All Or Nothing Review

9.4
 8.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
All Or Nothing Reviewed by: peatemark, on february 27, 2004

Sound: Aynsley Lister is an amazing young blues rock guitar player from Leicester, England. His sound touches on influences as varied as Rory Gallagher, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Gary Moore, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Johnston and AC/DC. That said, it would be a huge injustice to merely label him as a guitar player. He writes and plays all sort of stuff, from straight out rock tunes (balls of steel), bluesy shuffles (coming home to you) and acoustic love songs (Without wings). His tone, touch and sound are 100% original Aynsley. The guy has an amazing feel, never overplays, and you feel that every note means something. With his Fender strat and Les Paul and power trio format (Drums and Bass)rhythm section backing him up, hes left with the space to do his thing. For those of you who like your guitar playing, dont worry - Aynsley can wail, like in 'Balls of steel', or get some tasty slide happening on tracks like 'Rainy day' and 'Say Goodbye', then moves on to some power crunch on 'What u Got 4 me'. Not many people would be wise enough (stupid enough?) to record a hendrix cover - but Aynsley pulls it off no sweat with a cool version of Crosstown Traffic. // 8

Lyrics: One of Aynsleys strengths is his songwriting ability. Nearly all of the songs are auto-biographical and about his quest to 'make it' and the shit he's had to deal with along the way, in particular 'balls of steel' and 'sometimes it gets to me'. Far from being over emotional rubbish, Aynsley has a real feel for story telling, and delivers these with feel and power. The music fits perfectly with the lyrics, even the mellow accoustic track 'without wings' does not seem out of place. he knows how to build a song up to bursting point, then bring the listener back down again, before unleashing some awesome guitar playing on yo ass! As a final word- ya cant go wrong with tracks titled 'Balls of steel'! // 8

Overall Impression: WOW! This guy really rocks! Anyone that loves quality rock music, tasty guitar playing and great songs should buy this album. This is a move to more of a rock format for Aynsley, after his first two studio albums (Aynsley Lister, Everything I need) and a live accoustic solo album (Superkev and pilchards). I can honestly say this is one of my favorite all time albums, by one of my favortie artists. Not many people outside of the Uk and Europe have heard of him, but he's well worth the time to check out. There isint a poor song on the entire album. Aynsley is the future of blues-rock guitar and I strongly recommend you check out his stuff at www.aynsleylister.co.uk // 10

More Aynsley Lister reviews rating latest review