Lead Sails Paper Anchor Review

atreyu: Lead Sails Paper Anchor
Release Date: Aug 28, 2007
Genres: Metalcore, Hard Rock
Label: Hollywood Records
Atreyu leaves its metalcore label behind to take a stab at '80s hard rock.
 Lyrics: 6.5
 7.3
 7.1
 7.4
Lead Sails Paper Anchor Featured review by: UG Team, on august 28, 2007

Sound: There's been a bit more talk surrounding Atreyu's latest album, primarily because it strays from the band's usual metalcore sound and has replaced it with straightforward melodic rock. This should undoubtedly have Atreyu purists feeling a little uncomfortable, but there are more than a few successful moments on the Orange County natives' latest album Lead Sails Paper Anchor. The '80s metal influence is undeniable and it's actually very refreshing to hear an all-out whammy bar solo again. While the nostalgia aspect is a lot of fun, the album still never lives up to the greats of the hair metal era -- or the metalcore era for that matter.

The opener Doomsday immediately jumps into the '80s vibe with an incredible guitar intro and things look very promising. There are even some nice chanted group vocals, which might just be a nod to an '80s classic like Balls To The Wall." The vocals actually feel Mike Patton-esque at times, bouncing from a rapped, gritty vocal to some nice harmonies. It's an interesting mish-mesh of sounds, but something does feel missing. As impressive as the musicianship is, Doomsday still feels like it's been done before by a dozen other bands.

Atreyu fairs better on Becoming The Bull, which surprisingly enough, features a dark-sounding riff that feels like a watered-down version of Raining Blood by Slayer. Rather than sounding brutally heavy, the main guitar riff has a groove-oriented twist on it. It's still a fairly edgy riff and it would have been nice to have vocals that echoed that same style. There are a few moments during the song when vocalist Alex Varkatzas tries out a grittier vocal style and lets out a roar, but that testosterone-driven style is a rarity for the most part.

The closing number Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor) is hands-down the most surprising track on the CD. From the moment you hear the Eagles-esque slide guitar intro, you know you're in for the big epic ending. There are some gorgeous harmonies in the song and it absolutely stands out as being the most original song on Lead Sails Paper Anchor. While much of the album feels like an homage to hair metal, Lead Sails is the best example of the band's true creativity because they didn't worry about trying to recreate any genre. // 7

Lyrics: Like the music on the CD, the lyrics have their ups and downs. The band's most intriguing song happens to also be the best track musically on the CD, Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor). The track avoids any generic lyrics and paints a more vivid picture. Varkatzas sings, Withering away, her sinking violet dies; So full of life, these lights have dried me out; Into the sea, I needed a drink; I never thought this would consume me whole. Even though the sea theme has been done before, Atreyu does a solid job at the imagery it uses.

For the rock songs the band often takes the angry approach, which works well for the style. Blow is probably the angriest of them all with lyrics like, So f--kin' blow those words out the back of your head; I've heard it all and I'm done with that shit; You tell me lies; And you get what you get. Again, the theme is not necessarily new, but it's an aggressive number that calls for a basic approach. // 8

Overall Impression: Guitarists Dan Jacobs and Travis Miguel do supply some incredible Steve Vai-like guitar solos, and that is absolutely the highlight of Atreyu's latest album. The solos do tend to steal the spotlight and it's very cool to see a metalcore band attempt to try out something completely new. Varkatzas' vocals don't quite recreate the '80s, but they are still strong enough to cover plenty of ground, whether a ballad or an angry tirade.

While the band does deserve credit for taking a risk, Atreyu's fan base might be a little disheartened by the new sound. There are some nice melodies throughout, but that might not be enough. With the exception of a song like Lose It, which feels the most like a metalcore song, Lead Sails Paper Anchor is a very different animal and may leave fans scratching their heads. // 7

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: MatrixClaw, on august 28, 2007

Sound: The band openly stated that the new CD would be different from anything they've put out (eventhough they've said it before), however, this time it deffinately is true. The difference in sound is like night and day from A Death-Grip On Yesterday. Many songs are like classic rock on steriods, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The guitar playing is, arguably, better in some songs than in other songs (solos, etc.), however, how the lyrics are sung completely kill the songs. One song's main riff (Falling Down) is actually a riff from another band's song (name escapes me at the moment). The songs are noticably less "metal" and more soft sounding. // 5

Lyrics: I can't really comment on the lyrics themselves, at some points they make a good melody (mostly at choruses), but at others, it just kills the song. They've also introduced a new singer/screamer into their line-up (the bass player), which also really kills the songs for me as his voice sounds like Sum 41's lead singer yelling as loud as he can. A lot of songs lack the screaming that pretty much made Atreyu what they are. The singing by Brandon is still just as good (as always), but there's a deffinate change in how the lyrics are sung. There's also a lot of "group shouting," which isn't a bad thing, unless it's used too much in a song and used in multiple songs, as it is here. // 2

Overall Impression: Overall, the new Atreyu CD was a big let down to me, and I'm sure a lot of other fans will agree as well. There's no doubt they'll be losing a lot of fans for this one, but be gaining the same amount, if not more, as the songs are more "radio friendly." The only song I really like from the CD is Lose It, it actually sounds really nice, all the lyrics fit to the music and it's an overall awesome song, not a heavy song however, but it's still good. I wish Atreyu the best of luck with their new CD, but unless they change back to what made them famous, I'll stick with listening to A Death-Grip On Yesterday or before, there's nothing on this CD worth the cost. I rarely hear a CD with only one good song, all their others were great with many good songs and the others were ok. The new one has one good song and all the others are bad. Don't waste your time or money if you're into their old sound, you'll be let down, immensly. // 2

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: Shlecht, on september 03, 2007

Sound: There's no doubt that Atreyu's most recent release, "Lead Sails, Paper Anchor", has a signifcantly new sound to their music. It's almost all-over rock wise in some ways, but they still keep it heavy and, for the most part, in-your-face; just how any rock-fan would enjoy. Some have complained that the style of rock (and metal) of Atreyu's new sound have taken a turn for the worst, rather than taking a different good step to a sound they probably wanted to accomplish. What influenced them, I'm not sure, because it definitely stands out amongst the other Atreyu albums. The style they've accomplished, however, doesn't bother me, as I'm sure it doesn't with many others. People have great songs to select from "LSPA". There's some heavy, badass songs with awesome guitar riffs like "Blow" and "Lost It", and there's also a more heart-felt side of Atreyu that I've been curious to see for a while, and that can be heard in the song "Lead Sails, Paper Anchor." This is definitely a different song that's been written by Atreyu for as long as I've listened to them, and it's easily one of the best ballads I have ever come across, and if you enjoy ballads as much as I do, you'll be able to tell. Another thing that stands out in Atreyu's new material is the lyrics. They stand out more because Brandon (the drummer and back-up singer) sings a lot more throughout most of the songs, compared to "A Death Grip On Yesterday" when he mainly sang in choruses and sometimes the verses. Now, he sings a lot more, and their lead singer, Alex, seems to have been training a lot to get a more mature screaming voice that sounds more authentic. The album clearly has a lot to offer this time around. // 10

Lyrics: In "LSDA", the vocals are certainly better, or maybe for some, worse than the other albums. If you enjoyed listening to Brandon's singing that produces more emotional and sing-able songs, then this album will particularly be enjoyable for you. On the previous album, Alex's screaming almost bothered me; it didn't seem genuine or, in some ways, talented to pull off. However, this time around, his voice has improved dramatically. He can pull off real, talented screaming, and he can also sing, but his real singing isn't so prevalent on the new album. The lyrics themselves are a combination of both cliche and creative. In some songs, you'll notice you'll hear lyrics that have probably been used before or just similar to other music. In some other songs, lyrics are original and you can tell there was more effort put forth into the songs. Whenever cliche or unoriginal lyrics pop-up, however, the sound of either lyricist's voice makes up for it by sounding worthy of listening to. // 9

Overall Impression: I didn't expect Atreyu's new material, that as people have mentioned, sounds '80s-ish (which I do in-fact agree with, but I don't complain at all about the '80s-themed material), but the CD overall is nearly a masterpiece in my point of view. There's a lot to offer throughout the whole thing because of how much different styles they incorporated, and it's material worth listening to if you're a rock/metal fan. Anyone can especially enjoy the solos that are found throughout the album. The solos will strike anyone as being either mind-blowing or downright kickass, because each solo visibly has talent behind it. With both heart-felt and in-your-face lyrics, as well as sick guitar riffs and solos, the album is without a doubt a must-have for anyone. You can either listen to critics or fans about how their sound is different and a bad way for the band to go, or you can listen to the actual music that Atreyu has brought forth and appreciate it and enjoy it for what it contains. Any rock/metal fan can pick this up from a store and by the end of the day feel like they have purchased a worthy album of being on their shelves. After all, I was one of those fans. // 10

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: fredzeskater, on september 19, 2007

Sound: The sound has really changed, it's so more professional. Some of their old stuff was so bad, I mean it was catchy and had good lyrics but it was just like a garage band. I think lead sails, paper anchor has really helped them become the band they always needed to become. As a guitarist, I don't like the way they have lost the heaviness they had for songs such as 'atleast I know I'm a sinner'. And I feel some of the songs on this album are really bad, just cheap and not worth being on an album. Maybe for an EP or a demo, but not an album. I think doomsday is a great opening to the album and Lead sails, paper anchor is a great, peaceful ending. "I'm setting sails, with anchors holding me down" is such a great way to say that you want to more on, but your just going nowhere. Excellent slow ending to their album. Oh no wait, we still have the faith no more cover, epic to come. I think this was a bad choice of cover. It just wasn't right for them. I felt that 'When two are one' was like their song from the curse, 'This Flesh, A Tomb' part 2 almost. In that song they say how much they couldn't live without someone and how much they love them, together forever sort of thing. And the lyrics in 'When two are one' say about coping through the break-up and how it went wrong. My favourite songs would have to be 'Doomsday', 'Becoming the bull', 'When two are one', and 'Lead sails, paper anchor'. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics have really changed since 'suicide notes and butterfly kisses', they used to sing about death, hatred and being broken hearted nonstop, to be honest, I was kind of getting sick of it, I feel that it's good they have broken out of that chain and matured almost. I feel that alex's lyrics have become more, professional, along with his voice and the sound. Although sadly I can't really relate to most of them, like I could with older atreyu. "Grab the bull by the horns, the old adges goes, nobody tells you where to go from there!" This is a great line, I love the way his voice projects it. // 7

Overall Impression: Atreyu have really changed since visions, with lots of different views of the fans like "They've Sold Out" and "They Have Changed For The New Fans". I don't think they have, you could see the change in the previous album 'Death-grip on yesterday' with some few less shouting songs such as 'The Theft' and they were gradually changing as all bands do. I do think Atreyu have changed, but not that it's a bad thing, ok so it doesn't sound like old Atreyu, but it's still good music! but I do think they have lost their shouting/singing trademark though, and they are still my favourite band. // 8

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: minnaow, on september 07, 2007

Sound: First, let me state that I've been in love with Atreyu since The Curse, and that led me back to Suicide Notes, and I eagerly awaited Deathgrip on Yesterday, and have likewise awaited Atreyu's first Major Label album (with Hollywood Records, owned by Disney). I had mixed feelings with the first single, 'Becoming the Bull', but put it behind me to give the record an honest listen. Well, here we go. The first track, 'Doomsday' is about par for the course for Atreyu: heavy palm muted rhythm from Travis Miguel, squealing leads from Dan Jacobs, solid drumming and melodic singing from Brandon Saller, driving if mostly unnoticed bass from Marc McKnight, and screaming/shouting (more of the latter) from Alex Varkatzas. Nothing new here, but this is what Atryeu does best, and it's good. One thing I noticed early on was the greater use of production (phases guitar on 'Doomsday', liberal use of voice modification giving an etheral feel to parts of 'Falling Down' and 'Becoming The Bull'); these bells and whistles that work well on sparse and bland pop songs seem simply cluttering and almost insulting to hard rock and metal bands, whose real art is in the performance, not in the little production tricks. These bells and whistles can be attributed to producer John Feldmann, who has worked with The Used, Hilary Duff, Ashlee Simpson, and Story of the Year. Stylistically, this record is simply all over the place. Heavy metal can be found on most tracks, but in a greatly scaled back fashion. More evident are Dan Jacob's 80's Metal influences, which lead to the Hair Metal Power Ballad, Grunge, Late 90s Alt Rock, and even a little bit of Rockabilly on 'Falling Down' and an Alt Country ballad in 'Lead Sails (and a Paper Anchor)'. Though some enjoy the variety, the effect is lost when the record lacks cohesion to bring the songs together as an artistic album; I don't hear or see any elements that connect these tracks other than that they have been recorded by Atreyu, and that is my greatest dissapointment. The previous records have had a signature voice and stream of thought that connected the album together, and this album is simply lacking in this department. There are, however, things I do like about the album. First of all, Atreyu has learned how to go soft, which is respectable. 'The Theft' from Deathgrip on Yesterday was beautiful and the softest thing the had yet recorded, but 'No One Cares' is a good example of the softer side of a very heavy band. More important than being soft, the song is actually pretty good. Other stand outs on the record are 'Honor', a funky track with a good riff; 'Lose It', possibly the best song on the record; and 'Blow', though it is pretty chliche 80s metal and anthemic, it has a good groove to it. // 7

Lyrics: As with most of the record, the lyrics seem to be watered down and systemic, and this is the death knell to any album for me. The lyrics and general vocals lack the power, punch and purity that were so prevalent through the previous records. 'The Remembrance Ballad' from The Curse was the song that turned me on to Atreyu, and I was pleased to find that most of their other work was this haunting and powerful, especially 'A Vampire's Lament' from Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses. This record is a constant barrage of lackluster lyrics sung by the often shouting Alex (very little screaming, again dissapointing), the occasionally amazing Marc McKnight, and the consitently underwhelming Brandon Saller. While the combination of Alex and Brandon in the past was inspired (see the end of 'Ain't Love Grand' and 'We Stand Up' from Suicide Notes and Deathgrip, respectively), it seems forced and just silly sometimes. Alex has improved his singing voice drastically, but it's not nearly as good as his scream, which is to say, the most raw and beautiful thing I've ever heard anyone do. In a word: unimpressed. // 5

Overall Impression: This album seems like a rush to put out material on their new label so they can make some money for Hollywood and themselves, accordingly. If that's what they wanted to do, then this might make a bottom line in combination with an upcoming tour. But if Atreyu wanted to make a progressive or impressive album, they should go back into their catalog and take a close look at what made their last three albums so extraordinary and special to so many fans, and forget about satisfying the mass market. A band should want to make the best music they can, and it is obvious to me that Atreyu makes great Heavy Metal albums, and they do not make good hard rock albums, like this one. All the power from their heavy guitars and screaming leads have been lost, and the songs seem so subdued, even when they obviously want to unload the music. The album is just consistently dissapointing, and that's about all I have to say. I hope their next album is a lot better. // 6

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: dandyhandy17, on january 05, 2008

Sound: The latest album by Atreyu "Lead Sails Paper Anchor" was surprisingly was a great hit and to my impression I think it's the greatest one yet! The metal core band has a great '80s metal and is certainly like feels like you get to listen to the music you weren't able to here. The opening song Doomsday was a great song. The song had a '80s style and had an intro solo that had the skill of guitarists Travis Miguel and Dan Jacobs work was used with a lot of techniques including artificial harmonics, bending, hammer ons, pull offs, tapping, using the whammy bar, and the palm mute. My impression; it will come up in a new C-D of Atreyu's greatest hits. "Becoming The Bull" had an awesome riff and is one of the songs that had a hard/metal core style. On track 5 "When Two Are One" The band created song well: They made an awesome intro solo, a pre-verse solo which in my opinion, was the best, and a tapping solo that closed the song. The closing song "Lead Sails (And a Paper Anchor)" was surprisingly a whole different song than the others in the album. I really liked the intro, it was kind of like in the style of more classical music but I like Atreyu's great creativity with many harmonies and how the song was put in a style of a different genre of music. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are great and the singers are amazing! Lead singer Alex Varkatzas doesn't sing very well but when sings screaming, it's definitely something. In Track 2, "Honor," They had great vocals which was probably the best song comparing it by vocals. In the chorus, bassist and vocals Marc McKnight shows that he can sing too. In my opinion, he's better than Varkatzas. I like how he noted the words and how in one word, he made a volume much louder and after that he started to sing more softly. After that, Varkatzas chanted screaming: Fight. Fight. Fight, 'till the break of dawn! Then the process would repeat again with different lyrics. There was a group-chant before the chorus saying: "We believe in what we say!" At first, I thought that Atreyu had hired about 20 people to chant it which amazed me. "Doomsday" had a group-chant also and it was before the chorus as well. Drummer Brandon Saller was a backup singer singing the same words as Travis and Varkatzas but a bit after make the impression of the vocalists good. The theme of the songs didn't make much sense to me which was a disappointment since the singing skills were amazing. There were different moods in different songs like "Honor" which had a proud kind of mood. Varkatzas sings: "open arms (we) embrace tomorrow, closed fists tarnishing today, we're not afraid to open our mouths and sing: We believe in what we say!" In "Becoming the Bull," the song had a mood that you're alone and nobody's there for you which is like a feels like rejected mood. Varkatzas says: "grab the bull by the horns, the old adage goes, nobody tells you where to go from here, seems like fate's pulling you, decisions have to be made, the path is the hardest earned." The song "Blow" (Track 10) had an angry mood to it. Travis sings: "So f--king blow those words out of the back of your head, I've heard it all and I'm done with shit. You tell me lies and give what you get so blow those words out of the back of your head." // 9

Overall Impression: Because of this C-D, this band is now my favourite artist. Guitarists Travis McKnight and Dan Jacobs teamwork makes the number one reason why this album so good; many harmonies, crazy all-out whammy-bar solos and just their insane skill. They take the stage showing off but I don't care. They're good, that's all that matters. Comparing to other bands, the other bands are still awesome but Atreyu would still be my favourite. I think tracks 1-5: Doomsday, Honor, Falling Down, Becoming the Bull, When Two Are One, and track 10, Blow, is the best songs of the album. I like how the solos are the style how I like it and is very refreshing to hear. I love the lyrics and how their compliance with their music is perfect, how the guitarists make the best solos and if I lost it, I would buy it again definitely. If I got the chance, I'll buy the other C-Ds too! If it got stolen, yea, bad choice. The thief's mom will be crying because I would track down with my television experience (C.S.I) and slit the stealers throat. I hate that, well, nothing! The group definitely deserves credit for their work. // 10

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: A_New_Level, on august 28, 2007

Sound: This CD is as mainstream as it gets. Say hello to the new Avenged Sevenfold. Atreyu has walked the same path and I hope you all kept your copies of "The Curse" and "Suicide Notes and Butterly Kisses" because the Atreyu we once knew is gone and those 2 CDs are they only way your gonna hear the Atreyu you know. This sound was a total let down. Pianos, Acoustic Guitars, etc. Their sound isnt even recognizable. Usually Alex screams and Dan sings. Well now they both sing and it sounds like crap and screaming is nowhere to be found. Basic rhythms that do nothing but make your foot tap are on this CD and it's nothing to "rock out" to. The first single "Becoming the Bull" (I'm sure almost everyone has heard this song) is probably the heaviest song on this album. And that's a joke. 3 or 4 songs are decent at best out of the 11 on this album. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics have went downhill. Like I said their just mainstream now. Lyrics like "I'm dying tonight", etc are cliche and overused on this album. The combination of Alex's screaming and Dan's singing on previous records was unbeatable. I'm sure we've all heard "Right Side Of The Bed" And "The Crimson" Those are goods example of the screaming/singing mix and it sounded great. Alex no longer screams and that plays a big part in the crappiness of this CD. // 3

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this to any other albums or bands really. Maybe A7X. The best song on this album is definatly "Can't Happen Here" even though the guitar playing is mediocre. there's not too much screaming at all on this album but 90% of the albums screaming is on this song. There are some guitar riffs, solos, etc and some screaming and singing that reminds me off old Atreyu, but hardly any. But the parts that do bring back their old sound make me want to rock out and appreciate this album but the very few decent/good songs don't make up for the rest. Sorry to say. All I have to say is go back to Victory Records Atreyu. Do not buy this if your expecting "The Curse" or Deathgrip. I wouldn't buy this again If I lost it. I wouldn't even download it. I'll just stick with The Curse. Thank you very much. RIP Atreyu. // 4

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2007

Sound: Okay, first off, let me say that I don't judge music by how artist previously sounded, I judge it on what it sounds like, and not like what it "should" sound like (Don't get that mixed up with me comparing it to previous records). That being said, I must say that Lead Sails Paper Anchor is untraditionally Atreyu, but still a good sound none the less. The songs themselves are catchy and the screaming has been put in more strategic spots rather then having it blasting in your face every second of the song, and even though I would've liked to have heard more screaming, I still enjoy this kind of sound. It's still in-your-face a good amount, but actually features mellow moments to catch your breathe before stealing it away again. It still features Atreyu's standard Drop-C tuning, and the guitar work is good, but not great, but still has more then its' share of shining moments. It isn't the sound that the die-hard kind of Atreyu fan would be proud of, but as a music lover it's pretty good. // 8

Lyrics: Like in previous Atreyu albums, the lyrics delve into the realm of death, dispair, betrayal, lost love, tragedy, and many other cliche subjects. Although this time around there seems to be a more optimistic side to Atreyu, the way it's sung is reletively uplifting, and isn't drowned, but rather laced (if that's possible), with screaming. Alex's voice is great when it's raw and gritty, but he can still add raw power to any of the songs with a scream. Brandons' voice is almost the center piece now, his clean vocals have become the skin and appearance of nearly all the songs. And there are quite a few bursts of gang vocals that grace the album. And lastly, Josh Todd from Buckcherry gives his unique voice to the song "Blow" and does a great job with the rest of the band. So overall, the lyrics can be a bit cliche, but the way it's sung usually makes up for it. // 6

Overall Impression: This album can't be compared to Suicide Notes or The Curse, it just can't, it almost be like trying to compare apples with oranges now, Atreyu's style has just changed that much with this album. That of course, does not make it a bad album. The vocals are respectable, the lyrics aren't (but that's typical Atreyu), and the guitar work has been better, but it's still respectable and any track on this album will be much better then any emo-punk song. Now, since I downloaded it from a P2P system, I don't have the last two songs. 01. Doomsday - if it weren't for the cheesy chorus, this would be a nearly flawless song. The opening screams Atreyu with a guitar lead charge into Alex's voice. The lyrics are something to be desired, but the gritty vocals and great guitar work barely make up for it. 02. Honor - now this one's a gem. The rappish vocals are great, the lyrics are uplifting, and it's nearly an anthem for alternative youth. If it doesn't have you chanting "Fight, Fight Fight, until the break of dawn" by the end of this song then you're deaf. 03. Falling Down - from the instant you hear the poppy drums and Brandons' pop vocals, you know they've gone into a mainstream label. A purist Atreyu fan would be sobbing and angry by the time this one finished, but it's a good song, catchy, unlifting, and a decent guitar solo. 04. Becoming The Bull - the dastardly song that had all the Atreyu fans trying to fit little audio clips together. That was a rather good waste of time. Anyways, it's one of the better songs on the album. The vocals go from gritty one second to clean and melodic another, a random assortment of luscious guitar work and raw vocal power that form together to create a good radio friendly song. 05. Two Become One - you know how I said that Alex's screaming was put strategically through the album, this is a prime example. Instead of drowing you, he saves it for a point in the song that will kick you around just enough to have you smiling. Guitar work is pretty good, the leads keep up with the song and it's a very respectable song. 06. Lose It - for some reason, the intro screams "Irish step dancing" to me. But after that, they give you an impending sense of doom as the melodic vocals are followed by screaming then back into clean then right back into screams. It goes from intense to dull in no time, but it balances between the two, so I'll let you decide for yourself what you think of it. 07. No One Cares - yet again, tame and melodic. It focuses almost entirely on clean vocals and for the first time, you can actually understand every verse in an Atreyu song. Definitly not one of the better tracks, it just seems a bit bland 08. Can't Happen Here - now here's the intensity that Atreyu is known for, from the moment that Alex screams, you know you're in for a treat. The guitar work becomes the real backbone of the chorus, while the verse start out with some kind of studio effect, then the guitar picks it up about half way through. Overall, a strong song that leave hope for purists, if very little. 09. Slow Burn - no, just no. The beginning sounds like a Fall Out Boy song, and from there it just chugs along steadily. No "wow" moments or anything that would make this song stand out. 10. Blow - I gotta say that I do enjoy this track. Excessive swearing, piss off lyrics, a catchy beat, Josh Todd, need I say more? (I don't have to, but that never stopped me before). The guitarist get their word in before the end of the song, and it's just spectacular. Alex's screams and Josh Todd's screams meld together into this melting pot to create a simply magnificant song. Just two things I need to say about this song; I'd like to sing it to a couple of people I know. And that it needs more Cowbell. 11. Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor) - I know it'll be hard to just not just instantly turn the music off as the steel guitar and melodic clean vocals will probably be the final straw for more then a few people. But this is a real gem, the lyrics are quite good, and the imagery is brilliant. It's just a really good song and shouldn't be overlooked. Overall, this album isn't anything like Atreyu, but it's still a good album. While you may expect more from them, I'm satisfied, and I'm happy to say that it (even if just barely) gets my seal of approval. Now all you purists, please go listen to Mastodon or something instead of whining. // 8

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: Johnny1029, on august 30, 2007

Sound: I think when Atreyu said they were going to go in a different direction they did just that. Newer music ment for them to try something new. More singing less screaming, heacy sogns, slow songs, better guitar work and etc. This album is rather different from their older stuff, like Butterfly Kisses and The Curse, but it still manages to hold it's own with catchy riffs and uprising choruses. The band managed to do well with their change and even managed to bring back '80s hair metal a little bit. Doomsday, very good opener for the CD. Very well written and probably one of the best on the CD. It opens with a heavy crunchy riff then the intro finishes with ear jerking solo by guitarist Dan Jacobs. The verse is powerful and still holds down the fort even without the screaming. The chorus really brings emotion to the song as drummer Brandon Sallers sings while others back him up with Ah's. The breakdown at the end of the song is brutal and unexpected and shows Atreyu fans that Atreyu can still be heavy. Becoming The Bull, the song itself starts of with a riff that rivals that of Her Portrait in Black. The verse is slow but yet still heavy and the chorus completely brings the song together. The slow part at the end of the second chorus is very soft and easy then afterwards Atreyu breaks lose with another breakdown and then leaves Brandon to sing solo with a piano in the background before the last and final chorus hits along with a solo at theend whichis performed by their other guitarist Travis Miguel that also shows that both Atreyu's guitarist are rather skilled. Lose It is as people say the song that sounds the most like an old Atreyu song. The intro is heavy and has a torqie lead riff over top fo it. The verse is slow but catchy and the chorus involves both singers as Alex screams and Brandon sings adn the second verse is done by Brandon himself. The middle of the song features a banjo for a couple seconds then goes to the last chorus. the song ends with Alex screaming and yet again goes back to the intro riff. Lead Sails (And Paper Anchors) compeletly out of the ordinary but Atreyu said they were going to try something new so they did. With a country type beginning the band still manages to make the song solid. Alex and Brandon trade off vocal parts through out the song and make the song sound like it still came from Atreyu hands. The song is definately a good defintion of an outro to the CD. // 9

Lyrics: Though the lyrics lacked a bit since Deathgrip and likewise The Curse, at most, but they still can piece the songs together on the album. The lyrics for Doomsday are powerful and very thought provoking, which is always done in Atreyu style. Becoming the Bull's do what the song is about. They grab the bull by the horns. That is pretty much what they did on this album. Lose It's lyrics are short but really have a meaning to them. The screaming in this song is exceptionally good too. Lead Sail's lyrics are a little repetitive but maybe on purpose to give the people visions in their head while listening to the song. Overall their lyrics were above average on this album. Alex did a very well job writing them. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this was probably one of Atreyu's better albums. Butterfly Kisses was good but it was lacking a lot of good guitar work. The Curse had very good lyrics and likewise very good guitar work (ex: Bleeding Masscara, Rememberance Ballad). Deathgrip was good but also lacked as good lyrics as The Curse but still held its own with the lyrics written for the album and also introduced a new style of metal music wise (ex:Creaure, We Stand Up, Ex's and Oh's). Lead Sails was different and lacked lyrics just like Deathgrip but yet again the guitar work on the album was very well done (ex: Doomsday, Becoming the Bull). The highlights of this album is definately Doomsday, Becoming the Bull and Lose It. I love the new music and I love how they had the guts to try somehting new. Nothing negative here. Atreyu handled this album well. If you like Atreyu and good guitar work then pikc this up at your local music store cause it's well worth it. // 9

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: rictazero, on september 01, 2007

Sound: First off, let me start by saying that Atreyu's first CDs and the two EPs that they put out before this were absolutely amazing, and helped to change my view on music and life in general. They are the band that singularly drew me into the metal and hardcore scenes, just a little bit before The Curse came out. This CD however, has been one of the biggest musical disappointments I have ever had. For those who don't know, Atreyu recently switched from Victory to Hollywood records, basically because they weren't getting enough money from Victory. Hollywood is a Disney-owned label, and they are now labelmates with the likes of Hannah Montana. Some other fun facts are that Nickleback, yes, Nickleback, helped with writing on this CD and that the vocalist from Buckcherry does guest vocals on the song Blow. Does any of this sound like Atreyu to you? The answer is no. As a matter of fact, the entire CD besides a select two or three songs sounds absolutely nothing like Atreyu. I found myself wondering if it was a joke and they were waiting to release the real songs. But after listening to it all the way through seven or eight times, I was disgusted and just glad that I didn't spend money on it and instead listened to it on their myspace. While the CD is varied, that isn't a good thing for Atreyu. They are good at writing a heavy metalcore song, which there are glimpses of on this, such as in Honor, Can't Happen Here, When Two are One, and Lose It. Everything else, however, is horrible. The guitars are the highlight of the CD, but only for their technicality and sometimes heavy/gritty aspects. They don't carry any emotion as they did in the last song, where you could almost feel what Alex was expressing through the guitars. There is none of that now, just shredding. Once you get to Falling Down, you find yourself asking "Since when the hell did Atreyu steal the 'Dance, Dance' intro?" And everything past there is just bad, from the 80's rock infused with pop and minimal screaming of such songs as Blow, to the emo song No One Cares, and then they sink all the way down to the country, yes, country, including a steel guitar and everything, on Lead Sails Paper Anchor. Besides the guitars being good, there are no real highlights in musicianship at all. The drums are there, but they're mediocre, the quick double bass of old is replaced with basic beats and few fills, and all of the chorus drums sound the same. The bass has never been that good, and has been even more dumbed down here. The vocals, I can't even get started on. Alex has almost stopped screaming altogether! He is trying to sing, which doesn't suit his voice, and on most songs, such as the single Becoming the Bull and Doomsday, you hear only brief glimpses of screaming, which was a huge element of their sound before. Now it's gone along with Atreyu. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that changing for a band is a good thing, bands change and evolve and that is understandable, but this was a pure sellout. Atreyu has lost touch with what made them Atreyu and as a result, this album was horrible. If it was the band's first album and I was listening to it for the first time, I'd say that they wouldn't last very long. Flame me if you must for this review, but the CD simply is not good. // 4

Lyrics: I am a writer as much as a musician, and as a result of this, I pay a lot, and I mean a lot of attention to lyrics. These are cliche, they are dumbed down and don't even make much sense. Whereas the old lyrics were thought out and expressed a level of literary skill, the new ones are just there. They can't catch my attention and I am left wanting SO much more. Here's an example from No One Cares: "No one cares, no one listens, saying words that you fake hearing, no one cares, no one listens anymore, so paranoid I've been hiding from the sun, I'm afraid of everything and everyone." There's just no merit to that, it's not even that catchy. The few exceptions to the lyrical ineptitude of this CD are Honor, When Two Are One, Can't Happen Here, and Lose It, which are also the four best tracks the CD has to offer. Part of this decline in lyrical capability I believe is that Brandon is writing more lyrics now whereas Alex used to write more of them, and Alex is a much, much better lyricist. Compare the lyrics I posted above to these (from Tulips Are Better): "F--k all your false beauty It was transparent just like your smile, liar Your thorns caress my flesh Crimson drops on a snowy field, liar I have watched you retrogress I have watched what you've become, liar Please take your eyes off of me It's funny how fast blue eyes fade gray, liar" These represent an actual theme, along with an excellent metaphor running throught the song and great imagery throughout. What happened to that? Why are we now getting lyrics like this: "So f--kin' blow those words out the back of your head, I've heard it all and I'm done with that shit, You tell me lies, and you get what you get, so blow those f--kin' words out the back of your head." These lyrics just do not do it for me at all. // 2

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD can never ever compare to their old stuff, and it is a sell-out, radio-friendly, pop CD, basically sounding like what would happen if Fall Out Boy hooked up with the guitarist from Motley Crue. It can't compare to any other CDs out there today, especially if you are a metal fan, which if you are, I would recommend the new releases from As I Lay Dying, The Devil Wears Prada, Darkest Hour, and Between the Buried and Me. The highlights of this album are Honor, When Two Are One, Can't Happen Here, and Lose It. Other than that, everything else barely touches the point of mediocrity, and are only saved, if they are at all, by the technicality of the guitars. I love that Atreyu tried something new, and the guitars are definetley much better technically, but Atreyu has lost their emotion and their drive, and everything but the guitars just isn't good. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would feel bad for whoever stole it/found it. // 3

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: Chad_Lough, on september 10, 2007

Sound: Ok, so a little over a week after it's release, I purchased "Lead Sails Paper Anchor" by Atreyu. I was thouroughly impressed with this album, it was a major step forward. a lot of fans hate when bands go major label and change their sound. Atreyu has earned it. Back in July, when I first saw the flyer in Hot Topic, I thought, out loud, "God I hope they do not go pop." They didn't, however, for the most part, they have streamlined their music, but are still Atreyu. Brandon's voice is stronger, deeper, and Alex restrains from constant screams, but shouts and sings. Marc seasons the songs. The guitar work was stellar, big solos from Dan and heavy palm muting from Travis. Same roles just bigger work. I have to give Atreyu props, Brandon triple basses, sings and keeps his drumming solid and tight. Musically, Atreyu is a group of pretty talented guys. They covered Faith No More, as a hidden track. Although I preferred their cover of Bon Jovi's "You Gave Love A Bad Name" on "The Curse," this cover was solid. The highlight for me was "Two Become One." I was nervous about the solo, because it remonded me of A7X, of which I am no fan at all. The sound they have on this release was too far a scope to really define. They cover rockabilly, '80s arena-rock, metalcore rawkus, and something like an acoustic ballad. I was impressed and I would recommend this album, with the disclaimer that the old metalcore sound has evolved into a more pure rock sound. These guys have gone from indie-label metalcore to major label rock in 10 years. // 7

Lyrics: Basic Atreyu lyrics, focusing on heartbreak, et cetera. They don't hesitate to say how truly upset they were. I have to say that lyrically, I wish they would have been as daring as they were musically. After 9 years and 5 albums, I would like to here something other than "f--k this or that." Becoming the Bull was close, focusing on overcoming struggles. I find myself singing along to this song in my head, even when the album is not playing. The lyrics fit well with each song respectively, although they did not stray far from convention there. They are still pissed that someone hurt them, and exclaim "f--k" and "shit" in the song "Blow." "Two Become One" stood out because the lyrics for that particular song were, surprisingly positive. // 5

Overall Impression: The last song Lead Sails (and A Paper Anchor) was far from "Lip Gloss and Black" as they have gone. It starts off with a steel guitar and acoustic strumming, although far from "Free Bird." The ambitious and pretentious hidden-track cover of Faith No More was ballsy, but I would expect nothing less. These guys have the balls to do so, and they did it. It did the song justice, with a bit of Atreyu-flair. Overall I say that it compares well to their other albums. It is nothing like them, in the fact that it stands as an older brother. Many Atreyu purists did not like Deathgrip, but I did. Going back and listening to their older albums and songs again, I can trace musical growth and changes. It isn't "Fractures" or "Suicide Notes" but it is still Atreyu. Like I have said, after 10 years, their sound has changed. The downside is, their lyrics have not. I would recommend this album, but with the disclaimer that Atreyu has in fact, gone major label. Their sound has changed. I will be listening to this album a lot on my Ipod and at work. // 8

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: MAXPAYNE4664, on august 31, 2007

Sound: Ok first things first, I've never listened to their Suicide Notes and Curse albums. So this means that you won't be seeing me comparing Lead Anchor Paper Sails to their first two albums. Anyways I thought Lead Anchor Paper Sails was pretty decent. I'm guessing that it'll eventually grow on me and I'll like it even more. But for the moment, it's a decent album. Now I read that Atreyu was going to change their sound and whatnot but I did not expect this. The album has less screaming than their previous stuff with more melodic singing from vocalist Alex Varkatzas. Drummer Brandon Saller still provides his vocals as well and they sounds good as always. Marc McKnight also screams in the album too. I thought his screaming improved from "A Death-Grip On Yesterday". Dan Jacobs and Travis Miguel are still as awesome as they were with the guitars. Shredding solos, heavy riffs, still good. Well the big change here in sound is obviously the vocals. They're not good, but not horrible either. But right now at the moment, I'm liking their direction of this. I know that a lot of the hardcore Atreyu fans hate it, but bands have to evolve and mature right? // 7

Lyrics: The Lyrics. One thing that I find Atreyu lacking are the lyrics. They focus too much on the love gone wrong thing. If you watch the documentary of The Making of the Album, Alex also mentions this too. So in this album, it seems like they have a song for everyone. Whether it's the anthem, fist in the air Honor, the poppy mainstream song Falling Down, or even the anger filled, filthy mouth, high testosterone Blow. Alex's melodic singing vocals aren't the best but they compliment the songs good enough for Atreyu's standard. But the small doses of screaming are used very effective in the songs that they're in such as When Two Are One and Lose It. Brandon is still the cream of the crop for the singing. He's good as always and probably at his finest in Lead Anchor Paper Sails. // 6

Overall Impression: You really can't compare this album to their previous ones. For other bands, the only thing that I find related is Alex's switch from screaming to melodic vocals and M. Shadows' similiar path. The most impressive songs for this album in my opinion Honor and Blow for sure. Seriously after listening to Honor, there is no way that you can't possibly have the anthemic Fight Fight Fight Until The Break Of Dawn stuck in your head! That song is definitely one of my favorites on the album. Blow's lyrics are just awesome. "So f--king blow those words out the back of your head. I heard it all and I'm done with that shit!" This song pretty much answers to the fans and critics that pan and dislike Atreyu. Also one more thing that I was impressed was their cover of Faith No More's Epic. Atreyu gave that song their own take of it and it worked! Better than their Bon Jovi cover, that's for sure. What I loved about the album is that the album still has the Atreyu vibe in the guitar's department. Brandon's vocals are still kicking ass. Alex trys something new with the vocals and it's not bad. Hopefully they'll improve in the next album. The bad stuff about the album is that some of the songs barely have screaming. Falling Down has a very poppy sound that I did not like but luckly there were some elements in the song that saved it from being complete crap. If I lost the album, I probably might buy it even if it's a decent album. // 7

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: ben_trivium, on september 21, 2007

Sound: Lead Sails Paper Anchor, what can I say? It's got an '80s hard rock sound with an Atreyu twist. The guitar solo's are better than ever, the baseline's are funkier then any other album, and the screaming isn't in your face. It's got a fresh feel to it as it's a completely new chapter in Atreyu's sound. They've pushed themselves even further. The album has really opened them up and showed what they can really do. For example Marc McKnight's basslines were often too shy and not very punchy, but on this album he lets himself loose and produces some really nice line's. This is so different from any other Atreyu album, but it's still pure gold. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in Lead Sails Paper Anchor are deeper than ever, and I feel more personal than what we've heard previously from Atreyu, at point's the lyrics can be very cliche but at the same time they have a feel to them that makes you think, and make you want more. The lyrics and the music blend together perfectly, the screaming is not so loud and noisy, but more melodic and smooth and this is great. I am personally a big fan of metal/screaming but it's a nice change from Alex and his usual screaming. He should be proud of his sound on this album. Brandon's clean and crisp vocals really add depth and true tone to this album. Overall they've really pushed the boundaries of their musical talent and it's amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Firstly, I'd like to say that I am a die hard Atreyu fan and I've been into this band for a very long time and they have molded my taste in music. Lead Sails Paper Anchor is completely different from any other Atreyu album, and there are many people who believe this is their worst album, but it's not. Give it a chance, listen to it a few times and you'll fall in love with it. As that's what I did. It's worth buying it just to add to your Atreyu collection. // 8

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: RG_FANMAN, on october 26, 2007

Sound: Pretty much any Atreyu fan has noticed that the band's sound has changed since their inception. From being a very back-to-basics metalcore group, to the now technicall refined (for the most part) band. First change noticable is the sound of the album: Alex no longer utilizes his signature scream as his main method of vocalization, but prefers either a gruff chanting, almost rap like style (Mike Patton anyone). Brandon still sings the way he used to, but if anything, his vocals have gotten better with age. Guitar wise: Dan and Travis have a super tight sound, some sweet '80s esque solos, but most of all some great riffs. Bass wise: Marc's gotten good! Usually the bassline in Atreyu music is kinda so-so, but he's gotten better, and has some wicked fills on the new album (listen to "Slow Burn," one of my favorite tracks on the album, and up the bass on your sound system a tad to hear it better). Drum wise: Brandon's drumming hasn't changed too-too much, but he's still got some great fills. Musicianship aside, the song structures are also different. The opener, Doomsday, is a straightfoward rocker. Second track, Honor, is a bit of an anthem-style song. Falling Down, the third track, is the first sign of something weird on the album. It starts off having this kinda swing style shuffle going on. For the chorus, it's pretty straightfoward, then goes back to the swing, etc. till the last part of the song during the final chorus: a brass section is added to the mix. At first, many of you probably said, "What? Brass in an Atreyu song? Sell out!" But I have to disagree. The song is definitely not their style, but it's a good song. The fourth track, Becoming the Bull, everyone's heard, so I'm not going to delve into that. The fifth track, When Two Become One, is a straight-up punk rocker. Lose It, the sixth track, starts out like a Bon Jovi song (acoustic guitar, westerny melody, think Wanted Dead or Alive), but delves into a harder chorus which also features one of the few times on the album Alex's usual screaming comes back into the picture. The track is followed by No One Cares, and is a bit more mellow than the other album tracks. Good song, but there's better. The big political song on the this album is the eighth track, Can't Happen Here, which is pretty much an anti-war song. In my humble opinion, it's a good song, but again, there's better on the album. The 9th track on the album (and surprisingly my favorite) is Slow Burn. The song has a bit of a dancey beat going to it, with some alt rock style chording in the verse, before it breaks into a more hard rock chorus. Completely different from most Atreyu songs out there, which is probably the main reason it's my favorite track on the album. After this is Blow, which features Josh Todd of Buckcherry fame. If you were to ever mix hair metal with hardcore, Blow is what would happen. Good song, incredibly different from other songs by the group, but this makes it really good. The closing track, Lead Sails (And a Paper Anchor) is an epic ballad that starts of with some incredibly unlikely yet still cool slide guitar. Definitely one of the great tracks on the album. There's one bonus track on every edition (or so I believe) and one that's UK specific. Based on the fact I have the American edition, I'll talk about the American Track. The bonus track is "epic," yes, epic, the Faith No More song. Structure wise, the song is the same, but Alex and Brandon's vocals add an incredibly edgier vibe to the song. Do I like it better than the original? Yes and No. Yes, because I feel slightly manlier headbanging to it, and No because... well, because Mike Patton's not singing! All in all, I love the sound of this album. Insanely unlike their other albums, but a damn good one. // 10

Lyrics: Atreyu lyrics are pretty standard throughout their albums; love, heartache, etc. Granted, on this album, Alex has written some deeper stuff, and even wrote about the war in Iraq. The rest of the lyrics on the album are alright, not amazing or life changing, but good. Based on the fact that none of the lyrics have really stuck in my mind super long (granted, this is just from listening to the album a lot), I'm marking it down a point. However, based on the fact that Atreyu jumped on the "Anti-War Song" bandwagon, and released an anti-war song, I'm marking them down a point. Don't get me wrong. This does not reflect my opinion of the war, nor does this say my opinion. The reason I'm marking it down is because, in my humble opinion, if they wanted to go political, there's a slew of topics to cover, not just the war; Darfur, North Korea, American Economy, etc. // 8

Overall Impression: I think the rest of my review summed up the album. It's insanely different from any other Atreyu album to date, but this makes it great (no rhyme intended). The only thing I wish the album was better in would be the lyric department, seeing as they're not that amazing. Now, a little forewarning: when purchasing this album, approach with an open mind. Don't go into this album thinking "How well will this compare to The Curse, or Deathgrip, or Suicide Notes?". Be open to the band exploring new ideas, new ways of writing, etc. Also, as a little heads up so that you don't think I'm a Top 40 Lover who listens to no other music, I listen to pretty much anything and everything: from Bach to Mozart to Tchaikovsky to Boston to Cream to Black Sabbath to Zepplin to Green Day to Steve Ray Vaughn to BB King to System of a Down to Carcass to Morbid Angel. I'll listen to anything, but on the condition that is actually sounds good. I've also been actively playing music sing I was seven (nearly a decade I've been immersed in music), and even before then my parents played a lot of music for me. So, granted I may be a teenager, consider my background in my opinion. I believe that this album is very good, and should be bought by a lot of people. I have no idea why this CD has a low rating... wait, I do; many of you don't listen to stuff with an open mind! Take the album in for what it is, not what the band used to be like. // 9

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2007

Sound: Atreyu have strayed off the metalcore path with their new album, and while it will surprise longtime fans, it's a good step up. Guitarists Dan Jacobs and Travis Miguel crank out eardrum-popping, airplane-soaring solos on tracks like "Blow", "When Two Are One", and "Doomsday." The latter, written about the death of Alex Varkatzas' grandfather, kicks in with a rhythmic melody. "Honor" sports a mean groove, while "Falling Down" incorporates a rockin' jazz solo. "Becoming the Bull" storms in. One only wonders why Atreyu favor a more mainstream sound (evident on "Slow Burn"), but they stick to what they believe in. Besides pedal steel guitars and a Turkish saz, this album's a rocker. // 9

Lyrics: Frontman Alex Varkatzas steps up to sing, instead of his trademark screaming. The only evident screaming resides on the lead-in of "When Two Are One," and it sounds more like Silverstein, and on the bonus, "Epic." His writing isn't "I-hate-the-world" so much anymore, it's more to the tune of "Who-am-I-what-should-I-be?" The lyrics are definitely more straightforward. The lyrics mesh well with the music. Varkatzas holds his own, in the studio, but its drummer Brandon Saller's powerful pipes that kick in and beat the living crap out of anything within a ten-mile distance. His choruses and help on verses pull everything together, sort of a "rhythym singer." // 7

Overall Impression: This album sounds akin to Avenged Sevenfold's new eponymous album, with Atreyu's album more thrashy. A7X's new CD is more organized. My personal favorites include tracks 1-7 and 9-12. The only blemish is a live disappointment and a bad eighth track. I would buy this again, though I held off on buying it for a while. If you want a blow-your-brains-out record with some variety, pick up Lead Sails Paper Anchor. // 9

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: frankibo, on december 10, 2007

Sound: This album is nowhere near as heavy as the last albums. There is a lot less screaming, and lead vocalist Alex Varkatzas instead decides he'll sing a lot more. Although this sounds okay on CD it doesn't work as well live because, guess what, he can't sing. Screamers should stay screamers. Brandon Saller still sounds great and bassist Marc McKnight's extra screams are a nice touch. Although I love Atreyu, they seem to have a habit of reusing the same writing techniques. Quite a few songs are written in the same format, too many songs have all instruments but one removed at the beginning of the last chorus (which is cool the first few times, gets kinda repetitive and un-epic after a whole album full of it) and Brandom Saller sings a bit of the last chorus higher in about 4 songs. On top of thios there aren't really any amazing riffs, although there are some cool solo, the one in When Two Are One is immense. I won't go into much detail about these songs, you're better off listening for yourself. I'll just give you my quick opinion. 01. Doomsday - good opener and was good live, but I find the chorus annoying. You'll find out I'm easily annoyed the once you read this review. 02. Honor - I'm undecided about this song, I guess it's okay. Has a catchy riff. 03. Falling Down - just annoying pop. Go home Atreyu. 04. Becoming The Bull - not a bad song, but not a great one. The layout of this song is similar to Doomsday, and they released them both as singles. Which annoyed me. 05. When Two Are One - possible the best song on the album. fast paced and in your face with a killer breakdown and face melting solo. 06. Lose It - one of the better moments on this album, and it was even better live. It's actually a really good song. Nice clean guitar in the verses. 07. No-One Cares - noone should care about this song. it's just annoying and cheesy. 08. Can't Happen Here - finally some full on screaming. And in an amazing song as well. there's something political going on here. 09. Slow Burn - kinda odd and dancey. I didn't mind it at first but it got old quickly. 10. Blow - you'll either love it or you'll hate it. Either way Josh Todd is an idiot. 11. Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor) - although not conventional Atreyu this song is amazing and beautiful, one of the best off the album. Worryingly possibly The best song. 12. Epic - anything but epic to be honest. 13. Clean Sheets - just steer clear of this, it's just as well it's pretty hard to find on the Internet. It'll just assault your ears and make you want to kill yourself. I hope they were stoned when they came up with the idea of covering this. Or held at ransom. Although I've complained a lot and this album isn't really outstanding at any point overall it seems to work well and is entertaining. Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor) is amazing, you shoudl really give it a listen. // 8

Lyrics: In general the lyrics are good, there are some bits where every emo kid hears it and puts it straight in there screen name and others where you just wanna walk away and cry cause it was so cheesy. The lyrics go well with the music and suit the album, and the change between melodic singing and harsh vocals works well, it always has for Atreyu. As I've already said Alex Varkatzas sounds okay on the album when he sings, but he doesn't live. Brandon Saller is an amazing singer and I love his voice, he really makes some of the songs. The bassists added screams really make some areas feel a lot heavier and massive. // 7

Overall Impression: In my opinion this album isn't as good as Death-Grip or the Curse. I prefer Atreyu's heavier side. I don't know many albums that sound like this one. The best songs on this album are probably When Two Are One, Lose It, Can't Happen Here and Lead Sails (And A Paper Anchor). I couldn't really put my finger on anything about this album I love or anything I hate. I guess the annoying poppiness in parts is a bit irritating. If this album was stolen I'd probably buy it again, it is good. Just not amazing. // 7

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: Rock_Rebel, on june 09, 2008

Sound: To me, this is the band's best work yet, a great, catchy yet unique album. It sounded different in ways to their previous work, but Atreyu have definately not succumbed genre change as many bands these days have. Amazing guitar riffs, solid drum lines and a great backbone of bass combined with Alex Varkatzas' powerful voice makes for a greatly enjoyable album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent, they tell a great story all the way through, and Alex Varkatzas' voice is truly amazing, as per usual. Atreyu have put forth some very meaningful lyrics, that tie extremely well with each song, making each track sound radically different to the last. // 9

Overall Impression: I find that Falling Down is my favourite song off the album. It is a great listen, I couldn't get sick of it! I haven't found anything to dislike about this album, everything is just so great! I would definately, no questions buy this again if it were stolen. // 10

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: Mr. Skull, on june 23, 2008

Sound: It seems that another metal beast has caved and sold out to go mainstream. Switching over from the early, good days where it was all scream and a little singing, they've become just another crappy alternative/emo band! Gone are the days of angry bellowing and fast, dark riffs, instead, they sound like everything from freakin reggae to emo, to horrible poser metal. Dan is still wicked on his explorer, but the progressions just aren't as dark as they were back in the day. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics were no good at all. with only one song (blow) that reminded me of the angry, wrathful atreyu I fell in love with. Just pathetic. No one cares? What kind of lame sad-sack junk are they trying to sell. also too much of them trying to be upbeat and having a positive look on life. Alex makes a decent effort at singing, because he certainly doesn't scream, and brandon is very good as usual, but what they are singing about is no longer meaningful, it's just sub-par alternative. bad form, bad form. // 1

Overall Impression: Easily their worst offering to date, not even comparing to The Curse, Suicide Notes..., or Death Grip. I did, however enjoy the faith no more cover at the end, and, as previously stated, blow. Lost, I wouldn't notice, stolen, they got the worse end of the deal. // 4

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: TriKef, on august 01, 2008

Sound: This is a different Atreyu then from "Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses" (their first album.) Their lead singer Alex Varkatzas have ditch the low pitch (he screams a little bit, but not where it count) screaming/growling that the band used in contrast with drummer Brandon Saller singing with an rougher voice to do the hell/heaven verses and chorus. The band signed with Hollywood Records (Plain White T's, Jonas Brothers)and their sound have suffer in my opion. But this sound is more direct towards to newer fans that they hope to get. Not saying anything, but I think it was the records company idea. So lets get started. Most of the songs in the CD has some sort of little intro. Some of these intros are dumb because they do nothing with the song while others is a riff or beat that is being used through out the song. "When Two Are One" is a song that has sharp clean intro that is used mid way through the song but it doesn't help set the mood of the song. It only tricks the listern to think this would be a ballad. The bands guitarists does come up with acouple of original riffs like "Becoming the Bull" and "Slow Burn." But other tracks feels like fillers such as "No One Cares." Being a fan because of "A Death-Grip On Yesterday" and going back to listen to older records, this sound does turn away old fans. Both "The Curse" and "A Death-Grip" was a lot better sounding as far as guitars, bass, and drums goes. This sound feels like the band half ass it with only "Falling Down" and "Becoming the Bull" the most interest tracks. // 6

Lyrics: Lets start off with the screaming. There is barely any compare to past records. Alex Varkatzas sings in this record more then any other. When screaming is heard, it usually is a high pitched scream that someone else in the band does which makes me wonder what use do they now have with Alex if Brandon does most of the chorus and does someimes takes over verses? Brandon is propably one of the better drummer/singer out there today (yes, I think he is better then Underoath's Aaron Gillespie.)His voice carries the songs to where they are needed to be to make them a good song. As for lyrics, songs like "Becoming the Bull," "Honor," "Doomsday," and "Slow Burn" makes this interesting to listen to. But the song that made me ashamed was "Blow." This is like when Suicidal Tendices released "Suicidal for Life" as to show the band was still underground and the same old band. Like them, Atreyu foregot what the fans really loved, the screaming of Alex. We don't care how much he says the f word, as long as he is screaming it. But before you go saying: "Screaming hurts his voice now more then ever." Ask someone who has "Lead Sail and Paper Anchor 2.0" and listen to their cover of Faith No More's "Epic." Alex screams rap this song and sings it also in the chorus. This track is the best one I love out of this album. // 7

Overall Impression: What Atreyu's career has gone through is similar to what Avenged Sevenfold's has gone through: a screamo album: Atreyu, "Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses." A7X "Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet"(granted, "Warmness of the Soul" and "Streets" were not screamo). Amazing second album: Atreyu, "The Curse." A7X, "Waking the Fallen." Solid third album: Atreyu "A Death-Grip on Yesterday." A7X "City of Evil And the fan spliting fourth album; A7X self titled. This album has loss older fans and made more fans hate the record company.(what metal punk band signs with a Dinsey owned record company). Older fans now more then ever will have a death grip on yesterdays Atreyu albums where Alex screams more in "The Theft" then most of the songs on the newer album. While newer fans have to watch where they say "I'm an Atreyu fan but I only have 'Lead Sails and Paper Anchors,'" for the fact that you may piss a couple of older fans off. If a newer fan, go listen to "The Curse" to listen to a great Atreyu album. If a older fan, lets hope Atreyu goes to Roadrunner records or somewhere else then Hollywood Records. This album to me doesn't impress me, it just dissapoints me now that the band have lose its edge. If it was stolen, I wouldn't mind just because it is not a great album and it is already on my computer. Bottom line: This isn't a great album. Borrow it, don't buy. "Lead Sails and Paper Anchor 2.0" is only good depending on your computer to get the bounse content off the cd. And newer fans, DO NOT BUY "The Best of Atreyu." That will not help you! // 6

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: Drool_Mouse, on september 04, 2008

Sound: Atreyu has had since the beginning, a unique sound of it's own. It has always fit into a metalcore style, yet seemed to stand out against a lot of generic metalcore bands. With this album, a newer sound comes from the band. It has almost a pop type of sound, while remaining true to it's metal roots. And the new sound is creative and original. It's not a cookie-cutter album, each song is it's own. // 10

Lyrics: I would say that Alex's ability to write lyrics, as well as scream and sing them, has greatly increased on this album. It started on "A Death grip on Yesterday" and has arrived here. The lyrics are sung beautifully and the screams are just the right touch, not obnoxiously over-present, but still there, adding in the metalcore roots into a newer style of creativity for Atreyu. // 9

Overall Impression: "Lead Sails Paper Anchor" compares well against Atreyu's previous work. Most every song on the album has something that connects the sound to their older style, but connects outwards into a new place, which is excellent. Why release the same thing over and over again? That'd be boring, and Atreyu know it. Notable songs on this album are: "Doomsday," "Falling Down," "When Two Become One," and "Blow." The cover of the song "Epic" is pretty good too, not the best cover ever, but still, entertaining. There really isn't a whole lot of things to dislike about this album, but the expansion of style and skill on this album is amazing, and inspiring. Songs which can stand on their own, while reminiscent of old songs, still have a new taste to them. // 9

Lead Sails Paper Anchor Reviewed by: MatrixClaw, on august 13, 2013

Sound: The opening track "Doomsday" definitely starts the album off with a punch. It's more akin to the older Atreyu albums, but with a more thrashy, '80s feel. More aggressive shouting than screaming on this one, with a familiar sounding sung chorus. Overall, a song that's pretty easy to get into, not the best on the album, but good! "Honor" is one of the more unique off the album; Alex's vocals remind me of something you'd hear in hardcore punk, definitely a divergence from his old sound. I didn't like it at first, but it's definitely a matured sound. "Falling Down" is one of my favorites off the album. It's got a cool vibe to it that makes you want to move to the beat. It's got that "big chorus" sound to it. "Becoming the Bull" is the first single off this album and probably my least favorite song. I find the whole song to just sound too familiar and overdone. Nothing really unique about it. "When Two Are One" is another great one. Very '80s. Fantastic lead work with an awesome half-time chorus. Overall, badass. "Lose It" is probably my favorite "heavy" Atreyu song ever written. It's the heaviest on the album, but has a nice mix of "calm" in the verses, that builds up to an awesome chorus. Alex's screams are at his best here and the chorus is one of the catchiest I've heard. Love it. "No One Cares" I could never really get in to. It's not that it's bad, I do quite like the sound of it, it's just too slow to follow up "Lose It." "Can't Happen Here" is another one I'm not big on. I do REALLY enjoy the vocal melody on the chorus, but the rest of the song I could live without; not Alex's best work here. "Slow Burn" has a cool vibe to it, reminds me a lot of their older songs, at least on the sung vocal parts. Gets kind of monotonous after a while, though. "Blow" I LOVE! Great '80s vibe to it that I just love listening to. It's a nice "F--k You" to the music business. A great message to all the haters of this album, and a song that really pays tribute to them completely changing their sound on this album and not caring if you like it or not. Love it. "Lead Sails (And a Paper Anchor)" is the perfect closing to this album. Far and above my favorite Atreyu song ever written, and one of my favorite songs, period. Such a beautiful song with an awesome buildup. Can't really say more about this one, it's perfect. As far as perfection is concerned, this album is a HUGE step up from anything before it. It has a very polished and professional sound. Older albums were very low and low-mid heavy, this one is much more balanced, with crunchier and clearer guitars. I tried listening to some older Atreyu the other day and I really couldn't stand it. The overall sound of those albums was gross. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics on this album seem to be much more thought out than others before. Atreyu used to sing about death, hate, sadness, etc. You know... Generally "emo" stuff, which is why this band was classified in that genre to begin with. This is the first album where I've actually ever noticed Alex's singing (maybe he just didn't sing much before, but man... I LOVE his singing, more so than Brandon's). This album uses a lot more metaphors and the overall lyrical content is much more deep and heartfelt. They make you think. Alex's screams didn't impress me on this album at first. Before, he had a much heavier feel, but now that I've gone back and listened to the older albums, it's very evident that this album marked a HUGE change in vocal technique, for the better. Before, his vocals were gargled together and very unrefined. You couldn't understand his lyrics at all. His vocals on this album are much clearer and very well suited to the music. I really can't even listen to their older stuff anymore, because his vocals back then kill it for me. Interestingly enough, it's his vocals on this album that initially made me dislike it! // 8

Overall Impression: This is actually a follow-up to a review I wrote for this album 5 years ago. In 2007 when this CD came out, I was pretty disappointed in the change of sound from Atreyu's previous albums and seem to have been pretty bitter about it. Since then, my musical tastes have matured, and this has become one of my favorite albums in my collection. Not only did it mark a maturing for the band, but also for the genre. The guitar work on this album is fantastic and the vocal melodies are just as good. The intro riff to "Blow" is often one of the things I play on a new guitar and is still one of my favorite songs to jam out to with my musician friends. It's high energy and just a ton of fun to play. "Lose It" is one of my favorite songs Atreyu has ever written and I can't help but sing (or scream) along to it. The song has such an intensity that really helps assert a climax to the album. The title track, "Lead Sails (And a Paper Anchor)" is quite possibly one of my favorite songs ever. The vocal melodies are masterfully written and the whole song just has a vibe to it that most bands will never pull off. This song is so good, that I could listen to it on repeat and still rock out to it after an hour. Overall, this album is simply fantastic. While it does have a few tracks that I don't really like (which is pretty saddening, considering most all of them were the singles off this album), the underlying songs that weren't played on the radio are great. It's a shame "Lose It" was never a single, because I think Atreyu would have a much larger following today if it was.

// 8

More Atreyu reviews rating latest review
+ Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses 8.8 07/11/2011