Sounding The Seventh Trumpet Review

avenged sevenfold: Sounding The Seventh Trumpet
Released: Jul 24, 2001
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal
Sounding the Seventh Trumpet is a magnificent album that is suitable for any fan of metal music, as Avenged Sevenfold has a firm grasp on all that is extreme.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 8.5
 8.9
 8.1
Sounding The Seventh Trumpet Reviewed by: HXC_Slamming, on march 04, 2005

Sound: Ok, this is Avenged Sevenfold's first full length album. STST is absolutely insane! Almost every song on here is pure gold, even the intro track which sadly, has the only solo on the CD STST has a great blend of screaming (done quite well by M. Shadows), an awesome mix of everything from punk to death metal (preformed by Synester Gates, Zachy Vengeance, and bassist Johnny Christ), and mind blowing kick beats by The Rev. On another note, these fools play great in concert, I saw them at warped '04 and almost pooped my pants when I saw them play eternal rest (which is on WTF). // 10

Lyrics: Great metaphors (I think thats what it is not to good with english), though some parts are wierd. I quote from 'We Come Out At Night' - "A siliouete stands still, a cactus on a warm summer night," and then 'The Art Of Subconsience Illusion' - "Punching through jell-o, stabbing not killing, dissapointment, discomfort." Other than those two incidents, this album is riddled with enough meaningfull screams to scare off Jehova Witnesses from 2 miles away. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, this was an amazing album, much props to A7X for thier work here. The best songs on here would have to be, "Lips Of Deciept," "To End The Rapture," the cover of "Streets," and "Darkness Surrounding." There aren't any bad things about this album. I don't think. And if it were lost I'd be pissed off because I don't have 12$. // 10

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 04, 2005

Sound: This is Avenged Sevenfold's first album and is hardcore to the max. You'll be ready to bang your head after hearing the opening track, To End The Rapture, with a bad ass solo but is the only one on the album. This is an album that has the sound of bands like Atreyu and As I Lay Dying and not to mention M. Shadows screams his head out on this album. Breaking Their Hold is the fastest and most in your face song on the album and is only a minute and a half long. Of course the guitar work doesn't compare to City Of Evil but synester and Zacky get the job done. The Rev also does some nice drumwork and plays way too fast which sounds awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics on this album are about death and other dark things but most of the time you can't understand a word M. Shadows screams out. One song lyrically stands out which is Shattered by Broken Dreams which talks about getting your girl to stop drinking and get her life back together. There's also a ballad on this album Warmness On The Soul and is as emo as it can get the song is mostly Shadows singing and played by piano until a small solo comes in towards the end. The song after it, An Epic Wasted Of Time, is about having a bad break up and relizing in the end she was a waste of f--ing time! They also pull the old school punk sound off on Streets which I hear is a cover song. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is an awesome one that'll have you headbanging for hours. The best tracks on it are To End The Rapture, Turn The Other Way, Darkness Surrounding, Lips Of Deceit, An Epic Waste Of Time, Breaking Their Hold, and Shattered By Broken Dreams with acoustics in the begining and turning into another hadcore song. If you can try to look for the demo version of this album, which is when they were with Goodlife records before being picked up by Hopeless. M. Shaddow's voice sounds like a dog barking but the demo version of Lips Of Deceit still rocks. If I had it stolen I'd buy it again. // 10

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet Reviewed by: H3@VY_M3T@l_F@N, on may 01, 2006

Sound: The sound on the guitars was great. The drums were very difficult sounding but the bass was hard to hear. The styles that they used are playing on the bottom strings for about 1/3 of the song, then a solo, then on the bottom strings again for the last of the song in most cases. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were ok but they were tough to understand. He screams and its hard to tell what he's screaming but the little booklet that comes with the CD has the lyrics in it. The lyrics (the way he goes up and down) goes along very well with their music. His skills at singing are very good but he needed to work on his screaming (he can't anymore because he had to have neck surgery). // 6

Overall Impression: This album is about average compared to other albums like this (screaming). The most impressive songs are To End The Rapture because of the intro solo, The Art of Subconscious Illusion because of the riff towards the beginning, and Wrmness on the Soul because everyone needs at least one soft song on an album and that's thiers. // 9

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet Reviewed by: XoP, on september 11, 2006

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's sound on this album is quite impressive. Although it sounds nothing like Waking the Fallen or City of Evil, the sound is still awesome. There are only two solo's on this album, "To End The Rapture" which Synyster Gates does, and "Warmness On The Soul" which Zacky Vengeance does. Both are awesome solo's, especially Synyster's, which he taps the last half of it. The Reverend goes pretty crazy on this album, my favorite track with some awesome drum patterns in my opinion would have to be "Darkness Surrounding." During the song, the guitars kind of fade away and the bass is playing the rhythm and the rev is just going crazy, it's amazing! The guitar's sound awesome on this album, they have a nice crunch in their sound, and they have some awesome riffs in their songs. Also, like said above, you couldn't hear the bass that much unless the drums were playing only or there was a bass solo lick. // 10

Lyrics: I'm not the type of person who pays attention to the lyrics much or tries to understand what they are saying, but when it comes to Avenged Sevenfold, I must understand what they are saying. They have some very meaningful stuff, although the lyrics aren't as good as WtF or CoE, they are still powerful. His screams are bone chilling and his singing is powerful and melodic. I personally think he is one of the best singers of our time. // 10

Overall Impression: overall this album is amazing! Some of my favorite tracks would have to be "To End The Rapture", "Darkness Surrounding", "Lips Of Deceit", "Warmness On The Soul", "Thick And Thin", and "Shattered By Broken Dreams." Buy this album! you will not be disappointed! It is truly a one-of-a-kind album! // 10

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on february 23, 2007

Sound: Overall this CD is extremely good, Avenged Sevenfold is a talented band. One of the really good parts is the thunderstorm they have throughout the album, which ties the CD together nicely. As far as songs are concerned, SST starts off with a cool intro song (To End The Rapture), and then goes into Turn the Other Way, which just plain rocks. After a few more songs, the CD takes a turn with Warmness on the Soul, a really soft but still cool ballad thrown in the middle. Late on the CD Thick and Thin is a standout, and a cover of Successful Failure's Streets song follows. As far as the band members are concerned. Matt Shadows, vocals, Matt does a really good job of fitting screaming and melodic singing into the music, and his voice is a perfect sound for the band. Zacky Vengeance/Synyster Gates, guitars, Synyster only appears on To End the Rapture, but tears it up with a sick solo. Zacky does the rest of the guitar work, and songs like Turn the other Way, Art of Subconsious Illusion, and Thick and Thin are made amazing by the guitar riffs. Justin Sane, bass, Justin plays the bass on the CD after Dameon Ash left (or whatever happened) the band, and sails through parts like the Streets intro riff and does a good job backing up Zacky. The Reverend, Tholomew Plague was also on this CD, but I'm not sure which songs exactly, so I'll throw them together. The drum solo in the middle of Darkness Surrounding puts other solos to shame, and the other songs also have solid A+ drumming by whoever was playing. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Shadows does a perfect job on the CD, using screaming and singing to his advantage in the right spots. The lyrics match up with the dark mood of the music, too, lines like "Turn The Other Way" sound really cool on this CD. Matt also does a good job singing on "Warmness on the Soul", even though his voice gets a tad whiny, but that's overlookable. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definetly one of the best metal albums I have ever heard, and I'm sure it will continue to sell more copies with the band's success with City of Evil. The CD is irreplacable, and there isn't a flaw on it. Not everyone who likes City Of Evil will like it, however, but if you like metal even a little bit, this is a must own CD to get ASAP. // 10

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet Reviewed by: Grayfox176, on july 03, 2007

Sound: The first studio release, a very impressive album, especially considering that the band members were about 17-18 during the time it was first released. It lacks the very impressive harmonics in guitars from the other two CD's, but that's to be expected, seeing as how the band had only one guitarist, until it's re-release, in which the only song re-recorded was the first, to have an insane solo put in. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics here were definitely more emo than the other albums, but that is to be expected with a band like this during the first release. Personally, the screams do sometimes annoy me a little, as they sound almost like Shadows it stuffing the microphone into his mouth and just screaming noises that sound like lyrics from time to time, a pet peeve I have always had. // 7

Overall Impression: The screams can be a bit annoying at times, but the overall dark, metal, sound and the raw emotion are more than enough to make up for this. I'd recommend listening to it. By far, the best songs here have to be "Warmness on the Soul," "An Epic Of Time Wasted," and "Turn The Other Way." It also shows that Zacky Vengeance, the only guitarist at this time, is still more than just a rhythm guitarist, and can still hold his own in the world of metal and the many sub-genres that make it up. // 9

More Avenged Sevenfold reviews rating latest review