Stand Up And Scream Review

8.4
 8.3
 8.4
Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: Vince0707, on september 14, 2009

Sound: First of all let me say that if you are reading this, stop what you're doing and go get this album. It is a must have for anyone who considers themselves a fan of the hardcore/metalcore/screamo or the whatever you want to call it genre. This is Asking Alexandria's first full length on Sumerian Records and it is simply amazing. For this 13 track album to be the bands first efforts is nothing short of mind blowing. From the first notes in the opening track I knew I was going be a fan. The guitar tones are crystal clear, the effects are fun, and the synth/electronica add such a nice touch to the songs. They don't over use the synth parts, so don't think they are a dance/screamo band that just wants their music played at house parties. The clean vocals are very sharp and the screams have great range(There's also guest vocals from Shaun of Alesana). I've been listening to this album on repeat and can't stop. It's addicting. My first reaction was "WHOA, this is EPIC" They have such a great balance of brutal breakdowns, crowd pleasing gang vocals, and fun syth interludes. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit the music so well. Everyone has their own meaning to behind lyrics so I'm not going to bore you guys with what I think all these songs mean, since I didn't write them. But some fun lines in the album include. "Cross my heart I hope you die. Left by the roadside. Karma's a bitch, right?" "Get on your knees!" "Load up your six-shot baby put it to my head.. Pull the trigger, blank I'd figured..put it to me, dead." Obviously these lyrics fit the sound, as you all will see. Even the screams, for as heavy as they are, can be picked up on. Everyone will find themselves singing and screaming to these guys. Which is great, since the album is called "Stand Up And Scream". // 8

Overall Impression: Ok, so here is the best part to review about these guys. I think this will get a lot of you to follow Asking Alexandria and become instant fans. If someone asked me who Asking Alexandria sounded like, I would say...They sound like Attack Attack!, Miss May I, and We Came As Romans had an orgy and produced this band. Asking Alexandria incorporate all the best parts from these three bands in my opinion. Vocally they lean more towards Miss May I. While they musically sound similar to Attack Attack! and We Came As Romans. They definitely have some Devil Wears Prada sounding parts and some guitar work similar to The Word Alive. All these influences combined makes for a killer album. I can't say yet which song is my favorite since they are all so good. My advice is to crank up your speakers, hit play, and prepare to dance because it is such a fun album to rock out to. I'm expecting big things from this band. They are off to a great start. Everyone go get Asking Alexandria's new album Stand Up And Scream on Sumerian Records and get ready for your new favorite album of 2009! // 10

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 18, 2009

Sound: The last band I reviewed was Hardcore Metalphonic Sybreed, with their influences being both Metal and Electronic at the same time. Asking Alexandria have this exact same feel, the dance your ass off, bang your head till you neck breaks music that keeps the energy flowing and the rhythms in motion. The whole album flows beautifully with every beat precise and every melody created perfectly. The harmonies provided by the band are in such sync it creates a beautifully made song. Chiodos with a little more actual hardcore tones you could argue. The symphonic keyboard melodies are very dramatic and give the listener an apocalyptic type feeling. This is obviously what a hardcore fan wants to feel, and a band should do this, because it works. Asking Alexandria may look like the nowadays current Hairmetal or the long overdue emo rock band, but their music is straight hard with a kick of fun in every second. This can be seen in songs like Hey There Mr. Brooks and A Prophecy and virtually every other song. The band even adds mathcore/deathcore riffs to their songs, seen in When Everyday is the Weekend. This song shows off the entire band's skill musically, with the bassist playing the very fast riff the guitarists are playing, and drums smashing through the headphones perfectly. The synthesizers are beautifully created in this song as well, giving it a fast paced retro dance video game style along with the perfectly fit metal. // 9

Lyrics: The titles of the songs throw you off, with many bands having these silly ironic and somewhat childish names. Such as If You Can't Ride Two Horses At Once You Should Get Out Of The Circus. Luckily the singers can make up for it with nice well formed screams and a decent sense of singing. It is only decent because this type of singing has been done before way too much. It works well with the music which creates a better sense of music then a sense of singing/screaming. The problem is so many bands do this high pitched singing with the screaming, such as All That Remains, Chiodos, Every Time I Die, Bring Me The Horizon, Hit The Lights, and an externally never ending list that it is getting old. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall the debut album of Asking Alexandria seems to be a smash hit for anyone wanting to see more of the already old and generic sing/scream music. The band has a sweet sense of actually music; it just seems old and faded nowadays. This band has great talent and a high potential of being another big band in the music scene. Stand Up and Scream is a relaxing album to lay back and drink too, with great music potential for any king of music fan. // 7

- Sean Michael Gonzalez (c) 2009

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: dhansen90, on april 16, 2010

Sound: Well, let me start by saying that there is absolutely nothing new to be found here. Nothing. At all. The music is horribly generic and leaves you feeling empty with ripped-off riffs and breakdowns everywhere. There are some fresh breakdowns to be found but if you're anything like me, sick of open d "odd time" chugs then they wount impress you either. The riffs are reminiscent of old as I lay dying with chug-note-chug staccato and boring to say the least. I hate that this band thinks 0-5-0-7-0-8 still works and hell I probably just tabbed a part of one of their songs. Hahaha. Might be better if they used more than two strings for the majority of their songs. Actually, I'm being nice. The guitar flat out sucks for a 2009 hardcore album. Synth is catchy in some parts. I would like it more if they actually had a synth player. A producer more than likely composed these parts. Chiodos inspired dance beats throw the pace off. The drumming is fantastic though. Not anything too different but keeps pace and carries the generic riffs very well. It is however mixed and produced very well. If I were you, I'd pick up with roots above and branches below or constellations first. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are those of a pmsing twelve year old throwing a fit and sound like it in some parts. Not creative and not good with gems like, "karmas a bitch, right?" The growls are good but throw the pace off a bit as they sound like emmure or something similar. His scream is refined and tasteful but not all the time because it sounds like a barking dog at some points. Chanting can be found, but again nothing new. The clean singing is... Not very good but not terrible. At least he keeps key well but that's not too hard because the only scale hell ever need to practice is d minor. Like every other band in the post hardcore genre. // 4

Overall Impression: There are better bands but if you're between the ages of 12-16 this might be the best damn thing you ever heard. Tdwp is better, abr is better, and attack attack is in the same boat with these guys. The s.s. Ahhhh, were sinking. Alerion is probably the best song on the album which is very sad because its the intro. I don't love anything about this album or the stagnate post hardcore genre. I think this album will be forgotten in 2 years and tossed in the trash along with someday came suddenly and anything by a skylit drive. If someone stole this album from me I'd hunt them down and shake their hand and pray to god they hate it as much as I do. // 5

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: Joker-82, on april 07, 2011

Sound: This is a proper metalcore album, I enjoy every son of it, the screams are jsut awesome and the power of the instruments blows your mind, if you don't know what metalcore is, just listen to AA, they are the best example, and they also use keys to relax the atmosphere and then they bring back their energy. Just great. Songs, one by one. 01. Alerion: This is the intro, basically a big breakdown with some screams, to get ready for te rest....(4) 02. Final Episode (Let's Change The Channel): Just awesome, the Oh my God bit gets stuck in your head and makes you headbang, I also love the verses where the singer changes from screaming to singing really quickly, then the clean chorus makess you dance. (5) 03. A Candlelit Dinner With Inamorta: this chorus is probably the catchies one, and the techno part is ass well pretty cool, I especially love the intro. (4.5) 04. Nobody Dance No More: I love this song, it has the best breakdown, this one is probably the darkest one, one of my favourites. (5) 05. Hey There Mr.Brooks: This one is allright, the clean vocals are from Shawn Milke from Alesana, who is a really good singer, anyway, a just right metalcore song (3.5) 06. Hiatus: Interlude, I really didn't like this because is wauy too techno for me. (2) 07. If You Can't Ride Two Horses At Once...You Should Get Out Of The Circus: Awesome one again, this brings back the energy after the Hiatus, (5) 08. A Single Moment Of Sincerity: hell yeah, this is one of the songs you want your ipod to play while in random mode. I love the line (this is my last request to you, hold my breath) (5) 09. Not The American Average: I think this one is my favourite, the clean vocals at the beggining are just awesome, and the clean piano part as well, a highlight of this song is the last breakdown, is sooo slow you will want to marry it (5) 10. I Used To Have A Best Friend (But Then He Gave Me An STD): Again, I don't know what bad things I can say about this one, just perfect, AA did it again. (5) 11. A Procephy: really good song, mayybe too repetitive at certain parts. (4) 12. I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps A Cowboy King: Again an allright song, lots of techno at the end (4.5) 13. When Everyday's The Weekend: This one is not as good as the rest, it doesn't end the album really well, anyway, still AA (3.5) // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are maybe too dark at certain points but they are all very catchy and after a week you will sing along all of the songs. The screamings in this album are awesome, disturbing lows and ear-perforing highs, and the clean vocals are as well really good. // 9

Overall Impression: Just an awesome metalcore album, with some disco-like techno and great guitars, I just miss some solos but its ok, if you want to listen to proper music, just get this CD and discover Asking Alexandria. // 10

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: The_Kempahh, on march 26, 2010

Sound: Emmure said it best with "Sound Wave Superior," though lacked to fill the shoes. Soncially, this is the greatest album on the face of the planet. "Stand Up and Scream" is simply put as Joey Sturgis's masterpiece. It provides punnishing breakdowns, flawless brutality, beautiful melodies, insane vocal ability, and sheer intensity by every part of the band. Songs like "A Candlelit Dinner.." and "Not the Average American" will have you jump right into the vocals, while songs like "A Single Moment.." and "Nobody Don't Dance.." have the vocals jump out at you. "I Was Once...a Cowboy King" stands out with it's brutal finnish and "The Final Episode..." keeps punching you in the face with Danny's favorite phrase. No album is complete without an epic. To further confirm that theory, "Stand Up and Scream" provides plenty of them. Songs like "If You Can't Ride Two Horses.." and "A Prophecy" never let go of your attention. An album of epic proportions deserves a grand finale. "When Everyday's the Week End" is the dark before the dawn. A perfect end to an amazing album. All in all, this album is a "must buy" and will defifnitely be on your playlist for a very long time. You will become an instant fan. // 10

Lyrics: While I have heard better lyrics, the way they are crafted is very well done. Each song provides a certain line that sticks with you, which then becomes your song identifier. "Scars don't heal when you keep cutting.." "I was meant to make you smile.." "You never said goodbye.." "I knew when I first saw you, you'd f*** like a wh*re.." The actual lyrics are pretty much taken over by the way they are sung. Danny Worsnop is one hell of a vocalist and deserves props and respect. Very well done, sir. // 9

Overall Impression: For years, I've had my number one favorite album of all time: Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses by Slipknot. "Stand Up and Scream" is the greatest album I've ever heard and has now become my number one all time favorite. I'm a hardcore musician myself, and I nearly gave up doing it because I knew I would never be as good as they guys. Buy this album and tell all your friends about it. I'm pretty sure they will like it, too.. // 10

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: ForgotForgive, on november 25, 2010

Sound: This is Asking Alexandrias first full-length album. In this album most of the songs I found were really really repetetive and generic but I actually happened to like the album. It has some trance-techno bits in there songs which I thought really sounded cool and fitted in with the musci but yeah like I mentiones before the album was extremely generic. Probably one of the most generic albums I've heard. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics werent too bad in my opinion because they fitted in with the musci and the lyrics werent unmeaningful in anyway or anything like that. But to some people I know will complain that these are just lame lyrics about girls and stuff and its not hardcore write about girls but honestly people can do whatever they want in terms of lyrics. The screaming is f--king awesome. Its very good and the singing is alright as well but not good. // 7

Overall Impression: Some of the most impressive songs on the album were : Final Episode Alerion If you cant ride two horses at once A prophecy I used to have a best friend What I love about the album is the screaming and the trance in the songs and what I hate about it is the repetitiveness of the musci and guitars. Because every song is breakdown after breakdown. If this album was lost or stolen from me I would probably buy it again because some of the songs are really good. // 8

Stand Up And Scream Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2010

Sound: First of all, they're sound is amazing, greater than any that I've ever heard. Some people say "I hate hardcore music because I have no idea what they are saying.", so they just let the genre of music die. Asking Alexandria is a great mix of today's new and irritable "techno beats" that resemble that from the 80's, and the scene/emo genre that kids nowadays love. Stand Up and Scream is an album that virtually anybody can enjoy at least a little, and the singing really brings up the tempo. Overall, Asking Alexandria's debut full-length album has a sound that will forever be remembered as one of the greatest hardcore album that this generation of music has to offer. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are breathtaking. Although some words like "whore" are used very commonly on a few tracks of this album, they make good use of the repitition, mixing up the words with melodic singing that an angel would envy and growling that not even Hades would be able to comprehend. In the beginning of the track "A Prophecy" it reads: "How stubborn are the scars that never fade away? Or just a gentle reminder that now are better days?" This is growled, and than it immediately goes into clean vocals: "We'll be home soon so dry your eyes." It is an amazing combination of the two styles of vocals, and I see it being very successful. Some of the lyrics are ironic, and even some of them being humorous, an example being the title "I Used To Have A Best Friend (But He Gave Me An STD)". There are also references to other media, such as the track "Hey There Mr. Brooks" and all of its lyrics. Overall, the lyrics and vocals of this album were something that I myself would take a bullet or two to save. // 9

Overall Impression: Stand Up and Scream by Asking Alexandria tops any other album and band that I have personally heard, being number one with my favorite five bands: "Bring Me The Horizon", "As Blood Runs Black", "Blessthefall", and "Escape the Fate". They recently revealed that a new album was in the making, one that I believe will show that Stand Up and Scream was not just one of the lucky hits of the hit and miss system that exists these days in music. This band is like a comet, it only comes around every so many years, and Asking Alexandria was well worth the wait. I hope the rest of you follow what I'm saying, and support Asking Alexandria with the making of a second studio album. Congradulations, Asking Alexandria, and good luck pummeling through the music bussiness. // 10

More Asking Alexandria reviews rating latest review