Avenged Sevenfold Review

avenged sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold
Release Date: Oct 30, 2007
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Hard Rock, Metal, Metalcore
Avenged Sevenfold's songwriting has progressed and quite clearly matured on their latest release, and this is arguably a more complete album than City of Evil was, although it has certain flaws.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.5
 8.6
 8.4
Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 30, 2007

Sound: Beginning with a macabre funeral-like introduction to Critical Acclaim, it doesn't take long for Synyster Gates' guitar playing to enter the fray dramatically signaling for the rest of the band to enter double time and take it from there. The production is slick, it's clean, it's impressive, in terms of audio quality, but the drums sound a little processed for my liking. The use of piano in songs like Critical Acclaim and A Little Piece of Heaven sacrifices the prominence of Synyster's lead guitar, although he does make use of the whammy bar and quick fingers in many of the songs on show. The return to use of other instruments to complement Synyster's lead playing is also evident on Afterlife, a personal highlight of the album because it causes one to wonder what A7X would sound like backed by an orchestra. In terms of guitar playing, Synyster and Vengeance play off each other well, albeit incorporating a little much of the generic metal chug in the rhythm playing for my liking. On Almost Easy, Synyster widdles his way through a solo accompanied by a piano for the latter section. It is this embrace of progress that remains Avenged Sevenfold's greatest asset, easily a contender for most refreshing hard rock moment of the year. For versatility's sake, Avenged Sevenfold go country, folk and blues on Gunslinger, which has to be heard to be believed, particularly when it comes from a band that once recorded Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. It's the reflective, nostalgic song of the album in many ways. Unbound (The Wild Ride) is perhaps my favourite on the album with it's intricate, emotional lead guitar lines throughout, which manage to mirror M.Shadows' vocal melody lines; this song is a highlight for all members of the band, and provides the listener with trademark Synyster Gates, complemented by a piano/keyboard. Scream initiates with what can only be called a woman's scream, before Synyster plays a descending sequence to signify the beginning of the track. However, it seems a little out of place on the album. The flow of the album certainly stutters here, as is the nature of the track. Despite Synyster's attempts to redeem the track with a fluid guitar solo, the lyrics end up dragging this track down. The ability to put their own twist on Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden tradition of harmonising lead guitar parts is most clearly illustrated on Lost to great effect. Avenged Sevenfold may rely heavily on their influences, namely Metallica and Iron Maiden, but their ability to incorporate orchestral moments on this album provides some much needed energy and a unique touch to their sound. // 8

Lyrics: Unbound (The Wild Ride) also proves to be a vocal highlight of the album, with M.Shadows soaring in the melody of the choruses, typically City of Evil. Critical Acclaim is arguably a defence of US foreign policy to go to war in Iraq. "So, how does it feel to know that someone's kid in the heart of America, has blood on their hands fighting to defend your rights, so you can maintain the lifestyle that insults his family's existence? Fine, they're expressing their political beliefs, but they fail to elaborate on how the troops are guaranteeing anyone's rights, although I do applaud them for recognising that all of the finger pointing regarding the occupation of Iraq has resulted in a lack of respect for the efforts of most troops to do their job. Unbound (The Wild Ride) also proves to be a vocal highlight of the album, with M.Shadows soaring in the melody of the choruses, typically City of Evil. He strives for excellence on A Little Piece of Heaven, which wouldn't sound out of place on a Tim Burton soundtrack for its Nightmare Before Christmas styling. Furthermore, Shanna Crooks gets A7X in touch with their feminine side offering some female vocals on three tracks to break A7X's usual boundaries. Lyrically, A7X can leave a lot to be desired at times, but M.Shadow's delivery and conviction balances the equation. The one dominating failure is Scream, and that is just a case of personal taste. Avenged Sevenfold is one of my guilty pleasures, and perhaps I should be able to admit this more openly in the future. // 7

Overall Impression: Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album is proof that they are here to stay in that they have delivered an album that has definitely seen the band progress from City of Evil's heights. It is difficult to say how well this offering shall be received by the mainstream, but expectations should be high, not because this album is more radio friendly, but because it should appeal to a wider audience than City of Evil did. If one track were to be picked out as a microcosm of the album, it would most certainly have to be A Little Piece of Heaven, an eight-minute opus including all of the best parts of the album. Avenged Sevenfold's existing fan base should be satisfied with this attempt, although one drawback is that there are only ten songs to listen to, not counting one or two bonus tracks which I hear are of old material anyway. Perhaps it won't be long before M.Shadows an co return to the studio. Find out about the Avenged Sevenfold MVI version of this release at this location. // 8

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: fatwanker, on october 30, 2007

Sound: This is the bands 4th album which is self titled, which to me seems like they've ran out of ideas. There are 10 tracks on the album, none of them even come close to comparing to their first 3 albums, they are slow, boring, and seem very rushed just to get it out onto the market. 01. Critical Acclaim - starts out with what I tihnk is a organ, then goes into a guitar solo, after the guitar solo, it sounds like a huge mashup for a bit, then there is actually quite a good verse riff, the vocals are quite good up untill the chorus, where it sounds very raspy and out of key, after the first verse the rest of the verses just sound like mindless jibberish, untill the bridge, where the vocals actually pickup a bit, there is then another guitar solo, I have to say that the guitars in this song are quite good, but the vocals. I personally don't like them. 02. Almost Easy - again starting with a guitar solo, personally I think it sounds like a theme song to a sonic the hedgehog game, there really isn't much to say about this song, apart from the bridge, where the vocals are just repeated over and over, this gets very repetitive and annoying, there is a guitar solo in this song too, which sounds like the same few notes repeated over and over again, nothing too spectacular, whereas the song itself as a whole I find quite catchy despite the annoyances in it. I rated this 4/5 solely on the fact that it's catchy. 03. Scream - this song starts off and you think, "This could be a good song", the lick in the intro/verse gets very annoying and repetitive, there again is a guitar solo in it, which isn't quite as repetitive as in the other 2 tracks, but again based solely on the fact that the song is pretty catchy. 04. Afterlife - this is the only song I rated 5/5, it's starts with an orchestra, it then kicks into a very good solo, followed by some good riffs, the vocals are similar to the style from "City of Evil" in this track, bar the chorus, which is hard to describe, but it works, something else unusual about this song that I liked was the presence of an orchestra throughout the second half of the song, but I did find the backing vocals sub par, there is also a second guitar solo in this song, which I personally think is good, more like Synysters Gates' style, unlike the other solo's so far in this album. 05. Gunslinger - this is one of the better songs of the album, it starts with a good western style acoustic guitar chord progression, which then kicks into the riffage which kicks off the song, the guitar solo in this song is definately my favourite off the album, it's not shredding or anyhting, butit is filled with emotion, the only problem I have with this song is that it is too short, coming in at just about 4 minutes, I was hoping it would last much longer with it being one of the best off there. 06. Unbound The Wild Ride - another song that kicks in with a guitar solo, this is one of the faster paced songs off the album, everything in this song seems to mesh together nicely, The only things that I feel lets this song down, is that there is a choir singing in the background too, and the fact that what sounds like an 8 year old girl singing the final verse, I just don't feel that this fits in with the song properly. 07. Brompton Coctail - there's not really too much to say about this song, bar the fact that it seems like the guitars have been replaced with synths/keyboards for a large portion of the song, the vocals in this song work well with the music though which is a plus, this song is quite repetitive and seems rushed guitar-wise as it seems like all they are playing is powerchords. 08. Lost - this is one of the songs that I gave a higher rating to, with a harmonised guitar intro, which I might add, sounds very good, this song seems like they spent a lot more time on it than some of the others, everything meshes together very well, there is a harmonised guitar solo in this one too, which I think is superb. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - to be blunt this song is terrible, It reminds me of a bunch of childrens cartoons theme tunes put together mixed with Panic! at the disco, it is also very long and boring, at over 8 minutes of cheesey lyrics, and what sounds like a childrens pantomime/cartoon. 10. Dear God - this song is kinda slow and boring, all throughout, it starts off similar to track 9, but does pickup a bit, with a guitar solo, which I can't exactly call great, and very very slow. Overall, I was expecting a lot from this album, but it just failed to deliver. // 5

Lyrics: As usual Avenged Sevenfold wrote some good lyrics, the lead vocals from M. Shadows was average, the main problem I had with the vocals was the backing, Whoever was doing them blatantly can't sing. The lyrics did actually fit the music though, the only track that stopped me from putting this in as 8/10 was track 9 "A little piece of heaven" It was the sort of thing I would of expected a childrens pantomime, not from a metal band. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to their previous 3 albums, this is total garbage, I myself am quite a big fan of Avenged Sevenfold, but I don't see myself listening to this very often, if at all, there are only 3 or 4 good tracks on there, which aren't particularly amazing, if this CD were stolen or lost. I'd say good riddance to it. // 6

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: fcuk, on october 30, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold, Man where do I start the killer solos by Synyster Gates or the crazy hard-to-copy drum lines of The Reverend Bartholomew Plague or do I start with the almost addicting aura around all there songs? Well in the alternative music category they rank pretty high up there, but enough about glorifying them now for the review. The bands sound is something that is rarely copied, it's a certain hardness from the solos to the vocals that make A7X amazing. I could listen to all their songs over and over again and not get tired one single bit. I've tried to scrutinize the band for any mistakes but the problem is I can't find any thing wrong, from the first time I heard second heartbeat I was hooked. The album does not have any particular story to it but, there are songs that are connected such as unbound and Brompton Cocktail by the sound effect of a heartbeat. Music styles? from the looks of the album they went all out on the instruments and styles from the choir to subtle null of the violin, they've used everything. The sound is a new refined Avenged Sevenfold sound that can only be explained by listening to the album when it comes out October 30. // 9

Lyrics: M. Shadows returns for the 4th time, this time with more bad-a** vocals than ever before. There is also M. Shadows girlfriend Shanna Crooks is in 3 of their songs and there is some sort of choir incorporated in most of their songs. The Music and the lyrics go hand and hand in a seamless performance of A7X. Singer skills? M. Shadows is very good but he is amazing in this one. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Critical Acclaim - this mix of hardcore riffs, insane drum lines, and political messages make this song easily great. 02. Almost Easy - a very typical avenged sevenfold song singing of it's almost easy to come back to him topped off with a good but not the best solo. 03. Scream - I couldn't stop listening to this song, it reminds me of a really good horror movie, But seriously this should be in a horror movie with one the best solos that Synyster has ever done: excellent hands down. 04. Afterlife - another reason why I listen to A7X, it's uniqueness from the violin at the beginning, it's makes you think of what the afterlife might be like. 05. Gunslinger - if you have ever listened to Strength of the World this will remind you of that song, it talks of the westerns saying "after all the things we do, it wont matter if I'm coming home to you" meaning of all the things we do I probably wont be coming home to you. 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - this song is one of my all time favorite songs because of the fast paced beat and the guitar is unbelievable, I didn't know syn could play that good! 07. Brompton Cocktail - this song just has this inexplainable aura to it with the African drums in the beginning to the violins throughout the song, this song is one of A7X best songs. 08. Lost - this song is reminiscent of city of evil with the fast paced guitar to the insane double bass it's good but could be better. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - this song is by far my favorite A7X song ever, it incorporates every instrument I can think of, it has to have a orchestra in it, if you don't like this song you should go play in traffic. 10. Dear God - this song just isn't avenged it's sounds more like country than anything, sure it's a good song but I didn't think avenged wanted to go that way in writing songs. I love everything about this album it's by far their best. If it was stolen or lost well I don't know what I would do except buy it again. This album is well worth the money, and if you love A7X you should buy it. // 10

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: fishmunky, on november 06, 2007

Sound: I'll break the album down song by song: 01. Critical Acclaim - this album kicks off with ominous sounds of organs and quick guitar solo, before moving into pummeling drums and noisy guitar bends. The main riff of the song is simple but fairly strong, something easy to headbang along with. so far so good, the spoken word parts give Shadows a platform to rant about his hate for the liberal media. The guitar solo is thrown in after the bridge, decnt but nothing overly inspiring, The singing is better n this track then it was on the previous album 02. Almost Easy - again the song opens with a guitar solo, and a quick crushing riff that I can't help but think I've heard before. The rest of the song is ok, easy to see why they picked it as the first single, singable chorus and a good rhythm. Guitar solo is more fun than the last song, but the sweeping runs seem to be thrown in at random, the secondary solo sounds better, the bridge is the most singable part of the song. 03. Scream - here we open with a woman screaming and a very heavy riff (kinda remainds of of Hellyeah's Star, except there's an awesome picking run that accompanies it), the pre chorus riff is very groove worthy, the song has kind of a sexy vibe to it, more so than anything they'd released before, I can see this song being the next tune to be released from this album. The guitar solo in this song fits better than in any of the previous two tracks, and a lead line continues playing under the bridge which sounds really good. So far it's the stand out track on the CD. 04. Afterlife - this track opens with a string section and you kind of expect something slower paced, until the guitars come in, another opening solo, this one is the best sounding so far. First time I've been able to hear the bass on this album in on this track. the riffs are ok on this track, nothing to call home about. the vocals are more varied on this track. The chorus is insanely catchy. The riff in the verse seems to sound better the second time through. the strings come back in about half way through the song for the bridge, it actually sounds really nice, minus the additional vocals, it ruins the feel of the bridge. Another guitar solo that seems to follow the same formula of fast run, slow run. oh well at least they changed things up and added another fast run and a whammy dive. the laughter after the solo kind of ruins the songs sort of sombre vibe. Good track but had potential to be the best song on the album. 05. Gunslinger - here's a change, we open with an acoustic guitar and some slide playing and not a guitar solo. The most original song on the album so far, his vocals fit in with the acoustic and slide vibe perfectly. the chorus comes in and sounds suberb, especially with just the acoustic playing. The heavy riff comes in and it's so far the simplest and best sounding riff of the the album, his vocals switch to fit the electric vibe, and it works. The chorus is still catchy, singable and sounds really good. The bridge goes back to an acoustic vibe, and it sounds fantastic. The guitar solo doesn't seem out of place and actually fits the vibe of the song fairly well, nothing unecessary or too flashy, very well put together. This is the best put together track on the album. 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - kicks off with a lead guitar line and some fun drumming, piano accompanies the singing in the verse, very pretty and kind of flashy. The chorus has some really interesting guitar lines played in it, to give the impression of a roller coaster, very clever. The second verse sounds like the piano and guitar trade off being flashy underneath the vocals. No real guitar solo but the amount of lead guitar in the song over prety much the whole song makes up for it. the song goes out with a what sounds like a little girl singing, adds a very creepy vibe to the song at the end, to accompany the piano. 07. Brompton Cocktail - the song fades it with what sounds like feedback, or a sound effect and into a decent riff. The riff becomes slower, and during the verse we get some strings which sounds super. The vocals are quite good on this track. The singing is enhanced by the additional vocals in the mix and the string section. The tempo for this song kind of gives the song tension, which really enhances it. The guitar solo is drenched in wah and kept short, which is a nice change. I can't help but eel there's something missing from this song, but I'm unsure what, something just prevents it from being a stand out track. 08. Lost - opens with some lead guitar lines, which then harmonize, which is standard for these boys by now I'm sure. The rest of the band kicks in and we're off and running as the drums keep this track at a quick pace. The singing style doesn't suit the track as well as it could, not that it's out of place, but it doesn't fit completely. The chorus has a vocal processing effect, which sounds weird at first but actually really enhances the sound, it's different and it works for this tune. underneath the processed vocals is a really cool lead guitar line and decent drumming. After the second chorus it goes into a guitar solo, which sounds harmonized again, and it works well. The bridge uses the vocal effect, but not as apparent as it is on the chorus, the chorus has a great solo being played over it as the song ends. Really this song is pretty good, definitely worth a listen, the vocals have to be heard to be appreciated on this one. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - this tracks starts off with horns and piano, and has a very ominous feel to it. Kind of has, I know it sounds weird, but a Hitchcockian vibe to it, well Hitchcock meets carnival music. Songs tells a really twisted story, the strangest song on the album, sounds like nothing they've done before. the strings come back before the 2 minute mark. For such a strange song the chorus is very melodic and has a very lighters in the air and sing along with the band vibe, which is not the vibe the rest of the song has. Oddly enough, it works in a very stange way. I think it's a testament to Shadows singing ability that this song works, it switch betweeen style with the music, his voice is the centrepiece of the song and he holds the tune together quite well. There's an additional female voice on this track and she seems to work well with Shadow's, and I guess their plan on throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this track. now it sounds like a church choir in this, and a voice that sounds oddly like marilyn manson playing the priest in this narrative track. This song is a marathon at 8 minutes long with so much going on in it. Really the strangest song on the album, and the weirdest part is how very little guitar playing you can hear in it. 10. Dear God - another song that starts off with an acoustic guitar, might even be a twelve string and some slide playing again. clearly this albums power ballad, the vocals fit the song really well, and this song will prbably be a single, as I'm sure this song will be a hit with the ladies and guys who want to have sex with ladies. the song has a sort of country vibe, and there is clearly a banjo playing in the chorus, which is just friggin awesome. more female vocals accompany shodows, but for no real purpose. The song is 6 and a half minutes long, but the last time you hear singing is at about 4 and a half minutes, the rest of the tune is guitar soloing, but it's pretty tasteful considering the type of song. I'm almost tempted to say thay this is kind of like a tribute to freebird, with the unecessary outro guitar solos. // 8

Lyrics: 01. Critical Acclaim - it's their foray into the politcal lyrics sphere. This song will surely get them an invite to Gov. Arnold's house in California, as it takes a decidedly republican stance on how the dastardly liberal media and celebrity protesters are douche bags for not supporting the war in Iraq and basically dumping on America's current republican adminstration. Lyrically it's actually pretty good, and the Shadows sounds awesome in this track. 02. Almost Easy - the first single and the I'm sorry I screwed up your life track. The vocals sound really good in this track, but lyrically it could be better, particularly the repetition of "I'm not insane". I feel it takes away from the song. The additional vocals during the chorus are really well done, and the bridge saves this track from mediocrity. 03. Scream - the sexy song in my opinion. The vocals, rifs, and lyrics give the song a really sexy kind of groove. The song is pretty much about banging, or killing broads, but that's really not as sexy. Though there is kind of a vampirism vibe to the lyrics. 04. Afterlife - the first of probably 5 songs on this album that deal with god, or the afterlife in some way shape or form. Song about dying prematurely with what I assume is his significant other. The chorus is really heartfelt, a sort of "its not my time, but when it is I hope you'll be here for me", mind you during the chorus he may even talking to god, asking for a stay of life, it's not my time, to be here but I hope to get back. I really like this song as the vocals and lyrics are really well done here, but the laughing after the guitar solo ruins the vibe the song had. 05. Gunslinger - the soldier at war who's coming home tune. The vocals and lyrics mesh well, and the song is really quite sad. God and prayer are mentioned in this one, this song is really well done and is still a highlight on the album. Doesn't break any new ground with these lyrics, but it's a brilliantly crafted tune. 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - this track seems to be about the importance of independecne, and how no one can hold him down. mind you it deals with it better than other tracks do. basically it's about going through life and learning to take things slowly. Live without fear and do what you have to do seems to be the overall lyrical theme. the choir in the song is a nice touch, as is the little girl at the end of the tune. 07. Brompton Cocktail - if Critical Acclaim got them an invitation to have an audience with the Republican party, this track will get them thrown out. Dealing with a fairly heavy topic of the right to die (mind you Death already played this card already). Lyrically this a good tune and the themes of God, Death and the afterlife come back into play here, with the protagonist of the song being convinced that god will forgive him when he dies, as his death to this illnes is inevitable. Assisted suicide a heavy topic and probably the most touchy topic on the album, but it almost makes for the best lyrics on the album. 08. Lost - this track kind of remains of the Wick End from the last album. This track kind of has a we are still doing things wrong here, there's still war and people doing bad things. This is the song with the vocal processor and it sounds really good. The song is a huge a downer with the feeling that our crappy selves are bringing about the end of the world 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - this song is vastly messed up but has a fairly comprehenisble narrative arc. Guy loves girlfriend, guy is paranoid and doesn't want her to leave him, guy kills girlfriend, guy violates corpse and keeps her around so he can continue to violate corpse. Girl ends up in hell, comes back from the dead, kills boyfriend. They have a sort of reconciliation after killing one another. They have creepy unholy union in hell, and are now apparently a pair of murderous spirits. The vocals are really what make this song work, honestly Shadows vocals are the glue that holds this 8 minute cut and paste song together 10. Dear God - the power ballad, very much in the vein of Home Sweet Home, Nothing else Matters and I Remember You. Old story, singer on the road misses his missus, asks God to make sure she's ok while he's not around, nothing new or groundbreaking but a sweet heart felt tune, cause I think he has to include at least one song about his girlfriend on every album. // 8

Overall Impression: They said it wasn't going to be another Waking The Fallen or City Of Evil, and they were right, it's differnt from both. It's more melodic than Waking The Fallen, but it's more focuesed and polished than City Of Evil. Standout tracks are Gunslinger, A Little Piece of Heaven, Lost, Bromton Cocktail and Critical Acclaim, but there's no really a bad song on the album. I am a fan of the band, but I think this was a really well put together album in spite of that. I think if I wasn't already a fan, I'd be a fan after this record. Some things could have been done better, but they took a few risks on this one, and really they stand out better when they try something new. I think the guitar playing and drumming was more focused on this album and the vocals were done better, his voice isn't as nasal as it was on the previous outing and there was more variety in his vocal style. I like the album, not the best album I've heard this year and there's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it's a solid effort and better than most of the stuff that's been released in this calendar year that were supposed "must have". Solid album and well worth the money. // 8

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: Lohnanmilitia, on november 07, 2007

Sound: So, Avenged Sevenfold decided that it was time they took the reigns, and produced their own album. Years before this, they decided that they wanted to stop screaming in their music. And this morning they probably all decided to get wasted tonight. All of these pissed somebody off somewhere, but that doesn't mean jack shit when it comes down to the nitty gritty of the product just released. This album is phenomenal. It is a no holds barred unleashing. The sound is tight. The tones the guitar players get sound beautiful. Nice and pretty to the in your face crunch, and everything in between. The only thing is that Johnny Christ's bass lines seem to get lost in the mix most of the time. It's hard to pinpoint what genre you would classify this as, but if you are a fan of just good music, it doesn't mean a thing. Sounding the Seventh Trumpet was a hardcore punk album, Waking The fallen was Metalcore, and City of evil was a guitar driven poppy hard rock. Avenged Sevenfold is definately not a poppy record. Some of the heaviest stuff they've ever written is on this album. That could have a little to do with the tuning down a half step, but hey, we like heavy here. it's the next step that needed to be taken. The best tracks on here are actually the ones that the Rev wrote, such as almost easy and A Little Piece Of Heaven. The albums writing is much simpler for their rhythm sections, most likely due to the above reason, but they wanted a groove oriented album, so that's what we all got. This release just shows that they know what they want, and after this, I can't wait for them to get back into the studio to do another one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't the most impressive thing on here, but the vocals are so well done it doesn't matter what he's singing about. I don't know how many know, but all the band members contributed to the vocals on here. The Rev especially, has a great voice. He all over the place in personality, so his voice is as well expectingly. Whether it's the pre chorus in almost easy, to his part in a A Little Piece of Heaven. Gates shows his nice low voice on this song to. The bands whole approach to the vocal stylings is great. hey we all sing live, so why don't we all sing when we record instead of doubling Matts voice 20 times. Shadows himself being the lead singer, this time around, experiments with the different tones he can get for his voice. He had the best scream back in their beginnings, so it's no surprise that he has one very dynamic voice. On COE, he whined to much. He's finally discovered how to use it well. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to their other albums. They get better each release. I didn't like city of evil the first time I heard it. But it doesn have it's moment, minus bat country and burn it down. And even this didn't really hit me until the 2nd or third time I listened to it. The CD opens with their 2 singles, which if you listen to the radio, skip critical acclaim. But there's no way to pick out favorites from here as they are all amazing and unique from then out. A little Piece of Heaven is the best if I have to pick a favorite though. ottom line is if you want a good, groove oriented hard rock album to bang your head to. This is perfect. // 10

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: the_messenger66, on november 05, 2007

Sound: I remember M. Shadows say in an interview during the countdown to the release, "When you finish hearing the album, you're gonna be like, 'is that it?' your gonna want more." This could be nothing further than the truth. This record is defiantly the best sounding album thus far, great guitar distortion/gain, strings arrangements, plus the signature Avenged Sevenfold style. The wide range of instruments used are amazing: guitars, bass, drums, piano, organ, trumpets, trombones, saxophones, bass clarinet, cello, violins, choirs, guest star female vocals, screams, laughs, little kids, and even a breaking bottle can be heard on this album. They took a great risk with some of the musical innovations, and it sure paid off. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows vocals and lyric writing have improved, and the Rev stepped up on this one, since he wrote about three of the songs, "Almost Easy", "A Little Piece of Heaven," and (I wanna say) "Brompton Cocktail." He also provided the screaming for the album, and the rest of the band, plus several other appearances. A barrage of voices, it feels at times. 01. Critical Acclaim - a political peace movement, mostly composed by Shadows, it's got a nice little organ part in it. A great way to start off the album, with a transition from "City of Evil" to "Avenged Sevenfold." 02. Almost Easy - a song about forgiving people, how easy it is to forgive, and how hard it is. Written by the Rev, and was supposed to be on the transformers soundtrack. 03. Scream - "The Pleasure Of Killing," or so Synyster Gates says. 04. Afterlife - amazing song. Starts with string arrangement, and just goes up from there. 05. Gunslinger - about missing someone and being away from the ones you love. Shadows says it's related to the War in Iraq, but not too closely. 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - formerly called, "Disneyland Acid Trip." You get it from there. 07. Brompton Cocktail - seems to be about dying. 08. Lost - this songs about how every thing in human history is around war and conquering. And how empires fall after they conquer, and a new war starts once it's collapsed. 09. A Little Piece Of Human - eight minutes of chaos. I was going A-wall when I first heard this song. It's about a story of a couple, the guy kills the girl, and preserves her. Then she comes back, kills him, they start over and get married again, and terrorize everybody. It reminded me of Halloween and Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride." Juliette Commagere as the girl, and Zacky V as the priest. 10. Dear God - very profound way to end the album. It's one of those Epilogue-type songs, like resting your head down to sleep. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a different move from their previous three albums. "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" was punk/metal, "Waking the Fallen" was metal, and "City of Evil" was in your face. They have strayed away from their fast guitars and drums, and defiantly slowed it down for this album. I liked the fast-paced guitars and the machine-gun drums, but I enjoy Avenged Sevenfold"'s different, deeper message than any other previous record. My favorite songs are Afterlife, Brompton Cocktail, and A little Piece of Heaven. If this album was lost (I don't why I'd let it get lost) I would buy another copy as soon as I could. Avenged Sevenfold did an excellent job on this album. // 9

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: ChronicX, on december 12, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's fourth outing, their self titled album, like City of Evil departs from their previous direction in music and enters a new approach. If fans of Avenged Sevenfold roots back to the Waking the Fallen know the expenience we shared when Avenged released City of Evil, we could say that this album gives the familiar situation. It's an album that breaks or makes fans. It isn't impressive at first, but take a listen and you know it grows on you and with catchy riffs and melodic solos, it definitely isn't a disappointment. Solos also takes a new approach. While City of Evil suffered the loss of screaming (which, in my opinion was pretty disappointing as me myself loved the way M.Shadows growled) it made up for lightning speed solos and dual harmonics. Avenged Sevenfold shows more feeling than ever with songs like Dear God and Gunslinger, while the lightning solos are still present in Afterlife and Scream. A little piece of Heaven doesn't even have a solo, nor is it filled with heavy riffage. Also in the new album displays a much more orchestral approach, when you listen to the strings in Afterlife and the brass in A little piece of heaven, and bongo drums are even implemented in Brompton Cocktail. The songs themselves are written beautifully, and indeed takes on a much mature yet raw sound. However, only having 10 songs in the album is a minor disappointment. And while preivously stated that the songs are written beautifully, Almost Easy seems abit repetitive and out of place. The synthesised vocals in Lost also seemed useless and ruined the song. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics takes on a similar approach to City of Evil. Themes of war and politics are present. AS's Gunslinger is the CoE's M.I.A, and Critical Acclaim is the answer to Blinded in Chains. Issues of Death are present in Afterlife and Vampire Sodomy in Scream, but the most twisted and crazy song is A little piece of Heaven, where a story of murder, necrophilia and a Bonnie and Clyde action all in one song. M.Shadow's voice is much stronger and powerful than he was in City of Evil this time around, where you can hear it in Unbound and Brompton Cocktail. Also for the fan of Pinkly Smooth, The Rev enters this album in vocals on several songs, and I personally love the way he growls in Afterlife. He also sings in Critical Acclaim, A Little Piece Of Heaven. // 9

Overall Impression: Old fans of A7X who is still loyal would love this album as they did with the transition of wtf to CoE. But those who stopped liking them after CoE would most likely still hate it. The fans after CoE will like the album, as the change wasn't that radical but at the same time, brings something unexpected and fresh. Despite this, if you just took a glimpse, this album is hard to be impressed, and only after you listen carefully would you really feel this album. Definitely not a disappointment though and will satisfy most A7X fans. // 7

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: fagelamusgtr, on november 05, 2007

Sound: It seems Avenged Sevenfold's hard hitting, insane guitar and drum days are over, for now. On Their new CD, Avenged Sevenfold took a bit more mainstream direction on their new album, Avenged Sevenfold. The machine drumming is infrequently used. The lead guitar harmonies are still exist, but are a little less used. I know what your thinking, this must have been sacrificed to get a more pantera like sound, right? Wrong! The only song that shows screamo like hardness is Critical Acclaim, by far the hardest song on the album. However, this CD still good. It is saved by Synyster's lead riffs and how some songs are still of headbanging status. Also, it's just a hard CD to dislike. Most of the songs have standard powers chords banging behind Shadows singing. Here's a list of the songs. 01. Critical Acclaim - one of my favorites. Hard hitting and has very strong lyrics. Not fast or anything, but it makes up for that with pantera like licks and steady drumming. 02. Almost Easy - sounds like it was made for MTV. It's a bunch of power chords with a synyster intro and solo. It's a decent song, though. 03. Scream - a good song. it's very likeable. Something new and old fans should like. 04. Afterlife - my favorite song on the album. It has an excellent harmonized intro and solo. Comparable to Blinding In Chains in some ways. 05. Gunslinger - I don't like this song. It startes out slow and then picks up a little bit. Not what A7X is meant to play. After it picks up, it's ok. 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - a good song. A piano takes the place of Synyster's, ussual riff in the beginning. A girl sings the final lines of the song. A faster paced song. 07. Brompton Cocktail - seems to drag in the beginning. Fiddles make it sound somewhat of a rap like riff too. Nothing much to say for it. 08. Lost - one of the better songs on the album. Nice intro. There is some nice guitar work here. My only complaint of this song is that the vocals are screwed with a little to make it synthonic in the chorus. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - exactly the opposite of the title. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they wrote this. It sounds like like a cartoon theme song in some places. My least favorite song on this album. 10. Dear God - a country song. Does not sound like A7X at all. Even though I trashed it a little bit, this CD is a little bit better then I give it credit for. I was expecting better out of Avenged Sevenfold. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were weak in some places, such as in Almost Easy. But in other places, the lyrics are strong and very thought out, such as Scream. Either way, the lyrics seem to mesh with the rest of the band well. However, Shadows doesn't sound quite as good as he did On Waking The Fallen. It's understandable though, the guy did get major surgery done on his throat. I wish there was a little screaming to make the songs more intense. // 7

Overall Impression: In comparison to other their other albums, this is not their best effort. City of Evil had more intense guitar riffs and was electric. Waking the Fallen was a headbangers dream. And this CD doesn't seem to match there styles. The most impressive songs on the album are Critacal Acclaim, Afterlife, Scream, Lost and Unbound. I would suggest getting this CD. Overall, it is a good CD. I might surprise old fans. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't hesitate to get a new one. // 9

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: morgan_a7x, on january 07, 2008

Sound: On this album, the band has taken a different direction from the past albums and succeeded in taking that direction and has brought something new to the table. The sound of this album is different from that of those released prior to this, a new sound that some will not recognize from Waking the Fallen, City of Evil, and certainly not Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet. One of the songs on this album called "A Little Piece of Heaven" threw me off guard when I first listened to it. The song is like nothing the band has released before, in my eyes. It seems like a song that would be the backing soundtrack to a Tim Burton film or some sort of dark musical. While others like "Scream" & "Afterlife", also with this new sound, are a refreshing return to the more recognized sound of Avenged Sevenfold. One track specifically stuck out to me titled "Gunslinger". The intro to this song has a familiar feeling, almost to be compared to "Dead Or Alive" by Bon Jovi. The first half of the song is laid back and peaceful with only an acoustic and M. Shadows, while after this the full band kicks in and again, returns to the A7X we all love. There are also songs like "Brompton Cocktail" that seem to be a song that lacks the catchy-ness of some of the other songs. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album seem to be deeper than that of other albums. Not to say that the other albums lyrics didn't express emotion, but these are more noticeable to me. The first song on the album, "Critical Acclaim", seems to be a politically driven song with an anti-government tone to it. On "Gunslinger", the lyrics seem to be drawn through the eyes of someone who is in a war time situation. These lyrics are some of the more emotional and deeper ones of the album. M. Shadow's voice has really come a long way too, they have really leveled out and have become very smooth and yet edgy at the same time, which were first brought into the light on City of Evil through the shadows of the old vocal styles on Waking the Fallen. Also Rev's voice has added a lot to this album and is a great addition to song like "Critical Acclaim" & "A Little Piece of Heaven". His voice is a definite change compared to that of M Shadows. Rev's voice has a sort of dirty feel to it that adds great emotion to the songs.His voice in "Critical Acclaim" has a tone to it that sounds like he is giving it all he has got and is on the brink of breaking his vocal pitch capabilities, but that sound is a great touch to the song. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is a new chapter in the bands history, their goal seemed like it was to make a new sound for themselves and show that they have the capability to produce songs that touch the brink of many different genres. For those fans who love Waking the Fallen and Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet, and didn't care much for City Of Evil, this new album may not be for you. What this album and City Of Evil have brought to the table, compared to the first two albums, is a new sound that revolves around M Shadows not screaming in his songs anymore. At first I was not very sure about these two newest albums, but they do grow on you, but it takes some getting use to not hearing the old scream of Shadows.On this album, some of the best songs, in my opinion, are "Scream", "Afterlife" & "A Little Piece of Heaven" this one may take some getting use to. At first, I didn't like the fact that this CD was a turn around for them in their sound, but I came to like it a lot because they changed their sound and created something new that had the same A7X style to it. So when listening to this album, there isn't a lot to compare these songs with others from their library, if you think that it is not good because it is a different sound, please keep an open mind and maybe the album will change for you as it did me. Don't get me wrong though, I do enjoy this new album a lot, but it was the first two albums that attracted me to the band, so I was in the same boat as you experiencing this new sound of Avenged Sevenfold. // 8

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: Hoodoo Child, on february 22, 2008

Sound: 01. Critical Acclaim - as soon as you put this cd into your pc or stereo and press play, you know it's going to be so different from Avenged Sevenfold's previous three albums. The slow, flowing organ intro to Critical Acclaim sets the tone for this more groove-bsed album, and a riff-packed first song. Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance do an amazing job of another duel solo, backed by a third guitar, and The Rev does his bit in the vocals section in the chorus. 02. Almost Easy - this song starts off quick and fast straight away, blowing you away immediately. Although very simple, the riff suits the song perfectly, accompanied by a very Latin-sounding drum beat from The Rev. The quick, flowing tempo continues throughout the song, forming a near-perfect song. 03. Scream - one of the more moodier songs on the album, immediately introduced by a high-pitched, spine-tingling woman's scream. When the two guitars of Synyster and Zacky come in, they go together very well, using a scale similar to the noise a slot machine makes. (As quoted by M.Shadows on the "Making of the album" feature on the bonus DVD.) 04. Afterlife - my personal favourite song on the album, Afterlife, again, starts off slow, with a string arrangement, but is soon replaced by another duel intro solo from Syn and Zacky. Johnny Christ gets to show off his skill in his small but effective bass solo part at the beginning, too. But the real hit in this song is the solo. An absolutely blistering flood of notes from Synyster's guitar fills the speakers, rounding off the song amazingly. 05. Gunslinger - this song has a more country-like feel to it throughout the first minute or so. After this, heavy electric guitars replace the acoustics, with a cry of "Yeah!" from M. Shadows, to make an awesome country/rock/metal track. 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - previously titled "Disneyland Acid Trip," Unbound (The Wild Ride) is a not-too-heavy song with fast riffs, excellent piano work and another catchy chorus, backed by some amazing arpeggios from Synyster. Towards the end, another first for Avenged Sevenfold, children singing. However different, the effect works very well. 07. Brompton Cocktail - carrying straight on from Unbound (The Wild Ride), Brompton Cocktail starts off with some eerie orchestral string-work, into heavy electric guitars, then back to strings again through the whole verse. The orchestral parts still have an "Avenged Sevenfold feel" to them, and work very well with Shadows' voice and an accompaniment rhythm guitar. 08. Lost - another of my favourites on the album, Lost is a non-stop chaos of riffs, solos and pop-style voice effects. The song starts off with some duelling guitars over a keyboard background, until the song explodes into life with a very quick, fast-paced drumbeat from The Rev. M.Shadows' voice has a poppy touch in the chorus, which, although very much unlike anything any rock band has ever done, fits the feel of the song. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - this is one of the songs that The Rev wrote for the album, and has an unusual storyline. A man proposes to his significant other, who declines. He murders her, the preserves her body. But she comes back from the dead, kills Him, then they get married and go on a murderous rampage. The song essentially tells the story, with The Rev singing the narrator's part, and M.Shadows singing the main vocal sections. A small downside for this song would be the length and the virtual impossibility to play it live. 10. Dear God - formerly titled "Country Rocker", Dear God is a slow, relaxing ending to the album. It starts off with a very country-like feel, and gives the feeling of being on a long journey for a very long time. The solo for the song is very complex, and a masterful piece of guitar work from Synyster Gates. Overall, the sound of this album is near-perfect. // 10

Lyrics: M.Shadows has the capability to write very heart-felt lyrics, as demonstrated in the songs "Dear God", "Gunslinger" and "Brompton Cocktail". However, on this album, all of the band had a say lyrics-wise, and all did a very good job, especially The Rev, who wrote "Almost Easy", "Afterlife" and "A Little Piece of Heaven". The latter of those three songs is the best on the album lyrics-wise, as they are both twisted but have an element of humour in them at the same time. M.Shadows has a brilliant voice, and even without the screaming used on "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" and "Waking the Fallen" he can sing a song and make it sound perfect, whatever the style or subject. // 9

Overall Impression: "Avenged Sevenfold" is easily the best album from Avenged Sevenfold, based on music alone. However, in terms of how heavy an album or songs are, I prefer "City of Evil". At the moment, Avenged Sevenfold are easily one of my favourite rock bands. The most impressive songs from the album are "Afterlife" due to the amazing solo, and "Critical Acclaim", thanks to the sheer 'catchy-ness' of all the riffs and solos. I love the guitar work in every song, and I can't say that I hate anything. The only thing that I would like to see is maybe a larger bass solo-type section for Johnny Christ. It this album were stolen, I would definitely buy it again, over any other album on the shelf. // 10

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: FargoDog, on march 31, 2008

Sound: To begin with, this is quite a departure from City Of Evil, and a massive departure from Waking the Fallen and Seventh Trumpet. If you thought they changed quite a lot with City of Evil, you haven't seen nothing yet. Personnaly, I'm not a big fan of this new sound. It is a more mature sound, but maybe not for the best in terms of their exisitng fanbase, although this will probably gain them more fans. Also, I would not consider this metal. This is more hard rock than Metal. Techniccaly, it also seems to be different. There seems to be less of the sweep picked harmonies so common in City of Evil and more of a crunchy, power chord sound. 01. Critcal Acclaim - this is a hard song to judge. It may be the heavist song on the album, with a crunchy yet quite simple riff running through most of the song. It opens with more proof M. Shadows hasn't lost his screaming ability, with a blood-curdling roar in the intro. There are two parts to the solo, the first being melodic, then a harmonised minor key solo, with plenty of divebombs. The track also showcases The Revs singing ablitys. While not as pitch perfect as Shadows, his unique voice makes up for this. 02. Almost Easy - this is much more radio friendly song, even though the tuning appears to be dropped down to Db. The chorus is quite annoyingly repetative, and guitar-wise it's unremarkable, apart from a thrashy riff. The first half of the solo isn't great, full of off-beat sweeps, and the melodic section seems rather repetative. 03. Scream - very unremarkable song, which seems to be an odd-cross between a Waking the Fallen song, and a City of evil song. Solo is ok, with an interesting harmonized lick. The main riff is very heavy, and some quite fiddly picking. 04. Afterlife - this is probably the albums highlight. The main riff is much less crunchy, and with some cool trills. The solo beats every solo on the album hands down, and maybe is Synysters best solo so far (close to Beast and The Harlot and To End the Rapture). 05. Gunslinger - this is were the album starts to turn and not really for the best. The song opens with some acoustic slide playing, and it moves into heavier territory about a third of the way through, but still very melodic and mature sounding. The solo is very short, and sounds like a Dream Theater solo, which isn't bad, but isn't very AX7 either. 06. Unbound - wow. This is probably the closest glimpse to City Of Evil, with a sweep picked harmonized bridge section, and is quite a high tempo song. No solo this time round. 07. Brompton Cocktail - this is a very dark song, and really isn't a very happy song to listen to. There's some strings mixed in with the guitars, and gives it a more epic sound. 08. Lost - this is quite a prog rock song, the intro is wave of layered guitars, and is quite cool. There is no real riff to this song, and focuses more on lead guitar work. The chorus is interesting, and I think it's a talkbox, but I'm not sure. There are two solos, one in the bridge and one as the outro, both are very melodic, yet not that technical. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - personnaly, I think people have taken this song the wrong way. It's not meant to be serious what'soever, esspecially when you listen to the dark yet humrous lyrics. I won't spoil it, but they are quite hillarious. The sound is nothing like AX7 of course, as it's not meant to be taken seriously. 10. Dear God - I wish this was another jokey song. This song is truly terrible. Not song writing wise, but as a AX7 fan. AX7 is probably one of the lighest bands I listen to. I ussualy prefer bands such as In Flames and Pantera. If they had deleted this song from the album, I would give it a much higher rating. It sounds like a Sheryl Crow tie in. // 5

Lyrics: M. Shadows has obviously been training his vocal tone since City Of Evil, and it's extremely impressive. His voice never cracks once in the album, and it is more or less pitch perfect, and very powerful. Sepcial mention must also be made to The Rev, who pops his AX7 vocal cherry on Critical Acclaim. He is not as pitch perfect, and his voice cracks on occasion, but his voice is extremely unique. In terms of lyrics, there is more or less no reference to biblical litrature such as in the past 3 albums. There is more of a political stance on songs such as Critical Acclaim and Lost. Most songs revolve around relationships, such as wanting someone back (Almost Easy), hurting them on purpose (Scream) and just twisted (A Little Piece Of Heaven). I like the variety, but the biblical literature was unique lyric points for the band. and the new topics are extremely overused by other bands. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to AX7's previous albums, this falls exremely short. The only songs I listen to freaquently are Critcal Acclaim and Afterlife. This 'mature' sound really doesn't suit my tastes. I like the extra effort Syn has put into his solos, but the actual songs themselves don't have the technicallity or even the 'fun-factor' of any other of their albums. If it was stolen, I would shrug my shoulders and simply download the two good tracks once again. Quite a dissapointment for a AX7 fan. // 6

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2008

Sound: The sound of this album was amazeing and I loved it. I'll admit that it wasn't what I thought it would be but it was pretty close. Personally I think that A7X could have put the songs in a different order. M. Shadows is amazeing the pure sound in his voice is hypnotizeing and at the same time he manages to keep your atteantion. Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance are both very near perfect. Synyster could tone it down and let Zacky solo more. Johnny, though most bassist are over looked, is never forgoten he can be heard very well in a lot of songs. And last but not least The Reverend Tholomew Plague, or for short The Rev., although I think that he used too much symbols is some songs, is still amazeing and very talented. He can be heard singing with Matt in some of the songs that he helped write. // 10

Lyrics: Although the lyric are near perfection they do have their flaws. There are times in some songs like Critical Acclaim, Unbound (The Wild Ride), Scream, and Bromption Cocktail where it seams that M. Shadows is more talking than he is singing, even though he some how makes it sound good. The backup in a few songs could improve however. The songs over all I think could be a bit longer. // 7

Overall Impression: I am more of a Screamo lover my self but A7X is just too amazeing and I will follow them until they stop touring. Personally I liked the Sounding The Seventh Trumpet purely because it is screamo. Over all I think that this album is the best. If they would have been going for the same sound as City Of Evil then yes I wouldn't like this album at all. It sounds nothing like Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, Wakeing The Fallen, or City Of Evil but that makes it all the better. it's like nothing I've ever heard. M. Shadows said "The last thein we're going to do is write and City Of Evil: Part 2 or a Wakeing The Fallen: Part 2, It's not a thrash record or old school it's a sound like no one's ever heard- like when Korn came out. They were the first ones to start the whole scene and they sounded different than everybody. We want to do that for our own generation." 01. Critical Acclaim - I love the way that A7X mixed the organ and then Syn and Zacky come in and then shortaly here comes Matt. I get the message of the song and I really love it. The whole thing about "So how does it feel to know that someones kid in the heart of America has blood on their hands fighting to defend your rights." I love it! It's a pure masterpiece. 02. Almost Easy - awesome solo in the beging and I like how Rev. uses the symbols but he could've used them a bit less. I really like the song however I don't really git the thing when it says "(Mother) Come back to me it's amlost easy" the rest of the song makes it sound like he's talking to his girlfriend or something. I think that the song is too short 03. Scream - I like the scream in the beging but the guitar dosen't sound high enough to be Syn, it sounds more like Zacky. "We've all had our time when we've lost control. We've all had our time to grow" I Love the way Matt puts it there. Not the best song on the CD but I still like it. 04. Afterlife - I like the orcstera beging and Syn and Zacky comeing in and I especally love the bass parts ing the song(mainally becauce I'm a bassist) and that Johnny is astounding. I like the vocals in this song the way he sounds, just everything. Even thought it is kinda slow in some parts it is one of the better songs in the album. 05. Gunslinger - at first I didn't really get this song but after a while you figuer out what Matt means. The only thing wrong with this song is that it's too slow in the beging. I, personally, don't think that this is a consert worthy song. To raelly get this song you have to think about the troops and what they go though. 06. Undound (The Wild Ride) - the solo in the beging is good but I don't really like the style he chose with the singing. The over all singing is very good and I really like this song. It's one of the best on the CD and it has a lot of truth in it. The only flaw is the little girl singing in the end the way she says the verse twice I think oncl is enough. The chior is ok in the background for the first time but I think Matt could have screamed it the second time. 07. Brompton Cocktail - this was another song I really didn't get at first but I kinda like it. It wouldn't be one of the ones I would listen to one repeat. To me the song is too slow there needs to be more solo time and pick up the pace on the song. Other than that the song over all is very good. 08. Lost - the beging is a little strange it just dosen't sound like A7X to me, it sounds more like a killing scene in a movie. Other than that the song is ok. I liek the vocal style Matt picked out for this one. The whole song shows off their idvidual talents. The song is very true if you think about it. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - I really like this song I just fail to see the place it has in this album. It's a very amazeing song purely on if anyother band had tryed to pulloff the song they would have failed miserably. 10. Dear God - another song I fail to see the place it has in the album but I do raelly like the lyrics. To me this song is very inspirational. It has an amazeing sound to it. Again this is another song that I think that if anyother band had tryed to pulloff they would have failed as well. The biggest flaw is that the ending is too drawn out and and slow. A Little Piece Of Heaven and Dear God are at a tie for the most imrpessive pureally because only Avenged Sevenfold can pull them off. I love every thing about this album. The only thing that I hate is that it's too short and it leaves you wanting more. I would defentally buy this album again no doubt. It isn't the best out of all the albums but I really like it. // 10

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: salamander121, on december 22, 2008

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold to me have always had that old fashioned head-banging metal like in their previous albums (a good example being Waking The Fallen) but that changes slightly in this album. I heard this album off of a friend and I couldn't believe what I was hearing was Avenged, as this album boasts totally different tracks to their old material such as the broadway-sounding "A Little Piece Of Heaven" and the slow country sounding song "Gunslinger". At first, I found it hard to get into this newer sound but after a while I realised this was another great asset to their career. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are fantastic. They may not be as subtle as other lyrics from bands that I have heard, but it makes you think what's behind the song. For example, the song "A Little Piece Of Heaven" has the strange theme of a guy getting rejected by a girl, killing her and developing an obsession for corpse: "Must have stabbed her fifty f--king times, I can't believe it, Ripped her heart out right before her eyes, Eyes over easy, eat it, eat it, eat it" Or there is "Gunslinger" that it themed around war and what soldiers must go through: " I reach towards the sky I've said my goodbyes My heart's always with you now I won't question why so many have died My prayers have made it through yeah" This album appears to have much more thought when it comes to lyrics than previous albums. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, after great listening, I feel that this album sits above all other Avenged Sevenfold albums. They put thought into sound, lyrics and it has that quirky feelign that I get from all Avenged Sevenfold albums. If I lost this? I would certainly buy it again. The best exampels from this album in my opinion are "Almost Easy", "Afterlife" and "A Little Piece of Heaven". My least favourite song, simply because of that annoying effect on his voice would be "Lost". // 9

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: charliebotkin, on january 05, 2009

Sound: For being on board with Avenged Sevenfold since Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, this album (Avenged Sevenfold) was a slap in the face that the band has come a long way and has changed a lot. The new album shows it. I like the new sound personally. You don't see many bands nowadays adding some of the violins and the whole choir thing. Though many people disagree with the new sound I respect their decision to throw in new things to the music. So all in all the new sound the guys are putting out, is incredible to me and makes you curious to what the next album will be like. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrically, it will impact you on a different level depending on who you are. Here's how it is... 01.Critical Acclaim: lyrics are really strong you could say. Has a very impactfull meaning to it. It kid of sets the mood for the whole album. 02.Almost Easy: very good song. The meaning to it is how we all make mistakes sometimes and some people get angry at you and they say your forgiven, but deep inside they can never forgive you. it's almost easy to say that you're forgiven. 03Scream: one of the most grooving songs on the album. The tempo is slowed down to almost to a steady heart rate. You will never find a part in that song where you don't want to bob your head. This song is about basically finding pleasure through killing in a way. But one of my favorite songs. 04.Afterlife: the best song on the album to make a long story short. Has a killer solo mixed with some string instruments. it's about someone finding themselves in the afterlife and they realize that they have to much stuff to do back on Earth and they have to find a way to get a chance to come back. Really Great Song! 05.Gunslinger: very touching song. M. Shadows (singer) dedicated it to the troops overseas as kind of a thank you for all the great things that they have done for the country. The chorus will make every hair on your arms stand up that's how strong it is lyrically. 06.Unbound (the Wild Ride): very good song and lyrics. it's kind of like a flying carpet ride as said by the band. Like a flying carpet ride on acid at Disney Land. Not one of my favorites though. 07.Brompton Cocktail: incredible song. That's all I can say. That song is stacked with different sounds even though it sounds very minimalistic. One you have to listen the hell out of before you can figure it out. 08.Lost: this song is one of my favorites. The band used an auto tuner in the chorus and it sounds insane. Gives it a poppy happy feeling to it. But it's about mankind always being obsessed with war and that's how it's been. I love the sound of this one. 09.A Little Piece Of Heaven: this song is kind of a joke. About how a man kills his wife and does whatever he wants with her. But then she comes back from the grave and kills him. Then they get married and they go on a killing rampage basically. it's a great song music wise though. 10.Dear God: this is the side of Avenged Sevenfold we have never seen before. It is a country song one that really branches out from the sound that they've done in the past. I actually fell in love with the song. it's about being away from ones you care about. And that really hit home to me. But I liked the song. // 10

Overall Impression: Above all incredible album and I would strongly recommend it to a real Avenged Sevenfold fan. I'm excited to see what the next album will bring to the table. My impression was I was stunned to see how much the band has changed and am highly respectful to them for risking a lot to change they're way of music and possibly music in general. I love everything about this album. // 8

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: Thatkidnick, on july 08, 2009

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album continues the sound similar to City Of Evil, possibly dissapointing fans of the bands first two albums. Though, the majority of the fan base will love the sound of this album. The album starts off with "Critical Acclaim," a political song that has strong lyrics, with some heavy guitar work, and singing by The Rev during the chorus of this song. The duel guitar solo fans can enjoy the album right from the start, as this song has a very good one. The next track is "Almost Easy," the first sngle released off the album. This song is possibly forgettable off the album, but is still an excellant song. The next song is "Scream," with is a cool melodic song with more great guitar harmonies and riffs. The next song is "Afterlife," which is my favorite song off the album, and from the whole band. The sound on this song is brillant, with great use of an orchestra, great guitar riffs, powerful vocals, a build-up into an amazing solo. Excellant song. "Gunslinger" is a very good song dedicated to the troops. From here, you will here more of similar stuff, although when you reach, "A Little Piece Of Heaven," prepare for a very interesting story. Overall, a few tracks could of been better, but I think the sound is great for most a7x fans. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album aren't too bad. The focus of a7x never was really on the lyrics, yet songs like "Gunslinger," "A Little Piece Of Heaven," "Critical Acclaim," and "Afterlife" stand out to me as the best lyrical songs. The lyrics fit the sound of each track very well, and they are very impressive. Matt Shadows has excellant vocals throughout the album and throws around screams here and there, possibly a reminder of the past. While some lyrics are great, some tend to be very repetitive and not really have meaning to them. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album is hard to compare to other artists, considering I haven't been around music for longer than a decade. But, I believe this will be the peak of a7x. This album is great stuff and should appeal to those who questioned anything about the band's talent. The most impressive songs are "Afterlife," "Critical Acclaim," "Lost," "Dear God," and "Scream." The guitar work is amazing, the members of the band really put time into this album, as every song either has insane guitar solos or complex drumming, or intense singing, and just overall talent get shown in this album. I would definately buy this album again if I lost it. I recommend it to any a7x fan, whether your a huge fan or just know a few songs. // 9

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: \m/A7X\m/, on july 27, 2009

Sound: When you first listen to an Avenged Sevenfold album, you never quite know what your going to get. Cue Critical Acclaim, the first song of the album, its cool and calm, then The Rev kicks in the scream and in come heavy riffs and rhythm from Zacky Vengeance and bends, slides and solos from Synyster Gates, if you've listened to any other A7X album, then you would expect more of the same through the rest of the album but the great thing with the band is they're not afraid to try something new, each song sounds distinguisahble whether its the orchestra backed Afterlife to the almost broadway show themed A Little Piece of Heaven as well as the rock/metal elements of Critical Acclaim and Almost Easy. A7X have incorparated a lot of their strengths into this album but have also used backing singers and musicians to round off an album with incredible sound. Any problems, well very few, but maybe the tracks all sound so different that if your a metalhead looking for Waking the Fallen style music, you may be dissapointed. And we all would like even just one screamer song. PLEASE! *begs* // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics. Well Critical Acclaim is very political highlighting as The Revs chorus 'I've had enough it's time for something real, don't respect the words you're speaking', that the government and world as a whole has become too secretive and dishonest. Almost Easy is about how we its 'Almost Easy' to do anything but many people either find it just that little bit too hard or do things that make the 'easy' to 'almost easy' to impossible. Scream is a darker song with powerfull riffs and squealy scales, this helps Shadows to set the tone about(and to be perfectly honest im not quite sure if its from the point of view of a Vampire) raping and killing for fun. A little Piece of Heaven despite having the fun swing of broadway to it also has a topic of killing where a man murders his girlfriend but the girlfriend comes back from the dead and kills him too, they get married and terrorise the living together. A mix of screaming underlaying by The Rev harmonises well with Shadows' quiet, seductive tone for great sound, definatly a highlight of the album. Each song is very different so I won't spoil any surprises and let you listen to the album yourself, or if you arn't decided on buying then on Youtube, and build up a better picture. Skills, well shadows may not scream out of choice anymore (NOT because of his surgery!) but his singing is very good, he can reach the highs and lows and stir emotion both calm and angry into his singing. One bad point is the use of kids singing at the end of Unbound which personally ruins what was a fantastic song. // 8

Overall Impression: Shadows singing reminds me of Axl Rose whilst Syn and Zackys guitar duo have pure talent and the ability to understand each others styles which enables them to produce harmonies like none other. The drums by The Rev are great if a little drowned out by the guitars. Bassistt Johnny Christ may also be drowned out but if you listen to the songs with no bass you will realise he is a vital part of the melodies. Now to the awards ceremony: Most Impressive: Must be Critical Acclaim Most Alternative: A Little Piece of Heaven Most Dissapointing Song:(Im sorry but due to the ending) Unbound Best Solo: Afterlife Best Riff: Scream Most Suprising song: Dear God Pros of the album: Great sound, catchy riffs and that Afterlife solo! Cons: no screaming bar backing singing, some songs seem out of place, the ending of Unbound. As you can tell I absolubtly love this album to bit and if I hd never heard of Avenged Sevenfold then there would be a big gap in my love for music. Buy this album. // 9

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2009

Sound: Everyone has to stop slamming the new album. Sure its not there original sound, but its still a very good sound. The guitars are roaring and melodic, the riffs are catchy, the bass is a little louder, the drums are still very good, and M Shadows voice has evolved from there previous albums. Its not their best but its pretty close. They tried something new, and they did not dissapoint. They stated that they wanted to experiment and try some new sounds, so everyone has stop saying they "sold out". They're different now and no one wants to hear the same old recycled sound on a new album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are strong, and Matt's voice has definitely evolved from City of Evil. (By the way will someone please write a review for City of Evil?) Matt has changed his vocal range and chose odd topics to write about. Critical Acclaim has a good today's-society rant in between after the choruses, and it really makes you think if you listen to it word for word. Gunslinger is also a nice shoutout to the men and women overseas, and is also pretty catchy. Matt really stepped up on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is very good, and a good album for first-time Avenged Sevenfold listeners. You can't go wrong with any song on this album, they are all very catchy and nice to listen too. The best songs are A Little Piece of Heaven, Afterlife, Scream, and Gunslinger. The only thing I didn't like about the album was the use of an auto-tuner in the song lost, it sounded way too different for me. But Syn's guitar is a HUGE highlight on this album. It sounds very melodic and emotional. If I ever lost this album I would replace it immediately. // 10

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2010

Sound: This is easily the most interesting record I've ever heard. The way it's composed, is nothing short of, dare I say brilliant? Anyways, here are the songs, in order: 01. Critical Acclaim: interesting use of the organ. Has a nice effect on the song. The vocals on this song strike me as awesome. Comes in whispering: (Be quiet you might piss somebody off), and then it's all yelling: Like me, motherf--ker! You've been at it for too long. Some other things they did with the vocals are pretty interesting as well. 8/10 02. Almost Easy: actually a pretty normal song. But, in a way, that makes it stand out, compared to the rest of the album. 7/10 03. Scream: also, a pretty damn normal track. Starting off with a strange sounding scream (hence the name), and then the guitars coming in, actually pretty cool. 8/10 04. Afterlife: definitely the most epic, amazing song A7x has put out. Ever. But, only the album version will suffice, not the shitty single version. The cello/violin intro, followed by a harmonized solo from Syn and Zacky, is awesome. The instruments, the vocals, everything, it just makes the song so intense and awesome. It's a must-listen for anyone, A7x fan or not. 10/10 05. Gunslinger: one of the stranger songs on the album... An acoustic, western-style guitar intro, a couple of verses, the chorus a few times, and then a nice scream leads us into the heavy portion of the song. And then, a gospel singer...? Actually adds a nice effect at one point, and then a very heartfelt, slower solo. Actually, a pretty sick song, although it seems too short, at about 4 minutes. 9/10 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride): there are basically 2 parts to this song. The first part is faster, more energetic. Fast piano skills, electric solos, heavy riffs, and a fairly high tempo, are what make the first part of the song awesome, with each member showing perhaps their best musicianship on the album. Then, the tempo slows down... Church chorus... and then the weirdest thing, perhaps on the whole album, a clean guitar riff accompanied by what sounds like an 8 year old little girl. All I have to say to that is "What the fuck?!" 6.5/10 07. Brompton Cocktail: creepy sound effect intro, then a neat little bongo-drum solo followed by the heaviest guitar riff on the album. Then it slows a little, there's cellos or something in front of some lower-register guitar chugging. Suicidal lyrics, high pitched vocals during the bridge. An OK song. Doesn't really seem to stick out in the mix. 7.5/10 08. Lost: my favorite song on the album, aside from Afterlife. Some excellent guitar riffage similar to Slayer's classic Dead Skin Mask, except, you know, A7x-ish. Then The Rev [RIP :(] comes in with some energetic pounding. Pretty fast paced like Unbound (The Wild Ride). Then the vocals come in, the lyrics on the verses are kinda cheezy, but the rest of the lyrics are meaningful and all that. Then the chorus comes in with processed effects and all that, which surprisingly sounds super awesome. The chorus is also really catchy. You gotta listen. The guitar playing is amazing throughout the song, especially during the extended solo at the end. 9.75/10 09. A Little Piece of Heaven: the most unique song on the album. In fact, probably the most unique song, well, ever. It's basically some creepy-ass necrophilia, in a song that sounds like a rip-off of a Tim Burton film. Yeah, you kinda gotta hear it to believe it. I'm still freaked out to this day by the freakiyness. It's actually kinda cool though, in a unique kinda way. One of the best choruses ever. 7.75/10 10. Dear God: it wouldn't be so unique if it was by some redneck country star. But, obviously, it's not. Yeah. A7x makes a country song (at least it's not about his dog or truck!). And, it's not like Gunslinger, where it picks up and gets all heavy... no. It's out of place, and not a good song. 4/10 // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on most of the songs are just suicidal. Pretty depressing I'd say. But, there's a couple expressions, Lost, Critical Acclaim, Scream... But yeah, listen to Brompton Cocktail, and it's just like, "Whoa...", you know? Personally, I don't like those suicidal, depressed lyrics. Just brings me down, you know? You might think differently. You might feed off the pain like a sick, disgusting, fangorious beast that grows it's powers from other's misery. The Holocaust and 9/11 we're like thanksgiving for you. Haha, just kidding. Your (hopefully) not like that. // 7

Overall Impression: Yes, as I've stated a komabauchozazillion times, this record is unique, but it contains alot of epic performances. Kudos, A7x. You've set the bar for Alt-Mtl. Every time I listen to it, it just sends, like, chills down my spine. You know the feeling, right? Well, if you don't, get your ass to the record store and BUY THIS ALBUM and you'll be all good. Avenged Sevenfold = |m|>_<|m| // 10

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: NITZOO27, on july 26, 2010

Sound: The sound on this album is fantastic, and very well produced. The band took a great new direction with their style, it's still Avenged Sevenfold but just a lot softer, which is not necessarily a bad thing. 01. Critical Acclaim: great intro to the album, very political lyrics. The rants in the verses can be a little unfitting and annoying after multiple listens. The riff in the verses is pretty good, and the solo is good. Not the best song but good. 4/5 02. Almost easy: this song is very catchy, which in my opinion is not really a good thing, because it gets stuck in my head and I don't like the song very much. It's not a bad song it's just a little generic for the band. Good riff and drums though. 3/5 03. Scream: one of my favorite songs on the album. Extremely catchy. The music in the verses can be a little repetitive, but it's not too bad cause it's very good. Somewhat raunchy lyrics, but the whole song just has a sexy vibe. 5/5 04. Afterlife: in my opinion this song is kinda overrated. It's still a very good song though. Not much to say about it, nothing about it really stands out to me, except the absolutely amazing solo. 4/5 05. Gunslinger: one of my favorite songs on the album. I personally like the acoustic intro more than the heavy part, but the whole song is amazing. The guitar solo bleeds emotion, as do the lyrics and vocals 5/5 06. Lost: very good song. Great dueling guitar intro. Alright verses, and an amazing chorus which uses auto tune. 4/5 07. A Little Piece Of Heaven: this song is an absolute masterpiece in my eyes. Fantastic song writing, amazing music, and a mind blowing vocal performance by Shadows and the Rev. Also a great story. By far my favorite song on this, or any of their other albums. 10/5 08. Brompton Cocktail: amazing song. Great vocals, and eerie music. Very odd but cool intro, great verse groove, slightly out of place chorus, and great bridge. 5/5 09. Unbound (the wild ride): amazing, though odd song. Insane piano behind the guitar in the verses. Fantastic vocals. Oh and there is what sounds like a ten year old girl who sings the outro. A lot of people seem to not like it, but i think it really fits the song. my second favorite song on this album. 5/5 10. Dear God: great song. It is basically A7Xs version of a country song. Very emotional lyrics and vocals, and a great long guitar solo to end the album. 5/5 // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are about lots of different thing. Being far from home, war, dying, politics, and necrophilia (A little piece of Heaven) The lyrics all fit the music very well. M. Shadows is my favorite vocalist, he is extremely talented and has a great voice. Also when the Rev does back up vocals it sounds amazing. Rest in Peace Jimmy. You will be remembered foREVer. // 10

Overall Impression: This has too be my favorite album of theirs. There are songs on other albums of theirs I like more, this is my overall favorite album of all time. The best songs are A little piece of Heaven, Unbound (the wild ride), and Scream. If this album was stolen I would buy it again within the hour. // 10

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: BenjoJames, on october 15, 2010

Sound: There are several reasons why bands choose to have thier albums self titled. Either they are following the tradition of classic bands such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and Slipknot and they are releasing thier debut album. Or they are at a point in thier career where they are stumpred for ideas, a la Blink 182 or Killswitch. Maybe the band is The Bronx, in which every album is eponymous. Or, for Avenged Sevenfold, like thier heroes Metallica before them, they have released an album that will forever define them, catching them at thier creative peak two years before the unfortunate death of sticksman Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan. The LP, which is produced by Avenged Sevenfold (A7X to thier rabid fanbase) features a far more groove based sound then it's predecessors, although there is no lack of the solos and melodies that has made Synyster Gates one of metal's leading axe-wielders. As with predeccessor 'City of Evil', stylistically this album remains within the realm of hard rock/metal, however occasionly strays from this, delivering elements Southern Roots Music on 'Gunslinger' and 'Dear God' and even playing in the style of a Broadway musical on 'A Little Piece of Heaven', with the aid of a choir, orchestra and backing singers that also feature throughout the rest of the album. This is Avenged Sevenfold's fourth album, and with so many classic songs featured it will stand the test of time. // 9

Lyrics: Whilst the lyrics are not too elaborate, they are certainly of a good standard and cover a vast array topics such as war and politics ('Critical Acclaim', 'Gunslinger', 'Lost') forgiveness ('Almost Easy') life and death ('Afterlife', 'Unbound (The Wild Ride), 'Brompton Cocktail') sadistic fantasies ('Scream', 'A Little Piece of Heaven') and missing loved ones ('Dear God', again 'Gunslinger'). Much like 'Fiction' on following album 'Nightmare', the lyrics featured on 'Afterlife' are particularly haunting and make for uncombfortable listening in light of Sullivan's death, as the lyrical depiction of a young man's premature death holds much in common with the eventuality of its lyricist, something which is exacerbated wehn Sullivan himself sings the line 'I need another chance to live' during the song's bridge. Vocally, M. Shadows signature rasp sounds as powerful as it has ever been, as he snarls and screams his way through the album, delivering the goods from agressive opener 'Critical Acclaim' to slow closer 'Dear God'. 'Avenged Sevenfold' also introduces Jimmy Sullivan as second lead vocalist as well as drummer; his passionate slurred yelps are heard prominently on 'Critical Acclaim', 'Afterlife', 'Lost' (which makes experimental and effective use of AutoTune) and 'A Little Piece of Heaven', a song which some regard as Sullivan's masterpiece. // 9

Overall Impression: This album would make a great introduction to Avenged Sevenfold; it is arguably their best and features some of thier strongest songs. It stands as a testimony to the drumming, vocal and songwriting skills of the late great Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan, and captures the whole band at thier creative peak. Album highlights include 'Critical Acclaim', 'Afterlife', 'Lost' and the epic 'A Little Piece of Heaven'. A must for any metal fan. // 9

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: EddieOwen, on december 10, 2010

Sound: The sound in this album is less heavy, more like metal with a tiny bit of pop-punk in it. A lot of the songs on this album were written by James Owen Sullivan (The Rev) I think the sound in this album is friggin' awesome, it is almost as if all their albums have a different genre hidden behind them. A lot of the album is about returning from the dead, and many of the songs feature special guests to help them. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are as usual for Avenged Sevenfold something really special. A lot of them were written by The Rev most obviously A Little Piece of Heaven, the demon of a song about A man that loves his girlfriend and proposes, but she declines for unknown reasons. Distraught with the fact that she will leave, he kills her and eats her heart as to keep a part of her with him for ever. She then comes back and kills him, eating his heart. So there love can never leave each other. Both feeling sorry, they make up and try to spend the rest of eternity in unison, but are killed by the local villagers. A lot of the song is sung by The Rev. Matt's vocals create a balance between the extreme solos and heavy meanings. A lot of the lyrics have other meanings that can only be found once studied. // 10

Overall Impression: It is one of their best albums, but doesn't compare with the likes of Waking the Fallen. The most impressive songs (IMO) are Critical Acclaim, Almost Easy and A Little Piece of Heaven. I love the new genre and the angle they have gone for, it is also the first album to feature The Revs singing which makes it even more special. I would defiantly buy it again if it were stolen/lost. I would never lose a piece of my beloved Avenged Sevenfold Collection. // 10

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: Ultmate_A7X_Fan, on march 08, 2012

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold have a very dark and scary tone to their music. But there is an exception for this album as the album is far more upbeat and only sinister songs on the album are "Scream" and "Almost Easy". Apart from these songs (which has a very heavy, scary feel to it) all of the songs have a bright and somewhat cheerful tone to them, especially "Lost" as this has a few heavily autotuned parts in it which give of a more friendly (rather than aggressive) feel. The overall sound of the album is very impressive as the songs have a more bright and cheerful tone to them compared to their earlier albums or "Nightmare". // 8

Lyrics: Some of the songs on this album had very deep, meaningful lyrics. For example, the lyrics in "Dear God" explain how all the members of the band miss their families and how they wish they could be with them during tours, whereas others can be a little less serious; even humorous like in "A Little Piece Of Heaven" where the lyrics are intended to be funny, though the humour is very mature a not all audiences would be able to pick up on the mature gags. M.Shadows was the vocalist for this album. He has a very crunchy voice which he can use to good effect in the heavier, more aggressive songs such as "Scream" and "Almost Easy" where there is screaming parts. The backing vocals (performed by Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance) were very clean and, when singing together, can make some very impressive harmonies. The Rev appears in "Afterlife" for a short time before the solo, and has a very crunchy, aggressive voice which accommodates him well. // 8

Overall Impression: The best songs on this album are "Afterlife", "Almost Easy", "Dear God", and "Scream". This is due to the guitars in each of them. The solos were incredible in all of the songs. Zacky Vengeance and Synyster Gates twin guitar is truly amazing; they ate both suited to each others playing style so well. This band has a totally unique sound and do not compare to any other band I know at this given time. This is definitely an album I would listen to again and again. And I look forward to all of their future albums. The only thing I don't like in this album is that in "Lost" there are parts which are autotuned which I don't think suites the band at all. // 8

Avenged Sevenfold Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2012

Sound: Unlike the band's previous albums, "Avenged Sevenfold" has a more hard rock feel, but of course it's pure heavy metal, but not really modern heavy metal, it's more 80's-90's metal. That's what I love about this album specifically. All five of them were and still are great, and I know The Rev (the drummer) is not dead, he's just giving God some drumming lessons and he'll return some day. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are really inspiring because they're not all about death, blood and revenge. They show things to do with politics, they are against drugs, they are against wars, they have the emotional feel when people are not home and are missed, it's about doing all you can in this life 'cause you won't get another chance. Things like that. The lyrics go great with the music. The singer, M. Shadows, well... His voice is not even a little bit close to any modern singer, and in the best way that exists. On this album, all band members sing and they all have great voices. // 10

Overall Impression: It reminds me in a way Iron Maiden, but I point my finger right now on what in them reminds me of Iron Maiden. The most impressive songs on the album are definitely "Critical Acclaim", "Almost Easy", "Afterlife", "A Little Piece Of Heaven" and "Dear God". There's nothing to hate in this album, it's one of the best albums I've heard in the last 5 years. I've got a copy of the album, costed me a lot 'cause it's rear edition, but if someone would steal my copy, I'd buy another, no doubt. Irreplaceable. // 10

More Avenged Sevenfold reviews rating latest review