Into The Future Review

7.7
 7.3
review (1) 20 comments vote for this album:
Into The Future Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 21, 2012

Sound: Bad Brains are a hardcore punk band out of Washington D.C. Since 1977, this unique rock and roll act have gained nationwide attention with their seemingly strange combination of punk, reggae, and heavy metal genres, which have made such albums as "Rock For Light" and "I Against I" considered classics. And now, the Bad Brains have rocketed back into 2012 with their first album within 5 years, appropriately titled "Into The Future". And within the first few seconds of listening to the title track, I can easily say that the Bad Brains are right back to their signature style of tunage. While dominating power chords make up the song's backbone, Paul Hudson (also known by fans by his stage name, H.R.) pushes out those vibrantly dynamic vocals and singing style that fans have come to know and love. Musically, the band is tighter than ever, with raging bass beats and thunderous drum beats echoing throughout each track, which also get your foot tapping in no time. The production quality on this new album is also incredibly noteworthy, as it helps provide the entire record with a nearly overwhelming 70's classic texture and vibe. This D.C. gang gives a pretty dynamite performance on "Into The Future", that rocks so hard there's not that much for me to nitpick. // 8

Lyrics: Lead vocalist Paul Hudson has a very unique singing style and overall sound to his voice. If I had to help pinpoint it, try thinking Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong meets Drivin' N Cryin's Kevn Kinney. Paul adds a very heavy accent into his singing, which at times can get a little tedious, but at other times it's what helps make the entire song. In other words, it's a dual edged sword of sorts. When it comes to lyrics, throughout many tracks off the new disc Paul pays tribute to Adam Yauch, member of the Beastie Boys who unfortunately died earlier this year (RIP), by referencing such songs as "Intergalactic" in his lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, "Into The Future" is a nostalgically powerful return for the Bad Brains. Guitar playing is top notch, vocals are otherworldly, and the bass and drum beats knock more sense into you than humanly possible. What more could you ask from a Bad Brains comeback album? I was able to enjoy the entire new album, but if I were going to play favorites, I would say "Youth Of Today", "Suck Sess", and the title track are a few of this album's brighter highlights. Whether you are an existing Bad Brains diehard, or a fan of rock and roll, reggae, punk, or metal, you should be able to find at least a track or two that suits your musical tastes. // 8

- Lou Vickers (c) 2012