Goodbye Lullaby Review

avril lavigne: Goodbye Lullaby
Released: Mar 2, 2011
Genre: Pop Rock
Label: RCA
Number Of Tracks: 13 (14 with hidden track)
The more emotional and introspective side of Avril Lavigne overshadows any edgy punk-like aspect on the new record Goodbye Lullaby.
 Lyrics: 6.7
 7.4
 7.7
Goodbye Lullaby Reviewed by: Gas4226, on march 02, 2011

Sound: After a long hiatus, 26-year-old Avril Lavigne is back with her impressive fourth studio album, Goodbye Lullaby. This is not a Let Go 2.0, neither Under My Skin 2.0, nor The Best Damn Thing 2.0. What was created in late 2008, Lavigne decided to shed her snarly punk princess persona from her third effort, and return back to her roots from the 2002 Grammy nominated record, Let Go and the 2004 rocker, Under My Skin. The album was done to be released on June 2010, but Lavigne's record label, RCA, wanted her to balance out the album with some radio friendly material. On August she starts working on songs with the producer Alex Da Kid, and said some songs would have a mix of hip-hop and rock music. However Lavigne had to fight with her label, because she wanted to an acoustic album, with a focus in her voice, instead of upbeat's mainstream songs. Well she did! Almost all of her song are acoustic-rock oriented, influenced by indie-rock/indie-pop and soft-rock music, but some of the songS sound really difference from her older work, although it seems like an album where Let Go meets Under My Skin a l Alanis Morissette/Dolores O'Riordan. 01. Black Star: this is an intro, it's a lullaby, sounds like some Coldplay song 02. What The Hell: a crappy power pop-punk that doesn't reflect her whole album, it's the most pop track of the album, and less personal of Avril. It was just a mainstream song that the label wanted. 03. Push: it sounds like any Alanis Morissette song (see 'All I Really Want''), good vocals. 04. Wish You Where Here: it reminds me of a mix of Let Go and more of Under My Skin. It is kind of mediocre, but the vocal's climax it's so orgasmic 05. Smile: catchy-upbeat rock song 06. Stop Standing There: it's bouncy, it's different, it's catchy. Her vocals have a desperate urgency to them which really adds to the song's atmosphere. 07. I Love You: very interesting beat to it. The lyrics are a bit cheesy, but when the chorus kicks in, such a catchy song! 08. Everybody Hurts: I thought it would be depressing. It turns a negative into a positive. Sounds kinda Blink-182's ''I miss You'' but with and indie vibe. 09. Not Enough: wow a good acoustic intro broke into a rock chorus. Sounds similar to ''With Me'' by Sum41. The musical style it's oriented like those 90s grunge ballads 10. 4 Real: the verses are a bit boring, but the chorus gets better. It's a good ballad. But it's such a cool and deep song, with indie music vibe. Sounds pretty similar to some Dolores O'Riordan songs 11. Darlin: the simplicity of the instrumental means that Avril's voice really comes through and drives the song, which is what she said she'd wanted to achieve. This song is certainly not single-worthy but it is a nice listen 12. Remember When: it leaves a bittersweet taste, tugging at your heart throughout. Like ''Not Enough'', this song have those '90 grunge-ballad oriented sound 13. Goodbye Lullaby: I love the piano and the strings. It's beautiful yet really sad. It's Lavigne's most personal song on the album, and where she named it. // 9

Lyrics: The explicit attitudinal cheery number, Smile, reflects Lavigne's rebel-like vibe with the bratty lyrics, You know that I'm a crazy bitch / I do what I want / When I feel like it. The pre-chorus is a sure fired up hit maker in the making with a cheery chorus that follows, You're the reason why I smile. The song, clearly directed at current boyfriend Brody Jenner chants, I woke up with a new tattoo / Your name was on me / And my name was on you. (Both Lavigne and Jenner have tattoos of each other's names.) In I Love You, Max Martin helped deliver is highly reminiscent of Jen Leckman's, Your Arms Around Me, while Lavigne sings, La, la, la, along with the melody and is almost shortly identical to that of Alanis Morissette's hit, Thank U, during the bridge's, oh, oh. Though the tune holds its own and could easily be a radio hit, Lavigne makes a slight hint towards ex-husband Deryck Whibley with the bridges lyrics, Even though we didn't make it through / I am always here for you. Push, written by Lavigne and best friend Evan Taubenfeld (whom coincidentally duets on the track), starts out with an acoustic vibe with jumbled fast paced lyrics. Though the chorus comes across screechy, the lyrics are very reminiscent of the rebel Lavigne with the lyrics, I'm capable of taking care of myself / So if you f--k this up / Than go take a hike. The tough love track was produced by Lavigne's ex-husband, Deryck Whibley, front man of Sum 41. Also produced by Whibley was the clap-finger snap-cutesy track Stop Standing There, self-penned by Lavigne which starts off with a frustrated Avril wondering what's going on in her significant others head. You're just standing by / You're just wasting time / Why don't you just tell me the truth / About me and you? The probing Lavigne sings in the bridge, Stop standing there / Stop acting like you don't care / Stop being scared, and ends the number with, Please tell me who you are / So I can show you who I am. Black Star, a twinkling star-like melody is only a 1:40 intro into the record, the track was self-written for Lavigne's first fragrance commercials jingle. Lavigne's soft and enchanting voice sings to her fans with the simple words, Forever you will be a shining star. The eleven-year-old in the making track written before Lavigne ever signed a record deal, Darlin' is a cute uplifting acoustic number about wanting better for someone she cares for. Pretty please / I know it's a drag / wipe your eyes and put up your head / I wish you could be happy instead / There's nothing else I can do but love you the best I can, she sings. Everybody Hurts, one of the earliest tracks written for the record starts out with an acoustic melody sure to win over lingered off fans with the first listen. With lost and confusion, Lavigne sings, Don't know if I can do this on my own it seems I'm losing something deep inside of me. With hopelessness, she sings, It feels like nothing really matters anymore, but uplifts the listeners with the chorus, It's okay to be afraid everybody feels this way / and it's okay. It's a reassuring and pleasant listen throughout. The 90s grunge ballads, Not Enough, and Remember When that pop up on the record are ear grabbers from the start. Both reflect Lavigne's recent divorce situation with Deryck Whibley whom coincidently produced both songs. I'm sorry if this hurts you, Lavigne vulnerably warns in the beginning of Not Enough. These feelings I can't take no more / This emptiness in the bottom drawer / It's getting harder to pretend / And I'm not coming back around again, Lavigne sings in the self-penned number Remember When, chorus. The self written tracks on the record, 4 Real, and Goodbye were produced solely by Lavigne, something of which she admits never saw herself doing. But with an impressive first timer producing credentials, Lavigne sings 4 Real's catchy ethereal bridge with the words, Hold me down / Hold me now / I'm safe / I'm sound / When you're around. Goodbye, starts with a piano and cello as Lavigne sings goodbye to her ex-husband as a sense of closure. Always know / That I love you so / Goodbye brown eyes / Goodbye for now / Goodbye sunshine. The lullaby ballad rings, La-lullaby / Help me sleep tonight. // 7

Overall Impression: Even the fact that its probably the most emotional, and most personal record, makes it her best. Her voice, her honesty and vulnerability overshadow anything I can possibly try finding wrong with these tracks. People who enjoys the music of Alternative/Indie/Pop-Rock singers-songwriters like Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Dolores O'Riordan, Liz Phair, Joan Osbourne... will love and enjoy the album. It's a master piece! // 9

Goodbye Lullaby Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 02, 2011

Sound: For her latest record Goodbye Lullabye, pop queen Avril Lavigne apparently went against a specific stylistic direction intended by her record company RCA with results indicative of this decision. While the new record does have a few tracks like What the Hell, which play upon her watered-down pop punk side that made her famous in the first place, the bulk of the tracks are on the more introspective side. Rather than hearing a collection of overproduced, upbeat pop tracks, Goodbye Lullabye churns out mellow offering after mellow offering. One can certainly speculate on how much of the material was inspired by her divorce from Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley, but regardless of the root motivation, there are quite a few songs that revolve around love and love-gone-wrong in most cases. The record begins with the short-and-sweet intro Black Star, with a piano line (quite lullaby-like in itself) that is both simplistic and haunting. Along with Lavigne's cherubic vocals, Black Star is an effective opener befitting the rest of Goodbye Lullabye. Yes, there are tracks like What the Hell that are pop singles through and through, but they are definitely in the minority. Lavigne's writing process was stripped down for the new record, often with an acoustic and vocals initiating an idea. That's absolutely evident, as many of the songs do still begin with that same minimalist approach. While it's certainly respectable for Lavigne to follow her own vision this time around, Goodbye Lullabye does often fall stagnant. If you relish hearing love song after love song, then you won't necessarily find anything wrong with it. Lavigne does have an amazing way of making up for a dull song with a big, passionate chorus when all else fails. The nitpicking side of this reviewer also can't get over her decision to take on titles like Wish You Were Here and Everybody Hurts which just can't compare with their more famous namesakes. No matter how heartfelt her music may be, there just seems to be a lack of originality in the core songwriting both musically and lyrically. // 7

Lyrics: Emotions rule supreme on Goodbye Lullabye, so don't be expect a whole lot of material in the vein of Sk8er Boi. Smile is a 180-degree different approach to anything else on the record, with Lavigne calling herself a crazy bitch and dropping the F bomb. Once she gets that out of her system, she dedicates pretty much the rest of the record to talk of emotions. Whether she's declaring, I can't wait to see your face (Stop Standing There) or imploring her lover, Tell me you feel the same (Real), she delves into the world of relationships pretty thoroughly. The final songs Remember When and Goodbye are the most solemn out of everything, and the lyrical content ends on a fairly somber note. // 6

Overall Impression: One certainly doesn't expect an artist pop star or otherwise to regurgitate the same style record after record. While Lavigne has written a record that is close to her heart and those emotional come through loud and clear, musically it falls flat in many places. Low-key or mellow arrangements aren't a bad thing, but the songwriting tends to get quite repetitive on Goodbye Lullaby. Lavigne should be given credit for not being a slave to the record label, but there are still plenty of single-worthy songs that should by no means alienate her from her core audience particularly given the fact that love songs always seem to be a shoe-in for radio airplay. // 7

Goodbye Lullaby Reviewed by: Avrill, on march 21, 2011

Sound: After four years of being busy with bringing out fragrances and designing for her clothing line, pop princess Avril Lavigne has finally come out with a new album. In contrast to her previous album 'The best damn thing', which was a collection of up-beat pop songs with punk influences, 'Goodbye Lullaby' contains mostly easy acoustic songs that remind of Michelle Branch. All songs have mostly the same instrument setting: acoustic guitar, drums and bass, sometimes piano, complemented with keyboard in the background. This gives all tracks mostly the same sound, also because there's not much variation in chord progression. 01. Black Star: cute little piano intro, that was also used for the commercial of the singer's own frangrance, also called Black star 02. What the hell: catchy pop tune that is kind of the odd one out and would rather fit her previous album, The best damn thing 03. Push: Clearly influenced by co-writer Evan Taubenfeld, who also happened to have done a part of the vocals, 'Push' has, unlike most other tracks, a catchy chorus, that is nice to listen. 04. Wish you were here: the opposite of the previous track, the chorus is a little bit dull, but I like the electronic effects. 05. Smile: An up-beat pop song, that would be my favourite, if the pre-chorus didn't sound so much like Green Day's Homecoming 06. Stop standing there: Starts very interesting, with a cool bass line, the clapping also gives a happy atmosphere. 07. I love you: has a heavy drum beat, combined with ukelele, but the vocal melody is kind of monotone 08. Everybody hurts: a very Michelle Branch-like, but nonetheless sing-along tune, that is one of the better tracks. An unchanging 4-chord progression played on acoustic guitar, gives the song a very catching drive. 09. Not enough: is clearly influenced by Sum 41's Deryck Whibley, who imo used his own song With me as an example. We can't blame Avril for that of course, since her ex-husband was the producer of this track. Still, a nice song with a great climax towards the end 10.4 real: a kind of dreamy tune, but not much different from the rest of the songs 11.Darlin:Starts very simple with only acoustic guitar, then additional vocals, violins, piano and drums come in. 12.Remember when: The acoustic guitar is traded for the piano, but doesn't stay away for long, her good friend already turns up in the chorus, but is less present. Towards the end even the electric guitar has a part. 13.Goodbye: Avril has musically saved the best for last with a calm piano ballad, which is the perfect ending for the album. The string quartet adds extra value. This calming song, is the perfect ending for the album. // 9

Lyrics: As Lavigne called it her 'coming of age record', I was expecting more mature lyrics, but the only prove of that I found was the fact that she mentioned sex: 'I'm messing with your head when I'm messing with you in bed', 'What the hell; 'I remember making out and then oh oh' Smile Other songs have a lot in common with what my 16-year old sister writes about: being in love and love gone wrong. I mean, a song titled I love you doesn't sound very promising anyway. It's a pity that in most songs, she uses the same line over and over again, it does help with singing along, but it gets boring after a while. The cutest song on the whole album would be without doubt Darlin, I can totally imagine her singing it to her teddy bear. No, just kidding, although I don't know what else to think about when I hear lines like 'put up your head'. // 7

Overall Impression: Goodbye Lullabye is sort of a mix between the acoustic sound of her debut album Let go and the lyrics of her second record Under my skin. Although I had liked to hear a more rock sound, she still managed to deliver a descent album, which is a big improvement compared with The best damn thing, a nice record to put on as background music while reading a book, but unfortunately no more than that. // 8

More Avril Lavigne reviews rating latest review