Audioslave Review

audioslave: Audioslave
Released: Nov 19, 2002
Genre: Post-Grunge, Alternative Rock
Label: Epic
Number Of Tracks: 14 This project was definitly different than the other things every member has done.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.1
 9.2
Audioslave Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 09, 2006

Sound: The first album of an unbelievable band. A band with influences of Soundgarden and a punch from Rage Against The Machine. The album has alot to offer. With a unique rock/hard rock or rather an audioslave genre, this album has revived the fallen glory of rock. The track Like A Stone has possibly the simplest tunes with insane effects making it what it is perfect. The album is great on all grounds, if you want to know what would be a perfect rock album to start off with this is a must have. // 9

Lyrics: Brilliant lyrics, the lyrics of like a stone are the best lyrics I've heard out of the modern bands. Great, absolutely simple music perfected by a voice of class. Tom Morello's solos aren't as great as his ones in rage against the machine but great effects. The ex soundgarden singer has done a decent job, his voice blends with the music. The lyrics are the reason one should buy this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good album on the whole the best track in this album is Like A Stone. Apart from that Cohise, Show Me How To Live and Shadow On The Sun are pretty good. The rest of the album is quite ordinary. This is a fanatastic album and a must buy for rock lovers. I'd say it isn't the greatest album but better than have the junk produced nowdays. // 9

Audioslave Reviewed by: duncang, on september 06, 2005

Sound: So, Audioslave are here. Rage Against The Machine was destroyed by Zack de la Rocha in 2000, and we thought we would never see them again, what a load of shit we were thinking, they are back, with Chris Cornell of Soundgarden taken along for the ride. The sound is very much Rage in the first 3 songs, but clearly isnt, as you can tell from the intro to "Show Me How To Live." I am a sucker to Tom Morello riffs, so anything which has something like that I will love. So I don't particularly enjoy The Last Remaining Light or Getaway Car, but I Am The Highway has something about it which brings you in, and wants you to keep listening. // 10

Lyrics: First of all, I think Chris Cornell is one of the greatest singers to have been in rock music, but the lyrics sometimes seem to be very random, but coming from a mature-sounding voice, they sound more deep and meaningful. Some of the lyrics do fit perfectly with the music, such as the chorus to Set It Off, but overall, this can never compare to Zack de la Rocha. // 6

Overall Impression: This is the best album to come from a supergroup ever. Yes, better than Velvet Revolver. The best songs are Cochy, Show Me How To Live, Set It Off and I Am The Highway. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: jimbojohnson, on july 21, 2006

Sound: Tom Morello guitaring was just friggin amazing. Every tab and every note was perfect. He really played the hell out of that guitar. Tim was truly sweet on bass the bass mixed very well with the guitar. Even though Tim and Tom were sweet, Brad Wilk is just the man who puts it all together. Together the 3 make the album truly a great one. It's pretty obvious they're good if they were from Rage Against The Machine. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics by Chris Cornell were clear and meaningful. The messages all made sense from one verse to the other. Very intersting and unique lyrics fit in with the music so well and not only that but Chris Cornell (coming from Soundgarden) is a very talented singer. // 9

Overall Impression: You need to check out this album no doubt about it. I may only be 14 but I know a good album when I hear one. The thing I love about this album is that there's a wicked guitar solo in every song. The best album I own. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2006

Sound: In 2000, one of the most influential and original bands in history, Rage Against the Machine, was destroyed. The producer Rick Rubin, in his infinite wisdom, had a brilliant idea: why not combine this historically potent and talented band (the remnants of RATM) together with a singer that can bring to the surface a new dimension in the style of RATM. After trying a few freelancers and has-beens, he stumbled upon struggling ex-Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell. What at first didn't seem like anything more than just another attempt turned into magic when the 4 musicians entered the studio together. After churning out 8 or so songs under the assumed band title The Civilian Project, Rick (again in his infinite wisdom) decided to get the band's name out. After a brief debacle with a small-time British band over the band's title, they resolved to go ahead and name the band Audioslave. Enough music history. The powerful explosiveness that was practically invented by RATM is still very evident in htis album. The creative talent and style of Chris Cornell is equally displayed. There are several songs that are essentially the style of one former band being accompanied by the other (Set It Off and Exploder are both very RATM, and Shadow on the Sun and Last Remaining Light are very Soundgarden-ish), but special co-writing chemistry is prevalent in songs like the first 5 of them (in different ways): Cochise, Show Me How to Live, Gasoline, and What You Are have the same basic pentatonic hard rock feel, and Like A Stone is one of the simplest-yet-most-original songs of rock history. Compositionally, the album is arranged well too, with an explosive beginning in the first 3 tracks, slowing suddenly with tracks 4 and 5, then getting hard again for two more tracks, and then allowing the true creativeness begin to show for the rest of the album. Track 12, Light My Way, is rather out of place, but oh well. Morello's always distinct playing is perforated by periods of ingenuity, not just in his solos, but in his decision for tonal quality in the non-RATM-like songs in the album. Commerford's perfect backup, along with his now-signature distortion sound, allows the more "musically-oriented" (rather than adrenaline-oriented) band play full sounding songs without a second guitar, which is a commonly overlooked element of the band. Wilk's drumming is somewhat sedated in this album compared to his previous and later albums, but the very rhythmic feel of the band is due almost entirely to him (Show Me How To Live, mostly the intro - one of the most kick-ass plodding riffs ever written). Cornell's vocal tone matches surprisingly well with the band's other musicians, as well as varying enough to keep it interesting. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Cornell, never lax in his lyrical genius, is at it again after a rather unsuccessful try at being a solo artist (ever heard of "Euphoria Morning"? didn't think so). His very usual yet never unoriginal style comes at you hard sometimes (Set It Off), and softly others (Getaway Car), but it always makes an impact. Chris's talent is indubutable. I consider him one of the best voices in rock history, and probably the best in current rock. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of those albums that you can listen to over and over again and never get bored of. It is also great to listen to from start to finish, as the songs flow together quite well. Cochise is one of those songs that makes me just wanna beat the crap out of someone. When I've had my time on this earth and I have a choice on how I go out, I'm goin out in the most awesome car crash you've ever seen listening to Gasoline. I overall consider this album to be my favorite ever, so for good reason, I recommend it to everyone. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: Lexani_14, on october 24, 2003

Sound: This Cd picks up where Rage Against The Machine left off. Free from the political views of Zack De La Rocha, the band can now focus all their energy into their music. By picking up Chris Cornell from Soundgarden, Audioslave has a powerful singer, with deep lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the songs are the perfect fit for Audiolslave. Chris Cornell and Tom Morello did a good job writing songs for this bands music style. All of the lyrics seem to fit into the melody really good. Singer skills are something audioslave aquired when they picked up Chris Cornell. His powerful voice rises above the music and gets the point across. // 10

Overall Impression: Even though I thought Rage Against The Machine was a dope band, I think Zack's voice would go better with a more heavy band. On this cd, Tom Morello is up to his usual stuff. This guy is the king of effects. I love the blend of sounds, solos, lyrics, but I wish that the bass player would play more slap bass like before. This is the first Cd I have bought in like 2 months, so it's definately worth buying. Every song on it is good, and it refelcts what Audioslave is all about. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: SRV_PRS, on october 24, 2005

Sound: Seeing as RATM and Soundgarden were both great bands one would would have high hopes for an album for this type of super-group and would not be disappointed. Audioslave shows the versatility of Chris Cornell and the other RATM members to combine components of the music they play and make the sound that is audioslave. Slow songs such as "Getaway Car" and "I Am The Highway" mark the first and great slow song ever done by the members of Rage "Getaway Car" and "I Am The Highway" Audioslave is a must have for anyone into Cornell or alternative rock, because whats more alternative than a Tom Morello solo? // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are always good seeing as their from chris cornell, songs like "Show Me How To Live" and "Shadow On The Sun" show the always deep introspection that defined soundgraden. Although this is alot different than the political rants of Zack De La Rocha, these lyrics truly define the tone of a new band that is uncertain about their sound. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album a must have for Soundgarden or Rage fans, This album is something metalcore and rapcore fans would sit and listen to. If your not even a rage or SG fan you should get this, its like chocoltae, everybody likes it. In closing this album is so good, that I bought a second copy when I thought I had lost one, now I have two one, for my room and one for my car. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2005

Sound: This is a good album but is not for RATM fans. I like Rage but this album has a very different sound. Morello is awesome in this album like always and Cornell can sing, but near the end of the album it started to sound the same. Again, if youre a fan of Rage this album is horrible, but if you like Morello riffs then this album is great. Morello has weird sounding solos like always, but they fit in perfectly with the songs. Some of the songs are heavy, but the slow songs sound the best. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are nothing special, but Cornell is a great singer. He sounds nothing like Zack De La Rocha, but its interesting hearing him sing to Morellos guitar style. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is much better than Out Of Exile, and has a different sound to. If you like Soundgarden then this is a good album, but Rage fans are out of luck. I love the solos on all the songs especially I Am The Highway and Like A Stone. A great album overall, if it were lost or stolen I would buy it again definetly. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: METSOAD, on june 13, 2006

Sound: This is an amalgamation of the years of two of the heaviest and most influential bands of the '90s. Audioslave contains the singer and creative force behind Soundgarden in Chris Cornell and the guitarist, bassist and drummer from nu-punk legends Rage Against The Machine. In some songs like set it off it is clear that the spirit of Rage continues through this new unit alonside the heaviness of Soundgarden in tracks like Cochise and Show Me How To Live // 10

Lyrics: Chris Cornell is, in my own humble opinion, the second best singer in the world of rock music, his tone varies from warm, to agressive, to remissive throughout the album, his vocal range is stunnig and he could make any lyrics sound absolutely astounding. It helps that the lyrics are absolutely brilliant. The chemistry between Cornell and the legendary Tom Morello is the most important lyrical counterpoint on the album. These lyrics are befitting of any rock band, they have the want of Like a Stone, the rebbelion of Set It Off, the speed obsession in Gasoline and the want to live life to its fullest in Show Me How To Live. Overall brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: This is as good as any album I have ever heard and it's got a feel of Led Zepplin amongst the punk/grunge/funk and soul influence. It is the best album for years. There is only one problem with this whole album, and band in general, they are not as good as Rage Against The Machine or Soundgarden, shame because its still a wonderful album. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: Tom Morello's guitars are not up to his part...IMO his sound was better in Rage against the machine...the overall mixing on this cd sucks...you can barely hear the bass guitar in pretty much all the songs..Battle of Los Angeles had so much better mixing. // 6

Lyrics: Chris Cornell is definitely the right singer for the job. His lyrics are realy deep and very well thought out/written... // 10

Overall Impression: Though Chris Cornell's vocals sure do bring out the best in this band, RATM had better mixing on there albums, and Morello went crazier...Audioslave sort of limits the range on all the members, but together they make a good blend of music, that I enjoy listening to. // 8

Audioslave Reviewed by: tony47, on march 29, 2004

Sound: Audioslaves debut album was a stunning mix of Morello's amazing guitar work and Cornell's vocals. The album had songs that were heavy and loud and others that were slow ballads. Also Morello's solos were some of the best I ever heard, especilly the ones in Like a Stone and Bring Em Back Alive. The only problems were that the drum parts were too boring and the bass recording was kinda muddy. // 8

Lyrics: Cornell's lyrics were all very deep and his singing was excellent. His style really matched with the guitar parts to form an excellent combo. The singing on Like a Stone, Show Me How to Live, and The Last Remaining Light was trememdous. // 10

Overall Impression: Best Album of the year definitely, anyone who liked Rage or Soundgarden will like this. I'm dying to see the newest album, it will definitely have a wide range of sounds. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: breadfan82, on november 08, 2004

Sound: I am an avid Soundgarden fan, and I also think that Rage was a sweet band too, but I wasn't sure what this was going to be like. I have to say that Morello once again rises to the occasion with his incredible guitar work, and Cornell's vocals were as strong as ever, but for some reason that I can't place, I just don't think I like the feel of this compilation. The bass was pretty shallow, drum beats were repetitive and stale, and there was too much of that "oooh baby" feel to the sound of "I Am The Highway". Talent is in abundance among the members, but not used to the fullest potential. // 6

Lyrics: Cornell has had one of the most gripping, jaw-dropping voices of the past twenty years, and this album is no different. Even though he's getting a bit older, he still showed that he's still got a set of pipes on him. The lyrics to "Like A Stone" and "Show Me How To Live" are classic Cornell, but some of the other tracks were not so impressive. Overall good effort, but still needs work. // 6

Overall Impression: I borrowed this album from a guy I know, he thinks it's totally lame, but I at least gave credit where it was due. Sound quality was decent, vocals and lyrics were at the very least substantial, and presentation was pretty good. Not a favorite of mine, but I hope that they record a follow-up album so I can get a better grasp of their mission statement. // 6

Audioslave Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2004

Sound: Let me set it off like this if you go out and buy this album comparing it and thinking its gonna be like Rage or Soundgarden don't buy it. In order to truly experience this album you must go in with a open mind. It does bring quality's from Rage and Sound in it but listen with no comparison. I enjoyed the album and I am waiting for the follow up. I have heard some of the demo's, the next album is gonna kick some ass. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics how were they let me say one name. Chris Cornell come on he's great he wonderfull he's the best. Cornell is just a great vocalist hands down. Sure there's an age in his voice but man he still knows how to bang out deep, fluid, melodic stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: This was a good effort for a debut, but I know that they are gonna get better with eachother. You see Rage and Cornell didn't really have a feel for eachother in this album but I can tell that the sky is the limit for this band. I would most defintly buy it if I lost it (actually I am known to loose my cd's I bought two copy's just in case so yeah its good). Once they settle in and find their own sound look out world Cornel and Rage I mean Audioslave is here to stay! // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: Nodrog69, on may 20, 2005

Sound: Technically the sound quality is brilliant, with Tom Morello's inventive guitar effects often stealing the show. There's a lot of single line playing by him, no punk rock power chords, which can sometimes make the less catchy songs sound a bit weaker, but there aren't many of those. Singer Chris Cornell's gruff voice goes great with the rock style music, and he can sing the slower tempo songs (eg. The Last Remaining Light) just as well as he can the kick ass hard rock tracks (e.g. my personal favourite Show Me How To Live and hit single Cochise). You can tell it's just 4 guys making this record - don't expect any Good Charlotte style orchestral intros here. Though there maybe aren't so many standout tracks, quality is maintained throughout, and it is a good album to listen to the whole way through (on the other hand, it is a long album, but you won't notice it while listening). // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are certainly interesting, with many metaphorical imagery used by singer Chris Cornell. It's refreshing to hear an album with such depth and thought - not a case of New Found Glory syle "she dumped me"etc. (I'm not dissing NFG-I'm a fan). // 8

Overall Impression: Audioslave's 2002 debut is certainly an impressive one, yet when you take into consideration that the band formed from two of the monsters of rock (Rage Against The Machine and Soundgarden) of the '90s, you realise that it could have been something more special. Lyrically, the music does not pack the emotional punch that RATM hits posses, and the riffs aren't quite as catchy. Saying that, any rock fan would do good to buy it, as it is a good all-round album, one which has little filler. Hopefully the new album (Out Of Exile) will be just as, if not more successful. // 8

Audioslave Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2005

Sound: Morello's guitar on this is awesome. He is the best guitarist in mainstream rock today (except for maybe Slash and Zakk Wyle). In any case he is by far the most original and inventive. The bands sound is great altogether, very tight and you can tell that Tom, Brad and Tim have worked together before. The music is very different to Rage, less hip hop and more hard rock, and it suits Chris very well. You won't hear Zach singing Audioslave anytime soon, or Chris singing Rage. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very inventive and a great change from a. Having a wierd crush, and b. whining about your girlfriend leaving you. I haven't heard any Soundgarden so I can't make many comparisons but Chris Cornell is the best vocallist around today, even though I disliked it at first. // 10

Overall Impression: If there is one weakness in this album, it is that some songs really suffer compared to others. Whilst there are no bad songs on here, some songs seem to be bad when compared to Cochise, Show Me How To Live and Gasoline in particular. That being said I like this album and hope to but the new one once I have various other higher up on the list. // 8

Audioslave Reviewed by: Heaviest Thing, on august 15, 2005

Sound: This album is just a awsome album, Heavy guitar, beeting drums, bass out the window, singing as beautiful as a flower, and mindbogeling guitar solos. I'd have to say this album has a good sound and heavy. The heaviest music that I've heard latley from a good band (music needs help face it). A super group like Velvet Revolver (another good band) Audioslave knows music and has been around for a while being as Chris Cornell (singer) is from Soundgarden and the rest of the boys being from Rage Aginst The Machine. They know what they were doing when they did this album. // 10

Lyrics: Basically I loved! The lyrics on this album, Chris Cornell can wirte man and sing so clearley but sometimes he's hard to understand if he's going really loud or screaming. But he's got a great sound even so and deffintley just a great singer/songwriter. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall if your only even the slitest bit' into Audioslave just listen to this album yoou'll most likeley love it. The songs are just dead good and hit the mind well and you can't get them out. Just a straight mindboggeling expeirence (in a good way). // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: les_kris, on september 25, 2005

Sound: It is best I describe this albums sound by the band members. Chris Cornell renders some of his vocal best in this album, pieces such as 'Show Me How To Live' and 'The Last Remaining Light', while not remarkable on their lyrical content are a perfect example of his personal style and use of his bluesy smokey voice. Tom Morello is one of the most innovative guitarist on the modern rock scene and he produces some signature abnormalities as some would expect. I feel however he fails to deliver his true potential to the Album and in doing so is muddled between a blues rock sound and that of his rage tone, while this mix is undeniably useable, as I mention before he fails to use it in its full power and at times sounds as if the two sounds have curdled. Tim C, it is in the epic bass playing that I found most dissapointment. This is for a simple yet not entirely fair reason. I found the bass to be abscent on the album, his sound lost behind a strong singer and even stronger guitar presence. On hearing them live earlier this year I was bermused as to why he was so abscent from the bands self-titled debut, he was the greatest presence on stage and his expression sat seemlessly into what seemed to be a gaping hole in the albums studio form. Brad Wilk was efficient and well constructed in his playing though at times routine and maybe even boring, if the album contained drums as the like of 'know your enemy' the songs may not have seaped into one another almost creating a uniformity with which the rhytm section so clearly seperated themselves from when with Rage. The sound on the whole is good and it does differ from any other band, however, it is clearly the sound of a band not comfortable completely within itself at the time. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics were well written and seemed to fit neatly into the rhythm, however seemed to serve no purpose and were without a great aim. I found 'I am the highway' to be proof that though lyrically it was lost in itself to a personal expirience rather than the artistic approach of soundgarden, it still held emotion and inspiration. // 7

Overall Impression: Not an album producing the full potential of a Rage/Soundgarden compromise, it had not yet found itself a sound to be called its own. It was a historic album never the less and still put them higher than most on a modern rock musicians level in todays musical climate. This album is a must have and an essential to any guitar player of blues, rock or of any other concern. // 8

Audioslave Reviewed by: TJM2482, on february 14, 2006

Sound: I picked this album up without any prior knowledge of them being in their past bands, it was almost like in introduction. First off, the music is amazing. Chris Cornell's vocals are very unique and gives tons of life and emotion to each song. Brad, the drummer, does a good job for a drummer. Brad doesn't play super fast, he gives you more of an ass-kicking drum beats, mostly shown in the introduction of "Cochise." And of couse, Tim, the bassist, does a nice job playing along with Tom to create some serious riff-age. Speaking of Tom, his style is one of the most recognized today in music. His work on this album is very good, he brought everythigng but a great solo or two to the mix. Very good sound, very catchy. // 9

Lyrics: I think Chris Cornell is one of the best poets in music today. His voice is amazing, and he uses it well. When you really listen to some of the lyrics, they are pretty amazing. Some of the lyrics are straight-forward, and some leave a bit of mystery in exactly what the lyrics mean, and what he is really talking about. His voice matches the music well. His vocal skills are really great, very unique to what many other bands are doing these days. Great vocals and lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Audioslave has only produced two albums so far, their third coming in June of 2006. I liked the feel of this CD, but I wish it has more solo's, like that of their sophmore album "Out Of Exile." I really enjoyed this album, it offers a new type of sound to the modern rock scene. Each musician's work fits perfectly into one great sound. If I lost this album, or if it was stolen, I'd still have it on my iPod, but if I did not have it recorded on my computer, I would definitly pick it up again. A definite buy, and it's worth listening to. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: MonsterOfRock, on october 28, 2006

Sound: The sound in this album is quite awesome. We're aware of the distinct sounds of Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden, but this album is like a melting point for the two giants of the '90s. Cornell's vocals are like none other and even though he isn't as powerful as his SG days, he is still a couple of levels above most singers. His vocals towards the end of "Shadow On The Sun" shows the vocal power of the man, if you already don't know him. Tim Commerford can be heard throughout clearly, as his bass style is quite 'active' especially on "Bring 'Em Back Alive". Brad Wilk is there as usual with his ever-impressive drum work. Mr. Tom Morello needs no introduction, His riffs are really fiery as usual and his unorthodox soloing works just as awesome with this band as did with RATM. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical work has the word 'Soundgarden' written all over it. The obvious difference being that Chris Cornell's lyrics are a lot personal than that of Zack De La Rocha's political views. This is probably a good thing for the rest of the band, as this actually allows them to extend out their musical abilities. The lyrical work is absolutely superb like in "I Am The Highway", "Shadow On The Sun" and "Like A Stone" and they are sung the way they should be sung. If you are a close listenner of the lyrics [like myself], this is a treat, and a rarity amongst many of the records that are out there recently. // 10

Overall Impression: Before Audioslave was created, if I was to think of what Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine together would sound like, I would've got the exact same expression as I got from this album. This album stood out on the first listen, then it kept getting better and better after a few listen. If I was to make a personal comment to the readers, I'd say turn off your computer, grab some money and go to the record store. it's that good. This album gets a 10 out of 10 in my opinion, simply due to it's integrity. If my copy gets stolen one night, the next morning I'll go and buy it before I do my breakfast. Thanks for reading this review. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: asmiff, on august 21, 2008

Sound: After listening to this collaboration (of sorts) between Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden, you will be left salivating long after the pure power Chris Cornell's vocals are finished riding over the wave of sound produced by guitarist Tom Morello, bassist Timmy Commerford, and drummer Brad Wilk. Two years after frontman Zack de la Roche departed his fellow Rage members, and five years after Cornell and Soundgarden split, the two parties joined together to create Audioslave. This album can best be described as Rage Against the Machine featuring Cornell, although the group develops a more signature sound on later efforts. This is not a bad thing, of course. The purpose of this debut is nothing but intense, overwhelming rock, and you'll be panting when it's over. // 10

Lyrics: Cornell's lyrics are once again nothing special, and his work on "What You Are" and "Cochise" exemplify his bland, ambiguous messages. However, the refrain lyrics in "Shadow On The Sun" and "I Am The Highway" are impressive and draw the listener in. Despite his shortcomings in the writing department, Cornell's voice is still one of the best in the game, and his style is the perfect complement to Morello's extremely heavy chorus riffs. Kim Thayil of Soundgarden was a very exceptional guitarist, but when working with Morello, Cornell displays more vocal freedom and excitement. // 9

Overall Impression: There is no doubt that "Audioslave" was a huge breath of fresh air for the rock industry coming into the 21st century. Cornell's voice reaches new highs when paired with the Rage trio, although Morello and his pals produced more original music with de la Roche. That being said, the album is a classic, spear-headed by 7 powerful songs, and backed up by a 7 more very solid tracks. The top songs are "Like a Stone", which produced the band's first Grammy award, "I Am The Highway", a softer song that still packs a punch, "Cochise", one the best pump-up songs of this decade, "Show Me How to Live", "Shadow On The Sun", "Gasoline" and "What You Are". The rest of the songs are fairly good as well, and you should definitely invest in a full copy of the album. I did, and it is now a staple in my collection. // 9

Audioslave Reviewed by: HippoIzzy, on november 10, 2008

Sound: Okay, here's my review on Audioslaves selftitled album. I reviewed it for someone else a week ago and I enjoyed it, so I'll do it here as well! I'll review the songs one by one, first the music and then the singing skills: 01.Cochise: I wasn't so fond of this song at the beginning but there're a couple of songs that you have to hear a few more times to like them. (like for eksample 4th of July and Tighther & tighter by Soundgarden and Hate To Feel by Alice In Chains but now I love those!) This one is on of them! The helicopter sound at the beginning is just genius! The fact that he uses a pencil to do it, proofs that everything can be used to play guitar! 02.Show Me How to live: is also wonderful.. It reminds me of summer and driving in a car with the wind in my hair like I did last summer. Its powerful and the drumming is f***ing nice! Especially at the end! 03.This song, Gasoline, caught me at very first second! The guitar with a sorta Delay effect in the beginning of the song is amazing, and begins it with a different kinda power then for eksample drum solos in the beginning. 04.The guitar on What You Are is a little too flat for me and didn't really impress me so much. The kinda solo in this song isn't so fantastic either. Chris' voice safes it and makes it great anyways though! 05.Uhuu one of the first songs I learned on guitar.. Like A Stone! On acoustic. Its kinda sad but also really powerful! Tom Morello is very amazing in this song! The solo always makes me go crazy! Proberbly one of the best solos from Audioslave. Some may say its boring, I dont. I like it very much. The mood in it is perfect. 06.Set it off.. Wild and crazy and is a nice startup on a concert! A kind of Kickstart with a heavy, crazy guitar and an insane scream! This song is done better in studio than live I think. It becomes a little muffled and caotic live. But the studio version is great! 07.How should I review Shadow on The Sun.. Well, its pretty heavy some places and very quite other places. It gives some kind off contrast but not a heavy contrast. I love the bass and how it uses low notes that works great with the moody effect. 08.I Am The Highway is so beautiful.. Its a love song, no doubt about it. I love silent acoustic songs as well, and this one is amazing on an acoustic. The live version of the solo is played with a Cry baby Wah wah pedal I think and God, I love it! Its so simple and yet he makes it special anways, Tom! 09.On Exploder I love the bass! It makes a good foundation for the rest of the song and the guitar riffs flows above it! Pretty funky and shows that Audioslave is nothing like Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine but completely their own. Porperbly one of the funkiest songs on the record. 10. Hypnotize is also very funky and reminds me a little about The Matrix! At least the start with a lot of highhat and drums. And if we talk about crazy solos, that must be the one! It doesn't follow the beat at all and thats what so freaking cool! It must be Morellos trademark after all. 11. I have to admit that Bring Em Back Alive is still not one of the songs I'm quite fond of. To me it sounds like something they just put on the record for the purpose of filling it out. 12. Light My Way is the "Wah wah song"! Cause in the verse, Morello uses this effect all the time! It gives a quite nice effect and keeps the song down on the ground if.. Its a very nice song and, as usual, the chorus is very wild compared to the verse! 13. Getaway Car is a quite cute song. One of those where you can sit outside on a summerday and just listen to it. Its very pleasant and gives a signal that the record is about to end. The guitar is silent and not so dominating like in the rest of the songs. It gives a silent little "local bar" solo without effects. The drums give a clear beat make you sit a move a little to the rythm, but not too much! 14. The Last Remaining Light is a nice name for the last song. It ends this CD, and it ends it with style. Its like when you listen to it, you feel like tumbling through a movie with pictures of many weird abstract things.. The guitar is very silent in this song as well and with some distortion and there're two solos here. I little one in the middle and a little longer, softer one in the end. Again the "Local bar" sound. I really love this song! A good song to listen to in the night. // 8

Lyrics: As you might've guessed, I'm a huge Cornell fan. Have been there since his Soundgarden days. When this record came out, I was kind off surprised. his voice was a lot more hoarse and mature than on any Soundgarden record I owned. it's much more funky and thick. I've choosen some of the songs where I noticed his voice the most. (and sorry for my english, I'm danish) Cochise is the first one on the record and of course I noticed his voice a lot on it! What happened? It was very hoarse! Especially when he screams "you don't feel a thiiiing!!" at the end. When he sang, the lyrics weren't easy to hear and he mumbled his words instead of singing them clearly as he usually did! In Show Me How To Live I still had my troubles to get used to his new sound but it slowly came to me. In this song he sang more clearly and I recognized him again. He bends his voice in an amazing way in this song. I really like the little thing he does to his throat in the ending sentence "Show me how to.. Lii-iii-i-i-i-iiive!" Like he's cracking it on purpose! It sounds very amusing to listen to! What You Are is another one where it's unusally hoarse. But here it goes completely in harmony with the music! Especially in the chorus! It sounds nothing but amazing! On Exploder I love the funkiness! This was where I realized that it had become a lot more funky! Very sexy and works good with the music that is very funky too! The lyrics "There was a man who had a face that looked a lot like me, I saw him in the mirror and I fought him in the street, and when he turned away, I shot him in the head, then I came to realize, that I had killed myself" That stucked on my head from the very first time I heard it! it's so well written and just proofs that Cornell is a brilliant song writer! The "Dah dah" gives the last touches of funk to the song! The Last Remaining Light is sung with a kind off sway'ish voice. I don't know if it's understandable but I can't explain it other ways. It bends and he uses what he has of voice and respect for him! it's so powerful! And of course the lyrics.. They're so Cornellish that they can be! Some of the songs are pure love songs like "I am The Highway" and "What You Are" and some of the are a little more disgiused. I don't wanna decode the lyrics, they are just very well written! // 7

Overall Impression: Well I have to say that I just thought it was some kinda mainstream rock in the beginning. Nothing the shout "Hurray!" at. But it kinda grew on me. To me, it's a funk record mixed up with the last fragments of Rage Against The Machine (The most noticeable must be Morellos solos) I must admit, that he DOES recycle sometimes. The helicopter sound in the beginning of Cochise is heard before in "Revolver" on Rage Against The Machines "Evil Empire" for example. Else it's a f--king great record! Some Soundgarden comes with Cornells vocals of course but nothing else. This band stands alone, I think. They uses soft contrasts. The verses are mostly soft and when the chorus comes both Cornells voice and the guitar freak out and dominate a lot! // 9

Audioslave Reviewed by: bluesman6885, on november 25, 2008

Sound: When I had at first heard of Audioslave, as well as essentially what it was. I thought it sounded like a gamble, but potentially could be a great collaboration. It's not very often that we see a supergroup form. In Audioslave's musical legacy you will still find the primal riffing and sonic pioneer Tom Morello, sharing visceral riffs with Timmy Commerford on bass, and the foundation being rounded out with the most solid and most overlooked post-grunge drummer, Brad Wilk. The musical intensity you'll find here is a matured version of what was the first chapter of Rage's career. This band is definitely a departure from Rage Against the Machine, because #1: There's no political motivation about what they did, no efforts or hints of advocating for social justice; and #2: It's all about the MUSIC. The band and the music that they've written, gels wonderfully with the unique and piercing power of Chris Cornell's voice. Originally they were going to be called Civilian (or something similar, I can't recall clearly), but due to another group having and owning the name; Cornell christened the band Audioslave, in what Morello refers to a shaman-like vision. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics that can be seen in the sleeve for Audioslave's self-titled album, is nothing more than further testament to Cornell's lyrical, and poetic genius. His lyrics create a mental environment for us to walk in and understand what he's trying to say; instrumentally, Tom, Brad, and Tim do a great job of intensifying and amplifying the message of the lyrics. Chris Cornell's voice is in very fine form on this album. Despite rumors circulating that he's completely worn his voice out, and allegations that ProTools saved face for him on the record. I just love every vocal performance he gives on this record. It's also nice to hear Timmy C. harmonizing here and there with Cornell. Good to see him start to come out of his shell. // 10

Overall Impression: A lot of people argued that this was the beginning of Rage Against the Machine, "part II." Yeah the riffs have the intensity, but there's no question that we have a NEW, and different band on our hands. The only fair comparisons anyone can make are fairly abstract, in my opinion. The most impressive songs on this album? That's a really hard question, especially given that there isn't a bad song on this record. The songs that I would define as what will be considered "classic" out of this record are: "Show Me How To Live," "Cochise," "I am The Highway," "Set It Off," "Shadow On The Sun," and "Light My Way." I love everything about this album. The music, the lyrics, the vocal work, the production. I wouldn't change a thing about it. There's no doubt in my mind that this is one of the greatest debut albums of all-time. Probably the greatest debut rock album of this decade. One song that probably should've been added to the album is the exclusive iTunes single, "Give." This is an album that has profoundly influenced me as a musician, one of the few modern examples of "how to cover all your bases and do everything right." It's a damn shame Audioslave broke up... they could've saved rock 'n roll. // 9

Audioslave Reviewed by: spazymusicjunky, on march 19, 2009

Sound: This us truly one of my favorite CD's of all time. The sound of the entire album flows perfectly from song to song; though each has it's own unique sound and feel to it. Different areas of the album are also good to fit with moods, such as louder songs like "Set It Off" for a stronger moon and "I Am The Highway" for a quieter more relaxed mood. All around this is one of the best sounding CD's I own out off about the 1000 I have. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in every song are something to die for. Each song has it's own story and meaning to the words that's more than just the things you hear everyday. Every song has lyrics that make you think or try to understand what is really being said. All the songs on the album match with the music too. Everything flows well and fit's in to one another. Singing skills are definitely not missing here. Anyone looking for inspiring lyrics, this is probably the place to start. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums this one could definitely crush the competition. Some of my favorites from the album are Set It Off, I Am The Highway, Like A Stone, and Getaway Car. Those four songs are very different from each other and each have their own feeling and thought put with it. Just about everything about the CD I love and if there's something I don't well I can't think of it now. If my copy of this CD was stolen or lost or whatever broken ect. I would most assuredly go to the store immediately and buy a new copy. Knowing myself I would probably leave the store with three or four CD's but this one would of course be one of them. In the end if you are a beginning rocker or just like extremely good music then go buy this album. // 10

Audioslave Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2009

Sound: Overall this album had a nice production- you can really hear everything quite well. Tom Morello's guitar effects really have a nice warm quality to them; this album really is the perfect blend of later Soundgarden and Rage. The one thing I didn't like about this album instrumentation-wise is the guitar solos. They honestly sounded very shoegaze; and while that is good in some songs, I don't think that every song needed them. The bass playing was very rhythmatic which was nice, although I would have liked to hear the funk basslines of good 'ol Tim Commerford more prominently displayed. The drum lines were really good, and I like how Brad Wilk did more than just kept the simple beat- he was very active. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album was great. I loved how it wasn't your typical post-grunge bullshit "Oh, I hate my life, god save me". This album had a nice lively quility in the lyrics, but they also addressed the aspects of life that one may not like very much quite nicely. Definitely great work of Chris and the gang on this debut. I especially liked the lyrics in "Shadow On The Sun", they really fit the mood of the song quite nicely. Chris' lyrics have always complimented the music quite well in my opinion, no matter what he was in. On top of that, Chris Cornell's vocals are some of my favorite, and this was no exception. Such a clean voice, a bit whiney at times, but just great overall. // 10

Overall Impression: This project was definitly different than the other things every member has done, this is true. Truthfully, I believe it is evident that all musicians expiriment with all different styles of music, and while some of the expirimentations come out terrible- I believe that this one was great, both for the listener and the musicians involved. The most impressive song on the song is probably the first track, it really combines the impressive funk-rock playing of Tim, Tom, and Brad with the great clean, hard-rock/grunge vocals of Chris in a way that I haven't seen done in a long time. I really love this album because it really just makes me want to drift off into the music and explore where it can take me, and that music is my favorite kind. // 9

Audioslave Reviewed by: ThrashUnleashed, on may 30, 2011

Sound: As a debut album, Audioslave was certainly impressive. As compared to both Rage's and Soundgarden's past work, even more so. Tom Morello's unique styles are more prominent than ever on this album, while Chrish Cornell is at his very best. Tim Commerford's bass performance, however, is average when put against his works on "Evil Empire". As for overall sound, you can definetly hear bits of Soundgarden and bits of RATM. The Grunge is still there and the Funk is intact. Any fans of either band should be satisfied. Overall, nothing I would really need to complain about, although I noticed a missed opportunity when it came to the lack of mentionable bass performances. // 9

Lyrics: Can't say much about the lyrics. While I personally love Chris' voice with this kind of music, the actual lyrics on this album did not please me as much. I would much more enjoy the political rage of Zack, or the deeper, more critical and sometimes sorrowful songs of early Soundgarden. They were blatant, and to the point. Short, and quick statements that would remind some of Pearl Jam's more recognized songs. Some might enjoy this, but I did not. // 6

Overall Impression: The one thing I can say was amazing about this album was the guitar solos, and Chris' high notes. My one complaint is that Tim was not at full potential. This is definelty as must have in a collection of Grunge, Funk Metal, and harder Alternative. A staple in the history of Rock, for sure. Mentionable songs are definetly: "Cochise" - An amazing start to the album. "Show Me How To Live" - The best example of a Rage/Soundgarden blend. "Gasoline" - A song with a country twang that will have you humming it for hours on end and tapping your toes. // 9

Audioslave Reviewed by: gabipe15, on november 23, 2012

Sound: I used to love Audioslave by the time this Disc came out. This reminded me of classic RATM sounds. Big Morello's riffs, fat bass lines and Chris Cornell fits perfect in the mix. Morello's solos have that crazyness as usual, Cornell screams and the band gets high up nearly at every song. Very hard rock rhythm. Like a stone is the break of the album, separating the first songs from the rest of them. If you enjoy playing guitar or listening to it, Tom Morello performs at its best on this one, you'll love it. // 8

Lyrics: The singer skills of Cornell are awesome, he gets high notes as well as lower ones, he screams, he sings softly and he does it good. It's no surprise though, everyone knew it, if you didn't, where the hell were you? The lyrics are fine I guess, don't mean anything special to me, I mean I don't remember this album by its lyrics, I guess I'm listening Morello's guitar everytime and I just forget about them. Just there are some classic lyrics out there, and I think they are not this one, this album's about its music. // 6

Overall Impression: I like this album, I think it starts amazing, and then starts going down. You can compare the first 4 songs with Rage Against The Machine, just from the minute you start listening. Of course Zack is missing, but Chris is there! And he adds to the music, just from a more vocal side and not a rap side like Zack did. But Cornell screams too! And he screams big! "Cochise", "Show Me How To Live", "Gasoline" are the best songs, I have no doubt about it, you can't stop listening them, the rest is a bit down compared to this start. I wish it stayed up there till the end, I think it deserved a better ending. But hey it's my opinion, judge it as you want, I like it, do not love it. If it were stolen, I'd download the first half of the album from iTunes store, the rest is meaningless for me. // 6

More Audioslave reviews rating latest review
+ Out Of Exile 9 06/09/2011