playlist and make the whole club dancing. While Unreachable is piano played song which reminds me of Fiona Apple's music only heavier. // 10

Lyrics: just like all pop albums her lyrics contains love stories she experienced and being a sister of a famous pop star. In Shadow she tells the downside of having a famous sister. Ashlee's songs are simple yet meaningful, it can be shallow but can also be deep because everyone can relate to. She describes herself in Autobiography in a very simple way yet very heartfelt and sensitive. I also like the lyrics of Better Off and Nothing New a break-up song telling how better she is in this kind of situation. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this CD! I think everybody does. I wouldn't believe anyone telling this CD is just another untalented-popstarsister-wannabe record. Ashlee Simpson is the best artist of 2004. All 15 songs I heard then love on the album will surely be a hit. And to Ashlee Simpson her voice once again astonishing her songwriting skills were justified. With the help of John Shanks (Michelle Branch, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morissette) and John Feldman of Goldfinger (The Used) this album will be huge bigger than Confessions of Usher Absolutely. I love you Ashlee! // 10

Autobiography Reviewed by: starbomb13, on march 28, 2005

Sound: Disturbingly enough, the sound on this album was so catchy and addictive that I couldn't help loving it. It's a blend of pop/rock, with a lot of infectious guitar hooks, bass complying with the other instruments, with a relevant existence of its own, and drums adding the needed beats to the sound. Ashlee's voice is actually very well incorporated into the music. // 10

Lyrics: Being a 'sensitive' girl myself, I'm well in place with the lyrics, which Ashlee did co-write. It's a love album-songs of heartbreak and loving. Fortunately, the love lyrics aren't sappy though, as one might think-there's a sense of introspective in them, more than just about 13-year old crushes on guys in school who've probably haven't hit puberty yet, or maybe just Jesse McCartney. Singing skills, despite the SNL fiasco, Ashlee does sing live in her concerts, and she can sing. I love her voice-kinda deep and rusty/sandy without sounding like a crackhead 50-year old man. It doesn't make your ears ache like Clay Aiken or Amy Lee. Only thing is I don't really like an entire album on the same topic. // 8

Overall Impression: Nicely crafted album, I think fans of Avril Lavigne would love it, though I'd personally take Avril's albums anyday. More of a guilty pleasure, I wouldn't exactly go up to a random person and go "hey, the Ashlee Simpson album is rockin'!" I'm impressed because it's a great album for a debut, and she does have skill. Fave songs are "Autobiography" and "LaLa." I love that they're songs about heartbreak, but they're so catchy it gets you on an upbeat mode, and I like music from Transplants and Metallica but I'm falling for this album. If it were stolen, I might buy it again, though the album I'm listening to is borrowed from someone. // 10

Autobiography Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2005

Sound: She is the sister of teen pop sensation Jessica Simpson, so I should completely hate the f--k out of her. But there's something about her that makes me kind of think she's sort of okay. Ya know that kind of music that isn't the best you've heard, but you can't stop listening to? That's what it is for me. Hmm, could be subliminal messages. Bah, doubt it, a Simpson sister is a bit too dumb to think that up. As for the sound. It sounds pretty good on some of the more rock-flavoured songs, like Lala, Autobiography and Love Me For Me. I was a bit disappointed with the song Love Makes The World Go Round. All the songs I've heard like that were decent, but this one stank more than death metal talks about the apocalypse. Seriously. But I appreciate the fact that the guitars in the above mentioned songs are pretty cool. // 6

Lyrics: Since Ashlee co-wrote the album. I respect her lyrically, although some of her lyrics can get juvenile. Such as in the song Pieces Of Me, "fall sometimes I fall so fast, I can hardly catch my breath I hope it lasts." These lyrics sound like they should be coming out of a pen held by a thirteen year old teeny bopper. And that's not good for two reasons: Ashlee is nineteen and her record label is trying to portray her as a punk rock chick (do they even know what punk rock chicks are? Geeze, it seems like they don't). Overall I would have to say the lyrics are pretty awesome though, all things considered. Apart from a few juvenile lyrics, a lot of it just gives that angst-y impression that most music is doing these days. // 8

Overall Impression: Ashlee is way better than the likes of Hilary Duff and Jojo, I must say. At least she's a bit more interesting as a person, and doesn't try to act all goody-goody then try to look all bad. She just kind of is there. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. The most impressive songs on the album are "Undiscovered," "Autobiography," "Lala" and "Love Me For Me." I love that she has a unique voice, but I hate that a lot of the music is repetitive and boring, and sounds like a lot of the music from your basic carbon-copy top forty artists these days. If someone stole my CD, I wouldn't be devastated, but since I like some of the songs on it, I might buy it again. Unless they end up raising the price above twenty dollars. That's pretty much all it's worth. // 6

Autobiography Reviewed by: The_cool_one, on february 02, 2006

Sound: This CD is so awesome! I love Ashlee Simpson, she's my inspiration for playing and writing music, in fact I'm listening to "Autobiogrphy" CD right now! She has a very unique sound and her band is awesome and I can play most of her songs (thanks to Ultimate-Guitar.com). She's is my favorite actress-singer-band-person! She's awesome! // 10

Lyrics: My favorite song "Shadow" which is like my favorite song ever not just on the CD! The first time I heard the song I cried for an hor and a half 'cause I hate to think of her being in pain and having to go through life feeling that way. And I like lala too it's very upbeat and fast! Autobiography is good too. And Pieces Of Me is got really good acoustic melody's in it! Her songs just make me wanna get up and dance! She is a very pretty girl, I think I like her hair better blonde. Just like mine. I so in love with her and I ain't afraid to admit it to nobody, I would totally go up to some one I don't even know and just scream in their face "I love Ashlee Simpson! You need to buy her CD!" Mainly because that's just the kind of person I will never turn down a dare. I like to surprise people. // 10

Overall Impression: If it were stolen or lost I would not buy it again, I would just borrow it from someone and burn it (its cheaper that way). But if I didn't know anyone that had the CD (I do 'cause all my friends have it) then of course I would buy it again! // 10

More Ashlee Simpson reviews rating latest review