Stranger Than Fiction Review

bad religion: Stranger Than Fiction
Release Date: Aug 30, 1994
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk, Hardcore Punk, LA Punk
Stranger Than Fiction is back to the go-for-the-jugular stuff, pretending that the wonderful modifications and variety of their recent work never existed.
 9.7
 9.4
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Stranger Than Fiction Reviewed by: Alex101, on april 08, 2006

Sound: Bad Religion's follow-up to "Recipe For Hate," "Stranger Than Fiction" is I think considered to be a great CD ever to be sold to any store near you (along with "Suffer," "No Control," "Against The Grain," "80-85" and others). Too bad this was going to be the last album to have guitarist Brett Gurewitz in the band until he was able to rejoin for 2002's "The Process Of Belief" and he still is a member of the band today. Brett Gurewitz had to leave the band because he had to get involved with the Epitaph Records company since there were many bands singning to it. When this album came out, Bad Religion were no longer on Epitaph. // 10

Lyrics: As far as I recall, Bad Religion have always been able to write good lyrics. The key tracks on the album are "Incomplete," "Stranger Than Fiction," "Tiny Voices," "Infected," "Television" and "21st Century Digital Boy." Tim Armstrong (yes, the same guy from Operation Ivy, Rancid and Transplants) contributed backing vocals on "Television" and Pennywise's singer Jim Lindberg also contribued backing vocals on "Marked." // 10

Overall Impression: Stranger Than Fiction is one of my favorite albums of the year 1994, the year punk rock largely came back to the mainstream sucess for the first time about over 10 years. My favorite songs off this album are the ones I listed above. The last song "21st Century Digital Boy" originally appeared on the 1991 album "Against The Grain," which is last album to feature the "Suffer"/"No Control" line-up. The song became a single when it appeared on this album. If you don't have any Bad Religion albums, buy the ones that feature Brett Grurewitz, "Suffer," "No Control," "Against The Grain," "80-85," "Generator," "Recipe For Hate," "All Ages," "The Process Of Belief" and "The Empire Strikes First," because the albums without him aren't really great. I've recently been hearing that Bad Religion are now recording a new album that should be out later this year. If this album is lost or stolen, I'm going to buy it again. // 10

More Bad Religion reviews rating latest review