City Of Evil Review

avenged sevenfold: City Of Evil
Released: Jun 7, 2005
Genre: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Post-Hardcore, Emo
Label: Warner Brothers
Shattering preconceptions of punk and metal, Avenged Sevenfold blazes a bold new path with its debut major label album, "City Of Evil".
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.8
 9.1
 8.5
City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold have really taken a leap with their new CD, City Of Evil. No longer the screaming metal band of their earlier CD's (due no doubt to the singer, M. Shadows, having to have vocal chord surgery), Avenged have stepped up to the major label debut category, and have delivered a cd every guitarists should own. Very much inspired by '80s shred guitar, Sinister Gates and Zacky Vengeance have crafted some very intricate guitar parts to compliment Shadow's voice. Duel guitar work, sweeping arpeggiated chords, acoustic/spanish guitar breakdowns, and screaming leads can all happen on one song. Sevenfold break the typical songwriting model, by not having any particular part be designated a 'solo'. Instead, both guitarists play lead lines throughout the song, often times weaving around the melody, and chasing each other in a very snake-like manner. I would say the only drawback to this, is that it can get a little tiring after a while. Although, not enough to where I wanted to stop the CD. Mostly because when it does get to that point, it changes to an entirely different direction. Every song is like a story that takes many different shapes throughout. With heavy parts breaking down into slow, acoustic parts, which then go into a faster heavier part, before shifting to an orchestral part which resembles danny elfman. Avenged Sevenfold show that they aren't easily categorized. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadow's has always been very visual in his lyrics, and City Of Evil is no different. There are many different themes on this CD, from Dimebag's death, to the war in Iraq. The lyics fit every song very well, and I think the inabilty of Shadow's to scream the way he used to only helped City of Evil. Many of his lyrics on previous CD's would get lost in the music and the delivery, but there is now a much more clear vocal style. Very reminiscent to Scott Weiland on Velvet Revolver's self-titled. Shadow's may not have the versatility of before, but he pulls off every song very well. // 8

Overall Impression: It's very hard to compare City Of Evil with any other band out at the moment. Avenged Sevenfold has transcended easy categorization, and delivered a CD that should rank very high on the modern guitarists list. It's nice to see some shred guitar work happening in a tasteful manner, and not being played over screaming. This should gain more exposure for the band, as ths cd is more accesible to the non-metal community. This cd is what a lot of fans of the '80s shred guitar playing have been waiting for, and it doesn't sound cheesy in any way. Avenged Sevenfold have taken the first defining steps in their career to become a serious contender in the music ranks. A modern sound with an old school twist, this CD is sure to become a classic CD of the new generation. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: h82feel, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound of Avenged Sevenfold albums improve with each release, and this is the top of the mountain. City Of Evil has an epic sound that somehow manages to be both classic and modern. The guitars are front and center, with the amazing Guns N' Roses meets Iron Maiden meets Earth Crisis meets Bad Religion guitar riffs, add a more then solid rhythm section and an amazing vocalist and you got yourself a perfect record. As far as the music itself, they are truly a unique band, blending true heavy metal with the distinct california punk and hardcore sound. Also thrown in, is a beautiful yet haunting piano and flaminco style guitar, truly a sound that any fan of rock music can enjoy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are very interesting. Old School heavy metal imagery and metaphors are used well on this album, in such songs as The Beast And The Harlot and Bat Country. The ballad-style writing of songs like Seize The Day (my personal favorite) and Strength Of The World are touching in my opinion. Other topics include betrayal, being a badass, fighting the world and even a political look at war. What can I say about Matt Shadows? He is without a doubt an incredibly talented singer. Listen to him say "So what if I never hold you..." on Seize The Day and try to not to be moved. Although Shadows cannot scream anymore, his singing voice is still top-form, sometimes sounding like a more soulful version of Axl Rose. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best albums of this current era. It runs the gammet of bone-crunching heavy metal, to hardcore punk anthems, to heart-wrenching ballads. I highly reccomend this to anyone into rock music, not just metal/metal-core fans. It truly is a classic. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: LucasGtrGod, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album sounds awesome. The guitars are loud, the drums are hard and the bass has real presence. This album is much more guitar centric than their previous albums. There are huge harmonised pieces, shred soloes aqnd there always seems to be some presence of a lead guitar in nearly any part of the songs. whether it be a huge dive bomb in the intro to Blinded In Chains or harmonised melody of burn it down. The drums have also increased in interest and complexity, always suiting the song, sometimes with awe inspiring skill (Blinded In Chains), my drummer friend was shocked at the speed of some of his runs. And the bass is always present, although does not stand out as much as the drums and guitars. This album is very reminiscent of '80s metal and bands like Iron Maiden, but also has a strong hardcore and even progressive element to it. // 10

Lyrics: And I must say the singer getting vocal surgeory has only made his singing better. Gone is the repititive and annoying screams of their previous albums to be replaced by powerful and seering vocals that is sometimes sound like Axl Rose, but better and more tuneful. His voice is amazing on this album, the best representation is the verse on the song MIA where the music sort of momentarily and repetitively cuts out, and the singer's voice is all that can be heard (it's inspiring). The lyrics on this album are of a similar quality covering everything from political issues to Dimebag Darrel's murder. The only let down on this album is The opening track: The Beast And The Harlot. The verses sound awesome, but the chorus really takes away the power of the song. But that is the only hiccup on the entire album. // 9

Overall Impression: I would boldly say that this is Avenged Sevenfold's best album yet, and probably one of the best albums to be released in the last 5 years, it is just that good, everything feels polished, but not over produced. Following are all the songs off the album. 01. The Beast And The Harlot - 6/10, the song would be a 10/10 if it weren't for the chorus. 02. Burn It Down - 9/10, awesome lyrics, heavy intro, great guitars, I love this song. 03. Blinded In Chains - 10/10, this song really shows off the bands skill on their instruments, the band's most political song. 04. Bat Country - 10/10, it took me a while to get into this song, but now that it is in my head I can't get it out. 05. Trashed And Scattered -10/10, real heavy, love the lyrics. 06. Sieze The Day - 10/10, a nice soft song with a good message. 07. Sidewinder - 10/10, has a spanish guitar solo. 08. The Wicked End - 10/10, this song is awesome, then it suddenly changes direction in the middle with the introduction of an orchestra that sounds alot like Danny Elfman. 09. Strength Of The World - 9/10, starts off real slow and nice, but then breaks into one of the strongest riffs on the album, possibly a little bit too long though, I find myself fading out at around the 8 minute mark. 10. Betrayed - 9/10, the tribute to Dimebag. Although this song was only around 6 minutes long, I feel that it would have been better if it had a minute or two shaved off of it. 11. MIA - 10/10, about the emotional impact of War. A spectacular way to end off the album and a vocal showcase. This entire album is impressive, the songwriting the musicianship, this band rivals many of the top metal bands around at the moment. This is an album for any fan of metal, shred guitars or just good music. If this album were stolen I would definitely buy it again. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: nirvanafan11111, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's mixture of emo, hardcore and metal lead to them being one of the most highly acclaimed bands in the metalcore movement of the early 21st century. With Waking The Fallen they showed it was ok to blend catchy riffs e.g. Unholy Confessions with thrash style chugging guitars and solo's, adding screaming and melodic singing into the mix! Sadly most of the elements from Waking The Fallen have been lost. The catchy riffs have been exchanged with over the top (and very technical) trash, the chugging still their but is boring and frankly doesn't add anything to the music. The sound of this record is old school metal (so old school it actually sounds old fashioned and not in the good way), power metal (Manowar style) and while all musicians are very talented especially the guitarists, this album fails to impress on many levels! // 4

Lyrics: Lyrics are the next gripe about this album, the subject matter is cocky and unemotional, the lyrics suit the music yet with the music being cheesy and annoying the lyrics match! The lyrics themselves are awful. M Shadows has really lost it, although this is down to a burst blood vessel in his neck, his voice is devoid of emotion, no screaming either while Waking The Fallen was vocally layered, with melodic singing and death metal style screaming, it felt real, the emotion felt real, in City Of Evil it feels really fake, his voice in some songs is a whine and this is very annoying. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall City Of Evil was not my cup of tea, while some people admire the talent in the music, the song writing just isn't up to scratch, the singer sounds lazy as well as unfeeling and basically it's just annoying. While the album reeks of talent, and the very technical flamenco style riff (easily the best bit about the album) in Sidewinder is very entertaining. The album sounds lazy and emotionally forced. If it was stolen off me I would find the swine who stole it and kill them as I hate being stolen from! // 6

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: There are various musical styles used on this CD. A lot of the time it sounds like Guns N'Roses. Sometimes, there's flamenco style solos, acoustic breakdowns, black metal orchestration, and a boys choir, thats all you have to know. Theres even a mexican solo. Arriba! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't great in every song, but I dont give a flying f--k. They may not be too good, but they fit the songs so well. Shadows' vocals aren't as good as the last album, but thats because of his throat surgery. He sings all the time, which is a good thing in my opinion. I hated his Cradle Of Filth-like scream. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the best album so far this year. It is also better than their last CD, Waking The Fallen. Honestly, they're the best heavy band out now because of their melody, unlike Lamb Of God and their s--t. With no screaming, they're bringing heavy music back. If it were stolen I'd shoot the person and piss on them and steal it back. It is worth buying even though I stole it, I'll still buy it though for the "amazing" artwork. I love everything about this CD. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: cityofevil98, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Wow, Avenged Sevenfold really broke out of the "hardcore" genre with this CD. Amazing guitar playing, and Avenged Sevenfold seemed to have gone back to the roots of metal music. It sounds amazingly simiiliar to Guns N Roses and Iron Maiden. Avenged Sevenfold has a unique sound and they are bringing real rock and roll back. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows shows everyone that he dosent give a fuck what anyone thinks. His voice is more trained and it really pays off. I really like how the band isnt hiding the fact that they drink, do drugs and like girls, I mean I'm sure all the bands at warped tour do but avenged sevenfold is the only band that prooves that they really dont give a shit. I love that attitude man. // 10

Overall Impression: City Of Evil compares to Appiteite For Destruction I think. I love Guns N' Roses and Avenged Sevenfold is following right in their footsteps. Every single song on the album is my favorite, there's not one that I even mildy dislike or anything, it's a classic. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album is comparable to bands such as Trivium. Good guitar work, melodic rythm and some excellent lead guitar work. The sound is quite over-produced, as with so many albums, which I think takes away it's edge. A lot of the aggression and anger is lost. Either way, it's good to see heavy music being brought back into the mainstream. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics don't really stand out, but so what? This is heavy metal! It's not meant to be poignant and romantic. It's mant to rock, which this album does! // 5

Overall Impression: Okay, so perhaps not an entirely unique and original sound, but these guys, along with bands like Trivium, System Of A Down and Killswitch Engage are bringing metal music back into the mainstream, and for thatalone, this album deserves credit. While it is not particularly deep or innovative, it's bands like these that are keeping metal alive (let's face it. Without any metal whatsoever in the mainstream, it would die) and above all, an enjoyable listen. // 7

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Pure_Hatred, on may 01, 2007

Sound: My god, I mean, what the hell! I used to think A7X were one of the best bands in the universe, now I here 'Seize The Day' and I just want commit mass homicide, on everyone! I mean ok, M. Shadows vocal chords are screwed, he doesnt scream, I'm ok with that (although it didn't bother bert mc cracken god bless 'I'm') but did that give you any right to turn into a country rock band, with minor metal influences. The answer is no. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics are just acceptable, but not as good as say the 'Waking The Fallen' album. if you fit the new lyrics to the old sound, I might even condiser stopping throwing darts at your poster everytime I go to bed. The lyrics fit well with the sound, they both are lame. // 4

Overall Impression: A7X stole the music, if my copy which I bought out of faith was stolen, I'd jump for joy, infact I dont even no where my copy is, mabye it's got stolen, hope so. I'll keep listening to the old stuff to keep hope alive. // 1

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Seth Shadow, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's new sounds consists of plain softer lyrics compared to "Waking The Fallen," "Warmness On The Soul" and "Sounding The Seventh Trumpet." Instead Of Metal Core they have plain metal. The guitarists Synester Gates and Zacky Vengance have excrutiating talent that will help take Avenged Sevenfold far. The Reverand "drummer" explored his skills and found that he has real talent. Johnny Christ (bassist) has Amazing skills as shown in Their song "The Wicked End." Vocalist M. Shadows is my idol, he shows that hes not afraid to speak his mind. Since his throat sugery for internal bleeding he takes the role of a softer singer compared to the growling and intense Screaming of the older days. Warner Bros. Records made a good Decision signing Avenged Sevenfold to their colorful roster. // 10

Lyrics: It really depends on your intrests for this. If you like talk about suicide, death, despair, hell or the apocalypse, this is the band for you. Its a "Spit In Your face" attitude that keeps Avenged Sevenfold going. Their songs flow into one another. From beast and the harlot to burn it down, The Lyrics are all around good. M. Shadows Singing Skills Will bring him far on his "Quest For World Domination." I wish him and the guys the best of luck. // 9

Overall Impression: I Expected City of Evil to be another Nickelback album after I heard Seize the day, but they have a huge variety. From M. I. A to Strength Of The World, they mop the floor with ALL competition. If my "City Of Evil" Was Stolen or Lost I would buy it again, and buy it a second time to make sure I keep it this time. The most impressive song on the album would be Bat Country, it sounds different but so catchy. I love every single song off this album, no questions asked. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: madbass, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The very second when I first listened to this album I borrowed from a friend of mine, I was very impressed. I went out and bought the album right away, and it has remained one of the best CD purchases I ever made! The Rev is one of the most amazing drummers I have ever heard. He is just jaw dropping in the beginning of "Burn It Down." The two guitarists, Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance are both just amazing together. They are very synchronized excellently together, especially in the guitar duo in "Bat Country." The bassist Johnny Christ, is very well synchronized with the whole ensemble as well, a very important thing to have in a musical style such as this. He has an awesome bass riff under the rest of the music in "Trashed and Scattered" (my personal favorite) during the chorus and in the beginning of "The Wicked End." And of course M. Shadows, a very talented vocalist, especially right after vocal chord surgery, sings the vocals amazingly. The harmonies he created fit so well with the music. There are a few things I found very unique and interesting in the album. At the end of "Sidewinder," there is an acoustic guitar part that strums some syncopated under a hold of a power chord of the distortion of an electric guitar, and it suddenly breaks into a completely different style of flamenco guitar playing and bongo drums, making it one of the most unusual, yet intriguing, things I ever heard a metal band do. Another amazing part is in "The Wicked End." After a few seconds of a clean arpeggiated guitar part, we hear under it a cello come in, then a harp glissando is heard and a female choir comes in. It evolves into a whole orchestra playing with the female choir's angelic ah's, with a beautiful orchestration done by Scott Gilman, as well as some orchestrations done by Synyster Gates and M. Shadows. It is an amazing part of the song. There is also a western style introduction to "The Strength of The World" done by the orchestra, and they later play again later in the song as well with an excellent orchestra part. That part almost captures your soul when you hear it, because it's so beautiful when they play with the whole band. The whole album is very unique in many ways and its just amazing. // 10

Lyrics: It seems that the lyrics are focused on the individual listening to the album, which I'm not too crazy about. I feel that the lyrics tend to become a little emotionally forced at times, but not all the time. The lyrics and the music usually go together well, though there are some spots that don't always work. For example, I don't think that Seize The Day's music works well with the lyrics. And the f--king language isn't all that necessary in this album. Maybe in previous Avenged Sevenfold albums you could use the filthy crap, but in this case, the language isn't very effective. As for M. Shadow's singing, he sings pretty good for someone getting out of vocal chord surgery. He doesn't scream as much anymore, but that is one reason that makes this Avenged Sevenfold album special from the past ones. M. Shadows does an excellent job with the harmonies as well. // 7

Overall Impression: I cannot think of any other album to compare this album to. I really cannot think of an impressive song on this album, since all the songs are so great. So I'll just say what I thought of all the songs: 01. Beast And The Harlot - a strong beginning, and a strong and wicked beginning to the whole album. A top rated song on this whole album. 02. Burn It Down - starts off with an amazing, crazy double-kick drum part with the whole band, with guitar screeching, and then breaking into an awesome song. 03. Blinded In Chains - there is a lot of instrumental in the beginning. And the chorus in this song is my favorite chorus throughout the whole album. 04. Bat Country - the highest rated song in the whole album. It has a very hard and amazing guitar duo and solo, something only a great band such as this can only do. 05. Trashed And Scattered - my personal favorite. It starts out with a lead guitar solo, and suddenly abrupts into another amazing song. The greatest part in this song is where it suddenly changes into a major tonality at the bridge where M. Shadows starts singing I never bothered with all the rumors, too much garbage. 06. Seize The Day - starts off with a nice, strumming acoustic guitar. A lot of it's about a girl that you don't want to leave you by result of death. 07. Sidewinder - when you hear this song in the beginning, you hear the wind in the desert blowing and the rattle of a rattlesnake. Then after a little while, you faintly hear a solo guitar gradually get louder. It keeps playing and suddenly the whole band comes in, making this song having the most unique introduction in the whole album. It's also the most unique song in the whole album as well, ending with a an acoustic guitar part that strums some syncopated under a hold of a power chord of the distortion of an electric guitar, and it suddenly breaks into a completely different style of flamenco guitar playing and bongo drums, as mentioned before. 08. The Wicked End - starts off with an awesome bass line intro under screeching guitars. Eventually later in the song, the orchestra and chorus plays as well, as mentioned before with all the details, betraying evil excellently. Another excellent song. 09. Strength Of The World - the orchestra in this one as well plays a prominent role, having some type of western style beginning and abrupting later with a powerful interruption with the band. Later, when the orchestra plays again with the band, it almost takes your soul away and it's just so beautiful. 10. Betrayed - this is the one that is in memory of Dimebag Darrel. The beginning of this song reminds me of AC/DC. Of course, this album does tend to have many 1980's lead guitar content in it. This is the only song that M. Shadows has a low, groveling vocal part in. The vocal parts are pretty nice. 11. M.I.A. - this song relates to the war in Iraq obviously. However, I believe this song has the best lyrics, since they depict a vision of a soldier in war pretty good. As for the music, it's very quiet in the beginning and gets louder and faster later on. It's quite a powerful song if you listen to the lyrics. This album overall is absolutley amazing. If you don't have the album, and you are a metal fan, I would highly recommend you to go out and purchase this album. It is absolutley fantastic. The only thing I hate about this album is the length of the songs. The shortest one is only about five minutes, with the longest being almost nine minutes long! And I sometimes cannot stand long songs. But in a way, and in this case, it is somewhat an exeption. If I were to ever lose this or have this stolen, I would buy it again. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: saTanic_hunter, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This album is bar far my absolute fav! With the mix of heavy/punk songs, it shows exactly how much change Avenged Sevenfold went through. But keeping their same style with heavy metal, I liked the way they used it with they lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics were great! M. Shadows, because of his throat surgery, is no longer screaming. Don't get me wrong, he can sing fairly well. The lyrics went well with their unique tune, wicked riffs and fast solos. // 10

Overall Impression: This album compares to absolutely no other artists I have ever heard. It is fenominal! I felt that some of the strongest songs were Burn It Down, and Bat Country. If this album were stolen, I would kick the shit out of the person who stole it, beat the hell out of them with a bat, and s--t on their head. A7X made an absolutely great album. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Spartan9185, on february 28, 2008

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's 3rd album is my favorite of them all. The screaming is gone, which some say is bad, some say is a good thing, but M. Shadows really uses his voice well in this album. All the songs on the album are very heavy, except Seize The Day, which is an amazing song, none the less. The album title describes the whole feel of the album just about perfectly. City Of Evil is a very dark, and scary album. Each song flows perfectly into the next, and they all have their own little twist that make it exciting every time you listen to it. And trust me, I've listened to COE at least 10 times. I thought it would be near impossible to beat Waking The Fallen. But Shadows, Syn, Zacky, The Rev, and Johnny all compliment eachother perfectly. I was expecting a lot from this album and I got every thing I could have asked for and more from City Of Evil. // 10

Lyrics: City Of Evil speaks for itself. The Lyrics fit almost perfectly with all the guitar parts. And speak about a lot of death and the evil parts of the soul. All the lyrics on City Of Evil seem to be very well thought out. Lyrical highlights are "The Wicked End" (my personal favorite), Strength Of The World, Burn It Down, and Betrayed. // 10

Overall Impression: City Of Evil is the highlight of all 3 A7X albums. I'm A HUGE fan of Sevenfold, and I've listen to sounding the seventh trumpet and waking the fallen countless times. Synyster gates plays his ass off. Winding solos, and INSANE sweeping are the highlight of his career. The 6 most insane solos I've ever heard are in the song, and they're almost as insane as the solo from I Wont See You Tonight pt 2 from waking the fallen. Burn It Down is so fast, Bat Country is a masterpiece in every way, Sidewinder's sweep picking is the most advanced I've ever heard from him, and the acoustic solo at the end I didn't think was possible with an acoustic guitar. The Wicked End flows perfectly from part to part, and M.I.A. is something to be reckoned with. Synyster Gates has been my favorite guitarist from the beginning, but this boosted my respect for him greatly. Synyster and zacky harmonize well on City Of Evil also. They play off eachother exceptionally, and zacky can throw down some great riffs to compliment Synyster's constant soloing. The Rev pulls out beats that I've never heard in my life, making me believe that he's better than Neil Peart ever was, and will be. The drum solo and intro from Beast And The Harlot scared me, I didn't know it was possible to double pedal like that. And he can sing while doing all that. Blinded in Chains is his best song, but all are mindblowing to me, probably cause I'm not a drummer but a guitar player. The drumming highlights of COE are Blinded In Chains, Beast And The Harlot, Burn It Down, Bat Country, Trashed And Scattered, and The Wicked End. Over all, City Of Evil never ceases to impress me. I View it as a flawless album. It's very long. 11 songs, and 73 minutes long. The shortest song on the album, burn it down is just under 5 minutes. You get plnenty of winding solos, insane drumming, and chilling lyrics throughout. I can't say I hate anything about this album, because I woudl be lying if I did. From this album I've gotton my of my friends into Avenged Sevenfold, and I hope this review will help you get into them too. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound is so much differnt than than the other two albums. But it is a good thing it seems that all band today scream, don't get me wrong I love it. but it can get a littel repetitive after awhile. And every band that dosent scream freaking suckas. Avenged Sevenfold is the only band that can pull it off right. the song "Beast And The Harlot" is very '80s metal band sound. It sounded like a mix of pantera Iron Maden Guns N' Roses and well of course A7X. The song "Burn It Down" has one of the coolest riffs and the solo is freakin sweet. Oh there is a solo in ever song that is good. "Seize The Day" shows off how good M. Shadows can sing. He dosen't sing great in all the songs but that is ok. "Strenght Of The Worls" has a western thing in the intro and outro. And "The Wicked End" has a orchestra and choir in it all and all realy good. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics at times can be a bit lacking at times and he uses the F-word to effing much to much cusing. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall the album is awesome if you are metal fan you gotta get this one it is one of the best albums in a while if I could give it a 4.5 I would but I can't. // 8

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound has improved from their other albums. Lots of catchy riffs and solos etc. Very good rhythm section. Problem is most songs sound the same with the chugging etc. The spanish part at the end of "Sidewinder" was a welcome change, and though I personally don't like the song, "Seize The Day," adds some much needed depth too the album. Again though, I feel the songs often sound too similar. // 8

Lyrics: I don't find anything impressive about the lyrics. The singing is decent, but I don't find Shadow's voice to be particularly compelling and sometimes find it just annoying. The harmonies can be soulful but they use far too much harmony and background singing. // 4

Overall Impression: Get a couple songs but not the whole album. The songs all sound too similar. However A7X has lots of talent and make good music. I'm just waiting for something with a little more variety and excitement to it. // 6

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold finally shows us what metal actually sounds like. It's not screams! Metal had no screamigng originally and I'm tired of people bad mouthing them because they changed their vocal approach. That said, M. Shadows shows off an impressive set of pipes. Synester Gates and Zacky Vengeance are impressive as always, esecially Gates who's leads can make even a seasoned guitar player sweat. Very well done. // 10

Lyrics: The singing and guitar playing go hand in hand all the way through. Shadow's gravelly delivery is complimented by Gate's and Shadow's high octave singing durign choruses and other important moments. The song like Strength Of The World made me realize hoe powerless we all really are. Bat Country is just incredible and so is Burn It Down. // 10

Overall Impression: Though different from their other 2 albums, this album does not dissapoint. They present another album of impressive sogn writign and composition. I would definitly buy this album again and again if it were stolen. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This album blew me away. I have owned Waking The Fallen for a few months and listened to it constantly, but this is even better. From other reviews I have read this seems to have divided opinion, but I think it is the best modern rock album currently available. There are no more screams, which is a shame as they did add something but the vocals by Shadows are melodic and show what a truly great singer he is. On the drum front I was extremely impressed, I bought sounding the 7th Trumpet not long after this 'cause I am really into A7X at the moment and listening to the difference in drumming between the two I could hardly believe it was the same guy - he has improved tremendously and now adds some welcome doouble bass peddling insanity. Guitars are quite simply the best I have heard from any band that don't stem from the eighties. The rhythm work is powerful and aggressive, but also has tricky rhythmic twists a la Pantera. The leads are just awesome I have heard a single one which doesn't contain a superbly fitted melodic theme, and the vast majority also feature some depressingly good shredding. There are a variety of styles present here, all given a slight A7X twist and it makes for a very diverse yet cohesive album. Metal and hard rock predominate but there are classical, flamenco and country touches to be found. // 10

Lyrics: Superbly sung lyrics, none singing about flowers or happinnes, but this is rock so thats hardly unexpected. The music is aggressive and sinister but also thoughtful and moving and the lyrics fit these moods well. The Wicked End seems to be about original sin, Sidewinder about a predatory snake and MIA a criticism of war. As stated earlier I think that though loss of screaming has led to less harsh contrast in the singing there is still a great deal of variety, power and emotion. I find them hard to fault. // 10

Overall Impression: Best album of the buch easily, I love the mix of heavy riffs and beatiful harmonized melodies, the jaw dropping solos, songwriting ingenuity and the melodic vocals. My favourite tracks are hard to pick as I love each one, but at a push Bat Country and Trashed And Scattered rock particularly hard. If this album were stolen I would hunt down the thief and seal them in a mental institution playing a contant loop of the fast food rockers greatest hits. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Awesome sound, cuts and everything its a masterpiece like it should be. I can stand people who don't like this band, but I can't stand people claiming they suck, or that this album is gay 'cause there is no screams or whatever. This album its probably the best metal album ever, you probably think I'm bullshitting but ill tell you my reasons. If you compare it to any metal album, band or whatever. This album will defenitely be the way higher in music quality than anything you might have listened. If you thought Dream Theater was a progressive and constant changer of styles, avenged's cd will make you change your mind. The solos, drum cuts, voices, choruses and overall sound its completely perfect. All the songs are really good, they set a "personal seal" and they are all complex songs. Forget Green Day and their 2 minutes 3 chords songs. This is an evolution of music, take it or leave it, but it takes a s--tload of music skills to understand such a great band. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are awesome, they fit that's something not every singer does. Shadow knows how to write and sing and even though there is some cursing in this album it's by no way near any other metal album you've heard. The lyrics are rich, they go along with the music perfectly and make a point from the begging to the end of the every single song. Choruses are fabulous, full of them but all excellent, they set a direction for the lyrics, in beast and harlot the chorus is amazing. It feels a completely different environment specificly set for that song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album rocks, simply rocks, it has an outstanding s--tload of musical skills in the guitar, drums, base and singing. It's easy, this dudes know what they are doing and they are currently creating awesome stuff, and I'm not saying they've created a new music style but if you think the best Slayer, Pantera, GN'R, Metallica or your fav. band's song was hard to compose your gonna piss your pants with this songs, they have a bit of everything, the solos are awesome, but not just that, the drums cuts with the guitars speak for themselves. Anyways, give this album a try because if you don't like it, it's not gonna be because this guys suck. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: People call them metal, some people call them punk-metal. I call them the future of heavy metal. This CD is alot different than their other two CDs (Waking The Fallen, Sounding The Seventh Trumpet). The guitarist are the best guitarists I know. They play very well and clean. More effects on this cd than last time. There are many musical moments in this when they have the boys choir and when the have the Spaghetti western intro. Two of the band members were co-cunductors I believe. They did a sweet job and I can't forget their scintillating guitr riffs like burn it down, Bat Country and almost every song you'll find a great guitar part. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very good and evil like usual. It fits in so well to the style of guitar they play. The singer is way better than the last two albums because of his throat surgery he can't scream so he sings more. // 10

Overall Impression: Burn It Down, Bat Country and MIA are my favorite songs. Almost bought it twice. I would deffinately punch a retard, f--k a grandma and some other nasty s--t like that. Best musically inclined CD ever. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound is very good, they recorded in the studio with the guitarist from Mudvayne and the music itself has evolved quite a lot since their earlier albums; "Sounding The Seventh Trumpet" and "Waking The Fallen." The CD is filled with meaningful lyrics that complement M. Shadow's voice after he had his throat surgery. Their first albums were strictly hardcore, but after Shadows had surgery on his throat after a blood vessel was bruising his vocal chord, they have mellowed out with singing and guitar harmonys through synyster gates and zacky vengeance. Synyster Gates may also be the most advanced guitar player of this century, with "gut-busting" solos and harmony's together with Zacky, his musical background and musical college attendance really shines through. Ending songs in Flamenco style guitar and starting with old western acoustic pieces, the sound could not be better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics I cannot describe entirely, as they differ from song to song. They are all written by Avenged sevenfold and all have meanings to them. A song that perticularly strikes out to me is the song "MIA" also known as Missing In Action. This song refers to the war and has a very strong opinion on it. With lyrics such as "Some are scared, others killing for fun. I shot a mother right in front of her son. Take this from my conciousness and please erase my dreams" M. Shadow's vocal skill really shines through with this album. Although he might sound nasally at some points of the new songs, he is still the perfect frontman for their new music style. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive song on the album is a very hard choice seing as I like them all. The most lyric driven would be "MIA." To complement The guitarists the song would have to be "Beast and the harlott" and "Sidewinder" while complementing the drummer and bassist (the reverend and johny christ) would have to be "The Wicked End." I love the guitar solos and harmony's in this album, both players have really evolved and their practise shows with technical shred and harmony's good enough for my father to listen to although he hates rock music. M. Shadow's new voice is a hate it or love it situation, where I personally love it. With his new singing voice came more evolved lyrics that really get through to you. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: One of the best CD's I've ever heard. This album is absolutely amazing. The sound quality is great and the music is even better. Synaster and Zacky are absolutely amazing guitarists who are right up there with Zepplin, Marley, and Clapton. The Rev is absolutely kick ass drummer and Shadows new and improved voice gives this album its wings to fly higher than any other. The variety of music is awesome and the the music has never lost A7X's heavy metal edge. If anything, these guys must have practice a whole lot between Wakin the Fallen and City of Evil. My favorite songs are Trashed and Scattered (which wields some godly guitar playin), Seize the Day (absolutely kick ass ballad), and MIA (really meaningful and amazingly played song). Some other great songs are Beast and the Harlot, Bat Country, and The Wicked End. If you dont like the band, thats cool, I can't change that. If you say they suck, you have absolutely no sense of great rock music. A7X forever! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are great; especially in Seize the Day and MIA. Absolutely genius. The lead singer, M. Shadows, now possess an absolutely amazing singing voice. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. I though Wakin the Fallen was a great album, but I was blown away by City of Evil. I hope A7X makes another album with the same qualities as this one. A7X rules! // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: fade2black2004, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound and music is great, they have really complicated solos, but also they have really easy melodic rhythm. It's very diffrent from the previous album in my opnion but that's definitely not a bad thing. // 9

Lyrics: I thought that the lyrics were amazing, I think they spend alot of time and they are very dedicated in ther music and it shows. Shadows voice is diffrent in this album then in Waking The Fallen but as I said before that is not a bad thing. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definatly one of the best to come out this year, I love the song MIA I think its amazing, there are parts in some songs where shadowsvoice gets really slow and weird but its not that big of a turn off to me I still think its an incredable CD, if it were stolen I would be so pissed I would have to go buy two more copies to be safe. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Kutless, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This CD is amazing. The guitar work is phenomenal. Gates and Vengeance do an awesome job. The guitar harmonies throughout the disc is awesome. The Rev's drumming has improved greatly. I honestly think that any "real" musician will love the instrumentation on this disc. "Sidewinder" ends with two emxican guitars soloing back and forth. It's truly amazing. The solo at the end of "MIA" is great. They kind of shifted gears from hardcore to a more metal sound. Best guitar and drum work since bands like Metallica and Megadeth. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent as well. "The Beast And The Harlot" goes along with Revelation 18. "Seize The Day" is also lyrically excellent, "Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost." I kind of miss the screaming from previous A7X albums. The vocals on this CD are alot different then waking the fallen and sounding the seventh trumpet. Shadows does an excellent job though, even with his throat problems. Synester Gates and Zacky Vengeance also do an excellent job with backing vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: As a hardcore kid I like waking the fallen better, but as a guitarist I like City Of Evil. So I'm torn on which A7X is better. Regardless, this is an awesome album that any musician should have. The best songs are "Sidewinder," "The Beast And The Harlot," and "MIA." If this CD were stolen I would skip school, work or anything to go buy it again. It's truly amazing. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound is absolute stutter. I love this album musically! Even though the vocals were not what I expected, I grew to love them as well. I give this a 9 because the vocal work wasn't as great ad Waking The Fallen singing, instead it was nasally and a bit whiney (ex. Burn It Down). I understand he was having vocal problems, but I really think he should of atleast attempted to do a little bit of the Waking The Fallen-ish kind of style. Overall for sound: great guitars, lots of longer and more rich sounding solos than the previous albums, and well done vocals (even though it wasn't what I expected). 01. Synyster Gates - great leading on this album, could of done better, but very well done 10/10. 02. Johnny Christ - finally! You can actually hear the bass more clear on this album (especially Blinded In Chains, loving the bass solo) 9/10. 03. Zacky Vengeance - great rythm, but could of tried to be more unique on the beats than basic power chording 8/10. 04. The Rev - wow! Just wow! he done soo much on this album. Double bass, awesome snare lines, and most importantly, very focused on the beats with the guitar 10/10. 05. M.shadows - great vocal work, was expecting more, but still absoultly entertaining. A little bit of a mix of Axl Rose and Mike Patton 10/10. // 9

Lyrics: I expected more in the lyrics! After listening to Waking The Fallen, I was expecting more deep rich tales from the bible (the reason I don't rate this any lower than a 9 is because their was some biblical references in majority of the songs, but not as deep). Not saying they are a Christian rock band, just saying I love how they take the most interesting bible stories and bring them to life in their music. You'd expect for them to talk about death and stuff like that, but instead they take you through a journey of stories and almost makes you feel like you are experiencing something unique on your own. Very good lyrics overall, but not as good and deep as Waking The Fallen was. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this album! Took me a few listens to get use to it, but now I can't stop listening to this masterpiece. Avenged Sevenfold is the leader of the next rock revolution of the 21st Century! If it wasn't for Warner Brothers, who knows where they would be right now! Avenged will continue to make great music even after this album, each album is it's own sound and most indefinitly will progress throough each one. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: HIM%(^, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound is decend. Some of the riffs are good. You can definatly tell that they switched labels because their sound is alot happier and not as raw. Which is a bad thing. They do have some fairly decent solos on their album but when they play live, they really cant play them that well at all. They use a completly different guitar tone then on Waking The Fallen which I thought was their greatest and is a masterpeice. The guitar playing is the only thing holding this album togehter. // 6

Lyrics: I hate it. He sings and it sounds so gay. They just took the money route into gayness and sang. I loved how he screamed in Waking The Fallen then would sing. His singing was so rare that it was refreshing and had meaning and was soulful. Now they just sound like some other stupid emo band on MTV. Horrible. He sings really high and gay. He needs to start screaming again quick because this album makes him look like a pussy. I don't find the lyrics to have as much of a impact on me as Waking The Fallen. They don't have any thourough meaning. Waking The Fallen was gradually a story. A dark, myseterious story that was told fantasticly. This album has no central meaning and was basically made just so they could capitalize off the fact that they are now part of a major record label and can make money. I don't like the singing at all. The screaming was the best. // 3

Overall Impression: I hate this album. It's so sad to see how such a great band with such great songwriting skills could turn into the generic MTV band. They used to be unique now they just aren't. Although they aren't my favorite band (Metallica is) I see this album as the st. Anger of A7X. I hate it and I hate the fact that a once really good underground band is now a blown out of proportion gay sounding emo band. They aren't as heavey in this album then in others and its way to melodic. It sounds happy and nowhere near as soulful as Waking The Fallen. The lack of screaming is just completly unlike A7X as their genre was once screamo. In music their are two roads. One road is creating great music and not making as much money, and the other is making other peoples music that stinks like shit and making a huge amount of money and being famous. Sadly they took the second road. It's really sad that they went this way. I bought this record not knowing what to expect and all it did was make me sad. I wouldn't buy it nor download it again because I never listen to it. If it were stolen I would be happier that I am left alone with their career masterpeice and unfortunatly a thing of the past. I hate this album. Most true fans do to. // 2

City Of Evil Reviewed by: llama_slap, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This CD is amazing, and I'm sick of hearing people bash it. The sound is much different from their previous records, no screaming, crazier guitar playing, etc. Personally, I think that their music has gotten progressively better with each CD, while many will disagree with this. It is just one of those cds that you either love or hate, but definately give it a listen if you have a chance. And if you read my Waking the Fallen review, disregard it. I wrote it when I haden't really listen closely to this CD! // 10

Lyrics: I don't know why, but the cursing gets annoying. Everything else is great. Some of the songs tell a story, like The Beast and the Harlot. The songs whose lyrics stuck out to me that I can think of right now are M.I.A., Seize The Day, and Sidewinder. The lyrics go great with the music, and the singing is good. Though at the end of M.I.A. M. Shadows' voice gets annoying because he gets up to really high notes and sounds like he has a cock stuck up his nose. // 9

Overall Impression: This is their best album, hands down. A7X are now one of my favorite bands. Here is my breakdown of each song: 01. The Beast And The Harlot - good song, but some parts could've been better. Great guitar playing and awesome solo, though. 02. Burn It Down - very good song. Another cool solo and sweet guitar riffs. 03. Blinded In Chains - Political song. Would've been a ten if some of the dumb parts were shaved off to make the song shorter. 04. Bat Country - good song, but got annoying after hearing it all of the time. Great solo and I love the sweep picking. Check out my tab of this song! 05. Trashed And Scattered - (boy it's hard to get a ten out of me) good, but the bridge parts are kinda gay. Awesome guitars again. 06. Sieze The Day - slower song, but very good. The sweep solo at the end is amazing, and the lyrics are great. 07. Sidewinder - this song is good all the way through. Cool Spanish guitars in the end, awesome guitar-especially the dual solo(amazing) and sweep part is very cool, great lyrics, you can't go wrong here. 08. The Wicked End - some parts could be cut. I remember the 1st time I listened to the lead intro music and just being like WOW! I have to learn that. I also think that the prechorus (only music part) has some of the best music on the CD. 09. Strength Of The World - cool, heavy riffs, nice dual guitar work, acoustic and slide guitars used also. Long song, but good all the way through. Starts out slow, but picks up. 10. Betrayed - this song did not hold my attention past the nice intro music. I know it's a tribute to Dimebag, but it sucks nonetheless. 11. MIA - I could go on forever about this song, it is probably my favorite (probably). My favorite guitar work on the cd and maybe ever is after the second chorus, where Zacky and Synyster play the dual part. It goes great with the lyrics. The music all the way thru is great and holy shitzu, the solo is crazy! Awesome lyrics. M.I.A. and Sidewinder are my favorites on the CD, but every song except Betrayed was impressive. I would buy it again in a heartbeat if anything happened to it. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's earlier albums were screaming, dark music, and just pure metalcore. Now they have slowed donw and added a little more harmonies to each and every song, the osngs are lighter and softer. Zacky and Syny show of their talents of soloing in the songs, Bat Country, The Wicked End, Beast And The Harlot, and Betrayed. They have many great harmonies such as Burn it Down, The Wicked End, Sidewinder, and Trashed And Scattered. The song that stands out the most would be Seize The Day, it's slow, acoustic, in regular tuning, and just a lot more melodic. The Rev "drummer" has found his true drumming skills. In Burn it Donw, the intro drumming part just tells you alot. If you listen to Beast And The Harlot, then you will see what I mean, the drums in there seriously sound like an octupus is hitting them. Johnny Christ "bassist" has a nice bass line in The Wicked End. // 8

Lyrics: Matt may not be able to scream, but he sure can sing. In some songs his voice is whiny aand high pitched and out of tune, but he tries. He still has that raspy voice though. Syn and Zacky Do an excellent job for backup singers. // 8

Overall Impression: I would compare this to Waking The Fallen, there are twice as many harmonies, but the lack of dark riffs makes the albmus different musically. Lyrically, Waing the Fallen was mainly about death. This album has loads of different lyrics. Sining wise was the biggest change. It went from dark growling/screaming to a actual vpice. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Ok, this CD definetly sounds a lot diferent from their first two CDs. The first 5 songs on this CD are still loud, fast, and furious, but there is no longer screaming in this album, because of M. Shadows vocal cord injury. He can still sing, but some parts sound a little whiny, but hey, the album rocks enough to make up for it. Songs like Seize the Day and Strength of the World definetly sound unlike the previous music- these songs are slower, quieter, but nonetheless still rock. Synyster and Zacky still show their mindbending skill on guitar with songs like Bat Country, Beast and the Harlot, and The Wicked End. Johnny Christ throws in awesome bass solos in Blinded in Chains and The Wicked End intro, and the Reverend has a crazy drum solo in Beast and the Harlot. Overall, the CD is awesome, but longtime fans of A7X might not like how it's mellowed out somewhat. Best songs- Bat Country and Wicked End. Personally, I like this CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good in this CD, especially The Wicked End, even though throughout the CD there are spots where Matt's voice sounds whiny, but it's overlookable. Matt can still sing, but there is no screaming on this CD unlike A7X's original music, except in the Beast and the Harlot intro/outro. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definetly an awesome CD with unforgettable songs, but it's really not comparable to WTF and SST. This is only because the first two Cds and City of Evil sound a lot different from each other. The only problems with this CD are how it mellows out a little too much in songs 9 and 10, but the are still good songs, and how Matt sounds whiny, but again it's not a big deal. I actually had this CD stolen out of my locker at school one day, and went out and bought it along with their other CDs less than 2 days later, because they were so good. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Paul Glaze, on december 13, 2007

Sound: Striving to create his album with no screaming, M. Shadows came up wth City of Evil. Still in transition from Waking the Fallen, his singing is a lot of the time a mixture of screaming and singing, a kind of raspy yell that takes the breakdowns higher. However, as talented as M. Shadows may be, it is the guitar and drums that set the album apart. All the solos are carefully constructed to run smoothly and not take away from the songs. Here is my list of reviews for songs individually. 01. Beast And The Harlot - the opener for the album is one of the exceptions on the all singing album rule. The intro is easily recognizable, with a nice long scream in the background from M.Shadows. However, that soon gives way to the fast steady drumbeats (in sync with the palm muted guitar of course) of the Reverend. The tempo is fast, and aall the solos end on high notes to keep you upbeat about the rest of the album. When I first heard it, I love it, but over time I have grown to the point where I don't listen to it anymore, really. 02. Burn It Down - The Rev. opens us up with fast double bass and the snare, but then is contrasted by the relative niceness of the opening riff. M. Shadows gives us nothing special the first half of the song, but the words are nicely accompanied by the drums, with quick drum rolls on all the important parts. A crowd favorite, the breakdown is the best part of the song, grunts and groans and all. Quick, hammering solo by synester. 03. Blinded In Chains - one of my favorites, this song is all about the drums. The Reverend opens us up and takes us all the way throgh the song, nicely accompanied by synester's fast, but well composed solos. The notes used for the words are perfectly composed and tie the entire piece together. 04. Bat Country - their second most overplayed song, next to Unholy Confessions, opens with a scream, and uses the chorus to carry the song. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the song, but it isnt what everyone is trying to make it be. The solo is nice and high, with the band going back to their iron maiden roots to deliver a good song with the right parts to remember, but after the last song, it seemed like a letdown. 05. Sieze The Day - when you first get the album and listen to the first four, you are getting pumped up, then all of a sudden there's this random slower song, and you feel slighted. It took me a while to finally understand and appreciate the fullness and completeness the song gives to the album. M.Shadows leads with a beautiful performance, harmonizing with the guitar so that you almost can't tell where the words end and music begins. The solo is easy, yet compliments the sng with just how great it sounds. The last verse is especially great, definetly not a song to skip. 06. Trashed And Scattered - of all the hard songs on here, this is their best. It isn't my favorite song, but it comes close. Opening with pure guitar, the entire band follows in just giving it everything. Every once in a while they pause long enough to tell you that "your gibberin don't mean shit". Once they get to the breakdown, your in heaven. You can't resist head banging even a little. Great song, but the ride isn't over. 07. Sidewinder - it opens with a harmonized guitar part that leads into the rest of the band. Not as distorted as most of the other songs, but the subtle references to snakes are great if you pick up on them. Most of all, look for the harmonized solo between gates and vengeance to lead up to the acoustic part, done by one of the band member's fathers. Although you may be tempted to skip to the next song at this part, don't. It's worth it. 08. Betrayed - this song is a little cliche. OK, I enjoy a few cliche lines every once in a while to, but they actually used the line "I feel you burn inside, burn in me like the rising sun" but aside from a few lines like that, an all around good song. It doesn't quite live up to the rest of the album, but it doesn't take away from it either. 09. Strength Of The World - in my opinion (and only mine), the best track on the entire album. You see, the album reads like a story. You have your introduction (beast and the harlot), your rising actions(burn it down through Trashed and Scattered), your plot twist (Sieze The Day), a little more action (Betrayed), and finally the climax! At nine minutes this song is one hell of a climax. It opens with an acoustic riff accompanied by a violin, changing quickly into the main riff, and then enters M.Shadows with a big grin on his face singing about family members being dead. After a few short solos ther simply to enhance the song, synester gates bursts out with a solo that fulfills all your hopes about the song. Finally the orchestra enters again to bring you out, and they leave the last chord ringing. 10. The Wicked End - Gates and Vengeance make use of the harmonized guitar solo here, and they do it quickly. M. Shadows provides the energy this time, letting the guitarists handle seaming it together. All of a sudden in the middle, it slows down and does this part that kind of reminds me of a movie soundtrack. Then it's right back to the action that begins to transition you towards the final piece. 11. Missing In Action - probablly the second or third best song on the CD, it starts with a slow, distant sounding Guitar Melody, and M.Shadows sounding the nicest he can. It them explodes into the main riffs, but then goes silent for the greatest part of possibly the entire album. Everything goes quiet, and Shadows screams "The fighting rages on and on/To challenge me you must be strong/I walk the land but don't belong/Two million soldiers can't be wrong." It is done so simply and magnificently that they immeadiatly catch you for the entire song. Although I admit the chorus s a litlle unlike them, but it is still a great song. // 9

Lyrics: Avenged Sevenfold lyrics get the main point of the words across without connectiing them. They are deep, great lyrics, but they aren't quite fluid enough to be really good. Their writing got a lot better on the new album, and they do sing more fluidly. However, even if it doesn't flow just right, it suits them fine, and it leaves me wanting more. No complaints really. // 8

Overall Impression: It is an entirely new kind of music for them, without screaming, and I kind of get the impression that they tried to make up for it with their guitar and drums. The three most impressive songs of the album are (in my opinionated order) Strength Of The World, M.I.A., Blinded In Chains. Personally I loved the entire album. If I lost it, it would definetly be worth the money again. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: 666James666, on july 24, 2008

Sound: Most metalcore bands get trapped in their own stagnation. Not Avenged Sevenfold. I don't think they could even be labelled metalcore at this point - I'm not sure there's a label for them at all. They truly have caught onto something they can call all their own. "City Of Evil" may be a little mature for their current fanbase to handle, but regardless, it's the next logical step for this band who never cease to progress. Based on the songs I had heard before I received my copy of "City Of Evil", I had the album pegged all wrong. Those tracks, "Beast & The Harlot" and "Trashed & Scattered" were both epic and anthemic respectively and seemed to be pretty much exactly where I would've expected Avenged Sevenfold to go following "Waking The Fallen". There were no screams, but you won't find those anywhere on "City Of Evil" as singer M. Shadows burst some blood vessels in his throat. He still has those wonderful clean vocals that so many other bands attempt to do, but fail. The vocals are just one radical change A7X have taken. As if they don't put enough of a twist on the band's sound alone, the group have written their most expansive and unrestrained album to date. They've also let their guitarists shine moreso on "City Of Evil" than ever before. We knew they were competent with a few solos on "Waking The Fallen", but pretty much every song on "City Of Evil" has at least one solo in the blazing category. "Sidewinder" ends with a flamenco guitar lead that is really mind-blowing. "Beast & The Harlot" has a solo that would make even the most triumphant of power metal acts nod in approval. // 10

Lyrics: I'd say that Avenged Sevenfold were listening to a lot of Pantera, Sonata Arctica and Dream Theater during the writing sessions for "City Of Evil". The vocal patterns are the most adventurous they've ever been. I'd expect this from M. Shadows though. Since he doesn't have a scream to rely on, he certainly was going to compensate with a versatile performance. Some of his new vocal styles are a little tough to get used to, but once you notice how they fit in with the music, it works out. // 10

Overall Impression: On a whole, I think "City Of Evil" is not going to be as immediately digestable as previous A7X offerings were. A lot has changed in the Avenged Sevenfold camp since "Waking The Fallen" and it took me a few listens to really see where the band were on "City Of Evil" and to appreciate it. If you're expecting instant catchiness and gratification, you're going to be severely disappointed. However, I think this is something the band's fans can get used to and really grow to love. Hell, "City Of Evil" might be the album to get metalcore out of it's current funk, because it damn sure needs a savior. Some people would question why I even review Avenged Sevenfold albums on my website. They're not really a metal band. There is no answer that's going to please most of the readers of the site, but I can tell you that I continue to do so because they continue to bowl me over with each album they release. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: \m/A7X\m/, on january 12, 2010

Sound: First off, Avenged Sevenfold don't have a particular sound that can be pinned on them, each album is strikingly different, the best way to describe the sound of City of Evil is a journey. Throughout the album are single and duel guitar leads which blend and slide with and around each other to give a sense of depth to the sound. The shortest song is Burn it Down, ...it's 5.01mins. If you want short sharp songs put the album back on the shelf and walk away. Shadows takes a new turn on his singing voice, moving from scream to gritty melodic singing. As mentioned earlier, Syn and Zacky blitz their way through a mixture of leads, riffs and solos, Johnny has a sweet bass solo on Blinded in Chains. The Rev (RIP) mixes the beat and dictates the tempo of the songs which in its self can change multiple times a song. Overall, its a lot of sound, it may take you more than one listening to fully appreciate the skill and audibility of every part of every song. My top 3 sounding songs -1 Beast and the Harlot, 2- Bat Country, 3- Sidewinder // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics, well, Beast and the Harlot has an obvious story of The whores of Babylon and other biblical figures, Betrayed, a beautiful tribute to Dimebag Darrell almost directs it towards the murderer as to why would you do it he was your idol etc, Bat Country is summed up as a wild drive in Vegas and is one of the bands most recognised songs. Again, like the sound, it twists and turn, Shadows can put a deep catchy sound on one part and drift into a melodic chorus or outro of a song. Overall not bad, it fits the music well though. Three best. -1 Betrayed, 2- MIA, Trashed and Scattered // 9

Overall Impression: How does the album compare to other artists, my first impression is of Iron Maiden except that as I said, Avenged Sevenfold have their own sound and even though its completley different to anything they've done before it, it works, it showed (past tense, this was written in January 2010) that they were unafraid to change and it paid off with mainstream success and a wider fanbase. What I love about this album is the depth, the guitar leads and just something you could put on the CD player or ipod and just drive for an hour and a half in the sun just chilling out to the music. I'm not a great fan of the lack of riffs though, bar Beast and the Harlot, the riffs are very well hidden and like Eternal Rest (from Waking the Fallen) a couple of songs with a groovy catchy and utterly insane riff would have made this the perfect album. Three Overall best songs 01. Beast and the Harlot 02. Bat Country 03. Sidewinder // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: On city of evil theres an extremely wide range range of songs. From latin to death metal with not much screaming and more melody and metal. Woo! Theres a solo on every song, and all are extremely fast and very cool. // 10

Lyrics: Matt has a very cool voice. He doesn't looks like he would have a cool voice, he looks like he would have an extremely screamy, what the heck are you saying voice. But no, it's cool. I see hes gotten into cussing more, also cool. This album has pretty dark sad and also some funny lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the coolest album so far of 2005 and will probably stay that way until the new AFI album comes out wee! But this album is awesome in all ways and I give it a 5 out of 5! // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold return with their major lable debut and it sounds absolutely brilliant. The guitar work is as creative as ever, and, althought M. Shadows may not scream anymore, his voice still sounds fantastic. He really shows off how well he can sing on this record. The band experiment a lot more with sound in this CD, with the use of violins and mexican sounding guitar solo's. It works really well for them. // 10

Lyrics: A7X are good lyricists, not great, but still good. This album explores a lot more than the previous in terms of song meaning and I think there has been an immense improvment in lyrics. Seize The Day is a beautiful song that is the expected slow song of the album (the Warmness on the Soul and I Won't See You Tonight of the CD). The lyrics suit the music perfectly, with opener Beast and The Harlot having words that are exactly what you'd expect in such a power-metal-esque song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is fantastic. There's no other way of describing it. I was anxious to see what A7X would come up with after releasing the brilliance that is Waking The Fallen, but they have done themselves proud. This album is a must have for all metal fans. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Truly amazing, that's all I have to say about this album. This is definitely one of my favorite albums. They have such a fast and unique style, and I like M. Shadow's singing, even though he doesn't scream on this album but that's ok. It was still awesome. The Beast And The Harlot and Sidewinder had, in my opinion, the best solo's on the entire album. I also thought that The Wicked End was an amazing song, one of my fav's. Awesome style. // 10

Lyrics: He doesn't scream on it, but he still has an awesome voice and I liked his singing on every song. I didn't, however, really like how he cussed quite a bit on this album. That's the only downfall I had about it. I don't mind cussing, and for a lot of bands it's ok to, but for example, I really liked how he didn't use one cuss word on "Waking The Fallen." It's nice to see a band that doesn't have to use bad words to make it sound "cool." But now that I've listened to the album over and over again, I don't mind the cussing anymore. Loved the lyrics, very strong message imo. // 10

Overall Impression: A7X is amazing and this album is amazing! A definitely must get. This is one of the best albums I've ever heard, and I've heard plenty of albums, great work A7X! // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: finisher, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Svenfold have totally switched their music style from metal to more slow rock. It sounds totally different from their previous album Waking The Fallen. Lots of cool melodies, sweet riffs and solos. Musically I think this album is better than the previous. The Rev (drummer) has improved alot and is now one of the best drummers I'v ever heard. He uses crazy double bass alot. Synyster Gates is now Slash Jr. His solos are compairable to Slash's. I really think he is proving that he is one of the best. And is showing how much potential he has to be one of the best. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows no longer screams, moans, groans, or yells anymore and that sucks because he was very good at it. Now his voice is kinda woosy. The lyrics on the album are cleary about negative aspects and I guess Shadows voice does fit them good. // 6

Overall Impression: City Of Evil is an amazing album and even with Shadows voice gone down hill he still makes good tunes. This CD is amazing Avenged Sevenfold is amazing. If your a fan of them pick it up. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound of City Of Evil is simply awesome. A rocking album through and through. There are great guitar leads and sweet riffs in every song. Gates has really improved his skills, and the solos are much better constructed on this album than on Waking The Fallen. There is a presence of more classic metal influence than hardcore on this album as well. // 10

Lyrics: The lack of screaming was quite a change, and I do miss it. Even so, it's more reminiscent of old school metal at times because of this. Matt's voice is slightly more nasal now due to his throat surgery, but the difference isn't hard to get used to. I've always liked his voice. There are some lame lyrical moments, but overall, they're pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: I must say that I enjoy it very much. I think I still prefer Waking The Fallen as of right now, but that could change with more listening to City Of Evil. I definately recommend picking it up and giving it a listen. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: I think this is one of the best cds, based on just the music, that I hav ever heard. I'm a musician myself and I am definately inspired by this CD. Synester Gates has proven himself one of the best guitarists ever to me by his awesome and just amazing solos and sweet riffs, he has shown his potential to become a legend in the same league with Randy Rhodes and Angus Young in this album. The Rev has improved a lot from their last 2 albums, he has come up with crazy double bass beats along with simple single bass riffs and awesome percussion inserts to the music on songs like Sidewinder. In my opinion he is one of the best drummers I have ever heard. // 10

Lyrics: Because M. Shadows bursted a blood vessel in his neck, he can't scream and moan like he did in their previous albums, I didn't like his screaming much anyway b/c it was gettin incomprehinsable. His voice has changed a little, but his voice fits the negative lyrics perfect. I think the lyrics are awsome, I like lyrics about a story or a point instead of just pretty much random things like some bands. I'm kind of a christian and I like how he puts stuff from the bible in his lyrics, stuff that is just interesting like in the beast and the harlot. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this is one of the best cds I hav ever heard and if I lost it or sometin I would definatly buy it again. If you like A7X, buy the CD, you'll love it as much as me. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This CD I actually picked up the day it came out, something I rarely do unless I'm really into the band. I had heard the songs "The Beast And The Harlot" and "Trashed And Scattored Before" and did like them a lot, but they also brought diffrent expectations for me. I was expecting a complete metal CD. To my suprise I was wrong, it was an extremely unique styly, I loved it. Being a musician one of the maing things I listen to is the flow of everything and the technicalness of it and making sure its not 3 cheesy power chords. The music over all is amazing. The guitarists on this CD have amazing lead and rhythm riffs. The songs would even sound amazing instrumental with all the melodic lead guitar going on. Rev (drummer) has even shown some amazing improvement compared to old works. songs like Sidewinder and The Wicked End even through in new things not many bands do. Such as the flamenco guitar ending in the song Sidewinder. One of my favorite things being that the guitar is panned out on it and switches from left to right giving it a completely amazing effect. And the full orchestra and choir on the wicked end brings things to a higher level then what most bands do, like using just strings. This is by far the best rock album so far in 2005. You don't half to be an A7X fan to pick it up, just a fan of good music. // 10

Lyrics: To be honest at the beginning I wasnt to into the vocals, but after a while I did get used to them and have grown to love them. Lyric-wise I like the songs, and to come up with about 6 minutes worth of lyrics for each song is quite a challenge. I really like a lot of the backround vocals too, except in strength of the world, that would be my only complaint. But over all I love them. Shadows lyrics and singing in this new CD. // 10

Overall Impression: Completely amazing CD. One of my favorite rock CD's. I usually despise a lot of music out there for its poor musical skill and only listen to a lot of the rock I do for pure entertaintment not to be impressed. But this CD really does both. All of the musical skill in this CD is just flat out mind blowing. This CD was put together extremely well in every single aspect. If you want to hear amazing music by amazing musicians definetly pick up this CD. If I could give this CD a 10 rating I defintetly would. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: I think that the solo's on this album is mind blowing. Everything is more or less just perfect. And Gates is a great lead guitarist and Zacky got skills too. Christ is a very good bass player, compared to other "new" beass players. These days, I don't think that rock is not about good musicians, just get money. Not all bands are that way, but I think that many bands think that way. A7X are one of the better bands, in every way. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics not bad at all, the lyrics are very good. Thay are well written and Shadow are a perfect lead volcalist for A7X. He has a sound that no one can be compared to. Superb lyrics, and one of the best vox in the world, I think. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall inpression of A7X's "City Of Evil" must be close to perfect. There is no band's that goes close to them or tuches them. The songs I like the must be "Bat Country," "Trashed And Scattered," "Seize The Day" and "Blinded In Chains." But whats the point of telling you that when all the songs are great. This is one of the best albums "ever" I would say. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Ok this is Avenged Sevenfold's third full-length album. In my opinion it's not the best one they've put out. Waking The Fallen was so much better. The guitar on this ablum is of course very amazing. The solos here are a lot better and deffinately more complicated. They're trying for a whole metal revival thing here which is good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were all in all just ok. They fit some of the songs. They were'nt the usual Avenged lyrics. They almost how the feel of a concept album. Shadows' vocals on this ablum in my opinion are well, not his greatest. He had throat sugery so he can't pull of what he used to. He just sounds so nasaly on this album that it's annoying. // 6

Overall Impression: Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking The Fallen were way better then this album. MIA and Strength Of The World are probobly my favorite tracks. They tried for a metal revival and in my opinion they just tried to hard. I was looking forward to this ablum for a long time and I'm said to say I'm very dissapointed. If it was lost I would wait a while to rebuy it. // 8

City Of Evil Reviewed by: ffaf_kick_ass, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Out of sounding the Seventh Trumpet, Waking The Fallen and City Of Evil, this one has got to be the best out of the lot, purely because of the variety of the music used in it (just listen to Sidewinder). Even though there are different sounds in this album, it has still got that A7X feel to it with the simply amazing guitar work done by synester and Zacky. And you can actually hear the bass guitar really well on this album unlike WTF in particular. Avenged are one of the few bands who can try different styles, make it sound awsome and still keep there own originality about it (take note Linkin Park) the music by avenged also appeals greatly to both genders unlike My Chemical Romance who are only a hit now because they wear face paint now and their vocalist is supposedly good looking with virtually every girl with no musical knowledge turning up at their gigs to look at Gerard Way and start crying. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics produced by Avenged Sevenfold can be seen in two ways: same old depressing lyrics, whats the difference between these and other bands who write this kind of stuff? Or it can be seen as a well structured piece of lyrical genius. I would edge for the second reason, but only because the lyrics fit so amazingly well with the music. the one thing that dissapointed me was M Shadows voice. I thought it was totally awsome on WTF. Shame about him having to control the screams which he did really well on that album. I would give 3.5 to the lyrics if I could but seeing as I cant I'm going for 4 because I'm a massive avenged fan and I'm biased. // 8

Overall Impression: After litening to WTF and COE about a million times each, I think that COE is just about better than WTF (STST was too screamo I thought). Give it a few years and I think Avenged will have a massive impact on the world as no matter what music you listen to you've got to give credit to the guitar work and even though the reverend on drums hardly gets a mention, he deserves to because he's also quality. Avenged Sevenfold are the new Maiden, and if they keep pumping out those 6min+ songs like there doing now then they are going to be huge. If it was stolen I would kick the buggers head in that stole it and then go home and listen to it for a day solid. If I couldn't find him/her that stole it I would have to wait until there is a sale in my local music store to buy it again because I'm jobless. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: hammett_slash89, on may 01, 2007

Sound: In my opinion this is A7X at their best. The duel guitar attacks are amazing the solos are amazing, the songs are complete with acoustic songs and instrumentals but it all contributes together and makes it complete. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing since Shadows burst a blood vessel in his throat he has had a better voice than before. And he has become a lyrical genius. He's new range of vocals are better than before. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite CDs. Some of the best songs are Beast And The Harlot, Sidewinder, Betrayed, Trashed And Scattered, and Strength Of The World. I love the duel guitar attacks, vocals, insane solos, and the acoustic songs. If this were lost or stolen I would buy it again within the hour. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound compared to the albums Waking The Fallen and Sound Of The Seventh Trumpet on City Of Evil is so much better. The Rev is without one of the best drummers I've heard, he's amazing with his variety of rythem with double bass and I was shocked when I heard the drum break during "Blinded In Chains" as well as different styles of drumming such as the ending of "Sidewinder." Gates has more skill on a guitar compared to every metal guitarist that I have heard. He combines an '80s with Latin in his solos and its just extremely intense (note "Sidewinder" and "The Wicked End." Gates's and Zacky's harmonized guitar riffs are very symphonic and very enjoyable to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: Before buying this album, I knew that Shadows had throat surgery and wasn't screaming anymore. I was apprehensive and a little disappointed because he has one of the coolest and tolerable screams out there. But when I started listening to the songs - I was amazed to hear the singing talent the man has that I had never heard before. He but a great intensity to his singing at key points such as breakdowns where screaming would be common in most metal bands. There were points where his singing was a little nasaly and slightly annoying (note Sidewinder) but the overall power of his voice was remarkable. The lyrics were a lot different compared to the other albums, there was more cursing and less meaning in the lyrics but all the same they are very entertaining and extremely powerful (note the climactic point in "Trashed And Scattered"). Kudos for Shadows for pulling off a metal CD with no screaming. // 10

Overall Impression: The musical talent of Avenged Sevenfold surpasses most artists in their genre and their skills have improved remarkably since "Sound Of The Seventh Trumpet." I am in love with "Bat Country" for its '80s harmony on guitars and vocals as well as "The Wicked End" for its symphony break, bassline, incredible guitar solo, and Shadows vocal range. I would buy this album in a heartbeat if it were stolen and then breat the person who stole it from me with a hose if I were to find them. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold have developed another masterpiece that expands on what Waking The Fallen left off. Almost each song on this album sounds different like the sweet acoustic ending on sidewinder to the Cradle Of Filth sounding middle part of the Wicked End. Synster Gates and Zacky Vengence show off more guitar talent than in Waking The Fallen, there's a solo in each track and the Rev knows how to drum. // 10

Lyrics: Everyone keeps ragging on M. Shaddows for not screaming anymore but he found a way to make his new voice work on this album. His voice does sound nasally but I've heard him live and sings in a more barritone level. The lyrics on this album are straight forward. I think Sidewinder has the stupidest lyrics(it's basically about a snake slowly killing a man) and Betrayed tells Dimebag's killer's view of why he shot him. Seize the Day is a chessy GN'R sounding ballad but is a great sounding song demonstrating M. Shaddow's vocal capabilities and a sweet sounding solo that is the best in my opinon on this album. MIA guess what that one's about, a soilder's anti-war point of view at a war. // 8

Overall Impression: I had waited for this album to come out for months and was not dissapointed. At first I felt Waking the Fallen but after listening to City Of Evil about 25 times now I think this is a better sounding album. Best tracks are Burn It Down, Blinded In The Chains, Strength Of The World with it's western sounding intro leading up to an intense guitar intro, Seize The Day, and MIA with it's recycled, but different sounding intro from And All Things Will End from Waking The Fallen. If it were stolen I'd find the person who stole it and lock him in a room playing Mariah Carey on a loop and then buy this album again. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: First of all City Of Evil has a totally different sound to it than the the two previous A7X albums. Rather than sounding like a medalcore band they now have a more of a GN'R and Metallica (Load and Re-Load albums). This change of sound may leave some fans pissed off and others estatic. Because of throat surgery, singer M. Shadows can no longer scream like he used to, which is kind of a disapointment because he was so good at screaming. If you like the way he sings you'll probbally like the new sound, but if you didn't your out of luck. The guitar playing has been toned down a bit, it's still heavy but not as crazy as ther earlier albums. Also the musicianship in this album is superb. they now have orchestral parts to two of their songs (Strength Of The World and The Wicked End). Zacky and Synester now do beautiful harmonies and their are even some classical parts to some of their songs. For example some songs will start out heavy and slow down to acoustic or orchestral parts. At times this can be cool, other times it can be weird. A7X has gotten drasticly better as musicans. Zacky and Synester now do crazy harmonies! Over all this album is exccelent, some songs do not sound as if they were written by A7X, but it's still all goood. The change of sound is a breath of fresh air from the first two albums. // 10

Lyrics: Lyricly most of ht songs on this album are better and more diversified, rather than just being about death, suicide and lonleness, they range from a story about the city of evil (Beast And The Harlot) to the war Iraq (MIA) for the most part solid lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a breath of fresh air for the band their are so many diferent types of music on this album. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Horvat, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The band take their sound to new levels on City Of Evil, creating a unique blend of hardcore punk mixed with old-style Iron Maiden-like metal. After releasing two previous albums with minor record companies, A7X were signed with Warner for this album, and the change is noticeable, the sound is sharper and clearer, but also their music direction has changed aswell. The songs sound different, less aggressive and more melodic, but the quick pace and techincal guitar and drum solos are still there. Long-time fans may disapprove of the drop in aggresiveness, but I'm sure the major improvement in instrumental skills throughout the songs will still keep them listening. // 10

Lyrics: After being kicked out of Catholic School, you can guess the Avenged Sevenfold boys know a bit about the Bible. The lyrics demonstrate this perfectly, songs are either about the Apocalypse, war, or just feelings of anger/sadness. And they go with the music excellently, the metal sound bringing out the passion in the lyrics. Vocalist M. Shadows shows his full talent by using a wide variety of voice styles (deep, whispered, sung, gravelly), which is one of the main highlights of the album. Sadly, there is no screaming on it at all like their other two albums (vocalist had throat surgery and cannot do it no longer), but the improved lyrics and singing ability of M. Shadows makes up for it. // 8

Overall Impression: The release of City Of Evil has definitely gotten Avenged Sevenfold the recognition they deserve in the metal community. Previously a fairly underground band, the latest album has brought their name into the scene. The album defintely compares to similar bands like Atreyu and Killswitch Engage, and its unique excels them above the rest. Songs to look out for are: Bat Country, Beast And The Harlot, Strength Of The World, and Seize The Day. Each one shows a different side to them, from angry to passionate to loving. The best feature of the CD has to be the great instrumental skills of the band members. Compared to their other albums, and other bands, their skills are massively improved. Listen to the guitar solo on Beast And The Harlot to see what I mean. The worst feature (if there is one), is the fact that there is no screaming. They have been replaced by soft backup vocals, which many metal fans may find to dismay. Otherwise, it is a truly exceptional album for its uniqueness and greatness. If someone stole it I would personally seek them out and "get it back fom them." // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: guitarcaw, on may 01, 2007

Sound: I am a newcomer to A7X and I must say, as someone who primarily listens to shred, I was very impressed with the virtuosity and technical ability of Synster Gates and Zacky Vengence. I love how they mix metal and shred together, it just sounds phenominal. From heavy riffs, shred solos, flamenco playing, acoustic and orchestral breakdowns, A7X have done a great job with this CD. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows is a great vocalist and writer. Each song really tells a certain story and he really knows how to express his thoughts in each song. He really knows how to sing in a way that really complements the song. I am also glad he doens't sing like all of the other singers out today, no growling in the place of vocals, and that sets him apart from everyone else in the heavy music industry. My only complaint about the vocals is the can get a little whiney and nasally which gets pretty annoying at times. // 9

Overall Impression: A7X are in a league of their own. No band today can really match their style, ability, and musicianship. Right now, I love almost every song. The only one I don't like would be Seize The Day. It's not a bad song but I just can't stand listening to it for over two minutes. There are some impressive solos on this album and that is a major plus. Other than the nasally vocals, my only other complaint would be how some of the dark sounding songs have happy sounding parts in them and that gets pretty annoying. If this were stolen, (not likely) I would buy the album again to listen to on the way going to kick the person who stole my CD ass. This is a great album. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Wow, that is all I had to say when I first listened to City Of Evil by Avenged Sevenfold. Every track is totally different and the sound is just fantastic. Both guitarists Zacky Vengence and Synyster Gates are just amazing in their harmonies with each other. Synyster Gates, in my opinion, is the greatest guitarist of my generation. The guitar solos are super catchy and you can hear yourself almost humming them when you've heard them enough. The Rev is great with his double drum basses and snare-like drums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in City of Evil are the best that are out there rite now. Every verse just everything is different. Each song tells a story and you believe it. whether you want to or not. I can't begin to describe how meaningful they are. The lyrics are so amazingly diverse, there is no way you can learn them in less than a month. M. Shadows puts a huge amount of feeling in all of the songs, and he sounds absolutly wonderful. Just amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: City of Evil is the greastest CD that I have ever listened to (and I have listened to many). There is no band out there like these talented guys. They are truly bringing metal/rock back. Each song is greatly different in stlye, meaning, feeling, and texture. Some of the most impressive songs are The Beast And The Harlot, Bat Country, Strength Of The World, and MIA. There is absolutly nothing that I hate about City Of Evil. Another thing that I love is that all the songs are outrageously long, their shortest song is 4:58 while their longest song is 9:14. if anything happened to it, I would, without a doubt, buy it again, ASAP. No other band can or will beat these guys. Avenged Sevenfold is here to stay. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: "i", on may 01, 2007

Sound: The most strinking change in A7X's new record is without a doubt the vocals. All screaming is abandoned, as vocalist M. Shadows and Avenged Sevenfold sever the umbilical cord that once connected them to the notorious Southern California hardcore/metalcore scene. This, in my opinion, was a fine move. However, unfortunately, Shadow's voice has become more nasal and, as a result, less versatile. Rumors tell us that his voice blew before the recording of the album; perhaps a correlation can be made. Aside from this, I'd say that the band has once again improved instrumentally. It's catchy and rhythmic, a rollercoaster ride of up's and downs. Mudrock should be given some credit for producing another great record for this group. // 8

Lyrics: Ok, this is what, to me, really kills the album. Shadow's lyrics, to put it very bluntly, are cliche and shallow. He places the vocals well in the music, but the words themselves fall short of invoking any real emotion or imagery. // 5

Overall Impression: I think that A7X is going in the right direction, for the most part. Those that cry "sellout!" might consider the fact that they are breaking away from the mainstream of metalcore/screamo that permeates modern up-and-coming music with a foul stench, that in all honesty I'm getting pretty tired of. With this they have actually taken a bit of a leap, compromising credibility and even some of their fanbase, as they choose to be progressive and actually go somewhere rather than rot in guttaral monotany. // 8

City Of Evil Reviewed by: punkbass479, on may 01, 2007

Sound: A7X has definetaly cooled off a bit, some of their older stuff is very slayer inspired, while this album is more original. I didn't used to listen 2 these guys, but I heard a couple good reviews and thought I'd pick this 1 up. Excellent guitar solos! I think these guys started a whole new genre "punk-metal": not as 2 separet genres, but as 1. Two things I should say before you read on though: they are not a religious band, for all you retards; these guys are straight outta orange county (not the OC), so whoever sed that west-coast people cant rock, well u were wrong-bigtime. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows does some crazy vocal techniuqe, but who cares about frontmen. From a bassists perspective, most singers are glory-hogs, but not this guy. Z. Vengance and S. Gates are like Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Perry, Van Halen, and Slash all in 1 (or 2). Back to the lyrics. There's definetely a strong theme of Betrayal (such as the song dedicated 2 Dimebag), but also a mild case of just wanting to go do whatever, in a pissed-off way. // 9

Overall Impression: I'd like to compare these guys to system of a down and korn. Sidewinder is an impressive mix of classical guitar and distorted guitar. My one complaint is that there are only 11 tracks on it, but they're long so who cares. I absolutely love this album, get it. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: BDonGraffiti, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The music was awesome, but I noticed that it was kind of repetitive on some songs. Well to check out what they used in this album just go to your windows media player and look up Avenged Sevenfold until you run across an Interview video 4 & 5. All the guitars in this album are dropped D tuning which is also cool. I noticed that most choruses and verses were pretty easy to play (besides solos) which was kind of bad. There's a lot of guitar that sounds complicated only because there's a whole bunch of palm muting in between every single note. And I didn't really enjoy the slow songs. // 7

Lyrics: I enjoyed the lyrics a lot, especially for the song "Burn It Down" which is my favorite. I noticed that there was less screaming which I find fine. And the back up singing isn't bad at all. If you read the lyrics you can find a certain story to each of them. The singing is great, but I hated the little break down part in the middle of Burn It Down (with the palm mutes and string bends) when Shadow starts to go "Yeah!" and he sounds like some over dramatic R&B singer. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't know what other albums I can compare this to, because it's very different. The most impressive songs are numbers 1-4 and #8. I love all the guitar riffs and double bass drums, but I thought the guitars were a little too easy and boring during verses and choruses, I would've liked it better if Syn and Zacky would play different parts during the Choruses and verses for a change (besides harmonizing solos and riffs, I'd have enough of that with Bat Country) I hate that there are so many over-lapping guitar chords and notes. Like during the harmonizing solo of Bat Country there is other guitars playing a rythm part! Just give that part to johnny! This CD is already in my iPod so I wouldn't care if it got stolen. // 8

City Of Evil Reviewed by: bradwell46@hotm, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The music is clearly original metal with a twist. Having two lead guitarists constantly belting out three or more solos a song, this makes this there by far best album. After suffering problems with his vocals, M. Shadows has come back stronger than ever. His vocals allow him to do everything from scream in an emo style, to sing in full harmony to the music, which is what makes this album a must buy for a wide range of people. From listening to this album, it is clear that a lot of inspiration comes from guns and roses, and the vocals match the saem styles as gerard way from my chemical romance. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical context of this album is amzing. From when the album kicks off with "The Beast And The Harlot", the ltrics are twisted, but yet relate to real life situations in the epic classic "Seize The Day." This band is one of the most proffesional and complexed bands I have heard. With all the music thundering in and out of every song, I expected the lyrics to be very basic. How wrong was I. The lyrics are really complexed, and the vocal talent of M. Shadows proves that this band is back, and they meen it. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is not only the best album of the four they have released, but one of the best albums in the class of metal music. After listeing to the album numerous times, I have to say there are three songs that I prefer out of them all, which are: Seize The Day, Beast And The Harlot and Bat Country. I love the way every song fits together, and really works well. The straing vocals of M. Shadows do get a bit draining after a while, but it's barable if you have a passoin for them like I do. I would definetly buy this album again if I lost it. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Webercharge, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's major-label debut City Of Evil marks the return of the classic metal sound that has been out of the rock scene spotlight for quite some time, with nu-metal and alternative bands dominating the mainstream media for almost a decade. With album opener Beast And The Harlot, Avenged Sevenfold kicks off the first of eleven songs which are all rooted in clear influences from Iron Maiden to Megadeth. Back on the table is guitar harmonies and shredding guitar solo's. As a result, City Of Evil is melodic metal at its very best, with each band member being very skilled musicians, as well. Something that isn't an everyday experience these days. Avenged Sevenfold shows again what bands like Iron Maiden proved many years ago; it doesn't take depressive lyrics or extremely down-tuned guitars to enjoy metal. As the case is with any other music genre, it basically takes a strong melody and delivering the song with an energetic feel to make metal creative and worth listening to. On City Of Evil every single one of the eleven tracks have that force. From Beast And The Harlot over the hit single Bat Country with a phenomenal chorus to the progressive elements on Strength Of The World and MIA. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on City Of Evil is remarkably sung by vocalist Matt Shadows. Instead of many of his contemporaries, he gives up the somewhat modern screaming and constant growling in favour of actual singing. He has the perfect rock voice to do so, too. A mix of Bruce Dickinson's and maybe Phil Anselmo's voice. However, he has really got a good enough voice, to call it his own style. The lyrical content is not depressive. It has more of a angry-love-gone-wrong-attitude. The songs are also about fantasy, and holding up against whoever tries tearing you down. There is also a tribute to the late metal-god Dimebag Darrell on Betrayal which fits in nicely on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: If Avenged Sevenfold can continue to do what they're already doing so well, then all fans of metal and the good melody around the world will get convinced of the band's quality, eventually. City Of Evil is arguably the most important metal album of 2005, because it sees the metal heritage rise to the surface once more to prove a point. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: nothingface187, on may 01, 2007

Sound: My first impression on this album was what the hell! I heard a lot good reviews about this CD and decided to give it a listen. I must say that it was overhyped. And I also heard a lot of bad reviews about it. But hey I'm an open minded and decided to give it a listen. It was a mixed feeling, I was in Awe as listened to guitars on this album. The guitars are pure gold, I couldn't believe some guitar solos, it was awesome. Also the Drums were just amazing, again pure gold. With a good things come the bad, the vocals were so-so, sometimes his voice comes off as winey, sometimes it sounded good. I was a bit disappointed that there was no screaming on this album, but hey they made it up with the guitars and drums. // 8

Lyrics: I didn't get to read the lyrics and basically couldn't understand it because as I said before M. Shadows voice is very winey and sometimes annoyed the hell out of me. It reminded me of the guitarist of System Of A Down which sucked. I was a bit dissapointed by the sound of the vocalist. But they made it up with the guitars and drums. // 7

Overall Impression: My reaction was mixed, it's like meeting a beautiful girl with a nasty "grill." I thought the drums and guitars were bloody amazing, but the vocals is a bit annoying at times. Which for me is hard to overlook because I'm a voclist myself. But overall a good album. // 7

City Of Evil Reviewed by: SLIP(SIC)KNOT, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's old stuff is full of screams, great heavy riffs, and face-melting solos, so when they came out with City Of Evil, when I went to buy it, that is exactly what I expected it to be. I never once imagined it would be the great melodic CD that it is. After I listened to it once through, I fell in love with it. I was an avid Avenged Sevenfold addict before, and I never thought I could like them any more, but this CD gave me a new respect for them. Every one of their songs has impossibly hard, great guitar riffs, and the singing is great. It starts with Beast And The Harlot. This song is alright, but can get boring after a while. Burn it Down is possibly the greatest song on the CD. I love how it can go from such a heavy bridge to such a melodic ending. Blinded In Chains is one of the heaviest songs on the album, and it is definately awesome. Bat Country is great up until the end. the end kinda made me cringe. for such a great song, I think they could have come up with a better ending but I still like it. Trashed And Scattered is a great example of the great guitar players they have. it has some great riffs. Seize The Day is the acoustic hit on this album. I really like it. I know some people that are just like "ugh it sux what a waste of a track" but I think it's awesome. Sidewinder is probly my 3rd fav song on the CD. I just really like the guitar playing and singing in this song. The Wicked End is great. I love how they could throw a choir and string section orchestra into this song its sooo good. Strength Of The World is an OK song. It takes a while to get to the point. Betrayed has some great guitar playing. I have to say its tied for 2nd fav on the CD. I love the vocals. And Finally, MIA. MIA has some really good acoustic and clasical guitars on it. Its a really interesting song to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. If you read them and listen really closely to them, there is really a lot of biblical influence. for example: in "Beast And The Harlot" when it says "And there sat a sevenheaded beast, ten horns rose from its head" that's straight out of Revelation In The Bible. The lyrics really went well with the music, and M. Shadows really demonstrates his singing ability in this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. This is there best album yet. I love everything about it. The most impressive songs in order are probly Burn It Down, Betrayed, Trashed And Scattered, Bat Country, Sidewinder, The Wicked End. If this were stolen, I would buy 2 more, just so if it got stolen again, I'd have another one. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Ka$h, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This new Avenged Sevenfold CD City Of Evil is great. What really got me hooked is the guitar solos and their parts. Not a while ago I heard it on MTV (not TRL) the song Bat Country which when I heard I was blown away by the guitar solo by Synyster Gates lead guitarist. I'm not sure about this genre I hear it's hardcore metal I don't know forsure but this sounds album is awesome! // 10

Lyrics: Well the lyrics somewhat have to do with the verse in Genesis. Genesis 4:15 says "But the Lord sais to him/Therefore whosoever slayest Cain/Vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold." Well the band's name comes from it but most of their lyrics are on that story mostly in the book of Genesis. Some of the lyrics are pointless and hard to understand I'd say myself but still the lead vocalist M. Shadows makes them sound good! // 9

Overall Impression: This album I'm not sure who to compare it to I listen to a lot of punk rock (Blink 182, Sum 41, Green Day) and on the other side I'm a ginat, rap, hip-hop r'n'b fan. But this album inspired me to get a guitar and learn some stuff for myself and I'm thankful for that. Some impressive songs are Bat Country, Beast And The Harlot, Sidewinder (listen to the end, it's the best ever), MIA, well all the songs are awesome these just stick out. I don't hate this album in any way it's awesome like I have said before. If this were stolen heck yes I'd go out and buy another more support for my favorite band. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: tony_vengeance, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This band is rad! They have a perfect sound that really can't be matched by anyone today. Not only do they have killer dual lead guitars. Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance are easily perfectionists of dual lead. They have some other things such as a boys choir, an orchestra, and a piano in some songs. The songs are long and have distinct sounds. It's my idea of perfection! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are spot on with the music going on behind it. They cover topics such as war, betrayal, kickin' ass, the fall of Babylon, and politics. Shadows had to have surgery on his vocal chords, so he doesn't scream anymore. I think Waking the Fallen had perfect vocals, this album does too, but in a different way. He now sounds more like Axl Rose. Their singing evolves with their music, so it's still rad. // 10

Overall Impression: It pretty much kicks every other album in the nuts. Twice! Some of the best songs on the album are: "The Beast And The Harlot," "Burn It Down," and "Betrayed." They are a notch above the rest. This album is perfect, no flaws. If somebody stole it, I'd kick the living shit out of them, suffocate them, bring them back to life, kick 'em in the nuts, then stab 'em, and let them bleed to death. Then I'd buy a new one because that one probably would have blood on it! // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: ashes-shadow, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The CD itself is very instperiational. M. Shadows' voice in this albm is very soft compared to the other ones. The guitarists Synyster Gates and Zakky Vengeance have some wicked awesome guitars going there. The story behind the music would be that I started listining to them because of there one song "Bat Country" and my brother never liked them until I told him who they were and what they played. The music style is a heavy metal combined with a punk rock themes. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are beautiful. They are very inspiring to poetry. They have a current mus to them that know could come up with. The lyrics and the intrments combined. M. Shadows' singing skills are really exetant he screams but he has a great voice besides that. // 10

Overall Impression: I would compare Avenged to Black Label Society and even to Rob Zombie. They really seemed to know what they are doing. The song that impresses me is MIA that's because it's mellow but hardcore at the same time. I love the most out the albm is that they can do anything and sound good. I am not if I hated anything about this album. I would buy this CD again if it got lost. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: After the last two CD's this one deffinently changes the flow of their music, where in my case, for the better. Some of their songs are just unpredictable. One minute they will be playing some heavy-grungy sound then go to a soft ballad-like sound. After M. Shadows had a surgery he couldn't screem like he used to. This makes the CD way better. Don't get me wrong I thought they had some amazing stuff on "Waking The Fallen" CD like "Unholy Confessions." Still Synyster Gates and Zachy Vengance are by far the best pair of guitarist. They play amazing dual solos on "City Of Evil." They are my idols. They should make the cover of any guitar magizine. Iv'e tried playing some of their stuff and it is tough! The guitar work is genius with random riffs put in with the rythem guitar and face melting solos that never get old. Buy this album! // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows always make great lyrics to go along with the songs. They cover everything on this album. A song with some great lyrics is "Beast And The Harlot." Some lyrics are depressing some aren't. M. Shadows makes all of his songs kind of like cool little stories. The only part I don't like is that some lyrics can be deep and depressing. // 9

Overall Impression: The best thing about these guys is how well they are not being sucked into those sound-a-like mainstreem bands that all have whinny crappy voices that don't have any effort put into their songs. If I lost this CD I would definently buy it again. This album has got it all, great lyrics, amazing guitar riffs, and fantastic drumming. Buy this album! // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Sum41DudeRob, on may 01, 2007

Sound: My first thoughts were like "Can't wait to listen to this!" and I put it on and bam! It hit me like a ton of bricks. This album by Avenged Sevenfold has to be one of the greatest albums of 2005. They're sound is a little different on this one. Sounds more like Guns N' Roses/Iron Maiden unlike their last couple which had more of a Bad Religion sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics really fit the songs well and some of the subject matter. For example MIA (track 11) is about the war in Iraq which was probably a dead give away. Although M. Shadows blew out his vocals and lost the screamo thing and worked with Axl Rose's voice coach to get his voice back they sounded a bit nasally but overall still pretty awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: I say this album compares to Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All. Although some others will probably compare it to Master of Puppets but its more like Ride the Lightning with some biblical references (IE. on Ride The Lightning you have Creeping Death and on City Of Evil you have The Wicked End). Some of the best songs include Beast And The Harlot, Burn It Down, Bat Country, Trashed And Scattered, Seize The Day, Sidewinder, MIA, Betrayed. I'd definatley buy this again if it got lost or stolen. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold has always been a truly amazing metal band with mind bending guitar solos, extremely fast and rythmic double bass and drum beats, and emotional and meaningful lyrics. City Of Evil takes all the power of Waking The Fallen and doubles it. Also the bass guitar is very noticeable. City Of Evil takes metal to an all new level. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows has always written songs that would move even the most high strung person rock out and the most angry person cry. Also before City Of Evil M. Shadows had throat surgury that had done with his constant screams. It also made his singing better as now there are no more screams and lyrical Axl Rose like singing. M. Shadows fails to dissapoint! // 10

Overall Impression: All the band members did extremely well on City Of Evil. The drums, guitar, lyrics, and bass are awesome. Avenged Sevenfold has always been my favorite metal band, and City Of Evil made me like them even more. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album I think is incredible. They really sort of changed it up a little bit. It sounds more classical and at the same still way heavy metal. And who can forget all the new 2 guitar harmonizing solos? Those are insanely awesome. Like on Bat country and burn it down and the wicked end. Absolutley amazing. And the insane-o arpeggiatic part in the "Wicked End" solo? That's some of the best I've heard besides like Yngwie Malmsteen. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well hmm, I can't really understand what he's saying, but I really like how the singer sounds. He has a good range, and he still has that distortion to it. I really like vocal "solo" on "Burn It Down." The lyrics though, I dont really get but whatever the singer is awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I think that this is their best album so far. I know some will dissagree, but this is an awesome album, and its the most "advanced" album they've done. They're all very very talented musicians. Way to go Avenged Sevenfold. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Razorhead, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil is a very polished sounding album. In some ways I must admit that it sounds a little too polished to me. However, I must admit, despite the clean sound of the record, the music is quite innovative and unique. Avenged Sevenfold emulate their obvious influences like Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, and other such metal bands, while not completely ripping them off. They also include some very interesting twists in their structurally complex compositions, such as the acoustic outro of "Sidewinder" complete with a flamenco solo and everything, and the middle section of "The Wicked End," which features a choir and epic orchestral arrangements. "Strength Of The World" starts out with an acoustic guitar, then a violin joins in and some cool sound effects make it sound like its intro would belong right at home in a spaghetti western film. The sound is considerably different than that on Waking The Fallen, as City Of Evil features essentially no screaming, more guitar solos, and more songs of epic proportions. Zacky Vengeance and Synyster Gates have got to be two of the most impressive guitarists I have ever heard. Their solos, riffs, and overall sound are just mind-blowing, and help give the album it's sort of classic metal type of sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of City Of Evil honestly aren't brilliant, but there are a few songs on which M. Shadows' abilities as a lyricist shine, such as "Seize The Day" (the ballad of the album, essentially), and the lead single "Bat Country." But what he lacks in lyrics (although the lyrics on Waking The Fallen were all quite impressive, so don't judge his skills just by this album), Shadows makes up for in vocal power. Sure, his vocals are more melodic and less cathartic and intense on City of Evil than on Avenged Sevenfold's previous efforts, the sound of his voice is still great, if a little annoying occasionally (the outro of "MIA," for example), and sound perfect with the music itself. The only major complaint I have about the nature of the singing on the album is the way they quite obviously did the vocals in seperate takes (as in a lot of the time Shadows' vocals overlap each other or in certain songs there is absolutely no breathing room for long periods of singing time), which could make them sound different live (probably just less holding of notes). // 8

Overall Impression: There is one word to describe City Of Evil: epic. Everything about this album is epic; the song lengths are huge (which brings to mind Metallica), structures are extrememly complex, guitar solos sound absolutely brilliant, not to mention most of them being very fast and containing parts in which Synyster and Zacky both play. These are just a few of the more epic things about the album. Now, after all this praise, I must say that City of Evil is definetely not perfect. There are a couple of songs that I don't completely love, being "Burn It Down" and "Blinded In Chains," which I basically consider the throwaway tracks of the album. However, despite these two songs being not all that great, Avenged Sevenfold makes up for it with all the other songs on the record. There are a few songs on the album that seem almost too good too be true, being "Strength Of The World," "Seize The Day," "MIA," and "Sidewinder." All feature ridiculously cool guitar parts (especially the solos, and, to further narrow it down, especially "Sidewinder"'s flamenco outro solo) along with vocals that sound melodic and intense at the same time. I would think that Avenged Sevenfold will probably release "Seize The Day" as a single, being that it is the ballad of the album, not to mention it is incredibly catchy, and people who aren't big fans of the band will probably like it. Anyways, essentially City Of Evil is a great metal album. I don't really understand why people are calling this album metalcore or emo, which some of Avenged Sevenfold's older stuff resembled (well, ok, their previous albums were metalcore, with element of screamo incorporated), because it is about as straight forward hands down heavy metal as you can get. Anyways, I prefer their older music style, but I am definetely fond of their more recent sound as well. Essentially, Avenged Sevenfold is a brilliantly talented band and I think City Of Evil is just the beginning of what the have to show the world. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: metalhead11551, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This is a good album in other words I'm impressed. The vocals are great their singer has an incredibly wide range voice. The guitar work was awesome too, they do a cool thing with the harmonization. The drumming was awesome, fast to! Can't say anything about the bass because I don't know shit about bass. // 10

Lyrics: Great vocals as I said before the singer has a huge range. Check out the song M.I.A. he has some high and some low parts in that song. The words are just wow. Yet again look at M.I.A. when the lyrics "I shot a mother right in front of her son" come on a song you know these guys mean buisness. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't know about anyone else, but I think this album is better than Waking The Fallen and Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, both are good albums to though. The most impressive song for vocals I think is M.I.A. The most impressive song for guitar I think is Burn It Down. The most impressive song for drums I think is Blinded In Chains. If it were lost or stolen I'd kick the guy's ass who stole it, get it back, and go buy it again just for the hell of it. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: einar, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged sevenfold are the band everyone slags off and insults, I don't think many could insult after listening to this album, with it's deadly guitar riffs and brilliant guitar combination & guitar and bass combination, as well as some well timed and varied drumming, city of evil should really silence their critics. It may only have 11 songs but it is not a short album by any means, each song counting nearly five minutes at least. Packed with plenty of guitar solos, 1 in virtually every song. The playing style has changed slightly from previous albums but I think it has paid off. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics combine with the music very well and in some songs the guitar mimics the vocals perfectly, some may compare the vocals to that of faith no more. Shadows singing skills seem to have improve from previous albums and the rythm goes well with the music. However the vocal look like they would be hard to play live and recordings would have to be put in on some songs. // 8

Overall Impression: This album competes with the best of them. The most impressive songs for me are bat country, trashed and scattered and MIA which is slow to get into but turns into a great song. If all my CD's were stolen, this would be the first I would replace, and I have a lot of CD's. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: alienboy18241, on may 01, 2007

Sound: I have many great albums, from Guns N' Roses to the Metallica Black CD, and this is easily the greatest album of all time. Def. not for add people, shortest song 5 minutes long. This CD mixes unbelievalbe solos with intense power chords. Everything from high speed distortion to acoustic. Go buy this CD no matter what the cost is. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are strong and meaningful. They deny any hints of religion in their song, but you can find biblical references in everyone, making this album more than just hard punk metal. M. Shadows fits the lyrics in with the guitar sounds perfectly, and is an amazing singer. // 10

Overall Impression: As for every song being great, I would compare this to the Black CD (Metallica) and is def. worth buying. My personal favorite song is strength of the world, even with over 9 minutes of playing time. Most in your face song is still Beast And The Harlot. If you don't have this album yet, your missing out on a lot, go get it! // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: PalmMuted, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's sound is un-believable in my own opinion. There aren't that many bands that can pull off an album so fully packed with great songs and screeching guitar riffs made by Zacky and Synyster. It's so amazing how creative this band can be with their music, from clever licks from Zacky and Synster, to The Rev's beats on the drums. As soon as you hear The Beast and The Harlot you know its an Avenged Sevenfold record. Although different from less screaming due to M. Shadow's surgery. The A7X is still there. You can also pickout the influences throughout this packed CD. Such as the heavy power chords from The Misfits and the crazy solos from Guns N' Roses. This is a power-packed album. // 10

Lyrics: Although I am a huge Avenged Sevenfold fan, I am not that very fond of M. Shadow's overall singing skills. But his singing skills somehow blend in with the different styles of music contributed into this album. Even throughout the album M. Shadow's lets out some of his influences like in the song Trashed & Scattered, you can hear him pulling off his Axl Rose singing. But he still shows his softer side of his voice such as in Seize The Day. I love the lyrics though, unlike some bands with the same old rubbage they repeat every song. M. Shadow's tells a story with his lyrics that he preachs. // 9

Overall Impression: With my overall impression of this album, I think it is a great follow up to Waking The Fallen. The songs are heavy and sometimes catchy and wants to make you listen more and more. Some songs that really impressed me on this album were: "The Beast And The Harlot", "Burn It Down", "Bat Country", "The Wicked End" and "M.I.A.". There is something about the guitar riffs and solos in this album that makes me as soon as I hear it pick up a guitar and play along with it. If this album was stolen or lost I would buy it again for sure. This album is a complete masterpiece! // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: shhaannt, on may 01, 2007

Sound: I didn't like avenged sevenfold's sound on this album. I know that Avenged Sevenfold tried to write this album on the road so that must have been a factor of the album's sound, they also switched record lables, so that's probably another reason why they have a diffrent sound. I can tell that they went in a more melodic direction, on Zacky and Synyster's part(guitars). They've personaly gotten worse overall, other then the fact that the guitars kind of improved, because they have more solos now. // 6

Lyrics: the lyrics seem darker then their last album (Waken The Fallen). for example the song "The Wicked End" is all about armagedon and wen jesus is coming back for judgment day. their getting too dark for their genre. they should stick 2 love problems and cutting. I hate that they don't scream any more, their sellouts, just because their new record company told them to stop screaming they did! M.Shadow is a great singer but this album kills it for him! // 7

Overall Impression: No this album doesn't compare to any other album they have released, or any other album I've ever heard. the ONLY songs I like are the "Wiked End", "Bat Country", and "Strength Of The World." I like the guitar techniques they use on this album, with the arpegios, to sweeps, to the tremelo picking, and great solos. but I don't like the fact that they don't scream anymore! I wouldn't replace this album if it were stolen or lost, I have better Avenged Sevenfold albums (Waking The Fallen, and Sounding The Seventh Trumpet) . // 5

City Of Evil Reviewed by: AvengedZeppelin, on may 01, 2007

Sound: When I first heard Bat Country, I knew I liked Avenged Sevenfold, and got City of Evil. I listened, and I was completely blown away. The ultra-fast solos and hypnotizing main riffs are so catchy that I have listened to the whole album nonstop many times. The album has a type of song for everyone, including slower rock songs like Sieze the Day. It is obvious that Zacky and Synister's skill went through the roof since Waking the Fallen. In the new album, Zacky plays much harder rhythm parts that are actually heard. In Unholy Confessions, on Waking the Fallen, Zacky just plays harmony parts to Synister's parts most of the time. Synister has gotten exponentially better at solos, and crafts his leads well. The Rev has blazing drum parts that are unforgettable and go perfectly with every single song. Jhonny Christ is breaking the Green-Day type mold that says bass parts are easier to play, and the same as the guitar parts. This thought is destroyed with songs like The Wicked End, where the bass part is harder to play than the guitar part. Overall, the actual sound of the guitars, bass, and drums is so much better than the previous albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are perfect in this album. At times, they can be sad, angry, or, rarely, joyful. The lyrics are a huge improvement over the other albums. Shadows really didn't have a choice to stop scraming because he had surgery on his vocal cords, and can't scream to the extent of the other albums. The lyrics are straight from the bible in Beast and the Harlot, and it comes from chapters 18 and 19 of Revelations. There isn't a bible here as I write this, so find it yourself, I know it's there. Chapter 4 of Genesis says that if anyone killed Cain, he would be avenged sevenfold, which is obviously where the name of the band comes from, so the band is not a stranger to taking lyrics from the bible. All the lyrics are well thought out, and if you listen to them closely, some of them include Matt Sanders's whole family dying, not just Strength of the World. If the singing style hadn't changed, I would not have bought the CD. // 10

Overall Impression: The songs Beast and The Harlot and Bat country have the best solos on the album, and Burn it Down, and Blinded in Chains have the best presentation. Trashed and scattered has a darker mood, with matching lyrics. Sieze thhe Day has overtones of death, and comes through as a lighter song, but the music video brings it back as an A7X song, with the solo on the coffin. Sidewinder and The Wicked End are the most different songs, but both are good nonetheless. Strength of the World is about Shadows's family dying, and his lyrics say, "I've seen my family fade away, you've taken my whole life, there's nothing left to say" during the bridge. Betrayed is a great song in memory of Dimebag Darrell, and is a song of such quality that it may become one of the greatest ever, just because of how addicting the main riff is. MIA is about the war in Iraq, and that's all that is needed to be said. Every song is impressive, and this is one of the few that you can buy just because you like one song, since if you like one, you'll like them all, and there is nothing to hate. If you only liked A7X for the screaming of the previous albums, you really aren't a fan of Avenged Sevenfold, you're just a fan of the genre. If you haven't heard of Waking the Fallen yet, listen to some of the tracks there, and without the screaming, this album sounds so much better. Argue all you want, but A7X is the best band that is still playing today. If my copy of City of Evil was stolen, I honestly would file a police report, buy three more copies, put one in a safe, one in a security deposit box in a bank, and use the other. Yeah. They're that good. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: ShrimpthePimp, on may 01, 2007

Sound: This album is very different from their previous album, Waking the Fallen. Their singer, M. Shadow, no longer screams like he did in like every song on WTF (Waking The Fallen). The guitar work on City of Evil is really awesome, like the song M.I.A for example. The dual guitar solo's are a thing of beauty, like the song Bat Country. The guitar work just flows throughout every song. "Sidewinder" really shows off their talent, and they end it with a amazing acoustic solo, and I personally wish they would have kept going with it. "The Wicked End" is another amazing song, with a orchestra part coming in around the middle of the song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics hit in to the songs nicely. The song "Beast And The Harlot" is taken from the Bible, in the book of Revelations, "Blinded In Chains" shows the bands view of war, and "Seize The Day" is a emotionally packed song. "Betrayed" is a song dedicated to Dimebag (R.I.P), and "M.I.A" sort of takes inside the mind of a soldier in the war. M. Shadows voice has certainly changed since Waking the Fallen, but they are still great. // 10

Overall Impression: This band has definitely changed since their last two albums, and according to them, they're going to change with again for their 4th album. The songs that stick out the most when I hear this are a bunch; The Wicked End, Sidewinder, M.I.A, and Betrayed. But, I still love all the other songs on the album. Avenged Sevenfold are a bunch of young talented people. If this was ever stolen, I would definitely buy it again, after I hunt down the creep that took it at least. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: PunkRocka182, on may 01, 2007

Sound: The album starts off with a theatrical sounding guitar lick, the intro to "Beast And The Harlot" which is one of the best tracks on the album. This A7X album is different to there previous albums because there is little screaming, where as on the othere's there are. The main thing about this album is the guitar solos, they are awesome! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very good, some of the best being in the final song of the album M.I.A ("Walk the city lonely, memories that haunt are passing by, A murderer walks your streets tonight, Forgive me for my crimes"). The singer, M Shadows has a distinctive voice, but he had to give up screaming for this album as it was doing damage to his vocal chords. // 10

Overall Impression: A few of the most impressive tracks from this album are "Beast and the Harlot," "Bat Country" (has amazing guitar work on it), "Sidewinder" (has spanish guitar solo at the end), "Seize the Day" and "M.I.A". I love this album for it's guitar solos and lyrics, however the tracks are very long. If this album was stole the would be only 1 thing I could do, hunt down the dude who stole it and steal it back! // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: deathbat411, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold has dropped screaming cold turkey. After M. Shadows's vocal surgery, he does not scream any more. But that is not neccessiraly a bad thing. Now that the screaming is gone Synester and Zacky needed to imrove their guitar now that it is hearable. With M. Shadows's clean, powerful voice, Synester Gate's and Zacky Vengeance's dueling harmonies and demonic riffs, Johnny Christ's low sounding bass breakdowns, and last but not least the Rev's insane feet and hands pounding away at the drums Avenged Sevenfolds new sound is nothing to complain about. // 9

Lyrics: Since M. Shadows has stopped screaming entirely he gives Avenged Sevenfold a more powerful sound. About the lyrics themselves, what can you say, the members of Avenged Sevenfold were kicked out of bible school. The opening song is about the fallen city of Babylon, and the following songs are about topics that range from wars, to just "piss off" songs, to songs about family members being killed, songs about life, songs about the end of the world, and a song about traveling through "Bat Country". // 10

Overall Impression: City of Evil, in my opinion, is just as good as Waking the Fallen, and better than Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. I didn't mind the screaming in previous albums, but I also don't care if there is no screaming. I love the improved guitar work and the harmonized solos. A lot of the riffs are cool. As a bassist, I love the bass breakdowns in song such as "Blinded In Chains" and "Trashed And Scattered". I like all the songs on the album and this is one of the few albums that I can sit down, and listen to it all the way through. But, if I had to choose my favorites they would be: Beast And The Harlot, Trashed And Scattered, Seize The Day, The Wicked End, and M.I.A. If some one stole this album I'd buy a new one. (I getting sick of hearing what peeople would "do" to people if they stole it). Whatevs, just go buy this one. Period. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: A7Xrockguitar, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold has created a new and very different sound in City Of Evil. Their vocalist M. Shadows has one of the most unique voices in the rock music industry. The guitarists Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance create great harmonized guitar riffs and solos that really show their skill and range. From driving rythims to great acoustic and great solos their guitarists do it all in this album. Last I would like to say they've got one of the best drummers filling out the songs with lightning fast rythims. // 10

Lyrics: Overall the lyrics in their music lack depth. I like it but the fact is it's not deep. Some of the song lyrics are really good but not all of them. They do have one exception to this which is Seize the Day, this song has great lyrics and it's really deep. Though most of the lyrics aren't great their singer is still amazing giving the bands music an added unique sound. I like deep music but sometimes some hard driving dark music is good too. // 7

Overall Impression: Avenged Sevenfold doesn't compare to any other artists they are unique. The most impressive songs to me are Strength of the World, Seize the Day, M.I.A., and Betrayed. This album is new and unique. Try if you want something new. If it were lost or stolen I would do whatever I could to replace it. // 8

City Of Evil Reviewed by: csn00b, on may 01, 2007

Sound: Compared to there older albums, City of Evil is a more mature album, it has many different sounds in it. There are some heavier parts such as bat country, betrayed, blinded in chains. And there are also some softer songs i.e. Seize The Day, M.I.A. Some of there songs even change from heavy screaming and loud guitars to quieter sounding parts, like Sidewinder and Strength of the World. In the song The Wicked End they even use a string orchestra. Syn even said himself that he has difficulty playing the songs live because he worked so hard in studio. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics can be rather emo at times (seize the day) but they still have meaning, every song off City of Evil has some sort of meaning. M.I.A. and blinded in chains are about wars (this is not an anti-war album or anti-war song it's just what it's about). the lyrics fit in very well with the music with a few odd times where I'dve removed or added vocals and/or changed the lyrics. M.Shadows' vocals have not been the same since he had the surgery. Compared to waking the fallen this was a terrible vocal performance by him. If your not a huge fan of the screaming he did in the old albums however, I recommend you give this one a listen, he rarely screams in anymore. // 7

Overall Impression: Out of the 3 albums released, I'd say this is the 2nd best one. The drummin g is much better on CoE then any other album and the there is even two little bass solos that add to the greaqtness of this album. If your not sure wether you like the album, check out the songs M.I.A. Bat Country and Trashed And Scattered. They are the best 3 on the album in my opinion. // 7

City Of Evil Reviewed by: franciscanavan, on may 21, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold are a Heavy Metal band hailing from the OC California. The band had released two albums with Hopeless records before releasing this, their major label debut City Of Evil on Warner. Combining the sonic guitar assault of Iron Maiden with the frenetic pace of Bad Religion and the musicianship of Dream Theatre, City Of Evil bursts with displays of Synyster Gates & Zacky V's virtuoso guitar playing. From the intricate tempo changes of Burn It Down to the spaghetti western intro of Strength Of The World and the riotous Bat Country the album has now sold well over 800,000 copies worldwide. Singer M. Shadows has completely changed his style of singing making the A7X sound more of a classic rock sound than that of the metalcore sound shown on the previous two albums. And both drummer The Rev & bassist Johnny Christ have also upped their game making A7X one of the most thrilling heavy metal bands on the guitar at the moment. A7X combine the looks of Motley Crue, the song's of Guns N Roses and the skills of Yngwie Malmsteen. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics range throughout the record ranging from talking about the war in Iraq to Dimebag Darrells death. The lyrics are written with such maturity you would be fooled into thinking Avenged had been around for much longer then they have. Singer M. Shadows has had minor sugery on a burst blood vessell in his throat but with the help of Axl Roses old vocal coach his voice has been changed into a more melodic version of Axl Rose. Vocally M.Shadows is very talented at what he does and is also a superb lyricist. // 10

Overall Impression: Avenged Sevenfold have a sound that is different than their piers in bands such as Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium. Where they have more of a thrash sound Avenged have opted for a more classic sound combining their influences of bands like Pantera, Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses to create and all more fearsome sound. 01. Beast And The Harlot - the opening track on the album has a riff that is similar to that of Pantera and the solo is on par with that of Slash. 02. Burn It Down - a song with many tempo changes combining several arpeggio section with straightforward drop D mosh riffs. 03. Blinded In Chains - the most political song on the album with great dual guitar work and an awesome chorus. 04. Bat Country - again a song with a great chorus. The solo is probably the best on the album and one of the Synyster Gates has ever done. The single of the album. 05. Trashed And Scattered - great guitar work on this track aswell and wonderful lyrics. 06. Seize The Day - the soft song of the album with a good message. Another good solo from Synyster Gates. 07. Sidewinder - a great song with an infectious chorus, a winding melody and a flamenco guitar solo. 08. The Wicked End - this song starts out heavily and after another wonderful solo goes into an inspired classical part. One of my favourites. 09. Strength Of The World - this song is a slow starter but around the 1.20 mark goes into a great riff and what follows is something from another world. Great lyrics, wonderful guitar work & solo. 10. Betrayed - if their had to be a weak point on the album this song is it. After the riff at the beginning my interest seemed to waver and I found myself skipping this track after 4 minutes. 11. M.I.A - this is how you end an album. Infectious chorus with dual guitars almost all the way through. And the solo is an amzing way to cement your name into rock stardom. Amazing. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: sykguitaryst, on may 25, 2007

Sound: This is the first CD I heard by A7X. amazing instrumental work, the singing isn't as good as on Waking The Fallen but it's still pretty damn kickass, he does what he can, and it never seems like the musics out of place. They seem more together on this one. 01. Beast And The Harlot - asmazing opening, good lyrics, amazing solo, this intros got it all (I'd say). Definitely a favorite. 02. Burn It Down - the intro to this song kicks your ass and never stops after that, great song to follow "Beast." 03. Blinded In Chains - yet another amazing intro, though the song starts to slow up after that, but still, pretty good song. 04. Bat Country - awesome. from beginning to end, a great song. everyone does their part well. second favorite on this disk. 05. Trashed & Scattered - good intro, awesome verses, great bridges. the rest of it falls flat in my opinion though. 06. Seize The Day - great mellow song, it's not one of my favorites though.. 07. Sidewinder - this is my favorite song on the CD, cool lyrics, great guitar work, alright drumming, nice bass, awesome acoustic work, best solos, I just love this song because nice and long and everything fits into place. 08. The Wicked End - this song is crazy, definitely one of my favorites, awesome lyrics, great intro, nicely synced guitars, wicked solos and great transitions throughout. 09. Strength Of The World - awesome intro, lyrics are well spoken, everyone puts their talent to use on this song. 10. Betrayed - this is one of my favorites too, great intro, into a mellow section after he sings the first part, good song. 11. M.I.A - when this song comes on, it's awesome, the lyrics are amazing, and song very well, up until the end where he does this dumb sounding part. Sorry it's true. Awesome instruments all the way through, this is like my third favorite. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics and the music fit so well, and the singing is pretty awesome pretty much throughout, the lyrics are good but I wanna hear more solid lyrics on the next album. The backing singing is kinda mediocre, in some songs like sidewinder and missing in action it's good, but on betrayed they sound kinda played out. But the singing is more good than bad. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this is an awesome album, can't wait for the next one. The songs that stand out to me are Sidewinder, Bat Country, Beast And The Harlot, and Missing In Action. This is one of my favorite albums altogether. If it was stolen from me, I will probably go to jail for violence; and I will buy it again when I come out of jail. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2007

Sound: As a first I've been an Avenged Sevenfold fan for a while now and enjoy all of their songs, covers 'n' all. I'm not the one who generally goes for the "metal" scene but from listening to them I've been more appreciative of different bands and has improved my own styles of playing. "City Of Evil" has certainly shown a lot more maturity and style difference from Avenged Sevenfold's older albums like "Sounding Of The Seventh Trumpet" (a personal favourite album of mine). Even though M Shadows voice has been tempered with, he still proves Avenged Sevenfold have that hardcore metal sound about them. I was very impressed with the track "Sidewinder" as they have been able to mix sound effects, different styles of music and their own "personal" touches to it. It certainly proves they aren't just about fast bass drum patterns and ripping solos and loud bass lines. Good Move. I hope for their next album they will be able to accomplish more stunning sounds like they have done with "City Of Evil", but not totally the same. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics. The finishing touch to a perfect song. It's far from the easiest thing that an artist has to perfect. As far as I can hear and read Sevenfold have done an incredible job with the. Warning: They easily get stuck in your head! Never in my msn name have there not been Avenged Sevenfold lyrics. Some of the punchiest lines like "I'll make a beast out of myself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Or "Sometimes I cry because my future looks so bleak." The great thing through out this album is the relationship between the vocals and melody, a lot of bands can't do this well enough and end up sounding rubbish. M Shadows, Zacky Vengeance and Synister Gates are an incredible team. No matter what they always impress me with their talent to interweive with each other. Unfortunatly for screaming Sevenfold fans, this album won't impress so much, M Shadows does not scream every last syllibol as he will eventually lose it. But to make up for the loss of the screaminess he brings in a more destinctive, powerful voice which expresses the transition of going from a strictly screaming metal band to a legendary versitile metal band. Well done M! // 10

Overall Impression: "City Of Evil" doesn't sit with my collection of my other albums even my old favourite band The Offspring! The most impressive song on the album, personally, is Strength of the world. I think Avenged Sevenfold know how to structure a pefect, over 5 mintues song, with out listeners becoming bored and flicking on to next track "Betrayed". And again. Another amazing song. I just love the whole album, I really do. Ok, so sometimes I flick tracks, but don't we all? The only think I can say against this album is the front of the album cover, it's quite scary. If lost. I'd replace it. If you had any taste: you would too. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Korzack, on may 26, 2007

Sound: I hadn't heard any of their stuff before I got wind of this album (got into them when Metal Hammer started majorly talking about them around release time). Got hold of the video to Bat Country and didn't look back. It takes a lot of balls to completely change your style like they have, even if it was mainly for medical reasons. Does it work? Hell yes. The sound on the album is astounding from the start of 'The Beast & The Harlot' right the way through to the end of 'M.I.A', with actual musicians that show what they can do whilst managing to not sound like utter fretboard wankers, as the expression goes. I personally thought it a damn relief to not be force-fed another band of screaming metalheads with more EMG's than the main factory, but that's beside the point. The change of style was an immense relief, and made their music Fun to listen to again in my opinion. Surely that's the most important thing, regardless of whatever message a band wants to communicate. Okay, at some points it gets a little annoying (the chorus to 'Beast & The Harlot' does get on your nerves after a while), but that happens with all records. Not the perfect sound, but the closest I've heard in a long time It'll do for a 10. The drumming of the Rev is solid & does a really good job - kicks Tommy Lee's arse any day. The bassist the only one who's name escapes me, and to be fair you can hardly hear it at all on Any of the songs, so I can hardly comment. The 2 guitars of Zacky Vengence (the more rhythm-orientated of the 2) and Synyster Gates steal the show, in all fairness. Until Machine Head's 'The Blackening' came out, this was the best guitar album of the decade, in my opinion. // 10

Lyrics: A lot's been made of what's happened to M. Shadows (would-be nominee for 'daftest name in rock' if he wasn't so damn frightening at times)since that infamous blood vessel needed to be surgically removed, stopping him from screaming. It's like trying to fence when you've got no fingers, T'is just not possible, jimmy. It still works with his singing on the album. Bloody well, brings to mind all the old 80's bands, AC/DC, Helloween & that band Axl Rose used to be in, haven't heard the name for Years (for the slow ones present, I would like to point out that was a joke. A not very good one, granted). Okay, the nasal tone does get annoying at parts, the chorus I mentioned, for one, but overall it's Damn mighty, and the 2 ballads really give him chance to shine, Seize The Day and M.I.A. Does he rise up? Not 'Arf!. // 9

Overall Impression: I feel more inclined to compare it to albums from the 80's heyday, I mentioned a fair few before, rather than trying to call them the new Metallica, Trivium & all that crap. What I loved most about it was the way that instead of following the current fashion of "Chug N' Shred", which hasn't really changed since Pantera split, the lads have completely the other direction. Granted, Shadow's operation forced it to a degree, but it doesn't sound at all enforced and uncomfortable. The most impressive numbers? Bat Country, Strength Of The World, Seize The Day, Burn It Down, Sidewinder, Thrashed & Scattered. Pretty much all of them. My only minor gripe is that they are a little bit lengthy at times. Okay, sometimes I don't notice that (Machine Head's 'Halo', for example), but after 5 minutes your perception does change a little with some of the songs. Still, best thing I've heard in a long time, congratulations are easily due for them. I might even learn the bassist's name specially. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: ian4sho, on june 14, 2007

Sound: The overall sound of this album is very catchy. You can easily tell that alot of creativity and hard work was put into making each song. With catchy riffs and face-melting solos around every corner it makes you think about it for minutes or even hours on end. In the album they use something not many people can pull of like harmonized soloing and sweep picking. The two guitarist (Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance) really know what they're doing, as do the rest of teh band. // 8

Lyrics: For the album "City Of Evil" you wouldn't really think to listening to the lyrics, becuase your too occupied trying to figure out how they can get their instruments to do the crazy things on this album. If you really get down to it and listen, though, the lyrics go very well with the sound. The singer (M. Shadows) says in most interviews that the band wrote the music first and then he would write the lyrics as he listened to the music. By doing that, he makes each word fit perfectly with the music. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is like no other. Avenged Sevenfold has a very unique sound and you can tell by listening to this album. It is definitely the best yet. The thing that makes it so individual is that each instrument flows together with each other and it makes it sound perfect. Although they do sound a bit like they put a solo in every song and some sounds are repeated through different songs, each song has a pretty good sound, and you can easily tell teh difference, but it still sounds like the same band. The finer songs to look out for if you like crazy solos would be "Beast And The Harlot", "Bat Country", "Sidewinder", and "M.I.A." If your looking for a good harmony there's "The Wicked End." If you want a slower song but still having the benefit of a sweet guitar solo, you could listen to "Seize The Day." Every song on the album has it's own sound and it stands out. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: zeppelinaddict1, on june 20, 2007

Sound: Before I start, I would like to begin by saying Avenged Sevenfold is not a metal band, nor are they emo/screamo. They are hard rock on their latest, and most mature album to date. The album begins as if it was hitting you in the face with a sledgehammer. Layers upon layers hit you the from the moment M. Shadows speaks his intro on Bat Country to the beautiful acoustic solo that ends the album on MIA. 01. Beast And The Harlot - this song is a real headbanger. It has possibly the hardest solo on the album to play (a large majority of them provide serious difficulty in playing). The song, while retaining a heavy sound, is very mature. 02. Burn It Down - burn it Down is a very quirky song. It has an F Major key playing on top of the relative D Minor key, giving the song the ability to move from it's grinding breakdowns to meryy sounding arpeggios and choruses. 03. Blinded In Chains - yet another heavy hitter. This song is very impressive, however, sometimes feels as if it's being dragged out just a little to long. The breakdown at the end of the song is worth listening to the entire thing though. 04. Bat Country - this song, along with Beast and the Harlot provides an easy transition from Avenged Sevenfold's past evdeavors to their newest album. Good song, with an incredible solo. 05. Trashed And Scattered - fast! Certainly not the fastest song in the world, but deffinately quick paced. This song has impressed all of my friends, even the Avenged Sevenfold haters. Slightly reminicent of Guns n' Roses. 06. Seize The Day - the song is decent, deffinately going to be a classic, despite it's overall repetitaveness, however, the solos (yes, there are two, despite common belief) are incredible. They are not the hardest things to play, but certainly will be on the next 100 greatest solos of all time. And listen to the sweep picking towards the end of the song. I dare anyone to play arpeggios that fast and cleanly. 07. Sidewinder - this is where the album starts winding down. While the song is certainly still a rocker, a large majority of it is a gorgeous flamenco-esque solo by Synyster Gates and his father. Props to two amazing guitarists on this one. 08. Wicked End - one final "oorah" for those metal heads that thought the album had ended after Bat Country. This song is quite different than most songs on the album, and is just a fun song to listen to, with very mature lyrics. 09. Strength Of The World - the song begins by sounding like something out of an old western film. In fact, the entire song sounds like one grand adventure, as we follow the story of a young man or woman who lost his/her family, and now wants revenge. 10. Betrayed - the main riff to this song is so catchy, and this song is a deffinate tribute to Dime. Dime would have loved it. 11. M.I.A. - one of the standout tracks on the album. While the lyrics are not their best, the song musically is incredibely impressive. Even if your not a fan of Avenged Sevenfold, you will love the acoustic solo at the end of the epic song. This album sounds more like a classic rock album, almost like something Guns n' Roses would have created, except heavier. However, this album is blazing a new bath for gutiar bands everywhere, and by guitar bands I don't mean wank off on your guitars neck bands. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are incredibley mature, and are not the common place "Cry my eyes out" lyrics on their first album, Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. While Waking the Fallen was a better attempt at sounding "not emo," this album cinched it. The lyrics always fit the song, and are either angry lyrics telling someone to piss off, the story of an adventure, a tribute, a worldly observation, the list goes on, the lyrics themselves are worth listening to. While M. Shadows does not have the best voice, his voice fits the music. And I think his surgery and new-found inability to scream are a plus, since this music would just sound, well, dumb with screaming. And hearing M. Shadows voice on the new Good Charlotte song, The River, is just conformation that he is becoming more comfortable with his new voice, and in my opinion talent. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has no competitors in my opinion. Every other album that has come out recently that has been worth listening to can't hold a candle to these guys. I listen to the entire album at least once a day, that's how amazing it is, and it has had a serious impact on my musical writing style. it's also the only album that has made me want to play in Drop-D tuning. The only bad part about this album is sometimes, for only brief periods, there will be too much layering of intsruments. However, throughout most of the album, Avenged Sevenfold can layer two acoustics, a piano, two electrics, drums, bass, and up to three vocal parts, brilliantly. If this album were stolen or lost (which it has been) I would immediately buy it again. Please, if you haven't listened to these guys yet, or are afraid to because "metal" heads will call you a pussy, just ignore that and listen to it. Avenged Sevenfold is ten times heavier than anything out there. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Alchemykid93, on june 28, 2007

Sound: ok I think avenged sevenfold is an incredibly great band, I meen seriously, they made so many hit songs on one album, and the solos are incredible! I meen the solo on bat coutry isnt all that difficult if you seriously look at it, but how fast and flawlessly they have it on the CD, it's great. Overall the one song that caught my eye was bat country, they could never have picked a better sound to go with that song. The riffs, solos, all of it, it's beutiful. And another thing you can always count on from A7X I a good concert. Every concert I have seen for city of evil has been amazing, they play the best parts, and even add to it a bit live. And who hasn't seen there moves on stage, classic, but still it's a great show to watch. If I had to rate it I would easily give it a 9. Only reason I wouldn't give a 10 is because of the song "burn it down". I felt it was a complete dulling factor for the album. But I meen you have to give them credit. Having a perfect album dosnt happen very often. Thanks for reading my review for city of evil by avenged sevenfold // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album are great. They blend perfectly together, both harmonicly, but also passionetly. They put soo much enfesis on what is the point of the song, and what is the backround. It sounds great when you listen to the words also because they make sense. a lot of songs out are basically about nothing. Take sieze the day for example. If you listen, it tells a hole story line. Anyways for lyrics I would give it a 9 also. Again I didn't feel any amotion or dramatic effect in burn it down. The song reminded me of the having to put a quick song on the album so it could be shipped out on time. Thanks for reading my lyrics review for city of evil by Avenged Sevenfold. // 9

Overall Impression: If I had to compare it between any other albums they made this would definitly top the others by a mile. As I've said in the past, there is a ton of dramatic affects, solos, and melody, I'm not saying there other albums aren't good but this one was definitly a carreer maker for them. It has every element of musical talent I have looked for when classifiying music. The other albums where good. But they lacked as much passion and suspence. You always no who is doin the solo just from listening. Sinister is an incredible guitarist in this album. He really sored to a new hight on all the solos, and just over all playing. In the other albums you could always count on a solo, but in city of evil, he ripped it soo hard. I just sat there staring the first time I heard it. Overall I give the album a 9. If anyone looks at this I definatly recomend you by the album. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Masterbeefy, on july 02, 2007

Sound: The level of sound on this album is a great improvement from the previous two. The quality is better, the riffs are better and overall it's just the best out of all of them. The only problem with the sound is at times M. Shadow's vocals get a bit nasally, but if you can get used to that then the sound is perfect. Some may complain though. There is no longer any screaming, but to make up for it, Synyster Gates' guitarwork has become better than ever, and in my opinion, better than nearly any other guitarist. There is also an appearence by Synyster Gats' father, Brian Haner Sr, on the song "Sidewinder". Overall, takes some getting used to, bu well worth it. // 9

Lyrics: Most of their lyrics follow some sort of story and have a lot of meaning to them. This album takes it to a whole new level with deeper descriptions and thicker story lines. There are also more biblical references, such as with "The Wicked End", it heavily refers to the story of Adam And Eve, and "The Beast And The Harlot" is about The City Of Babylon. The vocal lines, when not singing are used as a sort of other instrament, keeping rhythm and time going at a good pace. As I noted before, M. Shadows no longer screams. There are rumours for this but either way he doesnt't scream any more. His voice does sometimes get a bit nasally, but if you get used to it, then it is just right. I personally think it sounds better at times. // 9

Overall Impression: All in all, This album is by far the best of the three albums released. There are concepts that aren't quite as good, but overall it kicks the crap out of the others. If you buy this album, make sure you listen to The Beast And The Harlot and Burn It Down first, the two songs have a perfect transition that sounds great. Also be sureto listen to M.I.A and Betrayed (written in the memory of Dimebag Darrell). I love the guitarwork in it, the scales and rhythm patterns are out of this world. And if someone stole this album from me, I'd kill their families, cus it is by far my favourite album. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Grayfox176, on july 03, 2007

Sound: The third studio album to be released by this band, City Of Evil does not disappoint. It is a shame that Shadows isn't able to scream anymore, because some of the emotion seems to just not be there anymore, but that isn't bad, my only complaint is that the producer seems to really like the treble a little too much. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a little more refined, this makes a double edged sword. The good side is that it helped the band to find its own sound. the down side is that it took away from the raw emotion (Which I happen to like very much). Personally, I did notice something that was really cool to me. a little symbolism it seemed, as in the beginning, during the introduction of "Beast And The Harlot," in the background, Shadows starts with a scream much like his older style, and slowly lets it transition into more vocalizing. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, it's an excellent album, even if it might be the least impressive of them all, but it is barely beaten out by STST, because the pure anger and emotion slightly outweigh the many dual guitar parts in this album. And it goes to show, just because Shadows is incapable of screaming throughout the album, it's not weakened beyond all reason. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: MUHAHAHA, on september 15, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold have released their third full-length album which is also their mainstream breakthrough record. Avenged Sevenfold have really out done themselves with this record and I just hope that they will be able to duplicate the success with the next one. // 10

Lyrics: I'm think that the band did some very good writing, but some lyrics are taken from other writings such as the Book of Revelations. I still think that the words are put together in perfect form though. M. Shadows has strayed away from his screaming roots, but I don't find that as any kind of loss. I personally dislike screaming and prefer singing. He does some great work with putting together melodies and incorporating distortion into his vocals. // 8

Overall Impression: I highly recommend picking this album up, because the guitars are amazing, the drums are outstanding and the vocals are crazy good. I think there are a lot of great songs on this album that should have gotten more credit, but the singles include Beast And The Harlot, Bat Country and Seize The Day. I think that songs such as Strength of the World should have gotten more credit, because it sounds unique and as if it has been worked very hard on. So, I really recommend picking this peice of art up for your personal compact disc collection. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Mental-lica, on october 22, 2007

Sound: This is my first and only Avenged Sevenfold album I have purchased and I definetly wasn't disappointed. Through the idiotic stage names and the horrible live performances, this album honestly is not a blow off album I was expecting. I was originally going to buy this album for just Beast and the Harlot because I heard that song and became immediatly obsessed. So I went out and bought it and there were some way better songs on there like Sidewinder, Bat Country, Seize The Day, and my personal favorite, MIA. // 7

Lyrics: M. Shadows is probably the most talented vocalist of his genre currently because I've never seen anyone sing the way he does, it's absolutely amazing. He is also an amazing lyricists and the lyrics in MIA are probably some of my favorite of all time. This is one of the stronger points of an album. // 8

Overall Impression: Don't expect the best album ever if you bought this, it's defenitly not the best ever. I suggest just buying those five songs off itunes or something because the rest of the songs on there are amazingly boring. The best songs on the album (and the ones you should buy) are: Beast And The Harlot, Bat Country, Seize The Day, Sidewinder, MIA. I love the singing and great guitar playing by Synyster Gates. I don't like how they have some really good songs and the rest of them suck. If it were stolen I really don't care, I have the songs on my media player and it's not worth the money. // 7

City Of Evil Reviewed by: razorblade666, on october 24, 2007

Sound: The sound of City of Evil was probably one of the best from A7X so far. Syn and Zacky V's guitar work was phenominal on this album. Beast and The Harlot, Burn It Down, and Bat Country all have catchy riff's and solo's you can hum along to. The Rev laid down some of the best beats ever on this record. M. Shadows completely blew my mind with the lyrics. Last but certainly not least, Johnny Christ with the bass. Johnny puts the energy into the songs. // 8

Lyrics: As most people say M. Shadows hurt his voice and can't do all the screaming anymore. Well M. Shadows can certainly still scream. As for the new sound on the this record, I think it's an awesome way to go. The lyrics are great and some people can relate to some of them. Shadows voice does sound a bit wierd at first but you'll eventually get used to at. I hated how he sounded at first but it grew on me. // 8

Overall Impression: This album, by far, is the best of all the albums I've heard from A7X. The most impressive songs on this album have to be Burn It Down, Blinded In Chains, and Sieze The Day. The guitar work, the vocals, the bass, and drums all come together. Each part of these songs goes great with each other. If this CD was taken, I would replace it in a second. // 8

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Kosh H, on april 05, 2008

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's sound has improved since waking the fallen. Even though waking the fallen was excellent, the screaming kind of made it hard to appreciate the guitars, and something else important, the drums. I enjoyed all the different instruments, like the bass in "The Wicked End", the amazing classical guitar at the end of "Sidewinder" and, of course, the amazing guitar solos. I did not like the intro to "Strength Of The World" on the other hand, because it was out of pace, especially after "The Wicked End's" powerful guitar and bass. All in all I believe the sound has improved, over time. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics have greatly improved, compared to "Sounding The Seventh Trumpet". M. Shadow's voice is excellent, even after his vocal surgery. Shadows sings every song powerfully and emotionally, giving them strength and making them memorable. I don't have much bad to say about the lyrics, as they are well written, making each song a story you want to hear again and again. The lyrics harmonize excellently with each song, sounding right and true with each one. M. Shadows vocal skills have improved, his range and strength have gotten better. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is a great one, easily in my top 5. Avenged Sevenfold is a great band, and I love the sound of the thrashing metal guitars, the powerful bass, and pulse-pounding drums. There isn't much I don't like, besides the lame intro to strength of the world.I believe the most powerful, memorable song is Sidewinder, but Bat Country, Trashed and Scattered and The Wicked End are great as well. If this CD was stolen, I would catch the guy who took it, congratulate him on his fine taste in music, and then beat him with a baseball bat and take it back. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: jimmyled, on june 05, 2008

Sound: "City of Evil" is a major step in A7X's transference from the screaming (almost emo) amateur band of "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" into the big worldwide hit of "Avenged Sevenfold". What started out as Metalcore/Hardcore band with only one calm song (ironically their calmest- "Warmness on the Soul"), with songs like "Darkness Surrounding" and "An Epic of Time Wasted" evolved into 50%-50% in "Waking the Fallen", with songs such as "Unholy Confessions" and "Chapter Four" which feature half screaming half singing, and later into "City of Evil" with almost no screaming (about 20% screaming) such as "Beast and the Harlot", which features a long growl in the intro, allegedly because of a broken blood-vessel in lead-singer Matt Shadow's neck, which affected the quality of his singing. "Beast and the Harlot", the first and arguably the most famous track in "City of Evil", is no doubt a varying and exciting extension of "Waking the Fallen". Featuring a straight-to-the-point intro, a heavy riff and a catchy chorus, not to mention the gut-spilling solo, there's no question of why it was chosen to feature in "Guitar-Hero II". With the bonus attribution of joining the next track, "Burn it Down" it is considered by many to be their best. "Burn it Down" though, takes the album into a different direction, with drummer The Rev leading the song when lead guitarist Synyster Gates and rhythm Zacky Vengeance have stopped harmonizing or soloing. "Blinded in Chains" (Track 3) and "Trashed and Scattered" (Track 5) feature the same content as most of Avenged Sevenfold's songs up to this album, only missing the screaming and growling featured in earlier songs. "Bat Country" (Track 4) features a quote of Dr Johnson: "He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man". The lyrics focus on Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" accompanied by a shredding guitar riff and ripping solo with a guitar duel at the end. "Seize the Day" (Track 6), A7X's most famous ballad, inspired (both in the music and the video) by Guns N' Roses, is one of their calmest songs, with only soft distortion in the chorus and after the solo, and perhaps their only song not using the Dropped-D tuning. The solo, inspired by Guns N' Roses lead guitarist Slash, features (in the video) Synyster elevating out of a coffin with his electric guitar in hand. "Sidewinder" (Track 7), is my favorite song by A7X. With a catchy riff/chorus, and ever changing verses, it features most of Avenged. Including a lead part filled in by Synyster's dad, Brian Haner, and a solo in the end played by him (right before Synyster's solo), it has heavy riffs, catchy riffs, clean parts, solos, sweeps and harmonizing. A7X's best. With verses similar to "Beast and the Harlot"'s, "The Wicked End" (Track 8) is perhaps the weirdest of Avenged Sevenfold's songs (not including "Avenged Sevenfold" or any future albums). It starts out with an intimidating siren sound accompanied with a paranoid bass riff and then continues with the verses, strange chorus and wicked solo, followed by the weirdest, most "Lord of the Rings" bridge, with a keyboard choir, tinkling guitar, and a legato cello. Then it returns to the main riff. Songs like "Strength of the World" (Track 9) and "M.I.A" (Track 11) introduce a new sound (although already suggested in songs such as "And All Things Must End") to Avenged's songs, with clean intros and outros and heavy riffs and bring up the subject if classic music in Metal, as seen in songs such as Metallica's "Master of Puppets" (first solo), with "Strength of the World" featuring an orchestra. "Betrayed" (Track 10) is supposedly a song about Pantera guitarist Dimebag's murder. With a very nice intro riff, cool verse guitar part, weird harmonizing chords in the chorus, and a latino bridge, it is definitely worth a listening, except for the singing (which I have to admit, sounds a bit gay). // 10

Lyrics: A lot of the lyrics in the album, like a big part of their songs, have to do with faith and the Bible, and some political views are pointed out, and there's a love song, so the lyrics are varied throughout the album. The lyrics and the singing go very well with the music (except on "Betrayed"), especially in "Sidewinder" and "Bat Country", which are very awesome. Although a bit harmed after the blood-vessel incident, Shadow's voice is still very recognizable and quite good, although not as good as once. I, for one, think that his Screaming was much better in songs like "Unholy Confessions". You decide. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally, I think this album is their best up to now (June 2008), because of it being a type of crossing between the amateur hardcore band and the over-mature, if not a bit pompous band in "Avenged Sevenfold". The best in the album, I think, is "Sidewinder", followed by runner ups "Strength of the World" and "Bat Country", and bronze medal "Beast and the Harlot" and "M.I.A.". // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Fool Dominhated, on june 14, 2008

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold with their third studio album, reach full maturity, their final sound, and the structuring of texts and melodies almost like the old legends of Hard Rock. For me this is without doubt the best album of the Californian band. In the first album, "Sounding The Seventh Trumpet," if someone had not heard yet, the band played everything other than in recent works. Avenged Sevenfold were a promising band Metalcore, but later a serious problem with the vocal cords of the singer, Matt Shadows, the band had to choose to undertake other types of Metal. In their second album, "Waking The Fallen", are beginning to see the first signs of a change of genre by the band, but still with a good influence Metalcore. In the third album the Metalcore vein is totally absent or almost, for old fans could seem like a bad blow, but for me was the glorification of one of the most promising band in the whole scene Metal. The sound of "City Of Evil" is very varied, as there are Heavy Metal songs, Hard Rock songs, Rock ballads, and orchestral songs. Regarding the technical implementation, is something great, the sound of drums is unique, is an unmistakable sound than any other drummer, and then "The Rev"(Drums) is promoted with honors. Regarding the work of rhythm and guitar riffs, "Zacky Vengeance", are carried out well. But the real spectacle is the unique and unmistakable voice of "Matt Shadows," which has interpreted the songs so unexceptionable, and the solos of "Synyster Gates," solos sometimes easy execution but unforgettable atmosphere or frenetic and fast solos by difficult implementation, in my opinion one of the most talented guitarists of the new Metal scene. Finally, the sound of "City Of Evil" is incredible, certainly one of the best metal album of recent years. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to "City of Evil" are very diverse and deal with various issues. Most of the lyrics relate to the personal sphere and situations of daily life always lived by the members of the band. Other songs have different issue, as "Betrayed" which is a tribute song in honour of irreplaceable Dimebag Darrel (I will not waste time even tell you who he was, fans of Metal knows that great loss was); other issue is that by "M.I.A.", the wonderful song that closes this masterpiece, which literally stands for "Missing In Action" and treats the loss in war of a dear friend to the band. And according to subject matter, the sound reflects the emotions that the band has tried when he wrote these songs, and even perfect voice interpretation from Matt Shadows who managed to convey all the different emotions that this album expresses, especially in ballads rock "Seize the Day" and "MIA", and made me go back a lot of melancholy and nostalgia "Betrayed," which recalls is a great guitarist but especially a great man, Dimebag Darrel. // 8

Overall Impression: All the impressions that I had to this album are all positive, the band has no sin in nothing and made his best album. Now I will go to analyse one by one all the masterpieces of this album: 01. Beast And The Harlot - which is also the second single excerpt from City of Evil, in the first 20 seconds seems a intro, but it is a song by the unforgettable sound, which fully reflects the maturity reached by the band. 02. Burn It Down - it starts with a hammering, beautiful and lively, both in lyrics that sound. 03. Blinded In Chains - where they are valued the excellent qualities of The Rev, at around 2min. 50sec is an impressive passage of battery (still can not understand how to do it). 04. Bat Country - one of my favourite songs, the first single City of Evil, another song which reflects the profound change in the band. 05. Trashed And Scattered - both beautiful song as bad, obviously both in lyrics that sound. 06. Seize The Day - the third and final individual extract City of Evil, a song slow and melancholic, one of the most beautiful rock ballads of recent times, besides the beautiful song is also the music video (really not to be missed, the evocative solo of "Synyster Gates" on the coffin during the funeral, unforgettable). 07. Sidewinder - song of 7.01 min, from sound particular, bad but at the same time slow, genial. 08. The Wicked End - song of 7.10 min, initially aggressive, around four minutes becomes evocative with church choirs, grandiose. 09. Strength Of The World - song of 9.14 min, this song represents, totally, the new essence of Avenged Sevenfold, contains all the creativity of the band, all the technical skills of the band, making this perhaps the best song of the full album. 10. Betrayed - great song, for a great tribute to a great man. 11. M.I.A. - the Avenged Sevenfold close their masterpiece with a beautiful song, which holds itself up somewhat throughout the album, starting as a ballad Rock, and then become frantic. Awesome. Finally advice to all connoisseurs of good Metal and Rock this album, there certainly disappoint (at least as I see it), a great album for a future great band. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: dickhaus, on june 21, 2008

Sound: Personally, I love Avenged Sevenfold and consider them one of my favorite bands. The pure energy and musicianship involved in their music amazes me. This being said, City of Evil is possibly their best example of this. The main theme of the album is the flaws of society. It talks a lot about how evil society has become and how faith has been replaced with sin, as in Beast and the Harlot and Bat Country. It also makes several Biblical referrences such as in Strength of the World and The Wicked End (the name Avenged Sevenfold is also a Biblical referrence). Where in previous recordings (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen) the genre was pure in your face metal, this CD tones it down to more of a Metalcore sound and sometimes even to Hard Rock. A great expample of this is Seize the Day, which is almost entirely acoustic. With all this change one thing has certainly stayed the same: the masterful guitar work of virtuoso ax gods Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album really stick with you. They're fairly dynamic and cover a few different topics. While many seem to be about odd topics only found in Progressive Rock, they turn out to be somewhat of a metaphor for something deeper and more meaningful (Sidewinder, The Wicked End). However, others are more obvious, such as Seize the Day (lost love) and Missing in Action (military support). Having said that, I overall enjoy the lyrics. They really comply with the music well, too. Many of the lyrics were roughened up to sound good with the fast paced, gritty, and overall hardcore instrumentals. Although there is one anomaly. This is Seize the Day, which has fairly melloncolly lyrics and is also a slow song. M. Shadows' singing abilities are incredible seeing as this is the first album he actually sang on instead of screaming (he popped a blood vessel in his throat and can no longer scream). In general, his singing is pretty good, too, so I think he's overall a good singer. // 8

Overall Impression: City of Evil compares with a couple albums by other artists. It compares pretty well with some of the older Atreyu albums such as The Curse, A Death Grip on Yesterday, and Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses. While the vocals are no comparison, the instruments are. They both include fast, sweeping guitar parts and insane hardcore drums. The most impressive songs are Strength of the World, The Wicked End, and Seize the Day. Strength of the World is a nine minute opus featuring winding instrumentals, heart-felt vocals, and even long orchestral sections. The Wicked End is a typical hardcore A7X song, but gives way in the middle to an orchestra. Seize the Day is simply the opposite of what you would expect on an Avenged Sevenfold album, featuring mostly acoustic guitar and sad lyrics. I love energy in it and how musical it is in comparison to most of the stagnant same old stuff that you hear all over the radio. I love the hooky guitar parts and the blazingly fast sweep guitar solos. I love the brutal mix of pounding drums, thundering bass, and rocking rythm guitar. I love the mix of metal and orchestral music. However, there are also some things I dislike about it. I hate how the vocals sometimes drear into a whiny drone. Sometimes I even hate the long and often uninteresting bridges. If I lost this CD I would buy it again without thinking twice about it. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: bassplayer18A7X, on october 15, 2008

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's Music writing skills are amazing. All of their songs on this CD blow me away. There are many elements of Hard rock, heavy metal, and power ballads, shredding Guitar solos, bass solos, and very fast and creative drumming. The song "Beast and the Harlot", was voted the 14th best riff ever in Guitar Magazine. Now I will tell what I think of the songs on this CD: 01.Beast and the Harlot: amazing song, Great Riff, and an amazing solo, lyrics tell a story, and great drumming 9/10 02.Burn it down: very good song, very fast paced, Very good singing, good guitar work. 9/10 03.Blinded in Chains: great song, it's always fun to listen to, Very good bass solo. 9/10 04.Bat Country: one of my Favorites on the CD, lyrics are based off of a book "Fear and loathing in las Vegas", an Amazing solo, great sweep picking by synyster gates, and zacky vengence. 10/10 05.Trashed and Scattered: good song, very good bass line from Johnny, singing is alright, but not amazing. 8.5/10 06.Seize the Day: one of the best songs on the CD, great solo from synyster, and good use of acoustic guitar, lyrics are very meaningful, and almost sad. 9.5/10 07.Sidewinder: it's a good song, I wouldn't say it is amazing though, there is a very good acoustic guitar solo at the end, pretty good singing also. 08.The Wicked End: good song, good guitar work, bassist and drummer work good together, and some references to the bible also. 8.5/10 09.Strength of the World: very good song, very good acoustic guitar intro, and good use of violins, a little too long for my taste, but it's overall a good song. 9/10 10.Betrayed: I like this song a lot, very good singing, and the song is a tribute to dimebag, good drumming, and good guitar playing, very good riff, and a cool bass line. 9.5/10 11.M.I.A: good song, very long also, the name probably gives away the meaning of the song, obviously about someone being in a war, and being Missing In Action. Nothing special when it comes to singing though. 8/10 Overall I think that the CD deserves a 10/10 because none of the songs are bad, and they are all very enjoyable to listen too. // 10

Lyrics: I am very impressed with most of the Lyrics on this CD. Every song has meaningful lyrics, and every song has a point that they are trying to get across. The hit single "Bat Country" is based on a book called "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", which has to do with a man doing drugs while in Las Vegas. Betrayed is a tribute to Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott who was the guitarist for pantera, who got shot when he was playing live. The song "Beast and the Harlot" is about the fall of Babylon the Great from the book of revelation. They lyrics also fit the music very well, they try different things, but I think that they pull it off. The singer M. Shadows is amazing, he can go from very intense screams to very melodic singing, and also can sing with lots of emotion, such as on the song Seize the Day. // 9

Overall Impression: Comparing this to other Avenged Sevenfold albums I think that it is the strongest album they have made so far, and they are definitly one of the most sucessful modern metal/hard rock bands out there, everyone in the band has talent, and they all do a good job of making music, and working well together. The most impressive songs on the album are "Beast and the Harlot", "Bat Country", "Trashed and Scattered" "Burn it Down", "Blinded in Chains", and "Seize the Day". The things that I Love about this album are the songwriting, Guitar riffs, and solos, and the singing. If it were lost or stolen I would without a doubt buy it again. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: CelestialChaos, on november 14, 2008

Sound: This is the album that marked a major sound change, and commercial success for Avenged Sevenfold. Musically, this album is a much more metal oriented outing than the previous effort, Waking The Fallen. The tempos are often very fast, tons of harmonized leads, solos, double bass, and more. There is also a lot more attitude on this album, with a Guns N' Roses feel a lot of the time. This definitely isn't metal core, I'd label it as Hard Rock with a lot of Maiden/Pantera influence. Synyster Gats does an excellent job on the CD, as does The Rev at drumming. Zacky does his job, and Johnny Christ falls victim to the root note curse of metal/rock. M. Shadows vocals no longer feature screamo type vocals, but more traditional screaming and singing. His voice at times is weak on this CD, most likely due to blowing it out during touring. His voice is much better on the follow up record, Avenged Sevenfold. The vocal melodies and harmonies are excellent, though. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics all fit the songs, and are, for the most part, delivered well. While there are times when M. Shadow's vocals sound a bit forced, other times they come off very well. Shadow's voice might not be for everyone, but many people will find it enjoyable. He has a decent range (much better in the previous and next album, though), powerful presentation and a lot of great melodies and harmonies. // 8

Overall Impression: City of Evil is a great addition to any hard rock/classic metal fan's collection. Beast and Harlot is very powerful, Bat Country has attitude and a killer solo, Sieze The Day has a very Slash inspired emotional solo, and Sidewinder has a great beat and acoustic outro. While some old A7X fans might not like their direction with this album, I would definitely say it was a much needed step. This is the fastest A7X has ever been, and the most Iron Maiden influenced. The next album will slow the tempo down and go for a more heavy, mature sound, but for this album it's all about being over the top, heavy and fast. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Solskinn8, on february 02, 2009

Sound: When I first listened to this LONG album (freakin 72 minutes! ), the first thing that grabbed me was the guitar work. Unlike Waking the Fallen, the guitar-work has more structure and doesn't repeat itself for 5 minutes. Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance have really come along in their speed and technique and I just love it. And I can accually hear Johnny Christ on this album. WHOA! But enough with the guitar, it's amazing period. I've always envied The Rev for his consistancy in his drumming. Sure I can play his licks, but only for 1 minute. He keeps the fast pace, double-bass, beat throughout this whole album and it really shows how much he has come since Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. Now to vocals. All I have to say is, I really don't miss the screaming. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album really stand out to me. Every song, except The Beast and the Harlot, deals with real life, aggravating situations, especially with women. Amen is all I have to say. But, they don't really get past the musical element of this album so, I really don't have that much to say about them so... stand outs are Burn It Down and Trashed and Scattered. // 8

Overall Impression: I really, as I said before, love the guitar work, especially the lead licks during the choruses. But one thing that annoys me and prevents me from seeing these guys live is Matt Shadow's range. He hits notes octaves above what he sung in Waking the Fallen and that scares me. Can he hit those live? The most impressive songs to me would have to be Burn It Down, Trashed and Scattered, and Betrayed, but don't take my word for it. If it was stolen, I would buy it again, but used. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: ASILAYDYING182, on february 16, 2009

Sound: The bands sound has definately changed from Waking the Fallen to City of Evil but if your a die hard A7X fan you'll probably like this one.The first thing most people will notice if you got waking the fallen or have this CD is, what the hell no screaming vocals! this CD has almost no screaming in it besides intro screaming but that's about it. Also the Zacky Vengeance and Synyster Gates have a lot more complicated solos in it which I think everyone will like, the Revs drumming is more in a thrash style kind of like Slipknot, as I said before M.Shadows vocals have changed to singing instead of screaming which I had no problems with but some people might, so overall the CD sounds great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great and fit right in with the guitars and drumming of the band and it also fits there style. I think the Best lyrics on the album is Beast and the Harlot, it's about the fall of Babylon and how the queen of Babylon was a whore or something and made the empire of Babylon fall, also I think M.I.A has great lyrics with a great meaning behind it, it's song written about the stories M.Shadows friend would tell him about when he was in Iraq, it's a very well written song. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD isn't as good as WTF but it's not bad, the best songs on the CD are Beast and the Harlot, Burn It Down, Bat Country, Seize the Day, and M.I.A. I hate that on this CD there is no screaming which sucks but it kinda fits the music better, the things I love the best is the Revs new drumming style and there is a lot more guitar solos which really show off the talent of Syn Gates and Zacky V. If this album were lost or stolon I would definately buy it again. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2009

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold have always had their own "unique" sound, with their heavy riffs and dual guitar harmonizing, and this album is by far their best work. The solos are AMAZING, the lyrics are WAILING, and the sound is AWESOME. A7X are probably one of the top 3 best bands of the 21st century as of now, and they prove it all by themselves. Syn is no doubt an excellent guitar player, from the evil and demonic Bat Country solo, to the calm, emotional Seize the Day. (Not to mention his sig. guitars are SICK!) the sound on this album sounds mean, hardcore, and heavier than rock, but not quite metal, so rock and metal fans will dig this sound. And screw everyone who says avenged sevenfold are emo! The sound is not emo, they just look emo! (Especially Zacky hahahaha) // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not so much meaningful, as they are catchy. The lyrics on Trashed and Scattered really got in my mind, sounding like the song was going to kill me in my sleep, but it made me wore aware (and I avoided getting hit by a truck that same day. M. Shadows voice is easily recognized, and not to mention pretty good as well. But some of it sounds a lot alike, so I recommend he tries expanding his vocal range (But not like Axl Rose high though, that would be kinda freaky). But other than that I was very impressed with M. Shadow evolution from his Sounding the Seventh Trumpet screaming days. He really sounds alot better w/o it. Overall, I really like the lyrics on this album, and was happy to see M. Shadows singing. Although it could be better... // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favorite albums ever. It turned me on to rock, and inspired me to play guitar. Now I'm in a band, writing songs and jamming daily. The best songs on the album are Bat Country, Beast and the Harlot, Seize the day, Betrayed and Trashed and Scattered. There is nothing I hate about this album (but I don't prefer the song Blinded in Chains, kind of boring to me) and I listen to it everyday, but not in it's entirety. If I ever lost this album I wouldn't sleep until I got a replacement, because it is worth the time and money. I recommend this to anyone who likes rock/metal, because you wont be disapointed in it. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2009

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold have done it again. After the release of Waking the Fallen, their status was pretty good, but they moved to AWESOME. The sound is amazing, i the harmonizing guitars are great, the drums are nice and fast, and M. Shadows is finally done screaming! Synyster Gates also does some really good solos on this album, from the emotion filled Seize the Day, to the evil Bat Country. The sound is a great blend of metal/hard rock. This album is where Avenged Sevenfold peaked, and just one listen and you can tell this is them at their best. This album is good for anyone who likes Hard Rock or Metal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well thought out and very meaningful. The best song lyric-wise would have to be M.I.A, with strong messages like "2 million soldiers can't be wrong", really make you think twice about the war we are in right now. M. Shadows also shows us his singing voice on this album, departing from his STST, WTF screaming days. And lets get it straight, he isnt the best singer, but his voice belongs in this band, and it sounds great combined with the guitars. But I do consider M. Shadows to expand his vocal range, but this works for now, and its better than screaming. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is AMAZING. The sound is great, and the songs are well written and thought out. I really like Waking the Fallen, and I can honestly say City of Evil is better. Its more melodic, and its pretty heavy too, but not as heavy as WTF. The best songs are definately M.I.A, Trashed and Scattered, Seize the Day, Bat Country and Beast and the Harlo. The only thing I don't like about this album is you can hardly hear the bass. Johhny Christ is a good player, and needs to be heard a little more, but other than that I REALLY liked this album. If I EVER lost it I would quickly replace it, because this album is one of my favorites by one of my favorite bands. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Kwyjibo2006, on july 08, 2009

Sound: Two years after the bands second release, entitled "Waking The Fallen", Avenged Sevenfold made their Warner Records debut with "City of Evil". Already being a band famous for incorporating the styles of heavy metal, punk, screamo and post-hardcore into their music, "City of Evil" easily mixes one other genre into their mix: Classic metal. This time around, Avenged chose to go for longer (the shortest song on the album is 5 minutes), more structured songs, with blasting drum beats and duel guitar solos peppering just about every track on the album. Gone is most of the screaming found on their first two albums replaced by lots more acoustic guitar and orchestral arrangements. This is something that may disappoint hardcore fans of the band, though M. Shadows' vocal work on "City of Evil" is more phenominal than ever. Synyster Gates has also improved astoundingly, with blistering solos throught the album. With 11 tracks clocking in at just over 73 minutes, some listeners may find "City of Evil" to be a bit too much, but this album marks not only the band's debut on a major label, but also their debut to becoming fully-fledged metalheads. Album highlights include the classic metal fury of "Burn It Down", the surprising breakout single of 2005, "Bat Country", the astonishing power ballad "Seize The Day" as well as the late-album highlight "The Wicked End". // 9

Lyrics: City of Evil's lyrics deal with the typical Avenged Sevenfold topics such as war and love, but while the album may not cover any new ground with the lyrics, M. Shadows' vocal work on the album is simply phenominal. Despite rumours of a surgery, Shadows has opted for the bands first album with all clean vocals. For the first time in the band's history, listeners will no longer be able to deny Shadows' amazing range and talent as a vocalist. The lyrics may be the same as they have always been, but M. Shadows brings new light to each and every song with quite simply the best metal vocal performance of 2005. // 9

Overall Impression: What Avenged Sevenfold have done with "City of Evil" is create an amazing album. One which will keep their diehard fans happy and also an album mainstream enough to attract a wide variety of new fans. Each band member has stepped up his game with this album, particularly vocally as well as the guitar work. This is definately the best album the band could make to make them one of the most important bands in the New Wave of American Heavy Metal. Without a doubt, "City of Evil" is one of the best, if not the best, metal album of 2005. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 24, 2009

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold have done it again. After the release of Waking the Fallen, their status was pretty good, but they moved to awesome. The sound is amazing, the harmonizing guitars are great, the drums are nice and fast, and M. Shadows is finally done screaming! Synyster Gates also does some really good solos on this album, from the emotion filled Seize the Day, to the evil Bat Country. The sound is a great blend of metal/hard rock. This album is where Avenged Sevenfold peaked, and just one listen and you can tell this is them at their best. This album is good for anyone who likes Hard Rock or Metal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well thought out and very meaningful. The best song lyric-wise would have to be M.I.A, with strong messages like "2 million soldiers can't be wrong", really make you think twice about the war we are in right now. M. Shadows also shows us his singing voice on this album, departing from his STST, WTF screaming days. And let's get it straight, he isn't the best singer, but his voice belongs in this band, and it sounds great combined with the guitars. But I do consider M. Shadows to expand his vocal range, but this works for now, and its better than screaming. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is amazing. The sound is great, and the songs are well written and thought out. I really like Waking the Fallen, and I can honestly say City of Evil is better. Its more melodic, and its pretty heavy too, but not as heavy as WTF. The best songs are definitely M.I.A, Trashed and Scattered, Seize the Day, Bat Country and Beast and the Harlot. The only thing I don't like about this album is you can hardly hear the bass. Johnny Christ is a good player, and needs to be heard a little more, but other than that I really liked this album. If I ever lost it I would quickly replace it, because this album is one of my favorites by one of my favorite bands. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: JboyFreshhh, on august 21, 2009

Sound: Well if you've been a fan of Avenged Sevenfold since the beginning, you can instantly tell that their sound has completely changed from Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen. Personally, being a huge fan, I enjoyed their approach to this album. Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance definitely stepped up to the challenge and created some amazing guitar riffs in every track on this album. Syn, by some mystic powers, creates unique and melodic solos throughout the whole album and of course The Reverend will always be The Reverend. Matt Shadows, however, took a different approach to this album. Instead of the scream filled Waking the Fallen album, he chooses singing, and trust me, this album is filled with countless vocal melodies, but many fans disliked his singing, but personally, I still loved it because it's still Avenged Sevenfold. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are amazing on this album. Matt Shadows and the band were actually creative unlike many other metal bands and found various topics to sing about such as war (M.I.A.) and Dimebag Darrell (Betrayed). The lyrics fit perfectly with each and every song on this album and you never question, "Hmmm that sounds kind of funny," whenever you listen to this. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this was an amazing album. Although their sound has changed drastically, for the better or for the worst, I can safely say that this album is amazing front to back. I can't really choose the most impressive songs because I enjoy all of them, but I would say that you should give Seize the Day a listen to because it has alot of emotion driven by acoustic guitars and a slash-like solo, which is amazing in my opinion and it ends with amazing sweeps. But my favorite song off this album has got to be M.I.A. This song has everything you can think of and then some. It's a perfect closer for an album. It starts off with a harmonized clean guitar riff (I love harmonies) and continues to crescendo into an amazing main riff with harmony lead parts and two amazing solos and ends with an amazing acoustic solo. I'm saying amazing alot aren't I? Well, it's true and I will not lie that I enjoyed this album alot and that you should take a listen to it. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2009

Sound: After the release of Waking the Fallen, Avenged Sevenfold's status was pretty well known, but now they're a common name around Hard Rock musicians, and they improved in their abilities to composes a great song. The sound is very nice, the harmonizing guitars are great, the drums are pounding and fast, and M. Shadows has finally quit his demonic screaming! Synyster Gates also does some really good solos on this album, from the emotion filled Seize the Day, to the evil-sounding Bat Country. The sound is a great blend of metal/hard rock. This album is where Avenged Sevenfold peaked, and just one listen and you can tell this is them at their best. This album is good for anyone who likes Hard Rock or Metal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well thought out and very meaningful. The best song lyric-wise would have to be M.I.A, with strong messages like "2 million soldiers can't be wrong", really make you think twice about the war we are in right now. M. Shadows also lets the world his singing voice on this album, departing from his previous screaming days. And let's get it straight, he isn't the best singer, but his voice belongs in this band, and it sounds great combined with the guitars. But I do consider M. Shadows to expand his vocal range, but this works for now, and it's better than screaming. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is very good and deserves a good listen. The sound is great, and the songs are well written and thought out. I really like Waking the Fallen, and I can honestly say City of Evil is better. It's more melodic, and it's pretty heavy too, but definitely not as heavy as their previous efforts. The best songs are definitely M.I.A, Trashed and Scattered, Seize the Day, Bat Country, and Beast and the Harlot. The only thing I don't like about this album is you can hardly hear the bass. Johnny Christ is a good player, and needs to be heard a little more, but other than that I REALLY liked this album. If I EVER lost it I would quickly replace it, because this album is one of my favorites by one of my favorite bands. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2010

Sound: This is the first Avenged Sevenfold album to feature no primarily screamed vocals. However the musical style is still the same and despite the change in vocals, the music is heavier. A lot of influence from previous metal bands like Iron Maiden and hints of Megadeth is used in the album and with added flare from Avenged Sevenfold, produced an amazing album. They have Fast and Furious tracks like Trashed and Scattered, Seize the day which is a slow song made up with mainly acoustic guitar and an awesome solo. Sidewinder, the seventh track starts with crunchy electric guitar and ends on a Spanish Guitar that dropped a lot of jaws. // 10

Lyrics: Although each song is individually about something different, the lyrics give the listener the opportunity to think up their own story line using the ordering of the songs. The tenth song, Betrayed, is about Dimebag Darrell and his death. 'Put a bullet in his back, your hero since you were so young.' The last song M.I.A. tells the story of a soldier who is coming back from war filled with guilt after having to kill someone. 'I walk the city lonely, memories that are now passing by.' M.Shadows' vocals on this album are amazing and in small bursts, he will change the whole song's regular pattern to add something else in, in Trashed and Scattered he sings, 'Well I never bothered with all the rumours too much garbage, all the same,' in which he sings in a more melodic way than throughout the rest of the song. The only thing I am going to pick up on is at the end of M.I.A. where his voice sounds a bit weird, but other than that, he is amazing // 9

Overall Impression: In comparison with the other Avenged Sevenfold albums, (which are also very good) this is by far my favourite. My favourite three songs in order are Trashed And Scattered, Sidewinder and Betrayed, but the other eight song are definitely in my favourite fifty songs of all time. The thing I and other people love so much is the fact that the solos are well thought out not just constant, 'widdling,' the drumming is not just constant double kick drum throughout the whole song, and the singer has not completely abandoned screaming, as you can hear screaming in some of the backing vocals. This album is a prime example of why avenged sevenfold are not 'sell-outs.' They have kept the same sound as sounding of the seventh trumpet, in fact darker and heavier, but the singer is actually doing his job in this album, singing. If I lost this album, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: s12k17, on january 12, 2011

Sound: I love Avenged Sevenfold's music, and its mostly because of the sound. I am a guitar kind of guy and really pay attention to this. Out of all the albums they've recorded, I think this is the best sounding album in terms of instruments. This is when they began to really incorperate a lot of more difficult harmonies along with powerful riffs. The solos were amazing but I did find they dragged on some of the sections of their songs where they could have put in something different. The use of clean to lead in many songs was very effective to me. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were fantastic in most parts, lacking in others. First off I'd like to say M.Shadows put down an absolutely amazing vocal record going to new levels here. This being the last avenged sevenfold record I purchased (I own them all) I could really compare them. The lyrics were powerful and really spoke to most people. They made it sound like they were spilling out their feelings about the world and their inner feeling. That is something that really stood out to me. I thought lyric wise, trashed and scattered was amazing as well as M.I.A, and Bat country. You can tell alot of effort was put into the lyrics. Things did get cheesy with Strength of the World though. Overall, pretty awesome. // 8

Overall Impression: Probably the best effort I've seen out of Avenged Sevenfold to date. I'm going to go through each song individually: 01. Beast And The Harlot: Wow. Not much else to say. Perfect core riff, perfect intro, perfect chorus, perfect solo, no wonder this song has stood the test of time thus far. /10 02. Burn It Down: I love this song as well. The lyrics are what makes this song. The solo is cool too but the vocal performance in this song is what makes it for most people. /9 03. Blinded In Chains: An overhyped song. Everyone I talk to says they like this song as one of the best but personally I don't. I have a blinded in chains t-shirt but the song is lacking to me./6 04. Bat Country: A classic. I felt like it was a bit choppy and repetative but pretty cool anyways. I love the music video for it too:) A pretty cool concept too. Pretty simple playing wise, solos a bit difficult but Shadows carries the band in this one until the solo. Overall, an amazing song though. /9 05. Trashed And Scattered: A personal favorite and I wish they'd play it live more. I love the chorus. 'Sedated night to the bar room fights as metropolis takes its toll' may be my fav line on the album. I'm not sure why, it just sound cool. I did feel though the song to be a bit 'scattered at times'. It could have used some cleaning up. Even though it's one of my favourites, it doesn't get the highest grade. /8 06. Seize The Day: The first lighter song on the album. Now that the revs gone, it really hits you when listening. Very heartfelt solo along with closing lyrics. The chorus gets powerful the second and third time. And Mr.Gates proves to the world he may the best sweep picker ever near the end. I do enjoy this song live much better when they incorperate the revs vocals as well. /9 07. Sidewinder: An interesting song to say the least. About him being snake... It talks about mankind nowadays in other words. Kind of confusing, you'll just have to listen for yourself. The closing solo and duel to me was really cool. Extremely fast and difficult to play. Got kind of repetative at times. /7 08. The Wicked End: An interesting story line. Basically is sang about the End. 'Dust the apple off, savour each bite, Deep inside you know Adam was right' is a pretty deep line to me. Not a personal favourite but pretty cool anyways. /8 09. Strength Of The World: Probably my least favourite. The intro is too long and cheesy for me as well as the repeated part of the chorus 'Strength of the World'. I thought it was stretched on too long. /5 10. Betrayed: For Dimebag. I don't listen to this song much. I find it a little boring. But it has a pretty cool meaning. To me, its that forgotten song that every album has. Not that memorable to me but is still good. /7 11. M.I.A: Really cool but took me a while to like. Intro is way too long for my liking. But once the intro ends the song becomes amazing and the way M.Shadows comes in at about 1:30, wow. You can feel it. '2 million soldiers can't be wrong! ' great line and really makes sense to me. The outro is a lot like the intro and leaves a lot to be desired. The main riff in this song is one of those things you just can't get out of your head. A great way to end the album. /9 Listening to this album last made me realize how different all of the albums are. This one would probably relate most to their self-titled album. Its hard to say its the best because of the diversity but I can say it was pretty amazing. This album in my mind really defines Avenged Sevenfold. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Vector Darkness, on march 29, 2011

Sound: Sound: I have to say, this album really kicked ass! The gritty, heavy, melodic sounds really give you a vibe that'll want to make you get up off your feet and try and rock out alongside them! This album was a real step up from Waking The Fallen; where WTF had great tracks, and a hardcore, heavy sound to it, City of Evil really steps the mark up with singing, with screaming in the background on such tracks like Beast And The Harlot and Bat Country. Going by what each song itself represents, the overall CD moral is how the world around us has changed, becoming "more corrupt" and the tyranny we follow in is taking control. I can defiantly see, though, especially in 'Betrayed', influences by Pantera in the melodic guitar riffs. TRACK LIST: 01: Beast And The Harlot; With inspiration from a short story in the bible, its amazing how they took it and turned it into a piece of modern music art. There's no messing abut with this album either. This song is the introductory song for the rest of the album and it jumps you straight into a melodic, heavy intro, not long before you get thrusted into a blend of bass, riffs and kick ass drumming. The opening scream in the background gives me shivers every time I hear this song, setting an atmosphere for the overall feel of the album. The solo is one of a kind, showing Gates at his best. 10/10 02: Burn It Down; B.A.T.H graduates into this song with a heavy drum and low sound guitar opening, and the solo is fast, quick, slick and not forgetting memorable. Unfortunatly, I feel the pre verse's are too Punk rock for me, but thats my taste. That doesnt differ from the rest of the feel. 9/10 03: Blinded In Chains; A intro similar to Burn It Down, it sets a feel straight away with the drums pounding at you fast and heavy! A political orientated song, its heavy and angry, and you can feel the passion in the drums, hear it in the lyrics. Its one of the best tracks on the album. 9/10 04: Bat Country; One of the first singles released for promoting the album, and inspired by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, its a unique song. The drums in the pre verse are off beat and fun to listen to, and the intro to the song is just brilliant. There are soft bridges to the track where you get prepared to get thrown back into a mosh of music. The solo tops off the whole track, its breakdown is clean and amazing, and Syn definatly shows off his skills. 10/10 05: Trashed And Scattered; A song that bridges between the two ends of the album! Its very stylistic and original, and you won't find another song like this anywhere else. Its especially unique chorus fronts the whole song. 9/10 06: Seize The Day; A ballad. And that is all. A brilliant ballad at that, too. Its soft acoustic throughout is memorable to say the least, and Syn is the icing on the cake with an emotional, soft electric solo. 10/10 07: Sidewinder; Who else but Avenged Sevenfold could make a song about a snake and get away with such brilliance? Its stylistic introduction forebodes its awesome riffs. The first of their long tracks of the second part of the album, its a heart lifting, yet melancholy track. Its heavy throughout, until you reach the solo, put right at the end. And its acoustic. And it's played by Synyster's father. What else could you want? 10/10 08: The Wicked End; Another biblical orientated song. The song throughout is classic City Of Evil sounding, and then you reach the chorus, with an orchestra to fill a small space of time. Original, and yet a nice song to listen to. Unfortunately, a little too on the fast, heavy side. Still, 9/10 09: Strength of the World; The intro gives it a a western-film like feel. An emotionally based track about someone who has lost their family, its not Seize The Day emotional, but anger emotional. different, and amazing. 9/10 10: Betrayed; In memory of Darrell, 'Dimebag' Darrell, the guitar phenomenon of Pantera. Its a nice song, with soft chorus'. 10/10 11: M.I.A; The end song of the album, it's definatly a nice end song. A song of war, it tells a short story of someone who goes Missing In Action, 'living another day in disguise'. The end of the song gives the album a perfect ending, and the anticipation for their next album is due straight after the artwork of this CD is heard. Synyster's solo is also amazing, with no bass behind it but drums and rhythm. 10/10. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are easy to sing to, nice to listen to, and are outstandingly written. Well done to Shadows for such good singing, he deliver's the words well enough to be heard and understood at the same time, hard to achieve. They melody with the music too well, which is why I'm giving him a 10/10. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't, but does compare. Its one of hundreds of albums that get released ever year, but to be made gold means something. It deserves to hit gold, and deserves to be called their best album to date, closely followed, in my opinion, by Nightmare, then Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, Avenged Sevenfold, then Waking The Fallen. Is a cut above the rest when it comes to music. The most impressive songs have to be Beast And The harlot, Bat Country, Sidewinder and M.I.A, simply because their just too original, yet they work together so well! I love it all, and hate nothing, and if it were to get stolen, yes. I would buy another copy. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: Reaper/chaos, on april 21, 2011

Sound: This album I found to be quite entertaining. Almost every song on this album was great. It had more of a fast demonic beat through every song. I found that the first song was deffinetly an attention grabber which is actually a very famous song now. (Beast and the Harlot) I did however notice that most of the songs had a lot of the same qualities, but then I noticed... ITS Avenged Sevenfold! Its gonna sound like Avenged Sevenfold! // 10

Lyrics: Most of the Lyrics were quite beautifly put. Though I must admit this is not an album for a Pentacostal... Its got quite a few biblical refrences that would make a preacher cry, but thats just what we want. The lyrics went pefectly with the rest of the song as most of the drums and guitar were absolute destruction (in a good way) the lyrics were there to paint the beautiful picture of absolute chaos into your mind, which they did good at. The singer's talent was great to! There were pleanty of parts where I was stunned just by the singer's talent alone. I must admit the song I liked the vocals in best is Seize The Day. // 10

Overall Impression: Well its deffinetly my favorite A7X album, but as far as what does it compare to? Well I don't know many albums that had every song worth listening to, but if I had to pick one... I would say it was about as good as Metallica's Black album. The most immpresssive songs in the album were Beast and the Harlot, Bat Country, Strength of the World, Blinded In Chains, Burn it Down, and Seize the Day. What I loved about it... The guitar was mindblowing throughout the whole album, as were the drums! Altoghether the album was a complete perfection. // 10

City Of Evil Reviewed by: SGstriker, on december 15, 2011

Sound: Before I start this review, I have to say that I am amazed that this the first review ever made for this album on UG. So I'll try my best to summarize the strengths and weaknesses of A7X's breakout album. The album starts out with what I feel is one of the strongest tracks on the album: "Beast And The Harlot". The chugging main riff in the song is enough to make any metal-head headbang themselves silly. The chugging riffs continue throughout the album, but the band isn't afraid to go soft as well, as evidenced by the melodic bridge/end of "Bat Country" and the only real "ballad" on the album, "Seize The Day". Throughout the album, Synyster Gates never fails to produce an amazing solo. His solo in "Beast In The Harlot" is superb, and his solo in "Seize The Day" really shows how influenced he is by Slash of Guns N' Roses. The album closes with "MIA", a real "epic" with a clean dueling rhythm guitar intro and a verse by M. Shadows which sets the tone for the rest of the song about a soldiers in war and their experiences. The song ends the way it begins, with Shadows delivering what I feel is one of his best vocal performances on the album. It's not so much that it is technically amazing, but that it fits the mood of the song so well. Overall, the mix is very well done. My only real complaint about anything on the album sound-wise is that the drum tones can sometimes sound a little computerized, particularly the snare drum. This isn't a knock on The Rev's drumming abilities, because he really shines on this album. I'm just not a fan of the drum tone (excluding the bass drum, which I really enjoy). // 9

Lyrics: Lyrical themes on the album include biblical themes of destruction, drugs, war and politics, and death. I have to say that the lyrics are usually pretty average, though there are shining moments on the album, such as the final verse of "MIA", and "Seize The Day". Overall, the lyrics do a good job of adding to the music without standing out over the music. However, Shadows delivery certainly adds a substantial factor to otherwise average lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: 01. "Beast And The Harlot": A great way to open the album. The song starts off rather strangely at first listen, but at about the :25 it kicks into high-gear. The chugging riff during the verses is one of my favorite riffs on the entire album. The chorus is a nice change from the heaviness of the verses with a key change and a little widdly guitar line by Synyster Gates. It kicks into an amazing solo by Gates and the song continues on with more verses and choruses as well as a nice little drum solo by The Rev. It ends with the same strange vibe as it began. Overall, an a-s-kicking way to start off the album. 02. "Burn It Down": "Beast And The Harlot" segues into "Burn It Down" with some guitar slides into a chugging guitar intro. After the intro comes one of the band's trademark dueling guitar lines between Zacky Vengeance and Synyster Gates. The song continues chugging on through the verses with Shadows spitting rapid fire. Into the chorus comes about a trillion layers of vocals (Okay, not literally, but it seems like it). A lot of M. Shadows. At first, it kinda threw me off, but I've grown to really enjoy it. The song continues chugging on through another verse and an extended chorus before going into a pretty neat little breakdown-type thing. After this, it goes intoI dunno what I'd call it... Maybe a bridge? Followed by a short solo by Gates and another chorus before the song ends. Overall, not a bad song, though not a standout. I don't skip it in the car, but I don't skip TO it either. 03. "Blinded In Chains": Segues from the end of "Burn It Down". It starts off very similarly to "Burn It Down" with a chugged riff into a dueling solo between Zacky and Syn. After this, there is a pretty random solo before going into a groovy verse. Shadows sings of political corruption, and delivers it nicely. The chorus in this song is really catchy. There are a lot of vocal layers in the verses, but it's not as distracting as it was in "Burn It Down". After a pretty random (but cool) drum fill by The Rev, there's an awesome bridge, which is the highlight of the song in my opinion. The song ends with a bass groove and a pretty spacey sounding verse which fades out with the rest of the song. Overall, I really dig this song. It picks up where "Burn It Down" kind of falls short. 04. "Bat Country": Here's the song that we all remember hearing nonstop on the radio (at least I remember it anyways). Despite being overplayed, this is still really good song. It's very uptempo, and it keeps you listening. The chorus is damn catchy, and the melodic bridges flow very nicely after the intense chorus'. Gates delivers a great solo, and The Rev is great as usual. Despite being overplayed, I have to stress that this is a great song. 05. "Trashed And Scattered": This song starts out with a bang after the way "bat Country" ends. The verses have a sort of call-and-response thing going with them which is pretty interesting. I love the bass in this song by Johnny Christ in the pre-choruses. It grooves nicely. One of my complaints in this song is the random "Play your game and walk away!" part that happens at random. The song just stops all of a sudden and this part happens. I've listened to it many times and it still hasn't grown on me. Later in the song, there's a pretty cool "breakdown" followed by one of my personal favorite vocal deliveries by Shadows. The song ends nicely, despite the random insanity that happens earlier in the song. I do find myself skipping the song occasionally, but it's not bad at all. 06. "Seize The Day": The first (and only) ballad of the album. I really enjoy this song. I find the lyrics to be very well written, and Shadow's emotional delivery really conveys the sadness and regret in the song. Syn also has a great solo in the song. The chorus is very catchy as well. Definitely the song you'd hold your lighter in the air to at the concert. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to this song, so I find myself skipping it at times, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it's a good song. 07. "Sidewinder": This song has a pretty neat riff during the verse. One of my favorites on the album. It also has a very catchy chorus. The lead guitar lines are also pretty neat. At about 2:30, the song changes time signature for a really neat effect before changing back and speeding up. There's a pretty cool dueling solo later in the song before going back into the chorus over an acoustic guitar. I love this transition in the song. It ends with an acoustic dueling solo between Syn and his father, who guests stars on the album. Overall, it's a decent song, but it can really drag on after a while. I do skip this one fairly often. 08. "The Wicked End": This song starts off with some random bass groove before going into a dueling widdly guitar thing. It then thrashes into a heavy verse before going into a melodic chorus. It continues with another verse and chorus before going into a bridge followed by a really good solo by Gates. I think it's probably his most underrated solo on the album. Following the solo comes my favorite part of the song. A clean guitar comes in playing arpeggios higher up on the neck. Then, a cello comes in with a harp and some choir voices. Before you know it, a full-fledged symphony is in the mix. The first time I heard this part, I eargasmed. After the symphony, it transfers into a verse which follows the same sort of mood the symphony left with. I really like how this part of the song flowed. The song returns to the heavy thrashy verse (somehow) and ends after one last chorus. Overall, this song surprised me. I really enjoyed it's transitions. 09. "Strength Of The World": This song starts with a very western cowboy sort of vibe. It then transitions into a pretty heavy section with a pretty cool-sounding guitar riff. I enjoy M. Shadow's delivery on this song. To be honest, my only complaint on this song is the backing "gang" vocals. They almost sound like a barking dog to me, and it hasn't really grown on me at all. I do find it kind of hard to not skip this song sometimes though, considering it goes on for about 9 and a half minutes. The highlight of the song is at about 5:30 when it transitions into a melodic verse with an acoustic guitar. The song returns to it's hard-rocking vibe after this. Not a bad song. Not special though. 10. "Betrayed": This is probably my least favorite song on the album. It's about Dimebag Darrel and his murderer. Nothing really stands out for me on this song however. 11. "MIA": This song starts out with a clean dueling rhythm guitar and a verse from Shadows about soldiers in the war. The song goes into a heavy verse with more descriptions of the plight of a soldier in the war. Great riffage during these heavy verses. The chorus leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion, but it definitely isn't bad. The bridge in the middle of the song is pretty intense, and the solo following that is really nice. The song ends the way it began with soft dueling guitars and a somber verse from Shadows. I love the chord changes in the outro. Finally, the song ends with an acoustic guitar solo that fades out. Great song. Great way to end the album. Overall, this album is really good. It has it's fillers like most albums do, but the strong songs are STRONG. I would buy it again if it got stolen (in fact, I'm pretty sure it got lost somewhere, so I'll probably have to buy it again). Also, I do have to say, my favorite A7X albums in order are: "Nightmare" "COE" Self-titled "WTF" "SotST" // 8

City Of Evil Reviewed by: hvymtldrmz1392, on december 16, 2011

Sound: This album is a huge step forward for the guys in Avenged Sevenfold. Shadows' work with a vocal coach Ron Anderson prior to recording the album really shines through as he harnesses the raw power heard on the first two albums to give listeners a raw, yet very melodic, new sound. The entire album very much features melodies, lyrical and otherwise, as well as a more balanced twin-axe attack by Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance, whose harmonized leads really give the band its own signature sound. With this transition Avenged Sevenfold cross over from the metalcore genre into the more accessible hard rock/ heavy metal vein, a move that defines their musical direction for years to come. This is, in my opinion, their best work so far, with musical styles ranging from a full out metal anthem in "Beast And The Harlot" to a grandiose symphonic sound in "Strength Of The World" to a lonely, sorrowful guitar in "M.I.A." // 10

Lyrics: Talk of the fall of man, eternal damnation, war, death, and love? Not exactly the most shocking choice of subject matter for the genre, but it all fits extremely well. The instrumental tracks all fall into place behind a solid, dynamic vocal performance by M. Shadows. It's hard to believe the same voice belting out the fire-and-brimstone lyrics of "Beast And The Harlot" can convey the fear and agonizing guilt that permeates "M.I.A." A little more originality would do wonders for the album, but still an impressive performance by the front man. // 8

Overall Impression: As Avenged Sevenfold step into the ever-broadening world of hard rock and metal, this effort sets them firmly in their own category of music. The blend of heavy, grinding metal riffs and well thought-out harmonies gives them a versatility beyond that of most bands in the genre as they redefine themselves as a band. Most of you who read this probably already know the huge hits from this album, namely "Beast And The Harlot", "Bat Country", and "Seize The Day", but the songs in which I think the whole band really shines are "M.I.A." and "Strength Of The World". There are lots of bands that do metal very well, but these songs show that little something extra that puts Avenged Sevenfold in a league of their own. If this album were lost or stolen, I would definitely replace it. It's a great show of talent by a young group that will likely only continue to get better. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: g.chandler95, on may 31, 2012

Sound: It is no secret that Avenged Sevenfold have created one of the most unique tones in hard rock that you will find out there today. This is the bands third studio album and is entirely different from the previous two; they have lost their metalcore roots and have decided to go for a cutting melodic rock approach. "City Of Evil" is the bands major record label debut on Warner Bros. Records. Produced by the combination of Mudrock and Sevenfold themselves, this is a ground-breaking rock album from the Californian quintet. // 9

Lyrics: There are many different songs on the album of which various lyrical inspirations has been sought. The album opens with the song entitled "Beast And The Harlot". The bands front man, M. Shadows, wrote the lyrics for this song and based it on the fall of Babylon (taken from the New Testament Book of Revelation). Quotes from the chapter such as "Seven headed beast, ten horns raise from his head" can be found within the song. There is one song on the album that stands out in terms of lyrical compassion. The song entitled "Betrayed" was again written by the bands lead singer Shadows and is the penultimate song on the album. The lyrics within this song are based on the death of the legendary Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell. Dimebag's inspiration toward the band is epitomized by the lyrics "In my dreams it's me and you, it's there I saw it all come true." Track number 4 on the album is quintessentially unique. Based on the book "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas" by Dr Hunter S Thompson. The lyrics are effectively a condensed version of the book for the 5 minutes it lasts for. Quotes from the book, for instance, "He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man", are found throughout the song. The music video features clips from the 1998 film adaptation staring Johnny Depp. As the song draws to close we feel that we have been on a journey with the Gonzo journalist Thompson and feelings of euphoria and melancholy are dramatically contrasted throughout, excellently conveyed not just by the lyrics, but also the music as well. // 8

Overall Impression: There are no obvious comparisons to make between this album and other hard rock ones out there. Inspirations appear to have been explored from the progressive rock band Dream Theater. Avenged Sevenfold's lead guitarist, Synyster Gates, plays a very similar style to Dream Theater's guitarist John Petrucci and Iron Maiden's Dave Murray. Sevenfold's drummer Jimmy Sullivan (The Rev) appears to explore the techniques employed by DT drummer Mike Portnoy. Shadows (Avenged Sevenfold's front man) possesses the voice type of a high baritone and sings in a gritty, often aggressive style, similar to that of Metallica's James Hetfield. In terms of genre, there is a comparison to be made between "City Of Evil" and Bullet For My Valentine's "The Poison", in regards of guitar licks and drum fills. Stand out songs on the album are: the opening track, "Beast And The Harlot"; the fourth song, "Bat Country"; one of the most empathetic songs on the album, "Seize The Day"; the seven minute song, "Sidewinder", which employs Spanish inspirations toward the end and the final song based on war, "M.I.A." I believe that "City Of Evil" is a modern rock classic, however there is one minor fault. The texture of certain songs can become too thick at times and although it does - to a certain degree - add depth to the songs, it also means that during live performances of songs such as "Bat Country" (which is extremely rich in terms of texture) often feels to be lacking compared to the studio version which has roughly 5 guitar tracks and only two can be played live by Synyster Gates and Zacky V. // 9

City Of Evil Reviewed by: djmattila, on july 03, 2012

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold has always been known as an "alternative metal" band, and time after time they not only seem to set a standard for the band, but for the genre itself. They are unique in almost every way; From Matt's rough vocals, to Jimmy's fast-paced drum beats. City of Evil was a huge change in Avenged Sevenfold's overall musical flavor, which, prior to then, was more of an early "metalcore" type sound. The whole album was great. I took very clear notice of the Hispanic rhythm influences, as featured on "Sidewinder" and "Seize The Day" and many other experimental selections are also noted throughout the album such as the intro to "Strength Of The World". I Have to say, I'm Impressed. The Album was very underrated, and in my, definition, set a high standard for experimental metal. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics themselves were very interesting. I took note that they were either "very dark" or "very light". In songs such as "Beast And The Harlot" and "The Wicked End", Matt sings of demons, killing kings, rape, and many other dark subjects, and in songs such as "Seize The Day" and "Betrayed", he sings of lust, that special someone, and love itself. A great diversity, but lacks a medium. The lyrics matched the music in such an amazing way that you could literally tell what Matt was singing about based on the general tone of the guitar and drums. That's something that is amazingly hard to pull off. Kudos to Avenged Sevenfold on that one. Matt's singing was another thing about the album that set a higher standard for the band, Considering their previous albums lacked any vocal melody. Matt Worked with a vocal trainer for several months before the albums release, and the lessons paid off! // 8

Overall Impression: The album as a whole was nothing but amazing. It is by far their most creative album yet. I was most impressed by 3 songs in particular, "Blinded In Chains", "Sidewinder", and "Betrayed". They were very experimental, as was the rest of the album, and that's what I love about it. However, every up has a down. If I could change one thing about the album, I would take a huge chunk out of the songs, "The Wicked End" and "MIA". They're both considerably long, which is not a problem. The problem is, they ramble like crazy, and that is something you really want to keep away from when writing a song, but that doesn't change the fact that they were still great songs (in the parts where I was awake haha). The album is one of a kind, and is nothing short of a diamond in the rough. I don't know what I'd do without it. I'd probably go buy a hindered copies just to support the band, and I'd give them to people on the street. It's worth the money. I recommend you buy it too! // 9

More Avenged Sevenfold reviews rating latest review