Vultures Review

axewound: Vultures
Released: Oct 1, 2012
Genre: Metalcore, Groove Metal
Label: The End
"Vultures" is the debut album by the British-Canadian supergroup AxeWound. Matt Tuck wasn't lying when he said it's a heavy record.
 7.4
 7.7
 7.1
Vultures Reviewed by: xxSynxgxx, on october 04, 2012

Sound: When listening to the record disregard the fact the this is a side project of Matt Tuck of Bullet For My Valentine listen to it with "open eyes" so to speak this is AxeWound. The sound of this record is heavy in your face music. Best way to describe their sound is if Slipknot and Pantera had a child. Track by Track: 01. "Vultures": By far the most disappointing track on the record (not saying it's bad just disappointing). I expected more from this track seeming as how its the title track and Synyster Gates wrote the solo. Vocally not to impressive. It does have have cool riff's and drums, but its not really a memorable track. 02. "Post Apocalyptic Party": This track is weird. It goes from complete heavy in your face to a little clean section back to the in your face then a unnecessary breakdown. The breakdown goes on for to long should be cut down instead of a 1:15 breakdown to at most a 30 second breakdown. It is very catchy vocal wise which is what saves this track. 03. "Victim Of The System": Okay now this track has some cool sh-t going on in it. The drumming in the intro is pretty cool and the guitar is pretty sick all the way through. This track is a pretty killer track all around vocals guitar and drums. 04. "Cold": By far the worst track on the record. Its not even that it's a bad track it's just so out of place from all the other music. Its just out of place. Guitar is pretty heavy and vocals are heavy till chorus. 05. "Burn Alive": Starts of a little to slow but it picks up really quick. This is one of those tracks that is very catchy and very heavy at the same time. The drums on this track are pretty freaking awesome and the guitars are just in your face the whole song. Vocally its pretty in your face and the chorus is pretty catchy. 06. "Exochrist": This song is one of the best tracks on the record. It's intro is epic and the riffing is epic and memorable. The combination of the drums and guitar fit the vocals perfectly. Great song its really surreal. 07. "Collide": Kinda a weird track to talk about. It's heavy and soft at the same time. Starts off with a piano but when the guitars come in the song just gets weird. This is a track you'd have to listen to for yourself. Its a good track overall. 08. "Destroy": Okay this is a good example of the "Pantera Slipknot child". Its guitars and drums are just epic and vocally insane. The song is awesome and the vocals are probably one of the best parts of this song. It has that 80's metal thing going on but modernized. Second best track on the record. 09. "Blood Money And Lies": Best track on the record fast and heavy and the best example of the "Pantera Slipknot child" it has amazing guitar parts and the drums flow with the track, the vocals are pretty stellar and are flowing with this track as well. 10. "Church Of Nothing": this ones another one of those bad ass tracks on a record. It starts out with drums then a cool little bass part and then guitar comes in. Pretty cool riffing but the chorus is kinda iffy but its solid. The riffing is what save this song and keeps it afloat. // 8

Lyrics: Overall the lyrics are decent however some tracks stand out like "Church Of Nothing", "Blood Money And Lies", "Destroy", and "Exochrist". Songs they weren't so good on were "Cold", "Vultures", "Post Apocalyptic Party" and "Collide" (well "Collide" is good lyrically but it's just not as creative as the other tracks). Liam's screams fill every song and are more understandable than your average screamer and fits the songs I couldn't see anyone else screaming these tracks. Matt's singing fits when it applies. "Exochrist" is a track where his vocals are just awesome and the screaming is awesome. "Destroy" is another track with awesome lyrics "so now the time has come to kiss your a-s goodbye" the way its whispered is just stellar and is one of the many things that make that track stick out. "Blood Money And Lies" has an awesome scream part where Liam screams "f--k you, f--k me, f--k everything" and it's just brutal. "Church Of Nothing" has some pretty awesome moments lyrically such as "we're all dead in the eyes of the lord". // 8

Overall Impression: This record is an amazing record and every song on the record is a great song not one song is horrible, their is some bad tracks but no horrible. Matt Tuck wasn't lying when he said it's a heavy record. If my physical copy was broken or lost and I couldn't find it I would absolutely buy another copy because this record is so surreal. // 8

Vultures Reviewed by: jaybrink10101, on august 05, 2013

Sound: Right, so like the previous reviewer, I advise you dispel from your mind that Matt Tuck is in this band. Yes, most of you hate Bullet For My Valentine, and that's cool, but this isn't Bullet. This is Axewound. Matt's initial statement on this was that it was "Metal as f--k" and "like the bastard child of Pantera and Slipknot." It isn't. It's a relatively solid metalcore/groove metal album with some good, some great, and some disappointing songs, not in any way a polarizing album that you will either love or hate. It simply is. I bought the CD, listened through, and put it into my album collection. The drumming is solid, the bass typical, the guitar seems to revert to open D every verse and then shift to some predictable chorus chords or the odd breakdown, all capped off with some fairly good lyrics presented by the great Liam Cormier and Matt Tuck. 01. "Vultures": I quite like this track. The riffs remain heavy throughout Cormier's furious "Death to traitors off with their heads" over an excellent staccato riff into a smooth melodic section, then a mighty respectable solo from Gates and back to top energy for the outro. 02. "Post-Apocalyptic Party": I didn't like this one at all, but it seems I'm alone. The pre-chorus frustrates me, the idea of a post-apocalyptic party did nothing for me, the awkward clean section feels like it kills the song, and the outro drags. Strip that away and you're left with a great song skeleton the verse riff is meaty and the chorus fine, but I didn't like it. 03. "Victim of the System": This is more metal. Political lyrics, some nice harmonized tremolo picking, some slick drumming, crazy backing vocals from Matt (not fanboy crazy, like borderline gutturals and a few black metal-esque shrieks), heavy riffs, Cormier keeps kicking ass, right up my street. 04. "Cold": This is a single, and it sounds it. It's not a bad song in any way just feels a little contrived at times and the chorus is dangerously close to a Bullet song. I personally really liked the song the verse seems to roll more smoothly than the rest of the album to this point, as does the prechorus. I even liked the off-kilter breakdown. Like I said, it's not a bad song, just the one they've opted to sand the edges off and polish a little. I liked it. 05. "Burn Alive": Again, this is more metal. The intro didn't really grab me, but the main body of the song is pretty kickass. I'm not a huge fan of the stop-start chorus and for the first time, I need to criticize Liam Cormier the guy's hardcore shout just doesn't fit over the very metal trem-picked post-chorus section, but this is quite a strong song. 06. "Exochrist": This is one of the strongest tracks off the album between Matt's anthemic chorus and Liam's vicious verses, the song just rolls from section to section. It's one of the more melodic tracks, but no less heavy for it. The "drag me to hell" bridge section manages to slip in and throw some nice atonal stuff without messing up the song's flow. Really nice. 07. "Collide": For me, this was the strongest song others hate it. It kicks off with some haunting piano, then some jagged guitar riffage with strings superimposed behind that for an enormous theatrical feel. Matt takes the verse, before Liam comes in on the next section and screams his lungs out. The chorus isn't vocally great, but the guitar manages to compensate for it. You also get a nice quite piano bridge into a heavy bridge section, then right back into the song. The drumming is quite cool too. 08. "Destroy": Yup, here's another metal track for you. This is the closest you're going to get to Pantera (aka not very) but that's okay. You get some pretty flowing metal riffs. Matt whispers a horrendously cheesy "now the time has come to kiss your a-s goodbye..." in the prechorus, but a nice harmonised bridge section compensates for it. The chorus is nothing too memorable. 09. "Blood Money and Lies": Pretty kicka-s song here it's basically a collection of metal-as-hell riffs, trade off screams between Matt and Liam, and a sludgy, gritty southern-sounding chorus that for the first time in the album, doesn't seem like a step back in intensity. This has a distinctly thrashy feel at points, and then into that really sludgy chorus. 10. "Church of Nothing": This starts off with some tasty drums, then some groovy bass, then some pseudo-sweepy riffage, then into the predictable open string verses, average chorus, nothing special, but nothing disappointing either. The breakdown is pretty slick too, as is the harmonized section that follows it. It is the only song to feature a solo from one of the band members it's not great, but a long way from terrible. We also get to see a brief barrage of double kicks in a few sections. Overall, the album is nothing outstanding, but nor is it terrible. The riffs feel somewhat generic despite the fact that there are no metalcore clichs, the instrumentalists rarely step outside themselves or push the boundaries, and the songwriting can be very formulaic, but at the same time some chorus lines pull you in, some breakdowns made me unconsciously head bang, and some full songs made me grin. There are some songs that I really liked upon first listen ("Collide," "Cold," "Exochrist") and others that grew on me ("Vultures," "Blood Money and Lies"), and others that I don't care for. It's not a must-have album, but the quintet have potential and I'm interested to see how it works now that they're a band rather than simply a vent for Matt Tuck's leftover riffs. On another note, the production of it is quite smooth they've managed to sound stripped-back and full at the same time, and I quite liked the album's sound and feel. // 7

Lyrics: In Axewound, I've found a somewhat average vocalist who I really like Liam Cormier, also of Cancer Bats. This guy has been criticised for not being "metal enough" for Axewound, and whilst I see the logic, I beg to differ. I think his hardcore-type yells fit the songs well, though at times, particularly in the long screams, his grit fades out, leaving him sounding strangled, but that's being super picky. He brings a level of raw fury to the album which elevate it far above its raw musical potential, and that I appreciate. He is very much a one-trick-pony, but I don't care he's all about a vehement, stripped-down hardcore yell that taps into your inner anger. Matt Tuck surprised me on this album I was expecting generic clean vocals dominating it, but he performs less than you might think, and branches out a lot. He grits up his singing for the "Blood Money and Lies" chorus, but for the rest of the singing, it is just tenor cleans. His screams though wow. It's nothing like Bullet he can do borderline gutturals and truly brutal mid/high screams that wouldn't sound odd in a black or death metal band, and he does, either in trade-offs or doubling Cormier. Lyrically I haven't really paid much attention, but Cormier's precise and clear yells mean that you pick up large sections on the first listen an added bonus of his distinctive scream. He's clearly mad about something the first track has him shouting "Death to traitors, off with their heads," "Cold" offers up "PAIN - my salvation, I'm not afraid so f--k you and your apathy, FEAR and frustration, you give me nothing, so take back all your sympathy. BREAK - this is carnage, destroying all my strength and all my dignity. SNAP goes your backbone, If you're addicted to pain then come and get some more," "Collide" "I want to feast on your spirit, I want to make you my slave." The lyrics are clear and based around religion, politics, and life in general. All angry. Nice. // 8

Overall Impression: In re-reading my review, I feel like I've been way too harsh on this album, and yet I disagree with nothing that I've written. This really is a solid album it has all the bits and pieces needed. The whole open-string-two-count-run-open-string verse pattern fits well with Cormier's rhythmic vocal delivery, the riffs are heavy, the choruses largely catchy, the drums well-crafted and energetic, and the vocals outstanding. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that I dislike about this album, but I guess it's mostly just a sense that it could have been done better it could have been in my top 10 albums of the year. Tracks like "Vultures," "Cold," "Collide" and "Exochrist" aside, I feel like we should have been presented with some shamelessly hardcore, thrash and groove-metal inspired songs with long chains of Lamb Of God style riffs thrown in with huge anthemic choruses, technical solos, thrash drums, hardcore-style staccato offbeat guitar sections and the occasional long melodic bridge God knows they're capable of it. Instead we got a smorgasbord of riffs thrown together in what seems like a logical order and that ticks all the "metal" boxes. I truly thought this was a good album it was just a long way from great. "Vultures" and "Exochrist" are brilliant songs and I absolutely advocate buying the album because most of it makes good listening to. Props go out to all the members for creating this album the songs were assembled and recorded in under two weeks, which perhaps accounts for why some of it felt contrived but overall I just couldn't help feeling that all the songs should have matched the likes of "Vultures" in quality. I must reiterate this is in no way a bad album. If I was to take my top 5 songs and put them on an EP, I would rate it much higher than I have here, but unfortunately the score has been lowered by what I feel are some disjointed songs, unmemorable choruses, and riffs that didn't live up to the metal potential. I have high hopes for this quintet and will watch with interest I want them to succeed, because they've shown in several tracks that they can.

// 7