Out Of Exile Review

audioslave: Out Of Exile
Released: May 24, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Unlike the first record, Out of Exile sounds like the product of a genuine band, where all four members of the band contribute equally to achieve a distinctive, unified personality.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.9
 9.1
Out Of Exile Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 12, 2005

Sound: The story of the band starts when Rage Against The Machine's bassist Tim Commerford, drummer Brad Wilk, and guitarist Tom Morello were looking for a replace of Zac de la Rocha in 2000. After months of different rumors ex-Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell joined the band in studio in 2001. Having spent the next year writing and recording, the band opened to public on the 2002 Ozzfest. Since then there were no more RATM ?- Cornell's personality changed the band's music and the name had to be changed as well. The idea was to call it Civilian, but they settled on Audioslave. Cornell turned out to be a tough cookie for other band's members -? he quit the new project even before their summer tour and claimed that the band wasn't moving in the direction he was hopping for. But was back in a couple of months and in September 2002 Audioslave released the self-titled debut, which went multi-platinum. And even it was announced to be a short-life project, after three years of touring, the band is back with a new album "Out of Exile" which was released in May 2005. That same month they were the first American rock band to play outdoor in Havana, Cuba, which was considered to be a historical event. "Out Of Exile" has a real classic rockb feel. Having a lot classic rock riffs, it is even mixed like a classical rock album -? it starts with a rough hard-driving rock song "Your Time Has Come," followed by even harder and more strained "Out Of Exile." Then it slows done by the middle to down-tempo "Heaven's Dead" -? a melancholy rock ballad with hard rhythms and squealing electric guitars, after which it growls again with "The Worm" and "Man Or Animal" and ends with another beautiful rock ballad -? "The Curse." There are couple of pleasant surprises along the way -? funny "Doesn't Remind Me" which sounds almost like a country song in the beginning and a mellow "#1 Zero" with a bit of blues feel to it and powerful vocals. There are songs on the album that would please both RATM and Soundgarden fans -- "Your Time Has Come," "Out Of Exile" and "Man Or Animal" sound like they were written for Zack de la Rocha, but just without hip/rap elements, "Be Yourself," "Don't Remind Me" and "Dandelion" all are very tuneful and Soundgarden-ish. Thanx to soulful Cornell -- not only he brought the new name and style to the band, he also added the Soundgarden's mojo working with the material ?- the capability to mix a great variety of volumes and tempos and write slow, but very strong songs like "The Curse" or "Heaven's Dead." Except of that, the band has a very strong if not the best cast of musicians -? Tom Morello is considered to be one of the best guitarists lately ?- not only for has solid technical capabilities, but also for filling the songs with the unique and creative riffs. And he became even more innovative on this album. Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk is probably the most exciting and dynamic rhythm section in the business. The sound that they make together is not meant only to be the backing of Morello's art -? that is a very essential part of the band's sound. All of them together with Cornell managed to mesh two opposite styles together so well, that it created a new incredible sound. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Cornell has proved to be one of the best singers in rock, ever since the Soundgarden times. He fills the songs with muscular lead vocals and bangs out explosive yet soulful singing. But to look at it from the other side, Cornell now is not quite the singer he once was. Even though his voice is still very strong, it sounds strained sometimes and he can't scream the way he used to. It becomes obvious in the parts where the song needs a roar and it's replaced by layers of back vocals. Apart from his singing talent (doesn't really matter if it became better or worse now, he still has a huge talent), Cornell has a gift for lyrics like only a few people in rock-n-roll have ever had. Lyrics is what makes a rock band a great rock band. And Audioslave has what it takes. I like listening to the band not only because I enjoy the sound, but also 'cause I like to sing along to it -? not something dumb, but words that make sense and actually mean something to me. "Doesn't Remind Me" is a funny song and has the saddest lyrics at the same time. It reminds me of periods in my live when everything was so bad, that I just didn't want to think about it. Just something to excurse from it -? sing some happy song and watch gypsy moths or drive backwards in the fog. 'cause it doesn't remind me of anything. "The Curse" in my opinion has the best lyrics and that refers to the "girlish" part of my personality -? sounds like a perfect song a man could ever sing to his woman. "And as I'm howling as the moonlight, don't you kid yourself/I will be your luck/'cause even at my worst/Never your curse." A prince on a white horse... In general the lyrics here are more positive and less heavy, than on their previous album. But bitter, angry and self deprecation on songs like "The Worm," "Man Or Animal" and "Your Time Has Come" still define that band's style. // 8

Overall Impression: You can't help comparing this album to the band's debut "Audioslave." If the first one was a record of two songs and a bunch of other promising tracks that never lived up to their promise, on "Out Of Exile's" there's not a single filler. Even though there are no standouts like "Cochise" and "Like A Stone," all songs are very solid. To go on with the comparison, the debut album sounded more like Chris Cornell singing over some Rage Against The Machine tracks, on their sophomore album it's obvious Audioslave feel each other better and "Out Of Exile" has it's own style. This album is more focused and the band sounds more like a band now, than a supergroup's side project. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: RookMaster, on may 31, 2005

Sound: Simply amazing. Audioslave has finally clicked as a band, and it shows in their sophomore effort. I'm starting to buy the ex-Rage guys as new Audioslave guys. It would seem that Cornell has more control over this album than he did the original; "Out of Exile" seems to have been influenced by what we saw in Cornell's solo album, especially in songs like "Doesn't Remind Me." It's nice to see less muscle and more substance this time around. However, there are some faults in their sound; Morello just gets way too outrageous in some of the songs. It's like he's trying way too hard to do something different, and it comes across as forced and bland. C'mon Tom, we don't need a "buah, wuah, wuah, wuah" in every song, now do we? Another thing is how mediocre Brad Wilk has become. His contributions to this album are easily overlooked and for good reason; he's hardly innovative, never really has been, and is even worse on this album. These problems aside, there are some. Tracklist with individual song reviews: 01. Your Time Has Come - 8.5/10 - catchy, very catchy; there's a good reason it was released as their second single. I love Cornell's wail-yell, always have. With politically-powerful lyrics, this is a great song and a killer choice for an opening track. The only problem with this is that as I got farther into the album, I found myself concerned more with the latter tracks than this one and didn't seem to come back to it as often as you would think. Forgettable? Not necessarily, but compared to other tracks on the album, possibly. Morello's solo also seems completely out of place on this track. 02. Out Of Exile - 9/10 - one of my favorite tracks on the CD. Killer chorus, easy to sing along to, just overall a powerful song (I can see why they'd use it for the title). My beef? The opening riff sounds way way way way too much like the riff for "Show Me How To Live." Honestly, the song sounds like a ballad combination of "Show Me How To Live" and "Light My Way." Not exactly a bad combination, but not what I was looking for on a new album. 03. Be Yourself - 8/10 - I was kind of shocked when I first heard this song; I thought that it was, well, kind of lame. Be yourself? Yeah, this is the kind of rock my school counselor would listen to. Besides the potent lameness of the subject matter, the Audioslave guys execute incredibly well, and I absolutely love the opener and the main riff. Cornell's vocals are well-placed and effective, but as is the case on most of the tracks on this album, I don't really enjoy Morello's solo. 04. Doesn't Remind Me - 9/10 - already chosen as their next single, this song just plain jumps out at you. Could you really picture Rage doing a song like this? I couldn't. It shows how much influence Cornell has over the band now (much to the chagrin of many Rage fans, I'm sure). You kind of get lost in this track, and it's the first track that Brad kind of does what he's supposed to do. The influence of "Euphoria Morning" on this track just makes me want to smile; I loved that album, and it's nice to see remnants of it with Audioslave. 05. Drown Me Slowly - 7/10 - easily my least-favorite track off this album. Cornell practically screams himself hoarse on this track; he's getting way too old to do that, especially on a song that's just not as impressive as the other muscle tracks on the album (Man or Animal being the most obvious). Tom's solo starts eccentric and out-of-place, almost fits, then goes out of place again. This is one track where he's just trying too hard to take priority from Cornell, and he doesn't quite do it. 06. Heaven's Dead - 8/10 - honestly this track was rather forgettable for me. It just doesn't have the muscle of the stronger tracks (nor is it supposed to), but since it doesn't have muscle, you expect a finesse ballad, but it's not that, either. It's really a song looking for an identity but never finding one. That doesn't stop it from being quite catchy, and Cornell doesn't disappoint (Brad does, but I've mentioned that already), getting stronger as the song goes on. His wail never gets old. 07. The Worm - 7.5/10 - the first of the two "The" tracks, and probably the strongest of the two. This song would have been on the latter half of Audioslave's debut; it's more muscle than substance, like the debut, but it's got enough "new Audioslave" to make it worth the time spent listening to it. If I'm in a hurry when listening to this album, I'll skip over this track. 08. Man Or Animal - 9/10 - easily the best of the muscle songs on the CD, Man Or Animal makes you want to just move. It's a rare combination of power and finesse; these kinds of songs are what I originally expected from a combination of Cornell and Rage. Cornell's wailing is vintage Badmotorfinger. Flaws? Brad, who is really drowned out in this song, but it's not like he was very involved anyhow. 09. Yesterday To Tomorrow - 8/10 - Chris Cornell makes this song great. His vocals seem to only refine themselves with age. "Yesterday To Tomorrow" is a stark contrast with "The Worm" (thankfully they didn't put them back-to-back) in being way more substance than muscle (although Cornell's wail always provides quite a bit of strength in a song no matter what). However, for a song this slow, he really does, well, wail too much. Kind of takes away from the song a bit. This song also has a short but effective Morello solo that furthers the mood established by this song and sets the pace for the rest of the album. 10. Dandelion - 9.5/10 - track 10 doesn't disappoint. This is easily one of their most powerful tracks; everything just flows. The overall message of the song is one of meaning; having hope for the promise of tomorrow. Cornell's wail is simply incredible on this track, as it is on most, and Tim really carries this song on bass. "Dandelion" is my second most-favorite song on the CD. 11. #1 Zero - 10/10 - this is the song everyone's loving, and I'm shocked as to why they decided to have "Doesn't Remind Me" as their next single given the support for this track already. They better use this as a single, or I'ma be pissed. This track is the culmination that everyone's been waiting for; vintage Cornell with his resonating vocals and powerful wails, amazing lyrics, incredible depth, and Tom Morello actually sounding good when funky. Everything on this song clicks (even Brad isn't too bad). This song's gotten the most playtime from me and I bet from most everyone who has picked this album up. 12. The Curse - 7.5/10 - I really feel that "#1 Zero" should have closed out the CD. It's a hard song to follow, really, and this song tries, but just doesn't quite culminate like the last track did. This is the only song where I really don't like Cornell's vocals. The chorus is catchy, sure, but the rest of the song just seems to drag until you get there, and even though his stuff is actually in-place for once, Morello just doesn't click with me on this song. I think it might be just "#1 Zero" talking, though. // 8

Lyrics: Chris Cornell is simply amazing, easily the best rock vocalist to come out of the late '80s/early '90s. Anyone who thinks otherwise simply cannot appreciate what he brings to the table. Although he is getting older and probably cannot wail like he does for much longer, his vocals are way up to snuff on "Out Of Exile." His lyrics while somewhat cryptic and ambiguous and occasionally bordering on pure attempted rhyme are powerful when they click, and they do so quite often. Cornell's lyrics mesh well with the rest of the band's sound, and it's a perfect mix of muscle and substance. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm very much glad that I purchased this album; it was one I was anticipating for quite a long time and I wasn't let down in the slightest. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece like "Superunknown." All I wanted was a leaner yet stronger follow-up to a well-developed debut, and that was what I received. Don't purchase this expecting to be absolutely blown away with every track; like most albums, "Out Of Exile" has its ups and downs, but the ups provide way more influence than the downs. My personal "favorite" list (mostly preference) goes as follows: "#1 Zero," "Dandelion," "Out Of Exile," "Man Or Animal," "Doesn't Remind Me," "Your Time Has Come," The rest. If this album was stolen or lost, I would most definitely buy it again. Hell, I might go out and get another copy or two to share with friends. Most definitely worth buying; go out and get it ASAP. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2005

Sound: As with many "superbands," Audioslave shows early and often in "Out Of Exile" how easy it is to create a solid rock song. When you're Chris Cornell, however, it helps to have behind you arguably the most discliplined and explosive backup band since Led Zeppelin's. Morello and Co. take to their crafts with such organic energy. While "Out Of Exile" on the whole seems to lack the sincerity of their debut effort, it's hard not to find something good (a riff, a bass line, etc) about each song. Still, I have suspicions that Cornell is having a hard time jelling with his bandmates. Soundgarden succeeded because of its free-flowing sound, while RATM was much more staccato. Cornell is an alpha-musician, and he gives his best efforts when he's in control of the song, which is rarely the case on "Out Of Exile." I'd love to see this band have a jam session, to see who drives the songwriting. // 8

Lyrics: Early into this album, it's clear that Cornell just can't sing anymore. It's obvious he's trying (and perhaps a little too much at times), but his voice sounds beaten and parched, even compared to the last album. It's really quite sad. In his heyday, Cornell gave any rock singer ever a run for his money. While he still has the wind, especially with higher notes, his sprawling screech has been slowed considerably. I've been watching the band's Live in Cuba DVD, recorded not long after "Out Of Exile," and Cornell looks like he's in pain onstage. He's unnecessarily uneven with his vocal rhythms, he omits key phrases and his screams sound like he's fighting strep throat. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with that performance, with the hope that he simply saves himself for when he cares, but Cornell's sharp descent as a singer over even the last two years is stunning. // 6

Overall Impression: Shortcomings aside, "Out Of Exile" is a needed next step for Audioslave. They churned out what Rage and Soundgarden fans wanted to hear with their self-titled album - a verification that everyone involved could still rock. With their sophomore effort, they show greater range as a band, if not the same consistency. They seem to sleepwalk through the album's first half, relying on tired and recycled grooves and lyrics. Only the self-titled second track stands out. But after "Heaven's Dead," we see a lot more of the ferocity that needs to define this band. "The Worm" is creative, if choppy, and demonstrates yet again how Cornell can defy convention in delivering his lyrics. The last four songs are clearly the best. "Yesterday To Tomorrow" has one of the most awesome choruses I've ever heard, and Cornell exploits his vocal limitations for the better in "Dandelion." We see his bluesy side work magic on "#1 Zero," which should have been a single, and "The Curse" is satisfying, if a bit trite. I've heard the band is already working on their third album, and I'll be very curious to see if the members of this band can finally discard their musical predecessors and form a unique sound. If so, watch out. // 8

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2005

Sound: All in all Audioslave have taken a different approach to this album, in contrast to their previous self-titled offering. Here they focus more on their traditional rock n roll influences, in particular Led Zeppelin, as can be heard on tracks such as Doesn't Remind Me. This helps to develop a more distinguished and unique sound, rather than sounding simply like a collaboration of mismatched Rage Against The Machine and Soundgarden. The Rage and Soundgarden influences are obviously still noticeable, as our memory of Morello's riffing abilities is refreshed on several occasions, and Cornell's croaky vocals are difficult to confuse with any other. // 8

Lyrics: Cornell's lyrics here are perhaps the most personal he has ever written in his long and prosperous career. He puts his heart on display for all to see, and the vocals are delivered with precision, perfectly complementing the bass fueled, riff packed, downright dirty songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Although developing a more distinguished and unique sound is definitely a good thing, on first listen I still can't help feeling that this lacks the charisma of the first album. Maybe it was just the hype of seeing some of the biggest names in rock joining forces, or maybe it was just a more solid album. Either way, this is a difficult album to criticise. It still sounds fantastic, and Audioslave have laid the foundations to make them one of the biggest names in rock. Everyone forms their own expectations of collaborations such as these, and it is impossible not to compare it to the Rage of old and the dirty grunge machine that was Soundgarden. I would say it fairs against those gems, but does not excel. It stands up, but does not stand out. At some points I couldn't help but smile as Morello launches himself into a heavy riff or a guitar solo, just reminding me how good the Rage days were, if not teasing me. At other points though, the music washed over me in a daze of white noise and Cornell's barky vocals began to become irritating. This feeling quickly wore off though when listening to tracks like The Worm, which remind me what Audioslave is all about. They still rock, and this acts as another stepping stone to legendary status, which I believe they are capable of achieving. // 8

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: dalla, on may 24, 2005

Sound: The sound of the band remains very similar to their original (self-titled) album. However, while a couple of their songs hold the 'hard-rock' tone that was used in the first album, a number of their tracks seem to have a slower and 'more meaningful' style and sound to them. Tom Morello's guitaring continues to have that very distinct and noticable trademark sound, and in this album, has made great use of a number of special effects (a lot more often than previous records) to his credit. Vocals were also just as great as the previous album, if not - better. In my personal opinion, Audioslave sounded much better when they were purely banging out fast, hard, adrenalin-pumping heavy rock. Tom's guitaring seems much better suited to faster beats, and sounds a lot better when playing hard and fast (especially with some of the great effects he uses). // 8

Lyrics: To their credit, Audioslave have actually written better lyrics this time around, as compared with their debut album. The lyrics seemed to be somewhat meaningful and have a point, rather than just pure random, "cool-sounding" words that rhyme. The music written tied in well with the lyrics. The tempo of each track became the base for the mood of the song, and from there on, it seemed that the lyrics became icing on the cake. More importantly, the sound of the lyrics (and vocals) were quite impressive. As with the last album, the way the lyrics were belted out made a huge difference. I think the reason that the songs sounded so good is because of the way the songs were sung. // 8

Overall Impression: Personally, I much preferred the original Audioslave (self-titled) album compared to this. However, don't let this defer you from getting your hands on it, because the album is still great. The band gel together very smoothly and have produced another set of great tracks. However, if you haven't heard any Audioslave before and are thinking of purchasing, I'd go out and grab their first album (entitled 'Audioslave', a self-titled album) before deciding whether or not you love them to go two-up. If the album were stolen/lost, I would probably still buy it again, but I would ponder whether or not to buy another album first. Having said that, it's still worth the cash. // 8

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2005

Sound: Although I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of variation in Audioslave's last album, I found this album to have a very fresh sound, with Tom Morello really trying harder to experiment. There are quite a variety of different influences on here which show through, although the songs retain an individual quality which marks them out as being Audioslave songs. The songs range from the opener, "Your Time Has Come," a rocker with a Hendrix feel to some of the passages, through "#1 Zero," which sees Morello experiment with a lot if interesting guitar sounds, to a slower ballad in more of a Soundgarden style, "The Curse." Also, as a guitar player, I was pleased to see the introduction of some blistering solos into the songs. Inevitably, this is always going to be compared to RATM, and fans shouldn't be disappointed with the sound, although Chris Cornell's singing seems a bit flat, meaning that some of the songs feel a bit lacking in energy. // 8

Lyrics: The album contains some very well-written and often meaningful lyrics. I was very impressed by the lyrics to "Your Time Has Come," which contains some militant RATM style lyrics, talking about "bullets in the chest", and a particularly haunting verse where Chris Cornell sings "I've seen fifty thousand names all engraved on a stone/Most of them met an early grave before I was born/All of them left mothers and brothers and sisters behind/And most of their family and friends are still alive." I like the lyrics in this album and feel they are very well suited to Chris Cornell's singing style, although as I have mentioned he does sound a bit flat in places. I'm not going to take points off for this here as I have already mentioned it under "Sound," though. Overall, very well crafted lyrics which fit well to the music. // 10

Overall Impression: In my eyes, a great improvement on their debut. Lots of energy flows through the instruments, particularly the guitar parts, and while singing lacks energy somewhat, there is still plenty worth listening to. Tom Morello has achieved some really good effects here with his guitar, and deserves particular mention for the amazing solos, and for the cool slide-like whammy effect on "#1 Zero." If you're looking for Rage Against The Machine, you won't find it here, but I think RATM fans might be pleasantly surprised, and would certainly recommend giving it a try - after all, if they were meant to be RATM they wouldn't be called Audioslave. Excellent work. // 8

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2005

Sound: Very Audioslave. Yet, really different to the first album. "Be Yourself" and "Your Time has Come" are what you might expect from the guys, alongside "Man Or Animal," which reminded very much of the rocking "Cochise" from the first record, with Tom Morello cracking out a beast of a solo towards the end. Real Audioslave, real music. I can't argue with this. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics are just fantastic (Listen to "Your Time Has Come"). They mean a lot in places, often showing their campaigning spirit (They're active supporters of Axis Of Justice). However, they're not as meaningful as everyone might expect. Mind you, no one band will write lyrics that suit one individual. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to their first record, this is much better, with Tom being more experimental with effects (Listen to the solo in "Man Or Animal," or the main riff from "#1 Zero"). Chris Cornell still has the best voice in the business, without a doubt. The best songs have to be "Be Yourself," "Man Or Animal," "Like A Stone (Live)", and "#1 Zero." You can't live without the album, I certainly couldn't. If it was stolen, I'd be straight back out to buy it again. If you say "I hate Audiogay because RATM/Soundgarden were better," get over it - that was then, this is now. And now is good. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2005

Sound: The sound in this album is definately a lot more varied than there was in Audioslave's self-titled effort, and that is definitely a good thing. While tracks like "Man Or Animal" recreate the frenetic, fast-paced frenzy of their debut album, songs like "Doesn't Remind Me" carry a much different tone, seeming to be even a little country-western inspired. While the first Audioslave album seemed to be more of a mishmash of Chris Cornell's early Soundgarden singing and Rage Against The Machine "bow chicka bow wow" guitar, Out Of Exile defines a sound that is unique from both, and it is definitely a step in a good direction. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Cornell is a confusing mixture of two extremes; he has a soothing, deep baritone that needs a slow, jazzy beat to be fully appreciated, and the classic high-pitched yell that made him famous in Soundgarden and was utilized again in Audioslave's first album. And while Cornell has an amazing singing voice and range, his lyrics leave a little less than expected. They're not really terrible, persay, but they aren't up to par with some of the better lyricists out there. In Out Of Exile, Cornell definitely seems like he is more comfortable with the band and keeps up with them at a much better pace and tone than he did a few years ago. // 8

Overall Impression: One thing I can say I definately love about this album is the sheer variety of tracks on it. It is definately more of a developed sound than their first album and is a very quality release. I would buy it again if it were stolen or losted. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoied Audioslave's first album, as well as to just about anyone who would listen to an "alternative rock" station or something of the sort. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: Carlson-online, on may 26, 2005

Sound: Well what can you say really, Audioslave are back big time! This CD moves further away from the original roots so RATM/Soundgarden, which can only be a good thing in my opinion. They have created there own sound now and to be frank, id have it over Rage anyday. On Out Of Exile, Tom trys a lot of new styles to his credit, and it rally makes the CD sound soo good. His solos are top notch, especially in "Yesterday Comes Tomorrow" which I absolutely love. On the Songs, the stand outs have to be "Man Or Animal" and "#1 Zero" (Which btw, is def the Bands Tour de Force, combining a ballady song, suited perfectly to Chris' Voice with the crash bang ending which rivals any Rage material, believe me). // 10

Lyrics: I am now even more convinced the Chris Cornell is the greatest singer of our time. Whether he is singly the softer songs such as "Heavens Dead" or screaming at the top of his voice, hes on top form. On the lyrics front, I think he has done yet another amazing job. Some might think that some are put there jsut to rhyme or whatever, but trust me every line has a reason for being there, even if you dont understand why! That's just Chris for you. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this CD is better than the brilliant first album. Any one of these songs could get to #1, if only it weren't for people buying bubblegum pop! Id rush out n buy it straight away if it were lost, and if stolen I'd probably hunt the guy who nicked it down for the rest of his life! // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 30, 2005

Sound: I sound the first time around, I loved their unique brand of hard rock. This time around, I love it even more. They must've spent the few years in between records perfecting their chemistry as a band, because they definately stepped up from how they sounded last time while still holding onto that distinctive "Audioslave" sound. Tom Morello does a lot of his avant-garde guitarplaying that we've come to know and love, as well as mixing in some old school hard rock sounds and solos that blend amazingly, and Chris Cornells vocals are astounding as always. // 10

Lyrics: I've always been a fan of Cornells lyrics. Very poetic, Very cryptic, but always beautiful or emotionally stirring. His lyrics always compliment his powerful voice and blend perfectly into the mood of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately better than their debut effort, which happens to be one of my favorite albums. The long wait in between records was really worth it. Diehard fans will be satisfied and anybody into good hard rock with some experimental guitar, powerful vocals, beutiful melodies, and mammoth riffage will find comfort in Audioslave's amazing second effort. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2005

Sound: Let me start it off by saying I told you so 'cause my review of Audioslave's debut tells you this ablum is sweet and did they disapoint? I love Audioslave way more than Soungarden and they are defintley tied with RATM. Their sound has got that blend that I've been wating to hear, Rage had a blend of sound and I have finally heard Audioslaves at their full potential. Kick ass bass riffs goin in the back, Brad Wilk at drums and Tom Morello's awsome guitar style. It's all here. // 10

Lyrics: chris cornell Can anything more be said? He has the best lyrics ever, even with a tint of age in him he still kicks a lotto ass. // 10

Overall Impression: I love Soundgarden I love Rage and now I love Audioslave more then both of them. I knew they would be better than they ever were as Rage or Soundgarden once things started kicking and here we are. Album of the year in my opinion I'll take this album over System Of A Down's new Mezmerize any day and thats coming from an abbesessed fan of SOAD! // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2005

Sound: Audioslave has definitely progressed in songwriting from their first try, going from crunching guitar, frankenstein drumming and monotone lyrics to flowing guitar, great drumming and lyrics with a band sound that just fits. What more can I say? But seriously, morello, ease up on your solos. The old school noise on Doesn't remind me and dandelion were the only solos that fit the mood. And maybe the minor scale in Be Yourself. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics were another thing that became better, with Be Yourself blowing me away; Cornell knows how to sing with some of Morello's simpler background riffs. I particularly liked Your Time Has Come, though Cornell is almost entirely drowned out in some portions. The part of the album where Cornell simply sucked was in Drown Me Slowly's and The Worm's choruses, great phrases, but butchered in some parts by Cornell's voice being so obviously strained. // 8

Overall Impression: Audioslave needs to find a musical niche. Out Of Exile was a great demonstration if Audioslave wants to play a bit of everything, but I find myself putting songs into two different categories; hardcore muscle (The Worm, Man Or Animal) and easier rock, stuff that sounds like it came out of the '70s (Dandelion and Doesn't Remind Me). Audioslave, overall, I find a great listen. Definitely my favorite band, but if I were to change anything about it, I would take the whine out of Morello's solos and put more old school into it. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2005

Sound: This is one of the most well rounded albums iv ever listened to, it's got a song for every occasion. Morello's guitar effects just keep coming, the solo in yesterday comes tomorrow should is my favorite. // 10

Lyrics: I haven't really gone through all the lyrics but from what I've heard from listening to the songs they're good, atleast it seems that cornell's voice compliments them nicely. Oh and I particularly like Doesnt Remind Me's lyrics, for their originality and just strangeness, "I like colerful clothing in the sun, becuase it doesn't remind me of anything." I dont know what it means, but it doesn't remind me of anything either. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on the album in my opinion are Be Yourself, Yesterday Comes Tomorrow, and #1 Zero, with an honorable mention to Doesn't Remind Me. If this CD were stolen or lost I wouldn't go out and get another because after I purchased the CD I ripped all the songs to my computer, so I'd just burn me out another. Otherwise I would def repurchase, good CD. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2005

Sound: Just like Audioslave's first self-titled CD, Out Of Exile does not give a good first impression. But the more you listen to it, the better it gets. The band has a great sound, and the music itself is phenominal in the creation of this CD. You can really tell it's the style of Tom Morello. His style is an unheard of type of crunch guitar, soft, yet hard. I reccomend this CD as a "must have." // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty cool. Deep lyrics, yet one can still relate to them. The lyrics and the music matched perfectly, it was great team work. And the singer, Chris Cornell, well hes one of my favorite singers. His voice, the lyrics, the music, they all go together liek a puzzle. They are all unique and different, yet they all fit together to make a beautiful piece of art. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that you cant compare the 2 albums because they are both great. The song "Be Yourself" ia a master piece. I love the whole CD and I hate nothing about it, exept that I wanted more. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2005

Sound: Morello still sounds funky with this album, pulling out a solo much like Bulls On Parade's. It seems to my that the bass (Tim Commerford) has sort of "evolved" and gotten more complicated, the bass parts sound a little like Soundgardens to me. The guitar is still great, fast, catchy, gets stuck in your head, it's good, the drums still are solid, the sound's good, but it still just seems to blunt to me. // 8

Lyrics: Cornell's voice still amazes me, but the lyrics are a little off, much like some of Soundgardens songs, but I preffered RATM's lyrics, even though I don't mind Cornell's, they sometimes have a lot of meaning to me. But they're still a little generic. // 8

Overall Impression: The self-titled Audioslave CD is about the same as this one, they have different sounds, and the band evolved together, but theyre still the same quality music. I'll always be a die-hard Rage fan, but I think I can put up with the A-Slaves new music. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2005

Sound: Firstly I just want to say this is definitely not a bad album. I was not angry with it, I still listen to it occasionally, it's just I wasn't satisfied with it. The first Audioslave album had definite flaws, but it really showed promise. It contained a couple of standout tracks such as 'Shadow On The Sun' and 'Cochise' but as a whole album seemed flawed. It just wasn't coherent which seemed reasonable with the limited period that the band worked on the album, and the friction between Cornell and the rest of the group. So I was eager to hear this album expecting it to be a classic. So why isn't it? It certainly sounds less disjointed but it still fails. It tries to hit the mainstream and seems plain and ordinary which it certainly shouldn't, considering the huge musical talent of its members. Its rockier songs seem fairly plain and will certainly not be remembered as classics. 'Your Time Has Come' is alright with a thundering drumbeat, decent base and typically impressive guitar from Morello, and yet still doesn't amaze. It seems rather unemotional and ordinary which would be fine if it wasn't one of their better songs. The same dazzling guitar work, base and drumming continues in 'Drown Me Slowly', 'Man Or Animal', 'Out Of Exile', and 'The Worm' and yet none of the songs seem to reach any great heights. 'Man Or Animal' seems the most energetic and frantic of the work and as such is more impressive than the others despite its relative simplicity. Morello's guitar work continues to amaze and I can't begin to know how he accomplishes the tricks he does. Likewise Brad Wilk's drumming is sharp and impressive but fails to standout on most tracks like someone like John Bonham or Dave Grohl does. The base lines are still heavy like they were in RATM days but are not as prominent as they were and don't seem to control the album. Together the artists seem almost to compete at technical brilliance and not work towards creating classic rock songs. Perhaps these heavier songs will dazzle live, but on the album they seem flat and unconvincing. The softer songs also seem less than convincing. 'The Curse' is a pretty good track and 'Be Yourself' really has grown on me although I found it very poppy on first listen. 'Dandelion' is just a week song. Its guitar tune in the verse is very bland and the chorus just seems cheesy. As annoying as 'Doesn't Remind Me' is it is still a likable song and one that you want to sing and is probably the best pop rock song on the album. '#1 Zero' is alright, it builds up to a decent riff and ending but is not exceptional and kind of dies a limp death. Together this album is alright. It is not as disjointed as its predecessor but neither does it contain its energy. Perhaps if the album contained three or four great songs the album would succeed but without them you turn the album on and all of sudden the album has finished. It does not grab your attention and is certainly not the rock classic I had hoped for. // 6

Lyrics: I like Chris Cornell. He has an amazing range of vocals and yet still can convey a huge level of emotions in his songs. In Soundgarden his vocals really added to the songs and the bands sound. This album sounds more like Temple Of A Dog, his one album side project when he seemed to sing over the songs, and yet here he doesn't even seem emotional attached. From his attitude in interviews I've read he still seems frustrated with this band and that really comes through in the songs. His vocals, though still considerable, seem flat and void of much emotion. It sounds almost as if he's singing someone else's songs. And it seems like he is when you read the lyrics. Few of the songs seem truly open with the rest appearing to be ridiculously poppy or written by the politically active Morello. The lyrics of 'Your Time Has Come' seem to be strongly influenced by the rest of the band and as such Cornell seems bored with them when he sings them, taking away from the atmosphere of the song. The Chorus of 'Be Yourself' just seems deliberately fake and I felt mildly insulted by them when I heard it. I would of expected the lyrics from Avril but not Cornell. Likewise goes with 'Dandelion'. The lyrics from the rest of the album are alright, but not as emotional or impressive as from his Soundgarden days. Perhaps they would have come across better if he put more into singing them, but the lack of interest in the songs means the lyrics come off unconvincing. Although most of the lyrics are fairly good and his vocals still demonstrate talent he sings them as if he doesn't want to be there and really doesn't care. // 6

Overall Impression: Together this album fails to convince. It is not a bad album, but never reaches the heights that it should. It misses the political anger of RATM that made the band so convincing and the emotion and atmosphere that made Soundgarden such an unlikely hit. If this album did not have the rock pedigree of its artists it is unlikely it would be as popular as it is. Although it is unfair to compare the band with the member's previous bands it is hard not to, and when you do this album surely falls short. The band attempts to court both pop and rock fans and yet fails in both. It should choose a direction together and follow it. As it stands Cornell seems definitely bored and his lyrics and vocals don't really seem to tie in with the songs accept in rare instances. Either the group need to work closer with Cornell or boot him out because if this album is an example the band don't seem to be going anywhere together. As much as I wanted to love this album I just couldn't. Audioslave could and should, reach far greater musical heights and definitely have it in them to create a great classic. But fans are kidding themselves if they claim this is it. // 6

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: F.A.L.S.E.R., on july 13, 2005

Sound: The sound is great to state it simply. Since their first self-titled album Commerford's bass lines have gotten more compicated and more catchy, even though they sometimes slip back into boring bass lines but thats rare on this album. Morello is a genius to say the least. His hammer-ons and togglewithc solos, accompanied by a sort of guitar turn-table deal going on in "Drown Me Slowly," and the drums still fit every song they're played on and have great tempo. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Cornell has one of the best rock voices I think, he has a powerful voice fit for the lyrics he sings, deep and meaningful. There are all kinds of messages, from self loathing "The Worm" hints of a war song in "Your Time Has Come," but overall the whole CD is uplifting and positive with songs and ballads like "Dandelion," "Doesn't Remind Me" (positive in the end), "Be Yourself" etc. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a non-stop record! There arn't failure tracks. I'd say 8 or 9 or maybe 10 are hit songs. The rest definately arn't fillers. Their previous album was similar, but also very different, and I think that this one will rise above its predecesor. If you put both albums together and set your CD player to shuffle you can hear that they are similar in some ways, but also distinct in many other ways. There was only one thing that I didn't like, I wanted more songs. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: Briteless, on september 26, 2005

Sound: This album was great, the sound was so different from all the other CDs I have listened to in the past. The guitar player really brought out some great riffs and solos, like the very catchy "Be Yourself," and "Your Time Has Come." // 10

Lyrics: The singer had some great skills, although he had some trouble yelling. The lyrics were well written, nothing innovative or magical, but they still worked very well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was a fantastic addition to my library, and I have listened to it quite a lot since I bought it. I was quite sketchy about it at first, seeing as how I had only heard one song on it. But, there are tons of great tunes on it, and I cannot wait until another album from Audioslave. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: guitarbreaker, on october 01, 2005

Sound: It is a better album than Audiolaves self title. Tom Morrelo plays more like his RATM days on it. Drums are okay but the bass has some pretty good licks in it. This album sounds like modern rock with mixture of grunge and indie. The Worm has one best solos out of album. Dandelion has kind of a indie feel to it and probary best song on the album. Most of songs are radio friendy. // 8

Lyrics: Very creative on the lyrics, some did not make sense but some flowed. Most lyrics went along with songs. Hard or soft, like doesnt remind me is soft sleeping feel the lyrics go along with it in slow steady pace, but solo would wake you up. I would have Chris Cornell vocals are not as well as they used to be in Soundgarden, but have improved from the self title. // 7

Overall Impression: This album definatly beats there first album, but of course it doesnt stand a chance against Rage or Soundgarden. Some Impressive songs are Out Of Exile, Dandelion, Doesn't Remind Me, #1 zero. I love the solos, not to found of singing. I would definatly buy it if it was stolen. // 8

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: rawmetalkills, on november 16, 2005

Sound: Wow! That's what you think if you are a guitar player and listen to the sounds that Tom Morello makes on his awesome guitar. On the back of the inside cover it says that all the sounds were made by the guitar, bass, drums and, vocals. This record is so god because you don't here guitar this good now a days. The main music styles incorporrated into this album would sound a bit like classic rock, mixed in with some electronic here and there (only made by T. M. 's guitar) but mostly rock. This is one of my favorit CDs and whoever is into rock should buy this album! // 10

Lyrics: I was pretty impressed with the lyrics. Even though the musicians are previously the musicians for the huge Anti-Flag, Rage Against The Machine, they didn't incorporate their views on politicks much in this album. I really like the way that the singer sounds and would like to here more fom him. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of the best rock albums in a long time, guitar wise. My favorite song, I would have to say, would be, Your Time Has Come. I love the guitar, nothing to hate 'bout this album. If I ever lost it I would deffinately go out and buy it again. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on january 05, 2006

Sound: Firstly I just want to say this is definitely not a bad album. I was not angry with it, I still listen to it occasionally, it's just I wasn't satisfied with it. The first Audioslave album had definite flaws, but it really showed promise. It contained a couple of standout tracks such as 'Shadow On The Sun' and 'Cochise' but as a whole album seemed flawed. It just wasn't coherent which seemed reasonable with the limited period that the band worked on the album, and the friction between Cornell and the rest of the group. So I was eager to hear this album expecting it to be a classic. So why isn't it? It certainly sounds less disjointed but it still fails. It tries to hit the mainstream and seems plain and ordinary which it certainly shouldn't, considering the huge musical talent of its members. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty cool. Deep lyrics, yet one can still relate to them. The lyrics and the music matched perfectly, it was great team work. And the singer, Chris Cornell, well hes one of my favorite singers. His voice, the lyrics, the music, they all go together liek a puzzle. They are all unique and different, yet they all fit together to make a beautiful piece of art. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a non-stop record! There arn't failure tracks. I'd say 8 or 9 or maybe 10 are hit songs. The rest definately arn't fillers. Their previous album was similar, but also very different, and I think that this one will rise above its predecesor. If you put both albums together and set your CD player to shuffle you can hear that they are similar in some ways, but also distinct in many other ways. There was only one thing that I didn't like, I wanted more songs. // 8

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 11, 2006

Sound: This album was a successor to an awesome debut album. To tell you the truth this album was as good as its previous album. At the same time it sounded the same as its predecessor. All the same this was a spectacular album, the best part about it was the innocence in its verses and the emotion filled chorus followed by tom morello's trademark solos. The album has a variety of moods and tones. It is perhaps the album that proves that Audioslave are here to stay as a band and there first album was not just a flash in the pan. // 9

Lyrics: Well, after their first album I wasn't sure if they could come up with such litrary genius again. But, I thought wrong. Speaking about the lyrics, the track Your Time Has Come is the best. The other thing one would observe in this album is the fact that their songs, Doesn't Remind Me, Your time has come and so on have an underlying political idea. The have a deeper meaning than what you hear, and that is the brilliance of Audioslave's writing. With this album the vocalist has made it clear that he is not an ex-Soundgarden lead singer but an Audioslave lead singer. Chris has done a phenominal job, with almost impossible ease in tracks like Doesn't Remind Me and Out Of Exile. The music goes with the voice and the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of Exile, the album is another reason one has to admit that Audioslave is the band which is at its litrary peak. Great solos, by Tom Morello have proved that he remains the best of the nu crop. Great drums in the tracks. This album's best songs undoubtedly are Your Time Has Come, Doesn't Remind Me, Be Yourself and Out Of Exile. For rock lovers this is the album. I reccommend you to hear Your time Has come, it is the best song both lyrically and musically. So, if it were up to me I'd rate this album among the best albums of 2006. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: pontino, on august 07, 2006

Sound: I expect many people looking into audioslave are curious of the Rage Against The Machine/Soundgarden thing. And they sound not much like either. There is less aggression than on a RATM album, partly due to Zakk De La Rocha not being there. Similarly, it's a far way from Soundgarden's grunge. Tom Morello is on top form with his effect-loaded solos, although at times you wish he'd be a little more conventional. The rest of the band are fine and Morello fits in really well, he doesn't sound like he's on a different planet with all his effects etc. There are some good riffs, with guitar and bass coming together beautifully. It's not as rock and sometimes mellow compared to anything RATM & Soundgarden have done, and there are not as many songs like Cochise, with in-yer-face energy. The sound is hard to describe but brilliantly captured. // 9

Lyrics: There is no doubting Chris Cornell's vocal prowess, and he sounds really good on this. A big factor of RATM was the politics behind the lyrics, something Cornell doesnt't factor into his songs. He writes lyrics with meaning and delivers them in a heartfelt way. // 9

Overall Impression: When I bought this, it was this or The Battle Of Los Angeles by RATM, and this is really good. Standout tracks are Your Time Has Come, Dandelion and Doesn't Remind Me, although they are all great. I love Morello's sound and Cornell's voice, and I would get it again and again if I lost it. You really need to experience it. // 9

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: larry jones, on september 25, 2006

Sound: Out Of Exile is a great improvement from Audioslave's debut album, as Cornell and the musicians from Rage take their songs past verse chorus verse chorus etc. Each song builds up to the guitar solo or coda of the song, unlike their self-titled debut where songs seemingly had no planned ending (examples include "Like A Stone" and "Cochise"). Audioslave's sound is further built upon by a combination of "new" styles that the band has experimented with under Cornell's leadership in songs like "Dandelion" (a psychadelic tune) and "Heaven's Dead" where a soft and delicate guitar solo is placed between heavy guitar riffs beautifully by Tom Morello. The band makes vast improvements that make Out of Exile that much better than it's impressive predecessor. // 9

Lyrics: Chris Cornell has an undeniable amount of singing talent, as he elevates his singing and songwriting in songs like "Doesn't Remind Me" and "The Worm". His leadership of the band is obvious, as his voice perfectly matches the guitar parts in each song on the album. Cornell is determined to make a point with this album, and he likely has made his point very well, due in part to his great contributions to this band. // 10

Overall Impression: Out Of Exile brings the guitar solo back to rock 'n' roll dominated by poppy tunes and "emo-esque" lyrical banter in songs like "Doesn't Remind Me" and "Dandelion", as well as keeping in touch with '70s rock influences throughout the entire album. This album gives everyone a reason to get excited about the future of rock 'n roll into the 21st century. // 10

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: TJM2482, on february 04, 2008

Sound: Audioslave is the incarnation of members from Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine. Their sound is straight rock. Despite being made up of members of bands' past, Audioslave is a new animal, they sound very different from their past bands. This of course, is exactly why some people both love them, and hate them. If you're looking into Audioslave, I'm sure you already know of Chris Cornell and Tom Morello. They are the main cog in the Audioslave machine, as you'll come to find out. Morello mixes basic riffs and crazy soloing. This comes from his expansive knowledge of how the electric guitar works, as well as a handy dandy Digitech Whammy pedal. The sound of this record is ever changing, you get upbeat radio singles, dark, sorrowful slower songs, and stuff in between. The songs are solid, I don't think they're nearly as good as the debut album, but the solos are definitely better on this record. // 8

Lyrics: Chris Cornell is a good singer. One of the best from the '90s. The only problem is that it isn't the '90s anymore. He still sounds good, but lacks that powerful downright scary range from his Soundgarden days. His songwriting is still top-notch, with a mix of deep lyrics and straight-forward meanings. I would say that the lyrics are even with their past effort, his voice isn't as good, but the lyrics are better. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion this album is their 2nd best out of a total of three albums. The riffs in Out of Exile aren't as good as their self-titled album, but the solos are better. It evens out to an album that gets close to their debut's quality, but it still falls short. I love the soloing, and the slower songs, and I really dislike how some songs like "Doesn't Remind Me" have a kick ass solo, but the overall song is a tad corny. I would get it again, mainly because of the cool soloing, and the fact that I'd be supporting Tom Morello. // 8

Out Of Exile Reviewed by: fan413, on june 09, 2011

Sound: The sound was nice. It was similar to their eponymous CD. There were a few songs that sounded more country-influenced, which I am not a fan of. I also didn't like Tom Morello's solos on the CD. I don't think they fit in with Audioslave music. They fit in much better with Rage Against The Machine's music and sound. So I thought the approach to the solos could have been different. They also sound very repetitive. The drums and bass and vocals are fine. No one section overpowers the others. // 7

Lyrics: Cris Cornell is a good singer. He fits in well with the group. I like his voice, and he has a decent range. I like the lyrics in "Be Yourself" and "Doesn't Remind Me" especially. They flow well, and have a good message. Other than that, none of the lyrics really stand out. // 6

Overall Impression: This album, to me, is nothing special. I'm rather disappointed by it. I'm new to Audioslave; my friend let me borrow the CD. I wasn't expecting them to come out sounding like Rage Against The Machine or anything, but nothing really impresses me on the album. The best songs are "Be Yourself" and "Doesn't Remind Me". I didn't like the title track. Average record. If I did own a copy, I wouldn't care if I lost it or someone took it. // 6

More Audioslave reviews rating latest review
+ Audioslave 9.1 11/23/2012