A Death-Grip On Yesterday Review

atreyu: A Death-Grip On Yesterday
Release Date: Mar 28, 2006
Label: Victory
Genres: Punk Metal, Alternative Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
Atreyu fit perfectly into the modern-day metal landscape, but there's a multitude of other bands sharing the metallic sound heard on A Death-Grip on Yesterday.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.7
 8.8
 8.5
A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: KoRn dude, on april 03, 2006

Sound: Atreyu openly said that this album was going to be purely their own style, edging away from their original music. But they havent gone too far from it, which is infact a good thing. Their incline to their original albums still shown in songs like "Your Private War" But a much mellower side is shown in songs such as "The Theft." I can not find many faults with this album at all. The only thing is, is that all of the tracks are great, exept some of the songs which truely stand out above the rest. This sometimes means that the other, perfectly good songs, are in shadow. But its a great album either way. // 10

Lyrics: Well its the same as before on most tracks, which is awesome if your a fan of atreyu. What truly brings out the lyrics on this album is once again these original songs to the Atreyu palet. These softer, almost the good kind of Emo, lyrics they show really hold their own. For those of you that havnt heard the album, these songs are amazing. Dan, Travis, Marc and Brandon have all done a great job putting the music together, and the lyrics and music complement eachother perfectly. Fans of the EP's such as Fractures In The Facade might not be impressed here but otherwise its an awesome album, even great for new fans of the band. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm really stuck with what rating to give this, it is an awesome album. I don't believe their are many albums it compares to, others may disagree with me but its many varying genres in one album makes it hard to sum-up. I would have to say their are four key songs on this album, and they are: Creature, The Theft, Ex's And Oh's, My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back). But the real proof is in the fact that these songs I was so sure were the best ones, but when I came to right them down I was argueing with myself as to whether these was the best ones. Every song is awesome in its own rights, I thing the reason some might be seen as better than others is because it depends on your mood at the time. If it was stolen/lost, or even if the booklet inside got a tiny rip on it I would replace it, I can see this album being the center of my collection for a long time. I am going to give it ten, you can choose to agree or disagree. // 10

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: trox, on april 03, 2006

Sound: The sound of this CD was unbelieveable. It was something new, but it was something that everyone that could rock out to. There is only 9 songs on the CD, but it is awesome. I'm not sure, but I think it tells a story about a guy who goes through a struggle with his girlfriend. There is a lot of relly cool guitar riffs throughout the CD which are cool to listen to. // 9

Lyrics: Overall impresiion of lyrics, awesome. The lyrics were just amazing. I felt like I could relate to every song. The music mixed with the lyrics were very, very powerful. Some of the lyrics are screamo, most is just singing, so it keeps every song different and it keeps you interested in the songs. The singer skills were perfect. Each song is sang with its own harmony and it matches the music perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This beats all of thier other albums by far. This album is mind blowing. I'm sure that there is at least one song on the album that you could relate to if anything. The most impressive songs on the album are The Theft and Creature. I liked these songs the most because I felt they had the biggest message and they also had awesome music to go along with it. I think the only thing that I would change about this CD is the track lengths. Every song is almost exactly 3 minutes and 30 seconds long. Some short songs and some really long songs wouls be cool, but besides that, the CD rocks! If you have $10, go buy it! This CD is totally awesome. If you don't have $10, find it, and buy the CD. Tell me what you think about the CD. // 9

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: INNOCENT VICTIM, on april 03, 2006

Sound: Atreyu is a metal band. I would compare them to Bullet For My Valentine. They aren't emo. Some of they're songs are almost all screaming (not they're best work). Most song have heavy riffs and only a couple songs have solos (but when you here um you'll be blown away). But they don't sound like any other band out there except for B4MV. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are literate but some don't make sense. Sometimes you can't understand them 'cause of the screaming! No song really tellz a story but they are ok. As some of you know this band has 2 singers Alex sings all the heavy stuff while Marc is mellowed out. But they're both good in there own way. // 8

Overall Impression: Just looking at the album cover makes you wanna say WTF! But after listening to this it leaves you witha taste of Bullet For My Valentine in your ears! But they do not dissapoint with this album! The best songs are Ex's And Oh'S, Shameful, Our Sick Story, We Stand Up, and Untitled Finale. The music does not disspoint! If this was lost I would not sleep, eat, walk, drive, or breathe until it was replaced (because I can't stop listening to Ex's And Oh's). // 9

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: tushmeister, on april 04, 2006

Sound: The band are amazing, and I really do enjoy they're music as something seems to make them different slightly, and when I got this CD I gave it a few listens and I definitely hear that same sound, except slightly more varied, definitely a good quality. However I do feel that 'The Curse' is a better album and I reckon 'A Deathgrip On Yesterday' is too short, at only 31 minutes it is over pretty quick and this means that each of the songs are also relatively short. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are mostly OK, however some of them struck me as unimaginitive and particularly 'you cause my liver to turn to dust' (or something like that, in Ex's And Oh's I think) seemed to sound pathetic to me, however it is OK overall. The singing is fine except some of the vocals, particularly in the last song, with the 'gang' vocals, a few voices singing/chanting/ooo-ing in harmony, sounded pretty bad to me, maybe it will grow on me with further listens. // 7

Overall Impression: I believe this isnt as good as previous albums by Atreyu, however it is a good album and is worth at least a listen if not a buy! I think it comes down to personal taste, it is'nt easy to love or easy to hate, it's all down to experiencing it first! I doubt I would replace it if I lost it sadly, I hope it grows on me in the following weeks! // 8

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: UnDarkGuitar, on april 04, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is quite a bit diffrent from their 2004 release "The Curse." In this CD there is a lot more soloing going on. However, just because there are many solos does not mean that they are good. Pretty much it is just a step up from "Visions," and a step below "Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses." // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics deal with heartbreaks and suicide as usual. Ex's And Oh's talks about drinking to get away from your problems. My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back) talks about backstab. Nothing too creative. The singing however is an upgrade. Instead of pure growling, Alex is starting to sing more (Ex's And Oh's) // 5

Overall Impression: Basically, I was dissappointed. I was kind of expecting another cross between "Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses" and "The Curse." "The Creature" was a pretty good track 'till it got to the singing part in the chorus, then it was murdered. If it were stolen, I wouldn't care. // 4

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: boyan89, on april 10, 2006

Sound: The sound on this CD is more heavier than Atreyus earlier stuff (I think or is it). There is way less screaming in this album so Alex kind of shows his soft side in this album if you hear The Theft you would understand what I mean. Theire is definetely more guitar riffs and better guitar playing than what I've heard but nothing can compare to Right Side of The Bed. It's got better solos this album. So yah and oh yah way more bass and better drums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were amazing on this album. I think the best fact about Atreyu song is that alex sings the chorus's and the Alex sings the verses and crap. I think its the best combo ever I mean Brandon's softness to Alexs screaming. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs on this album would have to be Creature, Shameful, Our Sick Story (this far), The Theft, Ex's And Oh's, Your Private War and Untitled Finile. I love the fact that their is more heavier stuff in this like guitar solos, more bass and yah. I dont hate anything bout this album is friggin amazing. If it were stolen I would buy it again or hunt doown the person and beat them up for it. // 10

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2006

Sound: Atreyu's new CD is great. It's got pretty good guitar (not like drop of the jaw good but pretty darn good). They still have the same "sound." What I mean is the guitar has the same tone and the vocals have the same sound if you will. Now don't think this album is anything like the curse because its not but you can tell it's Atreyu. If you enjoy that modern "metal" and classic "metal" then this CD is probably going to please you. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are simply amazing! The lyrics themselves are soo deep. The way that Alex and Brandon sing, they make the lyrics stand out. And as always, the lyrics go perfect with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: Since I have only heard a few songs off of their first album, I can t say whether this CD is better than it. Although this CD is great, I think that the curse is better. I absolutley adore (that was gay but whatever) the lyrics on this album and some of the guitar work. Although not extreme, Dan and Travis know when a solo fits and are great riff writers. I don't think there is an aspect of this album that I hate. And if I lost this CD I would definatly buy it again. // 9

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: estar_muerto, on april 10, 2006

Sound: Atreyu never seems to stop surprising me. Their fist album, Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses, was good enough for me to say I enjoyed the band. The second installment, The Curse, blew me away. I could see how they only got better with their instruments, the lyrical content flowed extrememly well with me. Now, this album, A Death-Grip on Yesterday, just completely stops me in my tracks. It's simply amazing. The utilization of so many more guitar techniques, and the mixing of the sound in general, is just amazing. I don't think they could get any better than this, but I wouldn't make that assumption a final because they are continually perfecting their sound and everything it's about. My only, slightly negative comment about this entire album, is that it seems to be, a tad bit less heavy than the last. This decline in heaviness isn't something for me to rant about, because, they pulled it off so well. // 9

Lyrics: Lyric wise, this album was all about past relationships and bad break ups which, I more than just relate to. It pretty much hit me where it needed to. Only to make me think, "That is exactly how I felt!" Some of the words in the songs, are just so deep, that if you have experience the described feeling or situation, you immediatly know what they mean. If you haven't experienced it, you might have a tad bit of trouble picking through the meanings, not much of a problem though. Atreyu has really hit the spot with the way these songs are worded. // 10

Overall Impression: Every since the day I bought this CD, I've had every song from the album on my playlist. I live off of music, I play it, I breathe it, so I'm constantly blasting it all day. In the past week, I've ran through this album somewhere around 15 times, that's more than twice a day and it's hasn't gotten old the least bit. Atreyu has given me a new reason to respect them as the great and fantastic musicians that they are. // 10

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2006

Sound: Atreyu has always been a personal favorite of mine, especailly since their EP album, fractures in teh facades of your porcelain beauty was released, they have a very unique style of their combination of lyrics and riffs, their melodic guitars correspond perfectly with the beating of the double kicker. And when I heard this new CD, I listened to it 9 times in the first night because I was so blown away. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this ablum were especially mezmerizing they left powerful messages in their songs with words like, "Here's to burying hatchets with those youve never called your friends, well start the new day witht the death of an old one," to me that truly just tells about alll the abuse theyve taken over the years, and it perfectly fits with the whole CD, way to go guys! // 10

Overall Impression: By far the best metalcore album I've herard in years! I was very impressed with the curse, but when A Death-Grip On Yesterday came out, it opened up a whole new music genre! what that genre is? I don't know, but it is definetly one to not be forgotten! If this CD was stolen, I would buy the album even before it got stolen, Atreyu never ceizes to amaze me, and I'm sure they will continue to do so! // 10

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: metalhead999, on april 12, 2006

Sound: Atreyu have definately achieved a new sound on Death Grip. Whether it's better or worse than their previous albums I can't decide, but it's different, and I, personally, love it. Guitar riffs are creative and upbeat, a mettallic sort of heaviness. The solo in 'My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back), is personally one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard. The drumming is perfect, and crushes the shit out of you. Prominent bass that accentuates the guitars. The sound is fast, heavy, melodic, and full of life. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are uncreative for the most part, yet catchy. They do have a style and charisma that sort of grows on you, and fit the music like a glove. Alex's scream is heavy as the music he spews in you're face, which is heavy. Brandon's singing is hauntingly beautiful, and mixes in perfectly with Alex. // 7

Overall Impression: This is currently my favorite album; I love it. If you like Atreyu's other albums, you will not be dissapointed. The only drawback for me is the fact that most of the real heaviness is only in the last 3 songs. It's more melodic than their other two albums. I would've asked for a heavier album, but it still rocks. My favorite songs are Shameful, Ex's And Ohs, and My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back). My least favorite part of the album are the 3 songs between Shameful And Ex's And Oh's because although the songs are good, they are in my opinion the three weakest songs on the album. If it were lost or stolen, I would definately replace it. // 8

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2006

Sound: This album was a huge step up for Atreyu. It was alot heavier and lighter. The first song,"Creature" is a great opening song for a metal album. The song "The Theft" shows their maturity in terms of talent and taste. It is not so cliche like their first album. The album takes 180 degree turns allthe time. All in all it is just a great album. // 10

Lyrics: If you are farmiliar with Atreyu, you know Alex and the way he writes, Dark and Deep. This album features a lot of Brandon's writing which is more of an immature writing style, you can tell exactly what he is talking about. His writing skill is great, but I have become so used to the way Alex writes, "Live, Love, Burn, Die" Alex is also featured singing on this album. I find it so different but it opens up so many doors. // 8

Overall Impression: Right now, "Death-Grip on Yesterday" is my favorite Album. I gor it the week it came out and it hasn't left my CD player since. The songs "My Fork In The Road...", "The Theft", and "Untitled Finale" are the most impressive to me. This is their best album. There is not one thing I do not like about it. If I had it stolen, I would buy it that day. Period. // 10

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: teenguitargod, on july 10, 2006

Sound: In my opinion, Atreyu is one of the best bands in the world. With crushing guitar riffs and outstanding vocals, there are few bands that can compete. They are mainly a heavy metal group and they are probably the only band I have ever heard that has the drummer singing the melodies of the songs. They do this more in this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the band have meanings, whether it's just about meeting a girl at a bar for the second time (Ex's And Oh's), or about decisions and betrayal (My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back)), they always get a clear message across. Different sounds and styles of music call for lyrics that comply, right? Atreyu nails it perfectly with all of the songs. The screamer is amazing, and not a half bad singer either. But when the occasion calls for it, the drummer steps in with his great singind voice to do the melodies or chorus. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definetely their best album to date, but their last album (Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses) was pretty good too as far as lyrics went. I think that the most impressive sons on this album are Ex's And Oh's, and Shameful. I love everything about this album, and the only thing to dislike is that one or two of the songs are kind of repetitive. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't worry because I downloaded it onto my iPod, but if I didn't have that, then I would definetely buy the same one. // 9

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: Autumn Shadows, on july 21, 2006

Sound: I particularly love the sound of this album. But I was a little disappointed at Marc Mcknight's(bass) background screaming. I thought I was the only one to notice this but he sounds like a small child and I really think it throws off the traditional Atreyu sound. That was a bad move for Atreyu in my personal opinion to have Marc do background screams, it just doesn't sound like it fits the songs and my first impression was that they tried too hard to create a new sound. Atreyu did maintain their traditional melodic-metalcore sound on this album, which in fact I was glad to hear; such as their screaming verses and sung choruses, and heavy breakdowns. The guitars sound as good as ever, nothing really new about the distortion and such, and they don't use very many effects or anything like that on this album. But I do like the playing and soloing. The soloing has advanced greatly since The Curse, and they fit the songs well. My last disappointment would be the fact that there are only 9 tracks on the album, but they are solid, strong songs, which isn't too bad. I particularly enjoyed the album but I just couldn't shake the feeling that they could have accomplished alot more than what they presented. // 8

Lyrics: In my opinion I think the lyrics are just as good as the next guy's. Nothing really different from their previous albums. The lyrics are for the most part about getting out of bad relationships and situations and about how whoever the lyrics are about is trying to stand up for themselves. I think it got pretty cheesy and I think they carried out the "beaten-down-and-trying-to-get-back-up" role though, and I think they could have written much better and different stuff this time around as far as lyrics are concerned. Alex Varkatzas' screaming has improved greatly with this album, and he even sings in some songs, something I was very pleasantly surprised to hear. Brandon's singing has stayed the same, which is great as well. It sounds to me like he has reached new ranges, more than the previous albums. // 7

Overall Impression: If it were stolen I would probably just buy The Curse again, sad to say. The album isn't too bad, and it doesn't necessarily "suck", but compared to their previous albums it didn't stand up, and I think that as an Atreyu fan I just expected too much from them. They are truly a great band for their genre, and they did as well as anyone could have thought. // 7

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: Flashback4, on september 28, 2006

Sound: Sound is really good. It starts with 'creature' which is full of energy and will definately give you a good first impression. Throughtout the album, each song has its own felling and emotion. Some are softer than others, some harder some not at all like them, which I suppose is a good thing because you won't get bored of the same sort of song repeating. All together there 9 tracks and a bonus CD, which shows you Atreyu 30 minutes of Atreyu recording the album, which is a must watch CD. // 8

Lyrics: The singers are amazing (that's the singer and the drummer as the drummer sings to, if you didn't know) because they vary the screaming, roaring and normal singing very very well. Like there chorus's are quite melodic, then the singing in the breakdown is like lamb of god screaming. Amazing. This is why I like this album because as all songs are different and I want to listen more and more. // 9

Overall Impression: Very good album in terms of guitar riffs (there amazingly god like), singing great tone and variety to the whole album, and drums good, but I think the drummer does better with singing. Just my opinion. The best songs of the album are probably Ex's And Oh's, Creature, My Fork In The Road and The Private War. This is a must have album if you like atreyu, no seriously it is because of the reasons I've put in the other to paragraphs. // 9

A Death-Grip On Yesterday Reviewed by: quatoe, on july 11, 2007

Sound: Atreyu, who is a Post-Hardcore quartet from Orange County, California exploded onto the music scene a few years back with their break through album, Suicide Notes and Buttferly Kisses. Since then, Atreyu has been touring constantly and have been trying to get their name out. In 2004 they released The Curse, their second album and the one that really broke them into mainstream modern rock.Now, Atreyu has released their 3rd LP, A Death-Grip On Yesterday which has spawned the singles "Ex's and Oh's" and "The Theft". Atreyu has stayed true to their sound, although experimenting a bit more on tracks" The Theft, Ex's and Oh's, and Your Private War" with soft melodies and clean non screaming vocals from lead vocalist Alex Varksztas. Just like in past album's, Brandond Sallers' vocal melodies and drives have been intense, and riveting. He expresses amazing emotion in his singing abilities and takes full of use of his voice. Compared to past albums, A Death-Grip On Yesterday is more mature of an album than anything previously released. It features more melodic advances in their music, with less screaming than before and also softer songs compared to previous efforts. All in all, if you are an Atreyu fan than give this album a chance. There is a chance that you will truly love this masterpiece. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics have always been a major point for Atreyu. Topics they write about include; love, death, and vampirism. On this release their lyrics take a more mature turn with less about hate and more about life in general. "Ex's and Oh's" is an example of that, the lyrics represent life in general pointing out problems and things that should be fixed. "My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back)" is one of the most lyrically mature songs on the album, it talks about how you can love someone, but they are using and you see through their lies. I would Alex has outdone himself with his writing abilities on this album, so kudos to him and Atreyu. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall the album accomplishes what it sets out to do, show a new side to Atreyu and give an amazing album to their fans. SOme songs you check out are"Ex's and Oh's, The Theft, Your Private War, We Stand Up, My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back)and Untitled Finale". All of thos songs are amazing and will appeal to the most die hard Atreyu fan. The album is a masterpiece and should be lsitened to be any post-ahrdcore fan or a metalcore fan, it will appeal to you, trust me. What I am really trying to say is if you have 20 bucks and want to buy an album and are a fan of Atreyu, check the album out. I won't disappoint. // 10

More Atreyu reviews rating latest review
+ Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses 8.8 07/11/2011