Snacktime Review

barenaked ladies: Snacktime
Released: May 6, 2008
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Desperation Records
Snacktime is a children's album release from Canadian band Barenaked Ladies released on May 6, 2008.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Snacktime Reviewed by: Skierinanutshel, on september 08, 2008

Sound: Being a kids album, you would think that BnL would have to change their sound, right? Well, no, not really. Each song contains that quirky musical quality that we know to love coming from the band, combining with a newer lyrical theme(but I'll touch on that later) that we have yet to see. The story goes that the members of Bnl, being family men, wanted to create an album that is not only enjoyable for diehard fans, but also can be appreciated by kids. This is shown by a more staccato-style of playing, which matches with the lyrics being less fluent as the other albums from BnL. // 10

Lyrics: The album starts with "789", which is a song about how '7 ate 9'. Simple, but it always brings a smile with the presentation of the vocals by Ed and the group. Followed by 'The Ninjas', sung by Steve, the simple but quirky lyrical theme is followed. Every member has a lead vocal part on the album (even Tyler!) which shows just how musically talented this band is. Each song is lyrically written for children to understand (although a few may need another listen through for some children to understand, see 'Crazy ABCs') and enjoy, which I find is amazing considering the 'catchiness' of the songs. These songs are definitely not 'simple' or 'boring'. // 10

Overall Impression: As the latest release from BnL, you get 24 tracks of solid musical fun. Both my 7 year old brother, and my 40-something mom have fun listening to this album when I play it. 'Snacktime! ' is just the kind of album that you crack-up when you listen to, whether it's Ed and Steve rambling on with each other, or a song about erasers that get you to smile. Although I have not seen the book that accompanies the album, but seeing as how Kevin does the artwork, I can imagine the artwork may be a litte eccentric, as his usually is. Overall a great album for all ages! // 10

More Barenaked Ladies reviews rating latest review