The Scarecrow Review

avantasia: The Scarecrow
Released: Jan 25, 2008
genre: Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal
Label: Nuclear Blast Records
The Scarecrow is the third full-length Avantasia album by German power metal vocalist Tobias Sammet, released January 25th, 2008, on Nuclear Blast Records.
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
The Scarecrow Reviewed by: era trogdor, on september 25, 2008

Sound: i love this album. starting out with twisted mind, an epic song, not very advanced guitar line, but lyrics are amazing. A very nice guitar intro. Onto the scarecrow, the 12 minute long epic song. This is without a doubt my favorite track from the album, featuring roy kahn from kamelot. But this album does have it's downsides, mainly two songs that don't fit with the mood of the album, lost in space and what kind of love, lost in space just loses the album's metal like feel, as does what kind of love. Still a very great sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are just epic. unlike the metal opera, none of these songs carry into the rest (although I did hear the phrase twisted mind in the scarecrow. Not sure what's going on about that) each song is potentially it's own story, but the lyrics aren't really specific. Unlike the metal opera, it doesn't name specific events happening. Leaving it to you're imagination. Tobias sammet is (in my impression) one of the greatest singers in the metal opera today, his voice just carries a certain... epicness to it. he has phenomenal singing skills. And also plays bass decently. he's no geddy lee, but he's still amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album definitely left an imprint on me. Not the best album I've ever heard, but boy it's near the top. Everything about this album is amazing. The guitars in another angel down are phenomenal, as are the lyrics. But the most impressive is still the scarecrow, best inging I've heard in a while. If it was stolen/lost I wouldn't need to buy it again (thank you ipod) but if I had no ipod, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

More Avantasia reviews rating latest review
+ The Mystery Of Time 8.7 04/12/2013