Slaughter Of The Soul Review

at the gates: Slaughter Of The Soul
Released: Nov 14, 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
While Slaughter may not be the best album of its kind, it's definitely better than most, with its own character.
 9.2
 9.4
Slaughter Of The Soul Reviewed by: Candlemass, on february 20, 2006

Sound: Wow the sound of this song is just great! The vocals were a little etchy but, one you get used to them, it just goes with the killer riffs. The guitarists in this band blend well together and work with alot of power chords. The main song I enjoyed was Cold. Its killer intro left me in amazement. Great drummer too. And I can never hear the bass but when I do it's awesome. And the vocals are ok but other than that great sound. // 9

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics is that they are pretty much destined for hell! Great lyrics though. Very doomy and death related. I love the harmony between the lyrics and the music. When he's singing about killing you want to kill. When he is singing about doing you want to die and so on. Singer skills? Not that great but fits the music. // 7

Overall Impression: At The Gates stands alone when it comes to '90s metal bands. I'll give you the three most impressive songs: Cold, Sluaghter Of The Soul, Scuicide Nation. Great songs. I love the guitars and the drums beats. I dislike the singer but you can cope with him. If it was stolen I would kill the guy and get it back, but if I lost it I would definitly buy it again. // 10

Slaughter Of The Soul Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2005

Sound: This ablum is great and you can't expect anything less from one of the pioneers of the gothenburg melodic death metal sound. The vocals are intense and well done, The guitar parts are melodic and agressive, The drumming is good though it does get repetitive, and the Bass playing also is quite good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are not bad but to be honest I normally don't pay attention to the lyrics all to much. I do pay attention however to the singer skills. The singer for At The Gates delievers a lot of anger and agression over the great guitar riffs and seems to be very enthusiastic when it comes to the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This has to be one of my favorite albums ever, I know everyone says that it's over rated but to me it's just very well done and the band is talented. I wish At The Gates didn't break up because they good have made somemore very good ablums but we still have the haunted! This is a great album and if were lost or stolen I would buy it again(obviously) I recommend it to anyone who doesn't have it already. // 10

Slaughter Of The Soul Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2006

Sound: Lightning-fast is a great word. I like it. And it describes this album very good, cause "Slaughter Of The Soul" barely gives you time to breath. From the amazing opener "Blinded By Fear" it kicks off and sort of never stops. But, the thing that makes this album so special is the fact that the Bjrler-brothers manage to mix these blistering thrash-riffs with melodies, melodies that go straight into your heart. People call this album the founder of Melodic Death Metal, and I could not agree more! // 10

Lyrics: It's I sad, but I'm having a hard time getting used to Tomas Lindbergs voice. I find it a bit to "screamy", would prefer a darker growl. But on the other hand, his voice fits the music well, so I guess it works after all. Lyrics are kind of basic, nothing more to add there. // 7

Overall Impression: I love this album, and if you haven't checked it out yet you should do so now! I'm not gonna tell you which songs I like, since I would end up listing the whole album for you, except "Need", that doesn't quite fit with the rest of the songs. However, top 3 are "Slaughter Of The Soul", "Blinded By Fear" and "Suicide Nation". If you like death metal or thrash, or any kind of metal, you have to get this one. // 9

Slaughter Of The Soul Reviewed by: pHaKe, on september 21, 2006

Sound: Let me start this off by saying this is by far my favorite death metal album of all time. Anders Bjurler has some insane guitar riffs, which are in a crushingly heavy standard B (B E A D F# B) tuning, and use a trashingly heavy distortion. His songs flow together, from the tremolo picked intro of "Under A Serpent Sun" to the melodic title track, "Slaughter Of The Soul". This CD was released in 1995, I was 4 years old. I knew nothing of this band until I was introduced to death metal just in these past few years. It's amazingly ahead of it's time music wise, which is why it is noted as one of the most influential death metal CDs ever. I have the extended version, which has a few demo's of songs, and some cover songs. // 10

Lyrics: Thomas Lindberg has my all-time favorite screams on this CD. They blend perfectly with the crushing guitar riffs, and the overall intensity of the band. The lyrics of the songs aren't meaningless jumble either, Lindberg shows off his talent and makes some great songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, this album redefined death metal, and was one of the most influential CDs of the '90s. My personal favorites are: Blinded By Fear, Slaughter Of The Soul, Under A Serpent Sun, and Into The Dead Sky, even though all of the songs are top notch. 9 crushing tracks, and two instrumentals (the bonus features are a cover of Slaughterlod's "Legion", an origonal "The Dying", A Slayer cover "Captor Of Sin", the 95 demo versions of "Unto Others" and "Suicide Nation" and a cover of No Security's "Blister Verklighet") make for one of the best CDs ever made. A Must have for any metal fan. // 10

More At The Gates reviews rating latest review