Under My Skin Review

avril lavigne: Under My Skin
Released: May 25, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Teen Pop
An emotional and dark creation that captures many of the thoughts we find impossible to express.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 7.4
 8.4
 6.4
Under My Skin Reviewed by: Rockstar_450, on august 17, 2004

Sound: Pop princess Avril is back. The sound of this album shows good production, however nothing even close to original. All in all it is just Avril strumming some power chords, never leaving the major scale and sounding quite repetitive while doing so. However, if you liked the first album you will probably like this one. // 4

Lyrics: Avril seemed to set out to prove she can write solo, but seemed to have this backfire and show she can barely write at all. Happy Ending is one of her definate better attempts with some actual meaning behind the words, but just like the first album continues the trend of bad relationships and breakups. What one would expect from pop/punk. // 2

Overall Impression: The album is quite solid for Avril. But at the end of the day how solid is Avril? The album just welshes on already used ideas with the happy ending chorus following the same chord progression and sounding much like machelle branche's 'everywhere'. The commercial gains set out behind this album are obvious, and even with Ben Moody on her side, Avril seems to have revealed that she already showed the extent of her talent on the first album. // 2

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2005

Sound: "Under My Skin" is a hugely successful follow-up album to 2002's "Let Go." I liked that the sound was heavier than the first album's, with punching guitars and loud, catchy drum beats and amazing string arrangements. Notable are the acoustic-based tracks "Don't Tell Me" and "Nobody's Home." It just goes to show, you can be soft and strong at the same time. The piano playing on "Together" was interestingly simple yet catchy as well. I'd say this is a pop flavoured rock album, but really it's more of a modernized rock album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical content on this disc is amazing! Avril teamed up with Ben Moody to write "Nobody's Home," about a girl trying to find her place in the world, which I can relate to even though I'm a guy! Chantal Kreviazuk, a friend of Avril's, is the biggest co-writer with Avril on this album, and it shows to be a good combination of their talents! Chantal Kreviazuk's husband, Butch Walker, co-wrote with Avril possibly one of her most successful hits to date: "My Happy Ending." Most of the lyrics are sad on this album, which shows that Avril is capable of showing a darker side of herself, although the upbeat track "Freak Out" is pretty inspirational to say the least. You can tell that Avril feels what she writes, especially in the song "Slipped Away," about her grandfather who passed away while she was on her "Try To Shut Me Up" Tour. The delivery of the lyrics was amazing also! I knew this girl could sing, but the first time I heard this album all the way through, I thought "Damn, this girl's got lungs!" // 10

Overall Impression: Avril Lavigne sometimes reminds me lyrically of Michelle Branch but her vocal stylings are overall quite unique. The most impressive song on this album is "Nobody's Home." Her voice is one of the only pure voices in the industry, in a world full of pop tarts who can't sing a note (cough cough Hilary Duff) I'd congratulate Avril on a great album and I can't wait for the next one. I love everything about this album, I hate nothing. It's all good! No filler tracks here. All amazing! If someone stole this CD, I would go to their house and cut them! Then I would either get it back from them or buy a new one because their filthy paws touched my Avril! // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2004

Sound: Im reviewing a promo copy of the CD it's from work (I didn't steal it)I'm just doing this early. Well I will have to give it to Avril this album is her best and it's also less poppy and it's more full bands. Musically it's harder and superior to Let Go. There are still some ballads. But a lot less pop. Some of the best tracks on here are Forgotten, Take Me Away, Happy Endings, He Wasnt, Dont Tell me. // 8

Lyrics: The Lryic's on this album are way more mature then way you would expect she's definitely grown up and has become a better lryicist. But most of her lryics are from a relationship standpoint she got her now she hates him but it's not bad though. // 8

Overall Impression: Under My Skin is a far superior album to Let Go and it shows how much Avril has grown from the Sk8er Boi to a full fledged rocker. People who complained that she was a bit too poppy for there taste can now rejoice in Under My Skin in the fact that its a more rock-geared record. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: guitargal10, on may 25, 2004

Sound: Avril has grown up from her last album, as we can see. But the fact is, she is still using the same chords, only in different progressions. Her songs may have different names and lyrics, but the fact is they all sound the same. Change a few of the chords around, and the bridges, and the names and lyrics of the songs, and you will get the same thing. Avril has not yet explored a diiferent world. She needs to try new things, its ok for a few tracks to sound the same but not 12 of them. And whats with using the word dead like 4 times in one song? // 4

Lyrics: He left me. I was sad. He wasnt who I thought he was. Im mad. Don't try to make me do things I dont want to. While we are glad you are not singing about Crushing or Skater Boy anymore, and more mature things. // 4

Overall Impression: Well I think this album should be put into one song. Her best song was he wasnt. I think even though this album is showing a more mature avril, let go was far better. Let gos tracks are so unike and have thier own style, after each song you were feeling someting different. Under My Skin is a big complaining drawl that makes you want to just say shut up already. If I owned it and it was stolen, I would feel sorry for the person having to put up with avrils whining and 3-chording songs. If you like her single dontt ell me, please just burn it on a mixed cd, because the cd is not worth buying. // 4

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2004

Sound: Musically, Under My Skin is a much better album than Let Go. Avril has worked with a variety of collaborative musicians rather than "The Matrix" team and the album is so much better off for it. While I still wouldn't call this a rock album, there are some decent riffs and nice instrumentation this time around, particularly from the guitars and keys. Some tracks even feature some nice string orchestrations, and overall the sound is more mature than Let Go. There is still an underlying sense throughout that this is a pop album, but rather than aspiring to be something that it's not, it revels in being pop while drawing elements from other genres. // 8

Lyrics: I have to be honest, the lyrics here aren't all that impressive. They're simple and predictable. I found myself at times, through the first listen of each song, being able to almost tell exactly what the next line would be. I really can't see how anyone could think much of this album is a lyrical achievement; if you do, I strongly suggest you get out and listen to some lyrically stronger bands. Perhaps on the same "Average" standard is Avril's delivery of the lyrics. At times she seems almost careless, as if she has no connection with what she's singing at all. Come on Avril, you had much more involvement in writing this album than Let Go, so why don't you sound like it's personal? Somehow this emotionlessness doesn't make the album soulless as well; why is beyond me, but somehow this empty delivery is still aurally pleasant - Avril's voice itself is far more developed than on the first album. With all that said, despite at times disappointing lyrics and simple vocal delivery, it all comes together to sound quite appealing (particularly with the musical standard as discussed above) and I do enjoy it; however I can't justify a higher score. // 4

Overall Impression: Compared to Let Go, Avril's second effort is a much better outing. The lyrical work isn't always as good as on the freshman album, but it's important to keep in mind how much more input Avril had into the writing of this album and as such it becomes almost excusable in the sense that Under My Skin is Avril's first real shot at writing an album. A number of collaborations have paid off well, Chantal Kreviazuk helped on much of the album and Ben Moody's (ex-Evanescence) presence on 'Nobody's Home' is both obvious and pleasing, for me creating easily the best track on the album. It's difficult to really rate this album, as I'm torn between the fact that I think it warrants a 3 and that I want to give it a 4. The truth is that it doesn't really deserve a 3 because it is so much more enjoyable than to be called average. If you liked Let Go, you'll love Under My Skin. // 8

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2004

Sound: The sound in this album is much heavier than in Let Go. The riffs are more catchy and more relevant and generally heavier, although there are some lighter acoustics such as 'how does it feel'. You can hear other musical influence a lot more on this album ie 'Together' has the slick feel of a Blink 182 track, but is more individual than any other Avril track I have heard so far. There are also no space fillers and the songs do not merge as much as in Let Go. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have inevitably matured a lot since Let Go. All the songs are written by Avril herself and show various sides to her, from the lusting of Take Me Away and the anger of Forgotten to the care in Fall to Pieces and the remorse in Slipped Away. My personal favourite lyrics are 'Back under the stars/ back into your arms' from Fall to Pieces. // 8

Overall Impression: I really like the moody rock feel to this album. The best songs were Slipped Away, Nobody's Home, Together and Fall to Pieces. If I lost it I would definitely buy it again. There isn't anything I hate about this album. It's well worth the money, and Avril has really come out top and thrown off her 'fake' label. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: evantf*ckinrox, on july 23, 2004

Sound: Under My Skin definetly has a more hardcore sound than Let Go. While I like the catchy pop tunes on Let Go, the deeper more rock tunes on Under My Skin rock as well. // 10

Lyrics: I think they lyrics are greatly writen and have great meaning. In Slipped Away I can feel her hurt. This song actually makes me cry. Her voice has definetly matured and sounds much better, though I loved Let Go too. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album is definetly one of the best I have ever heard. she has great vocals, great lyrics and great backup music. Her band is awesome, especially Evan, he's hot too. She also looks very pretty and much more mature in the bookelt. I loved it. I would definetly buy it again if I ever lost it or just for the sake of buying it again! Avril Rocks! // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: busted_rock4va, on august 09, 2004

Sound: She is a rock princess she sounds amazing and has brill music skills. The sounds is great. This album is much better than her first. She sounds more grown up, and stronger in what she does. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are catchy and are really good. She sings about real life problems like relationships and losing family. She has an amazing voice. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is brilient. Have not really compared with other albums/artists. The most impressive song is 4 it is lively and catchy. The most emotional is no 12 it shows she has feelings and con express them in a poetic and sensitive wat and is not just a moody cow. I love everything about this album. If it were stolen I would deffo go and buy it again and again. She is my idol! // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2004

Sound: About the music itself it's awesome. The styles it was variety there's all kinds, pop 'How Does It Feel', rock 'Take Me Away, Gotic 'Forgotten'. The sound of this one is definitely better then the Let Go's sound. // 8

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are awesome the quality that Avril turns her sadness into words it's awesome. And compliance of the lyrics with the music its fine if it's a sad song its like a calm song or a gotic song but when we talk about a strong lyric the music it's completely strong like 'Take Me Away'. And Avril's skills high above the normal can't describe it. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to Let Go this album is better for me of course for people who like more the pure pop the first is better. The most impressive song's are almost all but the one's that I prefer are 'My Happy Ending', 'Don't Tell Me', 'He Wasn't', 'Nobody's Home', 'Who Knows' and 'Slipped Away'. I love it I listen to it all the time I won't do a trip without that cd. About what I hate nothing. If it were stolen or losted I would buy again and again. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2005

Sound: I think that the sound of the album is utterly amazing. When I first got my hands on the CD, I played it through over and over and over (a couple more times too) again. It is much more mature than the first album. I think that the whole sound, I guess, is much more gosh I'm at a loss of words, this album is pretty difficult to explain. Um, well I hope you understand. The guitar playing is very good and well done. Even just in Take Me Away, the very beginning, they took the first two measures of the song and put it backwards of sort of an entrance to the song. This was pretty original (it's been done before, but usually for more than 2 measures and less creatively). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are so much more mature than the first album. The words put together with the music makes for powerful and sensational music. I don't know, Avril's music just plain amazes me. It's also the words that play a major part in me liking the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This just doesn't compare to anything I've heard before (obviously excepting her other album(s)). The music is just extremely good. I wish I had a band that good. Her taste has definitly changed since the first album thought. It's much more electric-guitar-based, where as the first album was acoustic-based. Building off of the electric guitar gives it a much more hard sound than the first album. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2004

Sound: Avril Lavigne appears clad in a black tutu on the cover of her new album, Under My Skin. While on first glance this looks to be nothing more than a generic album cover, further analysis will reveal a poignant insight into the psyche of Avril and the theme of the record. For, externally Avril might appear standoffish, dark, rebellious, and anti-everything (as portrayed by the pseudo-goth duds), beyond the media misinformation she is simply a shy, vulnerable, impassioned little girl searching for her piece of a fairytale (hence the tutu). There are songs on Under My Skin that play to both sides of Avril.Don't Tell Me, the first single, quite obviously fits in the former category. Co-written by Avril and her guitarist Evan Taubenfeld before Complicated was even released, Don't Tell Me is a pro-abstinence power anthem designated as a bridge single to bring fans of Avril's old material into her new, more mature sound. Other members of this group include the following: He Wasn't - touted Sk8er Boi part II; Who Knows - an utterly catching song with all the markings of a radio hit; Freak Out - a divinely innocent track reminiscent of Green Day; and I Always Get What I Want - Avril's attempt at poking fun at her media image. It is in the latter grouping of songs where the heart of the album can be found. // 10

Lyrics: Under My Skin opens hard and heavy with Take Me Away. This track reveals the inner conflict within a girl wanting to protect her heart from being broken, while letting her love Take Her Away. Next is Avril's personal favourite, Together. The only mot juste for describing this song is Perfect, although perfection hardly does the song justice. It is here that Avril defines herself and establishes a sound that is distinctly hers. Another such track is Forgotten - a raging tirade that will rape you of your soul and leave you incensed, unhinged, and yet fulfilled. My Happy Ending, the second single to be released shortly, illustrates Avril's romantic inner-self, and the failure of her partner in meeting her idealized standards. While some passion is lost in the final production of the song, this is a brilliant example of Avril's growth since Let Go. The four remaining songs are softer, slower, but still forceful. How Does is Feel is a subtly emotional and beautiful ballad that pulls at your heartstrings with each of its many rises and falls. Then there is Nobody's Home - a collaboration with Ben Moody formerly of Evanescence, and a likely next single. This is the only song on Under My Skin where the subject is not Avril herself, which seems to grant Avril the freedom to create a despondent character and employ imagery beyond her usual capacity. Fall to Pieces is another romantically inclined ballad expressing Avril's desire to keep alive the flame of a failing relationship. The album ends with a magnificently painful ode to Avril's recently passed-on grandfather entitled Slipped Away. You can hear the tears in her voice, and anyone equipped with a heart cannot help but shed a tear at this sonorous eulogy. // 10

Overall Impression: Under My Skin is an emotional, dark, and rapturous creation that, in a mere 45 minutes, captures many of the thoughts we find impossible to express. In this more organic sophmore attempt, Avril proves her talents when she is given the artistic freedom to create an album free of external pressure. Those who explore the CD for themselves will be rewarded with an intelligently written and well-executed album, which is sure to become the soundtrack of a generation. As the promotional tag says, Avril Lavigne's Under My Skin is sure to get under yours. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: starbomb13, on may 25, 2004

Sound: The sound is definitely more darker and deeper than "Let Go". It's harder and less poppier, eventhough she did say that she purposely made a couple of more catchy songs, just to be radio friendly. The first single "Don't Tell Me" is the poppiest, but don't get the wrong impression that that's the sound for the rest of the album. The listener can obviously detect a more mature, grown sound. // 10

Lyrics: Avril has co-written every song from the new record, with some help from Ben Moody, Chantal Kreviazuk,Butch Walker and Raine Maida. The lyrics are nothing like "Sk8er Boi", she wrote about how a death can affect someone (her grandfather died) called "Slipped Away", a song called "Nobody's Home", which is about a girl who's trying to find a place in the world while trying to overcome the s--it around her(it's a song anyone can relate to). Overall, all the lyrics are relatable to anyone- they're real, honest and deep. // 10

Overall Impression: This album really shows what's going on in the girl's head- it's about introspection about things that matter. It really shows how she's grown from "Let Go", and if you really take the time to listen to it with an open mind, you're bound to feel the honesty and deep feelings. It really pulls her away from the stupid labels she was given from the first record. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 29, 2004

Sound: Being a "30 Something" listener there was always something about my daughters "Let Go" album that I found intriguing when she popped it in the player. Despite a couple average tracks this album is excellent sounding and cannot be compared to "Let Go". "Under My Skin" is a much more mature album with a deeper and darker sound to it. There is a good mix of Punk guitar riffs that are much heavier than before before while the darker accoustic themes are much more distinct than her previous release. Throw in the somewhat haunting synth keyboards and the some of sounds of songs on the album are reminicent of The Cure or The Cranes. A good example of this is track one "Slipped Away" which I feel is the most moving and best song on this recording. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are much more mature but there is a definate perspective of teen peril and struggles throughout. That is the theme she seems to capture and I think that teen perspective is very real and perfectly sets up the dark and dreary mood of the album lyrically. There is definately more input on this recording from Avril and at times it shows her weaknesses but even so this is a much better and personal effort from her. // 8

Overall Impression: If you had doubts about this girl forget it. She has stepped out of the box and answered the call on this album. She has taken big risks going the direction she has because she could of released another weak bubble gum recording. In this album you can see she has matured as an artist, songwriter and person and if you step back it is easy to see this is view into a teenage girls perspective on life. This is a deep album and despite some of what I would consider occasional teen themes that pop up this is a great album musically that I can listen to all the way through. Avril has proven her talent and answered the call of her biggest critics. Like Michelle Branch she will be around for a long time. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2004

Sound: My first impression was it would be more mature and a heavier kindof sound then her debut cd. The first song just stats it all (Taking me away), it has a angry and a troubled sound to it. Avril used a mix of different sounds, a lot of more heavier riffs and some songs are more acousticly written. // 8

Lyrics: My overall impression of the songs, more mature and the songs are written in a say alot of people can relate to. The last song, (slipped away) it's aobut losing your grandfather, it can really be about losing anyone, your sister, uncle, grandma. The songs and the music blend and make the song a whole. If the lyrics were any different, or the sound of the music, this cd would have been terrible. Avril she can sing, at some points her vioce becomes unique and makes the song unique like in Dont Tell Me. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the songs take me away, together, forgotten and fall to pieces, because i can easily interpret the song and relate to it. also just eh riffs and the way avril sings it makes it even better. it's 10 times more worth then buying the 1st cd, her first cd was very popish, now it's a glimpse of the tru avril we love. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2004

Sound: Nothing innovative here, musically; it's all pretty standard pop/rock fare. Avril's voice is higher pitched than on her first record, though she doesn't sound as Autotuned as she did then. She sings at a fairly constant volume and stays high in her range pretty often and it makes for a grating listen at best on most songs. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are terrible. Yes, Avril wrote them herself and that's nice, but try reading them without listening to the music and see if you get anything out of them. Even the lyrics from the song about her grandfather's death, "Slipped Away," come across vague and flat and sound like they were written by a little kid, not a legal adult. No offense to her grandfather's death, and I'm sure she was sad when she wrote them, but the lyrics express nothing. In just about every song, she goes back and forth between predictable cliches and stream-of-consciousness stuff that doesn't express much of anything. It's like she just wrote without thinking. She even sounds bored singing them most of the time. // 2

Overall Impression: If anything, this album shows that Avril really isn't a good songwriter. I can understand her wanting to prove that she's capable of writing without The Matrix, but this only proves that she isn't. Also, for someone who makes such a big deal about being able to write her own songs, it's a wonder that on all of her released material she's only been a co-writer. Not a single song by Avril herself. Songs are music+lyrics, not just lyrics. // 4

Under My Skin Reviewed by: xcipher21x, on june 02, 2004

Sound: The overall sound of this album is defiantly more rock and less pop and less of a Michelle Branch sound than the Let Go. Although there are 4 songs with a pop sound as Avril would say "radio songs". This record has a lot of piano which gives a darker sound than the last record. On this record avril co-wrote a song with Ben Moody and several others with Chantal Kreviazuk and most of those have a dark sound. Very smart decision to pair Av up with those two. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome on some songs but on others you're like "what is she talking about?" On some songs the verses and/or the bridge has nothing to do with the chorus or the overall meaning of the song and some just don't make sense! Those are all awesome songs though. When on the singles the bridges and verses and chorus' all fit together but the others just seem like they were thrown together. Her skills are defiantly an up grade from the last record. It's more high pitched and more mature, along with the lyrics. I think most people could relate to some songs on the album. The harmonies are awesome and there's also some spoken parts on some songs (hard to hear) and it gives a cool sound. There's no 3.5 so I give it a 4. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a thousand times better than the last. Britney Spears, Hilary Duff, x-tina, and every other pop tart out there needs to take lessons from Avril to figure out how to be real. Avril seems to be become more real and breaking away from pop. "Take Me Away", "Together", "Nobody's Home", "Forgotten", and "Slipped Away" are in my opinion the best songs on there. I loved the overall darkness on it. I'm not sure what I hate about it. If it was lost, I would buy it again. It's defiantly worth buying. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: pop princess, on july 15, 2004

Sound: Like it. It's difernt from the other album, its more of a sad yet rocky feel to it, and Avril's voice mixes great with the music some of which she plays herself. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a bit shabby but I am impressed that she has written all the tracks on her album with little help. But some of the lines are strange such as 'you gave me that kiss that made me go oh-oh' little things but track 12 shows her feelings and things that you can relate too. // 6

Overall Impression: Very chatchy music, good to sing to and good to play to, I like the album a lot and I think that people who have her 1st album and like it should go and get the 2nd, it's well worth it! // 8

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Sound: This second album from Avril is a lot more rock and edgy than her first album 'Let Go' with a lot more use of electric guitars and pianos. With songs like 'My Happy Ending' and 'Together', the album is a catchy one making it easy to play and sing along to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this second album are more mature than on 'Let Go'. I was also suprised by Avril's ability to write and get her emotions across in songs like 'Slipped Away'. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think this album is more mature plus it has more catchiness than 'Let Go'. My favourite songs on this album so far are 'My Happy Ending' and 'Together' but every song on the album is good to listen to so I'd say all of the songs are my favourites except for 'He Wasn't' and 'What I Want' which is an extra song on the album. I think Avril's voice goes well with the type of music and if I lost the album I think I'd probably buy it again. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2005

Sound: Avril has turned into what used to be I'm a punk and I'm proud to grown-up and still rockin! Her sound has more maturity to it. She's based it on electric guitar and piano. Where as before it was more acoustic & eletric. Overall it is more rockin than last! // 10

Lyrics: Her lyrics have also matured along with the sound. On "Let Go" He lyrics were about highschool crushes, break-ups, her hometown, and making her ex-regret. Now on "Under My Skin" it's more about: guys taking advantage, the death of a family member, etc. It has more life expereiences sthat she has expressed into a rockin song. // 8

Overall Impression: Avril (do I even have to say it?) Is awesome! She rocks hard and is not afraid to let her feelings out. Overall avril is my favorite artist and "Under My Skin" is my new favorite album. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: littlesteph05, on november 22, 2005

Sound: I love this album, it's a completley new sound compared with her old alum "Let Go." All the songs on the album are really catchey. All the songs have a different sound to it, making this better then her last ablum. What is really good about this ablum is the fact that the music goes with the mood of the song. // 8

Lyrics: Since Avril's last ablum the lyrics have murtured a lot, and they seem to go more indeepth when it comes to relationships, some good examples of this would be "Don't Tell Me," "He Wasn't" and "Who Knows." In these songs Avril talks about how some guy seemed so right to start with, but turned out to be so wrong. But "Who Knows" goes on to say how the guy is so right for her, and how she feels they are meant to be together. In one song we see Avril in totally new light. "Slipped Away" is a good example of this, she dosen't go on about how bad her relationships, or what she thinks of that dude. In this song she talks about the last time she someone and how much she misses them. The lyrics really get me thinking about the relationship I have, not just with my boyfreind but freind and family as well. // 9

Overall Impression: This is with out a doubt the best album Avril has released. Out of all the albums I've got this would have to be the best. It's catchy, it get you thinking about everything and everyone. I think the song that sticks out most would have to be "Slipped Away," simply because it changes the whole outcome on the album. As well as this song another I thought that stood would have to be "Nobody's Home" and "Who Knows." I love the way these two songs sound so different yet sound the same. There is notthing about this ablum I dislike, it's a fanstaic ablum, I just the next one will be just as good, which I'm sure it will. // 10

Under My Skin Reviewed by: eric19, on may 18, 2006

Sound: This new and well-produced album is a total different sound compared to Let Go. Under My Skin is more guitar driven and much more melodious. Simple piano sounds can be heard in "Together" shows how much she had changed from the last album. It is more rock, emotional and personal in a way that the sounds show the mood of the songs in this album. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically her songs could be improved. She could have wrote more lyrics to the songs like, "Slipped Away" and "Together". But no one can deny her songs describe well how she feels about broken relationships, when her grandfather died and so on. What is amazing is that some lyrics are as catchy as the last album. "Don't Tell Me" is a more matured song of "Complicated" and the lyrics is amazingly done. It is good that Avril made contributions frm other talented songwriters and artists. Butch Walker did well for her songs, so as Ben Moody which made her single, "Nobody's Home" hot rated. Chantal did a good job with helping her in the album too in couple of songs. // 9

Overall Impression: It may not be lyrically as good as the last album but the sounds of the album bring out the song, not only the words. This album is more of modern rock which most people would like it. I like this album so far because it is well written, although could add some more lyrics, and it is well composed with heavier guitars and piano's melodious sounds. It is worth buying the album because the songs can relate to one's personal life. That's the whole amazing thing about this second album. // 9

More Avril Lavigne reviews rating latest review