Fractures In The Facade Of Your Porcelain Beauty Review

Label: Tribunal
 7.4
 7.7
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Fractures In The Facade Of Your Porcelain Beauty Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2009

Sound: The album Fractures In The Facade Of Your Porcelian Beauty is the first EP released by Atreyu (Visions was technically just a demo). It was released on January 29th, 2002. The impression of this CD is that Atreyu used to be a very different band. Instead of screaming at the top of his lungs, screaming vocalist Alex chooses a lower, growling vocal. The guitars are, ironically, recorded with better clarity than they are on the band's first full length, Suicide Notes & Butterfly Kisses. The distortion isn't anything special, just what you would get with a typical distortion pedal. The music style of this is metalcore, actually branching out into deathcore in one song, A Letter to Someone Like you. While it isn't musically as good as their debut full length, this album is great for a hardcore/metalcore fan. // 8

Lyrics: This is (or was, at this point) Atreyu's strong point. The lyrics could actually be poetry if they weren't set to music. One example from Tulips are Better: "Crystal clear, I see the rose is frail. My eyes are fixated by it's beauty. As I go to grasp it in my hand, my heart is torn beating from my chest." The compliance of lyrics and music is amazing. For dissonant parts of the songs, the lyrics are dark, morbid, and in some cases suicidal. In uplifting choruses, the lyrics are well. Uplifting. Clean vocalist/drummer Brandon Saller is at his worst here, to be honest. He goes out of key at times, but his tone is still the same. It isn't bad, just untrained. Group shouts are occasionally used here. // 9

Overall Impression: Now that I've went through the strong points, sadly I have to go into the weak point. Comparing to other artists' first albums/EP's, it simply doesn't. Atreyu, by changing your style, you've led me to believe that you're worse than you really are. This album, when compared to another artists', let's say Inhale Exhale, first album, overall Atreyu is beaten in every sense. The screams aren't as controlled, the guitars as complex or organized, the vocals as spot on, the drums are really the impressive part of this album. They're precise almost all the time. The most impressive songs on this album to me are A Letter To Someone Like You, and Living Each Day Like You're Already Dead. If it was lost, I would buy it again, but mostly out of the fact that it only cost me $5. // 6

More Atreyu reviews rating latest review
+ Lead Sails Paper Anchor 7.3 08/13/2013