Acrobatic Tenement Review

Label: Flipside
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Acrobatic Tenement Reviewed by: Ir a+infinitive, on august 25, 2010

Sound: At the Drive-In has a very unique sound, utilizing the tension/release technique in almost every song. Their sound could be described as Alternative/Grunge/Post-Hardcore. Most people call them Post-Hardcore but in my opinion they sound more Grunge than anything. Acrobatic Tenement was their first full length album, and also Omar Rodriguez Lopez played bass on this album, after the release of this album he becomes the lead guitar player. "Ebroglio" was written about Julio Venegas, a close friend of the band, who committed suicide in 1996. Acrobatic Tenement didn't have any impact on mainstream media but set At the Drive-In on track for underground success, as for music innovations I would say that the "cannon" style of Vocals/Backing Vocals would be somewhat innovative for this type of music, courtesy of Jim Ward and Cedric Bixler. // 8

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics are heavily metaphorical, but flow very well with the music. Cedric's singing skills are very unique and fit the sound perfectly. Cedric's vocals are unparalleled and have a very unique sound to them. And eventually helped to earn the title of "The next Nirvana" before breaking up. // 9

Overall Impression: This album stands out on its own, its just very unique and doesn't sound like anyone else. the most impressive song's to me were "Ticklish" and "Initiation". I love that this album didn't go mainstream and that the band stayed very true to their original sound throughout their career. If it were stolen I would kill someone. // 10

More At The Drive-in reviews rating latest review