Let Go Review

7.3
 8.1
 6.5
Let Go Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Sound: Avrils sound is boring, dull and whiny. She shows no originality, although it would be hard to since she has none. She can play the guitar, (although I sometimes suspect faking it) but her playing is of a very low standard and extremly basic. Her songs are repeatitive, all use basic chords and strumming patterns. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremly basic, they show little or no emotion. Avril has no flare for song writing. Her songs could easily be confused for something a child with little vocabulary wrote. Even the topics which she writes about show little depth. // 2

Overall Impression: People have often referred to avril as a "punk princess" clearly she is a "pop princess" which is proven in this album. She is obviously a pop star who had dreams of being a little punk princess so he could write songs about skater boys, try to be a punk (but fail horribly) and complain. When I first saw Avril I thought she was some kind of joke, I thought to myself "Who is this poser who cant sing, write or even play guitar (other then the basic chords)?" I took no notice as a thought she was a pop-reject that the punk industry would reject her from her very first single "Complicated", however I was surprised to see her do so well and follow up with "Sk8ter Boi" (an equally dull pop tune). I find it disgusting that she has succedded to realise further albums, I cannot understand why avril has gotten so much attention which she clearly dosent deserve! It amazed me to see that the punk scene had accepted this talentless poser, who the pop scene would have rejected alot sooner. I had always thought that the punk industry had higher standards then the pop industry. I was disgusted by the acceptance of Avril Lavigne, are you so easily blinded by her poser antics? I have since realised that her popularity has not grown from the punk industry, but from bunches of pre-teens who are easily influenced. Knowing this has restored my faith in punk. I hope that anyone out there who calls themself a punk and listens to avril, can realise just how horrible her music is and come to discover some of the true punks out there like The Sex pistols, the clash, The Ramones and many many more. If her cd (which thankfully I do not posess) were stolen/lost I would cry with happiness, thank the person who stole it and throw a huge party! // 2

Let Go Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 17, 2003

Sound: Avril Lavigne's CD "Let Go" is a very refreshing album. I purchased it only going off of the one song "Complicated". I truely love this CD. I can listen to any song; I don't skip tracks to get to my favorite song. The fact that she is a girl punk chick and plays guitar and writes her own music is awesome and what real music should be. Her voice isn't a different sound so she isn't new in that respect. She combines Paula Cole and Alanis Morisette with a younger Michelle Branch tone. BUT--- she CAN belt it out as in her song "Anything But Ordinary". // 8

Lyrics: The problem is is that she has not written a whole song by herself. She co-writes with the Matrix and Clif Magness-- so she has some help. Every song talks about defective boys and defective relationships and depressing situations. No happy songs...snif snif. This is not always a good thing. But she is a beautiful talented girl and i think she'll be here a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: I recommend the CD totally!! // 8

Let Go Reviewed by: Blueherm, on july 19, 2004

Sound: Avril is not exactly your typical rock. Actually, her music is more pop than rock. Oh yes, it's one of those rock wannabes again who try and ruin our image, but this time, it's a pretty decent one. This album sold more than 10 million across the world, and it isn't surprising. It's something in her songs which make her 'special' in a way. All her songs are quite listenable and none I found annoyingly crap. Yes, she is a terrible skater and be's a complete rebel on MTV, and yet millions love Lavigne. As a debut album, it's one of the best ever. Nothing more. Nothing less. // 10

Lyrics: Typical lyrics. It's not disappointin' or somethin' like that, but their not exactly lyrics which has a lot of meaning and emotion. It's mostly about how Avril broke up with her boyfriends. Enough said. // 6

Overall Impression: I don't really think comparin' Avril to album is a wise idea, just the fact that there isn't alot of singers like her. Sure, there's the odd 17 year old artists you see here and there, but Avril is the best out of them. She's grown up now and made a huge impact on the music industry since the beginning of her career, no doubt about it, and this album is a fine example of her musical capability. Great album, reasonable lyrics that would make this album a good one. // 8

Let Go Reviewed by: TheGimpMaster01, on july 01, 2005

Sound: I think that Avril Lavigne (even though not 100% of her songs are written by her, all the words are) has an extremely good sense of music. The direction that the music goes is good. Going beyond this are the moods in the music that she sings. I've decided to write a review about Let Go instead of Under My Skin becuase there's a massive difference between the two, and I think I'll write one about Under My Skin later. The difference between the two is that Avril sounds much more mature in Under My Skin compared to Let Go. The words are much less superficial. But since I'm doing a review on Let Go, I should probably talk about it. If any of you have heard the song Get Over It from the Let Go (bonus disk), it is an amazing song. The words are impactful as the music happens to fit with the lyrics so well that you will be amazed too. The way that the song is put together is unbelievably well done. She (Avril) tends to write in two variable perspectives. One is the whole "I lost you/you left me/I wish you were here with me" theme. I think that some songs I've heard from other bands don't fit that theme (the music is happy, out of character). Another is the "I'm not ordinary, my life is hectic" perspective. I don't have much to say about it other than it's all well done (sorry for the bad description of that). Innovatively speaking, the guitar parts are well executed; no two parts of any song are similar (actually, the solo in Mobile sounds a bit like another song I've heard somewhere). The power chords aren't over done, and throwing in the acoustic guitar is also uber cool. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, like I've said, tend to be superficial, but in Get Over It (from the Let Go bonus disk), Too Much To Ask, and Naked, the words are more powerful. If you actually listen to the words while listening to the songs, you'll see what I mean. I just have this wierd thing with music, music makes me happy. // 8

Overall Impression: I will actually say that I haven't ever heard any other band I can compare Avril and her band to. I really can't. The best songs by far on the Let Go album are Losing Grip, I'm With You, Anything But Ordinary, My World, and Get Over It from Let Go (bonus disk). The songs just make me wish I had such a well put-together band (I'm in a band). I just in general love Avril Lavigne songs. // 10

Let Go Reviewed by: starbomb13, on june 21, 2004

Sound: The sound on the album is really catchy, with the nice guitar riffs and pure sound. The album is honestly really refreshing. It has the sound that can make a rocker appreciate the album, but it can also make a pop fan enjoy the catchiness,as well as make an open-minded music fan love the natural, refreshing, and pure sound. // 10

Lyrics: Well, Avril co-wrote every track from the album - the lyrics are honest,right-to-the-point, and it makes the listener totally relate, because they're about stuff that people actually go through. If you listened to "Under My Skin" (I know, I'm reviewing the album 2 years after it came out, and after her second album) you can hear and sense the maturing growth in lyrics. In "Let Go", they're still relatively mature, but listening to it, you know that's not all she's got, and that she can easily have a better album (just listen to "Under My Skin"). // 10

Overall Impression: When I first listened to the album, I immediately knew that a new sensation has arrived ( and I wasn't wrong). Anyways, I was impressed, and still am with the album. It's an awesome album, by an awesome artist, who makes awesome music. The girl's got potential-no, she has more than potential. I feel she's gonna be around for more than awhile. That's all I have to say. // 10

Let Go Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 23, 2004

Sound: Avril has put in very diverse musical styles into this album, which leads to amazing work. Her sound is based on acoustic guitars, and seems to work itself up. The overall result is very satisfying, from start to finish. This is an album a lot of people would love (but wouldn't love to admit). Honestly, you have to give this one a try. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simply wonderful. Not the best in the world, but they do fit very well with the music and deserve attention. Yes, Avril has written these herself, and I believe she did an excellent job, especially considering her age. They are heartfelt and will leave you listening over and over again. Her singing is beautiful. It was the main reason she got the attention of L.A. Reid, who was as impressed as I am. Once again, she is young, but her voice is capturing. From strong, angsty tunes to smooth, crooning ballads, Avril can make the songs work. // 10

Overall Impression: This album stands out above others, and for good reasons. Has a lovely mix of tunes, and is definitly something to recommend. I was most impressed with the songs 'Tomorrow,' 'Nobody's Fool,' 'My World,' and 'Mobile.' She put a great variety in the songs, which leads to different favorites. But I'm confident there's one to suit anyone. I absolutely love everything about it. I have no complaints. I have already had this one damaged, and went out the next day to replace it. It is worthy of being replaced. This is one album I was very impressed with, and recommend it. // 10

Let Go Reviewed by: littlesteph05, on november 30, 2005

Sound: For a first album this is great. Such a unquie sound. Each song has a compelety different beat, some faster then other, each song different from the last, which gives a different mood for each song. I must say for a debut ablum this is fantasic. With such a fantasic voice, muti-talented, and a unquie sound and all the way from canda I give you Avril Lavigne // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are kinda predicatable, but yet so great. Some of the songs on the album really do get you think, one good example of this would be "I'm With You." 01. Losing Grip - this a great start to any album, the lyrics are fantsatic. I guess this song is about loving someone that dose not really care, and your just standing there crying and just wanting someone to hear you and care for but they don't. I guess this one of those songs that make you think about releationships. 02. Complicated - well the lyrics here are not so complicated as it sounds. I guess this song is about tell someone to just relaxe and chill out. It's about wanting someone to stay as they are, at they don't want the guy to change, loving someone just as they are. I the hidden message in this song is saying love people for who they don't try and change there's no point. 03. Skater Boy - the lyrics here are so ture, if you like someone say out loud, tell someone, tell them, if you don't you could lose out. Everyone has someone they like, this song goes on about a girl and a boy likeing each other, the guy telling her, the girl not saying how she feels, then she ends up losing out. I guess the morel to this song is tell people how you feel, you'll never know they could feel the same. 04. I'm With You - I think this must be the most emtional song on the album, yet if you listen to it carefully most people could relate to one or two lines of this song. These are one of those songs that really dose get you thinking about all sorts, whats happened in the past, whats happen now and what could happen in the future. 05. Moblie - well the meaning to this song is in the title. Having to move around the lot, touring the world. You think about it sounds great but when you listen to this you relise it's not so great, you don't get see your friends and family so often, having screaming fans after you every where you go, and not being able to control where you go or when you go there. 06. Unwanted - another song that has the meaning in the title. It goes not about shutting someone not really taking the time to get to know this person, and feeling really "unwanted," feeling like no one wants to know you. 07. Tomorrow - well what can I say about this song. It's another song about relationships, feeling confused about whats going on, not knowing whats going on, not knowing whats going to happen. This is one of those songs that go on about trust, the most important thing in a relationship. 08. Anything But Ordinary - this song could mean so many things to so many people. To me the lyrics here go on about not wanting to be the same as everyone else, and how some people may call you a freek and you start to believe it yourself. Some of the other lyrics in this song go on about takin things to heart and how you fell your heart has been wriped out and how you feel there is no one to help you. 09. Things I'll Never Say - now this song is the compele oppersite to "Skater Boy." Here Avril goes on about how she feels she can't say how she feels and therefore won't say anything. She also talks about how she is trying keep calm, and not try to embarese her self. I guess this is the type of song everyone can relate, not being able to tell your bf/gf how you feel, coz you feel like you'll say something stupid. 10. My World - hey it's another song where the meaing is in the title. Avril talks about here her day to day life, get up, have shower, sort out hair. Not really knowing what to do with your life, feeling like it's the same thing all the time. 11. Nobody's Fool - what can I say. Well another great song for Avril. When the lyrics start you kinda sense that it is more hip-hop, then it gets to the chours you relises it's no way hip-hop. This is way Avril explains how she feels like she's on top of the world, and no one can bring her down. 12. Too Much Too Ask - lonelyness, saddness, feeling rejrected, relieseing he's just a jurk. All these come across in this song. It makes you think both girls and boys can be jurks. Avril here explanes your trying to make somone happy but nothing seems to work and you feel your asking to much of him and you feel that it just won't work. 13. Naked - what a way to end an ablum. This song goes on about trying to impress someone, caring for someone, trying to hide how you feel, but eventral they finds out. She also explanes how she feels around that guy, and she's just worried about the guy seing right through her. Avril is so talented, shes a great vocalist, and the lyrics really go with the mood of the music. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album, the lyrics, the music, the album ingenral is fanstaic. It's not the very best ablum I've heard but it is defentaly worth buying. There is nothing really to hate about this ablum, maybe dislike. The fact that most the songs on the album are to do with releationships, it kinda makes it predicatble apart from that it is great. // 10

More Avril Lavigne reviews rating latest review