Thrill Seeker Review

august burns red: Thrill Seeker
Release Date: Nov 8, 2005
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Doom Metal
While it's not an absolute masterpiece, it's a fine debut and shows the sky's the limit for these guys.
 8.6
 7.7
 9.5
Thrill Seeker Reviewed by: tremorse7en, on january 21, 2008

Sound: Immediately after hearing this record shortly after it was released, I thought that ABR would become the forerunners of the Metalcore genre. To me, they have followed through with this goal further than perhaps any other band. Bringing a sound that is known only to them, ABR offers heavy and melodic guitar riffs, often flawless percussion and drums, and a breakdown that would make my grandmothers hips shatter. I have read another review of this album that stated "There isn't much melody that I can pick out" and that "ABR is just one huge jumbled up chaotic heavy metal armageddon," but the album deserves much more credit than this. Well produced by Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage, Thrill Seeker is 47 minutes of pure American Metalcore muscle. If there was any album chosen that set the bar for the genre in 2005, this was it. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics from Thrill Seeker are empowering as Endorphins' "Grab the wheel right now, and make this life yours," spiritual, and often push a message as A Shot Below The Belt's "What a bittersweet symphony life is, but I wouldn't have it any other way". It is sometimes hard to find lyrics in this genre that offer a supportive word or life lesson, but ABR manages to harness their musical talent and lay it out with a true lyrical meaning. Lyrics like "Unless we cherish all with pride, the lines on our face will turn into canyons of sorrow instead of hope" from Your Little Suburbia Is In Ruins set a new standard of meaning in lyrics for a genre which in my personal opinion sometimes struggles with this task. Vocal range is also shocking, as Josh McManness presents a full screaming range from a high shriek to a low growl, and all levels in between, even a rare speech. Aggressive and brash, his voice fits perfectly with the musical style. // 8

Overall Impression: Finding one comparable artist is difficult with ABR. They seem to harvest as many different influences as is imaginable. Though they have toured with such acts as Between The Buried And Me, Unearth, Bleeding Through, As I Lay Dying and The Chariot, their musical style is similar and different to all of them. All of these artists can be seen in ABR and vise/versa. As far as loving the album, it is one of my favorite albums I've ever purchased. Between this and their second album Messengers, I can only say that I am excited to see which direction they are ready to push their talents next. If this album was lost or stolen, I would buy another, and maybe another as a backup or to force ABR on a friend. // 9

Thrill Seeker Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 09, 2007

Sound: The sound of this band is total chaos kind of like Norma Jean but to a lesser degree. There isn't much melody that I can pick out but that doesn't mean other people don't hear it as well. The guitars and the vocals sound the same which sounds wierd but they interlock quite well. Bass is not even recognizable and the way these songs are formatted make ABR just one huge jumbled up chaotic heavy metal armageddon. // 7

Lyrics: They got a new singer for their second album Messengers and I prefer him as a matter of fact because hihs voice is a little lower in pitch and you can understand him better. The singer on this album just screams and screams and screams his lungs out on every track. He actually quit the band during a tour where I was going to see them with some other bands but the replacement just walked around stage looking pissed. The singing on this album wasn't great. The lyrics were not even discernable. // 6

Overall Impression: Norma Jean and The Chariot are the only other bands I can think of that even come close to sounding like ABR. When you listen to ABR, the things you want to do are: Beat Someone Up, Impound A Car, Drink A Lot Of Monster, Destroy Your Room. I recommend caution toward attempting to purchase this CD. I like Speach Impediment and Barbarian but that's it. // 7

More August Burns Red reviews rating latest review