Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Review

8.8
 8.7
 8.8
Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Reviewed by: Horvat, on november 28, 2005

Sound: What can I say, Atreyu have definitely improved their sound a lot on this CD compared to their previous two albums. The guitars are flawless, the drum work has improved greatly, and vocals are (to much relief) a lot better! One thing you will notice straight away is that the riffs are much cooler and catchier (take the song "Deanne The Arsonist" for example), and that the songs are structured a whole lot better. Sound-wise, everything has improved, which is great to see from this band. Before, their songs were a bit wild and crazy, but now they've matured a bit and the tracks off Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses are more serious and professional. // 8

Lyrics: One of the things that make Atreyu stand out are the vocals. They have two vocalists; Alex, the screamer, and Brandon, the singer (and drummer as well). Alex has a unique scream, kind of a half-growl half-yell, and on this album it is good to hear that he has refined it a lot more, as it seems to sound more natural and less 'put-on'. The way the two share roles on the album is another example of how much more mature the band has become - their seems more stucture and organisation to the way they both add vocals to the songs. Lyrics-wise, things are a bit more serious this time compared to their first album, Visions. When I say serious, I mean that kind of emo-ish seriousness (though it does seem to go well with the melodic guitar work in the background). "I wish I could stop crying. And I wish that someone still loved me." The corny kind of lyrics are probably one of the only flaws on the album though. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses is a pretty solid release from Atreyu. It is not the best, but it is certainly a good listen. Compared to their previous album's, it is a vast improvement to say the least. Things are much more professionally done on this CD than before, from the way the instruments are played to the way the songs have been produced. The only minor flaws are the emo lyrics, and that a few songs are filler. Tracks to check out are "Dilated," "A Vampire's Laments," "Lip Gloss And Black" and "At Least I Know I'm A Sinner." If you like metalcore that kind of borders on hardcore punk, you will like this CD. If it was stolen, I would probably buy it again. But I'd rather get The Curse, their even more recent album, which is a lot better. // 7

Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Reviewed by: fredzeskater, on september 22, 2007

Sound: This album is totally mind blowing! It's definately one of my favourites, although it only contains 10 songs. 'A Song For The Optimists', what a great song. This isn't the best song by Atreyu, but it's enough to really prepare you for the rest of the album! I really like the sound that Atreyu create; A really heavy and thick sound, with guitarist Dan Jacobs' beautiful, soothing tunes and solos. I think that that comination is just amazing. In this album, they also sound really unprofessional, which is one of the key reasons I like Atreyu so much. 'Living Each Day Like Your Already Dead' has the same tune as 'Atleast I Know I'm A Sinner' except it sounds horrible, I mean what a rip off. 'Living each day like your already dead' is competing with the 'Epic' cover for the worst song in the entire history of Atreyu! // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically, 'Atleast I Know I'm A Sinner' and 'Lip Gloss And Black' are the best songs on this disc. 'Atleast I Know I'm A Sinner' is definately the most powerful song I have ever listened to that is about the christianity faith. I think the song's lyrics are immense, how they get so much feelings and hatred through to the listener in just 3 verses and a 3 chorus', it's just such great song. "Judge me, f--k you!", this line is great, battling with "We were given this life to live, not exist under standards set by some bullshit rulebook" for the best line of the song. 'Lip gloss and black', I love what Alex was saying in this song, that he loves someone so much, that he will carry them with a broken back and blown out knees. That's really saying something! He can really project so much love and so many other feelings in simple words, it's so talented. "Live, love, burn and die" is the best way to define the lives we live, how did they even manage to write this! I seriously admire Alex for writing these lyrics, and the guitarist for writing the solo. // 8

Overall Impression: Now, 'Lip Gloss And Black'. Oh my god. This song, I can't even describe it, I just love everything about it, the intro, the screaming, the chorus "Aren't you tired of being weak?", the piano and the incredible guitar solo! What else does this song need? It has to be most certainly one of, or possibly the best songs my ears have ever heard. it's definately the best Atreyu song so far. The ending with the piano was so beautiful, Then, sadly the album ended with a crackling sound just like it started with before 'A song for the optimists'. Honestly, If there wasn't a few let down songs, such as 'Living each day like your already dead', this album would be so close to a perfection in the entire music industry. // 9

Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Reviewed by: deftones17, on march 29, 2004

Sound: "Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses" is an emotionally charged fusion of screaming metallic hardcore and catchy breakdowns. Screaming backdrops from singer Alex Varkatzas pierce the beat along with drummer/singer Brandon Saller, who provides excellent harmony with his lighter chorus singing. Every song is a very worthy effort, each offering their own unique stab at hardcore/metal. Although Atreyu likes to play it dark and rough, there are much lighter tones in several areas of the album. "Lip Gloss and Black", for instance, is a non-stop dynamic hardcore song. In the end, though, melodic piano cuts in and slows it down a bit. Then the appregio-driven solo in the end breaks in and sends the listener into music bliss. For Atreyu to introduce such a harsh change from styles is ballsy to say at the least. It only shows the growth of the band as a true, mature Southern California band. All in all, the drums and two guitars are very technical at times (easily heard by the finger-tapping in some songs). But at the same time, the music can be very "pretty." // 10

Lyrics: Being hardcore and all, it would be pretty pointless to write much about the overwhelming, breath-taking lyrics Alex lashes out. Why? Because it's not all cut and dry. Sure, a lot of it is understandable and you can get the general drift of the point of the song. I feel that the style and progression of the drums/bass/guitars give the feeling and vibe of the songs. Not to say the lyrics aren't awesome, either. To listen to Alex scream his heart out (which he does very well) is quite and experience and will give off a vibe like no other. Although I think Atreyu wouldn't be Atreyu without Alex Varkatzas, I still think the singing by drummer Brandon Saller is without a doubt the best as far as lyrics go. He cleans up any shabbiness Alex leaves behind. They lyrics correlate with the music very well. How do you rate the lyrics then? Atreyu's lyrics are great for that type of music, but I feel for any other genre, their lyrics wouldn't be so great. Overall, I personally give it a four. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to other bands of the same genre, Atreyu simply kicks ass! Other people have told me to listen to some other bands because they are kind of like Atreyu, and they just don't measure up! Atreyu seems to have a true love for what they do, and the fact that they come from Southern California is just plain out kick ass! Being a local fan of theirs, and seeing them live, I just have to give it up for Atreyu. If you ever see them live, you'll be blown away. Other bands really just can't do shit live. I love alot about this album. It's an excellent first album by Atreyu. The only really truly bad thing about their music is it can be short at times, and you wish the songs could go on just a bit longer. The CD is worth getting if you like emotional music. The vibe will carry you into several deep thoughts about life, relationships, friends, love, hate, and all sorts of emotions. If you've just heard of Atreyu, a good start of giving them a try is to get their music video of Lip Gloss and Black. I figure, if you like that, you'll love Atreyu. // 10

Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on april 16, 2004

Sound: I would describe Atreyu as more of a metalcore band than anything, with hints of hardcore and also a lot of emotion, with the kind of lyrics you would expect from a straight emo band. More often than not, you get dark, low chords forming the base of the music, with intricate solos over the top. Both guitarists are competent and the sound is usually very good. There are occasions when particular songs don't work, but that's only because some of the tracks are very similar. However, if you overlook this you get a very simple, but effective sound, with plenty of unexpected changes, both in sound and tempo. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emotional, and resemble those of bands like A Static Lullaby and From Autumn To Ashes. They generally tell stories of love and loss, and darker things like death. It's a very aggressive approach, but one that is done very well here. The vocals on most tracks are very good, however some of the screaming is more of a growl and SOMETIMES this lets it down. The singing, although rare, is also great, and the two blend together very well. // 10

Overall Impression: This really is a great album, and one that I strongly recommend to fans of A Static Lullaby, From Autumn To Ashes and any other kind of emotional hardcore bands like that. At first, I found the style a bit inaccessible, as I did with From Autumn To Ashes, but it really grows on you after only a couple of listens. Each song is well structured and this has quickly become one of my favourite albums. The best songs, for me, have to "A Song For The Optimists", "Deanne The Arsonist", "Dilated" and of course "Lip Gloss And Black", the epic finale that rounds of a brilliant album with the haunting chant "Live. Love. Burn. Die". This is an album that grabs you by the throat and screams at you until you understand - leaves you eagerly waiting for more. Bring on "The Curse". // 10

Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2004

Sound: No one plays in such a melodic yet heavy way as atreyu does, two guitarists, two vocalists, one bassist, and one drummer shred like no other. This definitly isnt your average emo, this is metal and brutal shit at that. The guitar is incredible on every song but most notably on my personal favorite songs, Dilated, and Lip Gloss and Black. The way the lead singer screams and growls and the drummer/vocalist softly sings together with him sounds awsome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are incredible, rarely have I seen better lyrics writing. here are some examples from a song called A Song for the Optimists: "I watched my aspirations crash into the ground, on the backs of the angles that I've slain / But I meant so well and tried so hard, gave every ounce of my soul. To what end?" And from the song titled Tulips are Better: "Crystal Clear, I see the rose is frail / The thorns hid easily in its beauty / As I go to grasp it in my hand, my heart is torn beating from my chest" And another exerpt, this time from Lip Gloss and Black: "If I gave you pretty enough words, could you paint a picture of us that works, an emphasis on function, rather than design. Aren't you tired? Cause I'll carry you, on a broken back and blown out knees, I have been where you are. for a while. Arent you tired of being weak, such rage that you could scream all the stars right out of the sky. and destroy the prettiest starry night every evening that I die. alone." // 10

Overall Impression: This is Atreyu's first full lenght album, but they're third recording, they've recorded two EPs in the past but this marks the first time theyve put a real album out and it rocks. The lyrics may be emo but the music is metal and thats what counts. The only dissapointment is that it's very short clocking in at about 45 minutes, not to bad but I hate to see great ablums end fast. They're sophomore release comes out june 04 and if its anywhere near as good as this then go out and buy it the day it comes out, but while you wait, pick up Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses by Atreyu. // 8

Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Reviewed by: justinsturek, on october 03, 2005

Sound: Atreyu is a very hardcore band but for them to have classicle piano intros and classical solos was very relaxing, on top of that have such melodic finger tapping methods. Most of the songs were related to women or relationships, examples are Lipgloss And Black is about a brake up that alex exagerated and same thing with aint love grande but the brake up wasnt his in aint love grand, it was his frends and some lines from the song are takin right from there conversdation. Tulips are better is analagy betwween a rose and a pretty girl, the analagy is that both look apealing but have thorns underneath thus tulips are better because they have no thorns. There style is emo screamo harcore. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics I could connect to through experiences in life I have had. The lyrics go with the music concidering there music for alot of songs has more of a dark effect when you listen to it. Alex Varkatzas is an extremely good singer but Bredan Saller (drummer) his melodic vocals are way better than alex's, they add a erie sence of balance to there music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best CD I have ever herd next to 2 pantera ones and the next Atreyu CD the curse. The most impressive songs on the album are Ain't Love Grand, Tulips Are Better, and Lipgloss And Black. I love the album I hate how there is only 10 songs on it. It was lost and I'm going to buy another tomorow. // 10

Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Reviewed by: Thebiz, on april 29, 2008

Sound: Atreyu has always been well known for their unique blend of sound. Alex's soaring, painfully emotional screams coupled with Bradon's killer drum beats and Dan Jacobs and Travis Miguel's punk-metal guitar riffs are most likely what landed them to be signed to Victory Records for this debut. The sound is brilliant on the record, if you like the sounds of under-produced records. Think Megadeth's "Peace Sells" or Death's "Scream Bloody Gore" in terms of quality. With this being said, the riffs made and songs written are absolutely brilliant. Though it is only a debut album, it was a step in the right direction for the band at the time. Songs like Tulips Are Better, Lip Gloss And Black, A Song For The Optimists, and Ain't Love Grand are still considered classics from the band today, and are the main highlights of the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are an acquired taste, mostly for the teenage audience, myself included. Most of them (with the exception of At Least I Know I'm A Sinner, which is about religion) have to do with heartache. You almost wonder what the hell the woman Alex is constantly crying about did to him. His lyrics make the situation sound terrible and tragic. But I guess that's what they were going for. On this album, Brandon's singing wasn't very melodic, but his voice still helped carry the songs. Alex's screaming however, was very throaty, and you could hear his voice crackle and give out during screams often. This would become a problem solved in later releases, however. // 7

Overall Impression: All in all, this is one of Atreyu's best albums. The instruments are well done, but the vocals could use some work. If you want more from Atreyu, I suggest getting the Curse, as it is, overall, their best album. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again. // 8

Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses Reviewed by: rob_shadow, on july 11, 2011

Sound: I recently downloaded this album on iTunes, It caught my interest to hear Atreyu's earlier material. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the raw and stand alone sound of "Suicide Notes And Butter Kisses". The guitar's not as much complicated as just plain heavy, this works fairly well to go with the ideas and concepts of the songs. Not a lot is greatly different for the drums, bass and percussion on album, Not anything special but defiantly up to standard. // 7

Lyrics: The vocals are what impressed me most in this record, singer Alex Varkatzas has far more raw emotion and powerful lyrical writing on this record than any of the other albums they have made. Nearly every song on the record has obvious powerful emotional intent behind it. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I would say defiantly one of Atreyu's better albums, far better than the follow up, "The Curse". Every song on the album is full of raw emotional power, from the bleak words of "A Song For The Optimists", to the anger filled "At Least I Know I'm A Sinner". // 8

More Atreyu reviews rating latest review
+ Congregation Of The Damned 7.8 11/04/2009