Waking The Fallen Review

artist: avenged sevenfold date: 05/18/2012 category: compact discs
avenged sevenfold: Waking The Fallen
Released: Aug 26, 2003
Genre: Rock
Mudrock's dry production focuses almost all of Waking The Fallen on Avenged Sevenfold's greatest strength.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.6
 9.8
 9.3
Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: fade2black2004, on december 07, 2005

Sound: I first heard the song "Unholy Confessions" from a friend and I knew right away I had to have this CD. The two guitarist are really really good I couldnt belive I hadnt heard of them before because they were so good, very diffrent style then most music out today, and the drummer just goes crazy on the set. This album made me think of a new age young Metallica. and yess the name does have to do with the bible but dont let that mislead you they are not a christian band (for thoose who dont know the name came from god telling cain that he would be avenged seven times for the murder of his brother). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing, alot diffrent from most I've heard in a long time. The lyrics arent straight forward, you can tell that there is some kind of hidden message for you to interperate. M Shadows has such an amazing voice imo, he does it all, the screaming, the soft, that crunch, all the voices he does perfectly. The music wouldn't fit any better with anyone else beside Shadows, I have to say this is one of the most talented bands to come out in a long ass time and they were needed desperatly. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my personal favorite cd of all A7X's CDs. I think this album is better then any other album to come out in its genra in the past two years. My favorite song is "Chapter Four" a bad ass screamfilled song about Cain and Abel (I think thats how you spell it) that is just wow. There is absolutley nothing I hate about this album, I love every single thing about it from the artwork to the CD, to the case, I just love it all. If it were stolen I would track down the person who took it and I would slit their throat and take it back. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: dandyhandy17, on november 28, 2007

Sound: My cousin's close friend first showed me "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold. I heard and heard the guitar jamming with pinch harmonics, palm muting and harmony and after the first two minutes I knew I had to get this CD. Before I did, I investigated more through this punk, screamo rock musical group and listened to Eternal Rest, Chapter Four, Radiant Eclipse, and a song that is in another album, "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet" Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance, the guitarists of the band and their teamwork is absolutely amazing with their harmonies. The Rev is banging those drums and he's good! M. Shadows, the main singer is tearing the microphone. Their bass player is great also; Johnny Christ. The opener Waking the Fallen is quick and short has a great melody and the singer sings like you can fell the voice ringing through your ears. For a short song, it beats many others! There has been gossip going around one of the compact disc's best song "Chapter Four" and has two harmonized melodies, are Rhythm man Zacky moves his power chords around everywhere from my sound impression and in the intro the Rev goes crazy! He hits 4 per second with his other hand hitting the crash three times in quarters. To me, the Rev and Neil Peart are the two drum legends! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing and good toned; The group's singers has a completely different voice and their voices makes a great combination. The main singer M. Shadows has a high pitched sound and is the screamo singer. However, he has his disadvantages. One is a voice with no lyrics but sings with a very high but harmonic voice. The last has a low voice; which in my impression has the best voice. Most of their songs are very depressing and sad. In Eternal Rest, the song is telling the story is about children in poverty and is suffering and tells it with detail. Once again in Chapter Four, the low, the scream, and the high make the song a great way to say that Avenged Sevenfold is truly the best! Once again in Chapter Four, the low, the scream, and the high makes the song a great way to say that Avenged Sevenfold is truly the best! // 8

Overall Impression: To me out of the CD's (Waking The Fallen & Sounding The Seventh Trumpet) I have, this one is the best one of all! I think it's impressive because in "I won't see you tonight," the group were so psyched out about making a song that they had to make a part 1 and part 2! I love it because it's a hardcore, metal core band and I can compare it to the band Bullet For My Valentine; has a screamer, high voice singer, and a good low singer. There is nothing I hate about it at all! If my CD was lost, I would buy a new one. If someone stole it; I suggest the thief opens their eyes when they sleep because he will be headless the next morning with a missing stolen CD of Waking the Fallen. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Sound: The sound of this CD is absolutely crystal! The recording is really great and the production is mint. I was impressed when I listened to this CD as I bought it on a whim as I had a ten left after purchasing Alexisonfire's self titled album. The band pull together really nicely and create an unusual anti-traditional style. The music itself has a very contradictory style - which is great - completely turning metal on its head. They have a sound which parallels with bands such as Funeral For A Friend, My Chemical Romance and The Haunted but also has elements of Metallica, CKY and Maiden. I also noticed a distinct link to punk bands such as The Bronx, The Bled and most notably AFI and AKO. This does not make the CD bad infact on the contrary it creates something unusual and quite incredible, like nothing I have ever heard before. The guitar combines heavy riffage with tapping and hard solid solos notably comparible to the style of Nuno Bettencourt. The vocals are strong and clear combining Bruce Dickinson, Davey Havok and an almost Dani Filth type death metal growl. The drums and bass surprisingly light but still proud in the mix. A very impressive album! // 10

Lyrics: At some points the lyrics verge on unbearable teenage poetry reminiscent of many post H/C, sXe and Emo bands. At other points the lyrics are well thought out deep and emotional. I was impressed at some points and at others very aggrivated. I enjoyed listening to M. Shadows (lead vocals) vocals as he uses a variation of styles and it sounds really great although at some points the lyrics are completely inconceivable especially when he goes into his growling and shouting moments, fortunately this is made up for with his sweet anthemic chorus vocals. This is particularly noticeable on second track "Unholy Confessions" which is the single from the album. Overall I thought the lyrics match the music there is a continuing theme of love and death throughout the album (in a non-emo sense) which I really enjoyed and thought really complied with the heavy dark sense of forboding and regret that the music portrays. In conclusion lyrics are average singing is great and the themes are good. Unfortunately I feel let down by the poor lyrics at some points. But you can't win them all. Average! // 6

Overall Impression: It compares to many other artists but at the same time it is completely original if I had to name fives bands to compare this cd too it would be AFI, Funeral For A Friend, The Bronx, Maiden and Ako. The standout tracks are "Reminissions" worth buying it just for that, "Chapter Four", "I won't see you tonight - Part 1" and "Second Heartbeat". This album is definitely irreplaceable the only cds I own that really envy its place in my cd player are Lostprophets - Start Something, Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed and Deep In Conversation, Atreyu - The Curse,Coheed And Cambria - In Keeping Secrets and Thursday - War All The Time! This CD is definitely excellent and all time favourite! As a fan of modern music - I know thats strange nowadays when everyone seems to want to listen to old metal - I really thought this is one of the best out there!Oh and one piece of advice: Buy this album - do not download it and help the keep the scene alive! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: LucasGtrGod, on october 04, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is awe inspiring, especially because it is an independent release. The guitars are heavy, and the solos are awesome. You can't really hear the bass much though. The singing seems perfectly mixed in and the songs are written in expert fashion. 01. Waking The Fallen - 8/10, excellent intro, makes a statement about the album straight away. Although I don't the way the last line is sung-it sounds really emoish. 02. Unholy Confessions - 10/10, fantastics riffs, fantastic lyrics a great song. 03. Chapter Four - 9/10, a great song, has an awesome chorus. 04. Remenissions - 8/10, really heavy, a great flamenco guitar bit in the bridge that totally lifts the song. 05. Desecrate Through Reverance - 7/10, not as great song as the rest of them, but has a great heavy bit at the end of the song. 06. Eternal Rest - 10/10, starts off with a blazingly fast solo which then extends into a whole thing of it's own. Fantastic riffs, great lyrics-an awesome song. 07. Second Heartbeat - 10/10, a bit softer and more punky than the rest of the songs, but has a great melodic lead line, and a fantastic solo at the end. 08. Radiant Eclipse - 6/10, has a really dark and awesome intro, but the song goes down fron then on in. 09. I Won't See You Tonight Part 1 - 10/10, awesome, completely emotional, very sad, it's just a really chilling song. 10. I Won't See You Tonight Part 2 - 10/10, a little less emotional song than part 1, extremely heavy and has the most crazy solo I have ever heard, it also takes the chorus from IWSYT part 1. 11. Clairvoyant Disease - 9/10, really cool song, a bit softer than the rest of them, but the chorus is really dark. 12. And All Things Will End - 10/10, an amazingly catchy chorus, just the best wat to end the album. And a great solo. // 10

Lyrics: As I have said this album has incredible lyrics. They are heartfelt ans strong. lyrics that stand out are the ones from Unholy Confessions, IWSYT part 1 and 2, Clairvoyant Disease, Eternal Rest and All Things Will End. Although the singers scream can get a little annoying after a while. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best albums I own. It is just awesome, there isn't much else I can so for it. If it were stolen I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: shugo449, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold's soud is sort of like a masterful explosion on this album. With the superb guitar harmonies and teamwork by Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance, the high screams M. Shadows produces, and the fast precise backing of Johnny Christ on bass and the Rev on drums. Their masterful work vcreates a great, crazy fast metalcore/hardcore album; especially Synyster's amazing guitar work. My favorite tracks are "Chapter Four", "Eternal Rest", "Second Heartbeat", "I won't see you tonight" and "... And All Things Will End". // 10

Lyrics: Most of these lyrics, written by Matt Shadows, are related to suicide, death, the dead, or killing. The tracks "I Won't See you Tonight Part 1 and 2" are a fight about someones suicide plans and the peopling morning over it. Literally, every other track has hate and despair and death. "Eternal Rest" is a song about little children living on the streets and suffering. // 8

Overall Impression: Avenged Sevenfold sounds like any Scream-O band, but with songs that don't all sound the same and amazing guitar solos. I love Synyster and Zacky's guitar work and how they can work peices together so well. If it were stolen or lost, I would go buy three more, so I have backup! Go buy this CD, no matter who you are! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on march 24, 2004

Sound: Okay, step one - take a bowl full of Metallica. Step two - add sprinkles of Iron Maiden. Step 3 - chop up AFI and drop the pieces in. Now stir and heat in boiling temperatures for at least 5 minutes. Then remove and allow to cool. Now look at what you have - Avenged Sevenfold. This album is, to put it bluntly, nothing short of a metallic masterpiece. You have the image and hardcore elements of AFI, mixed with the killer vocals and solos of Metallica et al. In Synyster Gates, A7X has a much more than competent guitarist, and M Shadows has a voice that could turn a corpse. The screams mixed with the singing is nothing new, and neither is the overall sound really. But it's so damn good that it blows away anything and anything that sounds remotely like it. It's an epic album, a real mix of fast and slow, punishing and beautiful and pain and pleasure. Truly outstanding. // 10

Lyrics: A lot of the lyrics are hard to make out on first hearing, but are all pretty good. One look at the cover art and you know what kind of album this is. Bordering on gothic, the lyrics refer to death and killing, and, well, just general unhappiness really. But it works. It's a kind of AFI-type style, and is done brilliantly here. The singing is also great - both the energetic and mellow parts are good, and they blend together seamlessly. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a brilliant album. It only represents the darker side of what I generally listen to, but it truly is a modern classic. It mixes metal and hardcore in a very accessible and understandable way, and deserves all the praise I've heard it receiving. I would definitely buy it again if it went missing, this is an album I need. Every second of every track is worth listening to, and from start to finish you won't be disappointed. For fans of metal and hardcore, and possibly everyone else. Standout tracks for me are "Second Heartbeat", "I Won't See You Tonight Part I", "Chapter Four" and "Eternal Rest", in which the guitars are really let loose. Amazing. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: llama_slap, on august 09, 2005

Sound: Don't judge A7X by City Of Evil if you've never heard Waking The Fallen, because they are almost two completely different sounds. This album is definitely the best of the bunch. M. Shadows is a great singer/screamer, and Zacky and Synyster's crunchy guitar sound accents his singing beautifully. Great solos, also. If you play guitar, I suggest learning these songs. // 10

Lyrics: Freakin' awesome lyrics. They are very poetic and eerie, like those in "I Won't See You Tonight Part 1." Stories unfold as you listen. The lyrics go great with the music, and M. Shadows does an excellent job vocally. // 10

Overall Impression: This is now one of my favorite metal albums of all time. My favorite song would have to be "I Won't See You Tonight Part 1" because the music and lyrics go great together. The solo-ish music in the beginning to eternal rest will blow your mind. This band is very talented and it really shows throughout Waking the Fallen. Buy this CD now! If it were stolen, no I wouldn't just go buy another one. I would hunt down the person who stole it and break the CD over their head (it would be worth the $13 or whatever), then go buy another one. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: Shed the Tears, on november 21, 2005

Sound: I first heard A7X on fuse with their new single "Bat Country." It was a great song which inspired me to buy their CD, which then led me to "Waking The Fallen." I was amazed by the dark and sinister lyrics that lead vocals, M. Shadows, put out. The quick riffs that lead guitarist, Syn, were just fast and great, and plentifull. While Zacky, rythym, isn't just a normal rythym guitarist. He shreds out licks and chords all over the place. Not much to say about johnny, bass, just that, hey, awesome. The drums, by The Rev, are something of legend, I just cannot describe them. As with all the indivdual members of A7X I cannot describe the pure awesomness. Unhloy Confessions, great song, it's a perfect example of what A7X is about. My favorite song. Second Heartbeat has a crazy solo at the end which makes the 4 or 5 minute song, which is super, even more worth it. Radient Eclipse, I won't see you tonight, hell the whole album is great, my favorite band and CD. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows. Great screamer and singer. As a screamer he gets my heart racing when it's right along with the guitars. As a singer it's great, to go from melow singing to hardcore screaming, he's an overall great vocals which I know a lot of people don't care for, but if you don't like it you wouldnt be reading this anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite band, and CD. Hands down, there it is. If you like metalcore bands; Atreyu, AsIlay etc. you have to buy this CD. And now its only 10 dollars so hey, why you still reading, get your butt up and get this CD. It doesn't compare in sound to any other band I've heard. There are no Flaws in this album, now my hand hurts from typing and I'm getting lazy as I've been throughout the review. I leave you with this note. I was lazy with the adjectives to describe everything I've said, if you can think of more powerful, creative words better that great or awesome use them. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2006

Sound: In my opinion, Avenged Sevenfold is definitely the best metal band of the 21st century. It gave birth to a whole another generation of mysic, mixing punk, heavy metal, even traces of emo. Unlike A7X's previous albums, where there was alot of screaming, which, needless to say, drowned out the meaning of the lyrics, not presenting them to their full potential, in City Of Evil, there is a lot more singing and you can hear the meaning of the song. The guitar and the drums too are some of the best I've seen in decades, and almost every song has a good guitar and drum part. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in City Of Evil are meaningfull, and best of all, fit into the song. Unlike bands like Green Day and My Chemical Romance, mindless whining and singing about random things like their dead grandmas and miserable lives, each of A7X's songs is like a unique story, each different from the other. My favorite songs as far as lyrics are The Beast and the Harlot, Sidewinder and MIA. // 10

Overall Impression: Avenged Sevenfold simply rocks! It cannot be classified into any one category and just might save rock from all of those emo cutter queers, singing about how their girlfriends dumped them. City Of Evil is an instant classic. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: SLIP(SIC)KNOT, on april 25, 2006

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold is one of my two favorite bands of all time no questions asked. This album is their best as far as I'm concerned. M. Shadows' great combination of screams and beautiful vocals is stunning. He has probably the most unique scream EVER. This is not their heaviest album, but it is their best put together. The guitar work is brilliant, with some great facemelting solos like the one in Second Heartbeat and I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 2. The drums and guitars lock in with each other so well, its just stunning. the hi-hat and tremolo picking guitar in Second Heartbeat shows that. The vocals in I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 1 are just totally amazing. Shadows reaches new heights in this song. I think that Avenged Sevenfold has inspired my gutar playing more than anyother band on earth. while their guitar work on City Of Evil may be slightly more impressive solo wise, they have no heavy songs on it! dont get me wrong, I love that album, but Waking The Fallen just has everything. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are written extremely well. The lyrics in I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 1 and 2 just really show off their poetic side. Both of those songs are about suicide, but they're really poetically written. The lyrics go perfectly with the music. I especially like the way the lyrics correspond with the guitar in Unholy Confessions and Claivoyant Disease. The singing skills in this album are really great. there's a perfect balance between screaming and singing, and the blend of them just really makes for a cool sound overall. // 10

Overall Impression: This band is one of my two favorites like I said before. the only band that can compare to it in my mind is Slipknot. This is Avenged Sevenfold's best album yet. I love everything about it. Almost every song on this album stands out to me. I like these ones best: Chapter Four, Eternal Rest, Unholy Confessions, Remenissions, Desecrate Through Reverance, Second Heartbeat, I Wont See You Tonight Pt. 1 And 2, Clairvoyant Disease, And All Things Will End. Radiant Eclipse is alright I guess, but its juust not the greatest. Waking The Fallen is pretty much just a mix, so its not that great. If this were stolen, I would definately buy another. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2003

Sound: I first heard this band at the 1-800-suicide concert in Dallas. The sound guy was band there. I purchased the album at the show, I wanted to hear it. After listening to this band over and over, I've developed the opinion that this band is an awesome band, with no major popularity yet. The sound on this album is so clear, it's amazing. You can hear each solo, intro, anything very clear. // 10

Lyrics: The writer and vocalist of this band is an amazing person. Their song, Chapter Four which is track 3, tells the story of Cain and Abel, from, go figure, Genesis chapter 4. The fact that I'm not a heavy religous person by any means, you should understand that this song, moved me. It made me feel bad for Cain and his punishment. The song I Won't See You Tonight pt 1, has it all, piano, hard licks, solos, and beautiful singing, and lyrics, a true unsung masterpiece. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a 5. This is a record I'd HIGHLY recomend purchasing and enjoying. However this is a "heavy metal" band. My definition of heavy metal varies. If you like Iron Maiden, with a little punk influence, and an amazing singer, with awesome solos backing him up, you dig this 100%. GO GET IT NOW!!! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: xsuckxmyxassx, on march 09, 2004

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold has mixed Iron Maiden, Thrice, Slayer and pretty much all heavy metal, punk, and rock bands into one great sound with great vocals. This album is full of loud heavy guitar riffs with a lot of third harmony and guitar solos up the wing-wang. The sound is quiet heavy tho, so expect a lot of screaming. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows (lead vocals) is a great song writer and has some of the most meaning full songs I've ever heard! When you listen to the lyrics your like wow, then when you read what he's saying your like WOW! // 10

Overall Impression: Buy This Album!!! every single thing about this album is great these guys are extremly talented musicians and one of the best band out there (oh yeah just incase you were wondering they go nuts on stage). Some of the best songs are unholy confessions,second heartbeat, remenissions, I won't see you tonight part 1 and there are so many more. This album is completely worth the money and you wont regret buying it! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: Rocker3829, on april 06, 2004

Sound: Avenged Sevenfold is one of the best bands today. They are heavy metal and yes I really mean heavy metal, so if your don't like heavy metal then do not by this cd. The sound is awesome. The LEAD guitar is incredible(the way it should be) the keyboards mix very well(especially in I won't see you tonight pt.1 & 2) the drums and rhythm guitar go great with the keyboards. The singer can get a little annoying with the screaming but its still good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are about life and the adventures you go through. All of them are very meaningful. Some parts are used a few times more than should but it is still very very good. // 10

Overall Impression: I can describe this cd in one word. Badass. They by far put Nu-metal to shame and bring out true Metal with a punk influence. My favorite songs on the cd are Unholy Confession, Eternal Rest, I Won't See you Tonight pt.1 (by far one of my favorite songs ever and its 9 mins long). I would definitely by this cd again if it were stolen. The great mix of the keyboards with the lead and rhythm guitars completely blew me away, this is by far one of my favorite cds. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2004

Sound: Alright, Avenged stirs the pot with such bands as Metalica, Iron Maiden, they through some "thrice-ish" stuff in there, some modern hardcore, and some aged emo type stuff. Most bands who try to pull this off die trying; Avenged, on the other hand, does this with ease. The lead guitar is encredible with its metal licks that have a tough, raw punch. The send guitar fits perfectly with the lead guitar; its unbelievable. The bass guitar is a little low, but if you listen for it, you will see that it has its own, unique sound, but it fits in perfectly as well. The drums are amazing as well, not as good as 'Sounding the Seventh Trumpet,' but still amazing enough to touch me. And the vocals, I can not say enough about these vocals; they are place perfectly through-out the songs. The singing and screaming switches truly give me chills. // 10

Lyrics: Avenged's lyrics have always been really good, but this album blew the other ablum away. If you look deep within these lyrics, you can feel the emotion the M. Shadows is trying to express. In 'I Wont See You Tonight Part1,' the lyrics were so painful and sorrowful it almost makes you want to cry. And in Desecrate Through Reverance, well, lets just say that we can all relate to this song. // 10

Overall Impression: Well overall, this album I simply...perfect. If you have purchaced this album yet, I highly recomend that you do so. This I snot just an album that you can you listen to once or twice, this is an album that will change your life. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2004

Sound: Punk, emo, metal. All those are fused together, with metal prevailing above it most of all. Truly a beautiful album. It has one of those rare sounds that makes for a c.d. you'll listen to for years to come. It contains incredible guitar work, especially in songs like Desecrate Through Reverence, Unholy Confessions, and Chapter Four. I would recommend this for any guitarist or any metal fan at all. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, but the songs seem to lack the normal setup of a song- verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus- that normal songs have. It's great to be able to listen to a song and not hear that same hook over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and... well... you get my point. The songs pretty much are an ever-evolving trip into the abyss. The singing is great... a metal band that can sing? Wow. Don't get me wrong, it still has plenty of angst filled shouts here and there, but not through the whole song, as many metal bands do. // 10

Overall Impression: Holy! That was my first impression of this c.d. It is truly a c.d. that I will listen to for the rest of my life. Unless it breaks, then I would buy a new one and listen to that c.d. Haha! This is truly a c.d. that fits directly into my tastes, as it would for anyone, this bands fulfills such a wide range of music, it's impossible not to like it. Bottom line is: buy this c.d!... unless you listen to country. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: Bassman13, on may 24, 2004

Sound: Awesome. If you could take the best of everything and make it into a hardcore band, well, it's already been done by Avenged Sevenfold. This cd is absolutley masterful, perfection. Trying to describe their style is very difficult, because there's nothing else like them. Personally, I'm a metal/punk fan, and this is my Favourite band ever. Their Guitarists are just amazing, fast hard solo's and amazing riffs all around. Backed with an exellent bassist, an awe inspiring drummer, and the best singer around. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically speaking, one word comes to mind. Genius. All of the music is so intriquite, and the lyrics actually touch me. It's been said before in another review and I totally agree. It just all works so well, I'm at a loss for words to tell u how amazing they are. Their singer M. Shadows, is amazing. I've seen them live, and he's just got a presence about him, an aura. He knows what he's doing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by FAR my favourite album ever, there's not a song on there I dont' like, unlike most albums I've gotten. The most impressive songs on the album take up most the album. With songs like, Second Heartbeat, Unholy Confessions, Remenissions, and Desecrate Through Reverance, make ths album a true epic. This is one cd that'll hardly ever leave my cd player. It's definatly worth it to buy. I love Avenged Sevenfold // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: Rap-sucksSoDoU, on july 09, 2004

Sound: The sound on this cd is unbelievably clear, you can hear everything the guitars bass singer and drums verry well. I love you they blended many styles of rock togather. They have it mix emo punk with thrash metal. This album was very innovative. The guitar's on this album are the best I have ever heard from these new hardcore bands! // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows is talented his lyrics seem to come alive when I listen to this Album. I can feeal what he feels. Shadows put passion back into rock. Sometimes I can't understand what he is saying but overall I think that his singing is quite good. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this cd about 3 weeks ago and this is all I would listen to for the past couple of weeks I love the song I won't see you tonight part one Synister Gates was wanderful on the Piano, and the whole song is beautiful. I loved every second of it. I hate that there is not more songs on the damn thing. If it was lost stolen broken ect. I would go and buy it in a heart beat. Go get this cd you won't be disappointed! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2004

Sound: There is one word that can truly encompass how amazing this cd is: phenomanal! Everything about this cd is crisp, clear, and well done. M. Shadows surprised me with his soft and low voice and also with his loud, high voice. His screams sent chills down my spine and I just can't help but keep pressing repeat on "I won't see you tonight Part 1" Zacky Vengeance and Synyster gates may be the greatest new-age axemen alive, along with Jade Puget "Afi", they put an entirely new spin on hardcore rock with their complex, yet amazing guitar riffs in some songs, and then their amazing solos in others. The reason I think most people like this band so much is because they are so musical, everything in their songs makes sense, and because all of their songs are like epics going on for 6, 7, 8, even 9 minutes sometimes. When my girlfriend first heard the song "I won't see you tonight "Part 1" she cried, they have a very real sense to their music. Overall. the sound is amazing! // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics are just as good if not better than their music. They are lyrics you would look at and kinda wonder how they would fit it into a song. They shatter the rules of rhyming and the whole "Verse-chorus-Verse" thing in a song. There are mamny songs on the cd that don't even sound like they have a chorus. But their lyrics put a dark spin on love and a truly inspring emotion in music. If M. Shadows was not as amazing as he is, then I think that the lyrics would not be as powerful. In "Reminissions", you can feel the pain and anguish and in Parts one and two of the epic "I won't see you tonight" you can feel the horrible feeling of loss and suicide in the air as you listen to it. These lyrics realy got to me and that is whay they stay in my head throughout the day. Amazing // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite band ever is Afi and these guys are right up there with them. They really pour theirs hearts out in their music. They are not afraid to talk about happenings in life that need to be talked about like death, love, and despair.If I had to pick out four songs from the album. I wouldchose "And all things will end"; because it is such a beautiful song and a great finisher for the album. "I won't see you tonight Part 1" because it is so many songs boiled into one that if that were all that was on the cd, I would buy it still. "Unholy confessions" because it brings back the in-your-face slammin guitar of metallica and Maiden. Ane finally, "Second Heartbeat" because they made that a modern-day guitar anthem unlike any before. I do not think there is anything I could possibly not like about this cd, except for that at the end of "I won't see you tonight part 1" there is no huge guitar solo fading out. If my "waking the fallen" cd was stolen or broken, first, I would kill whoever did it, and second of all, I would buy a new one and listen to it for a week straight. One of the best cd's ever made! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: deathsk8erbuck, on july 22, 2004

Sound: The cd Waking the Fallen is filled with awesome sound. The harmonics in the band are excellent and the band plays smooth. All the music fits together really well. If you like the music played in bands with few people A7X probably wouldnt be the band for you, but otherwise its an epic. The riffs and solos are very well put together, and the music is super catchy, more than Sounding the Seventh Trumpet (A7X's first cd) was. // 10

Lyrics: I personally rate the lyrics and vocals excellent, but I'm sure other people oppose that. The lyrics are deep and and appeal mostly to a younger age group. The lyrics fit with the songs theyre in very well. The singer has a great singing voice and is a good screamer, so the vocals work well for metal and punk listeners. But I have seen many reviews for people who do not like the vocals so much. // 10

Overall Impression: I do think Waking The Fallen is a better CD than their first. The songs are super smooth and dont seem as slapped together as on Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, although the band's first CD was a much better metal CD. The song unholy confessions obviously stands out to most people the most, but there are more just as good songs on the CD, such as Chapter Four, And All Things Will End, Clairvoyant Disease, and Remenissions to say the least. The band I believe did a very good job on their second CD and took the classic 3-4 minute song and turned it to an average 6 minute song. If you like metal & punk check the band/CD(s) out. Peace and Enjoy. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2004

Sound: Okay, imagine that you're listening to the best music you've ever heard in your life. Then you begin to recieve oral favors. Then you inherit a million dollars. Then the music gets even better. Times that by 2 and you have the awesome sounds of A7x. I mean, Jesus Christ On A Stick, I wish that every band had that kind of talent. Avenged Sevenfold is like a Black Hole of awesome: they draw all awesomeness into themselves, leaving no awesomeness anywhere else. This is how I explain how all other music blows Camels. Not just your average camel, but the kind of camel that if another camel was referring to said camel, he would be reverent in his referral to said camel. Like a camel among camels. That is the calibur of camel that all other music now sucks. In case you didn't get that don't worry. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep, the word choice is brilliant, and the only thing that I think when I hear these lyrics are somewhere along the lines of "Oh s--t, I don't think I can hold my load anymore!" Singer skills? Shit, why ask? He's got the gutteral screams and the silky smooth voice of. No one before him. // 10

Overall Impression: As said above, this album makes all other albums blow. (See Black Hole reference). Most impressive songs: Unholy Confessions, Chapter Four, Remenissions, Desecrate Through Reverance, and Eternal Rest. The others rock also, but I'm getting tired of typing. If I lost this album? S--t, I'd kill myself. Then revive myself and kill myself again. If it was stolen dare I say that murder after torture could be the only fate of the culprit. Love all, hate nothing. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: yeller56, on december 07, 2004

Sound: Metallica? No I think not, these young rockers hail from Orange County, something you'd least expect a metalcore band to come from when such bands like "No Doubt" come from there as well. A7X (as they are also referred to) sounds can be heavy and fast (i.e. Second Heartbeart, Unholy Confessions, Eternal Rest) but can also be slow and emotional (i.e. I Won't See You Tonight Part 1. and some of And All Things Will End) with some fantasic guitarists, fabulous bassit, and a very skillfull drummer they are bound to make such beautiful music. A7X isn't orginal but it sure does sound good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep and meaningful, M. Shadows can yell and sing like the best of 'em. An example is the meaning behind I Won't See You Part 1. is about one commiting suicide, while Part 2. is about the ones that are affected by that persons suicide. Second Heartbeat I believe is about growing up and looking back on thier childhood. // 10

Overall Impression: Things I love: the mixture of the yelling and singing, solos and catchy riffs. Things I hate: It tends to get boring. Overall if someone where to steal this album I would find them and cut they're ballsack open stuff it with maggots, and sew back together. This CD is right under Ride The Lightning, Number The Beast, and Reighn In Blood. Simply put a great work of metal art. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: wookieonfire, on january 12, 2005

Sound: This album is f--cking unbelieveable. From the opening chords of "Waking The Fallen" to the scorching riffs of "Unholy Confessions" and right on down to the best song on the CD, "I Won't See You Tonight Part I", this albums is musically one of, if not the, best album ever produced by a new-age metal group. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows, the lead singer, has the most incredible vocal talent I have ever heard in a metal, and for once its a pleasure to be able to understand what he is singing most of the time. The lyrics tie in with the music perfectly, especially the haunting riffs of "I Won't See You Tonight Part I." // 10

Overall Impression: This album blows away anything else out there in the metal world right now, shows slayer and slipknot to be what they really are, marginally talented cretonic sreamers with persecution complexes. I've already stated the best songs from the album. There is nothing to hate about this album, cept that its not long enough. If it was stolen I would burn the motherf--uckers alive that took it. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2005

Sound: Sound of this album? Epic is a good place to start, atmospheric, intelligent and awesome. I loved the thick distorted guitar tone and superb vocals throughout. This is one of the few albums that I've noticed an important contribution from drums, so thats good too. I really dislike downtuned metal as a rule so to find myself in awe of the brutally thick riffs on offer here was quite surprising. The album is chock full of cool riffs (try Eternal Rest) and excellent harmony lines (my favourite probably on Second Heartbeat). As a guitarist this is probably my favourite record. It has precise complementary rhythm work from Zachy Vengence (evry band has to have some fault, here its stupid names) and awe inspiring lead work. The finale melody to shred solo on second heartbeat is surely the one of most exciting solos youll hear in some time. If you like punk, hardcore, thrash, or if like me youre into shred then this record will not disappoint, I love it and there are only about 6 solos! // 10

Lyrics: Impressive throughout. Best rock singer I've heard since Axl Rose (not being sarcastic, Rose is a good singer). Lyrics actually have meaning! Not only that but the band has picked the kind of dark themes that perfectly match the music. The screamo vocals arent really my thing but they are executed well and are easy enough to decipher, the melodies however are awesome, catchy, well hard to describe - trust me when I say it's good. // 10

Overall Impression: I love pretty much all this album, it has reinvigorated my practice as I strive to play Synester Gates solos (thanks to guys who tabbed that stuff). The only thing I dislike is, I'll be honest I'm struggling. Most impressive songs; cool heaviness and awesome shred intro of Eternal Rest, fabulous melodies and solo on Second Heartbeat, probably the most awesome chorus ever of I Won't See You Tonight and Chapter 4 has some great vocal hooks. As with all great albums there are no weak tracks, I just had the aforementioned particularly in my head at time of writing. If this album were stolen I would recommend the thief run very, very fast and don't stop. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: finisher, on may 27, 2005

Sound: This CD is freakin amazing! Avenged Sevenfold cannot be compaired to any other band they are just so amazing. The CD varies between punk and heavy metal. Synister Gates solos are incredible. The Reverend is a crazy good drummer. And M. Shadows adds great vocals and lyrics that fit each song perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very catchy. I think the best overall song for lyrics and singing is I Won't See You Tonight Part 1. But it's a metal band so who cares about lyrics? // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is the best metal CD made or atleast along side Master Of Puppets by Metallica. If your a fan of metal buy this CD. If you like crazy solos buy this CD. It's just great and it got stolen from me I would send a search party for it and burn the thief in hell and piss on the ashes. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: jeremy_chan, on august 26, 2005

Sound: I don't think I could even describe how awesome the band's sounds are in words, just because they simple rock! Never in my life have I been blown away by such a great band in a short matter of time so I definately recommend this to any rock, metal, punk rock head out there, because you're sure to be hooked on to this CD for the rest of your life. The sound? 5 Stars. The combination of screaming/growling + a guitar tuned down to drop d (which isn't really low) and an excellent drummer, show what Avenged Sevenfold are really capable in, when making music. Their really riffs and solos simple makes anyone not stop listening to them, in fact it's almost like a drug (not saying I do drugs) but it's just hard to emphasize how great this band is. // 10

Lyrics: I don't really pay attention to the lyrics but even if I tried to, I wouldn't be able to because most of it's all screamed and the singing only occurs in some parts but overall if you were to look at the lyrics at some website, you would find out that everything they write about is rather depressing, mainly about death, contemplation suicide and anything else that isn't happy, which is awesome. I mean, who in the blue hell world wants to listen to happy songs? the maybe soothe you done occasionally but if you're willing to make your head and raise your hand up high like Spider Man, then these lyrics and sounds are for you. Bands like Yellowcard, The All-American Rejects, Finch, and any other punk/emo band just don't cut it. So again if you damn good music, check this band out. // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison to my other favourite bands (Metallica, Children Of Bodom), Avenged Sevenfold is right in line with those bands, even though they're a pretty new metal band and metallica dated back to the 1980's. Moving on, the most impressive songs on the album would be every song but some songs tend to get a little corny when they sorta whine throughout one part of a song or they change the entire atmosphere of the song by singing it. A good example would be radiant eclipse. As you can listen, the band starts out by a rather 'scary' intro tune and then gets into growling, which is probably the best part of the song. A few minutes later, they start singing like a church choir, which probably ruins my impression on this song alot. But overall, every single damn song on this CD rocks. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: shadowridge, on september 12, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is no less than perfect. The guitars scream talent and the bass is unbelievably good. The drummer has got to be on speed or something in order to pull this stuff off. It's really amazing how he can do so much. The good thing is that they take evil to the next step with this album and they make is sound really sinister (meaning really good, but good and evil don't go good together) I just can't believe how they put everything together so perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows is a genius. It's as simple as that. From songs of biblical stories that sound evil (Chapter Four) to songs about the pain of being left behind after a friend commits suicide (Second Heartbeat, I Won't See You Tonight Parts I and II) he never stops singing (or screaming) good lyrics from beginning to end. It's just that good. // 10

Overall Impression: This is without a doubt one of the best albums ever recoreded. Need I say more? // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is alot different from Sounding The Seventh Trumpet. It is alot more melodic and is also far easier to understand voacally. Also it has alot more clean vocals than STST, with songs such as I Wont See You Tonight Pt. 1 and Clairvoyant Disease you really see what M. Shadows can do. It's alot slower as well. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics where amazing. Refering from everything from break ups, suicide, and the Biblical Story Of Brothers Cain And Abel. The most impressive song on the CD lyrically is I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 1. It's about wanting to commit suicide. I enjoy this song because the way it is done. It is very deep and you can hear M. Shadows talent. That and the guitaire is rather creepy in how well it goes with the song. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best metal core/screamo CD ever. I am a big fan of Atreyu and love thier CD Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses. But this cd is far better. Lyrically, and musically this is a better album that STST. Though To End The Rapture does kick ass. If someone stole this from me they would face extreme mutilation when I track their hippy ass down. Then I would rock out to the awesomeness of this CD. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: pHaKe, on january 04, 2006

Sound: This a great album, one of my favorite. Great guitar riffs and some great screams by M. Shadows. Great songs are on this album like Unholy Confessions, Second Heartbeat, Chapter Four, and Eternal Rest (sweet intro solo). Synyster and Zacky form some great duel-guitar 'attacks' on this album. A7x has a diverse sound because if you listen to just one speaker (like just the left speaker without the right making any noise) the song sounds different. A7x's sound comes from the sound you get by blending the sound from one side with the other side, which gives it a very cool sound. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows lays down some insane screams and vocals on this album. In almost all songs he makes some great screams, but it's not just all screams, he performs some actual lyrics. With what I think is a perfect blend of insane sccreams, and great vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, and other Avenged Sevenfold albums, are like non-other. They have some of the greatest guitarits around today, and it's hard for other guitarist's to re-create. They are in-a-sense in a genre of their own. Like in Eternal Rest, they start off with an insane guitar solo, then some great scream vocals, then a guitar interlude, then it blends the screaming with other sounds, and ends soft(er). Another great song is Second Heartbeat, which might be a little long, but it's a great song. All the songs on this album are all great, but my personal favorites are Eternal Rest, Unholy Confessions, Chapter Four, and Second Heartbeat. What I really love about this album is the guitar solos, and the insane screams. I would definately buy this album again if it were lost or stolen. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 25, 2006

Sound: These guys are amazing like the guy above I first heard Unholy Confessions on my friends iPod and knew I had to get the album. The bands' main influence being the kings of classic rock for instance GnR the way to describe this album is like '80s rock with a modern edge. Zacky and Synyster pull out some of the greatest guitar riffs ever, while the Rev and Jonny Christ supply amazing bass and drum lines. // 10

Lyrics: Although the majority of the lyrics were screamed M. Shadows is still able to bring his lyrics to a high melodic level for when it counts espescially in songs like "Remenissions" and "Chapter Four" and the epic "I Won't See You Tonight." The lyrics are deep and really quite cool to think about and contemplate the song quite well, although as M. says they compliment the music much better on "City Of Evil." // 10

Overall Impression: This album deffinatley holds its own and is comparitive to '80s rock but with a dark edge. My favourite songs on the album are Unholy Confessions and I Won't See You Tonight although all of the songs on this album come into this catagory. If lost I would deffinatley fork out the cash and get it again! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: elgranmapache, on may 29, 2006

Sound: Before listening to this album, I had just heard city of evil, and I liked it, so I got this one. It's just amazing. Compared to COE, it's totally different. Maybe the guitar solos of COE are more of a "shredding" style and the bass lines are more powerful. But in my opinion WTF is like 2394785 times more meaningful (does that word exist?) and powerful that the new one. Almost every single song tells you something, makes you feel one way, its not just music going on track after track, which is a thing I can't say about COE. Chapter Four is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard, the way M. Shadows sings/screams just blows me away. And the drums line are furious throught all the album like I had hardly ever heard before in a heavy metal album. Just awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are all about death, suicide and so on. That might sound a bit depressiving, but don't worry about that 'cause most of the time M. Shadows is screaming and you won't understand a single word. The voice really fits the music. Like I said before, Chapter Four has an awesome demonstration by M. Shadows of the extreme emotional power of his voice. Unfortunately, after this album he suffered from some kind of throat disease, I'm not sure what it was exactly, and after the surgery.. Well, listen to COE and compare. I hope this guy can someday return to the pervious singing, because that perfect combination of screaming and singing was just amazing. If you've seen this guys live, you'll understand me when I say M. Shadows is one of the most talented metal singers out there. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album of the band. It sounds far better than Sounding The Seventh Trumpet and I think it beats City Of Evil, especially because of the voice. I love everything about this album, there's not a single thing I wouldn't change in it. Maybe they could have written a guitar solo for some songs like Unholy Confessions, or more presence of the bass lines. But it's still unbelievable. My favourite songs are (I've seen most people agree) Chapter Four, Second Heartbeat, Remenissions and I Won't See You Tonight (Part I). These guys are the most talented heavy metal band since the days of Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden. If somebody stole the album he would be probably Harry Potter because I have the album downloaded in the computer, not in CD. But I think I will buy it, 'cause trust me, this album is worth it. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on june 20, 2006

Sound: The sound was great! It had this heavy dark sound that gives the band its metalcore taste. Even the clean parts were dark which made it all flow. The singing was screaming so it went well with the guitars well. 01. Waking The Fallen - this seriously sounded like a quire or church because of the chanting plus the screaming/faint singing. The guitar riff was pretty cool and acted like a bass line, keeping the rhythm. 02. Unholy Confessions - one of the best on the album, the riffs were sick and even there there was no solo, there were a ton of harmonies and an interlude to make up. 03. Chapter Four - the drumming here show why the Rev is one the best hardcore drummers around. Zacky and Synyster had tons of interludes/harmonies that made it great. the Singing was the best though, because Matt would be creaming over Zacky and Syny singing, gave it a darker sound. 04. Remenissions - sounds a little like a Pantera sng in the beginning, but then a harmony and tells you it cant be dimebag. I like the acoustic parts in this song. 05. Desecrate Through Reverance - I love the first little riff that comes up behind the drums. The drumming again was very good. The verses were weak in my opinion, except for the singing. 06. Eternal Rest - the intro was very well put together, fast paced drums with a crazy solo, plus fast palm muting. This is one of the faster songs on the album, sounds a little like a old Metallica song. This had some very cool singing. The riffs were amazing. Same with the interludes. 07. Second Heartbeat - Avenged Sevenfold's best song ever. the beginning riff/interlude was very good. And I like that in the middle of the song, they play that same riff, but slower. The Verse had another little interlude going on. The pre-chorus interlude was the best, it was a little darker than the rest of the song. The solo was the best I have seen from Synyster, sweep picking plus a litle legato, and just some melodic stuff that made this song great. Very well put together. 08. Radiant Eclipse - the intro is very good. Zacky and The Rev were in sync which made the drumming and guitar playing in the intro sound really cool. The song was pretty slow but very good in palm mutings. I love the chorus, the riff for lead plus the chords Zacky were doing gives it a little more life for me. The solo may have been short, but it was very melodic. 09. I Won't See You Tonight Part 1 - this shows that Avenged Sevenfold has a little softer side with the piano, little melodic solos, and just the soft singing. the piano and solos were just the best though. 10. I Wont See You Tonight Part 2 - the singing was that great, but the riffs and interludes made up for that easily. 11. Clairvoyant Disease - the opening interlude made you automatically want to listen to this. The singing was soft in the verses. The was a nice verse riff going on in that song. 12. And All Things Will End - the acoustic parts were the best part of this song, it gave this song a diferent feel to it. The ending solo was very well put together. // 10

Lyrics: The singing skills were actually very god. The screaming was good, the soft singing shows the Matt Shadows can have a softer side. Lyric wise, it was great. // 9

Overall Impression: This is by far their strongest album. The dark fast slow paced songs made this album one of those CDs you can listen to when your pissed, the mixture of softness and darkness in a song made it so beautifully put together. Zacky, Syn, Matt, The Rev, and Johnny all contributed to make this CD great. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: favrefan30, on september 05, 2006

Sound: The first thing that sticks out to me has to be the guitars in this CD. Synester Gates and Zacky V. are excellent musicians. For example, the harmony in the song Chapter Four are simply amazing. This has to be one of the greatest songs I have ever heard, when it comes to guitars. Not to mention Chapter Four also has a great drum solo at the beginning. It's quite impressive. Eternal Rest has a very wacky guitar solo at the beginning of the song stretching on for 20 seconds. Then one of my favorite guitar riffs of all time is also in this song. I saw A7X perform this song live at Warped Tour 03' and it is quite amazing how they could play this song almost identical to the CD version. The song I Won't See You Tonight Part 1. is also an amazing song. Starting off with a nice piano and building itself into a good guitar and drum beat. It has to be the most powerful song on the album muscial wise. All in all I would say Synester Gates and Zacky. pulled off an amazing job with their guitars in this album, and their hard work definetly carried on to their newest CD City of Evil. The drumming by the Rev is also very good in this CD. A song to show off his skills would definetly be Chapter Four. Last but not least is Johnny Christ on bass. To tell you the truth he is no where to be seen on this album. I can't really give you a review on his work because I can't even hear him. // 10

Lyrics: M. Shadows did a phenomenal job on this album. Absoultey great. The lyrics on this CD are top notch. Every song has meaningful lyrics. There aren't any stupid lyrics on this disc, every song from Unholy Confessions to And All Things Will End have really smart lyrics. If Shadows feels like saying he is sad, he will blow your mind away with some truly great lyrics. They must have taken him forever to write. The actually singing and screaming of the lyrics in itself, are by far the best I have ever heard. Waking The Fallen is my favorite CD of all time for two reasons. The guitar work and technicality of the music is great. It soothes my soul when I listen to it. M. Shadows has the best scream and singing voice I have ever listened to. Putting it in the most simple way I can, M. Shadows on WTF is the best vocalist I can think of. I don't think any other vocalist will ever be able to beat his performance. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far, my favorite CD of all time. A perfect 10 out 10 in my book. I can't really give you any recommened tracks because I love them all. However, if I could only listen to one song off of this CD it would either be Chapter Four or I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 1 // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: deathbat411, on october 25, 2006

Sound: I will start off by saying that A7X is my favorite band and I love all of their music. There are a lot of reasons I love this CD, but the top reasons are M. Shadows singing/screaming, and Zacky and Synester's playing. Even though they aren't playing insane solos together like in City of Evil, but they still have some pretty catchy riffs like in such songs as "Chapter Four", and "Unholy Confessions". Although A7X doesn't liked to be catagorized, in this album I'd have to say that they were alternative metal. People, A7X is just a great band, so buy this CD! // 10

Lyrics: Very good lyrics. Shadows sings about stuff like girls and killing people (I'm not so fond of that one). Shadows has a voice that will blow you away. One minute he's singing, and the next thing you know he's screaming! Over all, with M. Shadows' singing skills and the band's music combined, it makes for a good listening experience. // 10

Overall Impression: I have a lot of favorite bands, but Avenged Sevenfold beats them by far. My favorite songs on this album would have to be "Chapter Four", "Unholy Confessions", and "Radiant Eclipse". I love this album because it's Avenged Sevenfold! If this CD was stolen, I would go out and by a new one after I cried for an hour. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: franciscanavan, on december 25, 2006

Sound: What a difference a year can do to a band. In 2004 Avenged Sevenfold were a real heavy band and now in 2005 just a year later they have completely changed there image and genre. There sound now is more classic like early Metallica. There sound has been cleaned up. Many people believe this is because of singer Matt Shadows bursting a blood vessel, but it's not (check wikipedia if you don't believe). They are now a more melodic band with dual guitar harmonies being swung in from all angles. Synyster Gates has really progressed in his playing and throws in rather poppy arpeggios in a lot of the songs, these can be quite tricky to play on guitar. Zacky Vengeances rhythm guitar is very consistent all the way through but I would like to see more imagination with his use of chords. The star performer of the band has to be The Rev who once again plays his heart out on each track. He has got to be the best drummer in the world at the moment. And you can finally hear the bass! Awesome stuff. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are still very metal and have plenty of references to the bible, as was found in the last album. Listen to Beast And The Harlot and The Wicked End. Shadows has cleaned up his voice and it appeals more to the masses. He does not scream as much anymore but there are signs of his voice returning in Blinded In Chains and Betrayed. Technically he is a very good singer with an amazing voice and is added in most of the songs by backing vocals from Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best in a long time. A well known guitar magazine voted this as the 63rd greatest guitar album of all time. The sound is something completely new and is technically impressive. The best songs on the album would have to be Bat Country for the guitar solo mainly and it's infectious chorus. Another song that I would pick out would be Sidewinder. This song starts of quite heavy but progresses into a more flamenco sounding song with a spanish scoustic solo at the end. The ending track M.I.A is another track which I would pick out. The songs that could, no sorry should of been better would be Betrayed and Strength Of The World. Both because of the length of the two, I fell that shaving a couple of minutes of each of the tracks would of kept my interest going. Still it made a very good impression on me and the catchy chorus and infectious guitar solos are now firmly cemented in my head. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on february 21, 2007

Sound: Um yeah this is my first review, so I don't really know what to say. The vocals on this CD rock, Matt Shadows makes the band sound perfect (both I Won't See You Tonights), Synyster Gates annihilates inhuhman guitar solos (Second Heartbeat outro, IWSYT part 2), Zacky Vengeance has the catchiest riffs as rhythm guitar (check out Unholy Confessions), Johnny Christ does perfectly on bass, and the Reverend sails through impossible double bass lines (IWSYT Part 2) and even throws in a killer solo in Remenissions. Overall the CD sounds perfect and hasn't gotten old like some CDs might, and A7X also has one of the coolest CD endings I've ever heard on this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Shadows does a killer job with the vocals on this song, not just the words but also when to scream or sing, and what notes to put where, the best parts are I Won't See You Tonight Part 1 and the Radiant Eclipse outro. The backup vocals also fill in perfectly in songs like Remenissions. The best vocals are definetly in Desecrate Through Reverance, the verses rock like no other, and the singing in that song also sounds awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: At least right now, this is my favorite album in many ways. Every song rocks, the beginning and end to the CD are unforgetable, and I can't think of one thing that's wrong with this CD. There is no doubt if worse comes to worse and I no longer have the CD, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new copy, cause it rocks! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: a7xtdmaster, on may 14, 2007

Sound: I bought this album after hearing the song Unholy Confessions and when I heard that song it changed my music life. Before that song it was Blink 182, Green Day, Hoobastank and Simple Plan. That song changed those to Metallica, Trivium, Slipknot, Korn and other Metal/Hard Rock Bands so that song means a lot to me. When I bought that album I found 5 or 6 songs better than Unholy Confessions. The sound is great easily the best sound I have heard from bands like this. Great job by Hopeless Records. Too bad they switched to Warner Bros. Here is my rating of the songs: 01. Waking The Fallen - average start to a great album and a very odd opening but gets better but it is a good intro to the album and Unholy Confessions. 02. Unholy Confessions - first song I heard by Avenged Sevenfold. Good intro. Great all round song. There are no bad parts to the song, it's all good. 03. Chapter Four - easily one of the greatest songs by any band. Great intro. Absolutely love the screaming/singing mix at the start. Love all the song and all the guitar parts, bass and great drum work. 04. Reminissions - great follow up on Chapter Four. It has a good aggressive start and great screaming at the start. I'll say it the best bit of the song is defiantly the intro and 1st verse. The ending gets a bit boring but otherwise great song. 05. Desecrate Through Reverence - the best song in the album. The best song by a7x. The best song ever. Great intro, love it. Great verse, love it. Almost great chorus, love it. This song just is aggressive great melodic and rhythm guitar playing. Absolutely love the screaming and the strange mixed screaming. Overall great song. Perfect! 06. Eternal Rest - aggressive to old rock styles I hate it. I like the old rock bit but hate the start. 07. Second Heartbeat - this song is not bad a bit boring at the end of the song area but the intros great. 08. Radiant Eclipse - this song is great the intro is good and its agressive playing is great through out this. 09. I Won't See You Tonight Pt.1 - a great song. The solos are great, the piano sounds good. 10. I Won't See You Tonight Pt.2 - this song is fairly good but the solo and the bit after the solo is great. An average pt. 2 song but it will do. 11. Clairvoyant Disease - not bad at all great harmonization and fairly good sound. 12. And All Things Will End - this is a great finisher it sounds great i love the acoustic guitar the solo at the end. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good and so are the vocalisation. M.Shadows has a great scream and singing voice. Good for Metalcore. That's why I am dissapointed with City of Evil because Shadows has a Metalcore voice. A very good metalcore voice. This album people say it's emo but if you see the lyrics they are definatly not emo. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is there best. Better than Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and City Of Evil(average album) I'm happy with it. If this album got stolen of me I would kill the person who stole it that's how good it is! If I didn't find the person who stole I would get another one. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: kdownes, on may 26, 2007

Sound: The last of Avenged Sevenfold's metalore albums, Waking The Fallen leaves a deep impressionwith the listener. This is probably Avenged Sevenfold's best album, masterfuly combinging thumping riffs with face-melting giutar solos, beautiful melodies and catchy chorus. Synyster Gates guitar playing revolutionised Avenged Sevenfold's sound, takingthem out of the same-old-same-old and making them something completely different. They use everything from intense vocal effects and atmospherics (Waking The Fallen) to flamenco guitar (Remenissions) andpiano (I Won't See You Tonight Part 1). // 10

Lyrics: For a metalcore album, Matt Shadows writes some very deep lyrics. For eample, "Chapter Four" is the story of Cain and Able told from Cain's perspective. The chorus itself is only four line "I'm coming to kill you, Won't leave until you've died, Murder born of vengance, I'll close my brother' eyes tonight" And then Cairvoyant Disease gets it's message across skillfully with the bridge "Don't acknowledge right, Just dwell on wrong, This spot in hell's where I belong, I've come so far, it's been so long, Don't know why it started or where it came from" Matt Shadows really appears to have worked on his voice since Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, using a lot more melodic singing and 'melodic' screaming. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion, Waking The Fallen is Avenged Sevenfold's best album. Sounding the Sventh Trumpe was far too much screaming and noise for my liking, and City of Evil just starts to sound all the same. My favourite songs are (in order): Remenissions, Chapter Four, Clairvoyant Disease, Desecrate Through Reverance, Waking The Fallen and Eternal Rest. If this CD was stolen, I would get it again. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: Grayfox176, on july 03, 2007

Sound: By far, this is the best album, with a perfect mixture of the emotion of StST, and the overall other talents in CoE. It doesn't have an many guitar harmonies as CoE, but that isn't bad, because there are many things that make up for it and help to make it better than both counterparts. // 10

Lyrics: The screaming here is much better, a little more refined in the good way, and now understandable the whole time. It also shows that Shadows isn't the only good singer, as "Chapter Four," one of my favorites has two sets of vocals going, as Shadows screams his lungs out, and Synyster lets out a nice, melodic verse in the background. The singing here helps keep the music in more of today's "nu-metal" sound. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the first CD that I got for A7X, and it's still the best one, in my opinion. There isn't a song on this album I would say is bad. I also have to admit, this album really helped me through some rough times, as well as made a huge influence on me. I play in a band (lead guitar and lead vocals, thanks for asking) and to this day, the biggest influence in my band's music would be the constant harmonies that fill the song. If you can only buy one A7X CD in your life, make it this one. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: pandaman3000, on april 29, 2008

Sound: At first glance, an impressive set of work has been put into the album. A reasonable amount of time spent on it, but was it worth it? Yes. The screamathon that is Waking the Fallen certainly does as the title suggests; Wakes the fallen. It's that loud. Louder than thunder. Louder than I can even scream. But surely, that was the whole point, yes? With some great tunes that'll shock you even after owning it for ages. I find that I'll listen to a song, then hear it the same next time, but not with Waking the Fallen. With a total of 12 songs to play about with, the album is surprisingly worth the money I paid for it. // 10

Lyrics: With sounding the seventh trumpet, the lyrics made me want to think the next albums lyrics would be better. They are, by quite a lot as well. The lyrics are notably catchy in at least 8 of thhe songs, if not 9. M. Shadows is once again proving he deserves to stand in front of the most skilled musicians I have ever come across. The lyrics twist well into the song, giving plenty of thrills. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall feeling about the album is that there isa good vibe that runs through the album. The band make it seem so easy to produce good tracks, without any swears involved in this album. The song that impressed me the most as I Wont See You Tonight (part 2). The only downside I can think of is the song, Chapter Four. Parts of it are extremely similar to the Iron Maiden song, The Clairvoyent. This is actually the only problem, but it's a huge letdown to think that my heroes are copying my other heroes. If the album was stolen, I would buy it again, infact, I've got money stored away just in case! // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: Sizzleby, on august 29, 2008

Sound: This album, "Waking the Fallen" by Avenged Sevenfold is a lesson to all bands out there on how to create a sound. Some bands try to change their sound throughout their many albums, from one album to the next. On this album, Avenged Sevenfold successfully changes their sound, on just one CD. This isn't just one of those albums that bands release for the sole purpose of having a few "radio hits". This band didn't have any radio hits. Probably because their songs aren't fit to enter the mainstream. None the less, it has a sound that most people would like. Meanwhile, you can tell that every single song on the album had extensive work put into it. The vast majority of them have catchy riffs that you can't create off the top of your head. They take time to perfect. With this band's prior album, "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet", they decided to scream on the entire album. While not a choice I was fond of, they felt that was their style. This album brought singing into their music without losing the sound that the screaming creates. Every song tells a different story with it's own unique sound, and doing that front to back is a feat that not many bands can pull off. Though if you're not a fan of the angry yelling/screaming type music, this may not be the album for you as there are a lot of times when he lets his frustration out into songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album may not be as highly regarded as lyrics that other bands create, but there is no denying that the lyrics in each song do very well to match the mood of that song. That is usually the main goal, to make lyrics that fit with the song. Some of the lyrics such as the ones in "Chapter Four" refer to biblical times. Others, such as in "Radiant Eclipse" tell a struggle of a man. With the powerful lyrics that are created, M. Shadows does a very good job of singing/screaming them in a way that fully emits the perfect tone to the listener. He doesn't just have one voice throughout the whole album, but his voice has different tones throughout different songs that are able to fit the mood needed. In songs such as "I Won't See You Tonight Pt.1", his voice creates feelings of both anger and sorrow. The way he sings is usually the high point of many of the songs and without his unique voice, these songs would just be shells with no real direction. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to the other albums by this band, Waking the Fallen is their best work although City of Evil is not far behind. And as far as other artists go, I have yet to see something that can match the originality and sound that this album produces. It's hard to mention a song or two from the album because all of them are great in their own way. They don't use the same strategy to make each song great but instead they find a new way to make it noteworthy. Be it a catchy chorus as in "Chapter 4" or a thrilling intro followed by a epic breakdown as in "Eternal Rest", the songs on this album cannot be linked to each other as Avenged Sevenfold has made each one of them unique. They even show a soft side with the acoustic chorus in "Reminnisions" and the heart rendering power ballad "I Won't See You Tonight Pt.1". And just when you thought Synester Gates was an average guitarist, he shows you the full extent of his skills with the ear bleeding outro solo in "Second Heartbeat". Though after listening to this album, you may think you have their sound figured out, they come at you with the ending song of the album "And All Things Will End." It sounds completely different from the rest of the album and the outro solo must change tempo a good 10 times. Overall, I have never owned an album that has affected me the way this one does. I usually get tired of listening to songs after awhile but it doesn't seem to happen with this album, it just blows me away. If there was something I hate about it, it would have to be the fact that most of the song titles don't fit very well. Almost none of the titles are actually used in the song which leads to not even knowing which song is which. There is no way to tell because the song title has nothing to do with the actual song. They seemed to have corrected this in later albums as they actually do use the song title within the lyrics now. Just something that bands are able to correct over time and Avenged Sevenfold have done a good job of this. If you are a fan of power rock, a bit of screamo, or just some killer guitar, be sure to pick up this album. // 9

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: EddieOwen, on december 10, 2010

Sound: This CD is Metal Core, and it is metal core at it's best. The songs have a mixture of meanings. Some with references to religion and others, notably I Wont See You Tonight Part 1 + Part 2 are about Justin Sane's (Dameon Ash) attempted suicide. This, in my opinion is there best album to date. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are amazing, seriously each one of the songs have lyrics that are written like a story, with different things happening. You can really connect to the music. Matt Shadows boasts some insane vocal skills in this, his screaming compliments his clean singing perfectly. It's almost as though each one is fighting with each other, as if he has a good side and a bad side. My personal favorite part out of all the songs is at 0:52 on Second Heartbeat, where Matt has the screamo singing sing at the same time as the clean. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite album ever created, out of every other band. It's hard to chose a favorite as they are all amazing but if I had to it would be Unholy Confessions, Chapter Four, Eternal Rest, Remenissions and Second Heartbeat. I love everything about it, it is a complete masterpiece. I cannot recall how many times I have listened to it. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again, straight away. If you like Avenged Sevenfold buy it. Now. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: brandonsanchez, on may 18, 2012

Sound: I think all the songs are unique in there own way and are actually better than some of the new ones. Not mentioning that the album has no cussing in it at all it is safe for kids. The guitars in the song inspired me to want to become a guitarist because of how beautiful they are. The piano in the songs add even more style and add more beauty to the song. // 10

Lyrics: I think M. Shadows did a really good job on the lyrics of each song and that he screamed when it sounded good to scream and sang when it sounded good to sing // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is Avenged Sevenfold's best album, "I Won't See You Tonight" Part 1 and 2 and "And All Things Will End" have some of the best piano and guitar on any song ever made. // 10

Waking The Fallen Reviewed by: ChayceDavis#1DD, on may 18, 2012

Sound: "A7X" has a rather heavier sound than the newer albums such as the Self-Titled. But there's a catch. There is absolutely no profanity on this album! That proves that A7X can make a good album without dropping an F-bomb every ten seconds. I'd definitely say, plenty of distortion on this album. No song goes without a nice heavy riff. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are loud, and really make you want to start a mosh-pit. In "Waking The Fallen", most of the songs have heavy verses and very light choruses, proving that singer Matt Sanders (M. Shadows) can cover a big vocal range. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a fair bit like Seether's "Karma And Effect". Most impressive songs on the album are "Unholy Confessions", "Chapter Four", "Second Heartbeat", and "I Won't See You Tonight Part 1". I love the fact that this album was their last one with Hopeless Records. If I lost this album, I may buy it again. I would highly consider it though. // 9

More Avenged Sevenfold reviews rating latest review