Northern Lights Review

8.9
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Northern Lights Reviewed by: soul_enshrouded, on july 24, 2012

Sound: Aurora Borealis play a great mixture of black metal and death metal, with some obvious thrash influences. I would think of it as a mixture of Dark Funeral and Vader. The guitars on the album are, surprisingly, tuned to standard, and are constantly tremolo picking moderately technical passages. The band's guitarist/vocalist Ron Vento appears to be a very talented player. The drums on the album are fierce and tight, and are played by former Hate Eternal drummer Derek Roddy, though I may add that the kit used is somewhat 'clicky'. I recently found out that bass was not recorded for this album - but I personally don't think the album needs it, Ron lays down enough guitar tracks to cover up for it. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are quite different from many death/black metal bands, as most focus on the debate on religion (Behemoth, Necrophobic). They seem to be about the night, space, and darkness. I find the lyrics go especially well with the music. On to the vocals. Vocalist/guitarist Ron Vento uses a piercing shriek, which I enjoy to a certain degree, however on songs such as "Sky Dweller" the vocals can become annoying. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I would say this is a great album for fans of death/black metal. I'd say it easily beats modern bands playing a similar sound. The most impressive tracks are "Images In The Nightsky", "Enter The Halls", "Sky Dweller" (minus the vocals), and "Thrice Told". What I love about this record are the guitar riffs - Ron Vento seems to have entered my mind and stolen all of my good riffs. The drums, of course, are great, despite the 'clicky' sound that occasionally stands out. What I hate about this album are the vocals on some tracks, particularly on "Thrice Told" and "Sky Dweller" (as mentioned). Another thing I'd like to point out is the overabundance of blast beats - I think Derek could throw a bit of variety in on a few of the tracks. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definitely hunt down a copy of it, but sadly, I believe this album is out of print. // 9

Comments