Venom Review

Awesome Snakes: Venom
Release Date: 2006
Label: Crustacean Records
Genres: Rock
Venom may be self-referential, vulgar, goofy and weird. But it is never pretentious. The album is the sound of people having fun, and people being honest about their musical intentions.
 7.8
 6.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Venom Reviewed by: stonyman65, on december 19, 2006

Sound: This isn't your normal band. it has two members Danny (Drums, Vocals)and Annie (Bass, Vocals) from the MPLS band The Soviettes. Awesome snakes is a side project. It's more a screw around band. I got all of the songs off Itunes after I found the band on Myspace, so I don't actually have the CD. they write songs about things that are awesome and things that are about snakes. that's just funy. Kind of like the Tenacious D of grauge-punk. the only instrsaments used are drums, bass (well, actuall I thing it's just a barritone guitar but I'm not shure) and some old sound effects from self help tapes, old 50's UFO movies and keyboards, it's kinda funny. The band isn't the must technical but if you really listen too annie's bass playing she plays it like a guitar (kinda like Billy Sheehan, just without tapping and slaps) and she tremolo picks like crazy, she's really good. // 10

Lyrics: Great, not the best but good. The lyrics are funny as hell and danny kinda has that B-52 guys voice which makes it that much better. Annie can sing really well, she has definitally improved her singing since The Soviettes' days. The music and the lyrics blen pretty well, lots of overdrive on the bass too. the drums are kinda weak sound but it's not that bad once you consider that they recorded it in someones basement. MPLS rapper P.O.S. also is on the CD for the song "P.O.S. Vs. The Awesome Snakes". great. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this to other albums or artists, because it's the first of it's kind. I have never heard anything like it. My favorite songs are "If you don't like snakes, I don't like you" "Awesome Party," "Awesome Snacks," "I Want A Snake" and "You Got Snakes All Up In Your Grill". I like the album but their are certains songs like "Whiskey Vs. Police" which are just some wierd soundbytes. I also wish they would have some guitar too but whatever. If it where lost, I would hit up Danny and have him send me a copy of the CD, hopefully autographed, and call it a day. // 8

Comments